[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A reminder that LOTR is nothing but childish banalities. Let

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: george-rr-martin.jpg (31KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
george-rr-martin.jpg
31KB, 620x413px
A reminder that LOTR is nothing but childish banalities.

Let based George elaborate.

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.
>>
>>80011857
Yeah I'm sure he quibbles with this dead author every night in his most demeaning nightmares.
>>
What about their farming cycles? They spent a lot of their time fighting a war, did they store enough wheat for the winter?
>>
>>80011857
Does this baffling idiot not understand that LOTR doesn't intend to portray reality? Its fucking idealistic on purpose, harking back to the ancient epics of Greece etc etc
>>
>>80011857
Yeah, but what was Robert's tax policy?
>>
>>80011857
Because LOTR was based off of myths, specifically Nordic ones, which placed very little emphasis on tax policies. It's not that difficult to understand.
>>
File: Oedipus.jpg (47KB, 533x450px) Image search: [Google]
Oedipus.jpg
47KB, 533x450px
>>80012240
What was his Tax Policy?
>>
>>80011857
>makes brave honourable king burn his daughter alive

Truly GRRM is a much better writer than Tolkien
>>
>>80012419
this hasnt happened in the books
s6 was pure fanfiction
>>
>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though.
hasn't his series become this as well?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
WHAT CAN MEN DO AGAINST SUCH FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY?
>>
>>80012240
Sure, but it is true that this has inspired a whole generation of fantasy authors writing the exact same boring childish black and white fantasy. Too bad that GoT is going down the same path with the white walkers these days
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>80012492
my friends [spoilers] I hereby exempt you from tax [/spoilers]
>>
File: secondbreakfast.jpg (65KB, 1280x528px) Image search: [Google]
secondbreakfast.jpg
65KB, 1280x528px
We had an IPO, yes, but what about an SPO?
>>
>>80011857
>>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

This is dumb. Tolkien was writing a fantasy epic and exploring the minutiae of the world like tax policies or ethnography wouldn't work with the genre conventions.

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

This is a valid opinion. Tolkien has become the template for nearly all fantasy literature and breaking the mold in this regard is absolutely fine.
>>
>>80011857
is GRRM actually autistic?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.