[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Smeagol's obsession an analogy for drug abuse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: smeagol.png (177KB, 590x369px) Image search: [Google]
smeagol.png
177KB, 590x369px
Was Smeagol's obsession an analogy for drug abuse?
>>
I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.
>>
>>79961407
*politely claps*
>>
>>79961407
> no no, the fact that all the bad guys were Middle Eastern, described and Mongoloid and came from a country that looked like Turkey has no connection to my real life world views.
>>
>>79961358
Wait, what? All along I thought he was just a simple heroin junkie.
>>
>>79961358
Yes, he was addicted to the Ring's magic. In fact, ring owned him, just like drugs own the addict.
>>
No it was a clear depiction of an addiction to power causing a total corruption of one's will.
>>
>>79961358
no hes just lotr fans.
>>
>>79961358

Yes, Tolkien battled a morphine addiction he got during the war when he was wounded at Gallipoli.
>>
>>79961358
>You're a drug to me Precious.

Fuckin' seriously?
>>
>>79961358
Do you think Smeagol ever put the ring on his dick?
>>
>>79961358
>Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee - but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.
>>
He was enchanted by the ring, spellbound. He was addicted even though it only withered him, giving promises that were never fulfilled, just misery.
Maybe it was drugs, power or even hopeless love. Possibly all of them. Addiction is always the same in the end.
>>
>>79961507
>Look! I'm projecting and ignoring the realities of war, again!
>>
>>79961358
literally crack
>>
>>79963559
>Addiction is always the same in the end.
In my experience, drug addiction ends in 3 ways:

>tolerance rises to the point where you can't get high and spend the rest of your life avoiding withdrawals
>Overdose / disease death / jail
>Quitting because you've fucked your life up
>>
>>79964052
Gollum had the ultimate addiction then
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.