[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /tv/ think of Mad Max on water?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: waterworld.png (794KB, 970x545px)
waterworld.png
794KB, 970x545px
what does /tv/ think of Mad Max on water?
>>
File: painting (7).png (3KB, 320x120px) Image search: [Google]
painting (7).png
3KB, 320x120px
I love it, but I'm not /tv/, so I don't know.
>>
>>79955562
>Mad Max
It's Unlikely Ulysses.
>>
I'm surprised there are so many threads about it. I don't think anyone ever though it was good. I'm ancient and I remember when it came out, I think I went and saw it in the cheapie second run theaters, and my reaction was "meh". I remember Dennis Hopper being particularly bad. The only thing it was notable for was going way over budget.
>>
File: wwsetatdock.jpg (17KB, 500x246px)
wwsetatdock.jpg
17KB, 500x246px
It's pretty mediocre to lower end but the effort put into the sets makes me hard
>>
>>79955562
It was good.
>>
One of my favourite movies, watch it about once a year.

Don't fall for the "Extended Cut makes it a good movie" meme. Extended Cut adds about 40 minutes of pointless filler scenes with secondary characters and completely ruins the pace.

Theatrical is a masterpiece, though.
>>
>>79955562
I liked it well enough.
>>
You see the cool set design and want to be able to say it's an underrated gem but overall it's pretty uninteresing and without much entertainment value.
>>
Great premise. Terrible execution.

They need to give it the Westworld treatment and reboot it as a serious sci fi series.
>>
i love it mate
>>
>>79955562
something about it is so comfy

absolutely abysmal third act
>>
>>79955562
Fucking Fishmankino t b h m8
Also Based bad guy Hooper
And prime Jeanne Triplehorny
>>
>>79955562
First act is great, where they're on that huge atoll set. After that the movie's pacing takes a nosedive and it's really boring for a while. The finale is mindless fun though.

overall 4/10 desu famalamas

>>79956500
damn I might have watched the extended cut by accident. That would explain the shit pacing in the second act.
>>
>>79955562

Kevin Costner was a visionary, but he was a decade too early, before the post-apocalyptic genre really took off.

That and he's a mediocre filmmaker.
>>
It wasn't very good.
Why the fuck does he have gills>
If a fucking city is close enough to the surface of the water to have light why aren't there mountains sticking out all over the place?
What was with that shitty schmaltzy ending?

Basically if it weren't for Dennis Hopper the movie would be a total wash.
>>
>>79955562
Great production design, mediocre story. It's ok i guess.

Love the anamorphic shot of the flare falling down tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvbhy5lDgY
>>
MUTATIONNNNNNNNNN
>>
>>79956899
Kevin Reynolds is the director here, not Costner.

He has much better movies, like Beast of War, Rapa Nui or Count of Monte Cristo.
>>
Honestly the film's biggest problem is that it can't decide whether it wants to be a hard ass dystopian edgelord movie or a goofy mainstream old fashioned good guys vs bad guys swashbuckler, so it tries to be both and ends up being weird and contradictory in tone. Still has tons to love, though.
>>
I really love the MC.

The way he treats the girls, about MUH STUFF. Any other protagonist would go "oh, that's cute", but he's like BITCH I TOLD YOU. And the women do screw up his boat alot, he's right all the time.

I dunno, it's childish, but it's on point.
>>
File: 2.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
oh thank god
>>
Am I the only one who noticed that the camera never zooms out very far? Almost all of the shots seem to be close up to the boats, but what really could have helped the movie were a few shots showing the vastness and emptiness of the ocean. That sense of scale that would create a feeling of being alone in a wilderness of water. Think the wide shots from films like Lawrence of Arabia, where we see how the characters are dwarfed by the barren endless landscape. It's like we never get that feeling in this because the camera always has us comfortably in the boats.
>>
>>79958404
When you blow all your money on sets you can't spend money on helicopters.
>>
>>79958404
I think there were enough of such "scale-conveying" shots, although I wouldn't mind more.
>>
>>79957311
this

"dystopian edgelord" stuff is fucking dank & legit, and the 50s adventure hero-shit mightve worked too, but its just jarring & unfulfilling
>>
>>79958823
why?
Act 1. World-building.
Act 2. Character development.
Act 3. Big action piece to end it all on a high note.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.