[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pure unadulterated Kino

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: silence-movie-poster.jpg (54KB, 485x752px) Image search: [Google]
silence-movie-poster.jpg
54KB, 485x752px
Pure unadulterated Kino
>>
>>79912188
What was a bigger snub, this not being up for Best Picture or The Neon Demon not being up for Makeup?
>>
>>79912188
So has fucking nobody seen this?
>>
>>79912188
I love it.

>>79914361
Almost nobody has. Blame marketing. Also, this is /tv/. People only start watching movies here after the yify rip comes out.

>>79912211
Silence for Best Picture. TND was snubbed for Art Design and Cinematography.
>>
File: 2016.jpg (2MB, 1366x2324px) Image search: [Google]
2016.jpg
2MB, 1366x2324px
>>79912188
>>79914361
Best film of the year easily OP. Wasn't it refreshing as fuck? One of my fav Scorsese's
>>
>>79914433
>colonia

that shit has the worst acting in all these movies, pleb
>>
>>79914433
i guess i gotta give whoever made this some points for even remembering colonia
>>
>>79912188
I didn't get it. What was the point?
>>
>>79914361
it opened in zero theatres near me. I would have had to drive ~100 miles on a work night to see the ONE (1) playing they had closest to me. I wanted to see it real bad though
>>
>>79914361
It hasn't opened in Europe
>>
>>79912188
when is the rip out
>>
https://youtu.be/wc7wSfo3B9Y
>>
>>79914788
it was out in early january for like a week
>>
>>79914788
has in uk bro, watched it nearly a month ago
>>
>>79914788
It has but In my cinema they have one screening daily (compared to 7 - seven - of fucking Grey shit) and when I was at my girlfriend city in the same brand of cinemas they had none.

Its probably not explosive and funny enough for normal audience
>>
>>79914492
Because you have a hate boner and shit chops autist. Arrival has shit acting.
>>79914530
I made it and props to you too then bro
>>
>>79914788
I'm European and I've seen it in the theater. Opened late january.

>>79914824
To quote CWC: NOT AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD
>>
Best film of the year, no question.

I hate that it got no awards attention. It's almost like the far left Hollywood heiarchy has something against positive depictions of mainstream Christianity on film. Hmm...
>>
>>79914361
I wish I could have, but it was only playing several hours away from where I live.
>>
I had to drive an hour into the city to see it. It is absolutely an anomaly that such an amazing, well made, beautifully-crafted film go no attention, despite it being made by Martin fucking Scorsese and starring two Academy Award recognized actors and an up and coming actor from damn star Wars.

It's almost like there's an active anti-crusade to delegitimize Christian art.
>>
Would you have stepped on it, /tv/?
>>
File: TND.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TND.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>79912211
LOL Whatever pretentious Refnfag
>>
After seeing it, it felt pretty easy to understand why the novel was said to be so unfilmable. Scorsese is able to make all the individual scenes work well, it's very well shot and acted throughout the movie, but it doesn't just work as a whole. It's so long and slow and it never really manages to culminate at any point, or come together in a satisfying way. You're never fully engaged with the story. I mean, it builds to the moment where Garfield breaks, but you don't ever truly get to feel his vulnerability, shame or loss of conviction. And while that sort of feels like that's half the point, mirroring Garfield's disappointment when he finally meets Neeson and sees the news about him renouncing Christianity were true, it doesn't have the power to move you in any way. I kinda feel it's too clinical with the subject matter, when it really ought to have be more artistic with the depiction of the persecution and the Japanese trying to force apostasy on the Christians.
>>
>>79915322
Good post. I was too positive of the movie and I can't sort out what you said there.
>>
>>79915134
In the position of the peasants, yes. But in that of the priest I'd want to say no, thinking the effect it would likely have on the peasants to see you apostatise wouldn't be worth (maybe, if the inquisitor kept his word) saving them from physical suffering

>>79914978
>I hate that it got no awards attention. It's almost like the far left Hollywood heiarchy has something against positive depictions of mainstream Christianity on film. Hmm...
>>79915114
>It's almost like there's an active anti-crusade to delegitimize Christian art.
To get no attention at all it seems like the only explanation. I suppose the fact is in modern society people have no interest in and don't want to explore matters of faith and religion despite it being an important facet of the human experience if nothing else
>>
I wasn't a big fan. Scorsese's better at depictions of excess. I'm sure he loves Dreyer and Bergman - in fact I know he does - but he just can't replicate their tone.
>>
>>79915468
The priests apostatizing is a great dilemma, that the movie doesn't really focus deeply enough, because in a way you'd certainly ease their immediate suffering, but you would end up damning the souls of your flock if it inspires others to denounce their faith.
>>
>>79914788
I have seen it and i live in a shithole city in Slovakia.

Issei Ogata should have been nominated for supporting actor.
>>
>>79912188
>Christians export there filthy religion to other nations.
>get exactly what they deserve.

I agree.
>>
>>79912188
Masterpiece. Fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>79915468
The problem is to understand that facet, do we try to feel with our weakened faith, or do we try to use our improved understanding of the history of the time?

To me I feel that to understand why it was a big deal for a priest to apostatize can only be understood with a Discovery/History Channel explanation show. Not with a drama.
>>
>>79915114
>despite it being made by Martin fucking Scorsese and starring two Academy Award recognized actors and an up and coming actor from damn star Wars
I don't think these names are really that bankable these days. They are all hit and miss
>>
Is this movie pro-christian?
>>
>>79916668
Not really, but It does expose just how infectious a concept like christianity can be despite being based on lies and being totally removed from the culture it is taken up by. It also shows just how difficult it is to extinguish ideologies.
>>
>>79916668
Yes with a detour
>>
File: 1266365669899.jpg (73KB, 512x600px) Image search: [Google]
1266365669899.jpg
73KB, 512x600px
>>79915907
>>79916726
Yess Birry.
Fight the white pigs.
>>
>>79916668
yes if you are christian, japs are reasonable and well written though
>>
>>79916794
Where does it paint Christianity as good? The point is that the christian japs have a blind faith in a religion that makes no sense and can give them nothing in their totally alien culture. It's little better than hysteria. Being a christian makes no sense in the non christian world, even less than muslims who realise they need to act like they will assimilate (taqiyya) until they outnumber non-beleivers.
>>
>>79914361
Saw it in theaters. It's the best film I saw this year, but it's far from flawless.
>>
>>79916962
How many films are actually flawless?
>>
File: murray.jpg (61KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
murray.jpg
61KB, 300x360px
>>79916907
Your interpretation of the story is so ridiculously skewed. Try putting aside your anti-religious bias for a second viewing.
>>
>Silence is better than any other film of 2016
>The Young Pope is better than any other show of 2016
Is the West finally growing out of our edgy adolescent atheist phase? Fucking finally
>>
>>79915661
>Issei Ogata should have been nominated for supporting actor
Diversity only applies to blacks
>>
>>79915114
>It's almost like there's an active anti-crusade to delegitimize Christian art.
Or people aren't interested in 3 hour period dramas that asks deeply personal and complex questions about religion with no clear answers
>>
>>79918916
*tips*
>>
>>79912211
>check Brutally Honest Oscar Ballots
>Best Cinematography
>Always say how Silence was "too Christian" for them

Could've been a masterpiece (and probably was) but it stood no chance in neo-Hollywood.
>>
Marketing is what led to this movie's lack of success. The trailer doesn't explain the movie at all and most people I talked to never even heard of it.
>>
>>79918916
>no clear answers
How would that even be possible?
>>
>>79919102
I loved the film, but that exactly what it is. So who is tipping, Marty?

>>79919396
Compared to a film like Passion of Christ, which had a very clear narrative for audiences to sympathize with and was a huge success.
>>
It's a very Japanese film. I can see why it was Scorsese's passion project. Kurosawa would have been proud. Not surprised at all it got snubbed at the Oscars. Does anyone even give a fuck about those things at this point anyway
>>
>>79914361

Kek.

Its 10/10 kino.

Literally havent been this impressed since Interstellar.
>>
>DUDE I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD BUT I DO BUT I DONT BUT I'M JUST PRETENDING LMAO
this """"movie""""" was trash i had to fast forward through 90% of it
>>
>>79919664
Atheists belong on a cross. Any regular person would be able to empathize with Rodriguez' struggle with faith.
>>
>>79919734
And if not faith than just morality. The more suffering we see the harder it is to not blame the priests for forcing it on the peasants in the first place.
>>
>>79919734

Im an atheist and I loved "Silence". Please use your fucking brain for once.
>>
>>79914549
>I didn't get it. What was the point?
They literally spell it out to you in the movie title
>>
>>79912188
It was ok.
>>
>>79915322
Well said.
>>
>>79917986
Anti conversion isn't anti religion
>>
It's a great movie, I really wish Scorsese had spent the past 25 years making stuff more like this, but I guess stylish gangster and pseudogangster movies makes more money.
>>
I am curious that the position against conversion is often called atheist or even anti-religion. But I might be oversensative since the Japs didn't do much other than being atheist and anti-religion in this movie
>>
>>79921985
It's considerably hard to get funding for this type of film.

>Hey I want to make a film about the oppression of Christians in Japan in the 17th century, a super niche subject
>It's going to mostly feature priests doing sacraments on Japanese peasants in small huts, hiding from the Japanese government, and then the second half is the main character sitting in a different small hut, imprisoned, watching the peasants being tortured and killed in front of his eyes
>oh, and the ending is basically about him apostatizing and being silent about his faith under the oppressive governance and surveillance of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
>And don't worry, I'll have Liam Neeson be in it for like five minutes, guaranteeing big crowds
>>
>>79914433
Nice chart bice double dubs
>>
How did Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge make the cut over this?
>>
>>79922592
Do you really have to ask?
>>
>>79922375
>hiding from the Japanese government
That's a real downer if people want another Last Samurai
>>
>Originally it was going to star Daniel Day-Lewis and Benicio del Toro, and be shot in the summer of 2008
>Instead Scorsese ended up making Shutter Island and we got Garfield and Driver, eight years later

Man, what this could have been.
>>
>>79922696
>>79922696
>Daniel Day-Lewis and Benicio del Toro, and be shot in the summer of 2008
Man it could have been so much different. I don't think Shutter Island is worthy of the loss
>>
>>79914400
Hahaha neon demon for literally anything. I know you think you know a lot abou movies but you don't. You're an idiot
>>
>>79916726
you mean it shows how christianity naturally flourishes unless stomped out by genocide
>>
>>79918048
Western and Northern Europe is mainly atheist, what the fuck are you even saying?
>>
>>79912188
>Japan, or any foreign country hostile to westerners, gets away from persecuting its own people, as usual
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.