[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched Enemy and anyone else blown away by the movie? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

Just watched Enemy and anyone else blown away by the movie? I thought it was some sub conscious battle but I read a slate article that takes a deep analysis and how gyllenhaal is a man trapped in a spider society that is oppressing humans

this movie fucking blew my mind
>>
>>79774121
what the fuck is a spider society
>>
>>79774154
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/14/enemy_movie_ending_explained_the_meaning_of_the_jake_gyllenhaal_and_denis.html

shit blew my mind
>>
File: IMG_6689.jpg (174KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6689.jpg
174KB, 1024x576px
>>79774121
>but I read a slate article that takes a deep analysis and how gyllenhaal is a man trapped in a spider society
>>
>>79774121

Enemy was the most awesomely thought-provoking film I have seen in a long time.

You can interpret it as literal or metaphorical. Either way, you wont be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR-ATzF-sHI

>AFTER THE LIGHTS GO OUT, WHAT WILL YOU DO
>>
>>79774213
god damn the education system is failing
>>
File: 1473093589281.jpg (7KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
1473093589281.jpg
7KB, 250x243px
Okay I admit I'm just a dumb frogposter.

Can someone please explain to me what this movie was about?

What's the deal with that giant Spider?

What was that weird fetish club shown at the beginning?

How come the protagonist had an exact doppleganger?

What's the meaning about all that talk about totalitarian dictatorship?

So many questions. I enjoyed watching it but have been wracking my mind trying to understand it.
>>
Those literal spider scenes were fucking awesome
>>
>>79774646

Its either a metaphor for feeling trapped by a pregnant wife, wanting to fuck other women and essentially the idea of adultery turning a man "into a different man" than himself.

OR its a literal sci-fi setting where spiders took over (or are taking over) the world and are oppressing humans (hence the underground club where they kill spiders).
>>
File: 1482644033853.jpg (33KB, 493x497px) Image search: [Google]
1482644033853.jpg
33KB, 493x497px
>I’ll offer a theory. While Enemy has been billed as an erotic thriller and a doppelganger movie—and it is both those things—I think ultimately it’s a parable about what it’s like to live under a totalitarian state without knowing it. It’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie in which you don’t even realize it’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie until the end—until it’s too late for our hero. In this case, the body snatchers just happen to be giant spiders.

I don't see how you get this from the movie, for me it's clear that the spiders represent women and their relationship to the main character, hence the change in size of all spiders, being the one he sees after talking with his mother the biggest one representing how that one is also the most influential -though she is barely in the movie-. Also the key and the club are metaphors for desire or pleasure driven lifestyles. So this guy has 2 personas, the loving caring husband and the man trying to live the life taking the most he can out of it pleasurewise, conflicting with each other
>>
>>79774786

Youre missing the point.

Its either one.

Both intepretations are valid.

I agree with you that its a metaphor for adultery.

However I also love the surreal spider iconography throughout the film, which could also be an invasion by shapeshifting spiders.
>>
>>79774121
>make shitty incomplete movei with an incomplete and incomprehensible plot
>film it in a way that suggests mystery
>get a cult following by marketing it as a horror film
>people will now examine yourfilm
>people come up with shitty baseless theories
>they think this film is 2deep4u
>you get hailed as a visionary for doing a shitty job
>>
>>79774905
>which could also be an invasion by shapeshifting spiders.

.... no
>>
>>79776212
how can you say no? it is unclear and leaves it to the audience to interpret and leaves big hints at either
>>
File: melanie laurent sarah gadon.jpg (1MB, 3879x3000px) Image search: [Google]
melanie laurent sarah gadon.jpg
1MB, 3879x3000px
pick one
>>
>>79774121
The spiders represent women
>(lilith the first biblical women, that was banished because she was equal to man, thus creating a dead world, her symbol is a spider)

Every women is a spider trying to keep the man down, from his mother, his girlfriend, the whores (are spiders as much as they are the ones we go to in order to keep our own spiders away through our infidelity), to the greatest spider at the end, the pregnant women which ties the man to herself forever.

The movie is about freedom from women and how the female society keeps us down giving them more and more rights, while taking ours away. This dictatorship of feminist liberalist society is hinted throughout the movie.

The director was a brave man, he'll not live long however, for he exposed.
>>
>>79776439
if odd right else left
>>
>>79776446
expect the /pol bullshitting at the end, yes this movie is about the male/female relationship in our society, from a males perspective.
>>
>>79776170
>an incomplete and incomprehensible plot

Maybe if you didn't like it enough to bother figuring stuff out, me and my friends spent several hours thinking about stuff, reading imdb (rip) comments and rewatching scenes until we actually arrived to a suitable explanation (which of course i can't remember because it was a very fleeting realization a few years back). YMS guy had some things right.

In any case good movie, can't say if it's great but in any case an interesting one.
>>
File: 1404160837200.png (41KB, 1024x631px) Image search: [Google]
1404160837200.png
41KB, 1024x631px
>>79774786
>I’ll offer a theory. While Enemy has been billed as an erotic thriller and a doppelganger movie—and it is both those things—I think ultimately it’s a parable about what it’s like to live under a totalitarian state without knowing it. It’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie in which you don’t even realize it’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie until the end—until it’s too late for our hero. In this case, the body snatchers just happen to be giant spiders.
>>
>>79774375
EVERY FUCKING TIME

it's some lynch-level bullshit

I know what is coming and yet time and time again i get spooked
>>
>>79774121
The spiders are the women in his life, it's all a metaphor.

Look at his godadmn face at the end, is that how a man would react if there were actually a giant spider in his room?
>>
>>79774121
it's shitty fightclub ffs

>Guy has split personality and fucks arround with french bitches
the blueberry scene with mom, where she tells the history teacher he should stop fucking arround with being a third-grade-actor was "get the fuck with the plot retard" point of the movie

>He has an unhealthy relatioship with women due to his mother, first line in the movie. Wants to control them but is too beta to achieve it

>Spiders are hint of women controlling his life, the bigger the spider, the greater the control, where a spider is killed he experiences freedom

>The pregnant wife knows he's a psycho but goes along with it, because fuck it I'm pregnant and need three more months of rest

>The guy decides to kill-off one of his personalities the cheating one, however falls back into the old infidelity whoring in the last scene and realizes AGAIN that the greatest control in his life is his pregnant women, which is represented with the biggest spider

This is the movie dumbwits
>>
>>79774121
There's literally nothing great about this movie. It's about as tryhard as they come
>>
>>79776439
hariy forearms vs meaty calfs
>>
>>79774121
I watch 500 movies a year - I can not be blown away by even good movies such as Enemy.
>>
>>79774213
> “the scariest ending of any film ever made.”

I was startled and surprised by the ending. How the hell can you be scared by it?
>>
>>79777234
What are some of your favorites?
>>
LMAOing at all the brainlets ITT
none of you understand the true meaning behind this film
>>
>>79777234
if you really watched that many you wouldn't call enemy a good movie
>>
>>79774213
Oh my fucking god, he actually thinks the movie is about literal spiders taking over the world.
>>
Villeneuve is known for his hatred/fear towards women. They take the form of spiders because spiders "trap" you in their web like women do. Also, "in the majority of cases a female spider kills and eats a male spider before, during, or after copulation" (from wiki).
>>
>>79777423
>Villeneuve is known for his hatred/fear towards women.

/ourguy/
>>
Was the spider at the end afraid of the protag at the end? It backed away from him when he entered the room
>>
>>79777576
Why do you ask and answer your own question at the same time?
>>
>>79777639
I guess I meant to ask why the spider would be afraid of him
>>
>>79777576
yep, throughout the movie you can see she's very jealous and possessive (in a certain moment she even talks like he has had an affaire before)
>>
>>79777660
Spider represents adam's relationship with women, which he wants to get rid of. It happens at the moment he thinks about going back to the sex club.
>>
File: and then she was a spider.webm (3MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
and then she was a spider.webm
3MB, 1920x800px
>>
>>79774772

You can an interpret every person as a spider weaving his or her own 'web' too.
>>
>>79776358
It's like saying that the characters in Rugrats or Ed, Edd N Eddy are dead and in purgatory. You're right, it's open yo interpretation but some interpretations are taking more liberty for what is actually shown and (heavily) implied.
>>
>>79777785

and because the literal idea is usually just a mask for the real metaphorical one.

brainlets itt
>>
>>79776358
>>79774905

This is lazy film watching, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Stick to Transformers, retard.
>>
Top kek great thread OP
>>
>>79774121
This films was complete fucking shite, and I usually enjoy these 2deep4u types of movies.
>>
>>79778200
>he thinks enemy is 2deep4u
>>
>>79778200
>2deep4u
It beats you over the head with the message you drongo cunt.
>>
>>79774213
>doesn’t see the web that’s overtaken the city until he’s already stuck in it
Yeah cause it's so hard to tell when fascism is coming these days with everyone thinking every little thing is fascist. How fucking brainwashed do you have to be to not see the invisible authoritarian state he thinks to be movie represents is actually the one he is living in and not not some Hitlerian society.
>>
>>79778461
It's spiders!
>>
File: 1398802313348.webm (2MB, 1912x796px) Image search: [Google]
1398802313348.webm
2MB, 1912x796px
>tfw you will never have qt spider alien gf
why even live?
>>
Its shit. The book is 10x better.
>>
>>79774646

Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AWkqRwd1I

It's very interesting.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.