[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: amazing books that literally cannot be made into movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: AtTheMountainsOfMadness.jpg (233KB, 964x522px) Image search: [Google]
AtTheMountainsOfMadness.jpg
233KB, 964x522px
ITT: amazing books that literally cannot be made into movies
>>
flat stanley
>>
>>79750189
why not? this is pretty much the best filmalbe thing lovecraft wrote?
>>
>>79750242
Because Prometheus and The Thing already exist.
>>
The dark tower series by Stephen King. I hear its being made into a tv series with movies in between seasons? But i dont know how it can work successfully without huge changes. I hope it works out but im sceptical
>>
>>79750189
The Sound and The Fury. You hear me, James Franco?

Also, Blood Meridian (if James Franco wants to do it, a good director can and will turn it into a movie)
>>
>>79750374

The Thing was absolutely horrifying body horror, but there was no sense of an absolutely ageless entity or sense of immense scale.

Prometheus couldn't decide if it wanted to be existential horror or body horror, and the film was weaker for it.
>>
File: movie was shit.jpg (105KB, 470x662px) Image search: [Google]
movie was shit.jpg
105KB, 470x662px
>>
File: idris_elba.png (736KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
idris_elba.png
736KB, 1200x675px
>>79750421

Meet Roland.
>>
>>79750189
>lovecraft constantly describes the place as having a non-euclidian architecture
>faggot drawfags paint regular boring euclidian buildings
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>79750242
Shadow over innsmouth is the most filmable though. And could make for a good thriller, not unlike Wolf
>>
>>79750374

The thing is closer to the lovecraft horror than prometheus, even Alien is closer to lovecraft than prometheus wich is a failed experiment.
>>
Rendezvous with Rama

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get it off the ground for years, and I doubt it'll ever actually happen. There's not enough conflict in it.
>>
>>79750189
Nice try hollywood
>>
The Last Question by Isaac Asimov.

but I would have said that about Story of Your Life
>>
>>79751041
It's about exploring, it doesn't need conflict. Just learning about the crazy physics is really interesting. (I read Rama II and it sucks, I hope they only adapt the original.)
>>
>>79750906
Dagon
>>
>>79751359
>It's about exploring, it doesn't need conflict.
Yeah well try telling that to movie studios.
>>
>amazing books
>not a book
>not amazing
>>
>>79750189
Anything by William S. Burroughs. Cronenberg's 'adaption' of Naked Lunch barely qualifies as an adaption.

Not that I mind, I think that Burroughs is a great innovater but in terms of actually making readable, enjoyable books that make a point within the text of the novel, he's just not all there.
>>
>>79750786
Already the dynamics of the storyline will change because in the story there was only one black woman as far as i remember and she was fairly unique for it and now her storyline won't quite be the same
>>
>>79750786

>Roland IS the "dark tower"

flawless victory
>>
>>79750715
Movie was better than the book IMO
Still a great book
>>
>>79750453
Ridley Scott's been trying to get it done since it was published. It'll never work.
>>
>>79750189
Foundation
>>
>>79750997
>things dumb alien fans say

it's fucking hilarious. muh industrial factory slasher movie
>>
>>79750869
No one knows what non euclidean architecture would look like
>>
>>79751726
>implying Ridley has the guts to make Blood Meridian
>implying Ridley is (spoiler)the Coen Bros
>>
File: Hyperion - Dan Simmons.jpg (435KB, 1500x2123px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion - Dan Simmons.jpg
435KB, 1500x2123px
>>
>>79751195
At best The Last Question would make for a short subject. There's not enough story to stretch out into a movie without diluting the core anecdote.
>>
>>79753134

I don't see why this would be such a problem. Actually, most of it could work really well as a short movie collection done by different directors.
>>
>>79750189
Ringworld may not be unfilmable, but it's been in development hell for years.
>>
>>79750189
Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained or anything by Hamilton for that matter.
>>
>>79750715
You take that back.
>>
>>79753773
Hamilton's books are literally tv script-tier
>>
>>79750786
i get triggered evry time
>>
>>79753831
Seeing Game of Thrones get done gives me hope, but I know that sci-fi isn't as safe as fantasy.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>79751734

Too epic.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.