[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is all the fuss about this film? Not trying to troll, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2001_poster[1].jpg (29KB, 341x454px) Image search: [Google]
2001_poster[1].jpg
29KB, 341x454px
What is all the fuss about this film?

Not trying to troll, but I genuinely don't see the appeal. I spent huge portions of the movie going "yeah, I get what this shot is trying to convey, you don't have to linger on it for 15 minutes". It also feels like two completely seperate films smudged together, the middle section with HAL9000 feels nothing like the prologue or the ending. The audio was excessive and I literally had to keep adjusting it because I was getting a headache from the ceaseless crescendo whenever the monoliths were in-shot. The scene with Floyd videocalling his daughter was entirely superfluous and added absolutely nothing to the plot or characters, and then they do the exact same thing again with the birthday transmission that Poole receives. I also didn't understand why HAL (who was apparently in completely control of the little spacepod when he kills Poole) was suddenly unable to just do the same to Bowman. I even stopped to look and you can clearly see both pods have the HAL red light on them. At this point HAL had murdered everyone so it's not like he had any reservations about doing the same to Bowman.
>>
>>79749478
Congrats, you're retarded
>>
Here you go.

http://www.collativelearning.com/2001%20analysis%20new.html
>>
I will bite this bait out of pure boredom.

He tried to warn us about AI.
We didn't listen.
>>
>>79749478
I think the marvel cinematic universe would be more your speed pal, check it out.
>>
>>79749497
>>79749532
>>79749581

Amazing counterpoints, this is truly the pinnacle of kubrickdrone mentality.
>>
people who need film analysis are so fucking retarded like go watch vsauce as well you dumb cunt
>>
nothing happens in this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WvrQ6h_GWE
>>
File: file-2.jpg (179KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
file-2.jpg
179KB, 857x1202px
2001:A Space Odyssey is quite simply the worst thing to happen to cinema ever. Its forced profundity has caused millions of people all over the world to force themselves to like what is quite simply nothing more than an exercise in style.

Kubrick has no idea what he is doing here. His film jumps around with little to no sense of unity. The great film makers of the world create a series of events that contain clarity of information, something Kubrick couldn't bet his life on.

What is the purpose of what is going on here? Is there any coherent message? I have heard suggestions that it is Kubrick's message about the future of humanity, but what future is that? Does Kubrick even know?

This is Transformers for the pretend art house crowd. Pure style over substance. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.
>>
>>79749605

Why would I want to educate you on the topic when it's evident that you're not worth my time and in-depth explanation?
>>
>>79749478
This film was released at a time when a lot of people were regularly dropping acid. That's honestly the reason for the excessively long shots that "linger on it for 15 minutes".
>>
>>79749704
style is substance pleb
>>
>>79749704
>t. Retard
>>
>>79749605
How are you not trolling when your arguments are "I don't get it, how does this fit with the rest of the movie", " The music is too loud", "The movie is too long".
>>
>>79749742
>mad retard
>>
I like 2001 a lot but it's not this perfect 11/10 masterpiece that people like to claim it is.

The shitty dialogue that was later interpreted as INTENTIONALLY SHITTY SO THAT HAL SEEMS LIKE THE ONLY TRULY HUMAN CHARACTER is legitimately just shitty dialogue that was made worse by extensive cuts after the initial screenings to remove characterisation scenes.

Also you dont have to all jumpin and start spamming interpretations of the film. Considering my fuckin 65 year old dad whose favourite film is National Lampoons Vacation was able to understand what the monoliths were doing and what was happening, it really isn't that deep. Sure, you can make greater implications about mankinds role in the universe and the concepts of life and death but the core of 2001 isn't some deep mystery that everyone makes it out to be.
>>
>>79749810
>Implying I get mad over 4chan
>t. Irredeemable retard
>>
>>79749478
"Bowman" its Odysseus killing the cyclops (HAL)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.