[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stargate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 20

What went right/wrong?

Did the series ever jump the shark?

Did it go on for too long?

Will it/should it ever get a reboot?
>>
>>79731777
Maybe S9 and S10 were unnecessary (I liked them), but it never jumped the shark. All the progression in the show felt earned. And I honestly don't think it needs a reboot. I think it could pull off a continuation.
>>
>Did the series ever jump the shark?
jumped the shark a bit when they started having earth space ships.

>Will it/should it ever get a reboot?
sure, why not? Would be cool to plan out the long term story better and have less filler shit.
>>
>>79731777
SG-1 in all rights, should not have ended.

Would not be surprised if some of those instrumental in ending the series, later regretted it.
>>
File: GeorgeHammondConfused.jpg (108KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeHammondConfused.jpg
108KB, 700x393px
GOOLD?
>>
>>79732030
They could only stop the goa'uld so many times, anon. It was getting old and you can only 1-up the latest enemy so much.
>>
>>79732030
I guess they could of tried more spinoffs but I dunno man.
>>
>What went wrong

The Ori and "all your tech is useless, lel, gotta win by deus ex machina"
>>
>>79731777
>What went right/wrong?
Comfy writing, comfy cast. Stargate is a great plot device to explore lot of unknown worlds. Potential for many unique worlds. This is what annoyed me as the big story arcs took precedence over the monster of the week type exploration. The story got boring after yet another Goold who wants to be even more badder than the one before him. Last two seasons were very boring, even if they felt logical (Ancient lore and Evil Ancients).

As soon as the humans could outfuck Asgard/Ancient level villains with their shitty makeshift ships. The technology progression is beyond retarded. Ancient Replicators should have been unbeatable. Too many contrivances to make heroes win. Villains are too dumb most of the time.
Yes and hopefully no.
>>
>>79731777
Kill yourself or go back to redd it or stop being such a fucking faggot anon. Fuck.
>>
I wish they would have done it differently, instead of status quo is god super secret program, a public program, securing one planet at a time.
>>
>>79731777
season 9 and 10 do not exist and are absolutely unnecessary, even when you consider most of the extended universe of Atlantis, etc. everything else is just fine, even the Jonas Quinn season
>>
>>79732073
Wouldn't it be "Gould"? "Goold" just looks like you're saying "gold" but typing it like a faggot.
>>
File: WATCH IT GOOLD.jpg (53KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
WATCH IT GOOLD.jpg
53KB, 700x393px
>>79732455
>>
File: Eliot Gould.jpg (25KB, 495x350px) Image search: [Google]
Eliot Gould.jpg
25KB, 495x350px
>>79732455
GOULD?
>>
File: CSHX9RIWIAA5WeL.png (394KB, 436x540px) Image search: [Google]
CSHX9RIWIAA5WeL.png
394KB, 436x540px
>>79731777
The entire series was garbage aimed at neckbeard "lolbertarians" and was based on a shit-tier movie.

0/10 plebtier
>>
I unironically like atlantis
>>
File: General_Ryan.jpg (20KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
General_Ryan.jpg
20KB, 640x360px
>>79732818
What? How is a show that is literal USAF propaganda aimed at libertarians?
>>
>>79732857
>unironically
kill yourself
>>
>>79732916
Not that anon, but I unironically like Universe.
>>
File: Vegas02.jpg (347KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Vegas02.jpg
347KB, 1024x576px
I wanted to see more of detective sheppard honestly. Vegas was a pretty good episode because of how much of a scumbag he was.
>>
>>79731777
When they moved wrestling to the prime time spot on the syfy channel instead of SGU
>tfw
>>
File: Jenniferkeller_2.jpg (35KB, 245x352px) Image search: [Google]
Jenniferkeller_2.jpg
35KB, 245x352px
>>79732916
sure it got a bit weird with the clones a bit later but i enjoyed it and she was cute
>>
File: West.jpg (122KB, 400x307px) Image search: [Google]
West.jpg
122KB, 400x307px
>>79731777
>will it/should it ever get a reboot
Show him.
>>
File: Daedalus.jpg (170KB, 1018x526px) Image search: [Google]
Daedalus.jpg
170KB, 1018x526px
Is there any ship from any sci-fi franchise that can even stand up to this absolute pinnacle of USAF/Asgard engineering?
>>
File: sad doctor.jpg (38KB, 528x297px) Image search: [Google]
sad doctor.jpg
38KB, 528x297px
>>79732989
>that episode where Rodney goes space retard and confesses that he loves her because they think nobody can save him
>>
>>79733057
McKay is also one of my favorite characters
>>
>>79733057
Rodney was the single saving grace of Atlantis. Even now I can't bring myself to care about the rest of the Atlantis team. Closest two are probably Keller and Lorne.
>>
>>79733083
He was the real hero of Atlantis. Chewed out fuckups and saved the day by pulling shit out of his ass.

If only more Canadians were like him
>>
I really wish that at some point during sg1 there was like a two-parter or something where the stargate program became public. I'm not sure it could've fit in the show but imo going public should've happened sometime before the prometheus launched.
>>
>>79733120
Sheppard and Dex were ok
>>
>>79731777
I read somewhere that the original film was intended as part of a trilogy, but when SG-1 came out the plans were shelved, since it acted as a continuation.

Now that it's done and dusted apparently the original creator wants to reboot it to actually make the trilogy.

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/stargate-reboot-trilogy-roland-emmerich-dean-devlin-1201795494/
And apparently it's on hold
http://screenrant.com/stargate-reboot-trilogy-delayed/
And it's not happening
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/remake-stargate-happening-know-exclusive/

I just disappointed myself.
>>
A killer cast led by incredibly likeable and relateable Richard Dean Anderson are the main draw of the show. every character fit a role, served a purpose and grew over the seasons.

it's right after school double bill time slot on sky one helped it's popularity. It was the perfect way to unwind and chill while having a sneaky fap wondering if Carter's sex organs where in or outside her body.

as for jumping the shark? replacing O'Neill with a character doing a shoddy impression of him was retarded. as well as killing the ori off screen and without ever meeting them.
>>
>>79733137
Thats what was meant to happen when Atlantis landed in San Francisco iirc. But shit got canceled for Universe!
>>
File: mgm-logo.jpg (319KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mgm-logo.jpg
319KB, 1000x750px
>>79731777
This, this went wrong. Fuck MGM.
>>
>>79733155
I can never hate Ben Browder because of Farscape. He wasnt Jack tier but he wasnt that bad.
>>
>>79733145
Sheppard maybe, he had his moments but Ronon was severely lacking. He had nothing on Teal'c.
>>
>>79733187
never watched farscape but neither he nor Gen Landry could fill Anderson's shoes. Maybe if Browder differientiated himself more from the get go i could have warmed to him.
>>
>>79733187
No, he was fucking bad. As was Claudia Black. And Beau Bridges.

I've never seen Farscape, so I don't know if shitty characters, shitty acting or both. Either way, they were the majority of everything wrong with s9 and 10.

Those last two seasons wouldn't even be worth watching if Baal wasn't so fucking based.

>>79733155
I don't think I've ever watched another show with a character I absolutely hated making a complete 360 and become one of my favorites the way Maybourne did. The show had some amazing character development.
>>
>>79733284
You should watch it, Browder's character descent into reckless insanity was great.
>>
>>79733227
showing SG-1 to a friend and during the opening he said "that dude's a bad ass" to the clip of teal'c taking down a ship with the bazooka staff. 10/10 character and casting. I died a little when i saw him in the dark Knight rises.
>>
>>79733148
>I just disappointed myself
Why? Even though Emmerich did make the original, he shits on everything he touches. Have you seen any of his movies in the last 10 years? Its all CGI infested trash. And I can guarantee 100% that the new Stargate was shitcanned because of how awful Independence Day 2 was.

I'm glad.
>>
File: Daniel Thumbs up.png (225KB, 459x403px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel Thumbs up.png
225KB, 459x403px
>>79733155
>after school double bill time slot on sky one
Jeez, if only we were so lucky in the states. The only syndicated airings I ever caught were on Saturday nights at about midnight on fox. After Madtv, some standup comedy thing, an X files ep and then SG-1. I'm 90% sure I only discovered it as a random channel flip when my mom almost caught me fapping to Skinemax once.
>>
File: ronnie cox.jpg (166KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
ronnie cox.jpg
166KB, 800x450px
low key best villain?
>>
SG1 was fucking amazing, atlantis wasn't as good, but interesting, and the the 'space ship' show was horrible/dumb.

I found stargate more enjoyable than any season of star trek I've ever tried.

star gate and sliders are two of my favorite scifi shows because of the alternate worlds.
>>
>>79733460
>trying to shut down the biggest hope for human advancement because its expensive

I will never understand politicians. Motherfucker we spend trillions on the welfare state I'll take spaceships over trayvon and sheqon buying cough syrup, skittles and ice tea
>>
>What went right
- Comfy Atmosphere
- Fun in that episodic stance
- Likable characters (Meh in SGU and SGA)
- Trademark and iconic aspects to the series
- Bringing in Woolsey for SGA
- Getting rid of Ford's character and literally never bringing him back
- The aesthetic visually, SFX and soundtrack work of Goldsmith on SGU, seriously fucking top

>What went wrong
- Lack of budget over time, getting rid of the iconic Jaffa helmets and basically minimizing the Gou'ald aesthetic over time
- Falling for what all sci-fi series do and making the villains really easy to beat and almost caricature by the end
- Having Sokar for a two-parter and doing nothing with him
- Change to digital cameras in Season 8
- Using the same goddamn villages as sets in latter /gate/ (Atlantis especially got so fucking guilty with this)
- Same goddamn forests
- Jaffa rebellion's growth being so randomly shown up until "The Warrior" where all of a sudden they apparently really exist
- Daniel turning into a total beast man
- Daniel having literally no archaeological expertise or professionalism at all
- Anything to do with the Replicators
- Killing off Beckett
- Making the Wraith so pissweak and pathetic by the end of SGA after being such a spooky alien in season 1
- Spoiled a golden opportunity to have a look at post-Gou'ald Jaffa politics by instead making it all about the Ori jumping down their throats and Teal'c complaining about it all
- Probably the one which really I definitely would have changed, not having Richard Dean Anderson in the finale and instead making Landry fill in for O'Neill.

- Asgard beams
- Wormhole drive

>Did it go on too long?
- Yes for Sg1, should have ended with Threads. SGA deserved one or two more seasons and SGU at least another. Seriously underrated

>Will it/should it ever get a reboot
Yes, knowing how reboots are done however, apathetic bordering on no thanks towards it.
>>
File: Trump Emperor.jpg (56KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
Trump Emperor.jpg
56KB, 940x627px
>>79733460
yfw Ronnie Cox could so easily play Trump
>>
also Earth episodes where the stand out best. the two parter where an SG-1 like show is being made and the one where teal'c gets an apartment are top tier.
>>
File: daniel.jpg (52KB, 414x233px) Image search: [Google]
daniel.jpg
52KB, 414x233px
>>79733497
>- Asgard beams
>- Wormhole drive
Those were both in each show's last episodes.
>>
File: teal'c PI.jpg (26KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
teal'c PI.jpg
26KB, 700x393px
Why is Episode 200 so good?
>ywn get Teal'c P.I
>>
>>79733375
It's more that i was looking forward to seeing how it "should have been" than Emmerich being involved.

>>79733497
>Daniel turning into a total beast man
Probably the most excusable of all the flaws you listed. He had time and reason to work out, knowing that he's going into somewhat combat-heavy situations on a semi-frequent basis and might need to not be dead weight in a fight.
>>
File: happy teal'c.jpg (211KB, 673x480px) Image search: [Google]
happy teal'c.jpg
211KB, 673x480px
>>79733547
mfw
>>
>>79733563
It's right though isn't it?

Actually i'll throw in the Dakara weapon and the Ark of Truth plot devices too.

And maybe the 1969 episode, unless Hammond was playing severe 4D chess all that time
>>
>>79733685
>ever doubting Hammond
Motherfucker was on a whole other level.
>>
>>79733673
Yeah true, but I suppose part of that is that his main role as an archaeologist, while pathetic at the outset of the series just becomes utterly irrelevant apart from his knowledge on history. By the series end he's just Michael Shanks' twitter in physical form.
>>
>>79732937
Why not just say you like it without sounding like a faggot?
>>
>>79731777
this show was for me basically a star trek clone.
the whole planets are a single same village where everybody speak english . it had fun moments but quickly became dull and repetitive.
>>
>>79733047
It really looks like a weak Battlestar
>>
File: Asgard-beam-weapons.png (287KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Asgard-beam-weapons.png
287KB, 1280x720px
>>79734637
>It really looks like a weak Battl...
>>
>>79732210
They had a clear path to victory without another Ancient superweapon had the writers not killed off the Asgard. Six or eight O'neill-class ships with plasma beam weapons could have wiped out the Ori fleet in the Milky way and then it's just a case of keeping the supergate shut.
>>
>>79733047
An Asgard mothership with up to date weapons would cut it to pieces. Same tech but much larger and more powerful.
>>
>>79731777
What went wrong?

-someone casted MacGyver as Colonel O'Neill
-SG1 and Atlantis were too family friendly campy to be taken seriously as Sci-Fi
-Every alien world looked like North Vancouver, Mission, or Delta
-SG-U was too little too late to get a cult following
-SG-U looked and felt too much like Battlestar. probably because everyone that didn't get hired to shoot Caprica went to SG after BG ended.
-SyFy failed to account for cord cutters and that the only people who still pay for cable have a shoe size IQ

What went right
-someone casted Robert Carlyle as Rush
-SG1 and Atlantis catered to soft and young Sci-Fi fans (the people who thought Voyager was a good show)
>>
>>79734942
Go to bed, grandpa
>>
>>79735070
>grandpa
you're pathetic anon
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.