[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was CGI this good from a movie produced in 2005?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

How was CGI this good from a movie produced in 2005?
>>
desu nfi. purekino
>>
>>79705491
Because all the best CGI artists were working on it at the time.

Now that every movie imaginable has to have CGI in some form or fashion the work is now outsourced to chinks who are working 22 hours a day and are swamped to make deadlines.
>>
>>79705491
money
>>
>>79705537
That's demand, competition but more importantly, producers want to cheap on the cost.
>>
>>79705491
Because they didn't use cgi on his eyes and mouth which are the hardest bosy parts to animate and look realistic. That and the tentacles draw your eyes away from any parts which look fake.
>>
>>79705491
>Pirates of the Caribbean CGI still holds up
>Skyfall CGI looks terrible
What were the Jews thinking?
>>
I have never seen a Pirates of the Caribbean movie, am I missing out on much?
>>
File: 1412621905985.png (17KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1412621905985.png
17KB, 500x300px
>>79705889

Yeah, you need to watch some pirate kino right now.
>>
>>79705889

prime keira knightley
prime johnny depp
prime legolas
>>
>>79705889

100% kino
>>
>>79705537

Plus wet, in the foreground and is a blob helps make it work better.

I love that some reviewers thought it was make up
>>
>>79705889
Watch the first, second and third one in a row, it's an experience

Fourth is skippable
>>
>>79705889
Hey, it seems you left your tripcode on. You should probably disable it or people will think you're a massive fucking faggot.

Just wanted to let you know
>>
>>79706548
>Skippable

More like hot fucking garbage.
>>
>>79705889
Watch them as a trilogy.

1st and 2nd are PirateKINO, 4th is OK.

5th is shaping up to be pretty great thanks to Based Bardem.
>>
>>79707502
He's a darkie
>>
>>79705951
And based Geoffrey Rush.
>>
>>79705596
They were thinking that they could spend less money on shitty CGI and still make a quick buck, and they did.
>>
>>79706098
I actually taught it was prosthetics. still looks amazing even today
>>
>>79705491
$450 million double feature budget and ILM
>>
>>79705889
the first 3 are basically the matrix trilogy with pirates. the first is fun. the second has its moments but ends on a cliffhanger and the third is awful.

i barely remember the fourth.
>>
>>79705889
the first is essential kino, second is decent enough if you enjoyed
the first one, can't remember 3rd and four. the cgi on bardem in the trailer for the new looks pretty impressive
>>
>>79709841
I did like the way to got wrapped up though after the 3rd movie. Haven't seen the 4th, guess it is basically a spin-off "whoa more crazy shit for jack to do" or does it show will's life as an immortal man living with the fishes?
>>
>>79705491
That wasn't CGI, Davy Jones is real you fool.
>>
>>79705491
>HUGE budget
>had an actual actor underneath
>was actually used pretty sparingly (isn't even in the first hour of 2)
>sea-based aesthetic works well with CGI, don't have to worry about skin tones, hair, etc., and the wetness hides the CGI sheen
>>
>>79705491
he gets the best theme too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fe9W1gZPUs
>>
1 >> 2 > 3 >>> 4
>>
Having watched them all again recently the CGI in 2 is actually a little shonkey in some parts. In 3 it looks great though
>>
>>79711279
The fourth one is like a nasty mash-up of what the movie producers thought the mass would expect from a standalone Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
>>
>>79706548
>>79707618
this

the third one works surprisingly well if you watch it right after the second one
>>
>>79713437
I rewatched the whole franchise recently, and honestly I have a somewhat better opinion of 3 now. The plot is still a mess and the pacing is fucked, but the visuals are amazing and there's plenty of good bits. There's a great movie in there somewhere, it just needed a lot more cutting and editing.

4 is still shit though. It's just as messy as 3 only with nowhere near the level of fun or creativity.
>>
>>79705491
I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that it´s a mixture of a man and a octopus two things all people know how it´s supposed to look like

I still have the theory that cgi looks the most realistic if it presents real life things since the brain doesn´t automatically realize that it is made up and therefore fake
>>
zero character development: the series
>>
>>79713490
I got the exact same reaction. which really shocked me since I hated three as a kid so much that I lost all interest in the franchise for a long time

three really should have been two movies. one about getting jack from the underworld and beating davy jones and the another about the pirate society teaming up to fight the British empire. both aspects are really cool and interesting bad sadly rushed

and yeah 4 is pretty shitty. the only good parts are barbossa and jack interacting with another

4 just feels so unepic and tame compared to the other movies. they really should have pushed the whole "magical temple" part more instead of the mermaids.
>>
>>79705491
Its not cgi, they just chucked a squid on some dudes head
>>
>>79708153
ganggang
>>
>>79705491
They seem to have actually had some kind of appreciation for what makes realism interesting.

Regarding video-games what always interested me more than pure photorealism like Crysis were games like Red Dead Redemption and how they captured so much personality and gave things such presence (look up the horse animation in this game if you haven't heard of it, stellar)

It might seem unassuming but making things "realistic" has a bit of nuance to it. Here they nailed the appearance and shape of a grotesque squid and the presence it would have in real life. The translucency, the weight of the tentacles, fuckin A.
>>
>>79709841
FUCK YOU.
third one is campy yess, but is fun as fuck.
that scene when jack is fighting davy jones on the top of the ship and that music, that fucking music is orgasmic.
>>
>>79713490

I just rewatched 4 last night and I liked it a lot better than when it first came out. The only part I hated was the Mermaid love subplot.

>I support the missionary's position!
>>
>>79707502
>not knowing and respecting based Krager
>>
100% flick
>>
Loved the first three. What are some more adventure movies like this and Indiana Jones?
>>
>>79715385
>Le campy is alright because it's fun XD
>>
>>79713540
They're pirates, they never fucking learn.
>>
>>79705889
The last batch of actual blockbuster hollywood, the last movies with true adventure.
>>
>>79705889
Yes, and Davy Jones is one of the best movie villains of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fe9W1gZPUs
>>
this shit really is fucking amazing
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.