[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watched this earlier today without knowing a whole lot about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 17

File: the-big-short-1.jpg (252KB, 800x432px) Image search: [Google]
the-big-short-1.jpg
252KB, 800x432px
Watched this earlier today without knowing a whole lot about it, because the cast looked awesome. Ended up getting some real talk about the economy. It is absurd to me that this is classified as a comedy.

The exact same fucking thing is going to happen again, isn't it? We are truly fucked.
>>
The movie is a joke because it pretends that some of criminals on wall street didn't know what they were doing
>>
>>79704217
If there's one thing you should take away from this: both sides were in the wrong here.

The government allowed people to buy homes they couldn't afford and the banks / Wall Street saw it as an easy way to make money.

One side always likes to blame the other when in reality both fucked up.
>>
immigrants and poor people got blamed :(
>>
>>79704359
Touche
>>
>>79704388
fuck you trump just fuck you
>>
>>79704359
There's no "both sides" in this. The government and Wall Street are on the same "side."

>>79704389
What the hell kind of use of "touche" is this? You don't say touche for your first post in the thread.
>>
>>79704217

Steve Bannon's #1 goal is to stop it. That's why they keep calling him a white supremacist.
>>
>Don't come to /tv/ for well written opinions on anything besides kino.

Wew lad
>>
>>79704416
Douche
>>
>>79704359
We are all electrons in the same global circuit now, when there is a short whatever electrons in the area get burnt. It's really not something many people can control, every electron just does whatever the other electrons in the area are doing. We are fucked because the circuit is faulty and easily manipulated so innocents get burned all the time.
>>
>>79704359
>both sides were in the wrong
Incorrect. The bankers did nothing wrong and broke no laws. It isn't their fault that the government had a disastrous economic policy.
>>
>>79704418
topkek. yeah sure. hes TOTALLY not out for personal profit. what a hero.

kys.
>>
>>79704217
Insurance on essentially worthless bonds is worth 23 times the cost of all the mortgages in the entirety of the US.

There are legitimately some people on wallstreet dumb enough to not understand that could cause a problem.
How do these people get jobs again?
>>
>>79704448
>>dindu muffin
JUDEN THIEF DETECTED
>>
>>79704479

Yeah okay. Enjoy your Bernie.
>>
>>79704359
Wall street and the government are on the same side
>>
>>79704217
Finally, an argumentative thread that I actually know something about on here.
>>
>>79704217
Don't worry anon, it won't happen again thank to Dodd-Fran-
>>
>>79704448
I'm not a burger but stuff like giving loans to people who can't pay them back, insuring worthless bonds for far more then they could ever foreseeably be worth because america literally doesn't have that much land and giving false ratings to bad loans seem like fraud to me.
>>
>>79704502
>Riskier investments = higher returns.
>Higher returns = higher cost of the security.
The worthlessness of the bonds made the insurance a much better investment. The financial collapse only happened because the government let the housing market crash.
>>
>>79704416
Whether or not you think they're one in the same, they do tend to "blame" each other on who was in the wrong to sway the public either way.

Was just telling OP to not fall for "Le Wall Street is evil and government is good" or vice versa
>>
>>79704639
Dodd-Frank is shit.
>>
>>79704641
Because you know nothing about finance. It is a science and it works a whole lot better without the government always intervening because "muh feefees say that it's fraud".
>>
>>79704661
I guess that makes sense, but it's not like the film portrayed the government as good. They were all too happy to bail out Wall Street and save their own asses at the cost of the taxpayers'.
>>
>>79704217
>The exact same fucking thing is going to happen again, isn't it? We are truly fucked.
Yup.
>>
>>79704217
>real talk
There is no 'real talk' coming from Hollywood.

Not now. Not ever.
>>
Especially with Turmp in orifice. Throwing out Dodd-Frank is pure fucking genius!
>>
>>79704832
>>real talk
>There is no 'real talk' coming from Hollywood.
>Not now. Not ever.
>>
File: QE-ending.jpg (51KB, 667x433px) Image search: [Google]
QE-ending.jpg
51KB, 667x433px
>>79704641
Yes fraud is actually fucking illegal

yet not a single wall street banker was prosecuted under Obama and Eric Holder.

It's just like Wolf of Wall street except there isn't even the part at the end where people get arrested and do 3 months in jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmfPT47awUg

Instead the banks got trillions of dollars for free from the FED as a reward for destroying the economy
>>
>>79704217
The Rage Against the Machine of film.

Just from top to bottom crypto-corporate horseshit propaganda.
>>
>>79704832
That's a rather myopic statement.
>>
File: 1485209268596.jpg (74KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1485209268596.jpg
74KB, 700x700px
>>79704857
But he's making America great again anon! Surely he's looking out for us little people, I bet Dodd-Frank was an evil globalist scheme thought up by the psychic vampires. It's really in our best interest to repeal it, just like it's a great idea to put a Goldman Sachs executive in charge of Treasury.
>>
>>79704974
Give it up shareblue. It's over.
>>
>>79704974
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIXqxpQNt0
>>
>>79704658
Wasn't that the point though? The bonds were supposed to low risk low reward so they became way over issued then when they all went belly up at the same time everyone who was sitting on them as a safe asset lost titanically large sums of money?

>>79704719
>Have a great but limited product that sells we and gives a great RoI
> Run out of product but want to keep printing money so knowingly relabel a series of shitter products and sell them any way
>Collude with a watchdog agency to ensure the consumer can't be made aware of your fraud
>Blow up the economy when your plan inevitable y comes to light when you succession of ever shitter products begin to fail
>Not illegal

Eagles wept at the thought of all this freedom.
>>
>>79705026
The point was to crash the market, make some $$$, and change the mood of the country to transition from (((Bush))) to ((((Obama))).
>>
>>79704418

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU FUCKING MORON AHAHAHAHA

Did you completely missed out on Trump daying he's going after Dodd Trank reforms? Or how he appointed Wall Street scumbags?

You fucking hillbillies will get fucked over so hard by Trump you wont even believe it.
>>
>>79705106
Shareblue plz go
>>
>>79705001
>Anyone who disagrees with me is a shill

>>79705014
Coal is dead, the Democrats plan to train coal industry workers to work in renewable energy on the government's dime was a realistic solution to the issues the coal industry is facing. The fact that you have to change the subject when I was criticizing the repeal of Dodd-Frank shows that you're too stupid to understand why repealing it was bad in the first place.
>>
>>79705026
They were lower risk in the sense that they had a AAA rating. But no bond is high yield and low risk, that is impossible.

And yes. No laws were broken, that means it is not illegal. A small market correction was exacerbated by bad economic policies that did nothing but increase the size of banks that were already too big to fail.
>>
>>79705106
Dodd Frank is worse than cancer. The faster that shit is gone the better.
>>
>>79704719
>It is a science
Kek so is gender studies.
>>
>>79704217
Hey, if you liked the housing bubble, get ready for this:

http://jalopnik.com/loan-crazy-automakers-may-be-ushering-in-the-next-finan-1792605641
>>
File: trumpvoters.jpg (509KB, 878x2886px) Image search: [Google]
trumpvoters.jpg
509KB, 878x2886px
Can you imagine being so stupid that you voted for your own death? Trump voters, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>79705187
Explain why exactly, tell me why Dodd-Frank is "worse than cancer". Use facts to demonstrate what makes it so horrible.
>>
>>79705201
>it's a science goy. Like polls, ratings, CTE, and global warming
>>
>>79704719
>Don't know nothing about finance.
>Its a science

LOLOLOL. Its just a bunch of coke-snorting ludopaths trying to make a quick buck. Not even real economics is a "science" like you think it is. Shit hits the fan, and proper government regulation is needed for markets to work well.

How is it possible the fucking right has yet to grasp this after all the shit went down less than 10 years ago? You stubborn fucking idiots scare the shit out of me with your advocacy for "free marketeering" when you clearly know nothing about the refulatory environment nor the causes of the problems that rose up less than a decade ago."

t. Real economist.
>>
>>79705001
It's not over dipshit
>>
>>79704876
The real outrage isn't that nobody was prosecuted, its that everything that went down isn't illegal.
>>
>>79704217
This movie was shit tho. Completely missed the cause of the financial crisis; CDOs by themselves aren't inherently the issue but rather how the risk was assessed on them. See: gaussian copula.

The movie does a decent job of explaining simple financial instruments to those who can't be bothered to read a finance textbook, but at the same it's obvious that the guy who wrote the book has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to the actual causes of the financial crisis.
>>
>>79705251
This is fucking sad man
>>
So everyone keeps saying it wasn't illegal ok fine, I'll accept statute may not have caught up with the bond issue.

What about the ratings agency(ies)? The way I see it they either knowingly enacted fraud by intentionally giving false ratings or their ratings are worthless and always have been so why do they still get business?
>>
>>79705251
>"I never thought the leopards would eat MY face," sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating Peoples' Faces Party
>>
>>79705187
>I know absolutely jack shit about anything related to economics, but I'll still talk shit about it cuz my glorious overlord wants to remove regulations just for the sake of it.

I fucking DARE you to give me ONE example on how Dodd Frank is cancer and it should be removed. Btw, that whole "muh medium banks" thing is complete bullshit, so shove it up your own ass.
>>
>>79705419
>What about the ratings agency(ies)

They seem to be the reason for everything that went wrong.
>>
>>79705383
Well it was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful movie so I'd say you're in the minority about it being "shit."

What I find fascinating is that it comes from the same director as Anchorman, of all fucking things.
>>
>>79705251
Hey, at least they really stuck it to those libtards lol.
>>
>>79705187
Still waiting on that explanation anon. Dodd-Frank is "worse than cancer", obviously you should be able to tell me why right? What makes Dodd-Frank so awful that it needed to be repealed?
>>
File: 1487289226413.jpg (117KB, 960x546px) Image search: [Google]
1487289226413.jpg
117KB, 960x546px
>>79705251
>>
>>79705524
When they're lying on their death bed, which will be in a trailer and not a hospital, they'll be able to say "at least I got to post some dank Pepe's".
>>
>>79705307
>retarded regulations get the economy into a rut
>"we need more regulations to make the economy better!"
>growth stagnates because of oppressive regulation
>"see, this is what a healthy economy looks like! #i'mwithher"
You aren't an economist, you are a shill. Do this country a favor and never vote.

>>79705464
>reducing the number of banks is a good thing ;^)

>>79705551
It fixed nothing and actively hurt small and medium sized banks. I mean I guess Dodd Frank is good for JP Morgan, but that's pretty bad for the rest of us.
>>
>>79705490
I mean it was shit at explaining the subject of the entire movie, the financial crisis. Sure it has good acting and directing or whatever, doesn't change the fact that it's full of misinformation and sacrifices accuracy and depth in exchange for Hollywood sensationalism and melodrama.

I guess it's expected considering it was made by and for those who don't care to research finance and economics themselves and would rather have a movie tell them what to think.
>>
>>79705251
At least they get to keep muh guns
>>
File: 623782-krustofski.gif.jpg (12KB, 292x293px) Image search: [Google]
623782-krustofski.gif.jpg
12KB, 292x293px
>>79705490
>Well it was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful movie so I'd say you're in the minority about it being "shit."
>>
>>79705551
Because Trump said so.

Do you honestly believe this fucking moron has a fucking idea in his mind as to why its cancer? Of course he doesn't. At MOST, he'll have some faint argument about how government regulation is always bad. Bu I guarantee you is that he probably saw some asspull on /pol/ that shit on DF that lacked any real fact to back it up.

These are the people who truly believe Trump cares about the "little guy" when nothing in his policies or rhetoric validates that.
>>
>>79705589
That's not a good enough answer. You're not telling me HOW it hurt small and medium sized banks. Which provisions within Dodd-Franks hurt the small and medium sized banks and in what way? Nothing you posted leads me to believe you have any understanding of Dodd-Frank at all. Why should I take your word for it?
>>
File: TrumpACA.jpg (205KB, 357x1280px) Image search: [Google]
TrumpACA.jpg
205KB, 357x1280px
>>79705251
Kek these are gold
>>
>>79705618
Didn't you hear? Hollywood knows much more about finance and economics than people who actually work in those fields. You are wrong and dumb because the Daily Show said so.
>>
>>79705589
>muh austrian free market school of """""" economics""""""

Holy fuck it's because of you people and your unfounded logical leaps that no one takes economics seriously.
>>
File: trump voters.jpg (362KB, 1894x886px) Image search: [Google]
trump voters.jpg
362KB, 1894x886px
>>79705695
>Votes for Trump because "he cares about the coal industry"
>Trump repeals their black lung benefits
>People with black lung can't get any other insurance because republicans repealed ACA and insurance companies can deny coverage over pre-existing conditions again
>Die

Really the cream of the crop, a very well informed voter base, the very best.
>>
>>79705696
Oh and I'm sure you know so much because you're right there on Wall Street with all of them, right? Fuck off.
>>
>>79705696
>Daily Show
Fuck off. I don't care for your political obsessions. The movie was inaccurate and blinded by sensationalism, that doesn't change the fact that a lack of regulation is what lead to the financial crisis. Take your inane ramblings about how the big bad gubmint is bullying those poor bankers and cronies and fuck off to /pol/.
>>
>>79705589
>Retarded de-regulation completely assfucks the world economy
> Muh freedoms
> It takes almost a decade for the world to recover, and many economies are still in a slup or decelerating. However, the US is way ahead of the curve in terms of job creation and growth even during shitty times
>Fucking Obongo ruined the economy

Two fucking things you NEED to understand: Lack of regulation allowed for the financial crisis to happen. And that the economic policies of the Obama administration managed to pull your country out of the gutter. These are fucking FACTS, there are countless of academic articles on this.

And those regulations are placed so systemic risk is reduced, NO ONE gives a fuck about these made up "small and medium banks" when there is a much bigger problem that could potentially assrape the whole economy AGAIN. Also, its become increasingly clear that the financial system, when left unregulated, just conglomerates, makeing the problem worse off.

Honestly I don't know why I bother telling this to a fucking idiot like yourself. It's not like you'll ever listen to reason.
>>
File: 0ndex.jpg (6KB, 186x272px) Image search: [Google]
0ndex.jpg
6KB, 186x272px
>>79705825
>Fuck off. I don't care for your political obsessions. The movie was inaccurate and blinded by sensationalism, that doesn't change the fact that a lack of regulation is what lead to the financial crisis. Take your inane ramblings about how the big bad gubmint is bullying those poor bankers and cronies and fuck off to /pol/.
>>
>>79705825
>The movie was inaccurate and blinded by sensationalism
I mean, it is still a Hollywood movie right? I wouldn't call it an educational experience but it's still more accurate than something like braveheart.
>>
>>79705864
Not even remotely an argument.
>>
>>79705809
>vote Trump because you want to stop "white genocide"
>Trump ends up killing poor whites in droves
>>
>>79705864
Wow the /pol/tard is literally pissing himself from getting btfo so hard.
>>
>>79704217
Wait until you realize that Obama care had a recommended drugs list that was actually a you can ONLY buy these drugs list and people have been making metric shit tons of money off the program.
>>
>>79705646
Ahh yes the I cant think of anything relevent to post so post jew picture. This is JIDF officer anon I'm bringing you in.
>>
>>79705896
The plan is to fuck up the economy so bad that brown people no longer want to immigrate here. How else are we going to make America white again?
>>
>>79705942
>white people start illegally immigrating to Mexico
>>
>>79705928
Isn't Shkreli one of the people who took advantage of that? And he went to jail, but I'm not sure if that was related.
>>
>there is literally one alt right babby in this thread that got lost on his way to r/The_Donald and is now trying to argue that we should let bankers and millionaires fuck the economy all they want because Trump said do
>and his arguments are supported by reddit frogs and da joos images

Really make you think.™
>>
>>79705864
> Muh poor juden bankers
> Muh poor oil and coal companies
> My shitty job in a failing auto industry

Holy shit, how can poor white americans be so fucking stupid to defend these chucklefucks who have repeatedly fucked them over su fucking hard over the past four decades. How fucking stupid can these inbred hillbillies be? At least they pretty much signed their own death sentence these elections.
>>
>>79705896
The worst timeline or the best?
>>
>>79706056
Well it's going to suck if you're one of the rust-belt idiots who got suckered into voting for Trump

Here in California we're going to laugh our asses off
>>
>>79706014
Not entirely sure it was one on the list but shrekli did a decent job of pulling attention to what America largely ignores: how big pharma has been butt fucking America raw.

They even concocted the whole EPA fiasco about their propellants destroying the e-zine layer so they were required to switch propellants and then charge quadruple the price on "I need this to live" medications like asthma inhalers.

Other countries you can buy an entire fucking box of asthma inhalers for what they charge for a single one here.

Oh and dont forget to get your asthma preventive medication! It's only $300 for a 2 month supply when it was $35 before this inconvenience of propellants change.
>>
>>79706081
Is Nevada going to be okay?
>>
>>79706204
Nevada is already a desert wasteland, how much worse can it get?
>>
>auditors that get paid to catch shit like this couldn't find it or wouldn't report it
>took a literal autist to oust this shit
figures, it probably could have been much much worse
>>
>>79706143
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/the-soaring-cost-of-a-simple-breath.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Read this shit if you want even a slight idea of how badly Americans are fucked by big pharma, how this shit is legal is beyond me.
>>
>>79704217
It's going to happen in Australia soon, except unlike the USA, it won't damage the entire world, and it's going to be WAY worse in its own nation
>>
>>79706224
Because laws exist to protect the big guy from the little guy, not the other way around.
>>
>>79706224
>http://www.(((nytimes))).com
>Read this shit if you want even a slight idea of how badly Americans are fucked by big pharma...

yeah, no
>>
>>79706215
Yeah, true. Just was curious since I think we went blue.
>>
Unlike other countries, where the government directly or indirectly sets an allowed national wholesale price for each drug, the United States leaves prices to market competition among pharmaceutical companies, including generic drug makers. But competition is often a mirage in today’s health care arena — a surprising number of lifesaving drugs are made by only one manufacturer — and businesses often successfully blunt market forces.

Lmao free market is totalllly goooood brooooo!
>>
File: Obamacare.png (33KB, 480x381px) Image search: [Google]
Obamacare.png
33KB, 480x381px
>>79705809
>>79705695
>>79705251
I didn't like Obama. I don't like Trump. But you can do this kind of "OH NO I DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE [policy] ANYMORE" with any fucking candidate and their supporters.
>>
>>79706258
>Thejeeeeeeews!
Fucking inbred moron.
>>
>>79706258
>lowercase poster
>le jew boogeyman

I get the feeling you wouldn't be smart enough to understand it anyway.
>>
>>79706333
What the fuck is with her? She tweets like a fucking car commercial.
>>
>>79704436
I've never heard of it put like that
>>
>All of this "muh obamacare" in a thread supposed to be about The Big Short (and as a related topic, the housing crash)

Fuck it I'll chip in

Obamacare is utter shite, and I say this as someone who is a supporter of universal healthcare
>>
>>79704641
>government found that minorities were disproportionately rejected for home loans based on the fact they are on the whole worse prospects financially
>passes laws that force banks to give out NINJA (no income no job no asset) loans to "help" minorities
>bankers obviously see this is going to end terribly so they short the market and trade the bad debt created by this policy to their advantage

waah waah greed is bad muh ebil bankers on wall street did this! they ruined our economy!

Maybe because running a government like it's Santa Claus on christmas eve with a fucking huge welfare/warfare state means running fucking huge deficits, so the government tries to get rid of their debt by printing shitloads of money to inflate the problem away. Ballooning property market only helps these aims. Coincidentally, it destroys the middle class, makes saving pointless and enslaves a huge proportion of the population.

Hilariously this somehow gets warped by statists in to the idea that individualism is bad and we need to sink further in to collectivism to prevent these disasters from happening in the future. Until America weans itself off of gibmedats, we're just destined for more and more crashes until the eventual collapse.
>>
>>79706376
hey man, don't lump me in with that ass hole. lowercaseposters are just regular people. we want marriage and a family like anyone else
>>
>>79706333
The difference being Drumpf was very vocal about repealing Obamacare, and these idiots voted for him anyway.
>>
File: screenshot_75.jpg (21KB, 398x267px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_75.jpg
21KB, 398x267px
>make claims your own propellants are causing environmental harm
>Design new propellants for all of your propellant delivered drugs
>Make a patent on each drug and the only propellant now allowed to be used for pharmaceutical purposes
>Have now cut out all competition, removed the generics market, and quintupled your profits by charging ludicrous prices for life saving medicine but lmao it's okay insurance covers the cost
>>
>>79706418
Bad government policy might've caused the housing bubble, but the housing bubble bursting didn't cause a global financial crisis on its own.
>>
>>79706258
>Article talking about the evil shit pharma-jews are doing.
>I WONT TRUST THE ARTICLE BECAUSE OF THE JOOS

You people don't even make sense anymore. I don't even know how we can get your head out of your collective asses before they become some sort of ouroboros singularity that wipes out middle america from the face of the earth.
>>
>>79704217
Found this movie incredibly obnoxious. The script seemed like it was written by a 12 year old who just discovered swearing, and the constant 4th wall breaks really took me out of the moment. Worst moment for me was the bathtub scene, really underlined just how stupid the directors expected the audience to be. I lost interest somewhere between the stripper scene and the custom Jenga tower. Really disappointing given the clout the movie had.
>>
>>79706438
>In order to vote for a candidate you must support absolutely every single one of their policies
If that were true nobody would ever vote
>>
>it's a b level drama throws in some quips so it can compete in the comedy category at the golden globes episode
>>
>>79704661

Pretty sure the message made it clear that the government allowed Wall Street to run out of control and the only victims were the people who the loans were given to. Brad Pitt's character tries to be the "good" guy, but really he was just another guy who took advantage when he could.
>>
>>79706418

>passes laws that force banks to give out NINJA (no income no job no asset) loans to "help" minorities

Is this an asspull or did it actually happen? Need a source, seriously interested.
>>
>>79706416
You have to admit it's relevant to the discussion.
>>
File: trump is your president.jpg (58KB, 750x559px) Image search: [Google]
trump is your president.jpg
58KB, 750x559px
>>79706438
>Drumpf
Seriously? You know that just makes you look like a butthurt idiot, right? It shows your arguing from a place of emotion rather than logic or policy. You're making us look bad.
>>
>>79706625
Not really. Obama and Clinton were certainly huge contributors to the crisis - Obama is definitely a big problem with allowing them to escape justice, too.

But the housing crisis had fuck all to do with the ACA
>>
>>79706438
Honestly in the end I can't really blame them. Every fucking politican makes a bunch of promises and never follows through. They probably didn't expect him to be the one that actually did, the madman.
>>
>>79706682
>crisis
the whole thing was planned.

same people behind obama and bush
>>
>>79706507
I mean, let's be fair here. The audience IS that stupid.

I didn't find it to be particularly profanity heavy though.
>>
>>79706717
Hang on.

Has it been Soros the whole time?
>>
>>79706638
>republicans, the teaparty, and racist morons did not spend 8 years constantly denouncing and refusing to participate with Obongo the Muslim Marxist Kenyan homosexual escort married to a MtF transsexual who is going to send granny to a death panel
>they were well behaved, mature, and operated within the bounds of acceptable discourse
>>
>>79706778
>You beat your enemy by being as retarded as they are

You sound like Trudeau.
>>
>>79706596
Pitt's character didn't really act as if he were doing something morally right though. There was a scene specifically where he told the two younger dudes to stop celebrating because for them to profit would mean that other people would suffer and die.
It was Carell who was portrayed as a hero of justice who was doing it all because he wanted to defeat evil. And he wasn't able to in the end.
>>
>>79707130
I liked how they handled that

At first he was trying to do the right thing and get people to realise how fucked everything was, and eventually he just goes "alright fuck it nothing's going to change I might as well make out with a shitload of money"
>>
>>79706081
More like collapsing into third world anarchy
>>
>>79706081
>California
Fucking lel. kys pls
>>
>>79708130
What an awful response. Let's not end the thread on that note. Can someone with a brain chime in?
>>
Short answer they should never done the banker bailout or quantitative easing. Seeing investors jump from building would make the common American happy again
>>
>>79705251
Trump targeted the dumb white Americans

You gotta admit he did a great job
>>
File: 1477466000406.jpg (106KB, 1129x629px) Image search: [Google]
1477466000406.jpg
106KB, 1129x629px
Ask a random person how our economy works/where money even comes from. People have no fucking clue.

Next crisis will either be mortgage or student loan.
>>
One thing I should say about this film is that it put Feel Good Inc., one of my favorite songs, to excellent use.
>>
>>79709904
interest rates aren't the only monetary policy of the Federal reserve
>>
>>79704388
>>79704408
Why are you making fun of that line? It's exactly what happened.
>>
>>79704217
If you liked this movie, go watch Margin Call.
>>
>>79710007
Let them defend their money hoarding overlords.
>>
>>79710007
Yup can't let the darkies off the democrat gibmedat plantation or they stray and make decisions like this
>>
>>79704418
lol
Bannon worked at Goldman Sachs. Go suck orange dick while the banks fuck you in the ass. BTW, it would be the same thing with Obomb or Killary.
>>
>>79704448

>If it's legal it can't be ethically wrong

Kill yourself retard
>>
>>79704448
>"It isn't their fault that the government had a disastrous economic policy."

well yes it is because they finance political campaigns in exchange for those policies
>>
if we just tax the top 1% all this would be solved and I will be living high on the hog
>>
>>79704641
>I'm not a burger but stuff like giving loans to people who can't pay them back, insuring worthless bonds for far more then they could ever foreseeably be worth because america literally doesn't have that much land and giving false ratings to bad loans seem like fraud to me.

It was a government policy that they tried making banks give out loans to more people.

A major problem was that loans were given out to people based on what they claimed was their income. It didn't matter what your actual income was as it wasn't seriously verified, so you had people just lying about their income so as to get a better loan which they'd use for a home.

A problem for a while has also been that a more expensive home could be more affordable to get into. This is because the loan would be for a larger sum of money and you'd usually be able to get a lower interest rate than if you were going for a smaller loan that would be necessary for a smaller home. It's kinda retarded and part of why we ended up with a housing bubble.

It's tempting to look at these situations as though it's just people on Wall Street fucking everything up, but there really had to be a ton of people getting these loans for themselves which they couldn't afford. Also as soon as someone is in one of these homes, legally they often can find they can't be tossed out for at least a while. Which is part of how these loans could go bad when the person decides they can't pay, yet you can't legally toss the person out, or the value of the place decreases a ton because everyone has been propping up the price of these things because loans were so accessible.

The simple fact is that almost everyone involved had to be fucking up to some degree. It wasn't just a small cabal on Wall Street.
>>
>>79704564
Jesus Christ no wonder this woman lost. How stupid does she think the people are? What a truly evil bitch.
>>
>>79705383
>The movie does a decent job of explaining simple financial instruments to those who can't be bothered to read a finance textbook, but at the same it's obvious that the guy who wrote the book has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to the actual causes of the financial crisis.
Derivates are never simple and Warren Buffet rightfully calls them time bombs.
Read his shareholder letters from 2002, p.13 and 2008, p.16:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html
>>
>>79705993

How are they going to get past the wall though?
>>
>>79705860
Can't stop applauding this post. Imagine being unaware of basic Keynesian economics. You need regulation to dampen the boom & bust cycle of capitalism and it's been objectively proven to work in every step of the way. Obama's policies help reduce the effects of the recession massively, it's a pity our government in the UK shifted from Darling's economic plan to Osbourne's austerity gimmick that put us back into a double dip recession.
>>
One of the few 'based on true story' movie that's actually good
>>
>>79705860
>Lack of regulation allowed for the financial crisis to happen.
bullshit, to quote Warren Buffet:
>Improved “transparency” – a favorite remedy of politicians, commentators and financial regulators for averting future train wrecks – won’t cure the problems that derivatives pose. I know of no reporting mechanism that would come close to describing and measuring the risks in a huge and complex portfolio of derivatives. Auditors can’t audit these contracts, and regulators can’t regulate them. When I read the pages of “disclosure” in 10-Ks of companies that are entangled with these instruments, all I end up knowing is that I don’t know what is going on in their portfolios (and then I reach for some aspirin).
>For a case study on regulatory effectiveness, let’s look harder at the Freddie and Fannie example. These giant institutions were created by Congress, which retained control over them, dictating what they could and could not do. To aid its oversight, Congress created OFHEO in 1992, admonishing it to make sure the two behemoths were behaving themselves. With that move, Fannie and Freddie became the most intensely-regulated companies of which I am aware, as measured by manpower assigned to the task.
>>
>>79705251
>anons believing these false flagging tweets
>>
>>79713583
You just blew everyone the fuck out anon.

Did anyone watch the movie? The only guy who actually predicted the collapse was an autist.
>>
Remember anons, the press and the media form the opinions of the public.
None of you have a single original thought.
>>
>>79705251
Anymore of these? lol
>>
Total risk cannot be entirely removed from any system.It can only be spread around, with the hope that the individual harm is then small enough to cope with. Systemic 2nd-order risk may thus be lessened, but not entirely eliminated. It remains.

Furthermore, this real (and perceived) reduction in risk leads to greater risk taking, bringing us back to where we started, except that the greater risk mitigation and risk sharing measures are taken, the greater the maximum systemic risk.
The better you manage risk, the bigger the damage when the risks finally materialize and the damage cascades through the system and blows it up.
>>
>>79713729
>The only guy who actually predicted the collapse was an autist.
that's because they left out the biggest player:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paulson
>>
File: weini.jpg (115KB, 464x416px) Image search: [Google]
weini.jpg
115KB, 464x416px
>>79704217
This movie depressed and frustrated me because i frankly didn't understand what the fuck they were talking about, even when Margot Robbie or what her name is explained it for dumb people. Maybe because i have never bought a house, and don't even actually know how mortgage works
>>
>>79704217
>Ended up getting some real talk about the economy.

Now I havent seen this film but I higly doubt it gave you some 'real talk' about the economy and therefore I advise you not to take this film as gospel
>>
>>79704448
t.kike
>>
>>79713941
>The better you manage risk, the bigger the damage when the risks finally materialize and the damage cascades through the system and blows it up.
Warren Buffet again:
>Sleeping around, to continue our metaphor, can actually be useful for large derivatives dealers because it assures them government aid if trouble hits. In other words, only companies having problems that can infect the entire neighborhood – I won’t mention names – are certain to become a concern of the state (an outcome, I’m sad to say, that is proper). From this irritating reality comes The First Law of Corporate Survival for ambitious CEOs who pile on leverage and run large and unfathomable derivatives books: Modest incompetence simply won’t do; it’s mindboggling screw-ups that are required.
>>
>>79710007
Because it's inaccurate as fuck.

I like this movie but it left out the governments role as
>>79704359
Said.

That being said more people should be in jail. Those fucks at Goldman knew what they were doing.

t. Finance major
>>
>>79714325
>t. Finance major
did you sleep in all your classes?
>Fundamentally, the current financial crisis is not about the bursting of a real estate bubble. Although housing and subprime loans were the proverbial canary in the coal mine, the real problem was that investors chose too many risky assets of many different kinds. Nor is the financial crisis about mistakes in the banking sector, although many such mistakes were made. At bottom, the financial crisis has been a story of how poorly suited we are at handling unexpected systemic risks, especially those that stem from the so-called real economy. In essence, the story of the current financial crisis can be told in three broad chapters: (1) the growth of wealth, (2) the decision to opt for risky investments, and (3) the underestimation of a new source of systemic risk.
Cowen, Tyler. "A simple theory of the financial crisis; Or, Why Fischer Black still matters." Financial Analysts Journal 65.3 (2009): 17-20.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 335x146px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 335x146px
>>79712990
The more beaucracy and regulations you have, the better it benefits the big guys since they can afford to lobby and get around the regulations with huge legal teams. Small players get fucked.

The less government the better
>>
>>79714499
actually, the less regulations they have, the better it benefits the big guys because they can just run all over the place with it, rather than having to get around regulations with huge legal teams
why would you ever think that more regulations are better for corporations?
fucking moron
>>
>>79714544
t. Someone who never had to try to run a small business

Its fucking hard sometimes because of all the regulations. My shop of 20 people has to follow the same laws as giant corporations only they get loopholes because they lobby.

If there are none we are literally all on the same level playing field.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>79714499
>The less government the better
exactly.
just look before 2008 when investment banks weren't under the purview of the Fed and how well that worked out for Lehman Brothers and the world.
>>
>>79714623
And just look before Clinton when banks weren't forced to give out loans to people who can't afford them. See community reinvestment act.
>>
>>79714615
>t. Someone who never had to try to run a small business
a country is not a company:
http://www.pkarchive.org/trade/company.html
>>
What people fail to realize who was to blame for all this. Not 1, not 2, but THREE parties.

- The government: For pushing banks to allow people with bad credit to purchase homes with these mortgages
- The banks and other lenders: For finding ways to exploit what they were doing
- The borrowers: They should've known that they had ZERO justification and financial background to be able to attain these mortgages

You needed all 3 parties to get involved for this shitstorm to brew and erupt. My dad worked 2 jobs when he came to this country in the 70's and it took him 16 years to get the collateral and rating to justify a mortgage. I had to share a room with my brother up until 6th grade. And my dad was an immigrant from Lebanon who had to practice his English by watching US shows and movies as well as take lessons. There's no fucking excuse.
>>
>>79714615
you're not on the same playing field, though
they have the capital and talent to fuck you up big time, in a world without rules
the solution is not less regulations for everyone
I pity your employees for having such a fucktarded boss
>>
>>79714544
Spoken like a true dipshit college kid that has never actually ran a business.
>>
>>79709904
>mortage loan with low as fuck interest rate
>apartment valued at more than twice the amount i bought it for only three years ago
>housing considered super expensive right now

it can only go one way
>>
The thing about regulations is that corporations and magnates will always find loopholes or pay people to get away with shit. It's the same problem with income tax. If we tax them 35-40%, they're gonna do their damndedst to have tax shelters and tax breaks. But if you made it a flat tax for 7%, there's no incentive to go around it. But then you have the problem of trying to find avenues for revenue.

There's a lot of trial and error we've been doing the past 30 years since Black Monday of 1987. We need to find that perfect median where we allow businesses to grow and develop, but not allow them to be bloated with graft and corruption.
>>
>>79705307
>real economist

lel, no one takes you serious you know that right

t. real trader
>>
>>79714757
>instead of the little guy being fucked by the government, let's have him be fucked even harder by the big guys!

retard
>>
>>79706418
As if the welfare state is anywhere close to as expensive as overspend on military contracts. Its a scapegoat, you have been memed hard
>>
>>79714703
it doesn't matter.
that's just your random housing bubble.
it shouldn't affect the financial system systematically.

see >>79714492
>>
>>79705383
he knows
it's socialist propaganda
>>
>>79706418
>Until America weans itself off of gibmedats, we're just destined for more and more crashes until the eventual collapse.
America has only like one decade left till running its huge trade deficit will mean that the majority of the US is owned by foreigners.
Investment income is already negative since 2006.
>>
>>79704448

Fuck off Schlomo
>>
>>79710119

>anybody who works for a bank automatically works for that bank for free forever

Is this what unemployed children really believe?
>>
The movie is great, people tend to hate on it because they refuse to see wall street and government as retards who go after easy money without thinking about what they are doing for a second and people here need their conspiracies and having the big bads controlling them and they couldn't make it through the day if they knew just how little power humans have over their fate.

Second reason it's hated is because it "dumbs down" the economic stuff which makes them feel ashamed because they think that they are looked down upon even though understanding seemingly complex stuff as what it really is is the best weapon to fight off the retarded systems.

As for me I loved the movie and even though I broadly knew what happened seeing the whole thing from the perspective of individual gears that allowed the whole thing to happen was a very emotional experience, i felt restless for a few days after that.
>>
>>79717201

>Saturday - Went to the White House and met Jones there. I said to the President that we did not buy any gold last night. He said, "That is right. Harrison called up and spoke to Jesse." I could not make out whether he also spoke to the President. Then Harrison urged that inasmuch as Saturday was only half a day that they should not buy any gold. Both the President and Jones said that they thought they made a mistake by agreeing with Harrison. I believe it was on Friday that we raised the price 21¢, and the President said, "It is a lucky number because it is three times seven." If anybody ever knew how we really set the gold price through a combination of lucky numbers, etc., I think that they really would be frightened. Saturday we increased the price 10¢. I stayed after Jones left and had a good half hour talk in which most of the time Louis Howe was present.

From Henry Morgenthau Jr.'s diary.
>>
>>79704719
>Because you know nothing about finance. It is a science

In a sandbox maybe. All economic models are based on shit that can unpredictably change at any moment in the real world.
>>
>>79705383
>CDOs by themselves aren't inherently the issue but rather how the risk was assessed on them.

This was communicated in the movie. Bluntly. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>79704448
The banks lost all that money that's pretty wrong. Then they got a bail out and paid no price
>>
File: Stirner.gif (10KB, 279x305px) Image search: [Google]
Stirner.gif
10KB, 279x305px
ITT: spooks
>>
>>79714846
>let's have him be fucked even harder by the big guys!
explain me how
>>
>>79704217
I felt stupid walking out because I didn't understand what I saw, but the writing was good enough for me to get invested anyway.
>>
>>79704217
>The exact same fucking thing is going to happen again, isn't it?

Yes, it's already well under way and has been since immediately after the last one. It's going to be even worse, but it's also going to be different, the market swellings aren't the same, they're bigger but on different markets.
>>
>>79704217
Yo derivatives have always been a thing and will continue to be a thing. The nature of derivatives allows the market for them to rapidly expand. The notional value of all derivatives being traded is over 10x more than the total amount of world currency. The reason it was fucked in this case is because the underlying asset at the bottom of the chain was fucked beyond belief (as you saw in the movie). When the underlying asset failed the whole market built upon it came crashing down as well.
>>
>>79719330
>Then they got a bail out
Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns and Merrill Lynch died
that's 3 out of all 10 bulge bracket investment banks

>paid no price
the equity of all banks got wiped out
Thread posts: 191
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.