[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that Michael Bay made it into The Criterion Collection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

Reminder that Michael Bay made it into The Criterion Collection
>>
>>79670993
He's an auteur. Not a good one, but he's certainly an artist.
>>
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
File: sklzbZy.jpg (43KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
sklzbZy.jpg
43KB, 650x365px
Can we bring the brewskies
>>
Reminder that 95% of getting into the Criterion Collection is what Criterion can secure the rights to
>>
>>79670993
I haven't seen Armageddon yet. But The rock is fine. I think there are better action flicks out there but whatever.
>>
Kevin Smith also made it
>>
>>79671207
this

while they do great work releasing old classics on home video that bigger studio-owned companies won't touch since they won't sell in huge numbers, they aren't cultural arbiters deciding the "canon" of world cinema
>>
>>79670993
Armageddon is good.
>>
And?

They just re-release stuff (and sometimes re-scan stuff)that they want to and can get the rights to.
>>
>>79671376
>they aren't cultural arbiters deciding the "canon" of world cinema

what is
>>
the armageddon/chasing amy/the royal tenenbaums deals with disney probably paid their rent & bills for years
>>
>>79671492
/tv/
>>
>>79671376
They're the closest thing we have. The majority of their movies are at the very least interesting to watch
>>
They need more Baykino honestly. Special editions of 13 Hours and Pain N Gain would probably be big sellers.
>>
>check criterion
>It's real

WE DID IT REDDIT, WE MEME'D OUR MOVIE INTO THE PATRICIAN HOUSE
>>
With Blue is The Warmest Color this is two comic book movies in the collection I believe.
>>
>>79671591

>They're the closest thing we have.

Here is a tip that will blow your mind You don't need one
>>
>>79671644
>criterion
>patrician house
Lethal Weapon isn't there so your claim is false.
>>
>>79671675
>Have Thora Birch and Scarjo at their prime
>Make a shitty ass cover

sasuga Criterion
>>
>>79671675
Is the movie good?

I liked the comic.
>>
>>79671810
haven't read the comic but enjoyed the movie.
>>
>>79671676
Then what keeps unique films from being overshadowed by endless box office trash?
>>
>>79670993
Every day I have to let it sink in that Billy Ray Cyrus is featured on a Criterion Collection movie
>>
>>79671874

Nothing, because that is and what has always happened? Unique/Niche/Quality films will always be made and distributed and they will always be overshadowed by whatever is popular at the time.

It's nice to have a company like criterion out there, but having a "if its not released on criterion it's not worth watching" mindset that lots of people have is stupid. Which is more what I was getting at.
>>
>>79671030

This is true.

He only needs good script.
>>
>>79671874
Are you literally retarded? Why are you even watching Hollywood trash, it implies you've gotten through French/Japanese new-wave, European blocks and the classics eras of cinema.

I mean, watching Hollywood is fine, if you want something to relax and unwind to, but they are not worth their weight in salt when put abasing the numerous amounts of classics out there which you, an I, have barely scratched the surface of.

This is besides the point, once you understand your taste, there is only subjective and objective. Both of which are easily identifiable.
>>
>>79671990
I'm not saying a film isn't worth watching if it's not in Criterion, but it helps to have a company with a reputation garnering attention for underrated films.
>>
>>79671913
Billy Ray Cyrus fucked Paul Theroux's wife in Mulholland Drive. So hes in at least one other
>>
>>79671913
>>79672177
This is genuinely upsetting
>>
>>79671913
>https://www.criterion.com/people/123276-billy-ray-cyrus

He even has an official Criterion page
>>
>>79672291

Why?
>>
>>79671492
>>79671591
>closest thing
the BFI's Sight and Sound lists desu, or
TSPDT

>>79671676
>implying
In terms of history and culture, one individual's opinion doesn't mean much, so such "arbiters" and the idea of a "canon" are somewhat important in the grand scheme of things

But personally, yeah you or anybody are free to dislike any of the so-called "Great" films as much as you want if that is your honest reaction
>>
>>79670993
Not once but twice...The Rock is also in there
>>
File: Tiny_furniture_poster.jpg (89KB, 297x443px) Image search: [Google]
Tiny_furniture_poster.jpg
89KB, 297x443px
>>79670993
I'm more bothered by Dunham being in the collection than Bay.
>>
>>79671344
>it's a kevin doesn't know what bisexuals are episode
>>
>>79672291
Adam Sandler is a worse tragedy
>>
>>79672710

Why is this a tragedy? It's a great film and he was good in it?
>>
>>79671207
This. That's the reason why there's no Criterion blu-ray of Citizen Kane or King Kong, despite those being the first movies they released.
>>
>>79672757
The rest of his body of work is just so mediocre it's hard to take the man seriously.
>>
If Michael Bay can make it, can Zack Snyder?
>>
>>79672822

But the rest of his body of work is irrelevant, what is relevant is this film, and the film is good.

What sort of retard can't accept that someone can be good in a film if they are bad in others?
>>
The Rock and 13 Hours are pure kino

>>79672710
You can't be serious
>>
>>79672999
What sort of retard can't see the hilarity in Adam Sandler, a notoriously terrible comedian and actor, ending up in a collection alongside Orson Welles movies?
>>
who doesnt like armageddon
>>
>>79671675

>Criterion blu ray of Ghost World.

About fucking time! I can finally upgrade my mediocre German BD release.
>>
>>79673075

Because he acted well in a good movie that deserves to be in that collection.
>>
So did they just toss Akira Kurosawa's entire filmography in? I've seen maybe two of his films. Is he truly kino?
>>
>>79673300
Yes, and yes.
>>
>>79673300
He's the Steven Spielberg of Japanese film. So depends on whether you like Steven Spielberg. I would say all of his films from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s are worth watching at least once, particularly Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Hidden Fortress, and Throne of Blood. If you like those you'll probably like most of his other films.
>>
>>79673409
I just realized not a single Spielberg movie is in the Collection...weird
>>
>>79672990
BvS Ultimate Edition and Man of Steel will make it in a few years when people finally get th ekino
>>
>>79673624
Probably a rights issue more than anything.
>>
Surprised more Lynch films aren't on the list
>>
>>79673906
They need to be good films to get on it
>>
File: angersign.jpg (46KB, 672x448px) Image search: [Google]
angersign.jpg
46KB, 672x448px
>>79673953
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.