[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love the science fiction genre, heck I love all the genre's.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: starwars_551c43f4.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
starwars_551c43f4.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
I love the science fiction genre, heck I love all the genre's. Religiously watched Star Trek while growing up.

Somehow Star Wars never appealed to me, watched it again and again on movie nights because friends loved it. Every time going in with an open mind that it is good I need to just see whats it all about. Nope, the story is really bland. I think a child could have made up a better story.

Lately with all the renewed interest I find I am the only one. I got co workers that don't even watch English movies or science fiction telling me how remarkable the movies are.

Am I alone in this? Is there really something to it that I am not seeing?
>>
The original Star Wars was a product of its time and is remembered more for its groundbreaking special effects than anything else. The new movies are basically miking that nostalgia.
>>
>>79652268

I feel the same way. I like science fiction and hard sci-fi but I could never get too invested in Star Wars, I could appreciate A New Hope for how revolutionary it was in terms of special effects but I guess it is too ingrained in popular culture for me to get excited about.
>>
Congratulations you are not a brain dead normie! Here is your prize!
>>
star wars isn't science fiction. it is space fantasy
>>
>>79652268
Star Wars is sci-fi only in the loosest sense of word. It's a combination of Flash Gordon serials, Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey, and Eastern mysticism. The aliens and spaceships are just window dressing.
>>
>>79652268
Star Wars is fantasy, not hard core sci-fi.
>>
File: Binary_Sunset.png (1MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Binary_Sunset.png
1MB, 1920x816px
I suppose not, it may be something you have to watch as a kid to have an appreciation for, hence why it's being pushed harder than ever.

I'm a pretty big pleb when it comes to movies, but I think a lot of stuff in the original trilogy has pretty good cinematography, especially in A New Hope, and also the fact that it takes a lot of visual inspiration from real 20th century wars. I don't think it's any coincidence that it came out two years after 'Nam.

Pic related is my favorite scene, I think it really reflects what Star Wars is all about - escapism.
>>
>>79652383
this.
>>
>>79652268
>I love the science fiction genre, heck I love all the genre's. Religiously watched Star Trek while growing up.

>Somehow Star Wars never appealed to me, watched it again and again on movie nights
>because friends loved it. Every time going in with an open mind that it is good I need to just see whats it all about. Nope, the story is really bland. I think a child could have made up a better story.

>Lately with all the renewed interest I find I am the only one. I got co workers that don't even watch English movies or science fiction telling me how remarkable the movies are.

>Am I alone in this? Is there really something to it that I am not seeing?

Because you didn't play any Battlefront.
>>
>>79652268
>>79652325

>Star Wars
>Science Fiction

Star Wars is a fantasy story set in space. It doesn't give a single solitary fuck about having a consistent setting or exploring the implications of futuristic technology, it just makes up whatever it wants to and declares previous stuff non-canon for the sake of the plot.
>>
File: Anakin VS Obi-Wan.gif (2MB, 517x349px) Image search: [Google]
Anakin VS Obi-Wan.gif
2MB, 517x349px
>>79652268
Star Wars is a weird crossover between Sci-fi and Fantasy. Which is exactly why I love it but I cannot get into the more Sci-fi movies/series such as Star Trek. So it's normal to not get into Star Wars since it is just not exactly Sci-fi.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.