[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like the show and all, but am I the only one who laughs at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: delaney.jpg (323KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
delaney.jpg
323KB, 2048x1365px
I like the show and all, but am I the only one who laughs at any and all attempts to portray or use the concept of torture in films/shows?

This whole "high capacity for pain" is fucking hilarious. It's almost as funny as the cheese grater to the outer leg and waterboarding being the worst they could come up with.

In reality they'd fucking cheese grate his dickhead, chop his fingers off half inch by half inch, scoop out his fucking kneecaps with broken whiskey bottles and much much worse.

It's not that hard to write around, so just do that, write around it, say the trialwill be public and delaney cant be seen to have been tortured or something.

Don't fucking reveal a table of insidious torture devices and not use a single one during these 12 hours of unbearable by everyone except james delaney water boarding event
>>
>>79604500
[citation needed]
>>
from a scale 10-10, how retarded are you?
>>
>>79604533
For the postulation that in times of war humans have resorted to much more savage and vicious torture practices than waterboarding and cheesegrating a leg?
>>
>>79604796
postulation is not proof
>>
>>79604886
ok?
are you trying to imply that it would be even remotely hard to find proof to support the postulation?
>>
>>79604920
then go and find it
>>
Why do you care about this so much?
>>
>>79605023
Extreme case of autism or OCD, his tiny brain can't probably handle reality from film.
>>
>>79604945
uhhh no thx you can just go fuck off and leave the discussion to people who are more knowledgeable in general.
>>79605023
It doesn't make sense, that's why.
>>
>>79605023
>>79604757
Who the fuck are you talking to? Quotes exist for a reason, faggot.
>>
>>79605183
>Autism
>>
>>79605183

>>>/Reddit/
>>
File: 1468814125543.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1468814125543.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>79605180

>It doesn't make sense, that's why.

You're talking about a show with ghost fucking and you have a problem with the implements of torture not being realistic enough?
>>
>>79605180
but you dont even have proof, so you dont know anything about this subject either besides your retarded views on what works in the real world and what translates well into film and television.
>>
File: mmm.jpg (32KB, 500x569px) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
32KB, 500x569px
>>79605180
>It is well known that the Tower of London has been a place of imprisonment, torture and execution over the centuries.
>It is surprising to learn that actually, torture was only employed in the Tower during the 16th and 17th centuries, and only a fraction of the Tower’s prisoners were tortured.
>Following criticism that torture was not only cruel but ineffective, as a prisoner on the rack would say anything in order to be freed, torture in the Tower of London was abandoned from the mid 17th century onward.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Torture-in-the-Tower-of-London/
>>
File: 1391361374069 - Copy.jpg (111KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
1391361374069 - Copy.jpg
111KB, 584x622px
>>79604500

I'm 5 episodes into it and I fucking love it.

I'm actually glad it's being shilled here so much.

Also, mon visage in the second episode where James literally says "it's necessary evil" in a barely contained Bane voice. I fucking chuckled but my brain is fried by bane posting so maybe I'm connecting shit too much.
>>
>>79604500
mmhmm
>>
>>79605255
>implying the show hasn't tried it's very best to be set in reality in regards to the time period

Hey did you see that scene where delaney ran up the wall and triple blackflipped spin sliced that assassins head right off???

No? maybe because aside from the voodoo the show is completely realistic
>>
>>79605210
>>79605209
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>79605265
Do you actually believe that because I will not go and google some stuff off the internet for you that that means there isn't proof and I am not utterly assured that I am correct?
Answer honestly please.
>>79605267
You just proved my point... a prisoner worth being torutred would be put on the rack and be singing the blues of anything and everything because of the barbaric torture visited upon his person...
Maybe you are trying to claim that since delaney is in 18th century means something?
To that point its obvious they are subjecting delaney to the rack, whic his well documented to be much worse than waterboarding and a little cheesegrating.
>>
>>79605657
>Do you actually believe that because I will not go and google some stuff off the internet for you that that means there isn't proof and I am not utterly assured that I am correct?

yes you autistic retard. cheese grate yourself
>>
>>79605657
>a prisoner worth being torutred would be put on the rack and be singing the blues of anything and everything because of the barbaric torture visited upon his person...
but big guy's goal wasn't getting out of the torture, it was getting a meeting with stuart
>>
>>79605706
>wants people to cite sources for common knowledge
>calls others autistic and retarded

you're like 15 going on 16 aren't you?
>>
>>79605657
>18th
>>
hmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmmhmmhmmhmhmmmmhmm
>>
>>79605929
jesus christ
i'm fucking dying
>>
>>79605929
be very careful now
>>
Wow OP is a retard.
I'd like to see him be waterboarded and have his leg grated by a big guy in a gimp mask and shrug it off, not to mention being drugged by a chink.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason they don't start cutting him up was so that he didn't fucking die?
>>
>>79606005
>cut off a man's dick
>he dies
>>
>>79605925
thought it was late 18th instead of early19th, whatever
>>
>>79606049
>1814
>>
>>79605657
your alternative facts are meaningless
the point is they didn't torture people at all in the 1800s
believe it or not, hardy's little pet project does indeed contain some historical errors
please kill yourself at the earliest convenience for the benefit of all or, if you are too cowardly to do so, I suppose we will have to be content with you never reproducing and passing on your retarded genes to a child who you would raise in an equally retarded fashion
>>
>>79606275
Whether or nto peopel were tortured in the 1800's is irrelevant moron.
The fact is they tortured or at least attempted to portray Delaney being tortured in the show, and that portrayal is a fucking joke compared to what torture really was and should look like.

Your argument is the equivalent of someone making a slavery show where the field masters used paddles instead of whips and then you going
NO ITS FINE THE SHOW IS 1904 THEY DIDNT HAVE SLAVES THEN ANYMORE DURING THAT TIME LOL
>>
>>79606480
Be very careful now.
>>
>>79606480
>and that portrayal is a fucking joke compared to what torture really was and should look like.
yea why didn't they show his dick grated and his kneecaps scooped out, that woulda been hella f*ckin epic
>>
>>79606480
it's not a joke at all
they need information from him, they don't want to butcher him
>>
>>79606480
>...it soon becomes obvious that very little of the tortures they describe took place in the Middle Ages.
>This does not mean that torture did not exist in the Middle Ages – it certainly did, and by the later medieval period was considered a legal practice for obtaining a confession. However, medieval people were just not as imaginative and creative as modern day people believe. Instead what little we know about torture methods suggests that fairly simple methods were used, such as binding people very tightly with ropes.

http://www.medievalists.net/2016/03/why-medieval-torture-devices-are-not-medieval/

those devices would never have even been in the tower
your idea of "what torture really was and should look like" is pure bullshit
people like you have been swallowing it for decades

also, before you said
>>79605180
>more knowledgeable in general
thus opening up the argument to historical reality, a more apt interpretation of "knowledge" than simplistic logic
logic, by the way, that is retarded, as others have pointed out
>>
File: hmmmnnnn.jpg (215KB, 2560x1136px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmnnnn.jpg
215KB, 2560x1136px
I have a use for this thread
>>
>>79606966
Middle ages ended in the 15th century you fucking dunce.
Those devices would have been in the tower and the horror contraptions that may not have been widespread but certainly did exist in the medieval period would certainly have been at their disposal in the tower as well.

And also, historical reality of torture by governments is not the same as the historical reality of torture in general. The article alludes to that, pointing out that well known torture devices such as the rack and the brazen bull were thought up in ancient times, directly contradicting the line you decided to cherry pick to support your argument.
>>
Getting caught was part of his plan you fucking idiot.
>>
>>79608004
but your modern perception flows from the middle ages
believe it or not, people were actually civilized in the 1800s
and civilized people know that torture does no good
>>
>>79608175
My modern perception flows from the entire history of the human race and the well documented atrocities that people have continuously visited upon each other.

OF course people were civilized, does that mean there wasnt savages willing to torture?

What about now? go to liveleak and watch the mexican cartels torture, or ISIS. There has always and always will be people willing to do that kind of stuff.

And if you think that the U.S government isn't doing or would do the same level of inhumane shit if the need is great enough then you are beyond naive.

and I dont know where this retarded idea that torture doesnt work comes from. The only problem with the efficacy of torture is getting TOO MUCH information with some of it being made up.
>>
>>79608496
the british government would not have done it in the 1800s
deal with it, retard
>>
>>79608496
You have made the comical error that assuming if something is done enough, then it must be worth doing without questioning it. Torture is worthless to get 100% new info, the only use is to verify information gotten elsewhere (which is itself prone to double bluffs, leaks of false information corroborated by tortured people who fancy themselves martyrs and "verify" the lie or have been lied to by their leadership as well).

Torture is only used still because it makes the torturers feel good. Anytime it seems to get good info the positives are exalted, any time it doesn't then the weaknesses are swept under the rug. It's a practice that only thrives thanks to sadists and people with massive confirmation bias.
>>
>>79604500
OP makes a valid point, there are likely worse torture techniques. Even if there were laws against torture, back then governments could get away with just about anything. An enemy of the state will be dealt with any ways necessary.

I would take this idea even further. Everything about this whole show is improbable. It's fantasy. No single man could cuck the King, the East India Company, and all of London while helping the United States at the same time. It's all a bunch of bullshit. He would have been dead a long time ago. However, that's not an interesting story. It's a fucking TV show and he's a really interesting character. Who cares.
>>
File: where.png (187KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
where.png
187KB, 600x386px
>>79609136
>who cares
>>
>>79608544
Naive
>>79608844
All those negatives are true sure but within all the bullshit and half truths and lies eventually if you are severe enough you can be sure that the truth has been given to you.

Now all there is left to do is sift through the information you got and find a good way about acting on it or verifying it.

The martyrs wouldnt give you any information in any other scenario and anyone who doesnt fancy themselves a martyr will break easily and swiftly under real torture.

Dealing with the information gleaned from torture is another question by itself. that torture gives you information you would not be able to get any other way from a person shouldn't be in question.

>where is the bomb?
>it's at A! i swear
>more torture
>It's at B!
>more torture
>it's at C!
>more torture
>It's at D!
>more torture
>it's E

>bomb was at C

That is not worthless.
>>
>>79609375
>naive

it's really not, you dumbfuck
torture just doesn't work more effectively than bargaining or gaining cooperation through methods that actually work
study after study has shown that torture is simply a shit way to gather intelligence

Also, this spacing

Where you go like this

Is fucking retarded

It's a giant sign that reads "IM RTURDD"
>>
>>79609665
Obviously, if there is a chance to bargain or negotiate some agreement then that option will be explored first...
But in the many cases where it's an enemy combatant who knows they will be executed or can't trust anything you offer them then torture becomes a million times more effective than anything else.

>study after study

lmfao pls show me all of this studies showing torture doesnt work. I'm really curious to know where they allow people to be tortured for science.

Also, read the thread, more people double space than don't, it makes things easier to read and helps separate ideas and increases clarity.

As far as you insulting me for it, that just shows you are reacting emotionally to this debate, probably clouding your judgement.
>>
>>79610071
eh, fuck off
>>
File: strange2.jpg (28KB, 844x519px) Image search: [Google]
strange2.jpg
28KB, 844x519px
>>79604500
>this scene

http://vocaroo.com/i/s15cMbVErp5W
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.