[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Social Anxieties through CGI in 90s Films

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: CGI Dino.png (742KB, 935x507px) Image search: [Google]
CGI Dino.png
742KB, 935x507px
Could /tv/ give me some examples of how CGI represented anxieties within the 90s. Jurassic Park and genetic engineering is the only thing I can think of.
>>
Terminator 2
>>
>>79563770
How so?
>>
>>79564672
Fear of tech, y2k, nuclear weapons.
>>
Can't you pick a better topic for your essay?
>>
Do your own fucking homework
>>
Matrix, AI
>>
You really don't need good examples, just need to xplain yourself well. Titanic could be seen as showing the anxieties of the failures of technology and human hubris in the face of an unfeeling natural world.
Waterworld could be anxieties over the ozone layer and global warming showing through the film. The Matrix and the fear becoming slaves to our own technology and so on and so on.
>>
Spawn
Fear of going to Hell

Phantom Menace
Being in Hell
>>
>>79564917
kek
>>
>>79564892
I'm afraid I do need examples as the question is based around CGI and cultural anxieties. Struggling to think of examples
>>
Do your own homework, cunt.
>>
>>79564749

like ur mum?
>>
That quick cg shot of the check in lady turning into a yellow eel in fear and loathing in las vegas. Also when the carpets are moving. It's pure anxiety because they are on acid
>>
>>79563752
Alien invasion and the end of the world.
>>
Cultural anxieties are something that I would assume are a collective anxiety like global warming. Waterworld seems like a good link. Don't know which scene would be relevant
>>
CGI represents the anxiety of over perfection. In the 90s CGI appeared to be a feasible way to reach some form of cinematic perfection, circumventing clumsy analog effects. I argue that it is precisely these small flaws in the analog mode that allow for a more true experience than the hyper realism of CGI. In psychoanalytic theory there is a concept known as object-cause-of-desire. The small flaws existing in the analog method allow for the illusion of perfection that cannot exist with CGI. So the anxiety arises when CGI is used in an attempt to create a more perfect product, but simultaneously destroys what made the original so good.
>>
not sure how much cgi it had but I remember contagion reflecting on people's fear of west nile virus, sars, swine flu, etc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.