[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Movies that are too smart for /tv/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

File: share[1].jpg (823KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
share[1].jpg
823KB, 1200x630px
I'll start
>>
>>79536061
Literally just watched this.
>>
File: 1480015064542.png (443KB, 1366x625px) Image search: [Google]
1480015064542.png
443KB, 1366x625px
>>
>>79536061
Started good, but lost speed at some point.

They should have explored the process of developing vocabulary a bit more. Also the theoretical physician should have had a more important role, figuring shit about the aliens.
That line at the end where he says he was more amazed to discover Louise than the aliens was the most beta thing ever said.

Also, as most alien movies, the aliens are too unimaginative and sterile. They don't feel real enough, their ship is all clean and uniform, it's always the same problem for these movies. I watched this last night and today at a restaurant I was looking at a bottle of pizza oil on the corner of table, and noticed all the details on the bottle label that, to an external alien eye, would be complete non-sense. There is a calorie table, but there is also a logo to say its ecofood and there was a brand name, and some image, etc. When it comes to alien things in movie, it's always so blank and dead looking. People doing these movies shouldn't be affraid to add useless, unexplained details. Yesterday, when watching the movie, I was thinking out it would be nice if their ship had a yellow line running on one wall, for no reason that we know of. Just make it more messy, make it more strange. Black squids in a black rock-shaped ship is not original, and if it is, it didn't feel real, it felt like a prototype of an alien society.
>>
>>79536723
>he was more amazed to discover Louise than the aliens was the most beta thing ever said.
it's a chick flick. they take a story about aliens saving humanity and turn it into a story about motherhood. Midnight Special kinda did the same about fatherhood, but it never lost sight of the mission.
>>
>>79536436
Hah, me too. xD
>>
>>79536777
>Motherhood
>Only mothers raise children
>Only mothers mourn when kids die
>>
>>79536436
Same dude
I just came to /tv/ looking for a thread
>>
>>79536784
I know you're memeing but whatever
>>79536825
Pretty much. I think it deserves a second or third watch.
>>
>>79536807
the male perspective is pretty much nonexistent from Arrival and you know it. Renner is barely a character, he's a plot device. but the actor is pretty used to it. pic related.
>>
>>79536061
This meme is indicative of the state of /tv/. The state is shit.

Literally a 3/10 exposition flick
>>
>>79536874
Just because the main character is female does not mean a male perspective is missing. Nothing in the entire movie happened to her that would not have been the same with a male character. Thus, irrelevant.
>>
>>79536874
This. Every male is depicted as this complete barbaric idiot. The colonel has this elementary school level of understanding in linguistics. I get that many americans are monolingual, take language for granted and sometime think all languages are 1:1 reskins of each other, but still, he sounded like a total idiot.
>>
File: news-093013b-lg[1].jpg (217KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
news-093013b-lg[1].jpg
217KB, 1280x848px
>>79536061
Any Tarkovsky Kino
or
Gravity
>>
>>79536932
>Nothing in the entire movie happened to her that would not have been the same with a male character.
You're absolutely right. It's basically a Nolan movie with a female character. Garbage.
>>
>>79536947
>You're absolutely right. It's basically a Nolan movie with a female character. Garbage.
>If I say dumb shit because I can't understand simple shit then I must be correct.
>>
>>79536061
Good pic op
pic related is my pick
>>
>>79537004
>because I can't understand simple shit then I must be correct.
Arrival is a very simple modern Hollywood "cerebral" blockbuster, where the audience feels intelligent if they understand the exposition.
>>
>>79536908
>Literally a 3/10 exposition flick
you know being hyperbolic only makes you sound retarded, right?
>>
>spend whole movie showing logically how an alien encounter would go and how to communicate

>ruin it in the last 10 minutes with space magic
>>
ASURA
>>
File: Untitled-19.png (31KB, 229x231px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-19.png
31KB, 229x231px
>>79536061
>tfw too stupid to understand The Big Short

seriously
>>
>>79537081
>where the audience feels intelligent
See I see the point you're trying to make and it's not relevant. There's something for everyone in it, except people that want to turn their noses up as a meme.
>>
File: clevr.png (18KB, 774x716px) Image search: [Google]
clevr.png
18KB, 774x716px
>tfw to smart for anything other than snyderkino
DAE arthurian legend underrated gems?
>>
>>79537082
You know this place isn't for swrious discussion? I won't repeat myself.

Villenueve makes a lifeless first contact film. It is entirely predictable and Amy Adams was horrendous
>>
>>79537151
>There's something for everyone in it,
Citation needed. I wasn't filled with wonder at all while watching it. Everything was cold and lifeless, like Midnight Special: The characters were meant to be relatable and human but they were just boring.
>>
>>79537119
>"space magic"
>It's yet another anon proves that he didn't understand the film when he tries to criticise it episode
>>
>>79537151
>There's something for everyone in it
no
watching 40 minutes of unnecessary exposition isn't entertaining
only people that barely were able to understand Arrival actually enjoyed watching Arrival. I was restless in my seat
>>
>>79536723
>They should have explored the process of developing vocabulary a bit more. Also the theoretical physician should have had a more important role, figuring shit about the aliens.
Those are good points. I fucking hated when I saw that they decided to show the process of learning and interacting through a advertisement video. And I couldn't understand what was Ian role in all that at all until he made that 1/12 assumption. Other than that he seemed pretty useless, a mere plot device.
>>79537131
I watched it at least 3 times. I understood almost everything the first time, I just really liked it.
>>
>>79537191
>only people that barely were able to understand Arrival actually enjoyed watching
Do you even read this shit you type man?
>>
>>79537186
I'm referring to them giving her the ability to see the future without learning their language.
>>
>>79537235
not an argument
>>
>>79537236
But she did learn their language
What are you talking about?
>>
>>79537258
No it's not. Nor was it meant to be. I literally cannot take you seriously at this point.
>>
>>79537276
They say that they would need years to translate 1/12 of the language needed to see through time, yet she gets taken into the fog and is able to see through time for no reason, which begs the question why they just didn't do that at the start of the movie and not waste everyone time.
>>
File: robert sheehan.jpg (182KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
robert sheehan.jpg
182KB, 800x1200px
>>79537321
I cannot actually believe that someone this stupid has the ability to use a computer... holy shit...
>>
>>79537308
>literally
I'm literally embarrassed for you.
>>
>>79537308
>I literally cannot take you seriously at this point.
I don't care. Either make a point or stop replying to me
>>
>>79536941
>Gravity.
>too smart
You have to be fucking trolling.
Beautifully shot, yes. Smart? Not in the slightest. Take an elementary physics class sometime and you might not feel this way.
>>
>>79537236
Learning the language is what gave the that ability. She did learn the language.
>>
>>79537398
Nah, I'll give you all the (You)s you want.
>>
>>79537321
My guess about it is that Louise interacting with the aliens immersed herself into their way of thinking. The 12/12 was needed so that they could teach the rest of the humanity. She has visions before she fully learns the language, that's because she is interacting with them explicitly and is gradually "rewiring"
>>
>Arrival
>smart
wew lad

villeneuve made sure 99% of the population would leave the theaters satisfied with this movie: lots of exposition. only a low IQ cretin would be unable to understand it

still a good movie, 7/10
>>
>>79537131

Banks were selling Subprime loans aka big loans to people without the means to pay it back. Credit Agencies were claiming they were good loans (lying about it), the small banks were selling the loans to big banks who leveraged it in the stock market and also took out insurance on them cuz some knew they were shit 2008 comes, people stop paying their loans, bubble bursts, big banks make even more money because the insurance; little banks, people, and the insurance agency gets fucked. Some of the big banks do too but they just lobby congress for a bailout. A few smart people saw it all and made some loot off the whole thing.
>>
>>79537398
>>79537258
I feel like you do this often
>>
>>79537400
Gravity - its Kino doesnt about Space, its about woman which live alone in house after brake relations.
It is all allusion
>>
>>79537528
Finally, someone with some sense. It's not smart, pretending people that enjoy it, do so because they think it's smart is some next level 'too smart' bullshit.
>>
File: 1474495834663.jpg (79KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474495834663.jpg
79KB, 600x720px
Arrival looks and feels good, but only on the outside, if you were to watch it like say, a Nolan flick.
The movie lacks any significant depth, there is only, at the most, one level of depth or derivation to make as a viewer.
The movie has very good cinematography, but falls short on the music and the story, which only delivers what it is expected to deliver.
What really bothers me with this movie is all the questions that are asked but never answered. Like, for example, the language, and more specifically, how it (and languages in general, as mentioned) changes the way one thinks. This is never explained in any form of detail except for a quick mention.
Further the movie gives the viewer a sense of accomplishment by letting the viewers draw THE EXACT SAME CONCLUSIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS as every other viewer, which honestly impresses (in a sense of storytelling) me but removes any form of profoundness or indulgence that the movie would allow you otherwise.

It is, all in all, a decent movie, but falls short in so many aspects.
It makes me very sad that a movie with so much potential would not allow itself, due to the mentality of the expected audience, to live up to it.
>>
>>79536061
IT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACCT
>>
>>79537771
>IT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACCT
IT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACT
IT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACCTIT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACCTIT2S JUST A FUCKING REWRITE OF 1997s CONTACT YOU FUCKING DIAPER WEARING FAGGOTS, THIS FILM IS FUCKING BORING SHITTY TENTACLE ALIENS SPRAYING COFFEE STAINS AND DR WHO BULLSHIT YOU PEOPLE ARE FUCKING DUMB SHIT BANE POSTING ASSWIPES AND SHOULD STICK TO REALITY TV ARRIVAL IS LACKLUSTRE AT BEST FOR FUCKS SAKES ITS JUST 1997s CONTACCT
>>
So the point is that because in the future she comprehends time linearly then she can always do that?
>>
File: 1462978169609.jpg (174KB, 938x515px) Image search: [Google]
1462978169609.jpg
174KB, 938x515px
It has to be said and repeated as often as possible.
>>
>>79536061
Any links for a good stream. Cannot find the one I found and then abandoned late last night...
>>
File: raw-23.jpg (2MB, 5754x6466px) Image search: [Google]
raw-23.jpg
2MB, 5754x6466px
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.