[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we witnessing the dawn of pointlesskino?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 22

File: kyno.jpg (1MB, 3000x1432px) Image search: [Google]
kyno.jpg
1MB, 3000x1432px
Are we witnessing the dawn of pointlesskino?
>>
>if it doesn't have action scenes and superheros in it then it's pointless
>if it doesn't have a "deep meaning" then it's pointless
watch more movies, retard
also, the "dawn of pointlesskino" how you put it was probably during the rise of french new wave
>>
>>79532839
>>dawn

9-11 was a long time ago op
>>
>>79532907
Not talking about action scenes and superheros, it's just that all these films just sort of flop around and fizzle out instead of end. Not saying it's necessarily bad, just pointless.
>>
>>79532839
>see: the Sundance film festival, every single year, since its inception
>>
>>79532957
What exactly would've made each of these three films NOT pointless?
>>
I haven't seen the other two but if you think manchester's story is pointless you weren't paying attention
>>
More like the dawn of slice of life dramas.
>>
>>79532839
>dawn of pointlesskino
You mean the return of existentialist movies?

You retarded Millenials actually think you invented things lol
>>
terrible thread
>>
>>79532839
NA is literally about a roastie getting btfo. If thats not enough of point, i dont know what is.
>>
>>79532839
I bet you think every film should have a singular "message" or a certain universal "meaning" that you should "get".

Also I don't understand what is the corellation between those 3 films, they all have widely different narratives and dealt themes.
>>
You mean dramas?
Movies like those have existed since forever
>>
>>79533125
They all lack direction.
>>
>>79533149
post some movies that have direction, in your opinion
>>
Hows nocturnal animals?
I'm considering giving it a go because i love Jake Gyllenhal
>>
>>79533119
...how does she get "BTFO?" She's vaguely embarrassed in a restaurant when the guy she's supposed to meet doesn't show up? Or because she had to read a crappy book? If this movie was actually intended as a sort of "revenge fantasy," it fails even worse than I thought.
>>
File: salinui-chueok.jpg (154KB, 600x862px) Image search: [Google]
salinui-chueok.jpg
154KB, 600x862px
>>79533175
>>
>>79533199
Great, much better than most of the middlebrow faux-arthouse shit that Gyllenhal has made recently.
>>
>>79533199
Gyllenhaal is good, the whole cast is really. The script is really not fantastic, but not terrible either. It's an OK movie but don't get your hopes too high for something special
>>
>>79533199
Great story, but not executed quite well.
Gyllenhal and Adams are underused, Shannon and Johnson outshine them by a lot.

It is a decent movie and certainly not outright bad, but ultimately forgettable.
>>
Educate yourself, pleb.

>High-concept is a type of artistic work that can be easily pitched with a succinctly stated premise. It can be contrasted with low-concept, which is more concerned with character development and other subtleties that aren't as easily summarized.
>>
>>79533253
>>79533277
Alright i'll give it a go.
Thanks friends.
>>
The Nordics have been doing pointlesskino for years
>>
haven't seen moonlight, but the other two are far from directionless and pointless
are you new to movies? you seem a bit cinematically illiterate, keep watching more stuff and you'll get up to speed with the rest of us soon enough
>>
>>79533119
>literally about a roastie getting btfo
Oh no, she waited in that restaurant and he didn't came. Such devastation.
>>
>>79533253
Villeneuve films are arthouse in the same way Snyder's "capekinos" are classic masterpieces
>>
>>79533332
OP is looking for movies with clearly identifiable premises, morality tales with conclusive endings and the like
>>
>>79533149
I haven't seen Nocturnal Animals yet but the other two are pretty much flawless, they are more about emotion than about a specific conflict though. If aything I would say this is the new wave of empathy-kino
>>
>>79532839
are the other two movies as dull as moonlight?
>>
>>79533332
Manchester by The Sea ends with the main character in exactly the same place where he began. Nothing changed. Nothing developed. It's safe to assume that after the film ended he just continued on as he was until the day he died. Sure he showed some moments of weakness, and opened room for his nephew to be in his life, but nothing substantial. Pointlessness is in fact the feeling that was supposed to be conveyed as that is how the character felt, and the abrupt meaningless ending is just another way to amplify that. Thus, pointlesskino.
>>
File: large_Arrival-Poster-2016.jpg (52KB, 400x625px) Image search: [Google]
large_Arrival-Poster-2016.jpg
52KB, 400x625px
Yes
>>
>>79533429
Serious question: are you gay or a woman? I'm not saying you need to be either to feel emotional at films, but how you were affected by the "poor me" soap opera of Moonlight and the "oh gosh he's so depressed but real depressed not like you NEET virgins" self-pity of MbTS is beyond me.
>>
>>79533435
>he smiles for the first time in the movie after they fix the boat
>he had a breakdown after talking to his ex-wife, able to show emotion where he thought there was nothing left
>movie ends with Lee and Patrick having an intimate moment in an activity they hadn't done together for years
>nothing changed
>>
>>79533435
>Nothing changed. Nothing developed.
At this point I'm doubting that you've even seen the movie
>>
File: manly man.jpg (25KB, 477x316px) Image search: [Google]
manly man.jpg
25KB, 477x316px
>>79533505
>emotions are for faggots
>>
>>79533574
>>79533578
You do realize he goes back to Boston, right?
>>
>>79533505
I'm just not autistic

>real depressed not like you NEET virgins
I've never said anything like this, but case in point I guess
>>
>>79533435
So if the movie ended with a shot of him moving to Manchester that would make it "not pointless"?
You can't base your whole opinion of a movie based on a single sequence, google "peak-end" rule to find out how primitive your judgement is.

The entire film would be pointless if it ends up in a happy ending of all of them getting finally back together and continuing to live a normal life.
And the movie ends with him smiling for the first time in this "after tragedy" narrative as I recall.
If a movie isn't exactly punching you in the head with it's themes and messages, then you call it "pointless"

I bet you thought the ending ball throwing exchange was also just "pointless" right?
>>
File: 1067.png (144KB, 648x595px) Image search: [Google]
1067.png
144KB, 648x595px
>>79533574
>yeah, but I'm looking for one with an extra room
>>
>>79533429
nocturnal animals is awful
mbts is my #2 moty 2016 after toni erdmann
moonlight is also pretty good
>>
>>79533175
Up
>>
>>79533149
Haven't seen the other two but Manchester by the Sea seemed to move in a pretty clear direction. The dude finds some level of penance for something that was eating away at him for years. It doesn't end with him being completely healed but at the end of the movie he's a different man.

It's a character study with a clear arc.
>>
>>79533435
by the end of the movie he's willing to bond with his nephew, even though he admiteddly hasn't got the strength to let his past go
>>
>>79533681
>nocturnal animals is awful
why, exactly?
>>
>>79533655
No, it was a fairly obvious symbol for them trying to connect. But that doesn't make it not pointless. It's dull and uninteresting. Why should I care if they connect or not? The main character went through some trauma, and maybe one day he'll get over it but he'll still feel pain. They gave their best at conveying that feeling to the viewer with the cinematography and the realistic dialogue, I'll give them that, but I just don't care and I don't see why anyone would. It's a closed book. It isn't thought-provoking nor is it something I'm unfamiliar with.
>>
>>79533636
Yeah, and in the end of the movie he's back visiting Manchester-by-the-Sea.
>>
>>79533636
the whole movie is about how there's things that you can't overcome and how memories are unmercifuly tied to the places where they happened, the fact that he is back on boston is why the movie is brilliant, you are basically denying the main character of catharsis
>>
>>79533801
Also denying the viewer of catharsis, hence the pointlessness.
>>
>>79533801
>>79533844
>Character fishing with his nephew at the end of the movie
>Not cathartic
>>
>>79533884
Oh, so that was supposed to be cathartic? Guess I should have cared more about that dumb white trash kid with two retarded girlfriends.
>>
>>79533773
Why did you watch the movie at all, then? What were you hoping for? Start with the same premise and tell me how it COULD'VE been a good movie. Because I honestly thought it was pretty close to perfect.

I think the point of the movie was that there IS a point where his grief/trauma turns into self-pity. The whole situation with his nephew forces him to realize that if he's not going to kill himself, he will eventually have to come back to life and start acting like a person again. He's basically reborn as a whiny, petulant baby, and throughout the film we're watching him "grow up" again. He's not perfect by the end, but there's a pretty clear implication that his self-improvement will continue
>>
>>79533217
Did we watch the same movie? She's clearly distressed by the book.
>>
>>79533574
>>79533884
this two to be honest

>>79533801
this is correct except for the last part
>>
>>79533844
Are you now implying that No Country for Old Men is pointless too?

You are just killing yourself with your own arguments anon just stop
>>
>>79533762
it has some good performances from shannon and the psycho dude, but the storyline and tone of the movie is ultimately all over the place and inconsistent in tone
half of the time you're left wondering if you're watching a melodrama or some pulpy revenge flick
really underwhelming movie
>>
>>79533025
>Manchester by the Sea
This iz HARIBLE my kids died in a FIRE oh GAWD Fin.
>Moonlight
They're gay!They're Niggers! They're Gay Nigger! Fin.
>Nocturnal Animals
Havent seen and didn't even fucking know about it's existence till people on this board started crying about it.
>>
>>79533958
Yes, I noticed. The movie spent plenty of time showing her furrowing her brow, plunging herself underwater in a bathtub, and gushing about how "devastating" and "powerful" her ex-husband's bargain-bin thriller is

I still don't see how that qualifies as "revenge." You could say that the book shows her how badly she hurt his feelings, but that's not quite the same thing
>>
>>79533762
Not that anon, but here are some basic technical and general filmmaking flaws in it

>Amy and Jake are underutilised, Shannon and Johnson outshine them all (and it's certainly not because of Ford)
>Jake has an accent which he loses depending on the take (not the narrative)
>out of place bad editing between wide shots and close up's
>jarring color pallete difference between the two narratives that doesn't blend at all
>a lot of "I'm acting!" scenes and cheesy oneliners
>framing and composition of the landscapes felt like a film student trying to copy NCFOM landscapes
>all the night scenes have too bright obvious lighting like it's brightest moon in existence
>laughable phoneclip jump scare scene
>too on the nose symbolism with clues being literally spelled out in text form behind the characters

All these are meant between takes, not the two narratives. Except my color grading point, but I still stand by it.

The movie is filled with scenes where you "see" that it is an actor acting infront of a camera, just take a shot everytime Amy Adams character stops reading the book and looks at the ceiling all nervous and aggravated, you will be drunk halfway into the movie.

I don't think it's awful, but it's not something worth of praise either.
Quite apparent that Ford is first and foremost a fashion designer, not a film director.
>>
>>79534004
No, the ending to No Country was definitely cathartic because it reflected on what happened and brought the film back to earth to be relatable to the human condition. Manchester brought no such reflection as there was nothing to reflect upon, things just happened and moved on. It never left the earth, it always tried to be a very realistic film, which is alright in films like Tokyo Story when the realism is used to contrast itself by showing us the reality we don't want to confront, thus offering us catharsis. Again, Manchester doesn't really do that, like someone said it's a "character study" more than anything, which relies on the viewer being easily emotionally manipulated but doesn't offer much in terms of cinematic value.
>>
>>79534063
pure retardation
>>
>>79534063
go back to watching capeshit
>>
>>79534166
>but doesn't offer much in terms of cinematic value
do you watch one movie a year?
>>
>>79532839
You forgot

La La Land
Arrival
Green Room
Swiss Army Man
The VVitch
10 Cloverpleb Lane
>>
>>79534208
I don't judge films based on the time they were released. I could give a shit if a film is better than 99% of the films of the year it was released in when it doesn't even make the top 1000 films of all time.
>>
File: zbxAmnZr.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
zbxAmnZr.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
>>79534195Batman V Superman was a great movie.
If anyone needed any more confirmation that movie critics on the internet are out of touch with the general population, look at the scores of Sharknado, and then look at Batman V Superman.
Internet critics are basically Reddit lurkers. They have nothing real to say about piece of art other than how it fits into their own little worlds. They are the most spoiled part of the art community.
Critics used to serve a purpose, when there were only a few places to find art. But now there are so many opinions on the internet, a critics new job is to shit on things, opinions, and people for having differing opinions about those things.
What really sucks about this is that people who enjoy movies like Batman V Superman now have to argue its merit with the angriest, most jaded individuals on the net. Which can be fun, but there's not charity in how they argue. They listen, disregard, then say whatever they were going to in the first place.
To put it short, critics make it really hard to enjoy the act of liking a movie.
>>
File: 0469494.jpg (45KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
0469494.jpg
45KB, 540x720px
>>79532839
This trend started with There Will Be Blood
>>
Kino: Moonlight
Movie: Manchester by the Sea
Flick: Nocturnal Animals
>>
>>79534269
"no"
>>
>>79534071
It's obvious she hates her life and wants desperately to fugg Jake. When she started reading his book, she became obsessed with him/it, to the point she is filled with regret about the life she could have had if she hadn't fucked it up.

He really fucked her up psychologically, next stop for women her age is depression pills and the loony bin.
>>
>>79534273
Please, PLEASE tell me why Moonlight is kino. Because sometimes they slowed down close-up shots yet kept the words said at the original speed? Because when the bully picked someone to get knocked out the camera followed him as he circled around? Because there was a blue filter applied to the ending shot? Because of the abrupt cut to two black men cuddling? Please tell me, because to me it was just a waste of time.
>>
>>79534273
>Kino: Moonlight
only the third part was great
>>
>>79534332
shut up.
>>
>>79532839
That's actually pretty apt
>>
>>79534348
no u.
>>
>>79534332
reminder that it's not racism if its funny
>>
>>79534303
That's quite a stretch. Even if we go with your vision of her character's future, it was her own decisions that got her there. The most he'd be doing is to REMIND her that it was a bad decision. But if she really cared about him as much as you seem to think, she could've reached out to him at any point in the 20 years between the divorce and him sending her the book

It really seems like he was the one who was completely devastated about the whole thing. She mentions how sad it is that he never re-married

I honestly think you guys are way off in interpreting this whole thing as a power/revenge fantasy. How does his book end? He doesn't turn into a badass and track down his wife's killers. He tags along with the detective, and when the time actually comes to shoot the guy, he hesitates until the guy gets right in his face and cracks his head open. He dies alone in a field too brain-damaged to call for help. If that looks like a power fantasy to you, you need help
>>
>>79533217
She realizes she completely fucked up her entire life by making such a shit decision so many years ago
Had he never sent her that book she would have gone on living semi-unhappily with her cheating husband, but now she knows she completely fucked her entire life up and she'll never be as happy as she could have been with him
>>
>>79532839
All three movies were white people bullshit.
KANG level 0/10.
>>
>>79534499
>Moonlight
>white
>>
>>79534499
MoonLight is about black niggers in the hoog dgetoo
>>
>>79534455
They were both devastated, but she was a cunt that never realized what hit her until it was too late when she was reminded of it.
>>
>>79532839
All three have horrible posters
>>
File: 1482354856393.jpg (343KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482354856393.jpg
343KB, 1024x1024px
>>79534520
>>79534530
>faggotry
>black
Nice try, crackers.
>>
>>79534063
it must be hard watching movies about other people when you have autism
>>
>>79534520
>>79534530
congrats, you got memed on
>>
>>79534591
You know what, I think I'm just gonna let you have it. Your future ex-girlfriends are probably safer if you think "look what u coulda had bitch" makes a powerful revenge.
>>
>>79534606
you took the bait you stupid fuck
>>
File: Moonlightt.jpg (58KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
Moonlightt.jpg
58KB, 1920x808px
This ending convinced me it's up there with the greats. I don't know if it was my period or what but I cried SO much. Criterion release when?
>>
>>79533251
one of the best.
>>
>>79534631
at least I will have future ex girlfriends, nerd
>>
there are no pointless movies, just pointless people
>>
>>79534647
>cried SO much
underage detected
>>
>>79534647
>you just know he's jacking him offscreen
>>
File: moonlight.jpg (94KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
moonlight.jpg
94KB, 1920x808px
K I N O
>>
>>79534666
Devastating and powerful
>>
>>79534705
DISHONEST.
>>
File: 1487340314221.jpg (2MB, 2415x2494px) Image search: [Google]
1487340314221.jpg
2MB, 2415x2494px
>>79534332
Kek
>>
File: Nocturnal Animals.jpg (153KB, 1920x792px) Image search: [Google]
Nocturnal Animals.jpg
153KB, 1920x792px
T H I C C
>>
>>79534332
that's not what "finna" means you fucking retard
>>
>>79534877
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>79534899
chocolate american alert
>>
>>79534877
damn michael shannon looks like that etc.
>>
>>79534899
it's a pasta so it's not as if that anon even cares
>>
>>79534455
>I honestly think you guys are way off in interpreting this whole thing as a power/revenge fantasy

The symbolism was so heavy handed that Im 100% certain you have extra chromosomes for saying what you just said.
>>
>>79534647
>period
B L A C K E D
L
A
C
K
E
D
>>
>>79534979
>“We can express our feelings regarding the world around us either by poetic or by descriptive means. I prefer to express myself metaphorically. Let me stress: metaphorically, not symbolically. A symbol contains within itself a definite meaning, certain intellectual formula, while metaphor is an image. An image possessing the same distinguishing features as the world it represents. An image — as opposed to a symbol — is indefinite in meaning. One cannot speak of the infinite world by applying tools that are definite and finite. We can analyse the formula that constitutes a symbol, while metaphor is a being-within-itself, it's a monomial. It falls apart at any attempt of touching it.”
>>
>>79534431
so that is 100% racist then?
>>
>>79532839
8.3/10 Best New Bait OP.
>>
File: RAPED.jpg (68KB, 644x959px) Image search: [Google]
RAPED.jpg
68KB, 644x959px
>>79534604
um blacks evolved to enjoy it....
>>
muh DICC
>>
>>79534979
I'm convinced I saw a different movie from everyone else, at this point. How does any of this end up looking like "power" or "revenge?" The entire story-within-a-story hinges on Jake's total inability to take action when faced with a threat. That personality trait gets him brutally killed in the end.

In the "real world" of the story, he stands her up at a restaurant. But it's not like he tricks her into leaving her husband or anything major like that, he just says "hey I'd like to see you while I'm in town" and then he doesn't see her. Kinda disappointing for her, I'm sure, but... not that big of a deal.

Maybe she is really torn up about leaving him, but her life is exactly the same as it was at the beginning of the film, and the primary trait of Jake's character is weakness, both in the fiction and the "reality."

It's not even clear that he stood her up as a "punishment," it's entirely possible that he got too nervous to see her again and chickened out
>>
>>79532839
Yup
>>
>>79535131
>The entire story-within-a-story hinges on Jake's total inability to take action when faced with a threat.

Are you stupid? He was outnumbered and did not stand a chance.
>>
>>79535125

DAMN.
>>
>>79534705
DUDE
GAY
BLACK
GHETTO
LIFE
LAMO
>>
>>79535131
>It's not even clear that he stood her up as a "punishment," it's entirely possible that he got too nervous to see her again and chickened out
I don't get why so many people seem to miss that. It's not like Jake's IRL character is even aware of what's happening.
You're still a fag though.
>>
>>79535193
Even when he had a loaded gun, Kick-Ass didn't, and Kick-Ass literally said "Yes, I raped and murdered them, I think you should just kill me" and he still waited until the guy came close enough to hit him in the head?

seriously where the fuck is the "empowerment/revenge" in any of this? If anything the main theme of this movie is his inadequacy
>>
>>79535340
What about the giant painting in the museum?

What about the parallells between the stories:

Guy's wife and daughter killed, gets "revenge"

Guy loses wife and child gets "revenge"

Its so simple. Did you watch a chinese bootleg or something?
>>
File: 1396011522064.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1396011522064.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
>>79532839
I haven't seen the other two, but Manchester by the Sea isn't pointless. It's Emotional Porn.
>>
>>79535131
>That personality trait gets him brutally killed in the end

He shot himself in the stomache after finally killing the last of the three that killed his family.

>Maybe she is really torn up about leaving him, but her life is exactly the same as it was at the beginning of the film

Yes. He makes her think that her life is going to turn around by sending her the manuscript with obvious references to their relationship tied into the story ("weak" male character, red haired wife). He even dedicates the book to her. In the eyes of a desperate person (Amy adams) these can be seen as romantic gestures.

You are taking everything in the movie at surface level. Which is bizarre as the movie is about as deep as a bowl of water. Still you cant see the bottom.
>>
File: 1464252177954.jpg (53KB, 474x595px) Image search: [Google]
1464252177954.jpg
53KB, 474x595px
>>79534332
>>
>>79535703
>He shot himself in the stomache after finally killing the last of the three that killed his family.
...is it possible that I really did see a different cut of the movie than others did?
>He's got a gun on Kick-Ass for the whole scene, but allows him to get very close to him anyway
>He shoots Kick-Ass, but Kick-Ass cracks him in the head with a fireplace poker before he collapses
>Jake wakes up with his skull split open, sees Kick-Ass dead on the floor
>Crawls outside and tries to call for help, his voice is so weak nobody can hear him, he collapses and (presumably) dies
>End of the "novel"
That's what I saw. They're clearly trying to make a point that he could, and should, have fired the gun much sooner. Kick-Ass repeatedly calls attention to this and calls him a coward.
>>
>>79532839
/pol/ get out
>>
>>79536189
What the fuck does this have to do with /pol/ you moron?
>>
>>79536206
/b/ get out
>>
File: 234.png (1MB, 1920x834px) Image search: [Google]
234.png
1MB, 1920x834px
>>79535125
Janelle looked fuckin fine in this

I didn't know her rack was so good after all those years in suits and shit
>>
>>79535413
Whats the rundown on the Chinese Bootleg?
>>
>>79536365
chinese bootleg remoevs all american filth like dancing fattie
>>
File: 1387129468802.png (314KB, 469x474px)
1387129468802.png
314KB, 469x474px
>>79534063
>>
Moonlight: 8/10
MbtS: 9/10
Nocturnal Emission: 2/10
>>
>>79535413
I understood that it was set up as a revenge movie. We're meant to think he's going to get justice for his wife/daughter's murders, and we're meant to think that real-life Jake is planning some sort of revenge against Amy Adams. But neither of those things actually come to happen. Jake stops short of taking action, every single time, and I thought that was kind of the whole point of the movie. It's about the kind of guy who FANTASIZES about revenge, but can't bring himself to go through with it.
>>
>>79536469
both real life and fictional Jake take revenge. did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>79534348
>>79534899
>>79535076
Niggers please get out of this board and don't steal anything on your way out.
>>
>>79536426
>Nocturnal Emission: 2/10
commit suicide you plebian
>>
>>79536887
nocturnal animals is pleb bait
watch more movies
>>
>>79532957
Nocturnal animals didn't fizzle out in the end you pleb.
>>
>>79536691
There's no revenge. It's set up like a revenge movie, but the revenge part never comes, because the main character is a pussy. That was the whole point. They lay it on very thick.

The cop played by Michael Shannon literally set everything up for fictional Jake's revenge, but he couldn't pull the trigger and let them both run away. He had a second opportunity to kill the ringleader of the gang, and he hesitated until it was too late and he got killed too.

If "real" Jake wanted revenge against Amy Adams, he could've actually made it count. But again, it's all buildup and the catharsis never comes. I don't think the ending scene was even meant to be "the ultimate punishment" for her, I think it was another example of Jake chickening out at the last minute. Think about it, it's not even set up like a proper "date," he just says "I want to see you again while I'm in town." You really think she's gonna be completely destroyed just because he didn't show up for that? He could've shown up to the restaurant and told her off, or he could've led her on a little more to wreck things with her current husband. He didn't do either of those things

Other characters are constantly observing and judging his weakness, both the real-life and the fictional versions. You guys are just fucking with me, right? How could you watch this movie and see "badass Jake gets revenge on everyone?"
>>
>>79537211
He had his revenge.

Fictional Jake killed the guy that raped his wife and daughter but died along in the process. This is real Jake making a point: in his search for masculinity and "stopping being weak" he was actually destroyed

Real Jake led Adams on with his story and made her feel extreme remorse for dumping him. When she was ready to give him a second chance, he left her by herself on a restaurant.

>You really think she's gonna be completely destroyed just because he didn't show up for that?
Yes, I do. Didn't you see how fucking moved she was by the story? That probably killed her inside

It's amazing how such a simple movie can be misunderstood
>>
>>79537368
>Yes, I do. Didn't you see how fucking moved she was by the story? That probably killed her inside
If this was the intention, then it's just a really bad movie... this is the kind of "drama" that only appeals to people who haven't experienced much of life yet, when it's still plausible that a minor disappointment like this would be a life-ruiner

She kind of regrets dumping him and wonders what might've happened if she didn't. She's not thrilled with her current marriage. Both of those things were already true at the beginning of the movie

Fictional Jake blows every chance for revenge against his wife's killers. When he actually pulls the trigger it's self-defense, and even then, too late to defend himself
>>
File: 1486944127892a.jpg (129KB, 445x489px) Image search: [Google]
1486944127892a.jpg
129KB, 445x489px
>>79534075

Copypasta.
>>
>>79537476
Dude, everything in the movie points to her dissatisfaction with her current life: lavish but ultimately vain lifestyle, vain friends, a Chad husband cucking her. Her life wasn't fulfilling. She already felt remorse before reading the story. That was only the last straw that threw her into complete emotional turmoil.

>If this was the intention, then it's just a really bad movie
It's a pretty mediocre movie, imo.

>Fictional Jake blows every chance for revenge against his wife's killers. When he actually pulls the trigger it's self-defense, and even then, too late to defend himself
Yes, because ultimately he's still a weak man, just like Amy's mother told her. Just like Amy ultimately told him. That's the point
>>
File: 1450062127019.webm (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1450062127019.webm
3MB, 500x281px
>>79537476
>this is the kind of "drama" that only appeals to people who haven't experienced much of life yet
>>
File: 2001-Space-Odyssey_68.jpg (302KB, 1049x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2001-Space-Odyssey_68.jpg
302KB, 1049x1500px
>>79532839
It has been a thing for 50 years now, m8
>>
>>79533175
>>79533685
Gravity

(but it's relative)
>>
>>79534063

imagine being this retarded
>>
>>79537633
>Yes, because ultimately he's still a weak man, just like Amy's mother told her.
You have to remember that this is Jake writing about himself. Susan is the typical capricious woman, loves ideals and romance but can't actually live through with them, so she dumped Jake for the same reason she loved him. After being left by her and, by his perception, having his child killed by her, he resolved that to figuratively kill himself, his weak sensitive self, and be someone else, in the process killing the Susan of the past who was enamored with the idea of going back in time and having an affair with a sensitive guy even though she divorced him and killed his child. His absence in the last scene not only emphasizes his own symbolical death, it also sets the stage for the rest of Susan's life- empty and vain, without the sensitivity and weakness she tossed aside, that being Jake's final revenge.
>>
Bait
>>
Calling Manchester By The Sea pointless is the easiest way to identify a pleb.
>>
>>79534330
sounds like you lack empathy, and watching anything would be a waste of your time
>>
>>79532839
it's called character study, you nigger
>>
>>79532839
Judging obvious character pieces as bad for not having an overarching plot just outs you as a retard, man
>>
>>79532839
Moonlight isn't "pointlesskino", it's "understand why this character acts like the way he does and ends up becoming who he is" kino
>>
>>79535125
>nigress
>>
>>79540139
The problem is that these kinds of films never establish why the audience should care.

Give me a reason to care about understanding the character.

These films are boring as hell because they pretentiously assume they don't need to offer a reason for existing. I may as well make a film about my average daily life.
>>
>>79540344

Stick to capeshit.
>>
>>79540432
I hate capeshit. Drama films are great, but they have to give me a reason to care.
>>
>>79540344
My point exactly. I read a post a few days ago that said "Maybe it my period but Manchester By The Sea made me cry" and that succinctly made it clear to me why these films are praised. Don't get me wrong, I thought they both had good cinematography and performances, particularly MBTS had very impressive writing, but there just wasn't a drive to any of what it said. The only type of character studies or character driven films I like are about actually thought-provoking types of people such as the mentally ill or serial killers.
>>
>>79540451
Stick to Star Wars.
>>
>>79540456
>The only type of character studies or character driven films I like are about actually thought-provoking types of people such as the mentally ill or serial killers.

Exactly. Because they have some kind of interest or unique element to them.

There is literally no point in watching a film about average people doing average things. I'd rather spend 2 hours living my own life than watch the cinematic equivalent of a potted plant.

Manchester by the Sea is the film equivalent of a Kincaid painting. Looks nice, good execution, but completely vacuous.

>>79540505
Keep trying.
>>
>>79540558
Stick to blockbusters
>>
>>79540505
You don't have to like every film that your prof tells you to like. A good story has two things, interesting characters in interesting situations. The films in OP have neither of those things.
>>
>>79540670
>watching films for the story
haha
>>
>>79540344
Because he's a realistic character like you or me who, in a very broad sense, goes through the same struggles and events in life like we do, so we can connect with him and understand him on some level. But the details are not the same as ours so they aren't an exact replay of our "average daily life". It's the same conflict and events of our lives through the perspective of someone different.

I think it's far worse for a movie to try contriving a "reason" for us to get to care about someone instead of making us naturally care because we can empathize and relate with them. "Look, this character has a family, you're supposed to care about him now!" is a far more amateur and oscarbaity approach to me than simply showing how someone grew up, how they were influenced by the people around them and the environment they were raised in, and getting us to understand why they behave the way they do and end up the way they are because that fictional character could have very well been a real person. The idea that something "needs a reason to exist" comes off as silly and draconian to me, I don't understand why we need to have arbitrary rules to decide who can make what and why. It's art, in the end of the day it's just people expressing themselves.
>>
>>79533041
Both Manchester and Nocturnal Animals definitely weren't pointless. I have no interest in watching degenerate nigger movies so I don't know about Moonlight.
>>
>>79533217
She's miserable and she knows she fucked everything up. Meeting Edward and reconnecting with Edward was her one way out and he was just toying with her.
>>
>>79540344
>Give me a reason to care about understanding the character.
because you are watching the movie
>>
>it's pointless because there's no capes and 200 million dollar special effects
>>
>>79540841
Do you care about every stranger you see crossing the street?
>>
File: 07541c9f26ab154e.jpg (85KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
07541c9f26ab154e.jpg
85KB, 500x500px
>>79534705
honestly what's the deal with this movie
imagine this shit with an heterosexual couple
it gets fucking nothing, nobody would watch it
getting over how gay the movie is
there's nothing, fucking nothing
5 lines long script, and no substance, not a good romance, nothing memorable, no good characters, no good music

you get gay nigga
and autistic gay nigga
and that's it
this movie dindu nuffin

fuck this shit, was a waste of time
>>
>>79532907
First Post Worst Post

https://newrepublic.com/article/77842/tourist-in-the-city-youth

If you're 'smart' enough to enjoy the three movies in the OP then surely you've got the mental fortitude to make it to the end of an eight page essay on the topic of art. Pauline Kael deserves more recognition for her work.
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.