[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of dishonesty is this? Kids watch this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: lalaland_hero.jpg (253KB, 2000x800px) Image search: [Google]
lalaland_hero.jpg
253KB, 2000x800px
What kind of dishonesty is this? Kids watch this
>>
>>79502697
I'm starting to think that most people here are too young to get the movie.
>>
>>79502697
>dishonest
Is this meme still going? I thought it was outstripped by taxposting as far as retarded forced maymays go.
>>
File: 1484175472183.jpg (13KB, 297x396px) Image search: [Google]
1484175472183.jpg
13KB, 297x396px
>dishonest
>>
>>79502772
It's a valid criticism of many modern "prestige" pictures.
>>
>>79502697
why does ryan gosling looks like he's always about to burst out laughing
>>
>Prisoners
>There Will Be Blood
>The Revenant

Anybody got any other essential Dishonest-core?
>>
>>79502697
he should portray keith haring in a film now that i think about it
>>
>>79502837
So just a synonym for pretentious? What exactly is dishonest about La La Land, other than le "follow your dreams and it'll all work out in the end even if you don't work hard at it but you're white and have wealthy parents" story. "Dishonest" to me implies the director has bad intentions, as if they are concealing something from you by telling the story they did they way they did. I don't understand that.
>>
>>79503140
>"follow your dreams and it'll all work out in the end even if you don't work hard at it but you're white and have wealthy parents"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Isn't that one of the really honest parts of the movie?

I mean, I think the movie was VERY much aware of how much privilege lent towards the ability of these people to live these pipe dreams. It seemed quite deliberate to me that it was suggesting that the kinds of dream these people had were, in fact, a luxury and a product of having so much ample free time to develop interest in such frivolous undertakings.
>>
File: 1483324614884.jpg (1MB, 1586x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1483324614884.jpg
1MB, 1586x2862px
>>79502772
>>79502812
>>79503140
Lie Lie Land is a live-action Disney movie. Except Disney movies have better soundtracks, characters, and the struggles faced by those characters aren't fucking retarded. Hollywood hasn't put out a movie this self-masturbatory since The Artist. It is honestly unbelievable how shallow this garbage is.

>dude just follow ur dreams no matter how delusional lmao

The movie justifies this idiotic moral by having the characters achieve their insipid dreams through luck and happenstance rather than hard work. Mia shits out a single one-woman show and does one performance of it; of the 8 people in the crowd, one is a casting agent who falls in love with her and delivers her an A-list acting career on a silver platter. Seb's friend bumps into him, and immediately offers him a job. Following that, despite the decline of jazz in LA and having no experience running a business, Seb ends up owning a hugely successful jazz club. I am sure it is very easy to romanticize succeeding in Hollywood through dumb luck when the people making the film did just that.Many of the scenes in the film were homages, but it doesn't justify them. The overlong scenes of Seb and Mia dancing against romantic backgrounds get old very quickly, and just hammer home the fact that there is no substance to this film. It is also surprising that the relationship at the core of this film only came about due to coincidence; these two run into each other 3 times for no reason other than convenience for the writer.

Chazelle obviously has the self-awareness to realize how saccharine and empty the movie was. In order to make it seem like something other than a sugary bowl of sunshine, he attempts to give it a "bittersweet" ending, but he even fails here -- both characters get everything they wanted out of life.

>b-but they don't end up together, they were meant for each other

You have to be a teen girl to even consider this line of thinking.

3.5/10 - at least it looked good
>>
>>79502879
>Birdman
>Argo
>The Artist
>Spotlight
>Crash
>>
>>79503375
You understand that L.A./Hollywood has been essentially a cultural assembly line for fantasies and unwarranted expectations of reality since its very inception, right? The movie is being very open about critiquing the Hollywood dream machine, and one of the ways it's doing it is through the dubious plausibility of the very scenario it's posing.

I mean, the opening song is literally a bunch of people singing about following their dreams of seeing their names in lights and dropping it all to move out to sunny L.A., yet they're doing it in the very gridlock that L.A. is notorious for.

It's a dialogue on fantasy vs. reality. It's not supposed to be 100% realistic, just have elements of realism along with elements of fantasy. That's exactly why the dreams that Hollywood has been planting into the minds of the world for 100 years have persisted; they're made to look just possible enough that it's worth believing them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.