[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arrival is the best sci-fi of all time confirmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 24

File: 21357254.jpg (246KB, 1281x2000px) Image search: [Google]
21357254.jpg
246KB, 1281x2000px
Welp, it's confirmed. Arrival is the greatest kino of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z18LY6NME1s

Why haven't you seen this masterpiece of cinema yet?
>>
I have. It's literally the best science fiction film in 15 years.

The contrarians here will never tell you that though.
>>
>>79490414
I didn't quite get how some things in the ending tied together but it was better than lots of shit the last few years that's for sure. Like gravity and interstellar.
>>
>>79490385
>from the director of sicario
is it pirateable yet?
>>
it's shit
>>
its good on the outside, but lacks depth, explanation, and immersion
its also very unmemorable

why 12 ships across the world when they see the future and know the girl is mary sue?
how did the chinese guy draw the conclusion that he had to say his wifes last words and show his phone number to the girl?
>wew chap, we need your help in 3 gorillion years because our language allows us to see the future but we cant do shit about it
why was the other alien killed?
literally a zillion questions were opened but left unanswered

oscar bait/10
>>
I hate this youtuber(you) with all myself. Just wanted to let you know, shill. Is nice to talk about thing after all the other dudes in the world has talked about it already.
>>
>>79490904
>science fiction film
>calling it oscar bait

come on try harder you fucking idiot
>>
>>79490385
Its not good movie and you know it op.
But have it your way Im not in the mood of arguing with newfags.
>>
potato-fi
it is like sci-fi but for stupid people
>>
>>79492534
Can we stop acting like it's 100% science fiction? It's about 70% crappy human melodrama. I hate that a quasi-deep movie like this is getting so much praise just because it's not as dumb as other alien movies.
>>
>>79492534
>not answer his questions
>>
>>79490385
This movies was sucks.
>>
>>79490904
yeah it is shitty, it is not for people who can think
lots of people were happy that they understood it and thought it was cool
but it is worse than interstellar, at least it had better visuals
this shit only had banana ship
>>
>>79490904
these days people confuse "good" and "not shitty". Arrival was not a piece of shit but it wasn't special.
>>
>>79490904
This is how you spot autistic millennials. Just look at how hard they try to feign legitimate criticism while mindlessly nitpicking irrelevant details.
>>
>>79492585
>it's not as dumb as other alien movies
It's dumber, because it's the same idiotic premise but with no action scenes.
>>
>>79492585
it is just dr who level bullshit fantasy, there was no science other than the linguistic part but it went down the drain near the end
>>
>>79492668
what's illegitimate about that anon's criticism? The movie leaves a lot of unanswered questions and lacks any real depth. The cinematography was fine, the writing was fine. But the movie wasn't good
>>
>>79490904
>why 12 ships across the world when they see the future and know the girl is mary sue?
did you watch the fucking film? to force the world to unite

>how did the chinese guy draw the conclusion that he had to say his wifes last words and show his phone number to the girl?
he had suberged hmself in the language like her
so while he couldn't see time non-linearly, the effect of the immersion had began to affect him and cause his brain to get a shift

it upsets me how everyone criticises the film as shit and then goes on to elaborate with questions that were clearly answered
>>
>>79492702

>>79492696
Careful not to insult the movie, else you'd be called a mindless idiot who only likes explosions and action.
I fucking hate when people pull that shit
>>
>>79490385
"Video essays" are garbage and glorified vlogs, fuck the pseudo critics and failed filmmakers that make these types of videos.
Great movie tho.
>>
>>79492668
>autistic
why do angry teens use this word whenever someone says something they don't like.
>>
why are sci-fi nerds so obsessed with looking smart?
>>
File: 1480257276007.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1480257276007.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>79492629
nooo! the movies was is epic for the win!! but no esplosion!! that for plebs!! me inteligence very hight, mathematics science love!! movie only for smart person-yes I'm cinephile. Villeneuve art-house VISUAL cinema, NOT mainstream for everyone! only 200 million doller! Intresteler 600 milion! Basically obscure for cinephile like me!!!
;
>>
>>79492797
I hate that shit too
But every criticism shows clear misunderstanding of the film , save people claiming the dialogue was bad (which I dsagree with but whatever)
>>
>>79492646
>it is not for people who can think
no indeed, there's nothing to understand in this film, really
any form of opinions surrounding, or understanding of the characters, the plot, etc. is spoon-fed to the audience throughout the film, its more subtle than what you'd find in, say, marvel, but its still there to be perceived without any form of effort required from the audience
>>
>>79492772
>did you watch the fucking film? to force the world to unite
not an answer
>he had suberged hmself in the language like her
it is a bullshit explanation but I guess it is consistent bullshit
>>
>>79492855
>but its still there to be perceived without any form of effort required from the audience
If it's so easy, then why do people constantly get it wrong, making such claims like Amy Adams traveled through time?
>>
>>79492834
I disagree with the spaceship post too. I understood the movie well, I just didn't like it. It should've been longer and went deeper into the aliens, the world governments debating what to do and communications. Not a boring main character and that hawkeye asshole whose role was basically a sperm donor who quips.
>>
>>79492747
You don't get cred points for disliking movies on the internet, kid. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>79492864
>an answer isn't an answer if it's because I clearly wan't fucking paying attention
>explanations are bullshit and stupid like this film
great job fagtron, you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
The only part I hated was how rushed everything past "Abbot death process" was.
>>
>>79492822
They're legitimately on the spectrum.
>>
>>79492899
>did you watch the fucking film? to force the world to unite
it was clearly a question not an answer
>>
>>79492878
I dont know why you were expecting more exposition and regular cheesy sci fi stuff from the guy that made Enemy and Sicario.
>>
To all the people who hate it, what do you consider great sci-fi movies?
>>
>>79490385
literally best fiction film of last 25 years
>>
>>79492982
but this was not a sci-fi movie, what is your point?
>>
File: r u retarded.png (134KB, 303x332px) Image search: [Google]
r u retarded.png
134KB, 303x332px
>>79492970
>"to force the world to unite" is a question
>>
>>79493001
answer the question
>>
>>79493001
What is your definition of a sci-fi movie and why does the arrival not quality?
>>
>>79490904
>why was the other alien killed?

Because a bunch of C4 exploded inside the ship
>>
>>79493036
*qualify
>>
>>79493036
>Sci-fi
>Anything that arbitrarily tries to copy 2001 and/or is partially or wholly set in space
>>
>>79490385
I love science fiction, and I appreciate the scientific accuracy, but I thought it was kind of dull.
>>
>>79493021
still not an answer
>>
>>79492646
the film isn't a puzzle or a mystery. simply because the protagonists are attempting to solve a problem isn't the same as viewers trying to solve the problem with given clues, like mysteries. i believe this is what is confusing people. it's not a difficult film to understand as there are no hidden, subtle or missing pieces here. there are ideas that general viewing audiences probably aren't familiar with, though, and that's also with some of the posters here. sometimes a little thought is necessary while and after viewing this sort of film.
>>
>>79492979
That's the thing- I wasn't expecting any of those. I was expecting something more political, in a sense. And more questions about humanity and how we'd handle a situation like aliens just showing up.
They did that, but in a bullshit Terrence Malick way with uninteresting characters. The best parts of the movie was pretty much everything before we find out what the alien's intentions were. After that it turned into what felt like a pretentious shot film. It just stopped being something new and turned into something played out.
>>
>>79493080
if you're a retard, sure
>>
>>79493061
2001 is the biggest pile of garbage hollywood produces though
pseudo-intellectual pretentious trash
>>
i wonder if vilneuveue by any chanse knows about tarkansky
>>
>>79493109
are you drunk?
>>
>/tv/eddit loves capeshit
>/tv/eddit hates Arrival
This is why noone will treat you and your tryhard contrarian opinions seriously.

Only a drooling teenager would think that criticism relies on hating what's popular.
>>
if aliens can see the future why didn't they come earlier and infiltrate governments
>>
>>79493131
I'm on the phone
>>
>>79493131
Tarkansky, the legendary Rischian filmmer who shot intellectally challenge films
>>
>>79493145
are you retarded?
/tv/ hates all
>>
File: 1437768987939.png (464KB, 635x1951px) Image search: [Google]
1437768987939.png
464KB, 635x1951px
>>79493167
>intellectally challenge films
ДUДE LONG SHOT LMAO
>>
>>79493090
>the film isn't a puzzle or a mystery. simply because the protagonists are attempting to solve a problem isn't the same as viewers trying to solve the problem with given clues,

Maybe, but the film did an excellent job of creating an experience for the viewer that mirrors the experience of amy adams character. Both of you learn about the language at the same pace. When amy finally has her eureka moment, so does the audience with respect to the structure of the film.
>>
>>79490385
>of all time.

The bait is just a tad bit obvious.
>>
Literally r e d d i t the video essayist
Pseudo profound and with a massive ego despite being incredibly bland and only ever staying on the surface of things, always PC because he needs his literal gold, can't help but show his face because he loves the attention instead of wanting his audience to only focus on arguments, only tackle subjects that are trendy, very shallow and plebeian taste, rejects anything genuinely approaching subversive qualities
He's so painfully obnoxious and full of himself despite never saying anything new or interesting fuck him and fuck Denis Villeneuve, enemy of cinema, pure dishonest filmmaking and literally r e d d i t aesthetics
>>
>>79493145
>tv/eddit loves capeshit

so they love arrival then where's the problem?
>>
>>79493226
hue
>>
>>79493155
kys phoney
>>
>>79493058
why werent the other alien killed though?
>>
>>79493281
he saw how the bomb would explode and shoved the other to the front
>>
>>79493281
I dunno, why weren't you miscarried before birth?
>>
>>79492982
Zemeckis' Contact, Cameron's Abyss, Spielberg's Close Encounters are all much better examples of "first contact" type films, which actually show sincere love for the scifi genre, embracing pulpy aspects yet still being fascinated with real science, but always offering audiences with a respectfully entertaining spectacle, without ever showing signs of smugness or contempt unlike Villeneuve.

Arrival is scifi for people who don't like scifi made by someone who doesn't like scifi, just like Sicario or Prisoners were crime thrillers, for people who don't like crime thrillers, made by someone who doesn't like said genre. If you love scifi you should weep that this hack is in charge of Blade Runner and Dune next.
>>
Eurotime /tv/ is truly the fucking worst.
>>
>>79493199
indeed. two separate mysteries. one for the protagonist, another for the audience. great job by Villaneuve and co. in creating an entertaining and thrilling film.
>>
>>79493344
>all jews
hmmm
>>
>>79493344
>every film has to be made a certain way, adhering to certain tropes
>films that look at a subject matter in a new way are shit
Wanna know how I know you're a pleb?
>>
>>79493346
because of the drunk americans?
>>
>>79493344
spoken like a true pleb
>>
>>79493090
>>79493199
>>79493363
I like shill posters
>>
>>79493374
more like the americans who should be at work, but are instead neets posting from their mum's basements
>>
I really hate the way Nerdwriter talks. He talks like he's shitting some giant turds. Feeling a bit devastated and pleased with himself and his effort after proudly observing the results
>>
>>79493374
because of the dr who and harry potter fans who wander outside their autism containment threads.
>>
>>79493374
*drunk american NEETs
>>
Even Predestination was better.
This is only good for mindless plebs who are baited by whatever shows on the Oscars.
>>
>>79493418
>>79493434
truly the thinking man's crowd
>>
File: 1487126541739.png (255KB, 499x513px) Image search: [Google]
1487126541739.png
255KB, 499x513px
>>79493411
>wanting to talk about a good film must mean I am a shill

I miss the days of glau posting and foot fags, at least the discussion was better then what exists now.
>>
>>79493374
There isn't a single clapistan ITT, you fucking idiot. And it shows.
>>
This movie was like 2001 but for stupid people
>>
>>79493365
His father was Lithuanian American and his mother was Italian.[5] Zemeckis grew up on the south side of the city.[7] He attended a Roman Catholic grade school and Fenger Academy High School.[8]

Cameron was born in 1954 in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, the son of Shirley (née Lowe), an artist and nurse, and Phillip Cameron, an electrical engineer.[18][19] His paternal great-great-great-grandfather emigrated from Balquhidder, Scotland, in 1825.[18]

Only Jews here is Spielberg, and it's actually thematically relevant because his first contact film is filled with analogies about Moses and Mount Sinai

>>79493395
Scifi is a pleb genre
>b-but muh Solyaris
Even Tarkovsky hated working on the film and wasn't happy with it, it's a fucking bore
>>
>>79493451
Predestination is brilliant
>be intersex orphan
>grow up as woman and get impregnated by hot older guy
>have kid stolen
>travel through time
>get sex change and decide to be a guy
>hunt down crazy bomber in the future
>chat up some hot girl
>realise she's you in the past
>impregnate yourelf
>steal kid from yourself
>realise that the kid is actually you
>drop it off at an orphanage
>go find the bomber
>discover that the bomber is also you
>shit
>>
>>79493492
sorry mr american
>>
>>79493472
>good film
really?
>>
>>79493535
More like 2001 except lazily made.

The have the same plot when you boil it down. Aliens guiding and testing humans. Except 2001 was a LARRRRGE story with a ton of great visuals and meaning. Arrival is neither, yet they're basically the same plot.
>>
File: B_NyLKKmFUk.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
B_NyLKKmFUk.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>79490385

Are you nuts? The only good thing about this shit is the concept of alien language and ginger princess acting. That's it. Villeneuve is a hack.
>>
>>79493570
shitty plot aside it was pretty entertaining
>>
>>79493570
This was the most predictable movie ever.

>Oh look, the protagonist is every single character!

I still enjoyed it though, but I thought Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel was better for example.
>>
>>79493553
I don't care about cyka slavs sorry
>>
>>79493635
or time lapse
>>
>>79490385
better than Oblivion for sure
>>
File: 1486775941467.jpg (75KB, 582x960px) Image search: [Google]
1486775941467.jpg
75KB, 582x960px
> vilnOOOV

Jesus can americans pronounce anything correctly. this faggot blowhard...
>>
>>79493680
ironically it is a very forgettable movie
>>
>>79490385
I thought it was rather dull. Even the colors were fucking dull. The aliens were mysterious, but not especially interesting; the most intriguing thing was their language, and the whole point of the movie was to remove that intrigue in painstaking detail. The only parts that really stuck out were the ones where Adams starts to have hallucinations, showing that the language is directly affecting her mind. The "unite the world" thing only peaked my interest when everyone decided to turn off their feeds; aside from that, it was extremely pro-American aside from the conservative soldiers, like pretty much everything Hollywood offers. The movie was good at what it did, but that doesn't make it a good movie. I also thought the designs of the aliens themselves was rather lazy, as they were just squids, although the ship design was somewhat interesting.

It's nice to see Hollywood taking some steps in the right direction, but it has a long way to go before impressing veteran science fiction fans.

>>79490414
How quickly we forget Moon.
>>
>>79493788
moon was boring and predictable and cheap in a bad way
>>
>>79493858
Fuck off.
>>
>>79493680
The plot was the most predictable thing in the whole world, on top of being stupid (why would they not go to Europa or Enceladus, to get water, there's more of it, it isn't defended, and it's higher in the system's gravity well, so it's cheaper to get in the grand scheme of things, for one thing), but the sound design was really cool, as well as the mechanical design.

Overall I liked it.
>>
>>79493945
kys phonefag
>>
>>79494016
>phonefag

retard
>>
>>79494076
yes you are
>>
>>79493220
funny that you can't actually criticize any of the content of his analyses yet you call him "pseudo profound".

that's what you might call a "pseudo critcism."
>>
>>79490385
I very liked 2/3 of the film, but then they decidied to fuck with time, like in Interstellar. But at least 5d-time library inside the blackhole in Interstellar was ridiculously funny.
>>
>>79494167
ironic shitposting is still shitposting, anon
>>
^thanks for (you)s, pleb
>>
>>79494197
so even more shitty flick was better because it was so bad it was funny?
kk got it
>>
i loved the "effective communication as a means to prevent unnecessary conflict" theme presented, but apart from that, Arrival isn't what everyone says it is.

Atemporality isn't human, it's not relatable. it's a vsauce jimmy neutron nolan dubstep minecraft youtuber concept that might make you say 'whoa' the same way that a paradox or optical illusion would, but for me, it broke off the connection i felt to the characters and their stakes in the story. it's a panacea, and i'd call it lazy writing if i thought villeneuve wasn't convinced that it was genuinely thought-provoking.
>>
>>79494326
>it's a vsauce jimmy neutron nolan dubstep minecraft youtuber concept that might make you say 'whoa' the same way that a paradox or optical illusion would

the term you're looking for is "sci-fi", kiddo. time travel has been a staple of sci-fi for decades. don't be so dense as to think this is something new.
>>
>>79490385
SHIT, I was just about to post that

But whether you're trolling or not, OP, that video truly is the most perfect summing up of Arrival ever made

Not because of the hipster dogshit pseudo-intellectual review, but because it PERFECTLY demonstrates why people like it

Top (most liked) comment:
>Map 15 hours ago
>You know, I won't lie, sometimes I don't know what you're talking about, but you sound sophisticated and its soothing to hear the deciphering of films/people.
>>
>>79494412
>someone doesn't get it
>HURR DURR NO ONE GETS IT

dumb people are dumb people. if you don't get the content of the video, you're a dumb person.
>>
>>79494370
way to miss the point dumpster skull. i never once suggested that time travel is a new concept, i said that seeing into the future isn't an effective plot device if i'm supposed to have my heartstrings pulled and care for the challenges the characters face.
>>
>>79490414
>>79490510

You are just hilarious. Even Nolan's ripoff for normies Inception was a better science fiction movie than Interstellar > Gravity >> Arrival.

And I can think of at least half a dozen more, actual honest movies, that were better than all of the above.
>>
>>79494466
>dumb people are dumb people. if you don't get the content of the video, you're a dumb person.
So you just called yourself a retard then?

Okay...
>>
>>79494526
Your try-hard buzzword-filled putdown implied the exploration of non-linear time was designed to make you say "whoa," when in fact the entire point of the movie is to use that tool to recontextualize how WE experience time, and how communication between HUMANS can be altered by considering this.

being more aware that our ending is as much as part of life as our beginning is meant to appeal to the heart, despite literally everything you said.
>>
>>79494609
where did I say I didn't get it?

the comment you posted, that you say is representative of "why people like it", is actually not. it's a comment from a retard who didn't try hard enough. that applies to you too.
>>
>>79492804
>film is a visual medium
>film itself lends itself very well to visual analysis
>getting mad a video essays
Let me guess, you have no idea how to edit so its just easier to shit on these as a whole.
>>
>>79494582
Enlighten us
>>
>>79494671
>Us
>>
>>79494639
>where did I say I didn't get it?
When you implied that you liked Arrival.

This post confirmed it.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who will staunchly say that when some random number you don't recognize starts talking to you on the phone random gibberish, you keep listening instead of hanging the phone. Like that fedora guy who said that when he gets a miscalled number call, he talks with them for 2 hours about how enlightened he is, from a thread about a month ago.
>>
>>79494618
>Your try-hard buzzword-filled putdown implied the exploration of non-linear time was designed to make you say "whoa,"

that's true. good job, you actually addressed what i said accurately. now convince me how non-linear time's novelty should entice me to care about the narrative beyond the level of entertainment i get looking at an mc escher painting

>the entire point of the movie is to use that tool to recontextualize how WE experience time, and how communication between HUMANS can be altered by considering this.

nice fucking word salad. never seen such passionate emphasis over a statement so vacuous of actual content before.

>how WE experience time,
how exactly do you experience time differently? what does that even mean?
>>
>>79494890
>how exactly do you experience time differently? what does that even mean?

I watch a lot of great anime (One Punch Man, Naruto, Bleach, or even stuff you never heard about like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure). Watching all of those had completely changed my perception of time, and now I am h-hayai.
>>
nerdwriter1 is an easily impressed faggot
>>
I liked the premise of the aliens using salami tactics to conquer Earth. Would be more interesting if they were actually evil, mindfucking Adams character along the way.
>>
>>79494854
I'm guessing in your constant strawmaning of the type of people who like Nerdwriter, you haven't actually watched it for yourself.

Nothing in the video is complicated. If you call it pseudo intellectual, you don't understand it, therefore you are a retard.

It's not rocket science, retard.
>>
>>79490385
Arrival is sucks progress
>>
>>79490414
>he hasn't seen Moon
Do it, man. It's 9/10.
>>
>>79495081
>Nothing in the video is complicated.
>If you call it pseudo intellectual,

The lack of self awareness here is just as I would expect from some guy who calls himself a retard on /tv/.
>>
>>79494890
>nice fucking word salad
uh oh, someone doesn't understand english! Nothing that I said is hard to understand. try harder.

>how exactly do you experience time differently? what does that even mean?
so you didn't even watch the movie. or you did and didn't even get the basic themes that any 5 year old can get.
>>
>>79495132
I don't think you even understand what pseudo intellectual means at this point.

If you didn't understand the video you're a retard. plan and simple.
>>
>dude let's blow up the first aliens our species has ever encountered because not-alex jones told me so lmao

I could live with the plot, but that part was pants on head retarded.
>>
>>79495211
it's literally how the far-right reacts to human immigrants, let alone aliens. how dense are you?
>>
>>79495164
>projecting

You literally don't even understand what you wrote in your posts. You're the one who said didn't get the video and that's why you like Arrival so much.

I never said it. Stop projecting your flaws onto me.
>>
>>79493199
> Both of you learn about the language at the same pace
NO WE DONT, WE DONT ACTUALLY GET TO LEARN HOW THEIR LANGUAGE WORKS WEJUST SEE AMY LEAR IT AND TRANSLATE IT TO US
>When amy finally has her eureka moment, so does the audience with respect to the structure of the film
YOU MEAN THE "TWIST" THAT WAS TELEGRAPHED AND OBVIOUS AS SHIT, THAT TWIST
>>
>>79495227
>>79495134
Damn, you blew your bait now.
>>
>>79495233
>You literally don't even understand what you wrote in your posts.
you called it word salad because YOU didn't understand it. Now who's projecting?

>You're the one who said didn't get the video
uhh no. I didn't.
>>
>>79495258
explain how it's bait, babytard.

you clearly didn't watch the movie, or the video, or both, if you don't understand basic these themes
>>
>>79495259
>you called it word salad

>I never did in the entire thread of posts starting from >>79495233
Oh my god, you're THAT guy too?

So not only are you the posts quoted here >>79495258 but also >>79495132 this turd? Are you unironically posting from two devices to whiteknight this turd movie?

This is the saddest thing I've seen on /tv/ this month.
>>
>>79495284
Shh, bait-kun, too late now. You just ruined your entire effort in this thread with >>79495259 by calling me the "world salad" guy. By that, you proved, that the "people" arguing in Arrival's favor in the last two hours were all just one guy all along.
>>
>>79495304
your strawmanning is getting out of control.

you don't need two devices to reply to two different people, retard.

and nice avoiding the actual argument. you don't understand Arrival. plain and simple.
>>
>>79495339
>your strawmanning is getting out of control.
Nope, it isn't out of control. You're just in full panic mode trying to cover up your fuck up.
>>
>>79495332
I'm ONE guy replying to possibly two or more people and never denied that?

But I just got here. My first post is this:
>>79494370

but keep trying to strawman your way out of this. you avoiding your own stupidity amuses me.
>>
>>79495367
so you can't come back to any of the content in my posts, can't understand a basic nerdwriter video, think basic english is "word salad" and can't understand the elementary themes of the movie.

got it.
>>
>>79495378
>>79495406
I am not trying to strawman my way out of anything, I already won. You literally went from making one of your posts use proper capital letters and the other in small caps to everything in small caps. That's how panicking you are right now.
>>
>>79495134
pay attention, jesus christ. it's like talking to a wall with you.

>Nothing that I said is hard to understand.
i didn't say it was hard to understand, (unless that's your understanding of what 'word salad' refers to), i said that it's totally devoid of content- that it's a non-explanation. it's a meaningless statement.

>didn't even get the basic themes that any 5 year old can get.
either a total lack of awareness or dishonest misdirection on your part here.

notice if you look at what i'm quoting, it's your statement:
>how WE experience time,

i was asking you to either:
a) clarify what you might mean by "experience time", if not meant literally
b) explain how we can literally experience time differently with relation to 'atemporality' as a concept, and how it can apply to us the way you so passionately suggested it did.
>>
>>79495436
>I already won
>wahhhhhh your english is word salad wahhhhhh
>I don't understand how the film explores time wahhhhhhhhh
>everything I don't understand is "pseudo intellectual"

yup, you "won" alright...
>>
Not enough Jeremy Renner in this thread.
>>
>>79495463
Yes, I blew you, your bait is visible to everyone.

You unironically proved that there isn't anyone in this thread who watched Arrival and liked it.
>>
>>79495463
just so you're aware, that guy isn't me, this post is:

>>79495449
>>
>>79495508
yeah sure, I don't believe you
>>
I wish Amy Adams was my mom.
>>
>>79495530
not sure if serious or not. i hardly type in capitals and i spent all that time you two were arguing typing that reply above. maybe if you paid attention you'd believe it.
>>
>>79495573
This Amy Adams is so hott, that's why it's my favorite movie.
>>
The pacing in this movie was atrocious. First half of the movie is slow, second half was rushed.

The atmosphere was largely forgettable besides the opening of the spaceship and the first few scenes with the Ayyliums.

Characters were terribly bland. Amy Adams was boring and unlikeable. Jeremy Renner was entertaining a few times, but forgetable. Whittaker played a stereotypical uncompromising military commander that pains him to relent to the main characters.

Concept of a circular language suddenly shifting how you perceive time once you can read it wasnt terribly convincing, or how the Ayyliums didnt bother to learn any earth language. The radical soldiers was dumb, as was the death of Abott. Several governments losing their minds over Ayys that did literally nothing than park their ships was silly.

Snooze Cruise/10
>>
>>79495449
how was what I said a meaningless statement if it applies to the fundamental themes of the movie that is explained in not only the video but every review about it??

>clarify what you might mean by "experience time", if not meant literally
The film is based on Sapir-Whorf theory and extends it towards non-linear experience of time in order to give the character a greater appreciation of the scope of mortality.

>explain how we can literally experience time differently
it's a fantastical exploration that is meant to inform how we experience the entirety of time.

The fact that Amy experiences the death right at the beginning of her journey makes us question whether it was worth giving birth in the first place, knowing she will eventually die of cancer.

This is a fundamental existential question that draws parallel to ALL our lives: why is life worth living if it all ends in death?

(continued...)
>>
>The movie is pure garbage, and Jews, SHIT.
>Anyone who isn't being an ironic cynic all the time is Reddit SHIT.

This place has gotten too predictable.
>>
>>79490904
the biggest question of them all is
how timeless creatures didnt learn English
they literally have all the the time in the world
>>
>>79494582
>honest movies
Not this shit again...
>>
>>79495998
It's not "not this shit again". Whether it was started as a joke or not, it is a fact that Villeneuve is a dishonest movie maker.
>>
>>79495449
>>79495673
I'm waiting for a rebuttal...

dismissing something just because you didn't think hard enough is not criticism. it's laziness.
>>
>>79495657
>Several governments losing their minds over Ayys that did literally nothing than park their ships was silly.

Yea, because if the cold war though us anything, its that governments always act rational and work well together under the pressene a possible threat.
>>
>>79490385
lmao this faggot reads too much into the lines
>>
File: 1398149893756.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1398149893756.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>79496189
Yea, laughable thinking the director put some thought into something he spent years of his life creating. LMAO!
>>
>>79495673
>how was what I said a meaningless statement if it applies to the fundamental themes

stop. it doesn't gain meaning just because it relates to the fundamental themes of the film. i suggested that its meaning (as a rebuttal to my original claim) is devoid of content because it fails to address the implication of my argument: that atemporality is emotionally bankrupt as a plot device designed to make me care for the characters and their relationships.

why? because it fixes all your problems ahead of time, the human element of uncertainty in a temporal framework is more dramatically valuable and more relatable. being able to see the future totally negates the tension of solving her problems, it's a get-out-of-jail-free card that too-easily alleviates the tension in the plot.
>>
>>79490385
>Why haven't you seen this masterpiece of cinema yet?

Saw it in the theatre 6 times.
>>
>>79496053
shit assumption on your part. i waited because your former post said
>(continued...)
>>
>>79494197
>But at least 5d-time library inside the blackhole in Interstellar was ridiculously funny.

Read the fine structure on qntm anon, you have no imagination.

>vsauce jimmy neutron nolan dubstep minecraft youtuber concept
that might make you say 'whoa' the same way that a paradox or optical illusion would

I mean I like vsauce. Science Fiction has to change some of the rules of reality to allow for the story to be told, that's how it works. If you can accept that there are telepaths in starship troopers or that physics allows for stargate travel, you should be able to accept the premise of arrival.
>>
>>79496288
but the non-linearity is not logically tied down in Arrival because dealing with predestination and divergency would be a needless theoretical entanglement that has nothing to do with what the film is trying to say.

it works as it is: with the beginning and ending tied in a loop, but the middle a place that can change in conjunction with the actions of its protagonists.

Nothing is "fixed" because the audience is experiencing it linearly: we don't know that the beginning was the ending. We can only know that after experiencing the movie in its entirety.

Like LOST, it uses the form of linear storytelling in order to generate suspense, but ultimately the message is one of a non-linearity that carries a deeper meaning.
>>
>>79496319
oh I was going to continue but I didn't wanna waste my time if no one was going to reply lol

my original reply was sufficient anyway
>>
>>79496426
>If you can accept that there are telepaths in starship troopers or that physics allows for stargate travel,

bad conflation. warp gates and space ships are complementary details that have nothing to do with the core narrative mechanics that directly affect our emotional takeaway.
>>
>people who dislike this movie are stupid
>this board is filled with obscenely stupid alt right/pol social justice warriors

i don't know what else you'd expect coming here. this board is one of the dumbest discussion forums ever.
>>
>>79496531
>warp gates
Star Gates. Have you seen the show? Half the episodes rely on some malfunction of the gate to tell the story.

>>79496549
The important thing is you found a way to feel superior to both of them. Instead of talking about the movie.
>>
>>79493430
yes, I hate that too

it sounds like he has trouble forming thoughts
>>
>>79490385
>Arrival is a great film
>Says the guy who liked the westworld show

Honestly, the fact that nerdwriter loved Arrival is just further evidence that Arrival is for psueds.
>>
>>79496500
>>79496288
as an addendum to that: how is linear storytelling any less emotionally bankrupt? If you told the story to Arrival linearly it would still be emotionally "valid" (Amy talks to aliens, they tell her her daughter will die, she has a daughter anyway)

it just wouldn't be as creatively tied to the thematic language of non-linearity and finite mortality.
>>
>>79496670
Why do you make these posts as if your opinions mean anything at all? The tone sounds as though you think "I also didn't like Westworld" somehow makes your opinion credible. You're a meme spamming dimwit with a double digit IQ, not someone who is allowed to make judgments of quality. "Pseudo-intellectual" is a favorite among meme spamming alt righterina drones because it takes no effortand has no substance. It's likely that you're very insecure about your low intelligence so rather than appreciating art you criticize it with lazy terms like "pseud" which gives you the fleeting illusion of superiority.
>>
File: arrival2.jpg (2MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
arrival2.jpg
2MB, 2400x1600px
The black commander was such a fucking idiot.

>let me see those inaccurate translations of the language which we learned few days ago
>oh no, it CLEARLY says that those aliens who landed here and are doing virtually nothing are here to attack us!
>quick, fall back and prepare to retaliate!
>>
File: 1485811831508-tv.jpg (155KB, 1800x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1485811831508-tv.jpg
155KB, 1800x1352px
>>79490385
>implying anybody cares about arrival being sci-fi
Are you fucking gay you dirty nigger-mongoloid?
>>
>>79496789
pseud detected
>>
You know, that might be true (not all time best, but best to come in the last several years).
It has good acting, I actually liked Amy here, pretty cool plot (which makes perfect sense, fite me), nice visuals, fine score (iirc).
However, that doesn't say much to me. It doesn't stick to me. I don't care to rewatch it, it was decent to good, but that's it. I guess I don't like sci fi that much.
>>
>>79496789
That's 90% of this board in general.
>>
>>79496819
She's a 5/10 face but damn that nipple slip gotta fap to this, thank you for taking one for the team to post this.
>>
>>79496789
Most of /tv/ is just labeling with buzzwords, I'm just shitposting sort of.

I have plenty of real criticisms of the film and of nerdwriter's interpretation, and they go beyond the fact that he's had bad opinions in the past (westworld was irredeemable, come on). And I've made these arguments against the film in other threads.

This shitposting obviously isn't meant to have substance or anything. It's not an argument. That being said, the buzzword I used applies to nerdwriter and if you don't think so, you're probably a psued.
>>
>>79496789
>>79497067
I think you're just frustrated because no one feels like taking your pseudo-intellectual bait about this dogshit overrated movie.

Remember, 10 years from now, Arrival will be remembered just as fondly as Avatar.
>>
>>79496500
>but the middle a place that can change in conjunction with the actions of its protagonists.

this is crucial, because the means by which the protagonists interact with the world to change the result (whether looping or not) becomes even more consequential. when those means of interaction are empowered by the ability to see the future, all possible consequence is alleviated free of charge, free of drama.

> it uses the form of linear storytelling in order to generate suspense
yes, and i found that incredibly effective.

>but ultimately the message is one of a non-linearity that carries a deeper meaning.
i don't agree. if that deeper meaning is what i think you're suggesting it is (that being able to see the future affects the decisions we make in the present), i don't think there's anything very deep about that. nowhere near compared to the depth of the meaning behind a more relatable concept (like the drama of making decisions in the face of uncertainty.)

i won't conflate 'tentative foresight' with 'literally seeing the future'.
>>
>>79497067
pseudo intellectual is an idiotic dismissal that implies the speaker or critic doesn't actually know what he's saying. it's more likely that the person calling him a pseud doesn't have the mental capacity to understand his basic analyses.
>>
>He is having a circlejerk with himself.

I really hope that it's just a viral marketer. Can't believe someone would be this desperate over such a garbage movie with no substance or depth.
>>
File: dignity.jpg (505KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
dignity.jpg
505KB, 2000x1250px
>>
>>79496712
>how is linear storytelling any less emotionally bankrupt?

i think we're maybe talking past eachother on this point. non-linear story telling isn't really my problem, it's the resolution of conflict via non-linear mechanics i have a problem with.
>>
>>79490385
It's shit. If the aliens had just given her a time-machine it would have been believable.
>>
>I think it was Stephen Fry-

ctrl+W, wipe cookies and cache, reset computer
>>
>>79497104
>all possible consequence is alleviated free of charge, free of drama
But there is a surfeit of drama that all has consequences when watched linearly, which is the only way you CAN watch it first time around.

The multinational cooperation, the threat of military response, that weird Alex Jones sabotage plot point all unfolds linearly and carries suspense.

What you seem to be suggesting in basic terms is: because the story it tells already happened, there is no value to that story.

What I'm saying is: we don't know that until the very end, at which point we have alreadyd experienced it linearly and therefore been subject to the suspense and mystery it offers.

But you seem to be missing the third element which is: what does it *mean& that it all was a forgone conclusion, that the movie arrived, ending and all, all at once.

That's where most of the meaning lies. I don't think you're giving that enough credit. That along with the fun language theory which is pretty cool from a pure sci-fi standpoint.
>>
>>79497104
oh and as for:
>nowhere near compared to the depth of the meaning behind a more relatable concept (like the drama of making decisions in the face of uncertainty.)

that's literally most of the movie. only Amy can experience non-linear time. For the military, for the nations that have to deal with it, for the military guy who tries to sabotage it, even for Amy up until the third act twist, it's about making human-scale decisions.

The audience does not know what the aliens are there for until the last 30 minutes.
>>
>>79497125
And I think that you have to be pretty childish to assume people who disagree with a an argument didn't understand it. You act like I'm dismissing him by calling him psuedo-intellectual instead of dismissing his arguments and using that to come to the conclusion that he is psuedo-intellectual. I can only assume that you are projecting or that you take nerdwriter so seriously that you can't imagine somebody reasonable disagrees with him.

It's true that I could go through the effort to debunk his arguments, and maybe I will if I'm in the mood, but you seem to deny that psuedo-intellectual can be a useful label at all. Just like the word pretentious, which is another label people here seem to hate, it can be used properly or improperly, and you shouldn't be upset by its mere usage. With pretentious, people seem to think that the meaning of the word is too nebulous to be used in any context, which is just false. Is that what you're doing with psued?
>>
File: IMG-20170215-WA0004.jpg (178KB, 1129x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170215-WA0004.jpg
178KB, 1129x1600px
>>79490385

Amy Adams will never arrive on my masculine penis...
>>
>>79497684
name one person in here who has actually dismissed anything nerdwriter has actually said.
>>
>>79497347
>because the story it tells already happened, there is no value to that story.
no. i'm saying that the mechanic that allows her to direct the story (seeing into the future) isn't compelling.

maybe i'm not comprehending what you're suggesting. are you saying that she was determined to see into the future and subsequently determined to make actions based on that ability? that those conditions are as emotionally relevant to an outside spectator as temporally linear progression, solely because they fall under the purview of determinism?

because that's where i think we disagree. she could be hard-determined to see the future, but it doesn't make the device any more compelling just because it arises deterministically (the same way any device would arise in this context.)
>>
>>79497547
>that's literally most of the movie.
which i liked, and which i think is subsequently squandered through a meaningless means of resolution.
>>
>>79495933
fucking this

space beaming time machine aliens can't learn a language as simple as english

what a fucking shit basis to make your movie
>>
File: big guy mad.jpg (275KB, 600x901px) Image search: [Google]
big guy mad.jpg
275KB, 600x901px
Arrival is Villeneuve's latest yearly-attempt to convince pseudo-cinephiles that he's an artist. In it, he has a vague non-sensical sci-fi plot about time travel. Where smart films, such as the original Iron Man or Christopher Nolan's Inception, construct a believable world and then weave sci-fi themes around it, Arrival goes full idiocy. We get telepathic aliens that look like hands and can see the future who teach Amy Adams to time travel so that she can save the world so that the world can save the aliens in the future. Sounds stupid? That's because it is. And don't be confused by the trailers, there are no big set-pieces, no explosions or shoot-outs. Just 2 hours of Amy Adams acting confused before she realises that Jeremy Renner is the father of her dead baby from the future. Yeah.
Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar, but without the interesting space-travel and without the emotional impact that leaves you in tears. I'd say Villeneuve needs to take a break from filmmaking to figure out his strengths, but BladeRunner 2 is coming soon so we know there's no hope of that happening.
>>
>>79497984

Love this post.
>>
>>79497182
fucking kek

to bad nobody seems to get it
>>
>>79497984
>Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar
Both films were great you fucking pleb.
>>
>>79498041
I saw it, I know its the milhouse's dad's dignity thing. I didn't think it was funny enough to reply to, so maybe others feel the same.
>>
>>79497984
was wondering where this was, you're late
>>
>>79497802
I can't really argue with you not finding something compelling. But you not getting why it's structured that way, or how that actually does tie into "having your heartstrings pulled," through the use of her dying daughter, is another story.

It shouldn't have to be any more complicated than "non-linear experience of time presents moral questions that puts our time on earth into perspective."

if anything it addresses the biggest question of all which as I've said before is that of existential purpose.

you're too focused on the logical puzzle of determinism and cause-effect when the film is not interested in that at all. It's not about how she's able to affect change (because the answer is: whenever the plot needs her to). It's about the offering of non-linear perception as a gift to help unlock the protagonist's (as well as our) appreciation of time.

a good summation may be: helping humanity live for another 3000 years is as important as helping a girl live for a mere 13 years.
>>
File: 1485032848127.gif (4MB, 344x203px) Image search: [Google]
1485032848127.gif
4MB, 344x203px
>Stop strawmanning that everyone who criticises Arrival is an idiot who loves capeshit and didn't understand t-
>>79497984
>nevermind...
>>
so what was the point of the movie ?

that love transcends space and time ?
>>
>>79498188
no it was about
taking fat ogre shits in your spacesuit
>>
>>79498188
That 2001 would have been a better film if it starred Matthew McConnaughey and Jessica Chastain
>>
>>79498222
MUUURPH
>>
>>79498041
>>79498110
Damn, these philistines here don't even recognize a smart reference to the most kino cartoon series ever made?
>>
File: anon_gay.png (220KB, 522x411px) Image search: [Google]
anon_gay.png
220KB, 522x411px
>>79493344
>Zemeckis' Contact
>>
>>79495227
aliens might actually be worthwhile though.
>>
>>79490414
Infini and Pandorum were both far above this pile of crap. Unpolished gems vs a polished turd.
>>
>>79498352
How dare you
>>
>>79498133
>It shouldn't have to be any more complicated than "non-linear experience of time presents moral questions that puts our time on earth into perspective."

that's a side contention that i think we've shifted focus to from my main contention, which is that all the plot suspense was alleviated in a terribly unrelatable way.

>you're too focused on the logical puzzle of determinism and cause-effect when the film is not interested in that at all.

no i think you kind of put me there with your previous post. if anything, in my last post, i was suggesting that whether things are determined or not doesn't matter. it's the grandeur of the ability that i don't find relatable and thus don't find compelling, not whether it fits into a deterministic framework or not. or a looping one for that matter.

>It's not about how she's able to affect change
that is my exact contention. it IS about how she's able to affect change. if you affect change via some incredible power that people can't relate to (like future vision) then you're not going to appeal to me emotionally.

>(because the answer is: whenever the plot needs her to).
notice the syntax there. you started with a how statement and concluded with a when statement. i'm not arguing against 'when' she changes things, i'm arguing against the substance of the means by which she changes things.
>>
>>79498503
>that is my exact contention. it IS about how she's able to affect change.
then this is where I think you're mistaken because this is far from the focus of the story

I have to leave work so I'll have take a rain check for now. pick this up later? feel free to call me a faggot while i'm gone.
>>
>>79498222
Nope, 2001 is a good film as it is.
Matthew McConnaughey and Jessica Chastain are very good btw.
>>
>>79498606
understood. this thread will probably be gone, but if it isnt ill probably check back in.

one last thing:
>then this is where I think you're mistaken because this is far from the focus of the story

it doesnt have to be the focus of the story to largely affect the value of the story. if all the suspense that was built up hinges on a mechanic that's silly and unrelatable, then what good was that suspense in the first place?

for a convo that started out so thorny, it was actually kind of fun drilling down to the details.
>>
>>79498734
sorry, i should say what good is the payoff? what good is the alleviation of that suspense? (not the suspense itself)
>>
>>79493665
>time lapse
I had never seen it, I just finished watching it, holly shit thank you anon
>>
>>79493430
>I really hate the way Nerdwriter talks.
But why would you say this, anon? Is it that the way he quickly raises his tone and rate of delivery before slowing down to deliver what he considers the final and elegant blow to his point annoys... you? Because never forget that you are just one individual in a sea of many. Many that happen to appreciate his video. Come to think of it, the fact that you decide to express "hate"... towards just one aspect of his video, something so miniscule and separated from his well-formulated thoughts in his video could, to some, be seen as... envy. You claim to hate the way he talks, is it that you specifically chose to target something so subjective because there's simply nothing else to... attack?

Seriously though, it's really fucking annoying.
>>
>>79493344
can't beat the classics *tips trilby*
>>
>>79490576
yes, but it's a movie for women desu
>>
>>79490904
>literally a zillion questions were opened but left unanswered
because of lazy writing. it's targeted to an audience who can't look up from their phones anyways.
>>
Should've just been a short movie that ends after the first 40 minutes
>>
>>79492772
>it upsets me how everyone criticises the film as shit and then goes on to elaborate with questions that were clearly answered
no, they weren't. most of your conclusions are interpretation. any chance you are the guy who told me that this is not "hard sci-fi" earlier that day?
>>
I thought it was one of the most immersive movies I've seen in a while. You're allowed to like popular things, /tv/
>>
>>79490385
>People here shits on Arrival while praising crap like BvS and Drive.
Really gets your noggin joggin.
>>
>>79500631
You'll understand when you have watched more movies outside of tarantino and PTA
>>
>Nerdwriter1

he sucks
>>
Is it better than Interstellar?
>>
>233 posts
>not one actual buzzword-free argument of why is it "shit"

Also "I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE PLAUSIBLE OR REALISTIC" is not a valid argument of a visual medium
>>
There are two major theaters within five minute drive of me and neither showed it. I am getting seriously pissed off at the '11 screen theater' where eight screens are dedicated full-time to the latest Disney drivel.
>>
*blocks path*
>>
>>79500805
And I forgot to mention, Nerdwriter is a rambling pseudo-intellectual cunt, all of his videos could be 45 seconds long but he has to ramble with those fake pauses to get that sweet youtube money, no substance
>>
>>79493199
we don't really learn their language, they just do a montage and then they have a fully functional translator by the end
>>
>>79500805
>Also "I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE PLAUSIBLE OR REALISTIC" is not a valid argument of a visual medium
film is a visual medium, but if a movie has a narrative then said narrative is subject to criticism
>>
>>79500511
Every conclusion is interpretation, but none of it is far-fetched here and all of it is strongly implied
The world uniting was literally stated by Amy Adams. The General and the future was subtler but still there.
Just because the film doesn't explicitly let the audience know everything happening isn't a flaw. The concepts are so abstract and handled with proper care such that they leave the explanations in the background for those who do care, while the narrative about communication and unity is pushed to the forefront. But that doesn't mean that the questions aren't adequately dealt with.

If you can't make clear inferences, then unironically stick to capeshit. This doesn't even scrape the barrel of films that are hard to understand and need deep analysis.

>any chance you are the guy who told me that this is not "hard sci-fi" earlier that day?
No, I have literally no idea what you're talking about. I guess you could say that maybe? I don't see what relevance it would have to anything though
>>
>shit ton of exposition
>some of the corniest lines in recent memory
>every character besides the protag is either one dimensional or a charicature

Only those who graduated from capeshit or IMDb-core classics very recently would dare say Arrival is a smart movie. Villeneuve truly is the champion of middlebrow filmmaking
>>
>>79501124
>>shit ton of exposition
There are a lot of conversations about their thought-processes, theories and what they think the aliens want. That's pretty realistic considering the circumstance. There are no conversations clearly aimed at the viewer (outside of some of the early scenes) that are clearly just there to stop the viewer from feeling lost

It's hardly anything close to a Nolan film where the entire story thus far is summed up every 10 minutes
>>
>>79490385
>>79490414
/tv/ confirmed dead

Arrival is trash. I can't beleve how plebby you lot are. 3/10
>>
>>79500975
Not him, but claiming that it's unrealistic when dealing with a story about an abstract concept that is outside of any chance of being empirically tested, or even understood, in the near future really isn't valid criticism

To further this in case you want to argue that science agrees that the plot is unrealistic,
ttps://www.quora.com/What-is-the-story-behind-using-the-same-word-for-blue-and-green-in-Japanese
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue%E2%80%93green_distinction_in_language#Japanese

In Japan, green is seen as another shade of blue. And this has been observed to have the psychological effect such that Japanese people used to be terrible at being able to distinguish the two colours.
But as multi-culturalism has become a thing over the last few decades, there they are now much better.
But because of this, Japanese traffic lights have a blue light instead of a green light because it's the same thing to them
And this is without mentioning whorfianism specifically

Non-linear time isn't something that scientific devices can see but that our senses can't detect.
Our senses can perceive time. We have no way of knowing if it's possible for them to observe time non-linearly. Probably not, but we can't know that for sure
So the statement "this is entirely ridiculous and obviously impossible" is completely false. If you want to claim that it's true, please provide some evidence or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>79490385

This movie has a hack screenplay, fuck you.
>>
File: 083[1].jpg (18KB, 377x351px) Image search: [Google]
083[1].jpg
18KB, 377x351px
>>79495933
>>79497944
dubs speak the truth
>>
>i know it hasnt been very long, but the canary is still alive
>guess its safe to rip off all of this protective clothing then
>>
It had too much story.
>>
>>79500859
this movie was so good even muh strong female character couldnt ruin it
based Tom
>>
>>79501332
You're moving the goalposts. That other poster implied that film, being a visual medium, can't be criticized regarding its narrative.
>>
>>79501460
I know, and I agree that it was a stupid thing to say. That doesn't change that criticising Arrival for being unrealistic is a stupid, baseless criticism by buttmad plebs
>>
>>79501223
Not that anon and I agree with most of your post, I thoroughly enjoyed Arrival, but there some scenes where the information could've been let for the viewer instead of explaining it.

For example, the explanation of her daughter's name Hannah.
Not only does Villenueve explain that it is a palindrome but he even has to explain what a palindrome is and what is the meaning of having her name as a palindrome.
All of that could've been cut out and left for the viewer, or perhaps it could've been just a single shot of the name "HANNAH" written somewhere and a mirror against it, making all the other words unreadable but the name Hannah.
>>
>cyberpunk and ghost in the shell is about body acceptance
>Children of Men is about trump
saying things in faggy genious voice doesen't make you smart
>>
>>79501223
>There are no conversations clearly aimed at the viewer
There are plenty. I didn't realize it when I first watch the movie in theaters, but they're definitely there. The most glaring example is the brief voiceover that happens around half of the movie
>>
>>79501547
Did he actually say those things?
>>
>>79501460
>That other poster implied that film, being a visual medium, can't be criticized regarding its narrative.

No I didn't, I implied that you can't criticize the quality of a narrative by is it plausible in the real life.
You can criticize the narrative, ofcourse a script can be badly written, but you critize it in the confines of the film, not by the real world.
>>
>>79501516
I know what you mean, but they were going for mass appeal (it is a big-budget blockbuster afterall)
The majority of people are idiots

>>79501564
> the brief voiceover
You mean by Adams? That's the one where there's like a 6 month time-skip right? I might be forgetting it
But I don't normally include voiceovers as exposition because, and maybe I'm being hypocritical, but that's the point of them. It's not a conversation that they're pretending is realistic that obviously isn't, it's very clearly the character talking a potential audience - or themselves trying to understand what happened

But like, I wouldn't say A Clockwork Orange was overly full of exposition just because it was narrated
>>
>>79501606
yes and it should immediately discredit all of his opinions for the rest of his life.
>>
>>79501639
>No I didn't
you obviously did kek
otherwise the "visual medium" part of your sentence wouldn't be there

>>79501675
that's the most obvious instance of exposition
about half of the dialogue in this movie has an almost didatic quality to it due to an attempt to explain these wacky concepts to a large audience.
it gave the movie blockbuster appeal with a significant drawback in quality, imo
the second half of this movie is a trainwreck regarding this. me and my friends had already realized the daughter subplot wasn't actually a memory from her past, but actually something in the future, but the narrative just kept hammering this into our heads, giving brief tips and finally explaining it to you on painstaking detail
and what's more surprising: some people STILL weren't able to understand the movie lmfao
>>
>>79501862
>and what's more surprising: some people STILL weren't able to understand the movie lmfao
then you admit that it needed to be that blunt.

if it was any subtler it wouldnt've made it to wide release and would just be some independent movie that no one saw, like Coherence.
>>
Just finished watching it for the first time. So she told him early on how their daughter was gonna die and he was like: "Oh... well fuck this. I'm out." That's what happens?

Also, did she teach her daughter the heptopod language? There are these audio snippet flashbacks of the daughter learning vocabulary, the drawing and those playdo (sp?) figures. Also, that 'I hate you!' shout at the beginning which could be anger from her being able to see her own premature death I guess?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. Drawing and figurines might just by inspired by accounts of what happened back then told to her.

I dunno, Amy's character in the end says you perceive time the alien's way if you learn their language. But who else is able to fully grasp the language? Seemingly she didn't teach it to her husband. And she seemed awefully quick there in the end when she got 'fluent' it seemed. Maybe she wasn't yet though when they left.
>>
>>79501862
>but the narrative just kept hammering this into our heads, giving brief tips and finally explaining it to you on painstaking detail
>and what's more surprising: some people STILL weren't able to understand the movie lmfao
>>79502105

Exactly. There's always that trade-off
An argument could be made that maybe it should have just said "fuck it" to the plebs and toned down the exposition moreso, but it is a big-budget blockbuster and, as far as I can tell, the majority of viewers still didn't understand the film on a surface level (nevermind going into subtext and the philosophy it explored)

It skirts that awkward line of trying to have actual substance but also appeal to the mainstream. How well it succeeds is up to you I guess
Personally, I felt that it handled the subject matter with such care and in enough depth that any overdrawn explanations didn't detract but that's me
>>
What was the point of the bird in the room?
Do they explain that but I didn't catch it?
>>
>>79502324
aliens are made out of coal.
>>
>>79502324
If the air started gong toxic they'd see the bird die first
>>
>>79502324
Lab rat, check for oxigen, toxins etc.?
>>
>>79502324
Isn't it a trope in sci-fi movies by this point?

I think I saw it in prometheus.
>>
The story was by far the most boring part of the film
>>
>>79502414
it's a trope... in real life anon.
>>
>>79502114
No one?
>>
>>79502324
The caged bird was brought onto the ship in order to make sure the air wasn’t poisonous.

This act originally came from the coal mining industry where a canary would be taken down into the mines along with the workers.
Since canaries are vastly smaller than humans and almost consistently emit a chirping sound, as soon as the canary died then the workers would know that the air was poisonous and would quickly evacuate before it would reach levels that would be toxic for humans.

Also it's a safe device if all technology stops working.

In fact it’s only because of the canary that Amy Adams’ character decides to take her helmet off. We see her specifically look at the bird before she removes it.
>>
>>79502626
whoah,deeep......
>>
>>79490385
holy fuck
>>
>>79502114
>So she told him early on how their daughter was gonna die and he was like: "Oh... well fuck this. I'm out." That's what happens?
She told him that their daughter was gonna die, that she knew she was gonna die and that she decided to have the child anyway. He got mad and left her for putting him through that pain
But he doesn't abandon the child

>Also, did she teach her daughter the heptopod language? There are these audio snippet flashbacks of the daughter learning vocabulary, the drawing and those playdo (sp?) figures.
Shit... I never even thought of this... Maybe...

>But who else is able to fully grasp the language?
At the end of the film, no one
The Chinese General comes the closest, but he's still nowhere near fluent
>>
File: na_srebrnym_globie_2.png (100KB, 499x336px) Image search: [Google]
na_srebrnym_globie_2.png
100KB, 499x336px
>>79490385
>best sci-fi of all time
>>
>>79502626
>>79502414
>>79502401
>>79502387
>>79502365
Ok cool thanks anons
>TIL something

>>79502482
It's because this has been discussed before, I have discussed it before.
Ian leaves because of that yes. It's quite difficult to cope with that certainty. An anon made a good point that Louise doesn't seem to blame him for that, she understands his decision.
Probably not, she doesn't teach it. I mean she is a child for the most time, why would you teach a language which would immerse her in a way of thinking that would alienate her form others?
^That's a hypotheses actually, but she isn't seen to do that. I hate you is followed by I love you (or the other way around) which is just a moment in a kid's life.
She is told what happened. Non-linear perceiving of time doesn't mean you can see events you never are present.
That was a question of mine too, how the language who later taught, apparently the data collected after they start working together was the key to learn and teach the language, a Rosetta stone as I have seen people calling it.
>>
>>
>>79494582
>intershitlar is better
m-muh love going though space and time
yeah nah kill yourself
>>
>>79503115
damn...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY
>>
File: 1472652271640.png (3KB, 168x141px) Image search: [Google]
1472652271640.png
3KB, 168x141px
why is the youtuber attributing all the idea that was literally in the book to villeneuve? he was fucking spoonfed everything.
>>
>>79503528
see

>>79501547

pretty sure nerdwriter is fucking retarded
>>
>>79490385
Arrival was boring as fuck. It's made for dumb people to feel like they're watching something smart. 5/10
>>
>>79503528
lol this triggered me too

writers never get the credit
>>
>>79490385
film becomes twice as good if english isn't your 1st language
>>
>>79501547
do you not get what subtext and interpretation is? are you literally 12?
>>
>>79503620
pfftt hahahahah is that you mr. faggot?
>>
>>79503663
amazing argument
>>
>>79503681
saying "you don't get subtext" isn't an argument either nerdwriter you faggot
>>
>>79503663
oh you're 11. makes sense tbqh
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>79503725
>>
nice commentary but he makes bizarre claims for headlines

>a response to bad films

no. good films are just surrounded by bad films because bad films are easier to make
>>
File: 1480414572651.png (138KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1480414572651.png
138KB, 400x400px
>>79490385

>nerdwriter

WTF. I hate Arrival, now.
>>
>>79492982
total recall
edge of tomorrow
forbidden planet
moon
men in black
thx 1138
sunshine
minority report

are all better sci-fi movies than Arrival

not to mention shows like Twilight Zone and Star Trek that are also mostly better
>>
>>79503916
none of those have any deep meaning or deal with the human experience in any way.

Moon maybe. but the rest are complete hollywood popcorn trash.
>>
>>79503953
how the hell does arrival have anything to do with the human condition?
>>
>>79504055
the entire thing is about how altering our collective perception of time we can become a more empathetic and constructive society.

are you telling me you're criticising a movie that you haven't even grasped the basics of?
>>
>>79503953
>arrival
>deep meaning
wew lad
>>
>>79503820
now??
>>
>>79490385
How the fuck can a language make you see the future? The twist was shit.

I'm sorry, this is sci fi not fantasy
>>
>>79504089
hmmm
>>
>>79504101
>mfw he literally turned his brain off bro during the whole thing
jesus wept.
>>
>>79504124
this movie isn't smart
sorry you have low iq and poor taste in film
>>
>>79504089
That was more of an afterthought if anything.
>>
>>79504171
the story it's based on was evidently smart enough to win multiple awards, including the most prestigious sci-fi award in its category. so no. you're dumb. the film is smart.

>>79504181
it's the entire point of the story. along with the language games, it's why it was written
>>
>>79504171
>he doesn't understand it
>therefore it's dumb
when will you capeshit fags leave this earth for good?
>>
>>79497347
>The multinational cooperation, the threat of military response, that weird Alex Jones sabotage plot point all unfolds linearly and carries suspense.
>carries suspense
do they reeaallly? this part was terrible. like watching a cheap TV drama. literally just filler.
>>
>>79504231
the source material being smart doesn't imply a smart movie
arrival is a hack job

>>79504265
>implying I didn't understand it
>"if you don't like my middlebrow hackjob you're a capeshitter xD"
grow up
>>
>>79504270
eh, something had to happen or else normies would've just got up and left the theater. funnily enough that stuff actually isn't in the original short story and was added just to appeal to people who hate thinking and want something to explode every 10 minutes.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 244x207px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 244x207px
>>79490904
>A bunch of guys can just decide to take in and set up bombs in one of the most secure places in the world with hundreds of other personnal and security cameras around them.
>>
>>79504307
the story is the movie. stay dumb though. it suits you.
>>
>>79504353
the story was adapted. you'd know that if you'd read the book :^)
>>
>>79504390
the movie actually contains more plot than the book though and retains all the main elements that made it a hit.
>>
>>79504390
also it's not a book. it's a short story that's like 30 pages.
>>
>>79504418
so you admit it's an adaptation? good
I accept your concession
>>
>>79504448
an adaptation doesn't mean it loses the original story, which the film has. the adaptation is the story.
>>
>>79504089
>the entire thing is about how altering our collective perception of time we can become a more empathetic and constructive society.

>this gets peppered in in the last 10 minutes
really makes you think
>>
>>79504444
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonymy

>>79504470
wrong. the only way your original argument that "a smart original story means a smart movie" would make any sense is if the original story was preserved to a very high extent
even then it would be a problematic conclusion, since literature and film are waaay different mediums and somethings get lost in translation
resuming: arrival isn't smart or deep and you should shut the fuck up and watch more movies
>>
>>79504496
>he wants the main theme to be hammered into his head every 5 minutes.

>"peppered in the last 10 minutes" yet people still don't catch it
>>
>>79504546
it's smart because the story is smart. the story is carried along faithfully in its adaptation, therefore the film is smart too. you don't need mental gymnastics to figure that one out.

>arrival isn't smart or deep
how is it not?
>>
>>79504605
the way you tell a story matters
film and literature tell stories in different ways, period
there's more to a smart movie than the material it's based on
>>
>>79504638
the way the story is told is similar in both mediums but visualised better in the movie as it is less reliant on narration and more on emotive montage and performance.

>film and literature tell stories in different ways, period
and? that doesn't stop adaptations of smart stories from being smart by mere transliteration. Arrival actually benefits greatly from visual aids, especially when it comes to heptapod's written logograms.

>there's more to a smart movie than the material it's based on
which in terms of Arrival means...? what did that not do that the story did?
>>
>>79504553
I want the main theme to actually have relevance to the rest of the story.
>>
>>79503953
lmao at ur life
>total recall
explores identity and whether your actions and personality are really your own
>forbidden planet
about inner thoughts projecting themselves as real life monsters
>MIB
yeah its not deep but it is entertaining
>thx 1138
you've clearly never seen this
>sunshine
psychology of being on a long mission
>minority report
similar to Arrival, it's about predetermination and whether you can change a known future

>>79504089
>>79504124
you literally have to turn your brain off for it make sense. seeing the future by learning a language is not how the human mind works and is not how physics works and is thus not part of the human condition
>>
>>79504856
>what is science fiction
>seeing the future is not ok but memory transplants and martian atmospheres? totally fine!
y i k e s
>>
>>79504756
1: the original story was significantly altered
2: adapting material to the screen doesn't work by mere transliteration. you suggesting that shows an extreme ignorance of the medium
3: arrival isn't smart because it was significantly dumbed down for wide release appeal. the script is full of exposition, cheesy lines and cliched characters for easy digestion
>>
>camera, lighting, story all good
>prettymuch everything is good
>not a good movie still tho
Whew you really made me thinking there anon
>>
>>79504962
>not good enough for my eccentric movie tastes
I actually prefer the works of Henneke and sucking dog dick
>>
File: omTb[1].png (813KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
omTb[1].png
813KB, 640x432px
>>79504976
>>79505018
t. obliterated embryo
>>
>>79504920
the issue with Arrival is that it doesn't say that there is some unexplained future technology responsible, or even like a fantasy explanation like magic. It gives you an explanation that is just flat-out incoherent with how reality works and then retards celebrate this for being so smart and clever. There is no way that language can make your thoughts transcend physics. It's dishonest and misleading. The film introduces so many accurate linguistics concepts and then just takes a giant shit on reality at the end.
>>
>>79504962
> adapting material to the screen doesn't work by mere transliteration
I didn't say it was "mere" transliteration. I said that adapting as such wouldn't make the material not smart by comparison.

the logic you're using is that just because it's an adaptation the movie is inherently worse than the story. that's false.

as for the exposition: I don't really know what your problem is as that was all in the book.

>cheesy lines
>cliched characters
such as?
>>
>>79505149
>I didn't say it was "mere" transliteration.
you literally said it lmao

>the logic you're using is that just because it's an adaptation the movie is inherently worse than the story
wrong. I'm saying Arrival is a bad adaptation

>as for the exposition: I don't really know what your problem is as that was all in the book.
not really. the short story seemed way more succint and didn't spoonfeed nearly as much as the movie

>such as?
every line by renner's character
all characters besides amy adams'
>>
>>79505259
here's what I said:
>that doesn't stop adaptations of smart stories from being smart by mere transliteration
translation: if an adaptation was mere transliteration, it would not stop it from being smart.

Arrival is more than this, visually, aurally and structurally, therefore is not mere transliteration (lmao)

>every line by renner's character
>all characters besides amy adams'
just sounds like you hate everything, really. all their lines weren't expositional. renner's character provided an ideological opposition to adams which adds dimension to the choice she makes.

all improvements.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.