/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about dubbing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_4978.jpg (97KB, 313x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4978.jpg
97KB, 313x676px
What do you think about dubbing?
>>
>>79468388
i genuinely can't believe that someone would be ok with dubbing
>>
>>79468562
>taking jobs away from local voice actors
Delete this post immediately or face the wrath of the SAG-AFTRA
>>
>>79468388
Could be good if the technology improves e.g. Matching the mouth movements to the voice-over. But, mostly I think it's pointless. People say "Subs are distracting!!" but after like 2 or 3 films you get used to it
>>
>>79468388
>>79468562
It can be done well. I know Studio Ghibli often hires big names like Patrick Stewart or Christian Bale to play their characters.
>>
In this day and age is not really a problem, you can easily find the original version of movies with the original audio.
>>
believe it or not french people genuinely think their dubs are good and are often fond of the "voice" of a particular actor since voice actors dub the same actor for many years

of course they are retards who dont understand how much is lost in translation, and it's textbook sour grapes
>>
>>79468388
dubbing is the reason all those countries' average citizen can barely string a sentence together in english.
it's actually shocking when you see just how awful their english is.

there's a better chance of bumping into a fluent english speaker in albania than france
>>
>>79468778
>I prefer trips
You cannot delete your shame faggot
>>
>>79468727
Ever since I learned English I watch stuff in its original language, but this thing you Americans have with mouth movements is an obsession.

When I saw how South Park was animated and that they had different mouth shapes for every sound, I frankly thought it was wasted effort.

Mouth movements not corresponding to voiceover is one of the least bothersome things ever.
>>
>>79468759
True but it's a lot easier for animation
>>
Dubbing everything is a mistake, a waste of money and a good way to delay every fucking release
>>
>>79468388
pic related
Austria uses German dubs
>>
>>79468840
>all those countries' average citizen can barely string a sentence together in english.
Bullshit. The average level in Germany and Switzerland's quite good.
>>
>>79468822
>>79468840
France is notorious when it comes to about their shit language. faggots i have encountered either didn't know anything about english or down right refused to speak it and answer my questions in french.

they are so butthurt that french isn't lingua franca anymore.
>>
Dubbing in live action movies is absolutely awful and she never be watched that way, unless it's necessary for a child too young to read.

For animation, it's a mixed bag. Some anime is better dubbed - a lot aren't. Western cartoons I'm obviously watching in English anyway.
>>
>>79468840
>France
>Expecting them ever to willingly learn English
>>
>>79468959
>Germany
not really.
>>
I'm surprised dubbing is used at all in Europe, I thought most people there spoke at least 2 languages so they'd only need subtitles at most.
>>
>>79468959
Germans aren't that good in my experience.
>>
>>79468959
no it's not
it's pretty poor
it's still definitely better than the average of italy and france
>>
Oh noes, think of all those Iron Man quips that ar going to be lost with dubbing, or the new Star Wars movie. It's not like general audiences are going to watch dubbed arthouse anyway
>>
>>79468891
So, you don't find it off-putting in live action? Regardless I'm not american and perfectly I'm fine with subs it's just the general audience that despises them
>>
>grow up in belgium
>movies in english with two simultaneous lines of subtitles, one in french the other in flemish

pretty sure this would give a seizure to any americlap
>>
Live action dubbing= terrible
Animation= usually acceptable
>>
dubbing is ultra pleb tier
>>
Some regions in France have dubbed versions only cinemas. The true cinéphiles are in Paris where original versions are prefered.
People who only see cinema as a killing time kind of hobby find subtitles disturbing and unconfortable to read. Basically plebs think dubbed versions are superior to the originals (supposedly they relate more to the characters since they're speaking French, don't mind the confusion it creates among the plot or setting).
>>
>>79469003
It's not so bad, that they can barely string together a sentence, especially under a certain age.

And the reason it's so lousy in France, is because of the influence of that preservation of French society, and their hateboner for all foreign languages. Can't even fucking say computeur in French scientific papers, you have to say ordinateur.
>>
>>79469059
This. For animation, it depends upon the quality of the dub. For live action, it's always shit
>>
>>79468562
Dubbing is best for animation because so much of the emphasis is on the imagery
>>
File: Season_6_hodor_main.jpg (83KB, 433x594px) Image search: [Google]
Season_6_hodor_main.jpg
83KB, 433x594px
havent been back to france in 6 years, how did they do it?
>>
>>79469043
Perhaps it's because I'm used to it, but no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7THU5xgngk

It's jarring to watch them all in sequence, but imagine you only ever see one of these. It works fine.
>>
it fucks with the globalists so it's a good thing
>>
German dubs of English shows/movies aren't that bad because the language is similar so the mouth movement is almost identical.
>>
File: _58381835_jex_1314712_de27-1.jpg (27KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
_58381835_jex_1314712_de27-1.jpg
27KB, 640x360px
>>79468388

Based ScandiBros

Nordic Union when?
>>
>>79469038
How did they translate ON THE ROOF!?
>>
>PER TE
https://youtu.be/p7FN_UXHb0Q
>>
>>79468759
>I know Studio Ghibli often hires big names

It's Disney and their subsidiaries who hire the cast for the US release of Ghibli films since they have the distribution rights for most of their movies
>>
File: 1472107563091.jpg (178KB, 1451x816px) Image search: [Google]
1472107563091.jpg
178KB, 1451x816px
>>79468388
I think you have some sick dubbing skills with those 8's.

Now let me show you faggots how its really done.
>>
>>79469134
>Turkish sounds like some filthy Orc language
kek
>>
AGUANTA EL PORTON
AGUANTA EL PORTON
AGUANTA EL PORTON
HODOR
HODOR
HODOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBQi1krmz4
>>
>>79468388
Generally bad, unless it's part of a new artistic interpretation of a film.
>>
>>79469280
For fuck's sake
>>
>>79469086
Quel type de taré utiliserait ''computeur'' en premier lieu?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
>>79469280
>>79469129
>Translator's face when he receives this script
>>
>>79469006
>spoke at least 2 languages
Unfortunately saying "I want drink beer. Where is hotel?" counts as speaking English for loads of people. I'm Dutch and loads of people here think we all speak English fluidly but when I try to hold a conversation in English or read something they wrote I want to cry. This hubris naturally means that there is no desire to improve.

Also the second language of many European people is often German or Russian.
>>
>>79469006
Due to dogmatic distrust/dislike of other European countries, usually the English, a lot of British and Irish media is dubbed.

Although things from the UK and Ireland are subbed in English if they're released outside of the UK, often due to different accents and dialects being hard to understand from someone not native to the Isles.

It's weird in a way, when media made in mainland Europe is brought to the UK and Ireland, it's usually only ever subbed, I can't think of an example outside of anime and cartoons where there's a dub track.
>>
>>79469280
Oh man, what the fuck?!
>>
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1487201054991.webm
Doktor Pavel, ich bin von der CIA
>>
>>79469088
Dubbed kaiju and kung fu flicks are fun though.
>>
>>79469463
>It's weird in a way, when media made in mainland Europe is brought to the UK and Ireland, it's usually only ever subbed, I can't think of an example outside of anime and cartoons where there's a dub track.

Kung Fu movies are shown dubbed on certain channels in the UK. The main broadcasters usually opt for the subs but only show foreign films late at night.

I've noticed with Film4 you'll see a Ghibli film or something shown dubbed in the middle of the day one week so kids can watch it during half term or something. And then they'll show it again a few weeks later, but late at night and in Japanese with subs.
>>
>>79468562
europeans hate reading
>>
>>79469668
This is better than Gillen's original performance
>>
>>79469860
I think you meant americans. they don't dub they make their own movie in english
>>
>>79468388
I refuse to watch dubbed films. Subs>*
>>
It's not a big deal. I prefer subtitles on my Korean or Russian films, but I remember a time when I wasn't so anal about purity and happily watched dubs on TV.
>>
>>79469463
>Although things from the UK and Ireland are subbed in English if they're released outside of the UK, often due to different accents and dialects being hard to understand from someone not native to the Isles.
Apart from maybe some Scottish comedy shows I can't think of any examples of this happening
>>
>>79469173
English cunts can't come
>>
>>79468562
kys globalist
>>
dub is cancer
>>
>>79470315
THE WORLD SHOULD HAVE
ONE LANGUAGE
ONE CULTURE
ONE RACE

HOW DARE COUNTRIES NOT SPEAK ONLY ENGLISH
>>
>>79469241
I should totally watch Warcraft in Turkish then. Immersive as fuck!
>>
>>79468388

other sounds in the film are minimized or lost entirely in dubbing.

and sometimes the character's accent or way of talking is an important part of the character or story and often this is lost during dubbing.

i prefer sub-titles. as long as the sub-titles are not made in china, that is.
>>
>>79470498
>other sounds in the film are minimized or lost entirely in dubbing.
Only in countries with shit dubbing studios
>>
>>79469280

Sound s like it was recoder when the guy was taking a massive shit
>>
>>79470498

i would be ok with dubbing if it's done by the producers/director such that important aspects of the film are not lost during dubbing.

if done this way then i would prefer dubbing over sub-titles.
>>
>>79470498
>sometimes the character's accent or way of talking is an important part of the character

Generally, people from other countries don't recognise the intricacies of regional accents in other languages at all though.

Even in English-speaking countries people can have a hard time telling Americans and Canadians, Australian and New Zealanders or even Irish and Scottish apart from the other.
>>
>>79470725

there was a comedy film where the person's being scottish was subject to several comedic scenes and gags and his scottish accent was important in those scenes. in our local-language dub he sounded like any other person in our country and the same as the other characters and his being scottish or even being from another country from other characters' point of view was lost.

there are accents that are instantly recognizable (maybe because the actors exaggerate them) which are lost during dubbing.
>>
>>79470725
>Generally, people from other countries don't recognise the intricacies of regional accents in other languages at all though.

Generally, those kind of people do not watch films from other countries, idiot.

>Even in English-speaking countries people can have a hard time telling Americans and Canadians, Australian and New Zealanders or even Irish and Scottish apart from the other.

If it's not important to the plot then they don't emphasize it, moron.
>>
>>79470440
Fuck you
All the red languages are useless except maybe spanish
English > German/French/Italian and whatever else is in that red area here.
>>
File: 1381819054409.png (85KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1381819054409.png
85KB, 400x400px
>>79468388
Heh
>>
>>79468388
I hate it so much, but I came up on anime so dubbing meant dogshit quality.

>>79468562
You'd be surprised. See those red countries? The people from there really will not watch a movie unless it's dubbed into their language with a full voice cast, no less. They also refuse to read books unless they are translated into their native language, even if they understand english fluently, which I really don't get. If I could read French, I would not be reading a French book translated into english.

It's the one thing I couldn't believe. Fucking Portugal that drugged up wasteland is more cultured than france, spain, italy and germany combined.
>>
>>79469668
I'm surprised nobody uploaded the plane scene in 10 different languages
>>
>>79469668
When did /tv/ get webms with sound?
>>
>>79471723

when /tv/ got webms, legbeard.
>>
>>79468388
fucking disgusting way of tainting and taking away the essence of cinema/tv

everything feels different when you subtract elements from a movie and turn them into an adulterated, easily digestible version for lazy minds, this is most commonly noted with humour, where 80% of the jokes have to be replaced with another completely different joke so the average monkey can laugh

you don't only miss on dialog when watching something dubbed, you miss on culture too, while lowering the overall quality of the experience

t. spaniard
>>
File: 1460151276882s.jpg (2KB, 103x119px) Image search: [Google]
1460151276882s.jpg
2KB, 103x119px
>>79469280
>EL PORTONHODOR
>EL PORTOHODOR
>EL PORTOHODOR
>HODOR

dios bendito
>>
>>79471453
>Generally, those kind of people do not watch films from other countries, idiot.

So you reckon that most non French-speaking viewers can tell the different between say Parisian or Marseillais accents from a movie when the characters are of similar class, occupation etc. And not just assume it's because people have characteristically different voices even if they're from the same town?

Audiences unfamiliar with regional accents use visual clues from the character's clothing, narrative role, mannerisms and their vocalisation of emotional prosody to establish that character.

Accents are not really perceivable without familiarity, or at least context that they exist.
>>
>>79473444
>implying plot would revolve around parisian vs marseille accent instead of comedy where frenchman in usa or scotsman in usa

blithering idiot detected
>>
File: 1480451406830.gif (866KB, 352x224px) Image search: [Google]
1480451406830.gif
866KB, 352x224px
>there's an English dub on the DVD of Come and See of all things
>it's fucking horrible
>wacky accents and overacting everywhere
>everyone sounds like they're in a bad cartoon
>>
>>79468822

I'd agree with you, but when it comes to Arnold and Stallone movies from the 80s, I need my French dub.

That comfy nostalgia feeling.
>>
>>79469059
La Belle et la BĂȘte is better in French.

Especiallt La chanson de Gaston.
>>
>>79468822

italians are exactly the same

i had some of them argue that they were better than the original lol
>>
File: 1487056412813.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1487056412813.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>Continental Europe
>>
File: 1487159348939.gif (2MB, 360x213px) Image search: [Google]
1487159348939.gif
2MB, 360x213px
>>79469280
>People will defend dubbing ITT
>People that claim to be white and have good taste will defend dubbing ITT
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.