[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell about this movie. How good is it? What rating would you give it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5

Tell about this movie. How good is it? What rating would you give it?
>>
>>79459761
8/10 kino
>>
>>79459761

I watched it because of all the hype and I was quite surprised how average it is, it felt like it finished too soon also, as if there was a decent ending that never came.

Also Ryan Gosling should've played Cacey's part.

6.5/10
>>
>>79459832
nah, casey fit the part fine. Ryan wouldn't have elevated it or made it better. Really wasn't a demanding role.
>>
>>79459761
it's a good movie, but the ending was kinda underwhelming.
>>
>>79460018
the underwhelming-ness was the one of the best aspect
life just kinda goes on, no catharsis, no big climactic happy end
>>
>>79460018
Not enough gun fights for ya?
>>
>>79459761
8/10
won't be rewatching it for like a year though because it left me feeling a bit sad
>>
>>79459761
9/10 MOTY
>>
File: IMG_5251.png (879KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5251.png
879KB, 710x842px
AHHHHHHH GET ME OUT OF THIS BORING MOVIE AHHHHHHH
>>
>>79459761
8.75/10
very good but never need to rewatch. Felt a lot like boyhood in that it's very mundane. Didn't like boyhood but this was better because there was actual Drama going on.
>>
It's pretty flawless in achieving what it sets out to achieve. It's nothing new or even unique, just a really good slice of life drama
>>
>>79459832
Could you be more of a pleb?
>>
Pure undiluted suffering kino
>>
This film was great, but it does have a few flaws. I think Kenneth Lonergans cameo is probably the worst decision. It felt really out of place, especially because of the subject matter. Totally took me out of the film.
>>
>>79459761
Not even being contrarian but I thought this was mediocre. And I'm a big kino guy.

It was basically half a movie puffed up to full length. It *was* realistic, and the characterization and acting was good, but there was almost no story. The way the story resolves was just a simple reversal of something that happened in the first act, literally someone agreeing to something they turned down at the beginning, with no real change in the circumstances that led them to turning it down in the first place.

I found the directing style pretty average and at times even ham-fisted. The classical music in dramatic flashbacks felt tacked on and didn't fit the tone of the movie, like the director was trying desperately to add some gravitas but didn't choose the right music for the scene or something.

Also, and this is more of a pet peeve, but I *hate* directors casting themselves in pointless narcissistic cameos. Seriously the scene where the director shows up was the most unnecessary cameo outside of an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

When the movie ended, I did a literal 'what the fuck' arm gesture, because it actually felt like the movie was going to continue for another ten-twenty minutes at least but it ends so abruptly it felt completely random.
>>
>>79459761

5/10

Two hours of a man bickering with his nephew and not much else.
>>
>>79461275
best review

also 9/10 michelle ambush can't we just have lunch scene
>>
>>79459761
10/10
Greatest film of the decade.
>>
>>79461614

STTTOOPPP ITTTT
>>
>>79460795
So.just like life is in reality then ?
>>
>>79461465
Too many words for a review that is full of buzzwords and memes
>>
>>79461634
But its true.
>>
>>79461675
tl;dr the emperor has no clothes.

6/10 - just for the performances
>>
>>79461465
This review is 100% spot-on. /tv/ is memeing the fuck out of admiration for this flick. It's decent, and that's all.

The whole reunion with the wife thing was 10/10 of course, but there were tons of flaws.
>>
4/10

boring as fuck
bland a fuck
not offensive for me to say i hate it
>>
>>79461889
I bet you loved John wick tho
>>
>>79461918
didn't even watch the first one

don't get me wrong, I'd love a """"boring"""" kino,like synedoche, but this was just bland as fuck familia
I guess I know wich bits of the movie people liked but for me it was just "how to make a movie 101"

sorry friendo
>>
File: 1487093443752.png (573KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1487093443752.png
573KB, 710x842px
>>79460972
>>
>>79459761
4/10
It was alright but there was no hook. It felt really boring and I just wanted it to end.

It was just
>oh this happened
>oh that happened too
>>
Cinema snob had it on his "best of 2016" list so i watched it.

By the end i got it, casey's character started to care about shit again, but it just felt boring.
>>
9/10
>>
File: 1471801629663.jpg (85KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471801629663.jpg
85KB, 720x720px
>>79461496
>>79461987
>>79461889
>>
kino/10
>>
>>79459761
9.5/10
>>
Why are people using boring as criticism? Also if you complain about ending you are literally retarded.
>>
>>79461987
Pleb
>>
>>79461999
>casey's character started to care about shit again
>By the end i got it
no you didn't
>>
>>79462097
>Why are people using boring as criticism?

Because that's how we feel about the movie. What else are we supposed to say? The story and characters just didn't interest me enough and that made it boring.
>>
>>79462097
>Why are people using boring as criticism?
really makes you think.
>>
what's some other Casey kino aside from Jesse James
>>
I find some things about weird too, like slooppy weird

Like how they show they rejecting women and then staring at the dudes at the bar weirdly and I thought, "is he gay or something?"

and I guess more people thought it too since the poster as him and his ex just to show he was not gay I guess

I don't like how they focus the whole scream on the callbacks to early scenes like how the husband of his ex makes the baby stop crying, It was too much in your face
>>
Arrival – I liked but it didn't make me cry
Fences – made me cry
Hacksaw Ridge – made me cry
Hell or High Water – I liked but it didn't make me cry
Hidden Figures – made me YAAAS QUEEENN
La La Land – made me cry
Lion – made me cry
Manchester by the Sea – made me cry, call my whole family and tell them I love them
Moonlight – Haven't watched, hopefully it'll make me cry

The films this year have been great.
>>
>>79462138
literally this
>>
>>79462169
Silence is leagues above most of those and wasn't even nominated, nice memes
>>
>>79462156
10/10 performance in good will hunting. Gone baby gone was good, kino cameo's in the american pie movies.
>>
>>79462169
you're gay
>>
>>79462162
>Like how they show they rejecting women and then staring at the dudes at the bar weirdly and I thought, "is he gay or something?"
you can't be this retarded.
>>
>>79462169
X Men Apocolypse made me cry, but that movie only had 50%
>>
>>79462162
what
>>
>>79462192
>Silence

Silence didn't make me cry, and made me almost hate the Japanese. They were such savages.
>>
>>79461961
Stick to capeshit
>>
>>79462220
come the fuck on
I went to the movie without knowing anything but the name of the movie
You show me a dude rejecting women and then he stares at dudes on a bar and throws a fit of rage of him

You'd clearly think he is a repressed gay dude who is angry because of it
I thought the movie would be about it after that scene

guess not
>>
>>79462254
>Silence didn't make me cry
what the fuck kind of metric is that?
>>
>>79462290
You are fucking warped. You immediately think a man that doesn't want to fuck some bar slut must be gay?
>>
>>79462138
That's fine but it tells us more about you than about the film
>>
>>79462305
It's my metric. If a movie is so emotionally involving I get driven to tears it was a fantastic movie, and one I'll definitely watch again. I've already seen Manchester and Fences twice.
>>
>>79462345
it wasn't just a fucking bar slut faggot, there were 3 women he rejected then he started staring at dudes,

it is fucking weird
>>
>>79462290
spend less time online, for your own sake
>>
I know Jay and Mike won't review this cause they're too fucking stupid.
>>
>>79462290
protip: you might be a closeted homo that is projecting.
>>
>>79462290
Wow dude
>>
>>79462367

The only thing it tells you about me is that I didn't care for the plot and characters of this particular movie. That does not automatically mean I only enjoy Transformers, like some people actually believe.
>>
>>79462290
>>79462381
right off the bat the movie shows that he's an angry person who doesn't give a fuck. The movie goes on to elaborate on that. You're the only retarded who was wishing he would start sucking dick.
>>
>>79462432
what fucking ever
I'm pretty fucking sure more people thought it and this is why they shoved a girl on the poster
>>
This is a potentially good story extremely poorly told. First of all, the pace of the dialogue reminds me of a poor college or high school production in which you can count "1-2-3" between each exchange of dialogue, meaning there is no flow or rhythm to the dialogue. I sat there saying, "Who directed this film! Who edited it!"

Second, the film is visually boring. Most scenes are filmed with a camera on a tripod, and the room in which they're taking place (living room, bedroom, tavern, car, etc.) are stage-sets. The camera is still, and people act in front of it as if they're on a stage--or in a TV sitcom or detective show. The camera rarely MOVES. This is a MOVIE; is not the camera supposed to MOVE?

Third, I can't believe awards are being given to the director and to Casey Affleck. Affleck has a purely one-dimensional role except when he punches people in the face--they look like "set-up scenes" as the director says, "OK, now go into a sudden rage." His acting grew tiring very fast. (No, I don't care about rumors of his off-screen behavior in evaluating his performance anymore than I cared that Judy Garland was addicted to booze or pills.)

I would have walked out, but I wanted to see the ending, based on the spoilers I've read in several reviews.

What a contrast this movie is to "Moonlight". There the dialogue flows beautifully and is written stunningly. The camera work is amazing; it won't win any awards for cinematography, but it should--not a single shot is of a sunrise, moon rise, vast vistas, etc., but, seen on a big screen with excellent surround stereo, every scene is composed to perfect effect--as expertly done as Hitchcock used to compose every corner of the screen. And the acting is stunning. Night and day, the two films-- really, a mini-course is superb film making vs. inferior film making.
>>
>>79462169
I like this post
>>
>>79462378
You've got to be a woman
>>
>bar slut "accidentally" spills beer on him to start a conversation

Do normies actually do this
>>
>>79462554
yes
>>
>>79462466
No, you just think about dicks too much.
>>
>>79462169
>The films this year have been great.
when you have almost 0 standards or have seen less than 20 movies, yeah
>>
>>79462466
>and this is why they shoved a girl on the poster
>possibly THE defining moment of the movie
>it's on the poster so you don't think he's gay
serious question: do you make it a point to say you're attracted to women so your parents don't think you're gay?
>>
>>79462600
it is literally a 3 minutes scene that isn't even that good
>>
>>79462550
No, but I've been reading a lot of books written by women lately.

It's insanely hard to find ones that are not romance, self-help, fantasy or YA trash. Insanely hard.
>>
>>79462162
It's actually insane how people are this retarded. The women were initially attracted to him because of his good looks, but then soured because he was obviously anti social. People are naturally repulsed by people like that, it happens a lot of times in the movie if you haven't realized.
>>
>>79462646
says the homo who thinks they made a poster so you wouldn't think the main character is gay.
>>
>>79462589
Nonsense! How are any of those films bad? They all deserve oscars in my opinion, I haven't been disappointed by a single oscar nominated movie. Lion was a big surprise, since it's just about a google search really.
>>
>>79462687
they showed him clearly rejecting 3 women then he started staring at dudes.
at this point of the movie they didn't show his motivations for his anger, the conclusion is obvious.
>>
>>79462518
Quality bait
>>
>>79462772
>the conclusion is obvious.
to closeted homos.
>>
>>79462686
Virginia Woolf, Jean Rhys and Ursula Le Guin are the only ones I especially like
>>
>>79462772
they also show him having social interactions with everyone, being awkward and not overtly emotional about the death of his brother. He literally showed zero emotion. So when he stared at the guy, he did with a dead stare, not with lust. Only a retarded repressed faggot would think he was checking the guy out
>>
>>79462774
not an argument
>>
>>79462847
but all of that happened after him staring at guys
this is why I find the movie so weirdly put together
>>
>>79462873
>but all of that happened after him staring at guys
go rewatch the movie only try not to be retarded when you do.
>>
>>79462772
>1 woman who's shit he just cleaned up
>1 woman who shouted murder at him and treated him like shit
>1 run of the mill bar slut

Breaking news, in the the film he rejects even more women. There's a woman with massive tits who badly wants to fuck him and he doesn't even try to talk to her, just sits there for 30 minutes in silence.
>>
>>79462901
not rewatching this garbage
>>
>>79462919
>Breaking news, in the the film he rejects even more women.
BUT

it happens after we know his motivations, and that's the key point
>>
>>79462943
you're retarded. The movie puts off revealing why so it has some emotional impact. They're not going to put it up front just because some retarded closeted homo might confuse his detachment as homosexuality. You're literally the only literal retard with this point of view.
>>
>>79462919
The guy is a broken mess, who wants nothing to do with anything in the town where he burned his family alive.
>>
i'm not one for everything having to be all sunshine and roses, i do like serious subject matter, but it was extremely depressing also was the message "woman ruin everything" ?

good film, just maybe too downbeat, even the humour felt sad.
>>
>>79462861
The script in MBS felt very real conversations which real people have. Its also effective portray of grief and caseys performance was amazing. I didnt like some of the editing but it wasnt that bad. The camera work was static and it was fitting and well done no need to circle camera around characters like in 1st scene in Moonlight which was abysmal. Performances in moonlight were good but the story itself wasnt interesting at all.
>>
>>79463001
I need to know a little more about my characters than "he angry af" to start caring about them

by the time the reveal happend the movie had already lost me
>>
>>79463111
stick to transformers you mouth breather.
>>
>reposting from the thread a couple weeks ago

This is the first movie I've ever watched that explores the concept of male grief as more than just some obstacle to stoically overcome on your path to redemption. Most times there is no redemption; there's just living with it.

Men handle powerful emotions differently because we're socialized to. Men don't have natural social support systems like women do; men don't know how to accurately convey feelings of intense sadness because no one ever taught them how to and they never got a chance to practice it because no one gives two flying fucks about your problems if you're a guy.

So you just fucking stumble along and try to make sense of things on your own. But it takes time because you have to figure it out on the fly. And that's the crux of the story: Lee and his nephew are both completely unprepared to handle the deaths in their lives, and neither one really knows how to give, so it's just this awkward journey where they emotionally bump against each other and eventually establish some mutual understanding of the pain they both share.

That's the way it's always been with guys. No one is going to watch this movie because "muh sexual assault allegations" but it's exposition of this concept possibly makes it one of the most important films of the 21st century thus far. If you're a guy or you have one in your life that you love, for fuck's sake, please watch it; I'm not intending to be pithy here, but will at least give you some perspective on why you/they might act the way you/they do during emotionally difficult times.
>>
>>79463154
sorry I don't pretend to like this boring shitty oscar bait
>>
>>79463042
>but it was extremely depressing also was the message "woman ruin everything" ?
how would you even get that from the movie?
The message is life sucks and some times people can't really deal with it.
>>
>>79463176
>sorry I don't pretend to not be a retard
ftfy
>>
>>79463042
If this film has a message it's just that there are some things in life people cannot get over, but there may still be room for connections.

At least the film ends with Casey in a better position than he was at the start.
>>
>>79463215
projecting
>>
>>79463157
>No one is going to watch this movie because "muh sexual assault allegations"
lol, it literally only stopped like three people, the two accusers and that stupid squint cunt.
>>
>>79460972

>DELET ME
>>
>>79463249
parroting
>>
>>79459832
Absolute plebrian
>>
>I can't beat it
>>
>>79463442
>just beat it!
>they start dancing
>>
>>79461396
I didn't mind it but it was a bit strange how there was an additional shot of the character walking along the buildings. It was as if Casey's character was still considering going after him but thought better of it as he was with his nephew.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.