[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starship Troopers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 272
Thread images: 28

File: file.png (396KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
396KB, 658x370px
So i'm currently rewatching this movie so i can watch the RLM re:view episode about it later

Is it kino? is Paul Verhoeven based?
>>
>>79434194
absolute bug-kino
>>
WHats RLMs tax policy?
>>
shifty Jack gets his rlm threads deleted but still has to reach a quota

you bald piece of shit
>>
>>79434239

somebody please explain this new tax-meme to me

and pls no bully
>>
its a bit of a mess overall with the constant jumping between the violent battlescenes, the interpersonal dramas and satirical cutaways but still entertaining and memorable

won't go down as a masterpiece as I suspect PV hoped it would, but he has Robocop for that so no big deal
>>
>>79434194

why would Rico ever choose Carmen over Diz?

one is a stuck-up bitch the other loyal and qt gf material
>>
>>79434835
One of them's hot the other has flapjack tits
>>
File: file.png (208KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
208KB, 500x279px
>>79434859

>Diz
>ugly
>>
>>79434946
she's cute but the tits ruin it
i'd pass
>>
>>79434968

they aren't that bad 2bh

nothing a boob job couldn't fix
>>
>>79434194
It's perfect in what it sets out to do and a lot smarter than most people give it credit for.
>>
>>79434194
it is kino, verhoeven is based. however, the book is better and it has the exact opposite message.

>>79434279
grrm once criticized tolkien about how he never describes what aragorn's tax policy is after becoming king.

some think it's a jokeful jab, others see it as a sign of his autistic retardation.
>>
>>79434835
Because he's an empty-headed moron, just like her. That's the point.
>>
>>79435219
>the book is better and it has the exact opposite message
is it a pro fascism book?
>>
File: JUST.jpg (42KB, 808x467px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
42KB, 808x467px
Diz is better and aged like wine.

Carmen aged like milk.
>>
File: 14547606707.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
14547606707.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>79434194
Invasion was better.
>>
>>79435076
wow they are saggy nothings
>>
>>79434194
Pretty good, but Paulieboy's extreme fear of nationalism stopped him from appreciating how great the book is. I get that he lived through Nazi occupation and all, but if you compare the book and movie, Heinlein comes off as thoughtful and intelligent, while Verhoeven seems kinda shrill.
>>
>>79435271
E.T?
>>
>>79435265
Kiiind of...
It idealizes a society run by citizen-soldiers. More like an ancient Greek city state than Nazi Germany.
>>
>>79435265
sort of. heinlein is a complicated man. he writes of an idealized militarist state where only people who served can vote. (this isn't necessarily military service, but often is) his argument is that only people who risked their lives or gave up on personal things for communal service can vote to serve the common good without decadence. the society in starship troopers is very progressive compared to the society he lived in in terms of gender equality. it's a good read, thought provoking in a kitsch way.
>>
>>79435418
I recently read the book. It's alright. Too much fuckin' talking and going in circles about ideology.

I liked the power armor concept, though.

Check out "The Forever War", it was inspired by Heinlein.
>>
>>79434194
Honestly one of the best movies of all time.

Totally great design and world-building. The clash of the "90210" characters and the excessive violence and gore is unique and totally engaging. The two go together like orange and teal.

The characters, while "vapid", are totally likable. Lots of charisma, even if Casper Van Diem never went onto much else. He was made for this role.

The effects hold up. Michael Ironside is fucking fantastic. On top of all that, the movie is funny as fuck. The satire is at times so blatant it's subtle (the teacher cackling, the knife in the hand, etc.)

The politics of the movie are as relevant as ever (Buenos Ares was an inside job).

The movie works as both an indictment and a celebration of fascism. It's sort of a mirror for the viewer in that way, whether intentional or not.
>>
>>79435271

>that plastic surgery

>that fake sun-tan

how horrifying
>>
File: 977[1].jpg (135KB, 662x977px) Image search: [Google]
977[1].jpg
135KB, 662x977px
>>79435271

And here's Diz 20 years later

she really aged like wine
>>
>>79435510
>an idealized militarist state

It's not militarist really. Established by veterans sure, but the vast bulk of their federal service is non-military. Their military is tiny relative to their population and extremely hard to qualify for.

Everyone else just spends a few years working in a sewage treatment plant or something. The bulk of the citizens have zero military experience.

On top of that, they don't allow serving members of the military to vote, so if you extend your federal service and become career military, you'll not recieve your franchise until you're discharged.

So yeah, really it's a less militaristic society than the modern USA, with it's fuckheug military and significant influence of the military-industrial complex.
>>
>>79434194
n
>>
>>79435271

Look at what entropy and bad choices did to a once beautiful creature...
>>
The third act gets really dull, imo. Still a great movie but the repetitiveness of certain stuff drains some of the excitement.
>>
>>79435723
you're probably right, it's been ages since i last read, i guess the book being about the military left that impression on me.
>>
>ywn be as handsome as Johnny Rico

DIE IN MY SLEEP ALREADY
>>
Anyone else find the action a little dull?

They just stand around firing off round after round. I think some semblance of military authenticity to the action would have made it a bit more exciting.
>>
>>79434194
I recommend reading the book too even though it's completely different. I haven't put much thought into it but every now and then I wonder what Verhoeven thought of the book. Was he exaggerating the point? Did he just want another bloody Sci-Fi?
>>
>>79436088
But if they actually used any kind of tactics or intelligence, that would defeat Verhoeven's point simplistic point that the military is bad.

>>79436142
He hates the book and genuinely thinks that it advocates fascism.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/paul-verhoeven-slams-starship-troopers-remake-fascist-update-perfect-trump-presidency-1201747155/
>>
>>79435412

Neve Campbell's are way waaaaaay worse.
>>
>>79436142
He didn't read it. He heard it was fascist, read three pages, then just did his own thing.

The script wasn't even Starship Troopers originally, they just tweaked it and added the name for brand recognition.
>>
>>79436596

kek
>>
>>79436596
>>79436724
Wow, honestly just lost a little respect for him.
>>
>>79435761
Fucking charlie sheen
>>
File: 1486260039887.jpg (35KB, 750x494px) Image search: [Google]
1486260039887.jpg
35KB, 750x494px
i furiously masturbated to all the titty scenes when i was a kid

shit was glorious
>>
>>79437031
Xbox DVD had 8x slo-mo for those titty flops.
>>
>>79436963
He then complained about critics labeling his film as promoting fascism, saying 'they just didn't get it', without any sense of irony.

Still, I love his films. No one's perfect.
>>
>>79434194
Yes, Paul Verhoeven is great.
Starship Troopers is a great movie.
I recommend listening to the commentary track on the dvd/bluray. It's really quite informative.
>>
>the west under trump's leadership = based federation
>bugs = muslims

When will sky marshal Trump start the extermination wars.
>>
>>79437784

>implying the west is under Trump's leadership right now
>>
>>79434194

When do we get the Forever War movie, I want my time dilated dome fight.
>>
>>79434194
It was an anti-fascism polemic that made fascism look cool as fuck.
>>
>>79434968
>i'd pass
Have you ever been with a woman before?
>>
>>79435265
Its a long running meme to pretend you like the book every time the film is brought up.
It has multiple points to troll on. You get to pretend to be edgy and that you are pro actual fascism and the book itself is very poorly written.

His vision of society is kind of naive. I only got half way through before i gave up on the book but the soldiers are all very one dimensional. The most honest and caring people you could imagine who only want the best for everyone else. Everyone seems like a child in their genuine good will. Its no surprise to me that Verhoeven dropped the book and made a film about a conspiracy where their society needs pointless war to function.
>>
Starship Troopers anime OVA was better.
>>
>>79437339
Pretty sure that was Heinlein who ended up in that situation.
>>
>>79438229
Which is why its such a great movie. Got to enjoy it twice. Once as a young teenager and again as a slightly older teenager.
>>
File: 1486661750623.jpg (69KB, 750x763px) Image search: [Google]
1486661750623.jpg
69KB, 750x763px
>>79436963

You have to understand he grew up during WW2, during Nazi occupation of his home country and then had to watch it get turned into a warzone and get bombed to shit. Anything slightly fascist or pro-militaristic in any sense isn't going to be his type of jam.

And honestly Starship Troopers isn't a particularly great book when just judged on its own. Unless you like really one dimensional characters spouting off really simplistic naive utopian ideals about how military service could cure all of society's ills (written by a guy who never did actual proper military service but fetishised and idolized the fuck out of the army)
>>
>>79437974
That was a better book because characters had some flaws and the whole homo life thing was so weird.
>>
>>79434194
The movie is pussy liberal propaganda. Read the book, you fucking troglodyte.
>>
>>79434859
>>79434859
this
>>
>>79438617
You need to give me more than this. I cant rage.
>>
>>79438580

the part where one of the butch dykes got drunk and naked or something and they had to sneak her back into her room to avoid a scandal was hilarious.

Love the ending so much.
>>
>>79438653
>>79434859
Diz is way WAY prettier and skinny girls generally have small tits. Small tits are nicer when you have lived to see big tits start to sag.
>>
File: green plastic violen.jpg (270KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
green plastic violen.jpg
270KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>79438675
The ending was so boring. They start cloning soldiers with a hive mind who then can then manage to communicate with the enemy so peace is declared and everyone who doesnt want to get turned into a Borg goes to live in a reservation.

I was like wtf is this.
>>
>>79436596
He is not wrong that the remake will suck but he is a total Hollywood fag claiming that trump is fascist or that the original starship troopers was in any way subversive.

>Look at me being a rebel entirely supporting the status quo!
>>
>>79438723
IT'S A FUCKING FIDDLE. CUNT.
>>
>>79438757

You forgot the real ending, where the few non-clone humans that are alive build a spaceship to go to another galaxy and are stopped by God who kills everybody because YOU BROKE MUH XPERIMENT LULZ SO RANDUMB[/spoiler] but then JK EVERYBODY LIVES AGAIN LOL.
>>
>>79438723

>plastic violin

would this even produce a tone?
>>
>>79439362
It would in the future
>>
>>79439317
Was I supposed to turn a few more pages or was there a sequel?

I'm trying to work up the energy to read Ender's Game sequels. Ender's Game also had a vague fascist message but it wasn't a shit book.

>Do you trust an enemy that will outgrow you to treat you kindly or do you strike them before that can happen?
>>
>>79439386
Its what happens when everyone does military service. Everything is just better. Shush dont ask questions.
>>
>>79436596
>that would defeat Verhoeven's point simplistic point that the military is bad
I assumed the point was that a whole society designed around war-mongering is bad, not that the military itself is bad.
>>
>>79438757

What I liked was the MC being reunited with his gal. And after all the time that passed I was able to let an UNDERSTANDING ending go since it honestly made sense since from day 1 they never had a way to communicate with the enemy, war was mostly a political tool anyway
>>
>>79439489
Oh I was relieved when they were reunited too . That was something I found myself surprised by.

We need a Catch 22 remake.
>>
>>79439439
The majority of the population that serves are placed in positions outside of the military. It's a book that glorifies those that chose to place the nation/people/society above their own selves.
>>
>>79439667
The idea that people should have to earn voting is well intentioned but naive. I didn't agree with his message and the book was also very poorly written.
>>
>>79439807
>naive

naive is giving everyone a vote
>>
>>79439807
I believe it makes sense, especially when those that choose to not serve are usually better off financially than those that serve.

You can chose to live for yourself, but don't expect society to bend to your will.
>>
>>79439829
You don't understand democracy. You are supposed to vote selfishly and then the government tried to meet those needs.
The greater good is the needs of the majority.

Anything else is a corruption of that where you take away peoples ability to choose for themselves.
>>
>>79439870
>People with voting rights that can decide public policy are better off financially than people who cant.

Thats why people call it a badly written book. Its divorced from reality. I know you are taking his society completely at face value and that is fine but its just a bit childish.
>>
>>79439998
It's a thought experiment in many ways.

It's not supposed to reflect the current society.
>>
>>79439948
>You don't understand democracy. You are supposed to vote selfishly and then the government tried to meet those needs.
>The greater good is the needs of the majority.
The underlying assuming being that even stupid people know what's good for them, which is the problem.
>>
>>79440208
Stupid people think they are smart people and that they know whats best for everyone else. Then they do shitty things. That is why giving everyone the vote is the least shitty version of democracy.
>>
>>79435575
>(Buenos Ares was an inside job).

Stop this meme, unless you have something more concrete then bitching about how the meteorite doesn't follow the rules of physics because most things in the movie don't follow the rules of physic
>>
>>79440396
The director, anon...
>>
>>79440396
Its because the movie is a hack job, read the book. It is all explained. It was no inside job and the bugs used the same attack multiple times. But the bugs aren't actually relevant.

Read the book.
>>
>>79440396
meteorites don't melt white genes
>>
They expect us to want to live side by side with bugs when they commit so many murders and rapes and work jobs for a fraction of what a human is paid. We are bombing their planets. Its on the news and then we get bug refugees.

How does this make any sense??
>>
>>79438502
This.
>>
>>79439317
Yeah, that was plain stupid. He should be embarrassed.
>>
>>79440981
No, as it is specifically stated that most of those that serve are in positions outside of the military.
>>
>>79440396

There is no absolutely concrete evidence, but you're right that there are better arguments than physics ones; it's sci-fi action, there can be a meteor attack if they want.

Better arguments include: the idea that a meteor would go completely unnoticed by the Federation, a society with interstellar capabilities and a giant military presence, is ridiculous. We're better at tracking asteroids and meteors *today* than that.

Second, there is no evidence presented of Arachnid aggression in the movie, ever. They exist in a "quarantine zone" and are not ever described as leaving it. Of the three Bug planets featured in the movie, all three of them are invaded by the Federation, and the Bugs only ever attack in defense (though they do strike first in such cases, since they're not morons).

Third, because fascism always needs an Other or an Enemy, whether that's Jews, Foreigners, or Bugs.
>>
>Hurr le ebil fascist society and they dress like nazis!
>Meanwhile there wasn't a single poor person (other than BA survivors)
>Safety considered paramount with the execution of a murder sentenced quickly, and shown to all
>Constant updates, clarity and transparency of government via infobites
>Citizens have to serve the state, so you don't have social parasites leaching the system

>Everyone is brainwashed to kill
Did they forget about Rico's parents? OR everyone else that joined non-MI trades?

Why is Reddit Letter Media referenced so much here? These guys are fucking TOOLS. Also, Mike is obviously the driving force here, the Jay guy just seems like a coattail ass licker that interjects his shitty opinions every once and a while. Garbage.
>>
>>79441052
Its a shit book m8. The writer was a tard. It doesn't matter how many serve in or out of his fantasy.
>>
>>79441080
Read the fucking book you troglodyte.
>>
>>79441080
Da White Man is the enemy of corporate fascism now.

Feels good to be the good guy.
>>
>>79441134
Not an argument.
>>
>>79439362

Given that it sounds fairly electric in the movie, it might just be electric. In the future we will not need amps.
>>
>>79441193
Its still a shit book written by a trashy sci fi author.

It would have benefited from some sort of conspiracy that was uncovered and prevented by the government to at least acknowledge the potential for the abuse of a system with limited voting rights.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStBkFIxu1U

Unironically God tier.
>>
>>79441334
Critical theory nonsense. Maybe it doesn't have to bad for once. Maybe not every future for mankind is dystopian.
>>
>>79441165

I have read the book, but I wasn't talking about the book, so what's your point? The Arachnids in the book ARE expansionistic, which brings them into conflict with the equally expansionistic humans. It's described in a "well, someone gets this planet, and we don't intend to share, so we'll fight to see who deserves it" way.

The movie Arachnids are never shown to be strategic aggressors (but yes, they stage ambushes and traps and such in tactical situations).
>>
>>79441382
The book suffers from everyone being seemingly retarded and stunted in development.
>>
>tfw RLM made you listen to the SST OST again
Why is it so fucking good?
>>
>>79441344
>peace terrorist
every time
>>
>>79441625
Its been a thing in the US and Europe too. They could do anything up to and including execution if they felt you were affecting the war effort.
>>
I don't understand what Mike's point was about people being replaced. Literally everyone in our current society gets replaced by younger people too his dystopian point makes no fucking sense. What is supposed to be basic character growth he construes as brainwash. He's also making a logical leap about the romance as it's shown earlier that the other male love interest is clearly an asshole in typical highschool drama shit you would expect from a b movie.

The reviewers who originally reviewed this were not wrong at all. The people who are trying to translate this movie as having other meaning are just retards trying to pull meaning from a thoughtless b movie that the director just went with. It relies entirely on autistic contrivances like so many other movie theories.
>>
>>79442169
Yeah and Robocop was about how corporatism is A-ok!
>>
>>79442222
People dont want to go over every inch of a film for 20 plus minutes usually. Unless its select lads and drinks are involved.

Sometimes its easier to just compare your thoughts with a reviewer.
>>
I'm honestly shocked that the studio funded a movie like this, there's clearly a lot of money put into it
>>
>>79434194
This is kinographia pura. Go for it.
>>
>>79442202
>trying to compare this pile of shit to an actual well directed and acted movie with a real plot message and not a contrived one purely from theories

disgusting
>>
>>79442169

It's not about just being replaced - it's that they are literally cogs in a war machine that only exists to perpetuate itself. Our Heroes are not heroes, they are just the latest iteration of the same pointless thing. There's no change or growth in the Federation.
>>
>>79442348
Na you were BTFO. Yes I was the one who made the robocop comment.
>>
>>79440328
Isn't it the only version of democracy we've ever tried?
>>
>>79442169
Its just a grinder. Nothing is accomplished.
There is a review somewhere that points out that all their military insignia looks like bugs too.

The humans are just bugs in this society. Just as disposable.
>>
>>79442412
Read a book nigger. Jesus Christ.
>>
File: 1464439807713.jpg (37KB, 349x451px) Image search: [Google]
1464439807713.jpg
37KB, 349x451px
>RLM states that fascism is bad
>/tv/ will now hate RLM and call it shills and libertard feminist cucks
>>
>>79442477
Actual fascism is obviously bad. What Hollywood and American media calls fascism might actually be good and necessary for our survival to not end up as corporate slaves.
>>
>>79442397
Robocop: conspiracy revealed and corporate heads of the company are exposed and brought to justice

Starship Troopers: Nothing even close to this is addressed about the government. Every idea is just double meaning autistic theories about bad acting and plot.

how was I btfo again?
>>
>>79442483
You listen to what some fat internet faggot thinks AFTER you enjoyed the movie. Why would you do it any other way?

I wouldnt watch a spoiler free review. I wanna compare thoughts.
>>
>>79442506
I dont even have to meme arrow words into your mouth. You described my point exactly. He makes these types of films criticizing society. It suddenly just densest apply to starship troopers because it went over your head or it hurts your Muhrine pride.
>>
>>79442506
I mean I realize I am replying twice but the film is about how people who mindlessly support the American military are insects.
>>
>>79442429
ANY society can be boiled down to this. This is how these theories gain so much traction. They use ambiguous ideas that can be applied to anything.
>>
File: 1456196432479.jpg (82KB, 514x594px) Image search: [Google]
1456196432479.jpg
82KB, 514x594px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsR4O4W0w

>y-yeah, fascism is bad but it'll never reach that level of bad
>>
>>79442626
Okay.
>>
>>79442659
You have no interest in other peoples thoughts on any subject?
Oh oh. Better prove your genius soon or people will think your a retard.
>>
>>79434194

Remember the two main characters are Narcissists in love with themselves. They both have character extensions, these extensions are what they follow, but eventually the narcissists fall out of love with themselves and come back together as they are fated to do.

this is Casper Van Dien's caharacter extension
>>79434946

I didn't see great tits' character extension in the thread. She is in love with her career which manifests in her character extension.

Basically the film is about; screw your career, get married and have a meaningful relationship.
>>
>>79442740
There is no point arguing with genuine indoctrinated retards.
>>
>>79434835
Threadly reminder that Rico killed Diz by pulling out those claws, IRL that injury was easily survivable and with their medial technology she would have been just fine.
>>
So, Buenos Aires was an inside job, but what resource were they attempting to gather from the bugs?

Was it the brain bug?
>>
>>79442767
what the fucking shit did you call me you little bitch? fucking shillery posters i swear. kill them all
>>
File: Johnny Snake Solid Rico..jpg (7KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny Snake Solid Rico..jpg
7KB, 250x188px
>>79442782
He needed that character motivation so that he could feel the pain necessary to become Johnny Snake.
>>
>>79442822
Join the muh rines already. Someone needs to motivate Syrians to move to the US and undercut the price of labor.
>>
>>79442640
literally one sentence he makes that's just backstory about that universe, that's the entire theory lmao
>>
>>79441281
It probably has the amp built into it. Pretty sure with FTL tech they can put an amp into an electric instrument.
>>
>>79436634
>Neve Campbell's are way waaaaaay worse.

Denise Richards also only looked good in clothes, she had tremendously awful fakes
>>
>>79442697
high level trolling.
>>
>>79443071
I'm getting paid €50 an hour to call you stupid. Does that seem retarded to you?
>>
>>79442412

No, we've done plenty of others. Constitutional Monarchy (Britain 1066 - ~1832), Direct Democracy by an exclusive demos (Ancient Athens), class-based republican democracy (Rome and the Senate of patricians and the plebian Tribunes)... plenty in which it wasn't one man, one vote.
>>
>>79442954

That's more of less what I meant. He doesn't need an external amp.

I mean, I don't know, but it's a sci-fi movie. Guy has a green plastic fiddle, and when he fiddles it, it makes fiddle music. Apparently they can do that.
>>
File: sst-poster1.jpg (511KB, 1100x1630px) Image search: [Google]
sst-poster1.jpg
511KB, 1100x1630px
>>
>>79443198
Starship Troopers Too was better. The religious shit was cack handed.
>>
>>79443339
You don't even know which posts are mine. Starship trooper threads are so much fun. Its hard to tell who is trolling and who is a retarded American. Id like to think people are being genuine but who knows.

Americans are some of the most brainwashed and stupid people alive.
>>
>>79443227
2 was The Asylum tier

At least 3 tried to recapture aspects of what made the first good, even if it didn't really succeed in the same way Robocop 2 was like a cheap knockoff of the original
>>
>>79443423
2 was more enjoyable. The brain parasites were genuinely scary and posed a threat to the federation.

The planet sized brain bug just seemed stupid.
>>
I just watched it for the first time. I was fucking wincing at the scenes were they're hauling the brain bug out and then torturing it in a lab.
>>
>>79443579

Then you managed to actually get Verhoeven's aim. It's surprisingly hard to get it the first time.
>>
File: brainbug.jpg (29KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
brainbug.jpg
29KB, 500x250px
>>79443579
>He didnt want to fuck the Brain bug right in the brain pussy.
>>
>>79435398
WHY DID THE ASIAN GIRL DIE WTFFFF
>>
>>79443711

Apparently everyone was, because fucking nobody got the satire when it was released. Other than maybe "I think there's satire here, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's just the propaganda reel parts."
>>
>>79443888

I mean, you can keep calling people reddit if you want, but this is a rare /tv/ thread where people are actually discussing the material. What are you trying to accomplish? Make everyone except baneposters go away?
>>
>>79443850
>>79443888
I thought they were future Nazis and a criticism of the US military but exposure current day multicult propaganda was low at that point so I didn't think "Omg worst thing eva".
Just thought their society had a few cracks in it.
>>
>>79443711
The point was to dehumanize the bugs and justify going to war against them simply because they're the Other

They posed no threat to humanity (Buenos Aires was an inside job), and only were a danger when humans encroached on their planets

congrats, you completely proved Verhoeven right
>>
>>79443958
He was calling you reddit either way it seems. He just needs some attention.
>>
>>79443545
I like Robocop 2 but it's definitely lame as fuck and copies the original without quite getting what the original was saying.
>>
>>79443958

1997 was a major low in American militarism and propaganda, at least in the public consciousness. The Cold War was over for 6-8 years depending on when you count, and 9-11 wasn't for another 4 years. America was at peace (minor conflicts notwithstanding) and nobody really threatened it.

So while yes, they were future Nazis, it didn't really strike a chord with America as it existed at the time. It's frightening how appropriate it became after 2001-3.
>>
>>79441584
because Basil P was a fucking god
>>
>>79444134
Its fucked up how bad its got. The MSM is completely one sided. Trump is the closest thing we have to an isolationists and even the fashionable protest crowd have been drawn into supporting aspects of American militarism.
>>
>>79438502
Thank you for actually posting an intelligent comment about this and discussing this good film without turning it into a /pol/ meme. Getting rarer and rarer on /tv/
>>
>>79434194
>So i'm currently rewatching this movie
no
it's actually the first time you watch it, and you are doing it only because RLM made a review
but it's ok since you're a redditor
>>
>>79442782

maybe that's the point, that he's so stupid he pulls out something that's holding her body together

or maybe he wants her to die man
>>
File: angry pepe.gif (1MB, 828x828px) Image search: [Google]
angry pepe.gif
1MB, 828x828px
>>79434194
KILL'EM ALL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5joTyy3CCo
>>
>>79444278

I think it's not one-sided. There are many, many conservative outlets for news and opinion, as well as liberal ones, and while there may be a large argument about whether they succeed, many mainstream media at least attempt impartiality.

Part of the problem has been the branding "MSM" itself, since it's a sort of True Scotsman problem - if it's on the "one side" you refer to, it's Mainstream, whereas if it's conservative, it's not Mainstream.

I think if President Trump finds himself under intense media scrutiny, it's because he makes decisions or choices that draw that sort of scrutiny.

But to stay on topic, whatever the media is today, it's not a mouthpiece of propaganda for the Federation. We know what that looks like - it exists in places like Russia.
>>
>>79444538
Id argue that western propaganda is just better than Russian propaganda. The propaganda in Starship Troopers was the wink that was supposed to make us question it.
>>
>>79444626

The difference is it's not state-controlled, so the media is an external voice. We could argue for days about whether it's doing a good job of it, but there are always dissenting voices in the media. It switches who those voices are (currently, liberal voices and arguably MSM are the dissenters, but it was Fox and such for the past eight years), but dissent they do.

In Starship Troopers, the only dissenting voice is when the reporter begins to suggest that humanity was the actual aggressor, until Rico interrupts with "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all".
>>
File: monogatari-series.gif (805KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
monogatari-series.gif
805KB, 500x281px
>>79434194
This movie drove me up a fucking wall.
Why didn't the soldiers just move out of the way when the bugs were rearing to die?
Seriously, 3/4 of the soldiers would have lived if the moved a foot to the right.
>>
>>79441344
Looks like they really went over the top with the satire. Was the whole movie like this?
>>
>>79444759

Nothing the Federation does in the movie is good tactics.

>Human wave tactics
>Light infantry only, no tanks, planes, artillery...
>No markmanship education; e.g. aim-for-the-eye - they troopers just spray and pray
>massed spaceships just begging to be AA'd
>>
>>79444733
Where is the dissenting voice saying that Americans should be the richest people on the planet and instead all they manage is what Europeans consider the better parts of Europe?

Money is going missing.
>>
>>79444933
I think it was intentional. Since it was an ""antiwar"" movie. Though, if it was anti war the message was completely lost.
>>
>>79444933
Supposedly the genuinely thought the bugs would be relatively defenseless and it was just to give the soldiers something to do.
>>
>>79445023
>10 foot tall bugs
>defenseless
They should have just nuke the fucking planet.
>>
>>79445080
>subterranean bugs

Nukes wouldn't do shit.
>>
>>79444933
>>79445023
It's also not really a big deal for them to lose a bunch of soldiers. They'll just produce more and the deaths of the soldiers can be used to idolize to the masses.
>>
>>79445132
>>79444933
Standard rifles never get redesigned in these films. That's something that always bothers me.

So rounds meant for humans do fuck all damage? Give everyone a much larger gun with a slower rate of fire. They do just march to wards them. Recoil-less guns? Focus much more on machine guns on tri pods and morters? IFVs?
>>
>>79445229
Didn't they change the gun for the soldiers?
They had that video where NPH was developing better weapons to fight bugs.
>>
How come the franchise never took off? It was a stellar movie, top production values, clearly loved and adored - yet it gets 2 god awful direct to home video sequels and the eternally handsome Caspar Van Dien never really did anything after either.
>>
>>79445280
Pretty sure they just tell them to aim for the nerve bundle or something. Their rifles look the exact same.
>>
>>79445229
yeah, after they tested out what they currently have.
when you have a shitload of resources, you can just trial-and-error until you get it right.
>>
>>79445311
Wasn't made as a franchise movie, but more importantly the movie itself didn't succeed.

It didn't make much money, mostly got panned in reviews because plenty of people didn't get it
>>
>>79445335
In all these films though. An assault rifle is meant for humans and human sized animals. Makes no sense to use them on anything else.
>>
>>79445388
I just looked up its critical and financial reception - holy fuck what a disaster. It didn't even make back it's budget.

Verhoeven is too good for this world.
>>
>>79445229

Tanks wouldn't be very useful against the bugs since they tend to burrow under things and don't require THAT much firepower, but IFVs would be stellar - the bugs fall quickly under heavier MG fire - note the Whisky Outpost defense killed far more bugs relative to the number of MI present than on Klendathu.

>>79445332
They said to aim for the nerve bundle in the video meant for civilians, but the MI clearly weren't trained to do it (not very well anyway). If they were, they'd shoot at the nerve bundle.
>>
>>79445410
canonically it was chambered in .308 making it at least a battle rifle
>>
>>79445410

The rifle didn't seem to have a problem killing the bugs - note that in the scene where they find a wounded Bug and the soldier shoots the fuck out of its eye, there are shitloads of holes in its legs.

More powerful guns wouldn't really change much - you need either volume of fire or good accuracy. Bring IFVs, crew served weapons, and train your soldiers to suck less.
>>
>>79445645
That's battle with humans in mind though. The bugs are giant and covered in a carapace.

Issue something bigger with a much slower rate of fire and while they are marching right at you, you can blow them in half with a single shot.
>>
>>79445720
There is a scene where a bug is randomly shot over its body from close range and it loses a limb and the psychic guy explains that its still mostly effective.
>>
>>79445738
I would mention how that would probably annihilate your shoulder but the fact that they can fire at .308 at that speed in the future means they have magic space recoil dampening so yeah, may as well rechamber everything for .50 BMG
>>
>>79445772

Yes, but it's not the ineffectiveness of the bullets that's the problem. He mentions you can shoot off a leg and it's 83% combat effective; i.e. it has 5 functioning limbs of 6. The rifle DOES dismember it, it's just that doing that doesn't stop the Bug.
>>
>>79445998
Recoil-less guns are a thing. As are bi and tri pods.

Im not saying the weapon would be agile. Just good for blowing up large objects directly infront of you and man portable.

Bugs dont take cover.
>>
>>79439386
>>79439362
>>79438723

already exists yo
>>
>>79445998

I hip fired m240 in Afghan almost acurrately. Once it gets going it just kinda floats.
>>
if you watch it on a large tv the cgi scenes are meh tier compared to something like the 5th element
>>
>>79434279
people nitpicking something GRRM said when he criticized Tolkien, taking it too literally
>>
Paul Verhoeven is the best director of the late 80's/mid 90's
>>
>>79438502
This. The book is actually kinda fascistoid.
He made the movie anti-fascist, and of course critics did not get it.
I swear if there is a job that is literally stealing money, is film critics. How many fucking good movies were destroyed and revalued years later?
>>
>>79438694

But Diz's tits manage to sag even though they are tiny.
>>
That's not what based means you dumb wigger.
>>
>>79436634
neve's also quite unattractive so it's to be expected. Diz was nice except for her tits
>>
>>79445311
You're an idiot.
>>
File: 158003_full.jpg (63KB, 1000x661px) Image search: [Google]
158003_full.jpg
63KB, 1000x661px
>>
File: dina_saw.jpg (89KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dina_saw.jpg
89KB, 1080x1080px
>>79435271
>this is a 10/10 in Buenos Aires
>>
>>79450604
>ywn get beat up by a sexy 90's military babe
>>
>>79439362
Why don't you just fucking google it and see for yourself?
>>
>>79444733
not to spiral into a /pol/ discussion but since you are the one bringing up russia and talking about dissident media. They have that shit too, it's just not very popular, there are a lot of non state sponsored news outlets. Sadly not many people listen to them.
>>
>>79445229
at the last new reel there is a soldier with a bigger guns that shoots grenades. So yeah there is weapons development
>>
its not for everyone, i enjoyed the action but the rest is cheesy and sometimes looks like a cheap tv show
>>
>>79434194
Ah man, Starship Troopers.
What a flick it was, so fun with it's action and all. Brave army men fighting off bug menace and becoming heroes. Sci-fi, guns, bravery. I loved it when it first came out, but then I grew up and started hating it, because of all this action and glorification to the people behind it.
Looks like it flew over my head back then. Sure I seen it on a school trip when I was 11 and only recently again, but still.

BUENOS AIRES WAS AN INSIDE JOB!
>>
>>79435761
>>79435271
that always sad/downward smile mouth position sure had an eternal mark on her. muscle memory?
>>
>>79434835
Because he's a dumb jock.
>>
>>79440396
>>79441080
The Moon space base with weapons that were supposed to defend Earth would be another argument.
>>
>>79434835
I remember being the only guy among my bunch of friends who saw the movie and thought Diz was better, everyone was jonesing for Carmen.

Man I hope those guys are stuck in unhappy marriages or something.
>>
>>79441081
>Did they forget about Rico's parents?
Yeah, they were pretty well off, weren't they.
And wasn't there a way to get a citizenship with out actual active military service?
There also was that bid about serving for the right to bear children, but Rico's parents had him...
All in all, this world doesn't look so bad (except for maybe getting meteor'd by your own government).
>>
>>79436724
>>79436142
That was a Verhoeven common thing, Robocop was originally a Judge Dredd adaptation, he hears concepts and do his own thing, luckly for Robocop he said fuck it and turn it into its own IP
>>
>>79436596
>He hates the book and genuinely thinks that it advocates fascism.

Uhh the book basically does basically advocate Fascism. It's known as a classic of far-right literature for a reason.
>>
>>79453114
>BUENOS AIRES WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Is this in the film or the other Starship Troopers expanded universe stuff?

Humans were the one that sent the meteor towards earth, not the bugs.
>>
>>79453517
Nah he is jut being silly cause Starship Troopers predicted the post 9/11 mentality, up to the point of finding the brain (Osama) and celebrating its destruction
>>
>>79453564
No, I was a big Starship Troopers fanboy like when i was in high school (late 90s, early 00s)

I distinctly remember the asteroid is supposed to have been sent by the humans as a false flag. I just haven't seen anything about Stormship Troopers since honestly like 2003.
>>
>>79438723
NASA fiddre?
>>
>>79441344
3 really did stick to the spirit of 1. Bit too cheesy at times though.
>>
>>79436634
>>Neve Campbell's
Goddamn were those a disappointment or what?
>>
>>79434835
Carmen had better tits
>>
>>79444733
>it's not state-controlled
Literally only one degree of separation from what we have. All MSM is owned by a small group of megacorps, who also functionally own the state, and have it write laws to suit them.
>>
File: 1480778766792.png (853KB, 1080x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1480778766792.png
853KB, 1080x1200px
>THEY SUCKED HIS BRAINS OUT
>>
>>79454587
Denise Richards had stripper grade bad implants
>>
>>79453284
>way to get citizenship outside of military service?
In the book, sort of; in the movie, no, only military service.

>right to have children
She says it's easier to get a license as a citizen, so apparently you need government approval to breed, but it's not exclusive to citizens, hence Rico.
>>
Is it ever explained why Buenos Aires is inhabited by English-speaking aryan-looking people?

Did they exterminate all the non-whites?
>>
>>79454887
argentina is white
>>
>>79434859

Those flapjack tits have a charm to them.
>>
>>79454887

In the book the whole world is united as the "Federation" individual countries don't exist anymore. English is the Lingua Franca.
>>
>>79454867
In the movie, it's supposed to be any sort of federal service, not just the military (although obviously main focus of the movie).
>>
>>79455533
nice repeating digits
>>
>>79454887

The whole movie is a satire
>>
File: 1440141741637.jpg (244KB, 603x600px) Image search: [Google]
1440141741637.jpg
244KB, 603x600px
>yfw Federation did Buenos Aires
>>
File: German_soldier.jpg (63KB, 564x741px) Image search: [Google]
German_soldier.jpg
63KB, 564x741px
>>79434194
Anti-American, anti-military, leftist antifa propaganda. Read the book instead for non-politicized and unbutchered story.
>>
>>79435492
didn't they say they weren't allowed to vote? or am i thinking of Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War"?
>>
>>79434194
We should reinterpret/meme starship troopers into being a feminist classic film 'oh men and women fight and die together, so progressive' and low-key red-pill feminists #draftourdaughters.
>>
>>79434835
I don't understand this.

everytime I watch Starship Troopers, Diz being a jealous bitch in the first 3rd always sticks out to me.
>>
>>79455664
>anti-american
Kind of like Nazis?
>>
>>79455840
'men and women showering together, getting tattoos together, a black female skymarshall ordering the death of all bugs' all elements are there.
>>
>>79439317
boy i am sick of that ending. he did pretty much the same thing with the "Worlds" trilogy.
>>
Watched this in the cinema with my mum
>>
>>79453582
One of the producers advocates the theory in the DVD documentary for Starship Troopers, and there are hints such as them having the Chariot Bugs all the way in the beginning of the movie before "discovering" the Brain Bug, which gave them viable reason to want to invade.
>>
>>79455840

I mean, it already is that. It's just that that part isn't the movie's point. You have men and women playing sports together, training together, showering together, dying together. A black woman takes over as Sky Marshall. It's sort of an old feminist ideal; women are totally equal to men in the Federation.

The problem is that that's not what modern internet feminists want - they want all women in charge because YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT? See: Ghostbusters.
>>
>>79441165
The book has nothing to do with the movie, you mongoloid.
>>
NOT SATIRE
>>
>>79444626
In Russia journalists write propaganda. In West propagandist write journals
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v53EUMNSdQs
>>
>>79454448
Gotta have an uncontrollable stutter
>>
File: Robert A. Heinlein-5754664.jpg (26KB, 400x418px) Image search: [Google]
Robert A. Heinlein-5754664.jpg
26KB, 400x418px
>>79434194
> is Paul Verhoeven based?

No, the guy is a hack and a moron.

He flat-out admitted that he never even bothered reading the book and simply went on what other idiot Leftists like himself had told him about it; that Heinlein was a “fascist” and the book promotes a totalitarian society, neither of which is even remotely accurate in the least.

The Bugs were cool but other then that, it’s a shit movie.
>>
File: civilian.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
civilian.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
>>79436088
>I think some semblance of military authenticity to the action
A fascist society doesn't care about human life, so they only use simple human wave tactics.

Also, nice hitler dubs.
>>
>>79450696
Ive been to Buenos Aires and there are a lot of hot girls.. goddamn, they are also keen for white guys.

Highly recommend
>>
>>79438502
ITT people who have never read Starship Troopers or other books by the same author.

There are plenty of points in the book similar to the movie. Such as false flags and the fact they swap from pwning skinnies to fighting a different enemy without question. The movie is just a simplified version of this.
>>
File: Robert Anson Heinlein.jpg (25KB, 400x573px) Image search: [Google]
Robert Anson Heinlein.jpg
25KB, 400x573px
>>79438502
>(written by a guy who never did actual proper military service but fetishised and idolized the fuck out of the army)

Verhoeven, please go.

“Heinlein's experience in the U.S. Navy exerted a strong influence on his character and writing. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland with the class of 1929 and went on to serve as an officer in the Navy. He was assigned to the new aircraft carrier USSLexington in 1931, where he worked in radio communications, then in its earlier phases, with the carrier's aircraft. The captain of this carrier was Ernest J. King, who later served as the Chief of Naval Operations and Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet during World War II. Heinlein was frequently interviewed during his later years by military historians who asked him about Captain King and his service as the commander of the U.S. Navy's first modern aircraft carrier. Heinlein also served aboard the destroyer USSRoper in 1933 and 1934, reaching the rank of lieutenant. In 1934, Heinlein was discharged from the Navy due to pulmonary tuberculosis.”
>>
>>79435271
Plastic surgery and drugs will do that.
>>
>>79458393
>A fascist society doesn't care about human life
>>
>>79458293

if you think that Verhoeven's movie promotes fascism you're an idiot
>>
>>79459010

Clearly you are an idiot, if you think that's what I was saying.
>>
>>79458393
what the fuck are you even talking about? do you realize the german KDA in WW2? you retarded spoiler abuser
>>
>>79459128

>the book is about fascism but doesn't promote it
>the film is about fascism but doesn't promote it

so then what did Verhoeven do wrong?
>>
>since nobody is answering my thread.

Would Starship Troopers be the scifi opposite of Cyberpunk?
>>
File: Robert A. Heinlein.jpg (34KB, 533x680px) Image search: [Google]
Robert A. Heinlein.jpg
34KB, 533x680px
>>79459174

The shitty movie was supposed to be a _parody_ of Heinlein’s “fascist” novel, except there is nothing fascist about the original story, it’s all in Verhoeven’s (empty) head and was wholly based on what others (who also never bothered to actually read the story) had told him about it.
>>
>"HUMANS WERE THE AGGRESSORS!"
>literally one (1) small harmless Mormon settlement that was viciously slaughtered by bugs, then followed up by asteroiding an Earth city
>"B-BUENOS AIRES WAS A FALSE FLAG!"
>literally no evidence for this.
Why are the Federation the bad guys again? I'm oretty sure if Trump rounded up all the Mexican illegals, executed them, nuked Mexico city, and then the Mexicans declared war on the US they wouldn't be seen as the "aggressors."
>>
>>79459518
Are you really sure though?
>>
>>79459518
>>literally no evidence for this.

It's pretty obvious that the asteroid that collided with the Roger Young is the same asteroid that hit Buenos Aires. The captain of the Young explicitly tells the crew to warn Earth that there's an asteroid heading their way. Even if their communications were down, the ship can travel faster than light, and could easily of returned to Earth or some sort of Federation outpost to deliver the warning (and repairs) before the asteroid hit. The asteroid still hit Earth.
>>
>>79459611
Literally everything the movie tells you could be a lie, but I have seen people unironically argue in Starship Troopers threads that Mormons are a legitimate incitement to war.
>>
>>79459518
they are not! but they aren't the good guys either which is one of the points of the movie.
The bugs are agressive and evil, that is clear but so is the federation. The consequece is endless total war.
>>
>>79459010
It does a really shitty job of not promoting fascism.

I'm sure you're right about his intentions, but he somehow leads the viewer to a point where fascism isn't really a problem.
>>
Through the entire movie, the gun is reloaded exactly 1 time.
They even made a magazine prop and all, but it's used once.
It's something that I noticed last time I rewatched it.
>>
>>79459518
>I'm oretty sure if Trump rounded up all the Mexican illegals, executed them, nuked Mexico city, and then the Mexicans declared war on the US they wouldn't be seen as the "aggressors."

They invaded the US and deserved retribution! USA USA USA
>>
>>79459518
The bugs aren't white people. They have to be the victims.
>>
>>79459665
>I have seen people unironically argue in Starship Troopers threads that Mormons are a legitimate incitement to war.
Those people are riduculous

>Literally everything the movie tells you could be a lie
While unreliable narrators are a thing, this is a very bad hermeneutic strategy for any work of fiction. If I read Clifford I can't just say that Clifford being a big red dog is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>79459897
Wouldn't a "magazine prop" just be a mini-14 magazine with a covering?
Thread posts: 272
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.