[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I dont get it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: Questionmark.jpg (433KB, 1063x1518px) Image search: [Google]
Questionmark.jpg
433KB, 1063x1518px
I dont get it
>>
the first half was a dream
>>
>>79405337
a WET dream
>>
it sucks but since it has lesbians and deals with female sexuality it's considered a masterpiece
>>
>>79405307
the part with the rabbits was eerie af
>>
>>79405357
its not really about female sexuality
>>
>>79405337
and le blue box represents le dream?
>>
>>79405357
By your obviously retarded logic a LOT of shitty films would be considered masterpieces.
>>
>>79405357
Don't worry OP, this guy didn't get it either.
>>
DUDE DREAMS ELMAO
>>
Everyone cites the dumpster spook scene, and of course it's effective, but the decrepit corpse in bed scene is the real stomach turner!
>>
when i watch films like this, i don't really feel the need to clasp onto whatever logically make sense. its more about atmosphere to me, and less about plot.

sure, you could just say "it was all a dream!!!" but maybe you should just leave it a mystery. maybe you'll form your own explanation when you watch it again in a few years.
>>
>>79405529
Obviously you have sense and an appreciation of cinema, hard to grasp for /tv/'s autistic contingent.
>>
>>79405307
It's art house crap
>>
>>79405442
>and of course it's effective
It's not - t didn't even work as a jump scare for me.

The eeriest part is just the opening, with Laura Harring being driven in the car, and the soundtrack.
>>
>>79405307
Meh/10. Eraserhead was better and also made more sense.
>>
A mentally ill starlet has her lover murdered after she becomes exceedingly envious of her lover's success and fame. However, upon realizing what she has done, she dreams of a situation in which her lover survived the hit and goes on an adventure with an idealized version of herself (the innocent, beautiful and stunning actress Betty) where they fall in love and everything ends up being alright. The weird conspiracy subplot also frames the director guy in a bad light (making him a literal dorky cuck who fucks up everything) and lets her blame all her failings in Hollywood not on herself, but on some behind the scenes string pulling designed specifically to fuck her over.

However, while masturbating to a sexual fantasy, a knock on the door brings her back to reality and she hallucinates parts of her innocence (the old people being her parents or some other people who thought better of her) coming back to haunt her, so she kills herself.
>>
File: 1478907564146.png (128KB, 274x297px) Image search: [Google]
1478907564146.png
128KB, 274x297px
>>79405529
>>79405571
>[Oh shit I didn't get it, what the fuck do I say?] UHHHHH I THINK YOU WEREN'T ///SUPPOSED/// TO GET IT
>BRAVO LYNCH
Spoilers: You were meant to get it
>>
>>79405670
I saw a theory about the cowboy being god, whats the significance between the conversation in the dream between the cuck director and the cowboy?
>>
>>79405690
Literally proving my point
It's not *about* getting it, it's not a math test
>>
>>79405307

Second half happens before first half, chronologically.

First half is a death-dream.

Once you understand that it's a lot easier to get it. I think it's his best work.
>>
>>79405744

She saw the cowboy at the party where she got humiliated and gave him a role in her fantasy where he was part of the conspiracy to fuck her over. A lot of random things from the real world appear in the dream in ways that don't really make sense, like the money in the bag or the hitman scene (which was her way of thinking that maybe the hit didn't work because he was horribly incompetent).
>>
>>79405359
That's inland empire.
>>
File: 1478907564144.png (266KB, 475x430px) Image search: [Google]
1478907564144.png
266KB, 475x430px
>>79405796
Literally proving my point
It is *about* getting it, you're a dummy
>>
File: 1484031745046.jpg (68KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1484031745046.jpg
68KB, 633x758px
>We will never ever see Lynch's Mulholland Drive TV series
>>
>>79405307
Subversion of reality, she can't experience the real thing, so all the characters are shifted in her mind.
>>
>>79405861
Getting it is fine, almost a given, congrats. Like all art it's about how you experience it, how it makes you feel, the emotion it elicits, etc.
>>
>>79405744
It literally doesnt mean anything, because Lynch originally was making it as a pilot for a show that never got off the ground. Therefore theres a lot of stuff in there still that makes no sense.

But trust some retards to try to read sense into it anyway.
>>
>>79405670

This is very good. And accurate.

The only small disagreement I have is that magic exists in Lynch's universe. The old people for example were not just hullicinations, they were demons who.were after her because of the deal she made. It wasn't all just hullicinations and dreams, but someone can enjoy seeing it either way.
>>
>>79405670
i wouldn't say she's mentally ill. from the party scene and set scene, it appears Camilla was quite the manipulative cunt. Diane was just really, really in love with her. then again, an argument can be made that only mentally ill people lash out and murder their ex-lovers. well, if Camilla and Diane were that and the entire affair wasn't all in her head.
>>
>>79405896
thank god
>>
>>79405836
I see, but the person the hitman killed in the dream talked about a book, does that have anything to do with the plot?
>>
>>79405896
none of the better parts were in the pilot. all the Silencio, blue key, lesbian sex stuff was shot after. so, no, the series would have been a lot of soap opera and little substance. mind you, i'd still watch,but what made the film compelling is the contrast between the real life latter half hour and the pollyannaish first part.
>>
>>79406082
no doubt the plot of the tv series would have involved the black book, among other things. it doesn't add much to the film, though. gotta remember, most of the film was shot as a pilot for an ongoing drama/mystery.
>>
>>79406082

It's another level of her imagined conspiracy in the movie, in the TV show it probably would have been fleshed out more.

>>79406107

That's the thing, I think it would have worked just fine if it were an edgy noir styled show in LA that really goes off the rails in the last episode.
>>
>>79406220
>edgy noir styled show
What do you mean? The majority of MD is a lighthearted comedy.
>>
>>79406220
yeah, you're probably right. i recall Marilyn Manson was contracted to be in it, too. lol. sometimes i forget he was in Lost Highway. i wonder where the series would have gone or if Lynch outlined the entire series.
>>
>>79406275

I mean, something that got gradually edgier, with the lesbian sex and the Diane corpse coming in as the tone shifts.
>>
>>79406275
there was that cop scene in the crash, diane's corpse, the crazy lady who knocks on the apartment, and the writer of the film Betty would eventually land a part in (according to the pilot screenplay). funny thing, the director would end up moving into the same complex where Betty and Rita resided, with the writer, after getting kicked out of his house. yeah, the series would have been very Twin Peaks-like - 90% soap opera, 10% freaky shit.
>>
>>79405307
You're dumb as a bucket of sticks if you don't get it.
>>
Why did Naomi's career take off, but Laura's didn't? Lynch doesn't even use Laura in his other works.
>>
>>79406566
David Lynch films are not made to "get" you dumbfuck, people like you are the worst.

Go call David and tell him you "get" what it is about and he will disappointingly deny every sentence you spout about it.

There is no universal singular answer in Lynch films, they are more of an experience in a form of a dream.
Yes there are some general themes and ideas, but there is no singular universal answer of what it is, Lynch hates symbolism. It's more about the experience, you should not manually overanalyze every single shot.

Movies aren't puzzles which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" them
>>
>>79406844
Mulholland Drive is straight forward, my nig
Sorry about your lack of understanding.
>>
>>79406880
Low energy. You gotta try harder.
>>
>>79406836
well Naomi is a trained actress. Laura is a Miss USA and countess who dabbled. also, seems she couldn't shake her Mexican accent much. rewatch it and pay particular attention to her voice. mind you, i'd have love for her career to take off b/c she's one of the most beautiful women ever, but she doesn't seem to have the chops that Naomi does.
>>
It's just anti Hollywood and how much it sucks your soul out of you. Naomi won the jitterbug contest put on by the old people and thought Hollywood was going to be fantastical and wonderful but it turns out those old people help dirty dumpster demons eat your soul and all of Hollywood are manipulators and murderers.
>>
>>79406880
Here's an excerpt from an interview with David Lynch about Mullholand Drive:
>"I think people know what Mulholland Dr. is to them, but they don’t trust it. They want to have someone else tell them. I love people analyzing it, but they don’t need me to help them out. That’s the beautiful thing, to figure things out as a detective. Telling them robs them of the joy of thinking it through and feeling it through and coming to a conclusion."

"And it doesn’t matter if that conclusion isn’t the same as yours?"

>"Right, because even if you get the whole thing, there would still be some abstract elements in it that you’d have to kind of feel-think. You’d have to say, “I kind of understand that, but I don’t know exactly what it is.” Sort of. The frames are always the same on the film—it’s always the same length, and the same soundtrack is always running along it. But the experience in the room changes depending on the audience. That’s another reason why people shouldn’t be told too much, because “knowing” putrefies that experience."
>>
File: no.jpg (29KB, 462x442px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
29KB, 462x442px
>It's a Lynch is too incompetent to come up with a story so he just throws random shit at the camera episode
>>
>>79407350
And sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes it's trash. What's your point?
>>
>>79407446
That it's always trash.
>>
>>79406836
Laura was in Rabbits.
>>
>>79407350
>It's an "anon is afraid of not being able to process anything other than linear logical narratives and familiar plotline structures" episode

Also film is a visual medium my dear amigo friend
>>
>>79407489
WRONG
>>
Mulholland Drive was initially conceived as a Twin Peaks spin-off with the Audrey character as the original Betty. just figured i'd drop that piece of info here. i still think Lost Highway is his best film, MD a close second.
>>
File: md_7482.jpg (49KB, 432x287px) Image search: [Google]
md_7482.jpg
49KB, 432x287px
Here is the The New Yorker article detailing the struggles w/ the network when it was to be a series

http://www.lynchnet.com/mdrive/newyorker.html
>>
>>79408109
I don't like lost highway at all. It lacks that coziness lynch movies have. I mean they're all unsettling but Lost Highway doubles down on the edgy, and the soundtrack Reznor compiled dates the movie horribly.
>>
>>79405357
kysrt
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.