[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this considered their best work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: images (3).jpg (30KB, 314x471px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
30KB, 314x471px
It's hysterical, but it's not as good as Night at the Opera, or Go West.
Also: Zeppo hate thread
>>
>>79395850
>Night at the Opera
boring
>>
>Go West
That's a pretty obscure contrarian pick, all I know of it is that Buster Keaton wrote some gags for it

Duck Soup is considered their best because it was their last and most accomplished Paramount film, before they switched to MGM and sort of became supporting characters in their own films. There they had to include more songs, romance, "real" characters because Irving Thalberg was a pretentious twit and had to make all his films seem classy. So the later films might be funnier but Duck Soup is the purest Marx Brothers
>>
File: IMG_0629.jpg (63KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0629.jpg
63KB, 640x482px
>>79395850
The mirror scene, you filthy pleb.

Also, Chico needed the money.
>>
>>79395992
Is go west really contrarian? I just really liked it
>>
>>79396255
Why don't most people know of the Marx Brothers? I fucking hate the three stooges for stealing their formula and ruining it
>>
>>79396522
Well it's obscure for sure
>>
>>79396576
Well the jokes and gags are mostly kinda weird and dated from today's perspective, because they're so heavily vaudevillian. Every movie is also the same, Chico plays the piano and hustles people, Harpo's a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen, Groucho fires a dozen entendres every other second, and Zeppo's a boring ninny who was a straight man nobody liked until he finally got the guts to quit talkies.
>>
>>79396946
They're no more dated than Looney tunes
>>
File: 1482873971135.png (134KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1482873971135.png
134KB, 500x522px
>>79395850
>She looks as healthy as any woman I ever met!
>You don't look as though you've ever met a healthy woman!
>>
>>79395850
>Not Horse Feathers
I actually imagine that most people in charge of colleges today are like Groucho
>>
I watched this for my intro to film class and I thought it was boring :\
>>
>>79395850
Which was the one with Freedonia and Rufus T. Firefly? That one had some great moments, like the peanut salesman's hat sketch and was the speakeasy scene not in that one too?
>>
>>79400074
And the classic elephant gag. Top tier.
>>
File: max linder.jpg (354KB, 1200x885px) Image search: [Google]
max linder.jpg
354KB, 1200x885px
>>79396255
max linder did it first.
keaton = bowers > lloyd > chaplin > marx brothers = laurel & hardy > fields = tati > raimu = rogers = langdon = linder > bevan = turpin = stooges > our gang >>>>> 'fatty'
>>
Not only were they at the top of their game, but the film's anarchist overtones were pretty out of left field for comedies at the time, especially when combined with their novel brand of absurdity and being unhinged. Duck Soup is the perfect mix of all of those qualities and what makes it special.
>>
>>79400612

This. Movies like Night at the Opera were funny for sure, but Duck Soup wins by subtext.
>>
Night in Casablanca is surprisingly good considering it was only made to help pay Chico's gambling debts.
>>
>>79395850
>Go West
We got a patrician over here, lads.
>>
>>79400332
why the fatty hate?
>>
File: gilbert-gottfried.png (2MB, 1309x1020px) Image search: [Google]
gilbert-gottfried.png
2MB, 1309x1020px
>>79396255
Groucho, why did you order the assassination of JFK?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.