[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

What went wrong?
>>
>>79392959

I liked it
>>
Violet had to much clothes on
>>
>>79392959

NPH> Jim Carrey
>>
>>79392959
Nothing
>>
No scenes with Patrick Warburton's cock
>>
The bait and switch with Will Arnett and Cobie Smulders hurt my soul
>>
It's very repetitive.
>>
>>79393876
delete this
>>
It was good, the movie is just kidkino so it could't compete.
>>
NPH being the producer meant he got to make himself the main character instead of the orphans and murder all sense of tension or suspense in the show by hamming it up and making Olaf the butt of too many jokes.

>Life sure is shit for the kid at this mill but at least Olaf is no where in sight... still he could pop up at any moment... and what about that looming eye building suspiciously similar to his tattoo that seems to watch you everywhere you go... can they ever really escape him.. will they live under his gaze forever...?

>LOL JK OLAF'S BEEN HERE SINCE DAY ONE AND THE EYE DOCTOR IS HIS GIRLFRIEND AND HERE'S HIS EVIL PLAN!
>>
>>79392959
Nothing, it was great.

People complaining about NPH's Olaf wouldn't be intimidated by book Olaf either, they just remember him being much scarier than he actually is because they read the books as children.
>>
>>79395433

Not really m8. Olaf definitely lightens up in the second half of the series but in the first half he's 90% terror / 10% dope, not the opposite.

There's a reason scenes like where he slaps Klaus, gets rapey with Violet, threatens to cut off Sunny's toes,etc. feel awkward and out of place in the show
>>
>>79392959
>sets that look like a highschool play
>literally everything
It's actually easier to name the few good things
>Klaus
>black Mr poe and family
>some troupe moments
That's it. Nothing else. Utter garbage and a disgrace to the books. Dropped it at the wide window with how awful the set was and that "DUR LEMONY SMICKET I THOUGHT HE WUZ DED!?" just terrible all around acting.

The movie wasn't perfect by any means, but it was at least entertaining and watchable. Carey was such a better Olaf and had much better characters; go watch his stephano scenes on youtube right now and tell me Neil can even compare at all.
>>
>>79392959
The only things better from the movie adaptation were Klaus and Aunt Josephine
>>
>>79392959
the stuff that wasnt in the book was pretty bad, i have never read them but I could point out these scenes and my gf would confirm that they were not in the books
>>
>>79395829
>from
I take it you mean 'than'?
>>
>>79395884

Introducing VFD stuff early on will make the later books make more sense but it makes these ones make far less sense. How the fuck does Uncle Monty make any kind of sense as deep core VFD conspiracy member who thinks Olaf is from a rival herpetological society because he puts on a fake beard? Every character in the story can't be simultaneously be inept and in on the conspiracy at once.
>>
>>79395888
Klaus in the show wasnt smart enough and Aunt Josephine wasnt silly enough.
Thats fine if you like the movie better, i dont really care.
The only thing that i truly do not understand is how anyone could prefer Emily Browning to Malina Weismann
>>
>>79392959
Should have done all the books and made it a single season mini series.
>>
>>79396055
>how anyone could prefer Emily Browning to Malina Weismann
Because she could act, and had chemistry with the other actors.
>>
>>79396071

That would cost roughly 50 bajillion dollars. Part of the structure is the MASSIVE change in settings.
>>
>>79396055
Emily was cute and can actually act probably. You and half this board are just pedophiles
>>
>>79396114
>>79396094
agree to disagree. Browning is shit
Movie violet was more pedo baity anyway since her clothes were ever so slightly more revealing.
>>
>>79392959
Nothing

except mr. poe
>>
>>79392959
>explicitly making clear that the internet exists
>too many self-aware jokes
>dumbing it down, making it more kiddie (e.g. having Olaf explicitly admit to being evil in episode 7)
>horrible VFD plotline
>absurdly bad CGI

I think that's everything.

But it was still good overall, 7/10. Many genuinely funny moments, almost all due to NPH.
>>
>>79396173
>more pedo baity
Bullshit. The film makers didn't choose Browning to make a paedophile's day - and the clothes went with the gothic style.

Netflix were clearly baiting - why else would they get a girl that looked so much like Browning?
>>
>>79393876
debatable
>>
>>79392959
They portrayed VFD very badly, they're supposed to be meek bookish types that feel forced by circumstance into doing whatever they can to help "noble" people, not super spies that do spinning takedown moves and shit. Also while the cinematography was great in the first two episodes, I felt like they kind of slacked off later on.
>>
Cunny acting wasn't tight enough.
>>
>>79396195
>disliking the one decent thing about this turd
Let me guess you're white, insecure, and attracted to young children?
>>
>>79393790
this
>>
>>79396251
how was she pedo baity in the show?
All she ever wore were longish dresses. Her belly, her clavicle, most of her legs, and literally nothing below her neckline down to her knees was ever visible.
>>
>>79396251
and also
>why would they get a girl that looked so much like browning?

Because thats what the fucking character looks like
>>
File: VioletBaudelaire.png (172KB, 239x600px) Image search: [Google]
VioletBaudelaire.png
172KB, 239x600px
>>79396436
I just explained why - because they got a girl who looked exactly like Browning, knowing people obsess over her.

>>79396474
I'm not really seeing the similarities between her and Browning.
>>
>>79393876
>Jim Carrey pros
Taller, more sinister looking. Seems "scarier" at times.
>Jim Carrey cons
Most of the time is not scary at all and made Olaf look even more ridiculous than he was in the book. He mostly squanders his intimidating apperance on stupid classic Jim Carrey style over the top expressions.
>Neil Patrick Harris pros
Funnier at the appropriate times, at least attempted to be serious when it was required. Disguises were definitely funnier with NPH.
>Neil Patrick Harris cons
its tough to admit but Jim Carrey in terms of physical appearance alone NAILED the look of Count Olaf so its impossible for NPH to top that. He just isnt as much of a physical presence as Carrey.
>>
>>79396531
are you shitting me right now? Obviously they picked actresses who for the most part are a believable physical counterpart to the illustrations. If you are seriously trying to contend that both Browning and Malina dont look like what an un-stylized real life Violet Baudelaire would look like then you clearly just didnt read the books.
>>
File: 1486493586108.jpg (843KB, 946x4946px) Image search: [Google]
1486493586108.jpg
843KB, 946x4946px
We all agree?
>>
>>79396753
GOD DAMNIT NO
MALINA WEISMANN>EMILY BROWNING
MOVIE KLAUS IS BETTER THOUGH
EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMS LIKE IT COULD BE PRETTY REASONABLY ARGUED
>>
>>79396753
Flip Monty and lemony and I'm on board. I love Patrick Warburton so much (should have been negan) but his narration was so monotone and dull. Jude law actually added something to it and actually felt like a grieving lost father.
>>
>>79396836
if this debate simply came down to "who is a better actor, Jude Law or Patrick Warburton?" then obviously Jude Law would win out. However considering the style of the show and the books it is adapting, Warburton is a perfect fit.
>>
>>79396670
Wrong. Shame this doesn't have the milking gear scene, but still
https://youtu.be/1Nb7VTuGv-Q
>>
>>79396738
>then you clearly just didnt read the books.
I'm sorry, are you confusing books with film? As far as I'm aware you're given nothing but a description in books, so everyone would have their own interpretation within the limits of that description. Films are visual, so don't have that subjectivity. The only thing that comes close to being objective in the book, is that illustration - which appears on the book covers.

I didn't think of Browning when I read the books, before seeing the film. I had my own thoughts on how the character looked, and probably based it in part on the illustration as well.

When did you read the books? Unless you re-read them again recently, why would you know how exactly the character was described in a children's book? I read them around 15 years ago, so I really don't remember how she was described. In fact, I can barely remember how the main character in the last book I read was described.

Do you seriously think everyone thought of Browning before seeing her when they read the books? I would ask, why did they get the new Violet to look like the old Violet, but then make Klaus and Sunny different?
>>
Its weird how the series feels both too slow and too rushed.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the quirky humor choices, but that's because I'm an edgy asshole who wants muh dark kids series.
>>
>>79397016
I am in no way suggesting that i was picturing Browning or Weismann before i even knew they existed when i read the books. I am however suggesting that the selection of both of those actresses reflects a fairly widespread understanding as to what Violet Baudelaire would look like in real life, and both actresses fit that mold. Weismann resembles both the illustration and literary description, and that is why she was chosen. The fact that Browning also fits that mold is simply because the movie producers had the same mindset of attempting to be as close to the books as they could.
And what the fuck are you on about? Klaus looks very similar in both the film and series. Movie Klaus is a little taller and slimmer but visually they are very similar. Sunny is certainly smaller in the movie but since shes an infant it really doesnt matter.
>>
File: piracy.jpg (82KB, 624x960px) Image search: [Google]
piracy.jpg
82KB, 624x960px
>>79392959
Nothing, it gave me nostalgia chills for how mich it's similar to the books.
The only bad parts are when they forced the "lol you're watching this on Netflix and I'm breaking the fourth wall to tell you" meme.
>>
it was great, and miserable mill was terrific

also season 2 will cover the best books so i'm excited for more
>>
>>79396804
Movie Klaus has literally no resemblance to book Klaus
>>
>>79396753
>all those hamfisted token niggers
thanks now i know ill never watch this
>>
>>79397357
That's not an inherently bad thing.
>>
>>79396753
klaus in the show is everything i wanted from an adaptation. he looks like a young woody allen for some reason
>>
>>79396753
Why does NPH have better dialogue than Carrey?
I'd be tempted to say NPH had the better Captain Sham. There is no way on Earth that guy from the show was a better Monty though.
>>
>>79396753

The black lady was a better Aunt Josephine.
>>
>>79397560
t. Vince
>>
File: deckard cain.jpg (51KB, 454x615px) Image search: [Google]
deckard cain.jpg
51KB, 454x615px
>>79397510
Baudelaire'sh! It ish I, Captain Sham! Shtay a while and lishen!
>>
>>79397599

Who's Vince?
>>
>>79397767
>>
>>79396836
Snicket is not a father.
>>
File: 1486139406970.jpg (71KB, 1000x736px) Image search: [Google]
1486139406970.jpg
71KB, 1000x736px
a faggot.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.