[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it autism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: 42647229.png (1MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
42647229.png
1MB, 1024x576px
Was it autism?
>>
>>79362617
>you've got a serious case of oscarbaititis, we recommend opting in for euthanasia
lol jk
this should have been a book, lonergan is a hack
>>
>>79362879
his cameo was pretty sweet though
>>
>>79362617
Nah, this is what it looks like when you really don't want to be alive anymore, but you don't want to put your family through another loss, so every day is just passing time
>>
>>79362916
I can't care about that, couldn't he construct a better story and a better movie?
I'm left unsatisfied, what went wrong? Is it retarted critics, me not understanding something, the length and the ending that gets you right when any feeling has worn off, or is it just an entirely mediocre movie?

But Casey Affleck is so pretty, so it doesn't feel like a complete waste to me.
>>
File: lee .png (879KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
lee .png
879KB, 710x842px
Lee had hard life
>>
>>79363104
>retarted
I think it's you, this film was pretty much flawless.
>>
File: 1484076529537180099.gif (1MB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
1484076529537180099.gif
1MB, 207x207px
>In 2010, Affleck was sued by two former co-workers. I'm Still Here's producer, Amanda White, sued Affleck for $2 million. She detailed numerous "uninvited and unwelcome sexual advances" in the workplace, alleging that Affleck had allowed Spacehog guitarist Antony Langdon to expose himself in her presence, spoke "inappropriately" about her advancing age and fertility, discussed his "sexual exploits", referred to women as "cows", invaded her "personal space" by locking her out of her hotel room while entertaining another woman, attempted to "manipulate" her into staying with him in a hotel room and "violently" grabbed her by the arm when she refused.[166] The film's cinematographer, Magdalena Gorka, sued Affleck for $2.25 million.[167] Gorka alleged that she had been subjected to "routine instances" of sexual harassment by crew members including Langdon, "within the presence and with the active encouragement of Affleck."[168] While staying in Phoenix's apartment during filming, Phoenix offered Gorka the private use of his bedroom. Affleck allegedly joined Gorka in bed while she slept, wearing only "his underwear and a t-shirt ... He had his arm around her, was caressing her back, his face was within inches of hers and his breath reeked of alcohol."[168]
>>
>>79363390
>spoke "inappropriately" about her advancing age and fertility
lol I'm constantly giving shit on my female co-workers for not being married yet and that they're getting old
>>
>>79363390
/ourguy/
>>
>>79362976
I'm interested in seeing alternate cuts where this movie gets improved ten times more just by cutting off girlfriends and him meeting ex-wife, so it can better evoke the feeling you just described, but the textual descriptions are already doing pretty good job
>>79363183
It feels unfinished. Scenes switch over with people barely finishing lines and you still end up with two hours of film and then some. There's literally no reason why this film has to be over two hours long. I WANT A BOOK THAT WILL NEVER COME OUT
>>
>>79363558
>I'm proud to be a total fucking cunt
>>
>>79363558
maybe you shouldn't.
>>
This film was really confusing for me. It was trying to be sad and funny at the same time. Like when the house burns and the medics are trying to put his wife in the ambulance but the stretcher keeps getting stuck.
>>
>>79363680
>this movie gets improved ten times more just by cutting off girlfriends and him meeting ex-wife, so it can better evoke the feeling you just described
That would be a completely different (and much more depressing) movie. The feeling I described is Lee's starting point. The movie is all about creating a situation where he's forced to start pulling his shit together. We're trying to see if it's possible for someone to bounce back after a horrendous tragedy like Lee had.

It's not easy for him at all, but I think the film gives him hope in the end. Manchester is hell on earth for him, but he can't let go of his feelings of obligation for his nephew, he keeps coming back to check on him and rents a new apartment with a spare guest room. The Lee we see at the beginning of the film would have absolutely no use for a guest bedroom.
>>
it was alcoholism
>>
>>79363892
Maybe the whole "laughing off tragedy" thing is an Irish/New England thing? Like the scene where Lee and his brother are joking around after he gets his diagnosis, and the brother's wife can't understand why they're laughing - it really reminded me of the way my family always deals with stuff like this. Anyone giving a eulogy at a funeral usually prepares a few jokes/funny stories about the deceased.

The film does this constantly - it's basically just a reminder that life goes on, the rest of the world keeps moving with no regard for your tragedy. Just because you've got heavy feelings doesn't mean the paramedics are gonna do everything perfectly today.
>>
>>79363104
the problem is that you're a retart
>>
>walking 40 minutes to buy beer and groceries
>>
>>79364064
It's actually a genre. Tragicomedy
>>
>>79364197
This film has moments of humor, but I wouldn't call it a comedy at all. It's just part of the naturalistic approach. In real life, people crack jokes and make dumb mistakes at inappropriate moments
>>
>>79363686
>>79363691
But it's funny.
>>
>>79364149
Fat American detected.
It's super comfy to walk at night.
>>
Why did they hate him at that town exactly?
>>
>>79364506
he was drunk and high and was directly responsible for burning his children alive through his irresponsibility. Intentional or not that can turn some people against you.
>>
>>79364237
It's a comedy in that it kept giving me flashbacks to The Room.
>>
>>79362879
Wouldn't at all work as a book. It's a story which has to be shown, not told.
>>
>>79362916
Who does he play?
>>
>>79365667
>Nice parenting, asshole
>>
>>79364749
On top of what actually happened, exaggerated rumors spread fast as fuck in small cities
>>
>>79365680
Ahhh. The weird extra shot of him walking away makes more sense now.
>>
These threads/this opinion has got to be bait

If you thought the film was boring or you thought Lee had autism you've got low empathy and I hate you
>>
>>
>>79365735
I did think that was weird now that you mention it, for a second I thought Lee was gonna chase him down and try to fight him.
>>
>>79365933
Actually loved the scene right after this, where he flat-out says he doesn't do small talk at all. I relate so hard
>>
>>79365933
Is he /ourguy/?
>>
>>79363140
This scene was too much, I started crying
>>
>>79364506
>>79364749
>>79365700
These, and I think it was just uncomfortable for people to be around him. He clearly hasn't moved past what happened with his kids at all, he can't really perform basic social functions anymore, he's just a walking reminder of how awful life can be. There's just a GIANT elephant in the room anytime he's around.

I thought it was best illustrated in that scene where he shows up at Patrick's hockey practice all dressed in black, and everyone except Patrick just kinda keeps their distance. It doesn't seem like they hate him, they just REALLY don't want to get pulled into that conversation. It's more like highly concentrated pity and "shit, I am so fucking glad I'm not him"
>>
>>79365968

Lonergan is a very big fan of the idea that films are representing only a portion of reality, that there are other people who are living full lives on the margins of the very small story we see that focuses on a couple of characters. I believe that tracking shot was meant to be one of those flourishes. Margaret is full of moments where street dialog between non-characters is all we hear in snippets and random fragments. The camera also will hold or drift over top of other people's conversations or their apartments with seemingly little purpose with regard to the narrative.
>>
>>79366276
truly the patrician autist
>>
>>79364025
There are no signs of Lee being an alcoholic after or prior to the accident
>>
>>79366355
He gets blackout drunk and picks fights with groups of strangers, he got piss-drunk at his brother's funeral and refused to eat anything, he's got a beer in his hand in pretty much every scene of the movie, his wife calls him out on his drinking several times in flashback scenes before "the incident," the incident itself was a drunken mistake, etc etc etc.
>>
>>79366355
He was an alcoholic but a controllable one, he didn't need to be blacked out drunk 24/7.
>>
>>79366355

Lee is an alcoholic.

Most people don't understand that this is what high functioning alcoholism looks like. Alcoholics are not solely those people who spend 12 hours a day at the bar or who drink an eighth each day at home while yelling. Lee is almost always with a drink in his hand, every meal is accompanied by a drink, he is even seen in bed with a beer at least a couple of times.

I wouldn't say he's a dangerous alcoholic, but he is certainly a functioning alcoholic, even if he happens to be functioning on what would socially be considered a very low level.

Functioning alcoholic here.
>>
>>79366355
did we watch the same movie?
>>
>>79362617
why didnt he just kill himself as soon as he could after he got out of the police station? he did an unredeemable thing that no one should be able to live with
>>
>>79364317
For you.
>>
>>79366578
Because it wouldn't be as dramatic as doing it in the middle of a police station.
>>
>>79366578
he wasn't on camera
>>
>>79366578
His brother wouldn't let him. He's not a complete asshole, he still has a sense of obligation towards his family, he realizes that suicide would just be the easy way out of a tragedy that he created, and he hates himself way too much to think he deserves an easy out.
>>
It was an existential crisis
>>
>>79366578

I'm sure he was brought home and kept under close watch after that attempt. His brother probably kept him together as well.

I mean he did basically just punish himself for years after by living in a basement and refusing to take on any new relationships that might bring him happiness.
>>
>>79363104
he really is so attractive
way more attractive then Ben Afflec
>>
>>79366215
this
>>
>>79366172
Not really because he can excuse his behavior with an extreme tragedy, while we're just pussy losers. That said, I function better than him at least.
>>
>>79363104
You're a woman?
>>
>>79366786

You can't find beauty in people of the same gender as you?

Are you a homo or something?
>>
>>79366970
he is
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.