[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't this movie get more love?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: perks-of-being-a-wallflower.jpg (255KB, 1356x858px) Image search: [Google]
perks-of-being-a-wallflower.jpg
255KB, 1356x858px
>bearable and realistic high school drama
>topics like mental health, bullying, sexuality, love, sexual harrassment, family, abuse
>90s nostalgia
>great unpretentious soundtrack
>emma watson doing american accent!
>also, logan lehrman, literally the least hateable guy in the world
>>
>>79359910
watch All About Lily Chou-Chou instead
>>
>>79359910
>realistic high school drama
>implying
>>
because its a piece of trash
>>
it was cringe that's why

"ill blind you"

who says that? some chad imagining himself being a badass?
>>
I had a shitty high school experience, and thus avoid films that depict even lightly-idealized plots in that setting, because it makes me feel bad about how I had no friends and no gf.
>>
>>79359910
because no one wants to watch plane-faced worst emma spend an hour and a half pretending to be a desirable, quirky down-to-earth special snowflake
>>
Emma Watson was a in a lesbian trio movie? Why did I not hear about this before?
>>
Spectacular Now was a much better movie.
>>
>>79359910
>protagonist is supposed to be a loser
>has multiple friends and two gfs to choose from, one of them being literally the most wanted qt in the world

When will we get an actual realistic, full on bleak representation of the high school experience?

No ridiculous character development with him somehow getting the hottest girl in the school and suddenly becoming the "cool" kid with a bunch of friends.
Just a character study of an isolated high school loner struggling through everyday social interactions, is it too much to ask?
>>
I love it secretly and watch it like twice every six months.
>>
File: 1096069.jpg (139KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1096069.jpg
139KB, 1200x800px
>>79359910
>least hateable
FUCK HIM
>>
>>79360250
Probably wouldn't be very fun to watch/wouldn't make any money.
>>
>>79360250
>2 hours of an ugly failure with unattractive personality traits failing to progress or improve himself at all
Sounds enthralling
>>
>>79359910
It's really cringe also Logan and Emma can't act.
>>
>>79359987
Idealized: Sister is beaten by boyfriend, guy is recovering from trauma, best friend kills himself, completely isolated and friendless during most of school life, gay guy beaten because of his sexuality, crush keeps dating douchebags, all friends turn their back on MC after some misunderstanding
>>79360250
Protagonist is a loner loser and has no friends, he is even bullied by some random bitch with braces from literature class (???). His new group of friends are the unpopular kids. The first girl he dates forces him into a relationship and just wants to dominate him. Emma Watson friendzones him. They actually all graduate, so he is friendless again by the end of the film.
>>
>>79359910
>bearable

you answered your own question
>>
>>79360304
>>79360365
What I described is just the setting, the director could focus on just one specific aspect and let the film be about that.

Also not all films must be big entertaining hollywood fests, Jim Jarmusch made Paterson which is literally a movie about a bus driver and his drama free relationship with his wife where nothing really happens and that made money.
>>
It's alright
I watched it with some friends and they got annoyed when I pointed out he had the best freshmen year ever and his life wasn't difficult at all.
>>
>>79360556
>muh valuable life lessons learned through hardship
How about two years of nothing happening that leave a blank space in your youth so vague you can't even fill it with regret
>Well that's your own fault
Sure but I still don't want to watch your shitty movie
>>
>>79359910
Lol, he was "raped" by his aunt, boo hoo, what a trauma to go through.
>>
>>79360365
Would be if it ends in a glorious 30 minute finale where he goes full reb'n'vodka on the normies.
Polytechnique came close to this, I loved that film when he starts shooting cunts up.
>>
>>79360556
>is invited along to social gatherings by peers who take pity on him
>attends numerous parties
>kisses Emma Watson
>gets asked out by another girl
>has some admittedly shitty PTSD but has people who support him to overcome it.

Guy had a better time than I did.
>>
>>79360556
>The first girl he dates forces him into a relationship and just wants to dominate him

Oooh what a terrible terrible life, non losers have perfect relationship right?
An actual depressed abused loner would not even start an interaction with any of them, let alone end up having multiple gfs to choose from at one point.
Not to mention that laughable scene where he beats up all the Chads in the school, toppest of keks
>>
>>79360614
With all the shootings lately, I imagine "lonely, dejected white guy" is probably shitty cultural capital right now.

I doubt you could really sell a sympathetic narrative successfully, at least until that demographic stops being responsible for a significant number of domestic terrorism incidents in the West.
>>
File: polytechnique.jpg (88KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
polytechnique.jpg
88KB, 1920x1080px
>>79360749
>"I-I am not a femini.."
>*immediately opens fire on all of them*

Suprised how Polytechnique isn't considered as an essential /tv/ kino experience
>>
because its pretty cliche
>>
>>79360755
Thats not even half of it
>Gets too fuck Emma Watson
>Biggest problem with girlfriend was not the issue of having one but her wanting to go to second base too often
>Kisses other girl in front of girlfriend which should alienate the friend group forever
>Instead beat up a fucking football player years older and get back in good graces
>Everyone in that group loves you even the gay guy randomly
>And countless other pretty great experiences in his freshman fucking year
I wouldve killed too have a freshman year half as good, so I dont have much sympathy
>>
>>79359910
all I see in this shit flicks are
>degeneracy
>degeneracy
>degeneracy

no thanks
>>
>>79360664
>How about two years of nothing happening that leave a blank space in your youth so vague you can't even fill it with regret
fuck anon dont go there

anyways, i think its a pretty good representation of a child abuse victim suffering from anxiety, loneliness, and finally realizing and remembering his trauma. cause i've had a pretty similar experience in HS/ trauma.
OFCOURSE its highly dramatized/ idealized cause who the fuck would want to watch traumatized loser not talking to anyone in class, smoking weed and listening to music for 2 hours.
that's a life lesson, actually. if you fight through it, your life WILL be something worth talking about.
>>
>>79360870
Because not all of us glorify mass murderers. You are part of what makes no one care about isolated, socially excluded. white guys
>>
>>79360755
Here's the real purpose of the film - it wasn't to give solace to those who have actually been ostracised, it was to placate the fears of normies that they were actually shitty people to said ostracised at school. Normies, when they reach their late 20's, start to realise they were nasty people towards that one guy at school. I should know, I've now had two of these assholes come to asking, in a round about way, for forgiveness (and like the pliant idiot I am, I've given them that solace). So this film shows the normies as being great guys who really try to help and aren't assholes, nope, not at all.

If you try to watch this film as someone who actually had a terrible time at school, you'll be bitterly disappointed or exceptionally angry.
>>
>>79360870
Because most of the film is actually about the women, and how great, strong and intelligent they were and how "The Shooter" (they never, ever call him Lepin, nor do they explore his horrible childhood where his bitch mother made him suffer terribly) is an evil misogynist. It's a really ridiculously over the top feminist film, and the only way to watch it bearably is to watch edited version where it's just Lepin going Cho on the normies.
>>
>>79359910
It's simply *not* realistic at all. It feels horribly constructed, like you are on the railroad to some teenage catharsis. I bet most of the people on this board had a shitty school time and I bet most of the people on this board did not have some enlightenment at the end of it. There is nothing to learn from it. It's just blunt emotional abuse, nothing that feels good at any point and nothing bad enough to cry about it in a movie. There are no super special, creative and attractive people that appear in a deus-ex-machina fashion to help you out of your personal crisis. Nobody gives a fuck, nobody wants to hear about it. Everybody is busy enough with their own shit and probably is kind of glad to have some people to spit on in the hierarchy of high school life.

Bottom line: It romanticizes things that do not deserve to be romanticized. The evil thing about high school bullying is that there is no climax to it. It just kind of slowly goes away. Nobody apologizes, nobody ever talks about it ever again. It just fades away and leaves you with the feeling of things not being settled.
>>
>>79360870
Polytechnique is one of the most traumatizing movies ever to me. Felt like shit afterwards, super intense.
>>
I rented it because I thought it was some lesbian thing, then it turned out that the other two on the poster are dudes...
>>
>>79361125
>The evil thing about high school bullying is that there is no climax to it
Exactly. No one get their comeuppance, no one becomes a "better" person, no one finds out deep truths about themselves or becomes a stronger person. It just ends on the last day you're there, and slowly fades from the memory, occasionally brought up by your ex-abusers as little jokes on social media ("Remember when that guy at high school had dog turds put on his bag? Lol, it was so bad... but really funny!").

This is why school shootings happen - people want there to be a climax, they want some order, they want some cosmic justice to happen because the actual truth (that there is no conclusion, just the rest of your life living with the occasional uncomfortable remembrance that your formative years were marked by stunted, wilted growth) is to frightening to deal with.
>>
>>79361264
>>79361125

But isn't that the purpose of narrative? To transpose meaning and arc into events that doesn't exist in reality?

Most of life experience is inherently meaningless, that's why we take in fiction - because it applies meaning and gives context and purpose - a beginning then climax, then conclusion - to both the familiar and the fantastical.
>>
>>79360250
>>79360632
>>79360664
>>79360673
>>79360749
>>79360760
>>79360884

I don't think the film was about "tragic teenage years". It was mostly about being lonely and how some situations can help people overcome that. I think it was realistic in the sense that it was not like the typical American films from the 80s and 90s, which actually portrayed high school life in a highly caricatured manner.

By the logic of some of these comments, than basically people from third world countries should be unable to feel anything for any American film, which isn't the case at all. It is fucking called empathy, trying to understand other people's situations. If you cannot enjoy something because you "had it worse", then that just means that you are not emotionally developed enough.
>>
>>79361125
>>79361264
>The evil thing about high school bullying is that there is no climax to it

Yeah, this phrase is actually very appropriate and I agree with it 100%. However, a film's purpose is to show a resolution, even if there wouldn't be any in real life.

That being said, I don't think all schools are like Columbine pre-shooting. Not everyone high school have bullies at the top of the social hierarchy and not every victim is systematically bullied (most are only occasional victims). And well, this film didn't actually focus on the bullying that much, it was not a central point of the film. Personally, when I think about high school, I don't think about bullying, I mostly remember just being bored in class and hanging out with my boring classmates.
>>
>>79361336
narratives work and have work for all human history because they do actually happen, they mimic life experiences, in a metaphysical way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuD2Aa0zFiA
also watch jordan peterson on mythology
>>
>>79361389
Fucking this
>>
>>79361733
>However, a film's purpose is to show a resolution
So do it as I said you should do it - have an actual, honest expose of the factors that turn people into school shooters, and then end the film with that climax. Have an actual discussion about bad parents, a cold society, the cruelity of children and then end it with a school shooting.

It's needed. Society can't keep living in this delusion that school shooters are born and not made, or living in the delusion that the majority of kids at school are pleasant, nice people when the truth is that around 70% of kids engage in low grade bullying of a few individuals, with a further 20-25% doing the actual violence.

Or maybe that's why they don't do these sort of films, because normies want to live a life where they think they're fantastic and without reproach - they don't want to be reminded that they engaged in cruelity against an entirely innocent person, and instead consume saccharine shit like Perks that lulls them into this delusion that life wasn't so tough for the people they tortured after all.
>>
>>79362454
I wonder if you watched American Pie and thought: "THIS IS SO UNREALISTIC, SHERMANATOR SHOULD HAVE GONE ON A KILLING RAMPAGE LIKE ELLIOT RODGER"
>>
>>79362600
American Pie was clearly a comedy which relied on cliches of high school experince. Perks pretends to be this realistic expose of loneliness in high school. Your argument is redundant.
>>
>>79360250
watch The Dirties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dirties
>>
>>79360870
I think a really subversive movie would be a teenage high school romance with every bell and whistle, nice soundtrack, likable attractive leads, maybe some inkling of trouble then everyone in it gets shot by the heartthrob everyone likes.

"Everyone loved my son, nobody ever could have seen this coming"

The End

Thinking about it this sorta sounds cheesy but there might be a way to make it heartbreaking and powerful.
>>
>>79359910
Because it's trash, it was a boring shitfest and Emma can't act
>>
>>79359910
Baby's 1st existential crisis huh?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.