[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

File: SPLIT_RED.jpg (488KB, 1013x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SPLIT_RED.jpg
488KB, 1013x1500px
Thoughts on this movie?
>>
I haven't seen it, but people keep saying it's surprisingly good and I just can't imagine how that could possibly be the case. Anyone who's seen it, please explain.
>>
>>79352629

>I just can't imagine how that could possibly be the case.

You explain that reasoning first.
>>
>>79352629
It's just a really well executed simple thriller that has a phenomal performance from James McAvoy.
Loses its steam towards the end though.
>>
>>79352629
What a retarded ass post, just go watch the damn movir and get your own opinion on it.
>>
Great movie though it leans too hard on the "people with mental illnesses are dangerous" trope
>>
>>79352682
But that's the point, it's a psychological thriller that turns out to be a superhero origin story.
>>
Started out okay then turned into complete shit, especially the ending. Literally capeshit.
>>
>M Night Shamanmablam puts together a simple, basic, movie with a midly interesting premise
>Recieves high praise because everyone expected complete shit
>>
CRUSHED BALLS
>>
Worth it for McAvoy's acting

Double worth it for the implication at the end
>>
It's crooked..

How hard did the people in your theater jump?
>>
File: 18-split.w600.h315.2x.jpg (45KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
18-split.w600.h315.2x.jpg
45KB, 1200x630px
>THE BROKEN ARE THE MORE EVOLVED

Literally made for this site, it's kino allright
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (31KB, 480x373px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
31KB, 480x373px
THE BEAST VS DUNN CONFIRMED

i expect the beast will want to eat Dunn to gain his powers since it's implied that he gains the traits of people he consumes

and old man Dunn might not be as unbreakable now and the beast will probably go around murdering shit to get him to square up

and then we'll get a scene of Bruce Willis strangeling a man to death for three minutes
>>
>>79352482
It was good. I thought it was a solid thriller for the most part, with a few silly moments. James McAvoy was absolutely amazing in it though. I also loved the reveal at the end. So keen for whatever comes next.
>>
>>79352664
The premise of split personalities is just so unbelievably hokey. And in a trailer, it has this woman talking about how it's like the next step in human evolution or something which is just retarded, but in fairness maybe it has a different context in the actual movie.

>>79352691
>wasting time and money on a movie I have no interest in beyond a fleeing curiosity while posting on 4chan

>>79352686
I guess the performance aspect I can see the appeal of, not unlike other stories where one actor plays multiple roles (eg Orphan Black).
But as said, I just can't get past split personalities, unless it has some kinda scifi tweest to justify it as something all the way imaginary.
Maybe it's just highly targeted autism and normal people aren't bothered by that kind of thing.
>>
>>79352817
>Might not be as unbreakable
>The entire point is other than drowning he's unbreakable

I fucking sure as hell hope he isn't any weaker
>>
>>79352817
You're one giant ignorant cunt for not putting spoiler tags you know
>>
>>79352725
>>79352727

Hang on, is this another Unbreakable?
>>
your face when the Shamalamadingdong Cinematic Universe is going to easily surpass the one DC is trying to establish
>>
>>79352871
>Going into a thread for a film you haven't seen
Oh yeah great fucking idea
>>
>>79352858
>But as said, I just can't get past split personalities, unless it has some kinda scifi tweest to justify it as something all the way imaginary.

It has a pretty big twist which justifies the "not so realistic" part of it
>>
Some of it was good, some of it was bad. To be honest I'm pretty SPLIT on it.
hahahahaha
>>
>>79352864
what's the fun in an indomitable superhero?
>>79352871
trust me the movie isn't spoiled at all
>>
File: 1486652099046.jpg (34KB, 312x389px) Image search: [Google]
1486652099046.jpg
34KB, 312x389px
>>79352942

raffed
>>
>>79352884
No, it's another origin story like Unbreakable (but in this case, a supervillain) set in the same universe. The third movie is going to bring both characters together.
>>
>>79352957
But he's not indomitable. He almost dies in unbreakable, the only reason he doesn't is because the kids help him out of the pool
>>
>>79352482
>that twist clue right on the fucking poster

Shyamalan you absolute madman
>>
>>79352936
>>79352967

Interdasting. Maybe it'll be worth a look when it hits TV/streaming after all.
>>
>>79352917
That won't be a hard feat, sadly.
>>
File: 1480713542118.gif (2MB, 311x223px) Image search: [Google]
1480713542118.gif
2MB, 311x223px
>>79352942
>>
>>79352482
I was looking forward to this because it had such potential to be super retarded because TWENTY SIX PERSONALITIES. But then when I saw it had okay reviews and an okay score on IMDb, and especially when you remember that everyone likes to hate M. Night Shyamalan, I knew it that he toned it down. And he did. So no super dumb fun stuff really, although there are a few scene. Would actually be okay fun if it wasn't so long. Like most movies, it shouldn't have gone into triple digit minutage.
>>
I'm just glad the qt brown girl was in her panties for a good portion of the movie.
>>
>>79352983
And do you really think he's going near water? Is the beast going to kidnap his family and make him 1v1 him next to a pool or try to fight him on a cruise ship
>>
Not going to watch this bit my guess was that he was a werewolf or something

How wrong am I?
>>
>>79353028

>So no super dumb fun stuff really,

Hedwig dance says you're wrong.

>>79353046

>power of tits
>power of hips
>power of tears

Dennis really hit the jackpot.
>>
>>79353046
I need some ass pics now
>>
File: split_anya_taylor-joy.jpg (116KB, 670x364px) Image search: [Google]
split_anya_taylor-joy.jpg
116KB, 670x364px
i could only think about fucking her, why does she have to look so good
>>
>>79353068

You're right metaphorically

>>79353083

Come on Casey, take off your clothes, animals don't wear clothes :^)
>>
>>79353063
I don't see what point you're trying to make. He was thrown into a pool and got caught in the pool cover, and almost drowned. Just because he's got superstrength doesn't mean he's immortal, he ages like anyone else. At no point does the film try to establish him as a discount Superman.
>>
>>79353068
You are spot on, he's indeed an actual werewolf, shyamalan waited 16 years to finally make a werewolf film yes
>>
>>79352482
Was okay. I did a marathon of all Shyamalan movies before I went.

>The Sixth Sense
7/10

>Unbreakable
7/10

>Signs
9/10

>The Village
7/10

>Lady in the Water
1/10

>The Happening
4/10

>The Last Airbender
2/10

>After Earth
3/10

>The Visit
6/10

>Split
6/10
>>
>>79353046
Was it me, or did they make the scantily clad portions of the girls more noticeable than usual?

I don't know, but every time they came on, my eyes immediately darted to their panties or exposed parts more often than most movies make me; as I'm the type who proudly takes it in the arse and mouth. Even the main girl, I swear they light her in a way that makes her cleavage the first thing you focus on whenever she appears on screen. Made even more uncomfortable by the fact they're supposed to be playing underage girls.
>>
>>79353116
He survived a horrible car accident when he was like 17, he survived a train wreck that killed EVERYONE he has super strength and can't be hurt he can't swim or do water he's superman

Nobody fucking likes these invincible superhero movies, and nobody except Dunn knows his weakness there's no tension to the movie

The best story arcs produced are aged superheroes with fading powers anyway
>>
>>79353186

Congrats, you're straight.
>>
>>79353068
>How wrong am I?
Well he doesn't grow fur or anything. But you're getting there.
>>
>>79353212
Well, I guess I have some unfortunately news for my husband then.
>>
File: 1412790576918.jpg (105KB, 1255x941px) Image search: [Google]
1412790576918.jpg
105KB, 1255x941px
>Never saw Unbreakable
>No promotional material suggested this film had anything to do with Unbreakable
>mfw having to literally google the ending
>>
>>79353186
>drawn to young teens in their underwear
Impossible
>>
>>79353230
Good thing the entire movie is easily digestible without knowing Unbreakable, and in fact makes no references at all to it until what is effectively the post-credits scene.
>>
>>79353230

>there are people who have still not watched Unbreakable

I was so bent out of shape when I heard someone at the end say "it's the dude from Sixth sense!"
>>
>>79353230
>Never saw Unbreakable
Why are you even here?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>79353068
Here's the entire movie's plot:

>Guy kidnaps three girls and throws them in his dungeon
>Meanwhile we keep seeing flashbacks of the main girl's past where her father taught her how to hunt, and that she was raped constantly by her uncle. He gained custody of her when the father died too, so she hasn't had a very good life
>Meanwhile we have McAvoy seemingly change personalities (and appearance, i.e. wearing different clothes, sometimes wearing glasses, all reflection of the persona he currently is)
>Psychiatrist he sees notes that she has many patients like him and who she has observed over the world who believe the personalities that inhabit them can actually change their biology, i.e. if a personality is diabetic, so is the patient, if the next personality is a weight lifter, suddenly the patient becomes super strong
>We're told that the girls have been kidnapped by McAvoy for a ceremony for "the beast", and that they will be eaten
>Psychiatrist keeps getting emergency emails from McAvoy, and when she attends a session with him, he just blows it off
>Turns out only 3 of his personalities have control anymore and the rest are trapped, they believe The Beast is some kind of demi-god
>At the end the personality of The Beast turns him into an almost invincible villain who eats the girls and can climb along walls and shit, able to bend 3 inch thick steel prison bars, etc
>Credits role
>Queue capeshit-esque sequence of someone in a diner saying "The Beast? Wasn't there another guy a while ago like that who believed in stuff and changed?"
>Bruce Willis sitting there, "his name was Mr.Glass", camera pans down to his work-attire with "Dunn" on his name tag
>Cut to black

That's how fucking retarded the ending was. It was literal cape shit, including a Marvel-esque stinger.
>>
>>79353186
they definitely sexualised them more than I thought. but that was essentially one of the running themes of the movie.
>>
>>79353258

fucking kek
>>
>>79353171
>Signs
>9/10

Finally, someone who agrees that Signs is the best Shyamalan film. 6S is pleb filter trash, only Unbreakable competes.
>>
>>79353063
The beast won't do that..
I honestly think they both are going to bite the bullet at the end. Dunn is old and if he touches the beast , he will see that he is a victim mostly , tragic villain albeit and when the beast will see Dunn, he will consider him ..broken but a challenge.

The girl (Anya Taylor ) will probably more like a pillar of balance between the two, in a way she has no powers..she only has the drive to survive and overcome. A human, broken and evolved, but the best of all three worlds (beast man and hero)
>>
>>79353187
Elijah knows
>>
>>79353272
I hope you just copypasted that and not autistically spent time writing that whole unnecessary post.
>>
>>79353272

Wait, we have to watch flashbacks of a girl's rapeful upbringing only for her to get eaten? What a fucking downer.
>>
it was alright, which is far above shamamlamanamananams standard
the biggest letdown was during the climax of the movie, the protagonists struggle was solved by doing nothing
shamaman had suck a boner for the super-natural elements of the movie that he forgot to tell a human story, just repeating "the damaged are more evolved" is not a point if you dont show the relatable protagonist actually acting as such
>>
>>79353292
>Dunn exposed to everything that happened to Kevin while choking his ass out
>Dunn has probably been going around strangling criminals to death while also reading their minds
>plot is Dunn retired from being a vigilante because of how emotionally exhausting it was

being dunn is suffering
>>
>>79353272
Was it implied that the uncle killed the father?
>>
>>79353302
Elijah's bitch ass is in super prison though I guess he could mastermind the whole thing or maybe Kevin might just eat him
>>
>>79353372

>not wearing long sleeves and gloves

Guilt free asphyxiation
>>
So if this is really as decent as people say, what explains Shyamalan's inconsistent as fuck body of work?
I always assumed his initial descent must have been a result of increased creative freedom preventing anyone from calling out his stupid decisions. Is he getting more penned in these days, or just inexplicably better? I don't understand how someone who's proudly produced some of the utter shit he's done could just magically get better again, or how someone who's fucked up really huge films could somehow be more penned in on a weird little thriller.
Is he's an extremely slow cycling bi polar finally back on an upswing or something?
>>
>>79353372
I see it mostly in the same way.
In the end they should both die, but Kevin mostly by his own hand (maybe have Kevin actually finish himself off while in control of his body) after killing Dunn or something..
Dunn not being able to take a life again..

Would be tragic but nice imo
>>
>>79353305
She doesn't get eaten, the other two "pure" ones get eaten because they lived perfect innocent carefree lives, while he thinks "the broken are the more evolved"

The movie is taking the horror trope of killing everyone but the virgin girl and flipping it completely.
>>
>>79352629
They're wrong. I mean it's not as terrible as you might expect. But it's not that good desu.
>>
>>79353414
Judging by the production of The Visit of Split, it looks like he's working with different producers and studios than before.

Or maybe he just needed more practise.

Or a cocaine problem we know nothing of. Who knows.
>>
>>79353414
Because he is give to much money which he cannot fucking handle.
The lesser the budget , the better his films are
>>
>>79353414
>So if this is really as decent as people say, what explains Shyamalan's inconsistent as fuck body of work?

Yeah, every other director other than him has NEVER made a bad film.
>>
>>79353449

But 'Devil' was the worst of the worst, that can't have had a real budget.
>>
>>79353497
He didn't direct Devil.
>>
>>79353453

There's a difference between a bad film here and there and a highly visible descent until your name regularly elicits audible groans when it shows up in cinema trailers.
>>
>>79353497
He didn't direct/write devil tho
>>
>>79353428
oh yea all of them should, they're both way too OP for the universe

>>79353408
yea but what if he's just out and about and Kevin comes up and slaps his girlfriends ass, unless he's wearing gloves and sleeves everywhere like a madman

oh or
>Dunn is so full of guilt and fear from killing all those criminals
>is now a shut in who is always wearing gloves and sleeves, his house is full of newspaper clippings of crimes he probably could have prevented and people he could have saved
>his wife has left him and he doesn't see his son
>his fear and self doubt have basically turned off his powers
>Kevin starts stalking him to eat
>>
>>79353504

Oh shit, you're right! He didn't even write it, he's only credited as 'story.' My bad, that's good to know, because holy fuck that was a bad one.
>>
>>79353552
Lady in the Water is his only bad film.
>>
>>79353565
actually After Earth was fucking awful
>>
There is nothing wrong with Shamalamabingbong's directing ability. He just became a bit of a laughing stock for awhile because of all the TWEESTS. I rewatched Signs recently and the way that movie escalates tension towards the big reveal of the aliens is actually really impressive. He knows how to make good movies, but every now and then he falters, like any director.
>>
>>79353565

The Happening, Last Airbender, After Earth.

And even his decent movies are overflowing with pretentious Shymalanisms.
>>
>>79353589
After Earth was ruined by Will Smith, who took charge of the casting and character direction. Shyamalan focused solely on the aesthetics and cinematography, which was good.

>>79353597
See above. The Last Airbender was ruined by the studio, who wanted to save shekels during the 3D conversion by cutting out 1/3 of the story, thus ruining the pacing. The rest of the problems are explained mostly by it being a children's film, though it's definitely one of his weaker efforts.

The Happening is genuinely good, I laughed many times which is more than I can say for any comedysince.
>>
>>79353592
>He just became a bit of a laughing stock for awhile because of all the TWEESTS.
Plenty of directors have traits they're known for, it doesn't lead to them being laughingstocks, if anything it makes them more famous and respected for having a visible niche they contribute to the film world.
Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, Rob Zombie, Robert Rodriguez, Christopher Nolan, David Finscher and Darren Aaranovsky have basically each made the same film over and over again their entire careers and they're famous for it, because their schtick is fucking well done and being able to recognising their style is a pleasant experience, rather than Shyamalan's style which just wears out its welcome.

>like any director.
And yet 'any director' doesn't become a laughingstock.
There's a reason everyone's so surprised that he finally managed to cobble together something decent again. Everyone doesn't just turn on a random director for doing what every other director's doing.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.