[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come actors who become directors never develop their own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: lkl1.jpg (34KB, 651x386px) Image search: [Google]
lkl1.jpg
34KB, 651x386px
How come actors who become directors never develop their own style?

Ridley Scott or David Fincher, you can guess immediately who made the movie. Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood? You would have no idea who made it.
>>
>>79340925
Gibson and Eastwood aren't auteurs. They make movies to be consumed by everyday folk.
>>
>>79340994
Can you think of any actos who got into directing and has a distinct style? Tarantino doesn;t count.
>>
I disagree on Eastwood. I think his films are highly distinctive.
>>
Eastwood has a style. It's very Detroit
>>
Ben Affleck movies have a very distinctive, tense style.
>>
>>79341474
>>79341424
Eastwood in top form has distinct style but I feel that his lesser films tend to simply blend in with the rest of Hollywood.
>>
>>79341401
chaplin
cassavets
woody allen
>>
>>79340925

You're the kind of pleb that hasn't seen a film shot before 1970.
>>
>>79340925
That "distinctive" style you're referring to is usually the work of the DP or screenwriter.
>>
Rob Reiner movies are pretty distinct
>>
>>79341424
His style is cheap, basic, and shot on a best buy digital camera
>>
File: ok.webm (132KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
ok.webm
132KB, 720x404px
>>79341687
ok
>>
>>79341646
You're an aspiring DP, aren't you? Literally the only type of person who'd believe this
>>
>>79341750
As a DP your job is to implement the director's vision. The only time the DP's style is dominant is when it is a novice director relying on them for things they shouldn't
>>
>>79341687
>Sully is one of the only feature length movies ever to be shot almost entirely on IMAX
>>
>>79343056
and still looked that cheap. eastwood is a chump
>>
>>79340994
what about apacalypto, and passion of christ, both done in subtitled dead languages. That isn't exactly aimed at normies is it. He didn't need to add the languages to tell the story either, they could have been done in english just fine.
>>
>>79340994
>>79340925
auteur theory is a meme.
>>
>>79343234
It looked good. youre a pleb.
>>
>>79340994
Eastwood has his own style though. So does Gibson in my opinion.
>>
>>79340925

Mel Gibson's style is visceral
Robert Redford's style is melodrama
Eastwood's style is gritty emotion

I don't see how you're this fucking stupid. Is it because they don't do LE EBIN SCI-FI films?
>>
File: Clint Eastwood's Eiger Sanction.jpg (72KB, 493x755px) Image search: [Google]
Clint Eastwood's Eiger Sanction.jpg
72KB, 493x755px
>yfw Eastwood James Bond film
>>
>>79344209
This. They def have their own styles and actuallyl differ wildly from non-actors-turned-directors in that their films focus on letting actors act rather than in your face camera work or rapid editing or any other dumb bullshit gimmick. Just a solid, simple script and a couple of well-written characters can be more than enough for a great story and a great movie.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.