[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manchester by the Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 273
Thread images: 32

File: Snapshot - 69.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot - 69.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Not sure if it's because of my period or the film was actually that heart wrenching.
>>
>>79328286
>that moment when he's sitting on the back of the boat and he smiles for the first time in the whole movie
...if only the film ended right there
>>
>>79328362
IDK man, I felt like that ending was if not awesome, kind of fitting.
I mean he is a totally broken character, really didn't expect him to move back with Patrick and a so called "very happy ending".
>>
>>79328286

The scene at the police station was pure kino.
>>
>>79328627
Most effective horror film of 2016, what a fucking nightmare
>>
>>79328286
>my period
kys roastie
>>
>>79328627
I planned watching A Man Called Ove, Land of Mine and Nocturnal Animals after this.
Damn! I started with the wrong movie. I'm so devastated right now.
>>
>when he tries to kill himself in the police station

Fuck Casey is great
>>
>>79328804
You can skip Nocturnal Animals, desu. Or don't pay for it, at least.
>>
>>79328791
go eat tendies
>>
>>79328827
He really does a great fucking job. For the first 30 minutes or so, I kind of didn't get the hype, he's very low-key and understated and in many scenes he's barely "acting" at all.

But at a certain point I realized I was legitimately worried about his character and desperate for any sign of hope that he'd be OK, and it's rare for a movie to get to me like that anymore
>>
>>79328902

I knew he was great when the first flashback rolls and I saw him being this social blue collar guy instead of the depressed fuck he is in the present. The contrast is very well done and it hints the magnitude of his transformation

Movie of the year for me in any case
>>
>>79329061
I knew he was great when I saw him for the first time at the morgue. Look at his hand gestures when he enters there. He was so puzzled like any normal person in real life.
>>
I saw this at a theater that all the Jewish ladies in Boston go to and everyone was crying.
>>
I had the weirdest reaction to this film. I felt numb at the end. But I was thinking about it all the way home (with my hands in my pockets like Lee) and I sat there eating and thinking about the film and suddenly I started to well up. I have never had such a delayed emotional response to a film. If he doesn't win the Oscar I'll be annoyed.
>>
My uncle told me I remind him of Lee. I haven't seen the movie yet. Am I doing something wrong in life?
>>
>>79329536
I saw a lot of myself in Lee. Self-destruction, depression, social awkwardness stemming from low self-esteem...

He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.
>>
>>79329430
>If he doesn't win the Oscar I'll be annoyed.

Seriously this.

I saw Manchester by the Sea and Hacksaw Ridge the same weekend and jesus fucking christ the contrast was pretty HARD if you know what I mean. I felt I was watching a cartoon or a capeshit flick with HR
>>
>>79329536
(Maybe) yes. But don't worry you're not alone anon.
>>
>>79329536

Do you have crippling sense of guilt and a "just die in my sleep already" attitude in life?

I do.
>>
>>79329584
>He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.
Oh dear
>>
I pretty much am Lee except i never burned down my house full of kids. I work a shitty construction job for over 70 hours a week. Haven't had friends or cared about myself or anything else for almost ten years now.
>>
File: mpv-shot0355 (1).jpg (286KB, 1912x1028px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0355 (1).jpg
286KB, 1912x1028px
>>79328827
>When you realize Lee pulls the trigger of the gun, but it's not loaded and fails a suicide.
>When you realize you can hear a quiet "please" coming off Lee when the police wrestle the gun away from him.
wev
>>
>tfw Lee rejecting his ex wife so he could just keep on suffering was a more satisfying revenge than the one in Nocturnal Animals, a movie about revenge

And I liked Nocturnal Animals
>>
File: 1486830417140.png (2MB, 1280x1373px) Image search: [Google]
1486830417140.png
2MB, 1280x1373px
Why does he have as gf the worst girl, shitty singer, can't even score with her and slut girl aviable instead of titty well mannered caring beautiful girl? This was fucking atrocious and makes me hate him so fucking much.

Also, don't waste the ice cream if you aren't eat it fully you fucking disgrace I want to fucking punch him in the face so badly
>>
>>79329754
Horrible media reading skill.
>>
>>79328804

A Man Called Ove is one of those movies who cheat you to death and make you cry like a baby when the movie itself doesn't deserve it. Land of Mine is pretty good and should win Best Foreign Language, but it will not.
>>
>>79329801
>Land of Mine should win over the masterpiece that is PV's "Elle"

No. Watch more films.
>>
File: 1478907564145.jpg (34KB, 347x440px) Image search: [Google]
1478907564145.jpg
34KB, 347x440px
>>79329758
>.png (2.49 MB
>>
You're all praising it as a comedy, right?
>>
>>79329735

I think the gun was with the safety on, then he unlocks it and tries again but he got the cops over him alredy.

To be honest I was calling all the way that the house will get on fire... Not so surprising, the best thing was his acting and the character.
>>
File: u884.webm (1MB, 630x480px) Image search: [Google]
u884.webm
1MB, 630x480px
>that ever so slight bit of hope that he might inch towards getting better when he says his new place will have another bed

He's probably broke beyond repair, but that was a nice touch

>>79329584
>He turns down a lot of social invitations because he doesn't feel he deserves them.

too fucking close to home anon, too close
>>
>>79329818

Elle is not nominated. I'm talking about nominated movies this year dude. And I alredy watched Elle weeks ago so go back to your basement, pleb.
>>
>>79329758
>Why does he have as gf the worst girl, shitty singer, can't even score with her and slut girl aviable instead of titty well mannered caring beautiful girl?
Umm, maybe because he is 16?! He doesn't want a girl acting like his mother all the time; just a girlfriend?
>>
>>79329845

I think there is a new Avengers movie coming out, you should really check that out!
>>
>>79329758
What are you talking about, the brunette was an obnoxious bitch. One of Lee's best moments was "no, I don't like her and I don't want her here tonight." He was really acting like a good father figure in that scene.
>>
>>79329896
>And I alredy watched Elle weeks ago so go back to your basement, pleb.
I think your psychosis spilled some spaghetti on the alphabet soup.

Anyways Land of Mine wasn't nothing noteworthy.
>>
>>79329801
Toni Erdmann? Not talking about if it will win or not, who the fuck cares about that!
Asking you liked it or not?
>>
>>79329584
He turns down purely social invitations because he is dead inside person that can't talk about anything. How could he? He burned his family , there's not much you can talk about after that. The one time he goes in to help Patrick he just can't talk about anything but he isn't really spilling spaghetti like a hikikomori would.

If he was a hikikomori he wouldn't work as a reliable janitor in Boston or look for work in MbtS (both of which he does in the film).
>>
Y O R K
O
R
K
>>
>>79328286

It was good. I felt bad for based afleck
>>
>>79329589
Personally I think he should get it retrospectively for Robert Ford as well. It's the most nuanced performance in years. By Hollywood standards anyway.

>>79329657
Yeah.

>>79329882
Way too close for me as well. I felt the scene where he turns down the first invite to come in to the woman's home so hard.

>>79330116
Well, that too. But it's an endless cycle. He knows what he needs to do but can't bring himself to do it because he feels the need to punish himself. Survivors guilt.
>>
You have five seconds to describe how you'd handle this situation.
>>
>>79330286
Exactly like he did, probably. ;_;
>>
I cried a couple times during this film, such a wonderful drama. I think it worked so well because it was very down to earth and the emotional moments felt earned and grounded in reality.
Very tight screenplay compared to the usual melodrama we see
>>
>>79330282
The parts where he punishes himself are when he gets drunk and starts up fights, that's some masochistic self punishment once in a while when he can't distract himself, but as a theme I don't think its that big in MtbtS

Social exclusion and moving away from the town is just logical reaction to something so horrible, as a way to cope with it. He can't live in MtbtS (not even in the film) after the incident. Self-punishment would be living there and be reminded of the incident every day (like when he is at the lawyer and has the flashbacks) and as far as him being not being in relationships, well, he did burn his kids and almost his wife.. doesn't mean he is punishing himself rather than just being too torn up inside to function as an alive person.
>>
File: IMG_4035.jpg (12KB, 234x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4035.jpg
12KB, 234x215px
>>79330286
>"I think you might like my nephew"
>>
>>79330446
I suppose so. Perhaps I'm just projecting my flaws on to Lee. I can't remember, but during the "reunion" between him and his wife does he ever look at her? From memory he just stares at the ground, but I might be misremembering.
>>
>>79329657
I liked how initially you think he's just a dick, but it turns out it's more of a "protect others from himself" kinda thing. I don't know if he feels he doesn't deserve people, I think it's more of a fear of ruining their lives
>>
>>79330286
"It's okay don't worry". Next thing I know I'm in the restroom, and not to clean it up of course!

But normally you won't even find me in that kind of environment irl.
>>
>>79330286
I'm a miserable fuck so I'd either go about it the same way or get even more pissed at her
>>
File: mpv-shot0243 (1).jpg (203KB, 1912x1028px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0243 (1).jpg
203KB, 1912x1028px
>>79330501
>>79330501
>and his wife
EX-wife*

He looks at her a few times in the funeral and in the meet at the alley.

Projecting one's self to characters not intended as a self insert is pretty narcissistic, especially one such as Lee which is a complete character.
>>
>>79330286
>me drinking alone ever
>girl talking casually to me when alone ever

Can't see that happening to me I'm only functional within groups of people
>>
The scene where Lee arrives to Patrick's practice is great. Just, so good. Lee is a sign of his father being at hospital or dead. A literal fucking grim reaper coming to tell him the bad news.
>>
>>79330511
>I think it's more of a fear of ruining their lives
That's definitely what it is with Patrick, it's why he rejects the idea of being his guardian so fucking hard. His reaction is basically "You really think I can do this? Remember how it turned out last time?"

With other characters like the woman at the bar or the girlfriend's mom, I think he literally just doesn't have anything to say. He's not proud of his life or his career, he doesn't have any ambitions, and he doesn't WANT to form close connections with new people.
>>
>>79330501
Way too close to home anon, way too close.
>>
Can you goys stop shilling this awful movie please?

Thanks.
>>
>>79330511
Way too close to home anon, way too close.
>>
>>79330696
I don't think that's true, as he looked quite happy with Michelle Williams in the flashbacks
>>
>>79330724
Can you stop shilling your awful taste in film? Thanks in advance :)
>>
>>79330724
You're leading a way too happy life to be in this thread anon.
>>
>>79330724

read this post carefully >>79329935
>>
>>79330769
Yeah but that was before he ruined his own life. I'm talking about "present-day Lee"
>>
>have to talk to some post-wall bitch just so your nephew can get his dick wet
>he doesn't even get said dick wet
>you don't get your dick wet
>leave
>>
>>79330696
He takes some responsibility though.

He doesn't just fuck off from the town, he puts Patrick's things into order.
>managing the finances Patrick inherited
>making George his guardian
>taking care of the house being rented
>Becoming a friend to Patrick

as for why he is just quiet when he meets other sex, probably never stopped loving Randi just made himself numb to such feel.
>>
>>79330848
She really seemed to enjoy cock-blocking Patrick and catching them "in the act." Bitch was a freak Lee should've hit that
>>
>>79330501
>I can't remember, but during the "reunion" between him and his wife does he ever look at her?

He does but he's uncomfortable as fuck, they keep interrupting each other she trying to spend time with him and he trying to get the fuck out of there asap. Best scene in the movie, that's literally how it would go down in real life with people like these characters
>>
>>79329967

lol as if that matters when ur his age

only thing that matters is whether or not she lets u suck those gorgeous tits and then nutblast em til they're glazed
>>
File: 330991447771010[1].jpg (98KB, 734x1000px) Image search: [Google]
330991447771010[1].jpg
98KB, 734x1000px
Hey there Patrick
>>
Loved this one. The scene when he meets up with Randi near the end fucking killed me.
>>
>>79330942
fuuuuuuck that character
>>
fuck the scene where the bitch in the bar 'spills' her drink on him hit too close to home too

except I have no excuse
>>
>>79330942

Watching this piece of shit be typecasted as beta males now almost makes up for killing those people.
>>
>>79330898
I always laugh a bit when the scene goes on after Lee has left the scene and camera just stays on directing Michelle Williams when she is saying sorry/excuse me.

Definitely one of those takes went beyond what was intended but director decided to leave it in.
>>
>>79330863
It's clear that he really cares about Patrick, and the parental attitude comes through in several scenes. But he's constantly looking for someone else to take the responsibility off his shoulders, because he feels that pretty much anyone would do a better job than he would. It's not that he doesn't want Patrick around, it's that he's terrified by the idea of another person DEPENDING on him after he made such a horrible mistake with his own children.

At least that's the way I saw it. There's also the fact that the actual town is Lee's personal hell, and he'd rather live anywhere else on Earth other than Manchester. Maybe if Patrick hadn't been so firmly tied to living there, they could've actually worked the guardian thing out, it's tough to say.
>>
>>79330942
It was pretty weird seeing him in this. I can't remember the last time I saw Matthew Broderick in anything recent.
>>
>>79330942
I watched Ferris Bueller the day before. That was a weird experience.

Is Patrick a malformed Jesse Eisenberg by any chance? The similarities are uncanny at times.
>>
unpopular opinion but this was movie wasn't that good and does not deserve an oscar

too much rode on the plot twist with the house burning down

basically the whole movie hingoes on that and that happening ain't normal at all. i thought this wouild be a realistic movie but that shit just doesn't happen in real life, especially not to white people like this. it might happent in third world countries or in the hood to dumb blacks but not with these people.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/md-mom-famous-smacking-rioting-son-homeless-kid-fire-article-1.2753858

solid movie worth seeing but it's not an all-time great, not even close.
>>
>>79331026
>basically the whole movie hingoes on that and that happening ain't normal at all. i thought this wouild be a realistic movie but that shit just doesn't happen in real life, especially not to white people like this
I really hope you're trolling
>>
Wasn't very memorable
>>
>>79331026
>http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/21571-dad-who-lost-3-daughters-in-2011-christmas-house-fire-dies-at-51

Stuff like this does happen though
>>
>>79331026

Literally change the fire with a gas leak or some other bullshit accident to calm your autimus and the movie is just the same

Also white trash people get killed by waaay more stupid shit than this every day
>>
>>79331025
>Is Patrick a malformed Jesse Eisenberg by any chance?
If anything, Jesse Eisenberg is a malformed Patrick. Patrick was qt
>>
>>79331003
He was ready to fuck off with Patrick, then he was actually ready to live in Manchester (in my eyes) since 1. he looks for work there from multiple places 2. he goes back to Boston and takes his personal objects such as framed photos off with him to MbtS - but the incident where he sleeps and the stove starts smoking the house probably freaked the ever living shit out of him and he decides not to take the "risk" of moving with Patrick.

Human contact be it Patrick or gf. would definitely help him on his way to functioning like a human. There's some change in the end obv. as him and Patrick are friends and that's the second relationship Lee has had since the incident (the first one obv. being his brother)
>>
>>79331026
>>79331086
>The inferno, caused by fireplace embers, took the lives of 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah, 9-year-old Lily, and their maternal grandparents Lomer and Pauline Johnson.

It even happened like the film too
>>
I watched like the first 40 minutes of this, the point where they tell u about some logs rolling out of the fire what can I expect from the rest of this film?
>>
>>79331148
>Posting on 4chan while watching a film.
>Pausing a film to post on 4chan.
you already failed at lfie
>>
>>79331088
Nah, if it was a gas leak, it would've just been a freak accident. The reason the house-fire works so well is because it was COMPLETELY Lee's fault, to the point that it makes sense he'd torture himself for the rest of his life over it. But it's also clear that it was just a dumb accident, not intentional, the type of thing other characters could forgive even though he can't forgive himself.

That scene where he explains the whole thing to the police was just stomach-turning, there's no other way to describe it. Just a complete fucking nightmare. The look on his face when he realizes they're not going to arrest him or punish him in any way...
>>
>>79328286

its a modern horror movie about a man who is walking dead
>>
I liked the Dinner scene with Patrick's mum. Seeing her get all anxious then off she goes to the kitchen for a beer.
>>
>>79328530

Ending was realistic. Thanks to the director for not treating the audience like children.
>>
>>79331148
>what can I expect from the rest of this film?

Hopefully the strength to go back to r3ddit and never come back
>>
>>79331148
ADHD
>>
>>79331171
>That scene where he explains the whole thing to the police was just stomach-turning, there's no other way to describe it. Just a complete fucking nightmare. The look on his face when he realizes they're not going to arrest him or punish him in any way...

Absolutely this, and then it comes the suicide attempt with the mumbled "please" as he is reduced.

If this movie doesn't win I'm joining those antifa fucks and burning shit down in Hollywood
>>
>>79328286
Will you be my gf
>>
>>79331227
>If you don't like boring movies, you must have adhd!
>>
>>79328286
Of course it's heart wrenching
his babies burned while he was out buying beer
he wanted to die because of it but was too scared to follow through after the initial attempt
the very sight of the town made him feel sick
he never wanted to be in charge of anyone ever again, but he had to watch over the kid
that meeting with his ex wife where she has a new kid on the way and tries to forgive him
this movie is Heart Wrenching through and through
>>
>>79331268
DESU I just care about the nominations of any award ceremony, one of the way of getting to learn about good movies for me. Don't care anymore about who is winning and who's not. My favorites never wins.
>>
>>79331375
>Heart Wrenching
>>
>>79328286
>or the film was actually that heart wrenching
I hope Ben's proud and not jealous that Casey's the better actor of the two.
>>
>>79330078

It gave me the same pathos feeling like this one... Is an slow movie drama/family, is a dramatic/black comedy, but "german comedy" is not easy to get into. Is a good film, but the rythm is not usual. Also 2:45 hours is fucking long... But yes you should watch it. It gaves you stuff to think about life like this one.
>>
File: reallydude.gif (980KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
reallydude.gif
980KB, 500x375px
>>79331026
>i didnt pick up on the many ques that something was deeply wrong with Lee and thought the house fire was a plot twist

some kind of disaster should have been one of your top guesses, especially after they showed you his whole family and how happy he was.

sounds like you are just a pleb
>>
>>79328286
>>79329758
I want to suck on that moonrise kingdom's girl tits so bad!
>>
>>79329865
it was a glock there is no manual safety
>>
File: Snapshot - 4.jpg (596KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot - 4.jpg
596KB, 1440x1080px
>>79331310
;_;
>>
Shouldn't a retention holster have stopped him from even being able to pull the gun off of the officer at all?

http://gundigest.com/concealed-carry/understanding-holster-retention
>>
>>79331634
yes but for the scene to happen we just have to suspend our disbelief
>>
>>79331487
I've seen it already. I liked it a lot actually!
Speaking of german comedy instantly reminded me of "Good Bye, Lenin!" for some reason, idk!
>>
>>79328286
The movie is heart wrenching because it feels real.
There are no long soliloquies or melodramatic monologues that try desperately to pull the audience's heart strings. Lee's depression feels real because he acts like most people suffering from depression; he looks down a lot, mumbles almost everything he says and gets agitated easily.

Other than the music, the scene where he tries to shoot himself didn't have anything special on it, no cuts, no camera tricks, no zoom ins nothing. It was just a guy who tried to kill himself and failed.

When it comes to his family, the movie didn't try to smother us with how amazing and loving that family was. In fact you actually kind of got the feeling that even though Lee obviously loved them, he resented them a little bit.

That and many other reasons are why it felt so true.
>>
>Lee let's the kid have the house to himself to bang his gf for a while

What a bro-tier dad.
>>
>>79331324
If you don't finish any movie in one sitting you sure AF have!
>>
why did his brother's friend call him an asshole after the funeral?
>>
>loves his wife and kids
>accidentally the kids
>wife blames him for it
>he blames for it
>whole town blames him
>wife leaves him
>wife isn't there to support him when he needs it the most
>wife moves on
>he can't move on
>rejects all other women
>wife gets pregnant with new dude
>only then does she realize what she's done
I don't know what to do with all these feels
>>
>>79331026
>the fire was a plot twist

Yeah, no. Not at all. One of the great aspects of this movie was how it doled out important information as was needed, slowly and deliberately.

It never felt like an exposition dump, it felt like the characters were actually remembering the flashbacks in real time.
>>
>>79331697
>it feels real.

Really? My brother has a rare as fuck heart disease and I burned my 3 kids and I clean nigger shit for a living and my ex wife has a new babby on the way? REAL

Lifetime has 5 movies right there and he crammed it in one. No way was this life believable and it certainly didn't feel real.
>>
>>79331026
>people replying seriously to this post

Yes white yuppies on coke starts fires too, not just niggers.
>>
>>79328286
>a woman is contemplating if art actually has made an emotional connection with her or if it's just her vagina bleeding again
Oof
>>
>>79332253
Learn to read maybe? He's talking about film making and you're talking about story

Fucking idiot, why can't you just leave, you contribute nothing
>>
>>79331007

He's in all of Lonergan's movies

They were best buds, might still be I guess
>>
>>79331268

Sorry guys but it has no chance to win Best Picture. It has a slight chance of winning Best Actor or Screenplay but even in those categories I won't be betting on it.

La La Land will sweep
>>
>>79332253

Real story of some guy in my hometown:

>his wife dies in a car accident
>he sends his two teenage daughters to some young christian summer camp so they can help them cope with the loss
>BOTH daughters die in some hiking accident

All within six months. He won't make it to the end of 2017, I tell you that
>>
>>79332187
It was just banter
>>
>>79331613
JUST
>>
>>79332253
You're right.Multiple tragedies happening to people during their life isn't like real life. Real life only limits bad events to one per person.

Moron.
>>
>>79332425
Oh I read and she's talking about story.

I'm sorry but a "shot" is not going to convey emotion or making anything feel more real if the story alone cannot do it. Music may help, but not camerawork alone nope.
>>
All the Manchester scenery was boring desu. I live in a small new england town on the water so I don't really care about seeing it in a movie when I see in IRL. They could have cut the movie in half if they cut that stuff out.
>>
>>79331199
>for a beer
I thought that too, but it just doesn't make sense. A born again Christian couple with a recovering alcoholic isn't going to keep alcohol in the house.
>>
>>79332584
His circumstances were beyond ridiculous.
>>
>>79332604
I love how Kenneth does establishing shots, so i disagree.
>>
>>79332253
You're saying no one can experience multiple tragedies during their lifetime?

How fucking sheltered are you, kid?
>>
>>79332609
lol she had a stash of course
>>
>>79332609
Yeah I was sure it was going to show her drinking during that scene but it didn't so I don't think she was, her husband wouldn't have joined her. She just left because it was awkward.
>>
>>79332672
A secret stash she keeps in the fridge? Truly devilish.
>>
>>79332695
the Christian husband wouldn't have taken over all communication between her and her son if she was just "being awkward"
she has a stash of alcohol somewhere in the house and went and drank it

>>79332737
don't think she keeps it in the fridge
>>
>>79332527
Well shit, that must be fucked up.
>>
>>79332645
Why were they ridiculous?

He didn't lose his family to a terrorist attack, nor did they blow up while trying to get to the moon. It was a house fire that happened in an instant and by a slight negligence on his part. Something that is fairly common.

And you think his brother dying of a heart disease isn't common either? Holy shit man, are you fucking kidding me? I myself have lost already 3 family members to heart disease.

>my ex wife has a new babby on the way?
Because some people don't try to move on after a tragedy right? No one has ever heard of people trying to start a new life after a tragedy.

Again, fucking moron.
>>
>>79332648
i agree
the shot of the car driving back and forth to and from the kids 2nd gf's house was so subtle yet so effective
>>
>>79332596
Film making is a term that entails all aspects of creating a film
>>
>>79332654
I'm saying the circumstances of his personal tragedies were so fantastical that they ruined the believability. Rare heart condition of brother? Burning three kids? Suicide attempt that backfired because of safety? No charges for grabbing an officer's weapon? No dice.

No, I do not believe the frankly ludicrous circumstances of that man's life and that this massive personal loss he suffered only managed to make him move fucking two hours away in the next town over.

"Oh man It's so painful here I can't stay I gotta leave, but the Pats man I can't move too far away I gotta support my Pats"
>>
just rewatched the scene, she gets up and goes into the kitchen, you hear the fridge open and a long pause, then the husband gets nervous and goes and checkes on her, then hes riding home. its obvious she was drinking something lol. I carry my beer around and leave it outside my den window to hide it from my wife, since she doesn't like it, but I'm a raging alcoholic and I don't care I want it. opening a fridge as a decoy is nothing.
>>
>Matt Damon was initially set to direct and star in the film. Back in 2011, Damon, concerned about Kenneth Lonergan's 'horrible limbo', wanted to do something nice for his friend. So he sat in Lonergan's Manhattan apartment and pitched him an idea for a script about a New England handyman who ends up with custody of his dead brother's teen son - a story Damon thought would be right up Lonergan's dark alley. he idea for Manchester by the Sea actually was hatched by John Krasinski. Krasinski shared his nascent pitch with Damon over dinner in 2011 during the filming of The Adjustment Bureau (in which Damon co-starred with Krasinski's wife, Emily Blunt). They actually grew up a few bus stops from each other in Massachusetts - Damon in Cambridge, Krasinski in Newton. Damon liked Krasinski's idea so much, he considered not only starring in the film but also making it his directorial debut. They wasted no time heading to New York to pitch Lonergan. "He came back with this 150-page draft. It was too long, but it had everything that was in the movie." Damon urged Lonergan to make Manchester by the Sea his next directing job. Even with Damon still attached to star and produce, financing was hard to come by. And then, another blow: Damon had to drop out as the lead because of a slew of other commitments that would have delayed production for years. He recruited childhood friend Casey Affleck to take his place.
>Matt Damon still produce the film
>Damon give the role to his buddy Affleck instead of Krasinski
>John Krasinski is credited as executive producer only
>John Krasisnki isn't nominated as Best Picture but Matt Damon is.
>Casey Affleck get a nomination and almost sure to win

Did Damon cucked Krasisnki?
>>
>>79332367
I cried the whole time, that's what I tried to mean there.
>>
>>79331697
>There are no long soliloquies or melodramatic monologues that try desperately to pull the audience's heart strings

There is literally a point in the movie where they play loud sad classical music for a fucking full 4 minute stretch as something sad happens, it's embarrasing, and you have to be a retard to like this trash.
>>
>>79332843

Yeah, it's impossible to believe that he might choose to live in a different city where he won't be surrounded by the judgment of others and that will allow him to drive to visit his beloved brother on rare occasions.

How old are you? You sound incredibly young.
>>
>>79332843
read
>>79332789

Then leave thread please. You have made a fool of yourself enough already.
>>
>>79332892

Affleck is going to lose.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (209KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
209KB, 1920x1080px
Just finished the movie.

This guy is literally me.
>>
>>79332859
I think the husband went to check on her because he was nervous that she might be. Don't know if she actually was or not.

Didn't the email afterwords say something about it being bad for her recovery if he lived with her?
>>
>>79332922
>I don't know what soliloquies or monologues are

The only retard here is you, anon.
>>
File: 1485121194399.gif (22KB, 482x363px) Image search: [Google]
1485121194399.gif
22KB, 482x363px
>>79330942
>>
>>79332789
Heart disease? That wasn't this. His brother wasn't exactly chugging down too much pizza hut. He had plot cancer, and plot cancer dictated that he had to die and that was that.

But a brother with plot cancer isn't enough to make Casey feel too bad or get a bitter divorce or drive him into depression. No, he had to have all his kids die including a newborn baby and he had to be the cause of it.

Ridiculous. Like I said, not even Lifetime would make this.
>>
>>79332922
>There is literally a point in the movie where they play loud sad classical music for a fucking full 4 minute stretch as something sad happens,

That is neither a Soliloquy nor a Monologue.

Get the fuck out of here son.
>>
>>79332998
It seems to hint really heavily that he took over communication between her and the son because she was "battling shadows" or whatever, Christian terms for shit, and she has to forgive herself first, and crap like that. I mean him being there caused her to relapse, and the new husband forbid him from coming back, seems pretty simple.
>>
>>79333063
You're just nickpicking. It wouldn't be the same movie if he lived some happy successful lifestyle where nothing went wrong but was depressed anyway.
>>
>>79333063

Yeah because everyone wants to watch a movie about your run-of-the-mill boring as life where you are mediocre looking and post angry critiques of movies on the internet 11 hours a day and watch your mother yell at you because she paid for 3 semesters of community college and you simply stopped going, and over the past couple years since high school finished you got sort of fat. Real interesting plot to a film, why can't they all be this realistic? Fuck you.
>>
>>79332609
>A born again Christian couple with a recovering alcoholic isn't going to keep alcohol in the house.

They're drinking Sangría during the food. Fucking sangria, that has alcohol m8, she just went for the wine bottle which she made the Sangria with nigga.
>>
>>79332892
>>Casey Affleck get a nomination and almost sure to win

I'd love that but I think the Goose is taking it this year
>>
terrible forced melodrama film for people who think they're smart because they're depressed
>>
>>79333116

This interpretation doesn't make any sense.

You're suggesting that she was clean and sober until that day but she kept a secret stash around the house in case the day came when she felt the need to relapse? The implication is clearly meant to be that she has given up her former alcoholism in exchange for an authoritarian husband who watches her every move and has likely pressured her with Christianity etc.
>>
>>79332497
It's going to win Actor. The only way it won't is it they want to give La La Land the status of being one of the film's to win the big 5 awards (Actor, Actress, Picture, Screenplay, Director).
>>
>>79333063
>>79332253
abc.net.au/news/2015-12-05/christmas-tree-lights-coroner-matt-golinski-fatal-house-fire/7004180

A few years back in my home town a guys Christmas lights sparked, started a fire, burnt down his whole house and killed his family

On fucking Christmas day

Tragedies happen bro
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (188KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
188KB, 1366x768px
>>79333146
this
she lost control b/c of the son being there
>>
>>79333146

What on earth makes you think that they are serving sangria? Especially that they are serving sangria to a 17 year old? Are you insane?

>>79333166

It's going to be Denzel.
>>
>>79333172
>tfw too smart to be depressed
>>
>>79333189
>lol lol land winning best picture over this or hacksaw ridge

LOL
>>
>>79333189

Denzel won the SAG mate. He is certainly the frontrunner at this point.
>>
File: 1486112138777.jpg (18KB, 600x238px) Image search: [Google]
1486112138777.jpg
18KB, 600x238px
>>79329584
>>79330286
>>79330511
>>79330696
>>79332527
I should not have stared this thread in the first place.
>>
>>79333239

I mean I know that's a bummer but La la Land is absolutely going to win Best Picture. It doesn't deserve it but it's going to win it.
>>
>>79333131
>>79333138
So you are finally willing to admit his circumstances were extraordinary. That's fine.

I just felt that they were so extraordinary they crossed over into unbelievable and that marred the film in my opinion.

>>79333196
I never said they didn't. And a christmas tree burning your house down on christmas day sounds believable.

This movie was christmas tree burning your house down on Easter.
>>
>>79332843
>>79332253
kys retard
>>
>>79333283

>a Christmas tree causing a fire is more believable than a drunk alcoholic making a fire that then burns the house down

are you okay?
>>
>>79333063
>No, he had to have all his kids die including a newborn baby and he had to be the cause of it
Well if the goal is to make him transform from a loving husband and father with tons of friends into a self-loathing suicidal shut-in that should do it
>>
>>79333063
It doesn't matter if he died from a rare cancer or a common car crash, how he died wasn't important if that's all that's keeping you from enjoying this then you have autism and I can't help you.
>>
>>79333239
>hacksaw ridge

Please don't soil this thread mentioning this piece of shit, it's bad enough that you are talking about Le Le Land
>>
>>79333214

Denzel is an actor playing a role, he does great yes, but just a playwright role.

Affleck is literally playing a sad man who wants to die

This is Day-Lewis tier of acting, not playing a character but being the character. Hollywood loves that like with Reddememe and his role as Stephen Hawking.

Manchester by the Sea it's gonna win only that but it's gonna win it fairly.
>>
File: LF0964j.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
LF0964j.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>79333283
>>
>>79333383
>t. redditor
>>
>>79333416

Denzel won SAG
>>
>>79333239

La La Land is gonna win 6 Oscars min, m8.
>>
>>79333007
>>79333088
Nothing about this movie is believable, from the plot to the absolutely horrid acting across the board really. If you felt anything but boredom watching this stinking turd you are actually missing chromosomes
>>
>>79333283
You really think it's impossible for a housefire after a party when you're drunk and coked up?
>>
>>79333357
How he died does matter, because it adds to the believability of a story.

>>79333350
Well maybe, but then that's just doing anything you can to get your character the way you want him. And that's terrible writing.

>>79333337
In this context, yes, it is.
>>
>>79333442
nooooo
>>
>>79333350

>When they don't even found the newborn baby's corpse

Shit man that was hard.
>>
ITT: retards that relate to the "le depressed loner guy" and don't see how poorly written and directed this awful movie was.
>>
>>79333474

Picture, Director, Actress, Song, Music, Editing. And wait for the meme ones as wardrobe and those things.
>>
>>79333447
What's a good movie anon?
>>
>>79333447
>horrid acting across the board really.

Trying too hard bro
>>
>>79333491

We're mostly talking about his character, not about the directing or writting this movie have.

This was going to be Matt Damon's debut as director and I feel it would have been worse in that way than giving the script to le sad director man.
>>
>>79333491
ITP: troll who was late to the party
>>
>>79333503
stahp it was sooo gay
>>
>>79333525
Not him but if you think the acting is good in this film you have shit taste. Casey is the only one worth seeing in this mediocre film.
>>
File: shootyourself.gif (2MB, 352x180px) Image search: [Google]
shootyourself.gif
2MB, 352x180px
>>79333462
No idea why I'm responding, you're obviously a fucking troll, but

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm
>Heart disease is the leading cause of death for people of most ethnicities in the United States
>About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

It's literally the most common fatal disease in the US and you're complaining that it's too unlikely a situation.

Please do what Lee couldn't and actually shoot yourself in the head
>>
>>79333503
At least Harley Quinn will win best make-up.
>>
>>79333607

And Hollywood is full of jews and gays. Do the math.
>>
File: arnybaffled.jpg (71KB, 559x598px) Image search: [Google]
arnybaffled.jpg
71KB, 559x598px
>>79333063
yes the plot dictated something, heavens forbid something happens in a story. is this your first time seeing a movie?
>>
File: 1483635413248.png (226KB, 397x389px) Image search: [Google]
1483635413248.png
226KB, 397x389px
anyone got a pic of him holding the gun to his head in the police station?
>>
>>79333547
>if someone doesn't like something they are trolling

That is how dumb you sound.
>>
>>79328286
bought it on amazon so i can watch any time i want. excellent film
>>
>>79332905
It was a dumb joke anyway. Good thread, haven't had much serious discussion on the movie since last year.
>>
>people saying MbtS is shit
>people praising that Evil Dead remake tier trash by Mel Gibson

Has shitposting gone too far?
>>
>>79333621
Well yeah, he carried the whole thing. I don't see anyone praising the kid or dead dad's friend. But Casey was great
>>
>>79333672
then do this
>>79333665
>>
>>79333672
I too bought this off Amazon.comâ„¢ for the lower price of 19.99! Along with my Primeâ„¢ subscription featuring all the movies I love at one super low cost that only a company as great as Amazonâ„¢ can offer!
>>
>>79333730
>I don't see anyone praising the kid

He got an oscar nomination tho.

Also, he was with Kara Hayward in Moonrise Kingdom too, they both cucked Sam.
>>
>>79333781
I'm convinced!
>>
>>79331148
you stopped just before the best part of the movie. keep watching dawg.
>>
>>79328286
>period
>there are girls on this board right now
>even though OP is most likely trolling there are girls on here this very moment
>reading your posts
>shiposting
>theyre watching kinos in their comfy rooms and hairy legs and unkempt finger nails
>they will never be your girlfriend
wow I wasn't ready for this obscure feel
>>
>>79332187
why did that woman he was selling the boat to say she didnt want to see him again?
>>
>>79333622
And like I said it wasn't just heart disease. It was a rare as fuck condition that only affects like 2000 people in 100 million. And he just happened to have it. And he just happened to burn down his house with three kids. And they just managed to save the wife and not the kids. And they just managed to have a messy divorce. And he just managed to run into her on the street. And she just managed to have a baby with her new family.

Every single piece of plotting in this film was contrived, and served only to make him feel worse besides the boy, who was such a lovable rascal.
>>
>>79333884
>talking about a heart breaking movie about a guy consumed by guilt and sadness
>he gets the feels because not having a self harming gf with daddy issues

top of the wews lad
>>
>>79333912
Because he was an asshole and everyone hated him.
>>
>>79333912

Because she believe that he killed his kids, like many people in the town.
>>
>>79333912
Nobody is going to hire the man who gets so drunk he kills all his children. No you have to move two hours away to find work.
>>
File: Snapshot - 71.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot - 71.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>79333759
>>
People in Manchester who hated Lee did so because they didn't believe his story, or even if they did, they hated him for what happened. The hockey players said something like "I don't believe that bullshit" or something. Like some think he did it on purpose, or at least think he's deranged or something. Also I just ate like 3 pickles and my tummy hurts uguuu~
>>
>>79334067
I don't think anyone thought he literally murdered his kids on purpose.
>>
>>79333884
>>even though OP is most likely trolling
No I'm not. STFU beta.
>>
File: 1486851490186.png (879KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1486851490186.png
879KB, 710x842px
>>79334052

Thanks senpai, it works great as reaction image.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 199x253px
>>79328286
I dunno how many of you have ever been to new England but having the "Nice parenting!!" prick wear one of these was a nice fucking touch. Casey is clearly from Boston and shows it with that wardrobe choice.
>>
>>79334093
I felt like that. Most people don't know the details of what happened. Only that his wife and he had a nasty fight, then the house burned down while he was conveniently away. It's entirely possible that some people in town considered it at least a possibility.
>>
>>79334192

That guy is also the director doing a cameo.
>>
>>79334231
Neat. Didn't know that.
>>
File: 1485119216468.gif (9KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1485119216468.gif
9KB, 633x758px
>Mfw teenaged plebs enter then proceed to ruin a truly comfy thread in which we bros were sharing our woes discussing the film and how we can relate to Lee

Good things never last.
>>
>>79334192
Those jackets are popular everywhere white people are
>>
>>79329657
>when Lee is in the room with that one girls mom and he doesnt say anything, effectively ruining a chance at friendship because of his crippling depression and self hatred
Hit too close to home
>>
>>79334192
the guy wearing it looked a lot like lonergan. was it him?
>>
>>79334278
More like nouveau-riche Asians. I live in Boston currently and only rich assholes with brown or yellow skin wear them.
>>
>>79334231
>>79334307
oops someone answered
>>
>>79334274
>i'm so depressed because im so intelligent
not how it works.
>>
>>79333447
>Nothing about this movie is believable

You're right. House fires are not real. They should label this movie as fiction.
>>
>The scene where the paramedics try to roll the stretcher in the ambulance and fail was not scripted. The actors actually continued to struggle to get the stretcher in, but Kenneth Lonergan decided not to cut it.

this was top kek, I just supposed it was that long because she was about to scream at him or hit him, but no the director just liked to troll them, kek
>>
File: download (2).jpg (9KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9KB, 219x230px
>>79334311
Literally every single Asian on the T.
>>
>>79334491
Scenes don't end until they call it, so the actors must try to keep and go on.
>>
>>79334491
That scene was so awkward.
>>
>>79334491
>dude realism lmao
>>
File: 1479215598735.jpg (12KB, 320x196px) Image search: [Google]
1479215598735.jpg
12KB, 320x196px
>>79333491
>how poorly written and directed this awful movie was
you know nothing about writing or directing if you say such a stupid thing, the writing is easily the best thing about the movie, everything flows, it feels natural and it's coherent with the characters
>>
>>79334591
>DUDE I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY LMAO
>>
>>79334591
>realism is bad
>cinema was literally invented to show realism in motion

ok m8
>>
>>79330942
He was in this film because he was a Patrick in real life.

Killed someone on accident because he was drunk.

Pottery.
>>
>>79334752
This is exactly what I thought of when I was watching the film.
>>
>>79333985
>she believe that he killed his kids, like many people in the town.

I never even got the impression that a lot of people believed that
>>
File: sadfleck.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sadfleck.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>Cassey Affleck frontrunner for an Oscar
>Ben Affleck frontrunner for a Razzy

He's going to be ok right?
>>
>>79334894

Well it's not like he doesn't have one... Just not for acting tho
>>
I've not really seen anyone mention the scene where Michelle Williams breaks down during their conversation when they're on a walk. It absolutely wrecked me, she was so good. I doubt she gets the award but I think she deserves it for that scene.
>>
>>79335433
It was the only moving scene for me.
>>
>>79335433
we don't talk about it because it fucked us all up too

it was more brutal than the police station scene
>>
>>79332187
Because he got piss-drunk in front of everyone. He literally recoils from the smell of alcohol on Lee's breath when they start talking, lol
>>
>>79328286
"I can't beat it. I just can't beat it."

Great film and Casey deserves the oscar even though I haven't seen the others.
>>
>>79328286
>my period
You should have never bothered with this movie, you can't understand it anyway
>>
>>79329584

Of course that's how he would be depressed. He just burned down his entire fucking house with his 3 small children inside who literally burned alive.
If he somehow, someway did not commit suicide or end up in a mental institution, this is exactly how he would act.
Exactly.
So why make the movie? To show us the most obvious story ever for 2 1/2 hours?
If there isn't some kind of dramatic conflict, or revelation, why even make the movie?
It would be like making a movie about somebody cooking a turkey for 2 hours 45 minutes. We know how it will all go, and it does.
>>
File: thisfuckingmovie.jpg (68KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckingmovie.jpg
68KB, 633x758px
>>79335433
>that deer-in-the-headlights look on Casey's face when he goes around the corner and runs right into her pushing a stroller
>>
>>79328286
Saw this a week ago -I don't have words to describe Casey Affleck performance. There were a few scenes where I choked up , but I couldn't control my emotions when he met his ex-wife , such a heart wrenching film.
Lucas Hedges was such a revelation-If Gosling beats Casey for the Oscar, we riot
By the way the final music is from Massenet's Cherubin. The translation of the whole aria (though only the first line or two is sung) is below. This gives me hope that Lee can and will love, despite the hopelessness you feel for him.

"When you have nothing to do, summon me quickly next to you
The paradise that I prefer, It's a cushion at your knees.
You will hardly notice me, I will not speak ...
And I will hold my breath, If my breath can disturb you.
So that in my gloomy heart, Winter makes way for spring.
I ask very little: A smile from time to time.
And if it's too much a look will suffice to transform me.
For without saying anything I love you
As much as a being can love".
>>
>>79333925
>Every single piece of plotting in this film was contrived, and served only to make him feel worse
Congratulations, you figured out the plot, retard. The whole point of the movie is that it seems like the entire world is against him and wants to make him suffer. Bad things happening to him is literally the point of the film since he takes his anger out on himself.
>>
The film was alright but the lack of british accents broke was disappointing. Also, was the boat the embodiment of the uncle after he died?
>>
>>79336329
The plot was predictable. That's why the movie was boring. Of course he is going to be depressed and self-destructive! Honestly, for a film where a dude accidentally burns his 3 kids alive, I expected to be walking out of the theater with that kind of migraine headache I had from choking back tears from watching Up.
I was more beaten into submission than sad.
>>
>>79336394
>the lack of british accents
I expected them too actually but apparently there's a town in Massachusetts literally named "Manchester-by-the-Sea"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester-by-the-Sea,_Massachusetts

>>79336395
>I was more beaten into submission than sad.
Maybe that was the point--to make you feel numb to any feelings much like Lee?
>>
>>79336458
>numb to feelings
>lashing out with anger in bars
ok
>>
>>79336116
Are you autistic

Like genuinely?
>>
>>79329682
70 hours/week?! Do you work in a Soviet gulag or in the land of freedom?
>>
>>79333204
>privilaged
>>
>>79336651
Wow I bet that reply contributed so much as a counter-argument. Thanks!
>>
>>79330871
fucking this, the bitch knew what they were doing and didn't give shit. She might as well given them condoms.
>>
File: file.png (1009KB, 749x1029px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1009KB, 749x1029px
why did he keep fucking dragging?
>>
>>79329430
It's a fine movie but nah. He doesn't deserve an Oscar for that. He will get it, but holy shit that has to be one of the easiest roles ever.
>>
>>79337963
Better question is why isn't everyone else following the speed of the percussion like in every band ever
>>
i don't get it. what was the moral of the story. le miserable boston guy?
>>
>>79336222
I would only be okay with Viggo beating Casey. He was really fucking great in Captain Fantastic
>>
>>79339180
Viggo's always a good actor, but that film was bullshit
>>
>>79336116
>So why make the movie? To show us the most obvious story ever for 2 1/2 hours?
>If there isn't some kind of dramatic conflict, or revelation, why even make the movie?

Holy fuck I didn't realise it was possible to be this much of a pleb
>>
File: 1471214455604.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1471214455604.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
>>79328286
I really liked the movie and I hope it wins
Casey was awesome
>>
>>79332195
fucking whore I was so god damn mad
>"I love you"
>"I'm sorry"
fuck you
Thread posts: 273
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.