[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this show any good? Worth investing in? What sets it apart?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: The_Killing_S4_Poster.jpg (68KB, 250x370px) Image search: [Google]
The_Killing_S4_Poster.jpg
68KB, 250x370px
Is this show any good? Worth investing in? What sets it apart?
>>
Yeah, I liked it.
>>
I don't really care but Mireille Enos is an underrated beauty
>>
>>79274152
I've heard it was pretty good, but haven't seen any of it

There's some pretty interesting behind the scenes drama that killed the show. When it first came out, the creators promised the murder would be solved at the end of the season. It was one of the big selling points of the show, and they advertised this promise heavily in the promotion of the show. Then they went and left the murder unresolved so they could continue it in S2. I forget the exact statistics, but something like 2/3rds of the audience - who until then had zero complaints with the show - didn't come back for S2 and it got canceled shortly thereafter. Netflix picked it up because they knew it was a good show that only failed because of the broken promise of the ad campaign, but it looks like the damage was done permanently.
>>
>>79274382
Oh that's interesting. So when you say the damage was done permanently you meant viewership wise or the quality went downhill when Netflix picked it up?
>>
>>79274437
Idk whether there was ever a quality dip, but the viewership never recovered. The Killing came out during a time when a bunch of cable shows had these big overarching plots, and tons of them were all about constantly unraveling mysteries, e.g. Lost. Now, The Killing is synonymous with writers not keeping their promises.

The guy who made American Horror Story did an interview when AHS S2 began, in which he talked about the huge appeal The Killing had to an audience who desired self-contained stories and closure, which is what he did with AHS, and how The Killing's creators completely botched what could have been a long running series.

The first season of The Killing would average something like 3 million viewers an episode. S2 was lucky to get 800K
>>
>>79274437
Here's a little hint of the feeling people had at the end of S1, that I pulled from Wikipedia:

>The first-season finale was met with negative reviews from some critics. The Los Angeles Times called it "one of the most frustrating finales in TV history,"[37] with Alan Sepinwall of HitFix.com calling the end "insulting."[38] Finally, Maureen Ryan of AOL TV said that the finale "killed off any interest I had in ever watching the show again."[39] "[The show] began last spring looking like the smartest, most stylish pilot in years," complained Heather Havrilevsky in The New York Times Magazine. "Fast-forward to the finale, in which we learn that what we've been watching is actually a 26-hour-long episode of Law & Order, and we're only halfway through it."[40]

If I remember correctly, the fallout from The Killing was so bad that it actually got another show canceled, Rubicon, which was a pretty good show. Viewers just didn't trust AMC to follow through
>>
Yeah, fuck this show. The occasional bright spots, like robocop, are far overshadowed by a million red herrings and the bullshit they pulled. I never watched the next 3 seasons because fuck you for directly lying to my face.

I remember it well, they aired actual interviews where they said things would be wrapped up and then boom, fuck you.

Well fuck you, your show got cancelled and everyone hates it.

And yes, it got Rubicon cancelled as well, which was truly GOAT television. Well worth the watch even though nothing is resolved.
>>
>>79274751
>>79274617
>>79274751
Jesus that's crazy. I don't understand why everybody got so angry that they didn't solve the crime though? Why does everybody need instant gratification like little kids, why couldn't they wait it out? Or were they disappointed that it was going to be the same plot for 2 seasons and they wanted something different?
>>
>>79274152
The main character is unbelievably unlikable. She's an emotional wreck that constantly flies off the handle and overreacts to everything.

Based Kinnaman makes it worth watching though.
>>
The show is pretty shit. The acting is good and the two leads are compelling, but this was the structure for the first 2 seasons:

>lets follow this one super obvious lead for the entire episode..
>IT TURNS OUT TO BE SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY!!!
>BUT WAIT!! A SHOCKING TWIST, NOW WE KNOW WHAT WE MUST INVESTIGATE NEXT EPISODE!

>investigate the twist next episode
>IT TURNS OUT TO BE NOTHING!!
>BUT WAIT, A SHOCKING TWIST TO BE INVESTIGATED NEXT EPISODE!

Literal bullshit. I know the later seasons are slightly different but I don't care.
>>
>>79274955
See >>79274980

Besides being lied to flat out, the mysteries were trash. The only worthwhile thing about the show is the detective's lives kind of spiraling out of control, but 70% of the show is just about the red herrings and producers lying to the audience. They got what they fucking deserved.
>>
>>79274955
I think people wanted a show that was halfway between Law & Order and Breaking Bad wherein the story lasted longer than just 1 hour, but didn't require a whole 6 seasons to complete.

It was a niche that responded to a ton of people.
>>
>>79274152
I liked the original Danish show much more when it was aired here on TV but I guess watching a remake feels always a little bland. Anyway, made a solid impression.
If you watch the original you should also watch Bron/Broen right after. Good times for scandi crime/noir.
>>
The first two seasons are fun, certainly comfy - very little sunlight, lots of rain, lots of good people making bad choices. It doesn't re-invent the wheel, but it's certainly worth watching.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.