[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doctor Who General - /WHO/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 59

Lazarus Experiment Edition

Reminder:
https://twitter.com/brinatello/status/805871890585632768
>>
Lazarus Experiment gets hated for no reason.
It's alright. Has a lot of character development.
>>
File: Frank Offerino.jpg (626KB, 1756x2483px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Offerino.jpg
626KB, 1756x2483px
Reminder that /who/ is canon now.
>>
File: 117.jpg (316KB, 1820x3000px) Image search: [Google]
117.jpg
316KB, 1820x3000px
they were clearly fucking
>>
>>79265804
The page on it is really short:
http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lazarus_Experiment
>>
>>
File: Crashedtardisphotospic049.jpg (240KB, 1262x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Crashedtardisphotospic049.jpg
240KB, 1262x1704px
>>
anyone got that webm when capaldi and jenna were both asked a question and jenna was just staring at him and didn't answer until capaldi nudged her.
>>
>>79265510
I would be happy with that list but maybe chuck in Matt Fitton and Cartmel
>>
File: tumblr_nmx4apIOdH1u8dza1o2_500.jpg (95KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmx4apIOdH1u8dza1o2_500.jpg
95KB, 500x533px
>>79265991
>>
>>79266110
Cool as that would be, they can't get Cartmel until at least the next major license renegotiation.
>>
>>
>>79265912
Well, hate's a bit strong, but I find it pretty generic - just "mad scientist makes dodgy-looking CGI monster, followed by chase scenes". Gatiss does a decent job as the Professor though.
>>
File: middlefinger.webm (507KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
middlefinger.webm
507KB, 640x360px
>>
>>79266175
What? Why?
>>
File: ch.webm (225KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
ch.webm
225KB, 720x404px
>>
>>79266175
>>79266246
Never heard of this - what sort of license is he under?
>>
File: doctor.png (21KB, 173x176px) Image search: [Google]
doctor.png
21KB, 173x176px
Chibnall era logos
>>
>>79265912
what character development?
>>
>>79265804
The giant scorpion villain of this ep used to freak me out as a kid
>>
>>79266242
Holy shit you don't just do that by accident, what made him do that?
>>
>>79266401
He wanted to erase the interviewer
>>
>>79266246
Well, the show is produced by BBC Wales under license from the BBC. During the initial licensing negotiations, RTD made a lot of very peculiar stipulations (one of these was saving Big Finish from the garbage heap). I mean, everyone did, it was a weird time. The Nation Estate's stipulations are responsible for the annual Dalek episodes, after all. Most of the stipulations get renewed along with the license every time, and only a few particular ones have been changed or altered since the show came back in 2005. The last major change was the alteration of how NuWho elements themselves could be licensed, which is why new series elements suddenly started showing up in Big Finish just a couple years.

Anyways, the key stipulation in this regard was made by RTD, a special requisite he placed into the license agreement along with some of the steps he took to preserve Big Finish, he was able to create a black list of creative talent he wanted unconnected to the new series. Among the names were some obvious (Ian Levine), some controversial (Keff and McGann) and one stick of dynamite in the form of Andrew Cartmel. The reason, of course, is long and storied Who Lore, though it's summed up concisely here:

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/The_Long_Game
>>
>>79266219
>tfw you will never be in a threesome with Jenna and Capaldi
>>
File: 1465017654381.png (348KB, 640x642px) Image search: [Google]
1465017654381.png
348KB, 640x642px
>>79266401
The old Malcolm Tucker habits die hard
>>
>>79266324
Martha's family
>>
>>79265804
I have a story about this episode.
Series 3 were shown in 2007 in Russia, and episodes were once a week.
When this episode was supposed to air, for some reason TV-channel decided not to show Doctor Who, but shown Dune of Lynch's instead.

I was mad.
I wanted my weekly doctor who so bad that I sent a letter to STS(channel's name) office.
>>
>>79266595
There was a gap in the UK as well for football or something like that.
>>
>>79265912
Yeah, it isn't too bad. Awfully generic, but far from terrible.
>>
>>79265991
Stop shipping.
>>
>>79266827
i'm not shipping
>>
>>79266382
I can remember seeing some of the promotional stills for the last two episodes of series 3, and billboards which had "Vote Saxon" on them also had Lazarus stamped on them.

I had a worrying feeling that more of the scorpion creatures would come back as Saxon/The Masters army.
>>
It all started with Sherlock BBC, for me. I absolutely loved it; the quick, snappy dialogue, the rushing pace of the plot, the twists and turns of the characters. At the time, I didn’t know anything about Steven Moffat or Mark Gatiss, because I had yet to throw myself into tumblr and become obsessive over the production process as well as the shows themselves. But I watched every episode eagerly, and since there were only three at the time, I was bursting with frustration for the next season. So I decided to find another show to fill the hole in my heart until season two.

So, I started watching Doctor Who – relatively late, compared to most. I started when Tennant was in the middle of his run, and Tennant was my first doctor. Actually, the Moffat episode “Blink” was my very first Doctor Who episode. I was caught by the tiny glimpses we had of Ten – it was as if I was struck by a lightning bolt, and I consumed as many episodes as I could, as fast as I could.

Somewhere in there, I scoured the depths of tumblr looking for more Sherlock and Doctor Who, and was amazed at the community lying in wait for me. I devoured everything I could lay my grubby little hands on. I learned about Russell T. Davies, and his tendency towards what-the-fuckery. I learned about Steven Moffat, and his tendency towards crazy and clever plotlines. I learned about Mark Gatiss and Neil Gaiman and a bunch of other behind-the-scenes staff.
>>
>>79266853
Probably due to my budding interest in film and television production as a career option, I started learning much more about the production process in general, and came to appreciate the production staff more than ever before. I was fond of all of them, and playfully said things like, “MOFFAT!” while shaking my fist, and “WHAT THE FUCK, RUSSELL T.,” when something really fucking weird happened in a Tennant episode. The writers took on their own characteristics in my mind, and I started to identify their individual writing styles and preferred plot points and underlying messages in their episodes.

Since Doctor Who was run by RTD at the time, the overarching plots and character developments were all heavily influenced by him, and Doctor Who had his mark all over it. I loved it. I was, of course, taking some of RTD’s episode resolutions with a grain of salt, as well as throwing my hands up in the air disbelievingly at some of his more… interesting decisions. But I never hated him, because it was always meant well.

Though the science of the thing might not quite have matched up, or the cheese factor was so strong it burnt the inside of my nose with its smell, I forgave it because the reason he did stuff like that was always to get a message across. A good message, one about the beauty of life or the infinity of the universe or the intrinsic uniqueness and importance of every single person alive. And by looking past the weaker plotlines of some of the episodes, I happily accepted the messages of affirmation of life, beauty, and happiness despite all the suffering that the Doctor had endured that RTD sent.
>>
>>79266884
Basically, even though I laughed at some of Russell T.’s cheesy dialogue, even though I found some technical faults in his plots, the overall effect and meaning of his Doctor Who inspired me. Because Russell T. might not be all that when it comes to specific episode plot resolutions, perhaps, but he is one of the best world-builders and character developers and ongoing season plotters I’ve come across. Bad Wolf, anyone? Midnight?

Then I reached Moffat’s episodes again, with this new world-view that allowed me to peek into the episodes from a production standpoint, rather than just accepting what happens on screen at face value.

I was pissed.

With the “Girl in the Fireplace” episode, I’d only been initially angry about the Doctor falling for Madame Pompadour because I shipped Doctor/Rose and couldn’t believe he’d forgotten about her so fast. But with this new knowledge of the man behind the curtain, I was livid. I knew that the writer of the episode was pulling the strings now, and I knew that he’d gotten some stuff pretty wrong. When it came down to it, it wasn’t really what the Doctor would do. Not the Doctor that I’d come to know, at least. I was shocked out of my suspension of disbelief, and extremely bitter about it. Moffat got it wrong, I thought. It felt like a fanfic that had missed the mark and had gone into OOC territory.
>>
what?
>>
>>79266912
Like, the Doctor revealing that he’s always had a thing for the historical figure Madame du Pompadour, who’s known for being a prostitute, for the very reason that she is history’s biggest prostitute? Like, what? The reason he falls in love with this girl in ten minutes his time is because he heard she was a pretty good prostitute. Really. Nothing else about her, no actual character traits or anything, is mentioned by him. Yeah, okay, she was a real, fully rounded person in history, and Doctor Who is about seeing people for more than what they are by society’s standards and labels. But hooking up with Madame du Pompadour and being in love with her and all this other stuff because of the label? Without even really getting to know who she actually is? That shit is weird. And it seems counter to the RTD message. (Also it’s creepy that Moffat literally makes her life revolve around the Doctor from her childhood until her death? Anyone else creeped out by the fact that she has no other choice but to spend her life waiting for him and then never has the life she wants with him? No? Just me?)
>>
>>79266942
(By the way, definitely going to do an episode-by-episode Moffat analysis, in which I will further elucidate my feelings and thoughts on that particular episode. There are many more things to say and many more problems to address that connect with other episodes and Moffat tropes, but I’ve got to stop talking about it here. Moving on.)

So I started to get pissed about Moffat’s writing in a general sense, but was pretty blasé about it for the most part. I figured that every writer has their strengths and weaknesses, like how I loved RTD’s overall plots and developments but he went overboard with cheesy dialogue and whack plot resolutions sometimes. I figured that it wouldn’t disrupt the Doctor Who message in the long run. I figured that Moffat’s fail at character development would just be the bit of contention that I would always hold with Moffat, while also appreciating his other qualities. Kind of like how Moffat was balanced out by Gatiss so well when it came to Sherlock BBC. I figured that they would continue to balance it out in Doctor Who, too.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha. Ha.

Then Moffat took over as showrunner of Doctor Who with Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor. RTD was gone. Tennant was gone. Moffat was in control of everything.

I didn’t fully understand the scope of it at the time, because I was incredibly cut up over Tennant leaving. I mourned for a good two months after I heard the news before I finally got up the courage to watch Tennant’s final episode specials. After that, I couldn’t move on and watch Matt Smith’s new episodes for another couple months. It was bad. I’d gotten way too invested in Tennant’s Doctor, as he was my first and most loved Doctor probably of all time. I’d even started getting a bit resentful of Smith, just from the fact he wasn’t Tennant, and I knew that was a terrible attitude to have. I knew that I had to wait it out until my resentment died down to watch Matt Smith’s Doctor. So, I waited.
>>
File: what.jpg (120KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
120KB, 1600x900px
what??
>>
>>79266978
Finally, I watched the New Who.

It was the Christmas special taking from A Christmas Carol. It was all right. I was a bit annoyed because I knew I was being emotionally manipulated the whole time. But other than that, I passively enjoyed it. I wasn’t emotionally connected to any of the characters, sort of liked the plot, whatever. I accepted that Matt Smith was not offensive to me personally as the Doctor. I could start watching the new series. (I still wasn’t over Tennant, of course. I’ll never be over Tennant)

So I watched the Eleventh Hour and all the rest that had come out while I had been in mourning.

But they were boring.

I stopped watching every week. I’d randomly catch up on episodes sometimes over weekends, when I started feeling guilty and behind. But honestly, Amy was boring, the Doctor was boring, Rory was boring. River Song was boring to me, too, when she showed up again.

They were so boring to me because I couldn’t give a shit about any of the characters. I did not give a single fuck. I could not give a single fuck. I tried, desperately, to give all the fucks that I had given before. Because I was still in love with the idea of Doctor Who, and everything it represented from the RTD era. But no. No fucks could be given.

As I watched more episodes, desperate to cling on to something in them, it became clear to me that this New Who was nothing like the RTD era in terms of message. If there even was one.
>>
File: h-he's fast.jpg (563KB, 1121x1465px) Image search: [Google]
h-he's fast.jpg
563KB, 1121x1465px
what's happening
>>
>>79267010
I started getting pissed off at Amy. I started hating her. Why? Because I couldn’t give a damn about her, even though I really wanted to. She just wasn’t anyone to me. She still isn’t. To me, she’s just a character with bad lines and bad story development instead of an actual human being. All the other companions were people to me, real people with families and history and reasons for things. Not her. I’ll probably only ever see her as Moffat’s plot device. Probably because that’s basically what she is. (And don’t even get me started on River Song. I’ll need a masterpost.)

But yeah, I got pissed at and bored with Doctor Who. Got pretty bitter, stopped watching regularly.

I was still in love with Sherlock BBC, though. I thought it was masterful, didn’t see any problems with it, loved the three episodes of season one as I always had. (There’s a ton of problems in it, of course, that I didn’t see or perhaps even refused to see. Problems I will talk about later, of course.)

Then Scandal in Belgravia came out at the start of the new year.

Oh man, here we go. This was the domino that really just knocked everything the fuck over – Irene Adler.

To be specific, Moffat’s Irene Adler.

Just. No. Sherlock BBC had gotten me into the original canon that Doyle wrote. I’d bought the book, read the stories, loved it. Loved the Irene Adler story, too. Had been looking forward to her episode, because I trusted them to handle it well.

Nope.

Sure, fine, dominatrix. Sure, fine, Sherlock’s female doppleganger. Sure, fine, time skips. All that stuff.
>>
>>79267031
But then the whole episode, Irene had the worst lines – an onslaught of poorly fabricated innuendos. And she had the worst developments. Oh, you know, her entire character was degraded until she was dependent on Sherlock to save her. Oh, you know, the whole scheme wasn’t actually Irene’s, it was Moriarity’s. Oh, you know, there was no actual logical scheme in the first place, not really. It was just a bunch of shit thrown together by Moffat from a bunch of different Holmes stories to look cool but came out like shit. Oh, and Irene didn’t actually win the way she was supposed to, sailing off to America with her husband she loved, no no no, Irene had to be humiliated in the very last scene only to be saved on the whim of Sherlock. Oh, and the reason Sherlock liked her and respected her enough to save her or even consider her an equal was because he was into her, not because she was a badass who really did beat him with the sheer power of her intellect.

Just.

No.

It was too much. It broke the dam. I hated Moffat. I loathed him. I couldn’t stand it. And that feeling has intensified over time; the more of his stuff I watch, the more I loathe. And the more angry stuff I read online about him and his writing to assure myself that I’m not crazy.

All leading to this blog’s creation.

Yes, I want to get my own opinion out there. I want to be able to let go of this vitriolic and self-destructive amount of hate that I hold for Moffat and his writings through talking about it. I want to communicate all the thoughts I have about his worlds and characters, because holding them inside me is just unhealthy.
>>
>>79267010
>So I watched the Eleventh Hour and all the rest that had come out while I had been in mourning.
>But they were boring.

stopped reading there
>>
>>79267064
But more importantly, there are so many people that watch Moffat’s stuff that don’t see the problematic things. They don’t notice the dangerous subtext that’s being communicated to them that continues to subtly promote sexism among other things. They don’t see the negative, poisonous ideas that are hidden in Moffat’s subtext, and that’s the thing I dread most of all: Moffat’s writing leading people into dangerous, unhealthy territory, socially and mentally.

If I can just communicate the Moffat stuff that’s so incredibly fucking wrong, maybe someone that needs to see it will see it.

Maybe I can help people take a deeper look into what Moffat is feeding to them. Maybe I can help people expand their idea of what television is, what it can do, what power it can hold over them if they’re not carefully paying attention.

Because television can be dangerous. It can tell people the wrong things through the context of a narrative, when people’s guards are down. And people can soak up extremely fucked up ideas through subtext that they don’t even realize they’re perpetrating.

In the end, the thing that scares me the most about Moffat is the fact that he doesn’t think his work has any problems. And some people that watch his stuff don’t think it has any, either. And I want to be part of a movement that informs those people that no. Moffat has some fucked up ideas in his head, and those translate onto the screen, and you should not let them poison your mind.

The thing about Doctor Who that has kept me coming back is the message of love and acceptance. And I want to be a part of that message in my interactions in the Doctor Who fandom. I don’t want to stomp people’s faces in for liking characters like Amy or River. I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings who love Moffat’s plots.
>>
>>79267095
Instead of doing any of that, I want to open people’s minds to the particulars in Moffat’s work that is not about love or acceptance at all, but is actually perpetrating extremely negative and backwards social stereotypes and stigma.

I want to open people’s minds to think about what they’re consuming and examine the world that they have become emotionally vulnerable towards.

I want people to be able to recognize good writing from bad, I want people to be inspired instead of bored, I want people to love instead of hate.

If you want those things too, if you’re dissatisfied with Moffat and want to let out some of your feelings, or even if you’re generally confused about why people dislike Moffat and want to read up, this might be the blog for you.

I would love to talk to you about this. I would love to share ideas, I would love to communicate with people like me and people who aren’t at all like me.

I would love it if other people cared, because this is important to me.

So if you’d like to come along with me on this, if you’d like to see a box that’s much bigger on the inside, let’s take a look into the working, living, breathing television series that Moffat has had such a hand in.

Allons-y!
>>
File: help.gif (201KB, 450x278px) Image search: [Google]
help.gif
201KB, 450x278px
>>
File: 1484639572749.jpg (23KB, 478x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484639572749.jpg
23KB, 478x480px
>>79267129
...how long is this?
>>
>>79267168
http://anti-moffat.tumblr.com/post/51962691845/not-so-tragic-back-story

It's over. Thank god.
>>
>>79266942
>the Doctor revealing that he’s always had a thing for the historical figure Madame du Pompadour, who’s known for being a prostitute, for the very reason that she is history’s biggest prostitute?
I don't remember this? Did it actually happen?
>>
File: AllSmiles12.jpg (77KB, 300x366px) Image search: [Google]
AllSmiles12.jpg
77KB, 300x366px
>>79267129
>mfw Moffat's final series is so GOAT that not even his most vehement haters will be able to deny it and they will be shocked into a stunned silence
>>
File: Fires_of_Pompeii_1.jpg (93KB, 1872x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fires_of_Pompeii_1.jpg
93KB, 1872x1080px
>>79267328
>>
i will never understand how some people just make shit up to bash moffat or just make opinions without a reason behind them. The Moffat era has been far from all smiles, but some people just seem to hate just so they can hate something. I can understand some peoples hatred of Moffat but not when its irrational
>>
BRING SALLY UP
>>
>doctor calling rose a monkey
Father's day is GOAT.
>>
Martha looks so good, wish there was more of her.
>>
>>79266280
_T
TQT
_T
>>
>>79266382
Same. I saw a picture of it in the radio times and had a genuinely terrifying nightmare about it.
>>
How much do you wanna bet that out there, there's a Doctor Who/Pirates of Caribbeans crossover fan fic with Jack Sparrow being an ancestor of Sally Sparrow?
>>
>>79266845
>>79268472
They tried to copy it in the Flesh 2-parter of Series 6 as well
>>
>>79266280
What BBC Three show was this?
>>
>>79268515
Doctor Who World Tour
>>
>>79267536
>i will never understand how some people just make shit up to bash moffat or just make opinions without a reason behind them
In the old days, people only did this for each new Doctor. Nowadays, the showrunner being part of the publicity train almost as much as the Doctor, so they get the same shit.

And there are always idiots that make shit up to make their point stronger, instead of realizing they don't have one. I remember someone insisting that Peter Davison sucked because the real Doctor would never have taken Adric onboard the way he did. Until the Targets came out 2-4 years later, there was no way to prove to him that it was his "real Doctor" that took Adric onboard, but still, he must have known. He just wanted another reason to hate Five, so he made one up.
>>
>>79265804
I watched this episode just after the amazing San Junipero Black Mirror episode just to see Gugu Mbatha-Raw again.
>>
>>79266500
>tfw no threesome with Jenna and Doctor Hayley.
>>
Jack Harkness is Face of Boe.
This is my headcanon.
>>
>>79268881
Malcolm Merlyn is the Face of Boe; he just happens to look just like Jack Harkness.
>>
>>79266110
Fitton really isn't a very interesting writer. I'd much rather have someone with zero Doctor Who history than someone who's written a hundred forgettable audios.
>>
File: danny fookin dyer.jpg (179KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
danny fookin dyer.jpg
179KB, 640x960px
Will he be the greatest Doctor of all time?
>>
>>79268649
Moffat says that he's shy and doesn't like being recognised in public. But he seems to make an effort to appear at every publicity event or interview going. He likes being a celebrity and he shouldn't be surprised at backlash when he's such a public figure.
>>
>>79268922
>Afterlife
>forgettable

apart from that i see your point
>>
>>79268975
"This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of reality itself!"
"Shut it Davros, you mug!"
>>
>>79268980
>But he seems to make an effort to appear at every publicity event or interview going

Yeah, this is what showrunners tend to do. They play a huge part in the creation of the series so they are expected to go to conventions and interviews.

Moffat clearly doesn't like being a celebrity. How many pictures do we have of him on set? What about fans' pictures with them? There are hardly any.
>>
>>79268975
DONNY DOIAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
File: blaineslitheen.jpg (95KB, 344x378px) Image search: [Google]
blaineslitheen.jpg
95KB, 344x378px
>>79268975
>tfw Aunt Babe joins him and we have a Blaineposting renaissance
>>
File: slide_459282_6192380_free[1].jpg (120KB, 570x788px) Image search: [Google]
slide_459282_6192380_free[1].jpg
120KB, 570x788px
>>79268975
>>
>>79269106
Moffat's public appearances dwarf RTD's and the classic series' showrunners. Sets are rarely public and he's usually stuck in his office anyway. And he has posed for a shit ton of selfies and looks genuinely happy in them.
>>
LEAKED Series 11 theme reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAyUXHOweU
>>
>>79268980
>he shouldn't be surprised at backlash
Sure, and if he were whining about it, I'd tell him to shut up. But this isn't him whining about it, this is me pointing out that much of it is irrational.

Someone can't admit that he hates Smith for not being Tennant, and hates Amy for loving the wrong Doctor, so he convinces himself that hating Amy is the feminist thing to do.

Yeah, Moffat knew he'd have to deal with people like this, and he's still got the best job in the world despite them—but they're still idiots. That's all I'm saying.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MogTR2RpcSU

This is magical. What was your first reaction of this scene?
>>
Just found this - pretty neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAerEdo6xA
>>
>>79269335
I immediately screamed That's Gareth!
What a great twist it was to have Gareth Roberts revealed as the Face of Boe.
>>
>>79269151
Blon Fel Fodge Pasamere Day Slitheen (I think) was a fantastic villain. I love villains that come across as merely slightly naughty even though what they are doing is actually horrendous.
>>
>>79265804
Doctor who is fucking garbage.
It can tell any story in all of time and space and it always ends up a shitty looking celebration of mediocrity.
It's a predictable, safe formulaic children's show where the Le wacky man saves the day with some 'witty' banter and a 'clever' scheme.
The Doctor never goes anywhere in his development, just going from dark to light or dark to light depending on the incarnation.
It has no love for science or history, it just boils everything down for lowest common denominator. It's a waste of time and effort,
why don't you losers mature and watch some grown up television for a change.
You shouldn't watch doctor who unless it's with your own children but I really don't want you plebs procreating.
>>
>>79269245
Quit trying to push it. It's nice but it'd never work as a Doctor Who theme. I've seen other people tell you this, and this is like the third time you've posted it.
>>
>>79269565
It's people like you who made Gareth leave.
>>
>>79269565
Our new showrunner ladies and gentlemen...
>>
>>79269245
I'm never listening to this, frank offerino
>>
>>79267129
I have no interested in reading the blog of some muppet who hatewatches. In five years time you'll feel pretty damn stupid about hating on the guy just the same as all the asshats who ridiculed RTD back in the day. Get a life,.
>>
>>79266280
Damn they're cute together.
>>
>>79269581
It's actually the 8th time I've posted it
>>
File: shittyb8.png (409KB, 1005x386px) Image search: [Google]
shittyb8.png
409KB, 1005x386px
>>79269565
Stop forcing this meme! /who/ has way better memes than this
>>
File: 5502728_orig.jpg (147KB, 618x519px) Image search: [Google]
5502728_orig.jpg
147KB, 618x519px
Look Who just became unemployed.
>>
>>79268730
>Gugu Mbatha-Raw
She is a good actress, and can be great in the right role, and she's cute too, but… you really think she was good as Tish?
>>
>>79269926
This man is the 13th Doctor. So is Danny Dyer. And that man from Broadchurch. Also Mark Gatiss.
>>
File: Tish.jpg (65KB, 1264x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tish.jpg
65KB, 1264x720px
>>79269992
Not that anon but I've fapped so many times to her since 2007.
>She will never be your secretary
>>
>>79270040
The pedophile childkiller from Broadchurch you mean? That would be hilarious.
>>
>>79269335
Still wonder to this day if the rumour is true that Cap Jack was supposed to return for A Good Man Goes to War, and be made an immortal head by the headless monks. But Barrowman was unable to cos filming other stuff.
>>
>>79270094
no I think he means that dennis terrance guy? idk if thats his name
>>
>>79270094
I was talking about the sexy man - the father of the murdered child. But yes the bald childkiller too. I also think the sexy man's wife should be the new Doctor. Also Mark Gatiss. I think Mark would be a great Doctor. Really surprised more people haven't suggested Mark. Mark's a great actor.

I think Mark should be the next Doctor.
>>
>>79270245
Take it down a notch, Mark.
>>
>>79270245
t. Mark Gatiss
>>
>>79269926
Kris Marshall would be a good 13th Doctor.
>>
>>79270310
Mark Gatiss would be a better one. Wish more people would suggest Mark.
>>
>>79270182
That would be so shit.
The whole mystery would just dissapear.
>>
File: gatiss who.jpg (424KB, 1612x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gatiss who.jpg
424KB, 1612x1024px
>>79270335
>>
>>79270092
>ywn smell Tish's soap-scented dish
>>
>>79270385
That's Gatiss!
>>
>>79270245
>I think Mark should be the next Doctor.
Yes, Mark, we all know you turned down the showrunner job because you wouldn't have gotten away with casting yourself, but Chibs can.
>>
File: Consider_This.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Consider_This.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>79270245
>>79270289
>>79270300
>>79270335
>>79270413
>>79270435
Mark Gatiss is a shit actor

[Source: Taboo]
>>
>>79270092
>Not that anon but I've fapped so many times to her since 2007.
Isn't that what that horrible JJ Abrams series was for? She's in almost every scene, and there's no plot to distract you.
>>
>>79270508
Actually, he's a pretty good actor.

He's a disgustingly horrible writer.
>>
>>79270508
Hello, Gareth.

Mark is a great actor who continues to write for the show, unlike you.
>>
>>79270665
>Gatiss is a bad writer meme
It's time to stop.
>>
>>79270712
Please name precisely three things he's written that are worth a fuck.
>>
File: gugu.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gugu.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>79270521
>that horrible JJ Abrams series
>>
>>79270797
The Unquiet Dead
Night Terrors
The Crimson Horror
Robot of Sherwood
>>
>>79265804
>>79265912
It feels like it was written by someone who doesn't really get Doctor Who. It just feels generic. But what really burns my bacon is the episode's morality. The Doctor basically has two arguments for why the Lazarus is the bad guy
1. "You're turning into a giant scorpion monster that has to kill people every five minutes to survive."
2. "Fuck you for trying to live past 100! It's unnatural! I'm 900 years old btw thanks to biological modifications my people made to themselves, but that's different I guess."
And the first argument seems pretty reasonable but the second one can just fuck off. In fact pretty much any sci fi story in which something is immoral because it's "unnatural" can fuck off. See also: Sleep No More.

And this is by the same author as The Doctor's Daughter, another poorly written episode where the Doctor acts like an annoying, self-righteous prick.
>>
>>79270712
Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it a meme or a joke.

Sleep No More: Bad
Robot of Sherwood: Bad
Crimson Horror: Admittedly has some charm, but very forgettable.
Cold War: Forgettable, banal.
Night Terrors: Only about fifteen minutes was interesting. I liked how the Doctor interacted with the kid and the family.
Lazarus Experiment: I actually really like it.
Idiot's Lantern: I don't hate it but it's one of Tennant's most boring stories and that's Gatiss's fault.
Unquiet Dead: Just OK.

I also listened to Phantasmagoria and that was also just all right. It wasn't anything special.

Maybe he's not very terrible but he's had more flops than successes when it comes to Doctor Who.
>>
>>79270877
>name precisely three things
>names four things
u failed
>>
File: no_way_m8.gif (1MB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
no_way_m8.gif
1MB, 245x250px
>>79270877
>Night Terrors
>>
>>79270913
Gatiss didn't write The Lazarus Experiment, he only acted in it.
>>
>>79270991
To be fair, you can forgive the anon. Gatiss usually ALWAYS writes the stuff he stars in. He was even in Victory of the Daleks.
>>
>>79271060
Wait, he was?
>>
>>79271060
Who did he play in that?
>>
>>79271102
>>79271121
wasn't he the voice of danny boy? the main spitfire pilot
>>
>>79271102
>>79271121
>>79271148
Yeah he was Danny Boy.
You can tell Gatiss wrote it because Danny Boy was the only one who survived the spitfire battle.
>>
>>79270991
Whoops. My bad. All right, guess that's one positive point I can take off my list.
>>79271148
Yes, he was, and he was in A Good Man Goes to War as Danny Boy again.
As for how I feel about Victory.. I haven't seen it in so long. I'm doing a Moffat rewatch right now (next up is Angels Take Manhattan which I don't like watching because it makes me feel honestly bad and emotionally upset) but I skipped Victory because my instinctive memory told me that I never liked it and that nobody seems to enjoy it. So I just won't comment on it beyond that.
>>
>>79270913
>I also listened to Phantasmagoria and that was also just all right. It wasn't anything special.
It's a lot like Nightshade. In retrospect, both of them seem formulaic and generic, but at the time, the formula hadn't been set yet, so you have to give him some credit. And then Invaders from Mars/St. Anthony's Fire comes along to limit how much credit you give him.
>>
>>79271313
>Victory
If you watch the first two thirds and then go away, it's actually a pretty fun episode. It's annoying that they hammer home the fact that it's a Power retread with that "I am your s.....oldier" bit, but you know, Power is one of those stories that just doesn't work as a telesnap recon, so…

Too bad about the last 20 minutes. They definitely had to bring the Daleks back in some way so they didn't have to keep coming up with a new explanation every year for how the Daleks somehow just barely survived last year, and it's not Gatiss' fault that the new design was silly, but it is his fault that he crammed in three last-second crises that all get silly resolutions.
>>
https://youtu.be/vHaqxmcTqRo

This was written by Gatiss, wasn't it?
>>
>>79272058
>that's why I didn't see your... box
how does he know it was a box if he didn't see the outside?

This directly contradicts Fear Her, it's not canon
>>
>>79270913
>Robot of Sherwood: Bad
That was a good episode though aside from the very ending.

>people are still triggered by the spoon scene
it was completely in character
>>
>>79272058
it was written by school kids for a competition
>>
>>79270797
>Please name precisely three things he's written that are worth a fuck.
An Adventure in Space and Time
The Kidnappers
The bonus thingy on The Green Death DVD
>>
>>79272058
>the doctor blows up an angel with his screwdriver
Did the doctor ever actually say his name? I don't remember him doing so yet the athlete says "thanks doctor" at the end

Funny how both of the "episode written by school kids" episodes have some kind of last minute stinger twist, almost like they were given a template for how to write and just filled in the blanks like mad libs
>>
>>79272329
>taking anon seriously

are you autis— Of course you are.
>>
>>79272329
>taking anon seriously

>>
>>79272376
I also wondered how the athlete knew the Doctor's name, but didn't wanna rewind to find out.
>>
>>79272329
>taking anon seriously

>>
>>79272329
>taking anon seriously

>>
>>79272329
>taking anon seriously

>>
>>79272876
>>79272828
>>79272743
>>79272777
>>79272757
What did he meme by this?
>>
I can't wait for Steve Moffat to fuck off.

From the BBC as a whole. His Doctor Who and Sherlock are so cancerous and awful. He's got one writing style/trick and does it ad nauseum. I'm so sick of his le witty dialogue, weak plots and cookie-cutter characters.

Shit like setting up 12's search for Gallifrey in a potentially compelling way and going on to make the """payoff""" completely dull.
>>
>>79273574
I'm sure BBC will throw him another show before he's gone for good.
>>
>>79272876
>taking anon seriously

>>
File: tumblr_static_rtd_moff.gif (981KB, 360x266px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_static_rtd_moff.gif
981KB, 360x266px
>>79273574
>>
>>79273574
In the end, the thing that scares me the most about Moffat is the fact that he doesn’t think his work has any problems. And some people that watch his stuff don’t think it has any, either. And I want to be part of a movement that informs those people that no. Moffat has some fucked up ideas in his head, and those translate onto the screen, and you should not let them poison your mind.

Allons-y!
>>
>>79274128
>literally "people need to stop liking what I don't like"
>>
>>79273953
What's he gonna do after who, back to sitcoms? Films like tintin?
>>
>>79274651
Yes, I want to get my own opinion out there. I want to be able to let go of this vitriolic and self-destructive amount of hate that I hold for Moffat and his writings through talking about it. I want to communicate all the thoughts I have about his worlds and characters, because holding them inside me is just unhealthy.

But more importantly, there are so many people that watch Moffat’s stuff that don’t see the problematic things. They don’t notice the dangerous subtext that’s being communicated to them that continues to subtly promote sexism among other things. They don’t see the negative, poisonous ideas that are hidden in Moffat’s subtext, and that’s the thing I dread most of all: Moffat’s writing leading people into dangerous, unhealthy territory, socially and mentally.

If I can just communicate the Moffat stuff that’s so incredibly fucking wrong, maybe someone that needs to see it will see it.

Maybe I can help people take a deeper look into what Moffat is feeding to them. Maybe I can help people expand their idea of what television is, what it can do, what power it can hold over them if they’re not carefully paying attention.
>>
>>79274000
why did you delete this? I wanted to see that picture
>>
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/09/appeals-court-to-issue-decision-on-trump-travel-ban-later-today.html

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TRUMP ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>79274128
>In the end, the thing that scares me the most about Moffat is the fact that he doesn’t think his work has any problems
If you really want to "educate" people, or start a discussion, maybe you should tell us what this "dangerous" and "poisonous" subtext actually is.

I'll admit that I started skimming around about the third massive post, but… You've told us an awful lot about what prompted you to notice Moffat's subtext (some of which never actually happened in the episodes you mention), and even more about how you reacted to it, and even more about why it's so important for people to see it, but very little about what it actually is.

So, in one sentence, what sexual subtext you see in Moffat's work?

Here's what I see: Relationships fail because men and women do stupid things, and some kind of magic is the only thing that can save them.

If you can't do that, go away and come back when you can.

Also, maybe consider inviting people to a discussion instead of inviting them to be "educated" by you. If you're not even considering the possibility you might be less than 100% right, why do you expect to be able to change anyone else's mind?
>>
>>79274924
>But more importantly, there are so many people that watch Moffat’s stuff that don’t see the problematic things. They don’t notice the dangerous subtext that’s being communicated to them that continues to subtly promote sexism among other things. They don’t see the negative, poisonous ideas that are hidden in Moffat’s subtext, and that’s the thing I dread most of all: Moffat’s writing leading people into dangerous, unhealthy territory, socially and mentally.
Why don't you go blog about it on your tumblr?
>>
>>79275006
>TRUMP ON SUICIDE WATCH
I probably hate Trump as much as you, but what the hell does this have to do with Doctor Who?
>>
>>79275072
there are some trump cultists here
i like getting them mad desu
>>
>>79275006
Fuck off with the real world
>>
>>79275072
>what the hell does this have to do with Doctor Who?
How else do you think Bruce Springsteen becomes President?

Or are you implying that Jim Mortimore cannot predict the future?
>>
File: Libs BTFO.jpg (82KB, 659x685px) Image search: [Google]
Libs BTFO.jpg
82KB, 659x685px
>>79275006
TRUMP SMASH
>>
>>79275029
>>79275045
The thing about Doctor Who that has kept me coming back is the message of love and acceptance. And I want to be a part of that message in my interactions in the Doctor Who fandom. I don’t want to stomp people’s faces in for liking characters like Amy or River. I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings who love Moffat’s plots.

Instead of doing any of that, I want to open people’s minds to the particulars in Moffat’s work that is not about love or acceptance at all, but is actually perpetrating extremely negative and backwards social stereotypes and stigma.

I want to open people’s minds to think about what they’re consuming and examine the world that they have become emotionally vulnerable towards.

I want people to be able to recognize good writing from bad, I want people to be inspired instead of bored, I want people to love instead of hate.
>>
>Would you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?
>>
>>79275100
>i like getting them mad desu
I prefer getting them to get bored and go back to /pol/ so we can talk about more important things, like whether a 50-year-old TV story with no surviving episodes is overrated or underrated, whether the color version of a badly-animated story has been leaked yet, or whether Wendy Padbury is enough to make the DVD of Freewheelers worth buying.
>>
>>79275100
>there are some trump cultists here
What a sad life you must live for this to be something you both believe and think is important
what have you infosorbed lately?
>>
>>79275286
>whether Wendy Padbury is enough to make the DVD of Freewheelers worth buying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvQNCVTj6g

Bad haircut, no sparkly catsuit, playing a teen despite being a 28-year-old mom, still qt.
>>
>>79275213
>source: trump's twitter
>>
>>79275771
>politico
>>
File: 9sfkPNK.jpg (941KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
9sfkPNK.jpg
941KB, 3024x4032px
What's /who/ with you?
>>
>>79276690
Is that Patrick Stewart playing William Hartnell playing the Doctor?
>>
>>79276690
That is not muh Hartnell.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 387x412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 387x412px
>>79275842
>>79275771
>>79275213
>>79275100
>>79275006
>>
Why is Gatiss so hated?
>>
>>79277445
He keeps writing lame, unambitious stories.
>>
>>79277445
He is a shit writer that just won't stop.
>>
>>79278052
Adventure in Space and Time was great though. That was his passion project and almost none of his usual flaws are present. I think he's just bad at sci-fi.
>>
What was the thought process behind bring Rose back in S4? What a disaster.
>>
>>79278627
>I think he's just bad at sci-fi.
Honestly, I think he could do sci-fi if he allowed himself to aim for funny sci-fi (which can obviously work fine in Doctor Who).

He's got a good sense of humor, and his parody plots actually work better than his intended-to-be-spooky plots.

My guess is either (a) he wanted to be Moffat, who got to be "the scary one" despite being a sitcom writer, or (b) he was afraid if he went after Gareth's niche, Gareth would eat him.
>>
>>79278671
>What was the thought process behind bring Rose back in S4?
RTD's version of the story: He'd already given her the perfect sendoff, but now he thought of an even more perfect sendoff, so he had to bring her back so he could send her off again.

Everyone else's version of the story: RTD gives the people what they want. By S4, he thought "the people" were made up entirely of TV presenters. And every interview or chat show he did after S2, he always got the question, "So, is Rose coming back?" So he brought Rose back.

Which one is true? It's Doctor Who, every fan can choose his own canon. But it's the second one.
>>
>>79279134
>he was afraid if he went after Gareth's niche, Gareth would eat him
Speaking of, has anyone heard from Dave Stone since 2007?
>>
>>79279272
No, thankfully
>>
>>79278580
>that just won't stop.
Mainly this. The fact that he keeps coming back season after season despite being one of the most mediocre writers.
>>
>>79279223
I mean he was right. Those episodes had huge ratings and the highest AI. Even I got swept up a bit and enjoyed them back then. But it has made his era age horribly. Doctor Who was so popular back then and when your swept up in all the fanfare you don't really care about the plot, you're just excited to see your favorite characters all in one big story. But now it just looks desperate when you try and rewatch those episodes.
>>
>>79279713
I felt that at the time, but I look back on them more kindly now. They had a lot of heart, and they were fun.
>>
File: Twelve uh.gif (2MB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
Twelve uh.gif
2MB, 268x268px
Capaldi took his own advice...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU1fVGfOeE
>>
>>79279713
>But now it just looks desperate when you try and rewatch those episodes.
Well, at the time, he was probably thinking that by 2017 he'd be on his second huge American TV series, not looking back on S4 as the peak of his career. So, what those episodes would look like 8 years down the line, after he'd moved on to bigger things, wasn't nearly as important as what they looked like right then.

And besides, classic Doctor Who was never a show made to rewatch later. Yes, it was already starting to become that by the end of RTD's era, but I don't think he ever made the adjustment that Moffat did to thinking about "I'd better make sure that season 7b works well binge-watched on Netflix during the next Doctor's era, not just when it's watched week by week as it comes out."
>>
>>79280426
S9 is really good binge watched imo.
I remember being disappointed in the opening episodes and when I rewatched I realized why. It was basically a movie cut in half. When you have to wait a week for each part, especially since the first half was a lot of set up its a bit meh. But I really enjoyed watching back to back in one go.
>>
>>79274924

I actually agree, the guy's a chauvinist and a tit.
>>
>>79280426
I think it's got more to do with the fact he can't write unless he's got massive amounts of pressure on him, so everything's thrown together at the last second.
>>
>>79280857
This
>>
File: d08-7y-079.jpg (50KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
d08-7y-079.jpg
50KB, 640x632px
Which is better McGann, the Main Range stories or the 8DAs?
>>
So I'm finally 18 - it's been a long time coming my m80s

I've been hanging around these threads since the Series 8 script leaks, and ever since then I've done a lot for you guys, making images and reporting from cons/screenings and shit

I've mostly been in the background, popping in on occasion just to see what's going on - and we've had some comfy times together, through every Bok and wiki

This isn't the end of my time here, it's just time for me to come clean

I'm very glad I found you guys, and I just want to say...
>>
>>79280914
I remember reading Voyage almost didn't happen because he didn't think he could write it in time. They were about to cancel the christmas special and then he pooped out the script.
>>
File: hello hello.gif (1MB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
hello hello.gif
1MB, 500x245px
>>79280960
thanks lads
>>
File: chips.jpg (110KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
chips.jpg
110KB, 590x350px
>>
>>79280981
What a shocking regeneration scene.
>>
>>79280981
Looking back, was Deep Breath good?
>>
>>79281153
The second half was ok, the first half was cringe. I fucking hate the Paternoster gang. More fucking feisty-flirty-cheeky-scoldy lesbians, fucking kill me.
>>
>>79281191
I actually liked them to start with, but jesus they really take over the show every time they're on it, don't they.
>>
>>79281210
Strax is timeless tho desu

Capaldi's pieces were fucking golden, especially the banter between him and Clara
>>
>>79281191
Yeah, they really are awful, a shit Silurian design and that Sontaran.
>>
The Sontarans are nothing but a joke now. I'll stick with The Time Warrior
>>
remember that one time the doctor kept threatening to blow up a sontaran base but was so pussy a kid had to do it for him
>>
File: AS_Poster_Sontarans.jpg (188KB, 884x1279px) Image search: [Google]
AS_Poster_Sontarans.jpg
188KB, 884x1279px
>>79281340
I know right? They were these scary ass that was just about being soldiers in conquest while their arch enemies were Lovecraftian space monsters who came closer to conquering Galifrey than even the Daleks.

Now they are a "Ha-ha, soliders are dumb!" joke.
>>
>>79281546
Thats nice art, wheres it from?
>>
>>79280948
>Which is better McGann, the Main Range stories or the 8DAs?
Do you care more about consistent quality, or higher peaks? Because none of the early EDAs are nearly as good as Chimes of Midnight, or nearly as bad as Invaders from Mars.

But really, listen to the preview for Blood of the Daleks. Most people like Lucie Miller, but some hate her, and if you hate her, it's a pretty easy choice. By contrast, everybody loves Charley (at least until the Divergent Arc kicks in).
>>
>>79280962
One thing I used to hate about the RTD finales was the epic set-up always lead to a reverse-the-plot button resolution, but the more I think about it, the more I get why, when he's shitting bricks with two days to deadline, he solved everything with "tech the tech to reverse the polarity of the technical tech". Also I can't really blame him, because fuck knows I did it all the time with deadlines.
>>
>>79274924
Moffat's not total shit, but he nearly is. A lot of his stories, characters and episodes are irredeemably fucked. The only reason his scripts worked so well in the RTD era is because RTD was there to rein in the kitsch and the quips and actually make it human.

If what you're talking about is what I think you're talking about, it's not gone unremarked. A lot the interactions he writes between men and women are fucked up, and the way he writes female characters is retarded. He doesn't write women, he writes sexual fantasies of women, which is why they're just ciphers without personalities or histories or relationships or any kind of a life outside of travelling with the Doctor.

http://www.ofdiceandpen.ca/2012/12/sexism-in-steven-moffats-doctor-who.html

This is long but good. Not preachy, but it sums up a lot of your ideas, I'll bet.
>>
File: downy.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
downy.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
Did Steven Moffat ever have twitter?
>>
>>79285288
Yes, deleted it a few years ago because he couldn't handle the bants.
>>
The thing is, Ace, we're all so mortal and fragile and time is a cruel, cruel warden.
>>
File: Party time.gif (971KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
Party time.gif
971KB, 480x269px
>>79280960
Happy Birthday anon.
>>
>>79284043
>the more I think about it, the more I get why, when he's shitting bricks with two days to deadline
When you're the boss and the producer, and you choose to be the lead writer and the script editor (technically he had a script editor, but she was more like a secretary), then of course there's nobody there to tell you to get the damn thing done. And, even if there were, you're too busy producing episode 7 and rewriting episode 10 from scratch and doing the publicity for the finale to actually write the finale.

Considering all that he took on, it's impressive he did as well as he did. But he didn't have to take it all on. That's not the way any other blockbuster 14-per-year show gets done. That's not the way Classic Doctor Who got done. That's not the way Buffy or the X-Files or his other inspirations got done. And that means that the flaws in his episodes are his fault.

And, worse, it set a precedent that Moffat obviously felt he had to follow, and if Chibs tries to do it, it'll probably screw him up even worse.
>>
>>79284651
>which is why they're just ciphers without personalities or histories or relationships or any kind of a life outside of travelling with the Doctor.
Seriously?

What was Sarah Jane's life outside of traveling with the Doctor, or Ace's, or Donna's? A one-line stereotype, at best. The only pre-Moffat exception is Rose, who did have a life outside the Doctor, but explicitly chose to throw it away in the middle of season 1 because none of it mattered compared to her man.

Meanwhile, Clara goes back to teach at her school after each adventure—where she has a fulfilling job, and normal teacher-student relationships with her kids, and falls in love with a fellow teacher. And she's the one who's a cipher without a life of any kind outside of traveling with the Doctor?
>>
Atwell for 13
>>
File: drhayley.jpg (66KB, 1042x651px) Image search: [Google]
drhayley.jpg
66KB, 1042x651px
>>79286330
You forgot to include a pic of Hayley looking either Doctorish as hell or sexy as hell.

I went for the former, but I think I accidentally got the latter as well. It's hard not to with her…
>>
>>79286246
She didn't fall in love with Danny Pink. She was put in a relationship with Danny Pink because all of Moffat's female characters need to be manouvred into a relationship so it's a happy ending. Sally Sparrow was a proto Amy, someone who ends up with a nerd loser because...the nerd loser really wanted to be with the hot girl? What did Clara and Danny have in common? What did they relate over? Why was Danny such a jealous, controlling, abusive shit? Why did he constantly demand to know what Clara was doing and who she was with? Clara's family are all one-note jokes that have no truth or reality or humanity to them - nag bitch mum and put-upon dad and naughty grandma.How did she come from there? All the interactions with her family are completely hollow, lifeless and contrived. All of Moff's girls are sassy and snarky and kooky and total fucking fap fictions. Real women aren't like that.

Donna had family and friends and relationships. Calling her a stereotype is retarded. Half of her arc was that she was fronting to mask her insecurities. She was loud and rude and obnoxious and also, actually, beneath, quite afraid that she wasn't good enough, and her whole journey with the doctor was learning that actually, she's caring and moral and she's worth something. I know people like Donna and Donna's mum and Wilf.

Rose didn't abandon her family, she lived her live independent of her mother because she was an adult, and in some ways, yeah, she did selfishly and carelessly abandon her relationship with Mickey, which was fairly ordinary and he himself was unambitious and lazy and not too smart but also, that doesn't mean he deserved to be dropped so hard and also, hey totally addressed that in Boom town.
>>
>>79286246
Oh, and I don't give a shit about Sarah Jane and Ace but I'm sure Ace alone will have her defenders.
>>
Who else is about to slam on the visitation?
>>
>>79286544
>Why was Danny such a jealous, controlling, abusive shit? Why did he constantly demand to know what Clara was doing and who she was with?
Woah, what? He was fine with her seeing the Doctor, he just recognised it as an unhealthy relationship and told her to come to him if she ever gets pushed too far, so he can help. Even after he finds out that she's been lying to him for ages and has still been seeing the Doctor, he doesn't get mad or dump her or demand she stops or anything, he just says he wants her to be truthful with him. That's a pretty normal part of relationships, not controlling

I agree with most of your other points though, and Moffat has definitely written some very dodgy relationships, like the men in both blink and the narnia christmas special who stalked women until they finally agreed to date/marry them, and this is portrayed in a romantic light. but I don't really see how danny deserves to be in the same category

I'm only jumping in this discussion now btw, haven't read previous posts
>>
>>79276759
>>79276929
No, that's clearly the Tall Man from Phantasm
>>
>>79286544
>She was put in a relationship with Danny Pink
As opposed to the naturally developed relationship between Mickey and Martha, or Donna and Whatshisname McPoorGuy, or Leela and Andred, or Susan and David? What companion do you think is a better model? (Besides, maybe, Amy and Rory.)

Well, I'll give you on: Jo and Clifford. That was a somewhat believable relationship. But it's one in which Jo meets a man who's a better father replacement than the Doctor, so she gives up her entire life to follow his dream.

>and her whole journey with the doctor was learning that actually, she's caring and moral and she's worth something
Which RTD shows how? By giving her a husband as a reward.

>Rose didn't abandon her family
Boom Town isn't just about leaving Mickey, she said "There's nothing for me here" includes her mom, her friends (none of whom were ever mentioned again), her entire life in London—all of that is nothing compared to the Doctor.

There are certainly things Moffat hasn't done well. For example, I can't believe anyone would accuse Moffat of sexism without bringing up The Widow, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But Moffat has tried and sometimes succeeded and sometimes failed, while his predecessors didn't even try.

Meanwhile, this supposed "stereotypical Moffat woman" who's only interested in marriage and childrearing and will trade away anything else to get them—that's not any of his women, that's Spike from Press Gang, and Rory Williams. And yes, that's him trying too hard and failing, but again, better than not trying.
>>
>>79286661
>Who else is about to slam on the visitation?
Are you the one who asked if you should watch it, and I told you that after refreshing my memory I thought it was pretty comfy but I couldn't be sure?

If so, sorry, and I guess this means I shouldn't rewatch it?
>>
>>79286940
Yeah I am and I just finished part 1, can't make up my mind on it yet, its been over 10 years since i last watched it.
>>
Whatever Happened to Gareth Roberts
>>
>>79287145
You don't ask that question...
>>
>>79284651
>The only reason his scripts worked so well in the RTD era is because RTD was there to rein in the kitsch and the quips and actually make it human.

RTD never touched Moffat's scripts, try again kiddo
>>
>>79287738
We've all heard RTD say that but it's a bit difficult to accept when Moffat's RTD-era scripts are, for the most part, superior to everything he's written since.
>>
Any idea when the next trailer is gonna be out?
>>
>>79288003
tomorrow
>>
>>79287738
He clearly did though. Compare the dialogue in TDD or Blink to that of any of the episodes in his own era.
>>
File: doctor-who-nine-series-1_2.jpg (175KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
doctor-who-nine-series-1_2.jpg
175KB, 1080x600px
Bump
>>
Who's ready for the Rose's Mom and Adam from The Long Game Adventures?

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/830028610954260480
>>
>>79288782
Wait is Nick Briggs playing Nine?
>>
File: jackie_tyler.jpg (17KB, 250x274px) Image search: [Google]
jackie_tyler.jpg
17KB, 250x274px
>>79288782
>Adam Mitchell getting lost in the Jackie Tyler mountain range
fucking count me in.
>>
>>79288782
brigg's looks like he's thinking "what the fuck are we doing"
>>
>you're so gay!

What did she mean by this?
>>
>>79282832
I thought the Divergent Arc started when Charley didn't burn to death on the R101
>>
File: 1484960534749.png (308KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1484960534749.png
308KB, 540x304px
>>79289410
It does, but the first two runs of stories (Storm Warning through Minuet in Hell, then Invaders from Mars through Neverland) are pretty much standalone.
>>
>>79289410
>I thought the Divergent Arc started when Charley didn't burn to death on the R101
They didn't call it the "Divergent Arc" until the third year, when the story moved into the Divergent Universe yet. Sure, technically you could say that "Storm Warning" set in motion the events that led to it, and given the way the 8/Charley story ends you could even say that even after "Terror Firma" they're still in the arc…but that's not all that useful a way to classify things.
>>
>>79288819
>Wait is Nick Briggs playing Nine?
These aren't full-cast dramas, they're those hybrid things like the Companion Chronicles. Briggs is narrating, and reading all the characters except Adam and Jackie, including Nine, but that's not exactly the same as playing Nine.
>>
>>79288782

I say this as a Big Finish fan, but Big Finish have sunk to a new low with this.
>>
File: The_doctor_is_freakin_out.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
The_doctor_is_freakin_out.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>79265914
>Frank Offerino

We did it mates
>>
In /who/'s opinions, what is the worst episode written by Moffat?

A few of my least faves: Doctor Widow Wardrobe, Beast Below, Let's Kill Hitler, Wedding of River Song, Angels Take Manhattan.

Similarly, worst written by RTD?

Suggestions: Love & Monsters, Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords, New Earth, Tooth & Claw,
>>
File: 1479912811875.jpg (56KB, 733x549px) Image search: [Google]
1479912811875.jpg
56KB, 733x549px
>>79275213
Fuck offerino
>>
>>79289762

The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe by far.
>>
>>79289693
Why does /who/ hate Adam?

>>79289762
I actually like every episode in that second list.
>>
>>79289693
I'd say it's marginally better than when Winston Churchill narrated a 9 audio. Not sure what they can do with Adam, since The Long Game is his first and only companion story. Unless they pretend he had hundreds of adventures with 9 between that and Dalek.
>>
>>79288239
RTD himself said at least twice (including in a later published private correspondence with Ben Cook) that he didn't.
>>
>>79289762
For Moff it'd have to be Hell Bent, just for the way it mangles Rassilon. It probably works fine as a piece of television, and Capaldi's great in it, but I can't look past the immortal godlike figure from the Dark Times being reduced to "old man shouts at Doctor" and letting the Sisterhood onto Gallifrey with no comment. (This is, of course, a deeply autistic reason to dislike something).

For RTD, New Earth, although there's nothing drastically wrong with it, just a few too many body-swap jokes.

Really though, it's amazing how few flops the pair of them have considering how much they wrote (and how quickly, in a lot of cases).
>>
>>79288782
Who will they get for 10 and 11? I'm betting on Wilf + random one-off character for 10 and a couple of Paternosters for 11.
>>
File: samuelanderson1.jpg (30KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
samuelanderson1.jpg
30KB, 460x300px
>tfw Danny Pink, Me and Rigsy return for Twelve's Journey's End
>>
>>79289762
>RTD
Stolen Earth / Journey's End. It's all award-bait fluff with very little compelling plot, yet too much stuff happening at once.

>Moffat
Any of the opening episodes/finales except for day of the moon / impossible astronaut.
>>
File: checkem.jpg (69KB, 618x380px) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
69KB, 618x380px
>>79290283
Wilf audios need to happen asap, while Cribbins is still with us.
>>
>>79288047
source?
>>
>>79265804
Doctor who is fucking garbage.
It can tell any story in all of time and space and it always ends up a shitty looking celebration of mediocrity.
It's a predictable, safe formulaic children's show where the Le wacky man saves the day with some 'witty' banter and a 'clever' scheme.
The Doctor never goes anywhere in his development, just going from dark to light or dark to light depending on the incarnation.
It has no love for science or history, it just boils everything down for lowest common denominator. It's a waste of time and effort,
why don't you losers mature and watch some grown up television for a change.
You shouldn't watch doctor who unless it's with your own children but I really don't want you plebs procreating.
>>
>>79290584
Oh boy here we FUCKing go. You think this is a bad show? You think you're better than us because you don't watch Dr. Who? Well guess what? FUCK YOU. I'd like to see you write better. I'd like to see you take a seat in Moffat's chair and try to spin all these fucking plates. Do you have any idea how hard it is to spin plates? FUCK. "oh it' for children, it's for children" You know what else is for children? Lollipops. Do you think lollipops are bad? Do you think you're better than us because you don't suck on lollipops? Seriously fuck off. I'd like to see you try to make a lollipop. Would you even know where to start? It's NOT easy. I'd like to pull you by your fucking ear and take you on a guided tour of a lollipop factory then you might learn some goddamn PERSPECTIVE. Look, we KNOW the show isn't great. We KNOW it's not reaching it's full potential but we're having fun. Is that so bad? Having some fun? Spinning some plates and licking some lollipops? No, I don't think it is. I really don't think it is. And if you do. If you do think it is bad, then why don't you just be quiet? Nobody is asking you to watch it or spin it or suck it or whatever. Just relax and enjoy what you enjoy and let us enjoy what we hate. Oh and don't come barging back in here when Chris Chibnall takes over begging us to let you back and forgive you. We'll remember. We'll remember you didn't have any FAITH or HOPE and that you were mean to us and didnt let us have our fun, took away our fucking lollipops and we we wont EVER forget THAT.

You're just a kid. That's what you are. You need to grow up.
>>
>>79289762
>RTD
Top three: Midnight > Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways > Turn Left
Bottom three: Voyage of the Damned > The Stolen Earth/Journey's End > New Earth

>Moff
Top three: Heaven Sent > Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead > Blink
Bottom three: The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe > Hell Bent > Let's Kill Hitler
>>
>>79288782
When I saw this on their Facebook I was so hyped, like holy shit they got Christopher Eccleston AND Matt Smith back!

I am bitterly fucking disappointed. This basically means we're nowhere near any actual Eccleston or Smith Big Finish.
>>
>>79266658
Definitely used to be gaps for Eurovision. I hated them but at least we got GOAT midseason trailers.

Oh shit there might be a gap in series 10 since Who's moved back to Spring. There wasn't for series 7b though so maybe not.
>>
>>79290795
>I am bitterly fucking disappointed. This basically means we're nowhere near any actual Eccleston or Smith Big Finish.
They never got real Hartnell or Throughton obviously but audios of black and white eras are very good.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 302x302px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 302x302px
>>79290726
>Voyage, SE/JE, New Earth
>RTD's Worst
>>
File: 1470524704598.png (301KB, 662x610px) Image search: [Google]
1470524704598.png
301KB, 662x610px
>mfw Zagreus rhyme stuck in my head
>>
>>79291352
I started listening to Omega last night for the first time and Zagreus was mentioned. I heard it's a good story? I have it downloded, but is there an arc I have to follow rather than jumping straight into that episode?
>>
>>79291291
Based RTD

New Earth is god tier
>>
>>79290669
This has been posted the last few days, frankly I think it's only being repeated by /Who/ posters in an ironic fashion
>>
tfw Cristobal won't be the next Doctor Who composer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zbG67g3G8
>>
>>79292260
I really hope there's a new composer for series 11. Gold has his moments, like Heaven Sent's climax, but I want something new and maybe more electronic. Cristo would be perfect.
>>
>>79292449
Gold has been mediocre since Season 7. I think he wants out anyway. Maybe Chibbers will bring in the Broadchurch guy.
>>
>>79292805
Never watched Broadchurch but based on this I'd be pretty happy with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrFED9hgsSI

Just wondering if he can do more whimsical stuff like Cristobal. Dirk Gently's soundtrack would be perfect for Who.
>>
File: 1476919381725.jpg (531KB, 1302x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1476919381725.jpg
531KB, 1302x2000px
>>79286390
Doing God's work, son.
>>
File: IMG_20170210_171447.jpg (34KB, 546x124px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170210_171447.jpg
34KB, 546x124px
H-happening?
>>
>>79293022
Read >>79288782 and face crushing disappointment
>>
File: briggs finish.jpg (102KB, 951x192px) Image search: [Google]
briggs finish.jpg
102KB, 951x192px
>>79288782
>>
danny dyer would be a great doctor and a change

hopefully it wont be a woman
>>
>>79293271
>not wanting Doctor Atwell
Reexamine your life choices.
>>
le tennant is bad meme
>>
>>79293090
But that's just Nine and we all knew it was never happening with Eccleston. Now Smith on the other hand...
>>
nine was shit anyway
>>
Based Gaius Baltar should be the next doctor
>>
Well fuck.

Later this year and beyond, we chronicle some times and places for the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors...

Unveiled today are three forthcoming four-story sets: Doctor Who - The Ninth Doctor Chronicles, Doctor Who - The Tenth Doctor Chronicles and Doctor Who - The Eleventh Doctor Chronicles, featuring all new stories with narration from Big Finish Executive Producer and Doctor Who actor Nicholas Briggs.

Ninth Doctor Chronicles co-producer Scott Handcock comments: "It’s been a treat to work with such a incredible team on bringing the Ninth Doctor back to life! David Richardson and Matt Fitton have assembled a fantastic team of writers, opening with a brilliant new story from Cavan Scott, whose acclaimed work on the Ninth Doctor comics made him an obvious choice."

"And as anyone who’s heard the Destiny of the Doctor range will already know, Nicholas Briggs makes for the ideal reader, ably assisted by some strong supporting voices, with Camille Coduri and Bruno Langley reprising their roles as Jackie Tyler and Adam Mitchell. Throw in Helen Goldwyn’s precise direction, and we have four stories that feel as massive as anything seen on screen! With more to come…"
>>
Nicholas Briggs adds, "The fun of doing these releases for me is that it’s a big performance challenge, and a chance to build on what I’ve learnt from doing some of the Doctor Who audiobook readings for AudioGo and BBC Audio. In those, I’ve been lucky enough to do the voices of the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, with, flatteringly, some success and recognition. So while we’re waiting to one day hopefully make full-cast adventures with these Doctors, we thought a good way for us to explore these more recent eras of the programme would be to have me performing them as enhanced readings, with guest voices too."

"So far, we’ve recorded the Ninth Doctor stories, and it’s been a real blast, particularly working with Camille and Bruno. I’ll be polishing up my Tenth and Eleventh Doctor voices for the upcoming releases. I’m not a mimic or an impersonator, although I’ve always had fun capturing the essential spirit of people’s voices, so that’s what I’m doing here. There’s no way you’ll mistake my performances for the actual Doctors in question, but my hope is that you’ll be in no doubt which Doctor is speaking. I also hope that my genuine affection for these great actors and Doctors shines through."

Doctor Who - The Ninth Doctor Chronicles is released in May, and casting and story details can be found on the webpage. There will be much more information across all three volumes in coming months, including release dates for the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor versions, which will be out in 2018. Each volume can be bought separately for £20 on Download or £23 for a CD version which unlocks download files in your Big Finish account.
>>
>>79293418
>>79293386
>5 years after Matt is gone
>still no Big Finish

What if we have to wait as much time for Capaldi Big Finish guys?
>>
>>79265914
Does that mean we will have the Hand of Boe or the Feet of Boe?
>>
>>79291441
>I heard it's a good story?
It's definitely a creative, ambitious story. It's also four hours long, packed with DEEPEST LORE, recreates a dead actor with old audio clips, and casts Davison/C. Baker/McCoy in non-Doctor roles for most of it. Personally I like it a lot, since it's going big conceptually even if it doesn't entirely nail everything, but YMMV.

> is there an arc I have to follow rather than jumping straight into that episode?
Definitely listen to Neverland first. It might also help to know that Charley was supposed to die on an airship but didn't, and Rassilon once fought a war against vampires.
>>
File: Seasons_of_Fear_cover.jpg (36KB, 318x318px) Image search: [Google]
Seasons_of_Fear_cover.jpg
36KB, 318x318px
Just finished this. It was alrighty. Nothing special. End scene was freaky though.
Whats /who/s thoughts.
>inb4 ear stories
>>
>>79293386
>>79293418

Why can't a companion from those eras do the voice for the Doctor, like the Companion Chronicles?

Why does Nicholas Briggs have to do it?
>>
>>79290020
> Unless they pretend he had hundreds of adventures with 9 between that and Dalek

That is more or less what they're doing apparently:
http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/post/72827/thread
>>
>>79294437

Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I got the impression that it was a direct jump from Utah to Satellite 5.

But RTD would know best and he says it's okay....
>>
Why aren't we hating Peter Capaldi?
He is pro-liberal and dislikes Trump.
>>
>>79294003
I see it as very underrated.
>>
>>79286330
Trying to meme Aiwell into being the 13th is good and all, but can we manage to meme John Smith into being an actual VFX artist at the BBC?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEjx6XUbfQ
>>
>>79294936

Who do you think got Capaldi fired? Sad!
>>
>>79294003
I can't remember it but will download now and listen again
>>
>>79294936
because no one here is a trump supporter except shitposters
>>
BBCW apparenlty sent out a survey this week asking which missing episodes should be animated and if people were interested in an animated Doctor Who movie range based off Titan storylines...don't know if this is shitposting from here or valid stuff from GB though
>>
>>79296866
>based off Titan storylines
yikes.
>>
>>79296746
B-but degeneracy
You want zygons to destroy your country? Can zygon be good at all? Ask yourself and answer honestly.
>>
>>79293489
Smithy is still pursuing his big Hollywood break. Capaldman is happy to have played The Doctor before retirement, a role he never dreamed of getting despite being a No.1 fan of the show since childhood. He'll love recording audio stories as he gets older and grayer, bless him.
>>
>>79296866
There's a rumour that the BBC are going to animate the hugely successful Doctor Who novels "Zamper" and "The Highest Science" this year and release them in the cinema in 3D.
>>
>>79296945
Matt may be being dropped from The Crown with the third series

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-crown/news/a820958/claire-foy-matt-smith-leaving-the-crown-before-season-three/
>>
>>79296986
Dr who cinema releases are embarrassing...
>>
>>79266477

Cartmel did get asked to pitch to TORCHWOOD and contributed to a TORCHWOOD anthology called CONSEQUENCES, I think.
>>
>>79297288

ooh, and has contributed some audios to Big Finish, now that I remember it.
>>
>>79294936

I wouldn't hold that against him. He does his day job well, regardless of his political views.

Most people of his age are around the center of the political spectrum anyway. Pro-capitalism of everything else, but prefer essential public services to be publicly owned.
>>
>>79297232
What do you mean?
>>
>>79266175
>>79266477
>he was able to create a black list of creative talent he wanted unconnected to the new series. Among the names were some obvious (Ian Levine), some controversial (Keff and McGann) and one stick of dynamite in the form of Andrew Cartmel.
But Paul McGann has already been in a New Series minisode, so surely that doesn't apply anymore?
>>
File: 1466966692427.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1466966692427.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>79270877
what in the flying fuck was good in any way about Robot of Sherwood?
>>
>>79297926
it was fun
>>
>>79269228

JN-T?!
>>
>>79298031
>>79298031
>>79298031
new thread
>>
>>79297970
Nice buzzword
>>
>>79282059

mid- to late '80's poster prints. one of a series with Omega, Cybermen, etc.
>>
>>79297542
Was the mlp reference at the start of day of the doctor confirmed real in the end?
If yes, then that's how
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.