[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Malick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

File: file.png (1MB, 996x996px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 996x996px
Redpill me on Malick
>>
Grass bows down to him
Ruled Texan oik fields with a firm but fair fist
In contact with the spirit of Heidegger
>>
File: download.png (2KB, 249x203px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2KB, 249x203px
>>79234957
I fucking love Malick threads
>>
>>79234918
He's an unfocused idiot who wastes the time of his actors.
>>
>>79235094
Go climb a tree, Plummer
>>
He directed the best movie of this millennium thus far.
>>
>>79235280
Zoolander 2?
>>
>>79234918
Nazi sympathizer.
>>
>>79234918
Avatar of the Assyrian god Ashur.
>>
>>79234918
A poet, a philosopher, a genius, and a top-tier shitposter
>>
>>79235280
>>79234957
these

>The thing that really, really bothers me about the perception of Terrence Malick is the idea that he made Days of Heaven and then sat with his thumb up his butt for twenty years. That’s not what happened; he never stopped working. Terrence Malick is not a recluse. A recluse is Howard Hughes holed up in a hotel pissing into a milk bottle. If you live in certain neighborhoods of Austin you’ll see Malick shambling about with his binoculars and bird-watching gear. And if you walk up to him and say, “I love your movies,” he’ll say, “Thank you so much, and isn’t it such a wonderful day?” He has his reasons, we don’t know what they are, and I like that. […]

>This is a guy who knows a hell of a lot about a hell of a lot of things: religion, astronomy, birds, philosophy. He doesn’t strike me as someone for whom the sun rises and sets on the next deal; maybe movie-making is not the be-all and end-all for him. It’s entirely possible that when he’s out bird-watching he gets so swept up in it that he doesn’t think about movies at all that day.
>>
>>79235452
That's just like me.
>>
>>79235464
I've seen this before. Who said this, anyway?
>>
>>79234918

He takes away the conventional construction of movies by being free from stories, characters, and images
>>
File: ttw 8.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ttw 8.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>To the Wonder resembles another chapter out of Malick’s life. The male lead (Ben Affleck), named Neil, is an American man who, while in Paris, falls in love with a French woman (Olga Kurylenko) named Marina, the mother of a young daughter (Tatiana Chiline). When the three move to America, Marina has a hard time adjusting. The two grow apart, and in voice-over Marina says something like (I’m paraphrasing, the line is not in my notes), “Where does he go?” All of these details parallel what we know about Malick’s second marriage:

>"One day in 1980 or 1981, Malick’s landlord introduced him to Michèle, a tall, thirtysomething blonde Parisienne who lived in the same building. She had a young daughter, Alexandra. … In a year or two, the trio moved to Austin, Texas. … Michèle did her best to adapt to Austin. … But she was out of her element. … Malick would often just leave, for hours, days, or weeks. She never knew where he went, and it made her crazy."

>Eventually Marina returns to Paris, just as Michèle did. While she’s away, Neil takes up with a woman he knew in his youth (Rachel McAdams). At this point in Malick’s life, he married his high school sweetheart, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace, to whom he’s apparently still married.
>>
>>79235488
Matt Zoller Seitz, who did great Mad Men reviews

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/hollywood-bigfoot-terrence-malick-and-the-20-year-hiatus-that-wasnt/
>>
>>79235505
>Olga on shooting To The Wonder: The next day our director of photography, Chivo (Emmanuel Lubezki), and I are in an expansive field and he’s following me, filming me no matter what I do: I whirl, look around, smile, and laugh. I raise my arms up and the sun is shining through my spread fingers, and I always, always, and always look for the Wonder. Terry smiles and I jump, twirl, run, and jump again. He claps, “More, more, more, like a rabbit!”
>>
>>79234918
He has literal, non-meme autism
>>
>>79235708
It's called faith.
>>
>>79235505
Wow
>>
>>79235733
Same thing.
>>
Not one day goes by without me thinking of how much i hate Malick and his plebeian fans.

Shoot some trees, slap some narration over and have babbies first philosophy themes. Add some "muh nature" and you got a flick that these braindead total plebs will eat up. While accusing everyone else of not "getting it"

I get it. I hate them because i get it and know how simple and "false" his films really are. I hate you because you think you are patrician for watching this shit, while not watching real cinema
>>
white people shit
>>
>>79236787
18+
>>79236833
subhuman
>>
>>79236978
but only people under 18 like Malick. Before they realize what a hack he truly is
>>
>>79235414

Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>79237047
I only met one person who liked a Malick film and it was some Chad who wanted to see a film with his gf and watched The New World because Pocahontas.
>>
>>79236787
You'll love Song to Song then.
>>
>>79234957
FRD pls that was too quick.
>>
>>79235280
Batman v Superman dawn of justice?
>>
>>79234918
A trash meme director.
He is the patron saint of the pretentious pleb.
One day if you see enough better movies you'll understand why.
>>
>>79234918
>>
He's too smart and too ahead of his times for most plebs here and the world.
>>
>>79234918
>overrated pretentious hack
>made 1 really great film (badlands)
>made 1 good film (days of heaven)
>made a few really awful films since he came out of retirement.
>thinks he is the american tarkovsky
>his small army of internet defence warriors pretend to like his newer films (but essentially they are just waifuist's who lust over natalie portman)

4/10 at best
>>
File: snapcity.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
snapcity.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n70spmBHZU
>I was raped
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>79237825
Oh fuck wrong thread
>>
>>79234918
his face is shoped and inverted horizontaly.
>>
memelick
>>
>Lights
>Camera
>Grass
>>
>>79235666
That's beautiful, Satan
>>
>>79237825
JUST LET IT DROP YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
The main theme of Malick's films on spiritual dematerialism is not eschatological, but a phenomenological ontology. Thus he implies that we have to choose between predialectic construction and deconstructivist neodialectic theory, essentially Heideggerian as seen in the concept of Dasein. The subject is interpolated then into a cinematic dematerialism that includes spirituality as a whole. But if the Kierkegaardian worldview holds, we have to choose between the cultural paradigm of expression and atomism. In Malick's own "The Concept of Horizon in Husserl and Heidegger" he says that "dread marks the ‘collapse of the world’”. Inherent in this is how the function of Lebenswelt (translated by Malick as "world of life") operates in all his films, chiefly in Days of Heaven and The Tree of Life. We see a phenomenological approach to the world showing a cinematic logic that presupposes a strucutral constraint in rootedness, another intentionality central to his filmography and philosophy. Because "metaphysical comfort" is not an object of temporality per se, but rather an aspect of automatic condition, as suggested by Cavell. Hermeneutic interpretations are also apparent in his post-hiatus movies; in fact the interchangeable subjectivities are but another representation of Husserl's and Wittgenstein's "form of life". As his academic hero Heidegger succintly noted, "freedom is the ‘abyss’ of Dasein, its groundless or absent ground". This is essentially the thesis operating in Malick's films.
>>
File: To the Wonder.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
>Given that the vast majority of To the Wonder was set (and shot) in the Oklahoma town in which the director was raised, it is intriguing to learn that this southern state was also the primary historical location of the Nanissáanah, the Native American ‘ghost dance’ of the 1890s. Created by a Nevadan Paiute named Wovoka in 1888, each ritual performance of the Nanissáanah lasted for four whole days, during which (according to the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture):
>“the dancer would be transported to the afterworld where departed relatives were seen living the old, happy life of the prereservation era, when bison abounded”

>Wovoka's extended conjuration ritual, summoning the ghosts of the dead and opening liminal pathways to the bison-rich pre-Columbian age, was soon seen by the US government as an act of political resistance, ultimately leading to the infamous Wounded Knee Massacre of December 29th 1890. Following the slaughter, a US soldier proudly noted that his regiment had “Sent 200 Indians to that Heaven which the ghost dancer enjoys. This checked the Indian noise, and Gen. Miles with staff Returned to Illinois.” The act of attempted genocide was approvingly reported by the young L. Frank Baum (later to gain fame for creating the escapist frontier of Oz), who saw the massacre of the ghost-dancers as a step forward in the ongoing drive to “wipe these untamed and untamable creatures from the face of the earth”.

>These historical crimes form the darkest substrata of the poisoned soil in Malick’s film, and the ceaseless acts of dancing (that so irritated Joe Neumaier) seem to be part of the director’s ongoing effort to forge his own path back to the “prereservation era, when bison abounded”, locating an alternative historical track. In his sixth film Malick is again seeking what Thomas Pynchon has called “the fork in the road America never took, the singular point she jumped the wrong way from..."
>>
File: 89814191512.png (225KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
89814191512.png
225KB, 512x512px
>In early 2000, during an interview with Le Monde[18] to announce his new production facility in London[19], Poilâne asserted that he had unwittingly employed Malick as an apprentice baker between the years of 1984 to 1992 under the pseudonym of Antoine de Tournesol. When asked during the initial interview why de Tournesol wanted to work for him, Poilâne recalled his only response to be; "Our minds are like dough, our hearts like flame." De Tournesol was a model employee, according to Poilâne, and in his exit interview, the reason given for leaving the company was "hearing yet again the drums [of war.]" Poilâne proceeded to laugh the experience off, stating he was "fond of Antoine's war movie," though he "didn't care for the pacing."[20]
>>
>>79234918
what's wrong with his face?
>>
File: IMG_1764.png (74KB, 853x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1764.png
74KB, 853x629px
>>
File: christopher-plummer.jpg (462KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
christopher-plummer.jpg
462KB, 2048x1365px
>>79234918
Boring shit.
>>
>>79234918
Malick was my neighbor in Alpine, Utah for 10 years.
He is a pervert, my dad caught him looking in my moms windows.
He also hates dogs.
He was also raised Jewish, and his dad's ex-wife married Michael Dukakis.
His biological Jewish father writes pro-gay propaganda books.
>>
>>79242145
love that
>>
>>79242294
Source for any of this? I thought his dad was Syrian and he was raised Syrian Orthodox in Texas.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 509x755px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 509x755px
This is secretly his best film
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.