[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What movies accurately depict alcoholism? A lot of them make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: alcoholic.jpg (14KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic.jpg
14KB, 600x434px
What movies accurately depict alcoholism? A lot of them make the alcoholic an abusive asshole and rarely show them actually being somewhat functional. They also rarely address the health issues associated with it.
>>
Leaving Las Vegas for the terminal stage, both mentally and physically. Best depiction of withdrawals too.
>>
>>79227931
I mean, Barfly? Bukoswki was a genius and his entire outlook on life was based around drinking. I mean I don't know if you would call him "somewhat functional" but he was a successful writer and poet for years all while hating everything and drinking alone in his room. Leaving Las Vegas? Trees Lounge or w/e that Steve Buschemi movie is? Watch Louis CK's Horace and Pete also, it's amazing
>>
>>79227999
kek has touched my post
>>
>>79227976
I don't remember a scene of him going through withdrawals? I remember him drinking the entire movie, even when he was in his hotel dying.
>>
File: 22815_under-the-volcano-5.jpg (154KB, 750x1105px) Image search: [Google]
22815_under-the-volcano-5.jpg
154KB, 750x1105px
>>
>>79227931
Yeah, it's weird how weirdly alcohol is depicted in movies. Hangovers are always "duude sweet hangover broo", no somewhat functional but annoying elderly who everyone kinda hatepities and who is not saved in the end, etc..
>>
>>79228166
Not him, but as someone who grew up around alcoholics I can say that the stuff when he's shaking is very accurate.
>>
>>79227931
>What movies accurately depict alcoholism? A lot of them make the alcoholic an abusive asshole and rarely show them actually being somewhat functional. They also rarely address the health issues associated with it.

Not movie but Mad Men does alcoholism really well, always portrays the negative effects.
>>
Days of Wine and Roses
>>
>>79228070
you should leave
>>
>>79228166
Scene in the bank where he gets the shakes and can't sign a check, and then later when he's already sick and struggles to get up in the night to choke on vodka and orange juice. Probably a couple more, it's been years since I've seen it
>>
>>79228263
I also touched ur baby sister
>>
check out Nebrasca
>>
>>79228258
that's on TCM now, bout to watch soon
>>
I thought Flight with Denzel did a real good job. Like that scene where he was putting vodka into the OJ, or when they enter his room and he opened the entire fridge. Like an alcoholic suffering from withdrawl doesnt have one drink. He has so much he relapses.
>>
>>79228268
Oh shit, forgot about the check writing scene. Reminds me of when I was an alcoholic and I was at the post office trying to write down the address.
>>
>>79228304
Yea dude. I'm a recovering alcoholic and that seen hit me hard. I've been there. It also shows that he's a pretty high functioning alcoholic. Plus the whole argument where he might not have been able to perform the way he did if he had been sober. I can relate on a much different level as a bartender. It was a fact that i made more money if i drank on the job. As long as i didn't over do it, I was more personable and just made more tips.
>>
>>79228369
>I'm a recovering alcoholic
You're a fucking pussy is what you are. Drinking is the best thing on this gay earth, it makes everything better. Why would you ever quit? Just grow some willpower and take your balls our of your purse, Nancy
>>
>>79228345
Yeah every alcoholic has a similiar story, me included. That's why I rate the movie highly, actual withdrawal is almost never shown on screen elsewhere. Even hardcore drinkers who quit after decades just get a headache and are grumpy, total bullshit.
>>
Don't know if accurate but The Lost Weekend was pretty alright
>>
>>79228394
Not trying to scare you, but most people are able to function as alcoholics. Drink day and night and still wake up for work. All it takes is one night where you had one too many drinks. You wake up in a pool of blood, behind the wheel of a car crash, or in a jail cell. Its not just "Dude i had too much i showed up late for work" type of thing.
>>
>>79228394
Ok...i hate that you made me respond but i guarantee my life is better than yours. I'm better looking then you, have fucked more bitches than you and maybe the last 50 generations of pathetic beta males in your family, have a bigger dick, and my dad could be up your dad. So fuck you faggot. Go shove a vodka bottle up your ass, fall down the stairs, and die from internal bleeding.
>>
How about Warrior? I found Nick Noltes performancance to be excellent, although I havn't met alcoholics more than for short periods of time and in professional situations so I wouldn't really know, but it feels right for what little I've seen.
>>
>>79228455
Hmm my best friend did just die two weeks ago from choking on his own vomit after going out drinking with me, leaving behind 3 kids... hmmm maybe you're right...
>>
>>79228476
damn nigga you need a drink lol
>>
>>79228499
are you gonna bang his wife? or his kids? molest them maybe?
>>
>>79228394
This is fucking retarded

Alcohol is fucking poison dude, after 23 or whatever you really start feeling the hangovers like shit and for what? Smoking weed is much better than that shit

Hope you'll die btw
>>
TV show, but check out Bojack Horseman. First few eps are family guy tier but it gets heavier and accurately depicts alcoholism and self sabotage/doubt
>>
Everything Must Go is decent
>>
>>79228528
No. Several years ago I saved his oldest daughter who is 7 now, I saved her from getting squished by a truck, then two years later he dies. Life is pretty fucked up. His wife didn't like me before that but after saving her child she likes me, but I would never do that of course, she's not my type to say the least. We were business partners too so I lost my business and best friend all because of beer. I have no plans to quit drinking. I drink a 12 pack or so day. I might be an alcoholic.
>>
>>79228571
I'm 36 and I don't have hangovers
>>
>>79228600
man. Sounds like you are such a faggot that the universe is punishing people that associate with you.
>>
File: 1400666008800.jpg (60KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1400666008800.jpg
60KB, 960x960px
>>79228571
>after 23 or whatever you really start feeling the hangovers
This is true. As a 19 year old I could drink all night and just take a shower in the morning and go on normally , now at 27 I'm completely wasted the next day and still feel shitty on the third day.
>>
>>79228689
you think so???
damn rly makes you think
>>
>>79228728
you rly should go choke on a bag full of assholes. nigga.
>>
>>79228762
bro you REALLY need a drink
i'm having one now
>>
>>79228394
Smoke every day and drink on the weekends, that's how I survive.
>>
who /lowkeyalcoholic/ here?

>tfw into work every day with a strong vodka OJ in my travel mug

feels good bros
>>
File: 51JBFB34QJL.jpg (41KB, 342x475px)
51JBFB34QJL.jpg
41KB, 342x475px
>>79227931
There is a made for TV movie called Shattered Spirits with Martin Sheen that's pretty good for a more obscure pick. Very accurate displays alcoholic behavior.
>>
>>79228892
I was doing shit like that for a while in my shitty just above minimum wage job but then I quit because I was starting to get too fucked up. Made it without getting fired though and then went to detox.
>>
My thoughts on drinking and this retarded thread:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1e9AQ1ui6eB
>>
>>79228600
>12 or so a day
my father was at a 24 every 1-2 days, so roughly on par with you. he died of an aortic dissection a few years ago, likely cause by high blood pressure from drinking. having watched this behaviour of his for almost 15 years (after it got bad), i can say he was definitely an alcoholic. you are too. it will kill you, and it is definitely holding you back. fuck ego, fuck preconceived notions, start trying to cut it out of your life and practice mindfulness and meditation.
>>
>>79228711
>>79228711
Because your diet is shit. Eat better and exercise. You're not 19 anymore.
>>
>>79229217
>practice mindfulness and meditation.
But Krishna said in the Gita:
>Life and death, victory and defeat, are the same.
We act as we must act, driven by the gunas.
>>
Trees Lounge?
>>
>>79229246
I do exercise though, could be the diet. I tend to skip luch and dinner when binge drinking.
>>
>>79228600
>>79228728
hey come back and post over on /w/ you're missed.

also didn't get to tell you i'm sorry for your loss i wasn't around when you posted last week.

don't listen to that fuckin guy.
>>
>>79229352
>i just drink straight poison with nothing to help absorb it it my system
>gee i wonder why i feel like shit
>>
File: alcohol_table[1].gif (42KB, 515x548px) Image search: [Google]
alcohol_table[1].gif
42KB, 515x548px
>>79227931
hollywoodian alcoholism is a joke.

They drink the vodka and whiskey like water, and without effect,
while drinking beers they act like how drunk they got.

is it some agenda or the alcohol% are mixed there? If you drink a bottle vodka you would be dead af
>>
>>79229492
This. It's no huge mystery why your stomach hurts if you skip meals and drink like a retard.

I mean, I do it too, but I acknowledge that I'm being a retard
>>
>>79228600
An 'american 12 pack' might not be that much but if you have that every day, or even 5 days a week consistently then you're a fucking alcoholic m8.
>>
>>79229944
>>79229217
>read american 12-pack
>completely forgot that american beer is piss water
>realize dad was a tank
>>
>>79228711
>>79229246
>shit diet
>go hard as fuck when i drink
>tall glass of water before crashing
>no hangover at all
>26

get wrekt faggots
>>
>>79228304
>Flight
that movie's ending pissed me off so much. the dude was a god tier pilot so who gives a fuck if he did it while drunk? everyone on that plane who lived owed their life to him
>>
>>79230061
>>79229352
theres a difference between eating shit and not eating. lets see your tall glass of water work at 36
>>
is this alcohol withdrawal simulation kino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlvCkm2qcHs
>>
>>79229519
It's called a tolerance.
>>
>>79228711

Get your liver checked out, seriously bro. If you're still hammered the next day (besides maybe just for a bit when you wake up), your body is struggling with the alcohol
>>
>>79230247
needs more shaking and stuttering
>>
>>79229519
Like that other guy said you should look up the concept of tolerance, it's real.
>>
>>79228892

Recently got fired because of that, good luck bro keep it on the DL
>>
File: harvey.jpg (51KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
harvey.jpg
51KB, 720x480px
is this the only positive movie about alcoholism?

problem for most is if you're working class it impairs your ability to function

but if you're rich and can just hang out in bars all day making friends, what's wrong with that?
>>
>>79228689
kek
>>
>>79229944
just depends. stuff i drink is usually 5-7%. american lagers are usually 4.5-5% abv. they're nice to drink when it's hot out or in between heavier beers.
>>
>>79228476
Not to mention all the secret raids on al-qaeda
>>
So alcoholism thread? I've gone blackout drunk about 300times. At twenty at times I had trouble walking while sober. But at least it rid me of my inner really really bad "fuck me" voice for now. At thirty still hating my life but drinking less because it is poison
>>
>>79229474
Hey thanks
>>
>>79231294
I don't understand the self-loathing that comes from drinking I guess. I didn't start until I was over 30, and it just makes me so happy. I feel like a million bucks while drunk. Can't cum when drunk tho
>>
>>79231844
self loathing doesnt come from drinking, it comes from elsewhere, but the alcohol becomes a crutch, and the self loathing perpetuates the more it is used as a crutch
>>
>>79231844
I think those people are self loathing anyway
>>
>>79232354
I had a gay experience with a guy once who had to drink afterwards. He was mumbling about his dad and Jesus and stuff, and he hated that we'd just had gay sex. The whole house smelled like buttsex when the pizza man came. He wept in the corner while I ate the pie all by myself...
>>
File: chuckling blob.gif (313KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
chuckling blob.gif
313KB, 300x182px
>>79232918
>The whole house smelled like buttsex when the pizza man came
>>
File: 1438889545784.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1438889545784.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>79227931
There was always guys boozing it up in the second seasons of True Detective
>>
>>79231844
Keep drinking heavily every day for a decade and you'll start to feel it. If you keep going it will eventually happen to you, and not because you don't like drinking.
>>
>>79232918
Wow tripfags really are faggots, who could have known
>>
File: smashed.jpg (234KB, 1024x567px) Image search: [Google]
smashed.jpg
234KB, 1024x567px
>>79227931
This one for that mutual codependent relationship angle. If you're into American indie films, you'll probably like it.
>>
>>79232918
what does buttsex smell like?
>>
>>79233606
Don't pretend like you don't now
>>
>>79233852
let me rephrase that
what does sex smell like
>>
>>79234012
It smells like buttsex but with the butt smell toned somewhat down
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.