[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That was depressing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

That was depressing
>>
>>79214976
>white man

Disgusting
>>
Great film
>>
>>79214976
pic is best scene desu
>>
Honest filmmaking desu
>>
>>79215041
I liked more the flashback scene where we discover why he's a depressed asshole

that part where he grabs the cop's gun and tries to kill himself

I never asked for these feels.
>>
amazing kino would watch again
>>
>standing still and emotionless with a bag of groceries while watching your family burn alive

bravo
>>
It was pretty funny too
>>
>>79215120
second best desu ;)
>>
>>79215193
>get drunk with buds
>realize the family needs some groceries
>walk so you don't hurt anyone
>come back
>house in flames
>tfw
>>
>>79215286

sounds like you really paid attention during that scene

have you even seen the movie?
>>
>>79215286
lol no i just love posting on 4chan.org
>>
>>79215334
the acting was odd and awkward during that part and the following scene, did he even care about his family lol
>>
>>79215193
Would you be happier if he had thrown the groceries in the air while yelling "ARE MY DAUGHTERS IN THERE?! ARE MY DAUGHTERS IN THERE?!" like sean IM ACTING penn?

Sometimes people can't process what's going on when they're witnessing horrific events until they're over.
>>
>>79215374

I mean I wasn't referring to that but you sound like you have a rather narrow view of life.

He did not go out to get groceries. He went out to buy more alcohol. That is what I meant.
>>
File: 1435962857686.png (134KB, 317x392px) Image search: [Google]
1435962857686.png
134KB, 317x392px
I get the ending but anyone else find it kind of disappointing that he just goes back to Boston?

I mean I get that in real life most people can't overcome their grief, especially when living in a town where the mother of your dead children walks around with her new husband and newborn fucking child, but it didn't really feel satisfying for him to not make any meaningful relationships with any other characters in the film. He just shows up, takes care of the nephew, then leaves. There's no real payoff besides watching just how sad he can get.
>>
>>79215479

It is made rather clear that he makes progress with his nephew. And that is especially signified in his final comments regarding getting a bigger apartment. He is progressing somewhat.

And yes, sadly mate, most people don't just go around making meaningful connections, especially when they are that full of grief.
>>
Daily reminder that you need an IQ <90 to enjoy this "film"
>>
>>79215479
From a storytelling and movie standpoint it was disappointing. That's because we're conditioned to enjoy tied up endings. It was however more realistic it seems.
>>
>>79215648

It wasn't disappointing to me. I don't watch many movies that feature Hollywood bullshit storytelling. The problem is with you.
>>
>>79215479
Dude would you really go back to the town where you fucking killed your children? And are famous for it? I certainly wouldn't. I'd probably kill myself if I did that to my children, if anything I have to give props to Lee for trying to live anyhow.
>>
>>79215671
Did I say it was disappointing to me? You fucking retard.
>>
>>79215709

>From a storytelling and movie standpoint it was disappointing. That's because we're conditioned to enjoy tied up endings.
>>
>>79215744
I didn't write that I found it disappointing. What are you showing me here, daddy?
>>
File: 1405841421781.jpg (61KB, 600x596px) Image search: [Google]
1405841421781.jpg
61KB, 600x596px
>>79215571
>tfw you're IQ is > 140 and you enjoyed this film
>>
>>79215813
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Im sorry
>>
Good movie.

The scene in the OP is fantastic, Michelle Williams really killed it.
>>
>>79215426
What? He was very clearly at a convenience store and had diapers in the bag lol
>>
>>79215877
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultracrepidarianism
really made me think
>>
>>79215931

He may have picked up things well there but he says that the reason he went to the store was to buy more beer because they were out. He wouldn't have gone had his drunkenness not being thirsting for more.
>>
>>79215813
>you're IQ is > 140
>you're
>IQ
anon, you might be clinically retarded
>>
>>79216022
Actually I'm a psychiatrist and measure peoples IQs every day, and I'm sorry to say but if you enjoyed this no depth, half baked flick it doesn't take much to "make you think".
>>
>>79216265
Actually I'm Albert Einstein and I didn't really die but invented an anti-aging cream which I apply to my balls every day so in fact it is you who is the half baked flick.
>>
just finished this. appreciated how much it deviated from common screenplay traditions. lee finds no remorse, he doesn't get better, he doesn't find love. it never goes away for him
>>
>>79214976
"I can't be a guardian, I'm an Afflec"

and the oscar goes too....
>>
File: Delete This.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Delete This.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
I don't care what you bitter fucks say.

Loved this movie.
>>
>>79218415
The majority of this board seems to love this movie as well, other than some people who hate the ending.
>>
>>79215420

lmao, I caught some of Mystic River on tv the other day and Penn's overacting in that scene triggered me.
>>
I don't like the main actor's face. He looks dishonest.
>>
File: mpv-shot0344.jpg (232KB, 1912x1028px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0344.jpg
232KB, 1912x1028px
>yfw you realize they only carry 2 bodies out of the house, which means the baby just burned to ashes.

>yfw you realize Lee pulls the trigger in the police station, but the weapon wasn't loaded and he fails a suicide
>yfw you can hear quiet "please" coming out of Lee when polices wrestle the gun away from him

>yfw he packed his shit from his Boston suicide box apartment and was ready to move into Manchester by the Sea and live with Patrick but the stove incident spooks the ever living shit out of him and he doesn't move.
>>
This is the first movie I've ever watched that explores the concept of male grief as more than just some obstacle to stoically overcome on your path to redemption. Most times there is no redemption; there's just living with it.

Men handle powerful emotions differently because we're socialized to. Men don't have natural social support systems like women do; men don't know how to accurately convey feelings of intense sadness because no one ever taught them how to and they never got a chance to practice it because no one gives two flying fucks about your problems if you're a guy.

So you just fucking stumble along and try to make sense of things on your own. But it takes time because you have to figure it out on the fly. And that's the crux of the story: Lee and his nephew are both completely unprepared to handle the deaths in their lives, and neither one really knows how to give, so it's just this awkward journey where they emotionally bump against each other and eventually establish some mutual understanding of the pain they both share.

That's the way it's always been with guys. No one is going to watch this movie because "muh sexual assault allegations" but it's exposition of this concept possibly makes it one of the most important films of the 21st century thus far. If you're a guy or you have one in your life that you love, for fuck's sake, please watch it; I'm not intending to be pithy here, but will at least give you some perspective on why you/they might act the way you/they do during emotionally difficult times.
>>
>>79215193

i hate my dad. he had a heart attack yesterday - survived it -

even if was speechless and motionless while we were going to hospital faggot.
>>
>>79219757
I think he described a trauma that is something you move together with to the future

not something you, magically, get over with and be done.

in one of his interveiews-
>>
>>79219881
Kenneth described, the director/writer.
>>
I liked everything up until the non-ending....
>>
>>79220010

>nu-/tv/, the post
>>
>>79215193
>your family
He was just the stepfather, a cuck.
>>
>fully white except one character

How did it get even nominated ?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.