[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When games have become more artistic than Hollywood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Soma_Game_Art.png (155KB, 280x325px) Image search: [Google]
Soma_Game_Art.png
155KB, 280x325px
Film adaptation fucking when? This game was better sci-fi kino than anything that's come out of the mainstream in years, maybe decades.

Also let's have some general discussion on the increasing cinematic vision of games, and which titles could be made into kino by competant directors.
>>
>>79208830
>wanting to make a movie out of a video game
How many times do you have to learn this lesson?
>>
>>79208891

Mortal Kombat would like a word with you, mate
>>
>>79208830
>more artistic than Hollywood
lel
>>
>>79208966
Can it phone? Because I can't stand to look at it.
>>
>>79208830
This is one of the few titles that really lends itself well to the interactivity of a video game. Switching Simons (and subsequently killing your "previous" body) wouldn't be nearly as effective in a film.
>>
>>79208830
>This game was better sci-fi kino than anything that's come out of the mainstream in years

I agree with this but it's still shit. Amnesia: The Dark Descent had more philosophical and artistic value. Such a letdown, Frictional.
>>
>>79208966
Mortal kombat worked (kinda) because all the movie had to do was look remotely similar to the games. The writers/actors had free reign with everything.

Also please stop with these threads. They're pathetic.
>>
soma itself was a knockoff of a ton of science fiction.

Just like every video game.
>>
>>79209088
nothing is original faggot
>>
>>79208830
This game has a lot of great ideas, but in terms of narrative, this game and most games like it are completely garbage.

They sacrifice narrative cohesion for length every single time. Your mission is to run to the room with the submarine, you get there and the submarine is broken. It did nothing to advance anything. It's just filler. Bioshock did shit like this too. I guess it's since gamers would shit their pants if they felt they weren't getting their money's worth.

Nintendo actually has it right. They don't give a fuck about a good story. Every Zelda game is basically "collect these MacGuffins then fight Ganon." Because it's the gameplay that's the art, not the story. Interaction is what distinguishes games from other art forms, and so that's what they place their focus on. A story ought to have good prose, a movie ought to have good visuals, and a game ought to have good gameplay.

Also it relies on jumpscares, pretty weak desu
>>
The abyss level could have been way spookier. That angler model was ridiculously bad.

Nonetheless its a pretty cool game. No gameplay, idiot protag, but plot just scary enough to keep you up for days
>>
>>79209105
t. video game writer

The problem with soma isn't unoriginality, its how it does absolutely nothing interesting with the concepts it nicked.
>>
>>79209123

I thought it had a lot of great themes. The nature of identity, the coin toss, the unpredictabilty of machine thinking. Traveling into the deepest darkest depths of despair to reclaim hope. Sure there was a lot of filler but thats the nature of a video game. Surely you could adapt the story to film while keeping the themes. I thought the ending tied everything together beautifully. Very thought provoking and sad. Just about as bitter sweet as you can get.
>>
>>79209272
Would be a lot simpler to just take the concepts on display and ignore the video game completely.
>>
>>79209123
>it's the gameplay that's the art, not the story. Interaction is what distinguishes games from other art forms, and so that's what they place their focus on
This anon gets it.

And it's no coincidence that Nintendo IP games happen to generally be regarded as the standard of good games and classics. Which is why, even considering their hardware, they still have such a strong audience to support them.
>>
>>79209439
This. Even MGS fanboys must admit to this. Those goofy moments in boss fights makes the whole thing silly.
>>
>>79209272
I'm not disagreeing, but there's a reason artsy games get criticized for being walking simulators. You generally have to put the player on rails if you want the game to have a good story, and if you're going to limit player interaction that much to tell your story, you may as well just make it a movie.
>>
>>79209773

Thats basically the point of the OP
>>
>>79210131
>Also let's have some general discussion on the increasing cinematic vision of games, and which titles could be made into kino by competant directors.
I'm saying that games becoming more cinematic is not a good thing.
>>
>>79209773
That has more to do with how the video game industry has become the dumping ground for creative types that will never make it in any other medium.

These people don't want to make video games. They want to make movies. But they never will.
>>
File: cia.png (411KB, 1000x418px) Image search: [Google]
cia.png
411KB, 1000x418px
>>79209042
>Amnesia
How? I mean, I liked it more than SOMA (mainly because it was actually scary,) but how was there anything really thought provoking about it. It was basically HP Lovecraft/Bram Stoker: Walking sim edition.
>>
>>79210394

Yeah I dont really see how Amnesia was particularly thought provoking. Great lovecraftian storytelling and all that and very scary but the story wasn't on the same level as SOMA at all
>>
>>79210599
If you thought soma was thought provoking you desperately need to read a fucking book.
>>
>>79210819

>muh bookz
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.