[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Arrival Perfect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: 058_290_comp_v079_1123_eng.jpg (54KB, 660x281px) Image search: [Google]
058_290_comp_v079_1123_eng.jpg
54KB, 660x281px
Greatest, or greatest movie ever in ever?
>>
>>79179242
Why have dead kids?
What purpose is there in predicting the future just to become a divorced bitch with a dead kid?
>>
>>79179242
it is pretty much scifi kino. only issue I have with it is that it has a dark "depressing" overtone to the story and cinematography. I feel they didn't elaborate on the plot enough either, but depends if they kept true to the book. idk.
>>
>>79179475

>he never read Niezsche
>>
>>79179475
everyone will die
>>
>>79180123
It's Nietzsche, you chucklefuck. You obviously didn't read him either.
>>
>>79179242

DUDE CANCER LMAO
>>
>>79179242
Was this 3/10 great or the greatest ever? No Adamsfag.
>>
>>79179242
Just finished watching this. Honestly, I felt like the science fiction part of it was very watered down. I wanted more sci-fi, I wanted more aliens doing alien shit, I wanted SOME KIND OF FUCKING EXPLAINATION.

So yeah, this movie can go fuck itself. So much promise that was squandered.
>>
what will happen in 3000
what was the weapon

why did this movie turn into muh cancer child
>>
>>79179242
How does learning a language allow you to see the future?
>>
Best sci-fi movie in fucking years.
>>
File: dfWIQ1u8kMW0WunoOBUOZkdQiGQ.jpg (684KB, 1280x1875px) Image search: [Google]
dfWIQ1u8kMW0WunoOBUOZkdQiGQ.jpg
684KB, 1280x1875px
>>79179242
contact did it first and much better

>>79180290
this. i guess the movie is logically consistent, but when the premise is that fucking retarded to begin with, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>79180290
i could live with that, but the movie literally ends when shit got interesting
>>
>>79180287
They literally told you what the weapon was

how are you this dumb?
>>
>>79180527
how is it a weapon. it doesnt make sense.
>>
>>79180219
>spelling mistake means you lack intelligence
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 1534x1150px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 1534x1150px
>>79179242
IT IS THE GREATEST SPACE MOVIE EVER - INTERSTELLAR, MOON, 2001 - NO COMPETITOR - NO DEBATE.
>>
>>79180584
you can't think of any way to use timetravel or at least the ability to see the future and past as a weapon?
>>
>>79180584
she explained that the "weapon" may not have been a weapon of the conventional word as words can be lost in translation.
their word for weapon can be out word for tool, weapon-tool-hammer-sword etc
The "weapon" was the language, it allowed the breaking down of conventional time streams to anyone who understands it truly (which she explained in the movie) so because she was the first one to understand it, she can see her entire timeline simultaneously, was then teaching the human race, and I guess down the line our entire species will be able to transcend time and evolve.
This is obviously a reason why they needed to give it to us as they will eventually need our help.

Pretty powerful theoretical tbqh.
>>
>>79179242
If this isn't bait i fucking hate plebs like you
>>
>>79180719
not in the context of the movie. she wont be immortal. she will not live in 3000 years when something happens. what good does giving the ability to her do for them or mankind or for them?
>>
>>79180584
Learn to linguistics. Amy Adams' character explained in an opening scene to jeremy renner's character that language is fluid, and what one word means to one culture, means entirely differently to another one. The aliens, could've said 'gift' or 'tool' or 'ability' but to them, it was considered a "weapon". And so that's the word they used. Obviously, maybe it was also done this way deliberately to create tension with the Chinese subplot -- I didn't read the book.
>>
>>79180123
>alot
>>
>>79180896
She was the 'chosen one' of the movie. The special linguist, that was at the top of her field. In the short amount of time with the plot, it was established the Adams' character made more progress than other linguists in other countries. Lastly, her role was to serve as a peacemaker/bridge between the octo-aliens and the human race. She calmed down the Chinese and went on to write an 'Octopod language for Dummies' translation for the rest of the human race. That was like the last scene in the film, dude.

I normally suck at picking up subtle clues in films, but they kinda beat you over the head with stuff here. I read that the Director dumbed down the book for movie audiences -- I believe the book was more ambigious about stuff.
>>
File: Consider Hitler.jpg (146KB, 654x539px) Image search: [Google]
Consider Hitler.jpg
146KB, 654x539px
>>79179242
It was meh.

Seriously the whole 'My spouse and/or kid is dead and shall serve as a plot device constantly bludgeoning the audience for 2 hours'-shtick is so fucking dumb and overplayed. It's the post-90's version of 'Tough guy cop/commando/etc. that quit the business but is being recalled for one last job to save the world/president/daughter'.

Honestly it's so cringe it made an otherwise decent movie really cringe. Movies that can't really stand on the strength of their plots or characters and always have to fall back on things like Arrival's cliche, or shit like forced romance angles should not in any way be called 'Great'.
>>
>>79179242
A movie with the line "the most amazing thing wasn't meeting aliens who can control gravity, it was meeting you" cannot be considered perfect.
>>
>>79181092
again. of what use is this to them or to humanity? the film complete left out all of this. we dont even know if she can transfer her ability to others. even if, what are the implications?

its just a pretentious clusterfuck which avoids any answer the the questions the plot throws at the audience. its horrible writing and i don't give a flying fuck about the book.
>>
>>79181092
>picking up subtle clues in films
did you pic up that, obviously the aliens saw exactly whas was gonna happen, so they knew what they needed to do.
Abbots death process was part of their plan, as was everything. the 12 ships etc.
after she spoke to the general all 12 countries shared the info and only then were they able to begin to really learn the language.

The subtle clue I got from that was that the aliens came to teach us the language, as a means to and end. Their end was to unite the human species. I gather this is why the film has the military and political power and segregation context to it.
>>
>>79180896
>>79181231
>what good does giving the ability to her do for them or mankind or for them?

Short answer: To speed up our evolution. To ensure our survival. And put us in a tit-for-tat relationship.

I forgot to answer this on a macro level. The point is, the aliens initiated first contact, in order to speed up our development--and this is just my inference--to prevent further conflict within the human race, IN ORDER for us to have their backs in 3000 years as a type 3 civilization, like them. Three thousand years is a long time, and that point wasn't supposed to be lost on us. We could've died out before then, or not evolved to their level. Being able to see the future has a coming effect on human psychology. Think back to Amy Adam's character.

So they gave us a helping hand in order for us to become more like them. The octopod civilization is so advanced that they don't concern themselves with the affairs in the here and now. They're concerned about shit going down 3000 years down the line. Maybe they foresee a 'Reaper' invasion at that time and want us allies. That's the open-ended part. Use your imagination.
>>
>>79180219

Ich bin Deutsch und mir ist ein kleiner Tippfehler untergangen. Nicht auszucken liebes Kind.

Wir wissen wie man Nietzsche schreibt.
>>
>>79181231
>we dont even know if she can transfer her ability to others
she was teaching it, she was already a university professor teaching before they came.
She said that only through understanding the language can you get the benefits of the timeline knowledge.
The daughter in the film was a curveball, imagine how that played out in the book, would have been (and was in the movie) a real shocker that she was talking backwards and were were seeing scenes in reverse timeline.
>>
>bored during every flashback

Anyone else tired of Malick-inspired cinematography? It's such a gimmicky way to portray the emotional depth of a relationship. So hammy and contrived that I feel nothing from it. Like a cold shortcut for the audience to understand the intimacy and 'warmth' between two people.
>>
>>79181454
Just imagine how much faster this movie could have been, and how much more story-driven it could have been....if all this retarded 'muh dead babby and failed marriage' shit was never in the plot? I swear to fuck they put this kind of shit into movies just to appeal to female audiences and it fucking ruins movies.
>>
>>79181395
I don't speak Muslim.
>>
>>79181395
Du bist sowas von nicht deutsch.

>>79181392
>>79181442
You're starting to make shit up. We don't know any of this. We don't even know if Adams can transfer her ability. Joe was highly intelligent and sat shotgun the whole time and he does not have the ability.
>>
File: 7nhd3Z5.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
7nhd3Z5.png
123KB, 785x757px
>>79179242
>>
>>79181517
fucking this. why do they feel the need to love/drama to movies like this?
>>
It wasn't perfect because Amy didn't have a softcore scene. Otherwise it was perfect.
>>
>>79181558
>We don't even know if Adams can transfer her ability
she explains to the colonel that only through understanding the language can you benefit from it. She couldn't teach jeremy renner as he was a "full cup" mathematician, he couldn't comprehend languages like she could.
>>
>>79181517
>>79181586
>missing the point
>>
>Amy Adams will never tickle you
>>
>>79181586
It's basically the movie version of filler. It's generic and lazy as shit, and fills in pages in a book or time in a movie that you would otherwise have to spend actually carrying a story along, or god forbid, having an ACTUALLY INTERESTING motivation for your characters to be doing whatever it is they're doing.
>>
it was like someone actually enjoyed interstellar and decided to copy it

i could get over the "language that enables you to see through time" shit if they used good examples of the time vision. the chinese general thing was fucking retarded
>>
>>79181666
There was literally no point to the cancer-babby or failed marriage. It had fuck all to do with anything. And they tried to justify it...with a child's fucking play-doh sculpture and her mentioning that her parents can talk to animals?

WOOW WHAT A PLOT TWIST!!
>>
>>79181658
>she explains to the colonel that only through understanding the language can you benefit from it

that doesnt mean she can teach others to understand. we dont see her actually transferring her knowledge. and even if, what are the implications if anybody can fuck up time? hows that helping anyone?

what im trying to say is. that the movie jumped crucial information on literally everything interesting.
>>
>>79181666
what point? it does not advance the plot in any form.
>>
>>79181769
But hey, at least you got like 40+ minutes of her bawling about her cancer baby.
>>
>>79181558
Joe was under utilized because he was a mathematician and not the right receptacle for the octopod language. He didn't understand the language in the timeline in the movie, despite having worked alongside Adams to decipher the octopod language. It wasn't because he was stupid or wasn't the 'chosen one' per se - he just didn't fully immerse himself in the octopod language like Adams did. She went all in. I thought that was established. There is no reason to believe in the film, that the aliens' language was magical and it was 'transferred' to Louise or anyone else. All the clues and subtext were there for you to understand, that simply learning the language -- truly learning it -- makes you like Louise and the Octopods. Louise explains some linguistic concept, that depending on what language you grew up with, that influences your way of thinking. You can infer that if the octopod language, is nonlinear then they think nonlinearly and become become other dimensional beings or whatever physical mumbo jumbo is the correct term for that. It's not exactly science fiction to perceive time like them, based on our current understanding of physics.

At the time of the film, the octopod symbol was on some sigil at a gala or something, maybe UN meeting, and you can see the air of unity and peace in the characters in the background. With that, and Louse writing the octopod translation, it can be directly inferred that sharing her knowledge, led to world peace/detente. And presumably, it will speed up human development shortly after on an exponential scale.

Alright, that's all I got for you. If you still think it's hocus pocus, then I don't know what else anyone can say to break it down for you. Maybe you need some basic understanding of physics and some other guy to break that down for you.
>>
>>79181699
I never got that out of all the time of the movie they never found out where the decapods actually came from.
Asking them what solar system would be the first once you learn the language.

>>79181769
just like irl, some people would be able to understand it some wont, she explained it wasn't just an intelectual knowledge of the language that gives you the ability, it is teh understanding of it.

>>79181769
>what are the implications if anybody can fuck up time?
you can't. not mocking you but I don't think you understand the concept of simultaneous time, one can't change the future in drastic ways, we just do what was meant to be done.
>>
>>79181854
pretty much sure you took the same understanding from the movie that I doid.
The language was our evoution, the aliens gave it to us to facilitate world peace and further our evolution.
there even looked as if she had enlightened students of the language who were already living with the gift.
>>
>>79181558

>Du bist sowas von nicht deutsch.

Süß.
>>
>>79181395
OK, I speak a little bit of German, and the structure of this whole comment seems wrong, any German bro can confirm?
>>
>>79181125

crince is not a noun. learn to communicate properly
>>
>>79181854
>And presumably, it will speed up human development shortly after on an exponential scale
>presumably

thats my whole point about the movie. the movie skipped all really important stuff and left us hanging with the old "come up with your own story" shit". its horrible writing and nothing else. its a shit movie trying to look clever because it leaves you with coming up with made up explanations to make it work instead of actually delivering a good story.

>>79181859
but she did change the future with her ability. shit would have gone downhill if she didn't master learn the language at this point. and if time is simultaneous, why do they need our help in 3000 years? shouldnt they be able to fix shit right know?
>>
>>79182066
He's not german. No native german speaker would use words like 'auszucken' (right would be 'ausflippen') and 'untergangen'(right would be 'unterlaufen') in this context.
>>
it's like contact but for retards
>>
It was so good that I don't even want to discuss it with /tv/ plebs
>>
How the fuck can you dipshits not understand this?
>>
>>79182157
>and if time is simultaneous, why do they need our help in 3000 years? shouldn't they be able to fix shit right know?
that is the paradox, as if there is little to know free will, and consciously attempting to change the future makes no permanent future to see..
My assumption is why that she had the daughter despite knowing she will die early, because if she did not, she would not have had those experiences,emotions, or have even learnt the language.
It is a tricky subject, but if you have experience with quantum entanglement conundrums, or time paradox theories it does not take long to ponder the ramifications of timeline effects and decisions.

You gotta remember, they can see all timelines simultaneously, but they cannot control the future, and changing things now changes the possible futures. Some things are inevitable and out of ones control, just like real life.

My gripes with the film is that they did not elaborate enough on the aliens, where were they from, what help did they need in 300 years.
I came to the assumption that possibly the aliens were time travellers, especially the way the ship turns into mist.
>>
>>79181942
Right. An analogy was how nuclear technology has given us some type of 'peace' at the present day. Europe was pretty much in nonstop conflict up until the 20th century. Crazy smart German scientists and Jews developed rocket technology, and the atom bomb respectively. This knowledge was transferred to other major world powers, and now we haven't had a major war since then. Another example is communication. In most of human history, one tribe/state went to war with another, nominally for one reason for another, but a secondary reason can be because there was a fundamental lack of understanding between one another. That was an overarching theme in the movie. Louse's mom didn't really understand her. Louise's partner didn't understand her for her decision to have the kid, etc etc..

If you can see the future, then just imagine what will that do to human empathy and communication? There will be a revolution in psychology. The learned people will be more relaxed/enlightened.
>>
>>79182157
>>79182157
Right now, we're already on an exponential scale of development. In one year, more books get produced than in all of human history. All this information is being circulated and being used to further human progress. Maybe it's having trouble trickling down to the third world, but that's mostly because of politics.

The point is if you understand time as flowing non-linearly, then it will amount to reaching the closest thing to enlightenment as described by Buddhists or whatever. If most, if not all the human race becomes enlightened, then we're developing so much quicker.

Again, these are giant leaps to make. You only need fundamental grasps of history, human psychology/sociology.

The movie wasn't about dramatizing the important stuff. It was a straight human drama wrapped in a sci-fi vehicle, designed to invoke questions about philosophy and future studies.

I understand that you're disappointed about seeing Louise's grief about her cancer baby throughout the whole narrative, but that was an important part to take in about the implications of seeing the future like the octopods.
>>
>>79182402
>what will that do to human empathy and communication? There will be a revolution in psychology.
I always pondered this IRL as if humans eventually developed telepathy, the similar effect would happen with the ability in this movie.
It would change the human psyche drastically. Eventually leading to no more lying, ill will or ill thoughts, stealing, rape, intentional killing etc
>>
haha yeah i guess /tv/ is right they should just remove the child subplot and gut the major theme of the movie about freewill i am convinced haha thanks nice
>>
>>79179475
>see the future
>everything is happy and perfect

don't write scripts please. don't write anything. ever.
>>
>>79182439
i really appreciate what youre doing here. but you are still coming up with assumptions that are in no way backed by anything shown in the movie.

i perceived the about the cancer kid more as a vehicle that she starts learning the language, but not as an philosphical kickstart (which is kind of a reflex people always have when a scifi movie lacks on actual substance).

i think that you view the film as much cleverer as it actually is. and even if it is (not my view though) its still a shit story.

all in all I think we can't agree on anything. thanks for the civil discussion though.
>>
thought it was okay-decent other than
>DUDE DUBSTEP HUMPBACK WHALE SOUNDS BBRRRXHGSLGSGE
>>
File: baby_crying_closeup.jpg (5KB, 300x193px) Image search: [Google]
baby_crying_closeup.jpg
5KB, 300x193px
>b-b-b-b-but Arrival is a good movie!!

No, it's really not.
>>
>>79180283
>I wanted SOME KIND OF FUCKING EXPLAINATION

has to be b8. everything is literally explained to your monkey face

>don't make me start the death process
>>
>>79182770
I experienced your initial frustration after I walked out of the movies back in October or whenever it was. I thought, 'why didn't they make it 20-30 mins longer to flesh more things out', then I looked up the budget and realized they probably also didn't have the studio backing to do more. Cerebral films like these that are only appreciated by above average intelligent adults are not gonna make a bunch of bucks. Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy is what people think of, when they think of sci-fi nowadays.

Also, I've since read cliffnotes about the book and realized the film was in overall harmony with what the author tried to accomplish. It was a thought experiment. I believe he even said that in an interview I read.

So yeah, I dunno, I just remember being in a similar place as you, and I ended up getting over it, and just appreciating the film we did get. Maybe weeks from now, you'll have a more balanced view.
>>
>>79182909
>only appreciated by above average intelligent adults
you really think this movie is like that? I got the impression they had made it pretty stream lined to be understood easily, but still suspenseful

>>79182909
>the film was in overall harmony with what the author tried to accomplish
I got this impression too.
The book was a best seller so the movie had to follow it's theme
>>
>>79181558

At this point you just have to be baiting.

How stupid you have to be to not get a movie that constantly explains you its ending over and over. Main character literally explains whats happening over and over by the end.

Perhaps quit movies for a while?
>>
>>79180642
*intelligent's
>>
>>79179242
>you can change thing to prevent suffering
>you do it anyways

DUDE 10/10 LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>79180279
I honestly think its 6/10 at best
>>
>>79180299
(You)
>>
>>79183069
>you really think this movie is like that? I got the impression they had made it pretty stream lined to be understood easily, but still suspenseful

Maybe I outta walk that back a bit. Yeah, they REALLY dumbed it down, but even some folks still had trouble with it.. as evidenced by that guy. I'm not claiming you're stupid, if you're reading this btw.

I think in general, a cerebral film, in a sci-fi context, with no action or romance, is not going to appeal to people under the age of 15, or under 110 IQ or whatever. So yeah, that's a huge part of the demographic, the demo that Avengers is made for. So it is a niche film in that sense.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.