[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why couldn't they be together again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

File: goose & frog.jpg (130KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
goose & frog.jpg
130KB, 1000x664px
Why couldn't they be together again?
>>
>>79153280
Oh fuck off with this dishonest shit, LA LA LAND was a 'movie' genetically engineered to appeal to imdbspawn /v/edditors with no sense of sophistication who laud stale meme dialogue, which supports upvote groupthink mentality, and meme acting with a good movie pandering reddit tier proto capeshit "entertainment" sensibilitiy and a meme tv movie videogame aesthetic. This is a flick at best and people who praise it are likely no older then 18, and female.
>>
Cuz shes strong independent dont need man
I didn't see it
>>
>>79153280
because damien saw umbrellas of cherbourg once.
>>
>>79153280
because hes a fag
and she has syphillis
>>
>>79153280
have you heard of the story of the leaf and the frog?
>>
>>79153319
But she did need a man. Just not a beta faggot like Goose.
>>
>>79153280
Chazelle took from Umbrellas of Cherbourg and An American in Paris in a Tarantino ""referencing"" move.
>>
Fuck dude, I hoped you were banned for posting this shit in /v/
I'm disappointed in the mods.
>>
Because she left to pursue her dreams while he was stuck in his shitty job.
>>
>>79153305
No, it was designed to appeal to people who work in Hollywood, as they're the ones who make up the Academy and decide the nominations and winners. Not whatever you spent a good amount of time writing.
>>
>>79153305
>i have shit taste look at me everyone
>>
What the hell is it with Froggo, half the time she's hot half the time she's hideous. In the OP pic she switches between them. The hell man.
>>
>>79153305

Have you ever had an original thought in your life?
>>
>>79156049

Froggy needs to be in motion to look attractive (which I consider a good thing). Some people are just bad in photos.
>>
>>79153280
They needed to part ways to achieve their dreams.
>>
>>79156230
And yet, they also needed to meet.

Which is why he tells a story of their ideal love, through the jazz song at the end.

The differences? He never goes on tour, even though he needed the money anyways. Her one-woman show is a complete success, even though that might have turned off the casting director or prevented her from giving the "i don't give a fuck" audition.

So, they needed to meet, and they needed to break.

>Every time they mention jazz, they are talking about Hollywood song and dance musicals.

It is a movie about movies, with a recognizable white cast. It is going to get Best Picture.
>>
>>79153305
Is this pasta?
>>
>>79153305
>which supports upvote groupthink mentality

what did he mean by this?

haven't seen the movie though
>>
>>79153280
Because Sebastian is a massive cuck. I bet he fantasizes about Mia being fucked by her husband while playing piano.
>>
>>79153305
>dishonest shit
That's the most retarded /tv/ meme ever. Like wth that means. And no, don't post another meme to explain the meme lol
>>
>>79153280

Would it have been a better picture if she just immediately ditched her husband and kid over a stormy romance that ended five years ago? If this was a Gene Kelly movie from the 50s, her husband would have been either a complete asshole (justifying ending the marriage) or deathly ill and would get dumped (for being a jerk) or die while giving his blessing for the two of them getting back together after they met at Seb's again. Only life doesn't work like that.

While La La Land's style was emulating the old musical melodramas where love conquers all at the end, the post-modern message of the movie is actually that chasing and fulfilling your personal dreams is more important than compromising/abandoning your values and the very thing that is your life's passion in order to settling for someone you happen to date.
>>
>>79155537
>No, it was designed to appeal to people who work in Hollywood

Weird how it's been able to do over six times it's original budget if it was only pandering people in Hollywood.
>>
>>79156049
>implying being a frog is something bad
fuckin normies
>>
>>79157490
>settling for someone you happen to date.
Maybe that was the case for Mia, but for Seb that love was a dream
"Is this the start of something wonderful and new?
Or one more dream that I cannot make true?"
It may not have been his primary, first dream, but it was a dream for him
>>
>>79157140
/thread
>>
>>79159051

But is a dream worth pursuing if it means crushing another one and making your significant another not happy in the process because you're no longer the person they fell in love with?
>>
>>79159051
"Love is secondary, achieve your dreams is what matters". I hate that message, true be told. But it's a great movie overall.
>>
Actually realistic.

She was a power hungry whore. She married some rich JEW Hollywood producer.
>>
>>79159221

I kinda prefer it to the old Hollywood melodrama structure where everything has gone to shit until the very the last minute where love just fixes everything with a random deus ex machina. It's one of the tropes I hate the most about old movies, alongside the typical "I'm dating someone but he/she is a dick so it makes me falling love with the lead star OK" romance shit. They actually did that right here with Mia dumping her boyfriend that she's dated only for like a month because she becomes aware that he's just the type of guy she hated being set up with at all the parties her friends took her to and she's an outsider in the relationship.
>>
>>79153280
Is La La Land the ultimate cuckold dream?
>>
>>79159182
>if it means crushing another one
You're going to have to choose between one dream or another in most cases

>making your significant another not happy in the process because you're no longer the person they fell in love with?
This is because they both decided to try and pursue their other dreams than to focus on each other.
Mia started working on her play and then made the move to Paris for a couple of months to film that movie, while Seb toured with the band to make enough money to open his club.
Their falling out started when they began to follow their dreams rather than each other

Although they may have achieved their primary dreams, I think the ending scene shows well enough that they had to give up their dream of romance with each other. Mia very clearly doesn't have a relationship with her husband like she had with Seb, and Seb during the entire last scene shows that he still longs to be with her immensely.
The dream sequence is exactly that, a dream, of them having been able to build their lives together, but because they both chose another dream it could never have happened.

>>79159221
I personally don't like the message either, but it probably depends on some people and how they are, that achieving a dream of theirs is more important than love.

Putting the message aside though, I think that their relationship could have worked out but if it wasn't for the sake of delivering a message. If it hadn't been for the falling out that seperated them, Seb could have gone to Paris with her and played in clubs to earn even more money, and when they go back to LA, Seb could open his club and they would both be able to live out their dreams with each other, because Mia would probably remain in LA for the majority of the time because of Hollywood
There's actually a foreshadowing to why Seb wouldn't have gone to Paris, in how Mia didn't want to go to Boise because she wanted to instead focus on her play, despite being a one woman show (following her dream)
>>
>>79159417
>Mia very clearly doesn't have a relationship with her husband like she had with Seb, and Seb during the entire last scene shows that he still longs to be with her immensely.

True, but considering that this is five years later and they already have a kid, the type of passionate summer love Seb and Mia had during their time wouldn't be possible anyway.

The beauty of Seb and Mia was that their passions ended up feeding each other's dreams, until it became clear they would have to break up in order to fulfill them individually. Mia wouldn't need that anymore once she had become an established star.

With Seb, it's true that he still longs for her, but that's partly because he more of a romantic at heart, which is what fuels his passion for Jazz. While them meeting again is a bittersweet moment, I felt that ultimately he was content and happy with the way their lives turned out.

The magic of relationships like theirs ending is that you can always play the idealized what if game later, but in practice they hardly ever would turn up the way you fantasize. Compromising both of their dreams to stay together could easily have turned into mutual resentment.
>>
>>79159417
Ending was too rushed, probably because they run out of time and/or money. Movie had a very low budget, I think.
Sebastian dream is a bit, well, whatever. "Hey, I'm in a very sucessful band, but I prefer to open a little jazz music club in LA. JUST in LA, you know". I was thinking: "whatever you say, Damien".
>>
>>79159589
>Hey, I'm in a very sucessful (sic) band, but I prefer to open a little jazz music club in LA.

So you missed the part where he clearly is disgusted by the fusion jazz his friend plays and the whole celebrity racket with the photo shoots, or that he only joined the band for the paycheck?
>>
>>79159586
>the type of passionate summer love Seb and Mia had during their time wouldn't be possible anyway.
I know, or at least it wouldn't have been possible because it had been five years later and one (as far as we know) is married
I get what you mean though.
I think part of that bittersweet ending is almost how they know that had the circumstances been different (Mia not being married), that they probably could have gotten together again. Almost as if the one obstacle to achieving their dreams was their romance, and now that both their dreams had come true, that they could now pursue the dream of being together again.
Neither of them is going to be broken up over it, as it's clear that before they are reminded of each other they've moved on and both living their lives how they wanted (Mia as an actress and Seb as the happy owner of a successful jazz club), but the sudden snap back to the past holds immense value to both of them, and from that one fleeting moment they knew that if they could start over again right then and there that it could have been. I think that the shared dream sequence of them both going through their lives from when they first met to a fantasized version of their current lives where they're together is a clear indicator of that

>>79159589
>Sebastian dream is a bit, well, whatever
It's what he wanted to do, to some being in a successful band seems like a much greater reality than owning a small jazz club, but that's what Seb wanted and so that's what he aimed for. Also like the other anon said, Seb didn't care for the band, he only wanted the money so that he could chase after his dream
>>
>>79159750
Come on, he might have been two or three years touring, earning a lot of money to open like 10 little jazz's clubs if he wanted to do it.
>>
Just like with jack going down in Titanic, it was written in the script and has nothing to do with what was shown on screen.
>>
>>79153280
Because it's 2017 and happy endings exist only in fairy tales.
>>
>>79153280
Because it is simply impossible for him to go with her to Paris and play Jazz in some of the best clubs in the world for 3 months, supported on her new cushy salary like he supported her. Then he could come back and make his Jazz club while she's a big star.

It's also impossible for them to be long-distance for 3 months until she comes back to LA.

Simply impossible.
>>
File: real talk.png (947B, 416x454px) Image search: [Google]
real talk.png
947B, 416x454px
Does anyone else feel that this film really doesn't work it's messages well and just sorta stumbles through them? I mean, the scenes are there and the beats are written, but they lack something more meaty to be really effective and memorable, a lot of the scenes are dry and subduded. Which is weird considering this is a musical and they have everything to make messages, themes and character developments work through song, like many of the amazing scenes where music leads everything.

Basically, whenever there's music playing, the movie feels magical, truly and powerfully magical, the kind of shit that really does make you feel good and tap your feet, but whenever they go back to the main drama, like the second third of the film where there's like 40 minutes of no songs, the movie loses you.

Still, this is a fantastic little film, the amazing final sequence is something that will still be talked about for years to come.

>>79160051
Another thing, isn't it kinda weird that an optimistic movie that goes after that romantic-hollywood feeling, following your dreams and shit, ends on a pretty cynical pessimistic message?
>>
>>79160719

The film was going to be a process where she would have to spend hours each day just working the character before they even started shooting, meaning she wouldn't really have any time to be with him, so he'd be left alone most of the time. And there's no guaranteed he could just get work like that at a club, no matter how good he was, meaning his dream would easily keep slipping away as he was being supported by Mia. And you're really overestimating how much money she would be making, plus there was no guarantee that it would be a smash hit (nor is there any hint that it was, just that it helped her get her career going).

And they already showed their long-distance relationship had cracks when Sebastian was just touring.
>>
>>79160824

Not really, because the movie is about subverting the tropes of old musicals. The message isn't pessimistic, it's more grounded on realism.
>>
>>79159287
There was not any casting couch scene. Was Mia trying for 6 years and never tried to fuck any producer? Seriously? This is the biggest WTF for me.
>>
>>79156599
>>79157490
I would say not necessarily to both of these. First of all, they didn't "need" to meet. I thought the movie felt very realistic without wanting to give too much of a message into love, and I'll explain why.

If you've ever been in a relationship that lasted for a considerable amount of time and it ended, you know that your mind soon gets flooded with a thousand different scenarios in which things could've gone differently, millions of attitudes you took that you didn't really need to take, etc. Sebastian didn't took that job with the band because he wanted money, or needed money, nor because his dream was to be part of the band, he took it because he heard Froggo explaining to her mom on the phone that he had no job. The movie makes it clear this is a bad decision from him by having Seb be dressed in all-black during all the scenes with his band. It was just one move that got the ball rolling to eventually set them apart. If he could go back in time, he would never get into the band, because he wanted to be with her. Now

>the post-modern message of the movie is actually that chasing and fulfilling your personal dreams is more important than compromising/abandoning your values and the very thing that is your life's passion in order to settling for someone you happen to date

I also don't think so. That message is quite cynical against love and that's clearly not the aim of the movie. The montage at the end shows they could've achieved their dreams by being together, but they both made wrong turns that separated them. Who knows, maybe if Seb was there the whole time and he helped her, her one-man show could actually have been a success. At the very least she wouldn't fail so hard to the point of breaking up with him.
>>
>>79161016
The point I'm trying to get at is that I don't think there's really such a strong message, I felt it all happens very organically, which is why I liked the movie. They take actions which increasing drive them apart, and after Seb gets her the audition, she asks where they stand, and since she's about to go away, he says, "Let's wait and see." But time does what time does and naturally just creates a bigger hole in their lives forever. There's no final fight, no big dramatic thing, nothing. Just life, kind of. The movie was magical but the relationship felt very realistic to me.
>>
>>79161016
>The montage at the end shows they could've achieved their dreams by being together,

But that entire jazz number is clearly not meant to be a fact, but an idealized fantasy where they both go "what if?" Hence why it's a throwback to the fantastical and abstract song and dance numbers of the Gene Kelly films like Singing in the Rain and American in Paris.
>>
Wow, some deep discussion here. /tv/ is so good sometimes... Great job, everybody. By the way, Damien, are you here lol
>>
>>79161075
Yes, but that's what it symbolizes. Again, the movie portrayal of a relationship is very realistic despite the fact that the movie itself is almost surreal. The message is neither to "drop anything for love" nor "drop love to achieve your dreams," for me, it's just telling the tale of a love that didn't happen. And it's a very, very relatable end-of-relationship train of thought.

Maybe their lives wouldn't quite have happened the same way had they been together, maybe it wouldn't have been as perfect as Seb imagined it, but they weren't the thing stopping each other and it wasn't the breakup that made everything work. It just didn't work out. This is why it hurts, there's no real explanation or justification. It just didn't work out.
>>
>>79161118
Fair enough. But ending was a mistake. They don’t have a happy ending just because they don’t wanted a fairytale that critics would have ripped to pieces. But, as Sebastian said: “fuck them!” Movie deserved a happy ending, not bittersweet looks.
>>
>>79161232
I don't know, I kind liked how grown up this was.

In most of the movies with the similar "unhappy ending" they always try to give you reasons to side with one character or the other, to hate someone, to make sense of the breakup. La La Land didn't do that, you know it's neither of their fault, like I said there was no fight, no one cheats, no one's a bitch, no one's hateable... It just fails.

That hurts so sweetly that I think it was brilliant.
>>
>>79161083
Yes, but I'm upset people called me on the Cherbourg thing. It's not as though I tried to hide the influence. I was on TCM giving it an into for fuck's sake.
>>
>>79161232
>Movie deserved a happy ending, not bittersweet looks.

IMO subverting that trope is exactly what redeems the last third of the movie. If it had all worked out in the end, it's far too convenient and syrupy. You might want it, but it'd be too cheap for the story to go that route.
>>
>>79161284
Honest question. Why there was not any casting couch scene? Anything else about LA world was so real and brilliant: traffic, Hollywood parties, casting calls and so. But the lack of any casting couch scene kinda killed the immersion.
>>
>>79153305
not sure if shitposting, copypasta, or just good old ranting. but i actually agree.

the movie had great chemistry/acting from the two leads, but honestly everything else was meh.
>>
>>79161288
Bittersweet ending is a trope too since Casablanca, even since first Oscar winning picture "Wings". Nothing subverting here.
>>
>>79153280
Because Emma Stone is actually ugly bugly and Gos is a handsome fucker
>>
Mia jumped on a rich director/producer's dick in order to secure more roles
>>
Chazelle is a hack that's why
>>
>>79153354
Tell it to us, Anon
>>
>>79161963
but it's not that common in the type of romantic musicals that La La Land is drawing inspiration from
>>
When will Emma Stone do a graphic rape scene?

:(
>>
File: La-La-Land-1[1].jpg (302KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
La-La-Land-1[1].jpg
302KB, 1000x665px
Musicalfags, get in here, let's discuss what makes this movie shine, not the weak writing, subversion of tropes or whatever the fuck message on the reality of relationships, let's talk about the fucking MUSIC.

Epilogue > Audition > Someone in the Crowd > City of Stars > Another Day of Sun > A Lovely Night

Someone in the Crowd is surprisingly underrated, personally it's the most complete and the most ''musical'' of the numbers, it has everything. Those instrumental parts are perfection, that part after Emma sings slowly and the song keeps building up to the climax is fucking heavenly, HEAVENLY, the extra bit of direction where everyone stands still besides couples who are slowly dancing, goddamn. FUCKING HEAVENLY.
>>
>>79163278
one man can dream
>>
>>79163231
"Oh, I'm doing something unusual at romantic musicals but that always happens at different cinematographic genres. How great I am!!"
Not sure if you are serious or not.
>>
>>79163357
>Another Day of Sun so low

Come on, bro.
>>
>>79163357
Start a Fire is a great song too.
>>
>>79153305
FPBP
>>
>>79160824

The music is OK at best.
>>
>>79161420
The casting couch is kind of a dying thing for the most part (Michael Bay being the last bastion). It'll help you get in the room, but there are so many people involved that unless you're a good actress you're not going to get *the* role. It'll definitely help you get smaller roles, commercials and the like. It's even implied that's what her roommates do (and it's how they got their smaller roles) and the reason she's not getting the more bullshit jobs to pad her finances so she can quit the coffee shop.
>>
This shit is just graduated community college and Glee the movie. Now where is my free art degree?
>>
>>79164715
go pick it up at Harvard.
>>
>>79160824
>like the second third of the film where there's like 40 minutes of no songs, the movie loses you.
That may be sort of the point. There's less and less music because unlike how Mia and Seb's relationship was going well at the beginning, as things start to get strained and have problems, you hear less and less music to signify how the happiness is gone

>>79163357
>implying A Lovely Night isn't great for the playful rejections they throw despite clearly liking each other
I'll admit the choreography of the scene is a bit weak, but it's very fun
>>
>>79164770
But im not a minority. Wait maybe a I am now.
>>
>>79164654
I get that, but I was expecting a scene where a creepy famous producer or director offered her a first good gig and some connections, and Mia internal struggle to accept or not the offer at least. That scene will be not about money, but rather about getting a chance to fulfill her dream. Ideally, she would have accepted the offer, thinking: “its just the price that you have to pay for your dream. Grow up, Mia, Hollywood is not an easy place. You can do it!”
>>
>>79164832
I actually love the simple and less-grandiose choreography of Lovely Night, it makes a personal cute moment between them that extra special.

But as you say, it's just a fun little song, great but it has to be compared to the rest.
>>
>>79164654
Nah. Casting couch is bigger than ever. So few productions, so many famous actresses trying to get just a shitty television pilot. And there’s a whole generation of former kid’s starlets (Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Miranda Cosgrove and such) trying to get serious adult roles because they are too old for kids networks.
>>
>>79163357
>Epilogue > Audition > Someone in the Crowd > City of Stars > Another Day of Sun > A Lovely Night

I'm just want to say that I'm pretty okay with that. Good taste, anon.
>>
>>79153305
>imdbspawn /v/edditors liberal sjw cuck meme dialogue groupthink movie pandering reddit tier proto capeshit

your comment has more buzzwords then content
>>
>>79153280
Shes a senator
>>
>>79165464
interesting
>>
>>79153280
Cause this mogie is particulary sicere in how women are. You can see it when she left her lover fo no reason during the dinner for going at the cinema with the protagonist, i can gamble she has done the same when in Paris. This movie tells you how women are.
>>
>>79167914
*movie
>>
File: 1326805898281.jpg (71KB, 410x272px) Image search: [Google]
1326805898281.jpg
71KB, 410x272px
>>79165464
>spouting speculation as fact
>>
>>79153280
In reality the chick would have been fine with the dude having to change his musical style a little to sell out enough to have a career. The movie was about pure unfiltered idealism though, so she had a problem with it and thus pretty much ended it all right there.
>>
>>79159401

Maybe...
>>
>>79163357
I'm totally okay with this list, just switch day of son and city of stars
>>
MGTOW: The Movie
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.