[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arrival Alien Language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 12

File: tmp-cam--596879920.jpg (48KB, 640x336px) Image search: [Google]
tmp-cam--596879920.jpg
48KB, 640x336px
A few questions about this movie.

So, near the end of the movie Dr. Banks understand the power to see the future or to see time as non-linear thanks to the Septapod language. But i am still a bit confused, is that allowing her to merely see the future (and perhaps the past) or she can actually interact with peoples from the future like with General Shang, or is the language creating some kind of alternate dimension where all future events play out?

Also is there only one possible future timeline? Why can't she just alter the future if she knows what's going to happen? Hell, its possible that it's just one of the many possibility of things that can happen but might be changed. Or maybe its just her personal choice?

Overall, i quite enjoy this movie. Nice cinematography and decent cast. Its also quite refreshing to not have this ended up as some cliche alien horror/war/invasion movie, but simply about trying to communicate with them.
>>
It allows her to see all of her lifespan at the same time.

She could possibly change her future through different actions, but the book is more about accepting the bad in life as what makes the good times wirth remembering.

Yes, her child died and she left her husband, but until she changes time she doesnt know what she will end up with. Could die next week in a plane crash.

Her new ability allows her to choose that course in full understanding that the eventual sadness is worth it for the happiness she experiences before that. Reminded me of Paul Atreides in Dune, he saw an end point and simply enacted his precognition as it played out.

Its asking 'would you throw the dice and risk some of the greatest happiness that you havent had yet?'.
>>
>>79124627
the whole concept is retarded, learning a crappy smudge language won't allow you to see future, any physicist would laugh at this concept
the movie presents the tired meme theory that the time is set as an existing fourth dimension and that everything that happened and happens is already set there and we are simply reading that dimension in order, like reading a book, but learning the language allowed her to skip ahead in the book and read the future pages
the movie is boring and the concept is fucking retarded
i thought that the time travel concept in interstellar was stupid and it couldn't get any worse but oh boy has this movie proven me wrong
>>
look, it's a story about a woman who sees the writing on the wall that her ovaries are ticking and she imagines a future where she has a child and comes to realization that it's worth the parental anxiety of knowing your children will suffer and die. the aliens are her parents.
>>
>>79124627
She can see her life. She can't change it.
>>
>>79125086
no, she can change it, it's just that her future takes into account her changes
>>
>>79125141
No she can't. There's no way a film character can change the script which holds the character's story and narrative.
>>
>>79125086
You can literally change your future only if you know what it will be.
>>
I didn't want to believe the memes, but this was a dishonest flick.
>>
>>79125209
This is why you read Oedipus in school people, so you don't become retarded later!
>>
>>79125285
I sometimes pretend to read ulysses on the tube to impress hot chicks sitting across from me, does that count?
>>
>>79125367
That's the main reason to read anything.
>>
>>79124627
>she can actually interact with peoples from the future like with General Shang,
She didn't interact with him, it was just shit writing and convenient that he would show her his phone number and repeat everything she said to him.
>>
>>79125285
>Oedipus in school people
Is that a book ?
>>
>>79124783

No it isn't you pleb

It's understanding that time isn't linear and that her daughter dying is just one stage of her time and you can go back and still interact and enjoy all the other times, she's never dead when you can experience other times

Like how when Abbott is in his "death process"
>>
>>79124627
Turn off your brain, bro, it's capeshit
>>
>>79125500
I think maybe she did tell Shang afterwards about how she knows about his wife's dying words. Basically a time loop. Shang said that he come to that meeting in the future specifically to meet Louise. He simply do that to close the loop and securing the 'good' timeline.
>>
>>79124794
>what is a movie and why am i so mad about it?
>>
>>79124947
>the aliens are her parents.
What? That's never said/explained/implied in the movie anon
>>
>>79125916
>1.5 hours of fantastic presentation and buildup
>plot reveal is extremely lame
>"lmao, why mad bro??"
>>
>>79124627
The true weapon is the love inside you <3
>>
>>79124794
Best description of the language and this move I have seen yet.
>>
>>79124627
She can see all of her lifetime from any one point in the timeline. Her ability to do that is a bit sketchy and not fully developed. Everything you see in the movie is just a memory. If it happened to you, you'd not be able to distinguish memory from reality. It'd be like dreaming your life.
>>
>>79124794
Are you me?
>>
>>79124627
She was so shitty in Arrival. This bitch literally plays the same character, gerself in everything. Cannot act. Jlaw 2.0.

Good thing she looks like a freak on screen and is done.
>>
>>79124627
Stop trying to understand it, it doesn't make any sense, I've wasted my time trying to understand Interstellar, and regretted it when I found out that it was nothing but bullshit. I was so furious that I wasted my money/time on this shit when I found out that it was about the same bullshit concept. The concept is pretty much this: >>79124794 .

This track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7HMtIz87Q) was the only good thing about this movie, and it's not even its own soundtrack, lol.
>>
>>79124794
>What is suspension of disbelief
>>
>>79127013
Xer shan't speak of m'lady as such. En garde.
>>
>>79124794
but i thought that she had those foresight powers already. being able to write and interpret that alien language was an effect of having that power, not the other way around. the concept is even more retarded, but that's what they hinted at in the movie several times.
>>
File: AngryAmy.jpg (34KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
AngryAmy.jpg
34KB, 625x417px
>>79127013
Hahaha its him again look at him spreading his silly J-Law 2.0 pasta. Isn't he the funniest guy around? Come one guys, here give him a (you), i bet anon already work hard to save this pasta and posting it here, haha good job anon ;^)
>>
>>79127075
suspension of disbelief only works if the fiction is still grounded in reality.
>>
>>79127087
>i thought that she had those foresight powers already.
No. The foresight power only begin to appear after she translates the first alien word.
>>
>>79127178
but when she meets general shang he says something like: "i don't know how your mind works, but i feel like i should show you this", and shows her his phone number. his statement implies that she is like the only one that has that power.
>>
>>79127808
She is because she is the only human who learned it so far
>>
>hey let's attack these ancient aliums who are capable of FTL and can control gravity and are obviously thousands of years ahead of us in technology
fucking chinks, when will they lear?
>>
>>79125916
>comes to /tv/ to discuss movies
>DURR IT'S JUST A MOVIE STOP BEING MAD
fucking retard. kill yourself
>>
Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened
>>
File: dr-manhattan[1].jpg (19KB, 306x400px) Image search: [Google]
dr-manhattan[1].jpg
19KB, 306x400px
The non-linear time thing is explained in more detail in watchmen.
>>
>>79127882
Seriously, why were ANY of the army guys even entertaining the thought of a "first strike" or figuring out whether they were friendly? These fuckers appeared over night with no warning and you think we can take them out by sneak-bombing them? You might as well try to take out a tank by getting in close with a rock behind your back. If they're not friendly we're simply fucked.

I really fucking hope the world's military powers won't be that fucking stupid if aliens suddenly show up in RL.
>>
>>79128047
In real life army would be shitting their pants and would never wanted to attack, because in real life guys in charge of the army aren't idiots and would know we would stand no chance... that being said it's possible some retard like kim chong un could go full autism mode and fuck up earth by firing one of his dollar store nukes at the alium ships
>>
>>79127837
>she is the only human who learned it so far

but it's like two years after the events when he says that. she even wrote a book, "how to read heptapodician, for dummies", and still nobody else than her can look into the future apparantly...
>>
>>79128047
Worse is that the white traitor was egged on my media reporting people's fear and doubts. He can't have a cellphone, but he can use the internet and watch the news. It's such bullshit.

Also, anyone can just take a military vehicle and go for a fucking joyride right up to the unguarded alien spaceship. I can jump on board with the bullshit, sci-fi time travel language just because, but that level of negligence is absurd.
>>
>>79128136
She is a genius linquist, literally best one on the planet, she can a be sole human who is capable of learning the language good enough to have the retarded future seeing effect
Einstein died like million years ago and how many people understand general relativity as well as he today? 0? 1? 2 tops
>>
>>79125500
>>79125886

>some chick rings you up on your secret cellphone number and tells you your wife's last words to make you listen and then uses the perfect choice of words to convince you that you've translated things wrong and not to start a war with the aliens
>some chick then reveals that the aliens were giving us their language as a "gift" and that learning the language lets you see the future
>you're not a fucking retard so you put two and two together and decide to go to a function with the future-seer to tell her what she needs to know to stop you from starting the first alien war

This is not hard to grasp, anons.
>>
>>79128192
>how many people understand general relativity as well as he today?

neil degrasse tyson for one
>>
>>79128190
>Also, anyone can just take a military vehicle and go for a fucking joyride

Fuck the jeep, what about the several pounds of C4 they just waltzed off with? Did nobody think it odd that these guys were loading up a jeep with C4 and timers and shit? We at least heard radio-chatter about apprehending the guys taking the jeep for a joyride, but how the hell did they get their hands on the C4 to start with? Was it just guarded by two people, both of who were in on committing treason after listening to some radio-pundit?

And then of course you have the part where these idiots thought some C4 would be enough to take down the alien ship that can manipulate fucking gravity, and that taking one down wouldn't immediately make the other 11 annihilate humanity.

That shit really was harder to swallow than the time-travel-language.
>>
>>79127914
Some of my friends find Interstellar a bit 'confusing' or mind blowing. Tbqh its just the movie studio/director trying to communicate the story they want to tell in the easiest way possible.

I don't think that's necessarily their fault, they have to ensure the movie's profitability and to do that they have to get the attention of the general audience, so expect a lot more exposition and action scenes.

Anyway, what do you think are some sci-fi movies that don't follow this way? I can't name a modern example.
>>
>>79128389
Soldiers aren't know for their brain size
>>
>>79128389
>thought some C4 would be enough to take down the alien ship that can manipulate fucking gravity
To be fair the C4 kills one of the aliens, and probably dealt some damages too.
>>
>>79128192
you're making it seem like linguistics is some kind of impossible hard science. she's really good at translating things and possibly also cryptography. it's silly to think that she would be the only one who could do those things.
>>
>>79125179
>There's no way a film character can change the script which holds the character's story and narrative.
this is the type of autistic people that congregate on this tambourine tuning forum.
>>
>>79128593
And you are little bit too slow to catch onto a metanarrative of Arrival.
>>
>>79128631
go get diagnosed with autism.
>>
this thread feels like people are discussing the later story arcs of jojo's bizarre adventure.

which isn't a good thing
>>
Itt: brainlets who mistakenly felt smart for the first time watching arrival
>>
File: ChrisO'Dowd.png (46KB, 101x116px) Image search: [Google]
ChrisO'Dowd.png
46KB, 101x116px
>"you're asking too much, I'm just going to go to the next guy on the list of linguists to help me"
>"ok, just ask him what the sanskrit word for war means!"
>"lolk"
>shows up with a fucking helicopter in the middle of the night
>"he said disagreement, what do you say?"
>"desire for cows!"
>"you're hired, get to da choppah."

U wot. Why would the army guy care so much about this weird fucking test that he'd go back to her to get her take on it with a helicopter in the middle of the night? How could he even gauge that her answer was better? Why the fuck wouldn't he just bring along BOTH of them, since they're bot clearly top linguists that you'd want working together on this shit?

What a fucking weird way to prove to the army that you're the single linguist they want to translate an alien language.
>>
>>79128781
why wasn't the other linguist on the chopper? what if the army had preferred his translation? then they would have to go all the way back to get him.

they had already decided to go with her.
>>
>>79128781
I never ceases to amaze me that movies like get funded dozens of millions while the script is clearly written by a 13 years old kid
Like holy fuck, just his an average joe for for $10/hour to read your script and tell you "wow this part is fucking retarded"
>>
>>79128840
Why not use the phone?

Also, I would have liked to see the scene with the other linguist. Imagine how pissed he'd be knowing that he missed out on meeting aliens because she tripped him up with some inane sanskrit translation test.
>>
>>79128883
it's a shame because the concept is pretty cool, and i love alien encounter movies. no wonder it wasn't his idea.
>>
>>79128781
disagreement is the literal translation of the word, but "desire for cows" was the cause of that disagreement. you SEE, she doesn't just translate things, she looks at the DEEPER MEANING OF THINGS, BECAUSE SHE'S THE BEST LINGUINI IN THE WORLD.
>>
>>79125086

I thought that the point was that she chose to go ahead with the future even though she knew it was going to be tragic
>>
I wonder if there will ever be a single alien invasion movie where they won't make the "they are the colonists and humans are the Indians" reference
>>
>>79129004
That's what she thinks because of illusion of free will, but the script of the film removes the character of any free will in reality.
>>
>>79129007
Why should they? It's a pretty good analogy that people would most definitely use if it happened.
>>
>>79129004
yeah, the scriptwriter thought that was emotional and he just threw it in there because he liked.
>>
>>79129007
>aliens come to earth
>they are more advanced
>humans go to alien planet
>they are more advanced
I'd like a movie we're we were the more advanced people. Besides avatar.
>>
>>79129007
>>
>>79129169

Hollywood would just use it for guilting whitey for being evil racist colonialists.
>>
>>79129169
Star Trek has many instances where the humans are way more technologically advanced than the aliens they meet.
>>
During the entire movie i was waiting for the scene where they are talking with the aliens and then suddenly one of the humans realizes that something is off... and then he realizes what and looks at the canary in the cage who is lying there dead and the next second the aliums go full apeshit against the glass and everyone starts to run and this movies starts being awesome.
It never happened ;_;
>>
>>79129205
i never actually watched any star trek, series or movies, even though i like sf. its just too damn much, and knowing me i would have to start from the beginning.
>>
>>79129169
Do you know what that isn't the case? because that would be boring.
>OH NO WE ARE BEING INVADED BY ALIEN SPECIES WITH TECHNOLOGY FROM OUR 50s
>oh wow we won in one day, with zero casualties that was easy and boring
>>
>>79129250
Why would they even bring a canary. This is 2016, not 1916. I am sure they must have had a lot more sophisticated equipment. I'm sure there are things that could fuck us up before killing us or the canary. Also there was a surprising amount of shots focusing on the canary, I was kind of waiting for something too just because of that, even though I didn't anticipate anything specific. Maybe just for sake of tension.
>>
>>79129297

The invasion isn't the interesting bit, the colonial society is.
>>
>>79129265
the series are stand alone
if you want best of star trek watch voyager and ignore the rest (also in voyager skip the tuvix episode, holy shit the cringe)
>>
File: 1481571771515.gif (2MB, 300x160px) Image search: [Google]
1481571771515.gif
2MB, 300x160px
>>79129352
>if you want best of star trek watch voyager
>>
>>79129297
>won
i'm not talking some BOMB BANG EXPLOSIONS type of movie.

also maybe my post wasn't clear, but i would like us to go somewhere, not they coming here. let us be the aliens.
>>
>>79124627

To understand the language she must understand and perceive time non linearly.

Which means not as a sequence of events playing out as she lives, but as all existing together, past, present and future, so it's like a book where you can check out an page.

But despite being able to perceive time this way, she exists in one place and one time, her sphere of influence is limited to her corporeal vessel.

It can be argued that despite being able to see the future, the fact that she sees it means IT WILL happen, so she has no choice in how it plays out and will say what she was always going to say and do what she had already seen herself do.
>>
>>79129390
And do what there? Start diplomatic relationships and focus the movie on showing how we establish trading routes and technology exchange? That would be booooring. And even if we started a war there it would be boring because humanity isn't at stake, we have a crapload of planets inhabited since we can travel to the alien planet, so there is no sense of risk. But if the aliums come to earth it's all chips in for the people monkeys.
>>
>>79129004
That's why she had to get heavily drunk on wine the night she conceived her baby, she knew it was going to hurt her, she knew she was going to lose the kid but she knew it had to happen and forced herself to make it happen.

Technically she was raped by her future vision.
>>
>>79129484
>Start diplomatic relationships and focus the movie on showing how we establish trading routes and technology exchange? That would be booooring.
n-no it wouldn't. also things don't need to be at stake, there doesn't have to be any greater risk.

w-we are all entitled to our opinions anon.
>>
>>79129337
>I am sure they must have had a lot more sophisticated equipment

They did. But it was a very alien situation. For all they knew the alien ship might have been giving off random bursts of energy that would fuck up their more sophisticated technology, or there'd be something that the equipment wasn't programmed to pick up on. The canary was a simple analogue solution for such an event.

The focus on it was odd, though.
>>
>>79129352

8.5/10 troll.
>>
>>79129584
>n-no it wouldn't.
Yes it would a similar movie like this was already made, maybe you know it it's called the Arrival and everyone thinks it's shit
>>
>>79124794
>ywn be this mad over a movie you didn't understand

If only I was dumb like the rest of you anons
*sigh*
>>
>>79129625
>maybe you know it it's called the Arrival and everyone thinks it's shit
...you didn't read my post. shame, shame!
>>
>>79129585
I thought it was kinda odd that on one hand they're pointing out what a huge challenge this is and how hard it is to work out what are parts of a language are what's just noise, but they're also like
>HEY ALIENS PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE LOUD FUCKER IN THE CORNER WHO WON'T SHUT UP TOTALLY IRRELEVANT
>>
>>79128781
>sup Amy Adams I'm the army dude
>so we have this 20 second recording of some weird burping noises
>*plays it*
>so? you recognize any phrases and sentences in the murmuring burping noises?
>*waits 5 seconds*
>how the fuck can't you decipher this?? but you have no trouble translating an actual human language uttered with human vocal organs, what the fuck?
>k I'm outta here to turn down the next guy who can't translate the burping noises
>>
>>79129763
what if the aliens were trying to communicate with the bird the whole time
>>
>>79129813
You literally just fixed the movie
>>
>>79129813
>>79129845
i was actually just waiting for ian to joke about that, after they had all those shots of the canary.
>>
File: Bruges.jpg (200KB, 753x544px) Image search: [Google]
Bruges.jpg
200KB, 753x544px
>>79129779
>you actually want to MEET the aliens to act as a translator for us? Fuck you lady, we're not running a zoo. We'll just get another dude who can translate it for us over the phone.
>other guy can't translate it either
>okay you can come and talk to the aliens.

I really hope the military isn't this stupid when it comes to translating unknown languages in RL.
>>
when does costello tell about the 3000 years part ? Was it the scene with the smoke and everything? how did you get 3000? she doesn't say anything about 3000....., explain me this please,...
>>
>>79129996
>okay the person more qualified do act as alien translator will be the one who tells me the sanskrt word for war
>hey lady the other dude told be that the sanskrt word for war is BLAHBLAH was he correct?
>lady: Nope.
>okay you're in, since i don¨t speak sanskrt i have no idea if you are lying or not so you better be telling the truth or else nothing because i have o way to check anyway
>>
>>79130289
Did you miss the alien subtitles?
>>
The burping noises were the aliens laughing because they just kept typing "COCK" in ink over and over again and watched humans give it stupid meanings
>>
>>79124627
>A few questions about this movie
For all answers:
It was shit.
>>
>>79130289
>>
>>79130419
>>79130490

Oh God,....in the italian version of the film, there aren't any fucking subtitles....,.....and also the aliens aren't called "Abbott and Costello" but "Tom and Jerry" ..... WTF...
>>
>>79130685
in norwegian it was abbott and costello, but i doubt many people would understand the reference.
>>
>>79130718

but in Italy we know "Abbot and Costello"...the italian name of this comedy duo is "Gianni e Pinotto"

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianni_e_Pinotto
>>
>>79130685
>the aliens aren't called "Abbott and Costello" but "Tom and Jerry" ..... WTF...
Now I am curious, is there any other non-US viewers here who got a different version of the name?
>>
>>79130685
So was it Tom or Jerry who got killed in the explosion?
>>
>>79130339
>>79130339
>>79130339
>>79130339
THIS
>>
>>79130810
norwegians might know the names too, but probably not their whole miscommunication shtick which was the reason they named them that in the movie.
>>
>>79130938

Who's more likely of those two characters to die?
>>
>>79130810

heh... I guess it was a miscommunication just like in the flick

makes me hmmm
>>
File: latest.jpg (105KB, 1040x763px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
105KB, 1040x763px
>not calling the aliens kang and kodos
i would have stood up and clapped loudly if they had done that
>>
>>79130938
>>79130976

Tom dies in the explosion
>>
>>79131405

Nailed it.
>>
I thought the first scene when they are on the alien ship was brilliant. None of the rest of the movie lived up to that promise though. The resolution was especially disappointing. Hollywood is obsessed with putting meaning in movies and most of the time it really just drags it down.
>>
>>79130870
poland white country reporting in
we had abott and costello and everyone got the reference
poland is 1st world country confirmed
>>
>>79131405
At least they got something right.
>>
File: 1480202873130.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1480202873130.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
How the fuck did she have her visions in the first part of the movie without ever having been exposed to the ayylium language first?

She did clearly have those visions, as she is shown distressed by those visions, I think she even comments on them but I don't remember as I have seen it a long time ago.
>>
>>79132334
she didn't start having the visions until after encountering the aliens
>>
>>79132358

The movie even begins with a vision, and I remember she has a vision before even entering the spaceship. Sorry if I'm wrong.
>>
>>79132395
The story is being told to us by her after everything's already happened. Everything is jumbled just like the alien writing was jumbled into a circle, because she's unhinged from time or whatever.
>>
>>79132518
Such a cheap plot device desu
>>
>>79132395
it is not clear that those are "visions." the actual visions she has she is shown waking from. in those cases it is just like an interlude
>>
>>79131623

t. coal burner

>>79130870

in my case im from spain but just watch american movies in english. im kinda curious how they even translated abbott and costello, but i also dont even want to know
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 688x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 688x720px
>>79128679
>>
>>79128781
i really dont get that scene, somebody explain it pls
>>
>>79129649
*tips fedora*

Back to /le/ddit you go!
>>
Besides the obvious moronic time traveling language shit (you can use your knowledge of the future to affect the present but only sometimes)

What was with the totally forced "weapon" miscommunication? Were all the countries using the same alien to human dictionary to ALL read it as "give weapon. Use weapon"

No country introduced the word "tool" to these aliens?

And when the big reveal happens that it's not just Chinese aliens, but American aliens talking about weapons why isn't Amy all like "wait this might be a misunderstanding, let's go back to the tape to when we taught them that word!"

Also, the teaching sections were hilarious. I get how you do easy shit they showed like names and walking but you don't get to gloss over teaching them concepts like "purpose" by having an 80's montage.
>>
>>79133984
I think it's supposed to show that the other guy just went with a simple explanation, either because he was worse at translating that particular language or(more likely) because he was dumbing it down to the military guy, whereas she went in-depth with it and tied it to its historical origin.

I just don't get why the military man who thought she'd be able to translate an alien language from a recording would care one jot about who translated a Sanskrit word the most faithfully.
>>
>>79128192
General relativity? Probably hundreds of thousands...

t. Cosmologist
>>
>>79125141
Then the future she sees is the same either way and she can't change it.
>>
>>79127944
It works because he can see and act on the future. Basically, everything he sees in the future he still chooses to do.

In arrival did Abbott and Costello see the c4 and still let it kill one of them? Because? Or can you only use the future reading sometimes?

Also the aliens could see that thousands of years in the future humans would help them, and even with their language you can only see your lifespan future so these aliens must live thousands of years. So Abbott sees he dies to the c4 and is cool with that and otherwise he probably doesn't die for another thousand years at least... shouldn't Costello be pissed his boy is essentially committing suicide?
>>
>>79129197
That sounds about right actually
>>
>>79134415
>Because?

If Abbott does not die then because of some sequence of events humanity won't be saving them in 3000 years. So he took one for the team, dying to save his race.

Makes sense to me.
>>
>>79130339
>Sanskrit
>Saniggers
>Sandniggers
He might have picked some up from killing sandniggers his whole life. Also, there's Google.
>>
>>79134415
Maybe C is tired of that faggot shitting up his screen with ink and shit. Maybe Abbott is 2999 years old and some other mac daddy tripod sent him on this mission and told him the stakes. Or maybe the Secotpods experience time like the tralfamadorians from Slaughterhouse-five (all at once).
>>
Why did the aliens need humanity in 3000 years?
>>
>>79134991
That's when their previous crop of food runs out.
>>
>>79134290
duh what about the special
>>
>>79133767
so how does king crimson work?
>>
>>79134991
that is great thing, they never fucking said why
and they never even shown us what was in that message they gave the humans and you needed the rest of 12 pieces
>>
Now seriously - Loise choise is deep in the morally grey area for me. she wilingly takes a child to the world who will later suffer from all stages of cancer and whats more important the desperation and giref of her short life ending so abruptly. fuck thats cold
>>
>>79134415
>even with their language you can only see your lifespan future

Sure, but if one of them as a kid realises shit hits the fan when he's old, he'll tell his dad. And his dad will future remember his son's warning and tell HIS dad when he's a kid. It's like backwards myths.
>>
File: 1485448384420.jpg (174KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
1485448384420.jpg
174KB, 1533x961px
Why didn't they jusy tape a poster on the glass with morse code alphabet on it and talk to them with that?

If the ayy lmaos knew about humans in the future why didn't they already know how to talk to them?

This whole movie was fucking moronic.
>>
>>79136129
Have you considered the fact that they aliums could be dicks and pretend they don't understand the humans?
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.