[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hows your script

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 22

File: Screenwriting_script1.png (229KB, 450x230px) Image search: [Google]
Screenwriting_script1.png
229KB, 450x230px
Hey all, I'm doing a project on internal conflict for my screenwriting/storytelling class, but I'm coming up blank for anything worth talking about.

What are some examples of human conflict or inner struggle that I can use to get the ball rolling?

Also screenwriting thread, hows your script going?
>>
>>79112477

My wrist is kinda fucked up so I haven't been writing as much. But I'm working out a few ideas for shorts and further developing the script for my passion project.
>>
>>79112477
I have a document I keep writing notes in whenever an idea strikes me. I'm trying to get enough ideas to coalesce fluently enough that I can begin writing a treatment. It's gonna be about dudes and dudettes entering their early 20s, dealing with the fact that less people are settling down early, having less kids and why they choose to do so, as well as contrasting these vibes with the people who DO decide to have children. I've got a storyboard somewhere around here for the first scene, in fact.
>>
>>79112477

thought of one earlier

my uncle being an ex vet and not really having much of a full time job earlier. simple, sedentary lifestyle but he'll buy a car, clean it up and sell occasionally.

throw a wrench into that. buys a car, finds blood or a body part. turns out to be that of a family member or someone close, who was into some shady shit. internal conflict between resorting to violent impulses to find the guy or reporting to inept police force. take it from there.
>>
>>79112510
you don't write on the PC? I know its quicker to grab a pen but when the ideas come at least typing is an option.

or maybe those speech to text programs.
>>
came up with a tv script a few months back with a friend. pretty much have an arc and characters outlined.

still need to find some direction. character progression and plot resolving is fucking hard.
>>
>>79112625

sounds like a good idea anon
>>
>>79112676

Yeah I type, but when I work on my shit, I do it for hours. It's more bothersome with my fucked up wrist.
>>
>>79112636
so his conflict is to either let the law handle it or take it into his own hands.

>>79112625
conflict of what it means to have a family in modern times as opposed to a career first.

good ideas.

I should have mentioned that my project is about a guy just talking to himself and the struggle comes from that.
might be difficult to adapt these to an inner monologue. but they are good ideas.
>>
>>79112967

yeah i meant vet as in vietnam veteran. make him a former sniper or some shit. i'd imagine you could come up with something more unique. maybe some horrific backstory from the war that made him become more peaceful. there's probably something better though.
>>
>>79112711
Not a lot of drama, but drama is one of the principles of entertainment like this. I dare not talk about it too much, lest I lose my nerve.

>>79112967
Sounds like some real stream of consciousness stuff.

>>79112712
Post it, man.

>>79113154
Perhaps you keep what he did that made him so peaceful a mystery until the film's climax where he confronts the antagonist.
>>
>>79113437
>real stream of consciousness stuff.
yeah thats what I meant to say. the project is about how he has this internal struggle just with his thoughts and then how he comes to resolve it in the end.
>>
>>79113437

i like it bro. i'm sure you can come up with something more original to flesh it out. the sniper thing might be too on the nose but it could still be related somehow.
>>
guess I'll come back to see if the thread is still up.
>>
>>79112477
What do you mean? Can you be more specific about what conflict you're looking for?
>>
I swear dialogue is the worst thing to write!
especially if most of your story is told through exposition.

dialogue separates the good writers from the great writers.
>>
>tfw I've got some ideas I think would be interested
>tfw I have literal zero knowledge on how to format it so someone could take it seriously

Any good tutorials for this? Just want to learn how to write a proper script
>>
>>79113960
Make it original rather than "realistic." Good actors will make it sound good even if it's shit.
>>
>>79113975

interested too if anyone can help
>>
>>79113934

like a person having to make a decision about something and he weighs out the pros and cons of each decision. he's struggling to make the right decision in his head.

eventually he comes up with an agreement with himself and a resolution at the end.

Its supposed to be as relatable to the audience as possible. the teacher said something about the human condition but I didn't know what he meant.
>>
>>79113975
>>79114048
Read a few famous movie scripts. They are free online.
>>
>>79113975
>>79114048
search for "standard script format book"
>>
>>79114112

I've read quite a few, but just trying to emulate what you like is going to be shit. I'd rather make something terrible on my own than try to bring someone else down with me.

It's not like I'm going to copy Shane Black's little remarks he writes in for readers
>>
>>79114056
That's open and vague as shit. The most classic scene I can think of is Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

If you don't want your script to just be a character talking out loud, then you'll have to show internal conflict through properly developed external conflict. The human condition is just that we can't see the future and we can only base our decisions on what information we have. If we make a mistake, then we still have sympathy. If a character makes a conscious decision to be bad, then the audience would not have sympathy.
>>
>>79114272
What? A format is a format. What Shane Black does is style.
>Anons asked for format, you argue about originality and style
Perhaps work on reading comprehension skills before venturing into writing.
>>
>>79114331
>That's open and vague as shit
welcome to film school.
I once had to make a script based off the color blue as a theme.

>If you don't want your script to just be a character talking out loud
he does have to, at least in his mind. We have to hear his thoughts.
>>
>>79114419
How long does it have to be? So just confirming, you have to write internal monologue?
>>
>>79114468
yeah. it needs to be about 3 pages

>internal monologue
thats it. I completely forgot what it was called thanks.
>>
Do you ever feel like nothing good is ever going to happen to you?
>>
>>79114513
this is very confusing to read, but it could be interesting with the right script. maybe too many twists for a short though.
>>
>>79114568
Just internal monologue with no action or dialogue? Wtf? That's lame and boring as shit. Okay you can try,
>"Dear diary,..."
lmao
>>
It's a Comedy, about a Thief who addresses the audience several times through voiceover, at the start he toots his own trumpet about how he doesn't give a shit about who he steals from and basically how cool and stoic he is, throwing out Ayn Rand quotes at random and how one must fend for himself.

He is however unable to reconcile with his apparently random bouts of crying, regret and self loathing, in a careless episode he is caught thieveing from an elderly woman and consults an overly empathetic lawyer(who literally cries at our thieves story) to help him understand his troubles who suggests consulting his subconscious via Lucid Dreams in order to understand to real 'heart' of his troubles and gain 'insight'. Our thief does this and his subconscious (who takes several random faces) gives him nothing- he is either sleeping, laughing at the thief or quoting meaningless shit the Lawyer advises our thief to read a script he's written before bed, which is essentially a rewritten American constitution.
Just as the thief is to give up he discovers the elderly woman had dementia and so has no record of the events resulting in the trial being dropped, to the Lawyer's dismay. This of course provokes his conscious and he returns to her store and places back the items at night, but discovers a secret camera has been placed by the lawyer who is attempting to frame him now to start a new case (and make money), revealing him to be a psychopath.

Our thief is noticed by what appears to be one of his subconscious identies outside of the shop window that screams and calls the cops on him. The thief escapes and runs away as fast as he can speaking to the audience about how he is a free man for himself and doesn't care who's watching, ending with him telling the audience he doesn't need them and he's got no one to prove anything to beside himself. And his good acts, whilst unnoticed by others, he improves by.

I intend this to be a short film 15-20 minutes perhaps.
Thoughts?
>>
>>79114773
lol
well its an exercise to teach us how to write dialogue I guess.
>>
>>79114400

I think it's obvious he's asking for tutorials, anon. Like torrent/youtube links.

Just go to youtube and search for screenwriting 101 or something. You'll get enough to go on from there
>>
>>79114686
Ah fair and sorry I reported below, yeah I mean I wanted most of the comedy to come out of the lucid dream sequences where the thief is persistent on really learning about himself through these subconscious figures, but they don't budge and that was gonna be the comedy; I know it'll definitely be a weird story and maybe needs a longer length but yeah it could be confusing...
>>
>>79114871
I'm thinking instead of just escaping he can find out from his subconscious that his lawyer set him up and with help from his subconcious (which I assume is his split personalities) gets back at the lawyer in some way.
>>
>>79114850
No it's not obvious. And tutorials is a horrible way to learn format. There are many nuances and differences between different writers, studios and from the time the script was written. For example, modern screenwriting forgoes CUT TO: after every scene, or even CAPITALIZING all sounds, characters and props. The best way to learn is to read a few scripts and choose the format you want from different styles.

He was being stubborn and dense. If that's his attitude, then he might as well kys.
>>
>>79114987
Yeah, that could work although I wanted to go against the idea of getting real world help from dreams and the subsconscous identity he sees in real life was only there to demonstrate how he took the face from someone he saw in the streets, rather than if having some sort of hardboiled importance to him. And so when the same face sees him in real life it's completely indifferent and calls the police on him. I do you in the sense I should probably hint more towards the lawyers maliciousness somehow...
>>
>>79115026
>The best way to learn is to read a few scripts and choose the format you want from different styles.

this is not he best way.
you'll never understand why they script is formatted the way it is.

Just get a book on script format.
The complete guide to script formats is what I learned with. then get final draft and start writing.
>>
>>79112477
Working on my first sp:

If I were to try to show inter conflict then I would show some backstory somewhere in the first or second act. Then, whenever it was brought up in the action I would try to show the characters face.
>>
>>79115111
>>79114987
But then again if the subconscious is meant to pick up on subtle signs we aren't aware of then it could actually work that the only advise they give Ian that the lawyer is screwy, so like in the dream we could have the lawyer but he's completely the opposite of the fake overly empathetic irl one, which rings alarm bells. Yeah thanks anon I like this idea
>>
>>79115246
I think this is the hardest part of the project. I I can't write a backstory yet it has to be relatable to the audience.

I can create a backstory for the character but it would be difficult to incorporate it in the short monologue.
>>
is a robot contemplating what it means to be human, too cliche?
>>
>>79115521
it is quite cliche
>>
>>79115114
Nigger what? Please elaborate. You don't need a book to learn screen format. Google a few articles and read a few scripts and you're ready. In fact, I can teach you like 90% here. (Use software for proper spacing, doing 99% of formatting for you)

>Slugline - (beginning of each scene), INTERIOR or EXTERIOR, then LOCATION, then time (day or night, sometimes more specific like evening or morning, or fags can use "8:45 AM")
Example:
INT. RESTAURANT - NIGHT
INT./EXT. CAR - DAY - MOVING

>Action. This is the body. In general, CAP character name first introduced, sound effects, important props (for the prop master). Don't over do it. Write in present tense!
Example:
JOHNNY walks to a school with his BACKPACK.

>Dialogue. Read a script sample you mong.
(V.O.) for when your character is not in scene or same location. (O.S.) for when in scene but not on screen.

>transitions
Don't use these any more unless for emphasis.
Example:
SMASH CUT TO:
FADE IN:
PRELAP (sound usually):

If you read a 300 page screenplay format for dummies book to learn format instead of putting your time to learn and practice writing, then please kill yourself.
>>
>>79115521
What do you want to do that wasn't done in Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner?
>>
File: frustrated-writer.jpg (110KB, 398x265px) Image search: [Google]
frustrated-writer.jpg
110KB, 398x265px
>>79115584
>>
>>79115611
I don't know.
>>
>>79115680
0/10. Back to the drawing board.
>>
>>79115521
But a robot contemplating what it's like being a human going through a gender transitioning process is not. It's current year.
>>
>>79115605
thats extremely basic
I'd rather know all there is to it so I don't come off looking like an amateur that gets his script thrown out by the studio's reader..
>>
>>79116126
You can either shape up and do, or sit there and not do.
>>
>>79116126
Lmao. Chances are you'll get it thrown out for shitty writing than a format mistake.
There's a general format, then there are variations. Why read a book about format, when you can read scripts to learn format and writing at the same time.
>being this retarded
Gl
>>
>>79116399
true.

>>79116540
>>being this retarded
no need to be an asshole about it. while its true your writing style is more important knowledge of format and why you use it is also important if you want to be taken seriously.

but honestly I doubt anyone here is at that level yet.
>>
>>79112967
If he talks to himself the conflict can come from him not taking his own advice.
>>
File: amazon storywriter.jpg (35KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
amazon storywriter.jpg
35KB, 700x500px
>>79112477
>Amazon has a free scriptwriting program, and a studio where you can submit your script, and if they like it, they'll pay you to let them turn it into a film or television series

I really have no excuse.
>>
>>79116540
>hurrr im so fucking smart im instantly a master at anything i do, why would i ever need to consult the ideas of other people with script-writing experience XD
>>79116126
keep doing what you're doing
>>
>>79116658
You're being fucking dense. Do what you please. Format is the least of your worries.
>>
>>79116782
but does it actually pay
>>
>>79116824
eternal dunce
>>
>>79116720
>conflict can come from him not taking his own advice
interesting. that could be the reason why he is struggling with himself. his self doubt and not taking risks.

thanks anon.
>>
>>79112477
I prefer reading scripts, plays, and screenplays to actual novels because I have very poor visual imagination and can't handle too much detail. I don't get why closet screenplays are so niche and rare. It'd be nice if there were more easy reading books for people my age and I didn't have to go into the young adult's section and look for something that isn't John Green-esque teenage romance.
>>
>>79116800
>reading a book to learn screenwriting format
>instead of going to film school
>instead of going to films
Ayy Lmao
>>
>>79116834
According to Wikipedia:

>Amazon has 45 days to choose a submitted script. If a project is chosen for development, the writer receives $10,000.[4] If a developed script is selected for distribution as a full-budget movie, the creator gets $200,000; if it is selected for distribution as a full-budget series, the creator gets $55,000 as well as "up to 5 percent of Amazon’s net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing, and other royalties and bonuses." [6]
>>
>>79116904
>spend 3 hours reading a book that might have a few decent tips and a handful of great ones

oh shit, he could've spent that time arguing with you on /tv/, you're right
>>
>>79116974
t. Author of Screenwriting for Dummies
>>
>>79116824
I rather take the time to learn how it really is than take advice from some anon who just reads other peoples finished scripts (which are more like transcript than a working script) front eh internet.
>>
>>79116946
this is a better deal than the studios. 200K for a feature seems very generous for a first timer.
>>
>>79116996
mad cause you blew a jackson on a bad one?
>>
>>79117016
>transcripts
Simplyscripts dot com
Imsdb dot com
Are you guys computer illiterate? Ever heard of google?
Please with your great format wisdom, write me a short scene of phone conversation between 3 or more characters in different locations using proper format (4chan spacing is fine).
>>
>>79117121
>write me a short scene
no

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. and if screenwriters hadyour fucking attitude its a wonder anything gets written at all.
>>
>>79117307
>no
Why not? Chicken. Let see how efficient you are at using format.

>reading scripts and screenwriting articles to learn format instead of reading a thick book is the wrong attitude?
Stop trolling nigger.
>>
>>79117541
3 internet articles =/= 300+ page book
>just pretending to be retarded

Do you watch films? Or is that too intellectually too dishonest for you? Do you purely read filmmaking books?
>>
>>79117594
>this whole argument
>>
>>79117644
Please go back to >>>/r/eddit to circlejerk over a screenwriting reading list and where you belong.
>>
>>79117706
>screenwriting reading list
you mean like your articles

oh, but don't read too many, that'd be getting close to having read a novella. i'm sure you haven't done something like that. i'm sure you've only read less than 5 articles in your whole life, that's why you recommended it
>>
>>79117426
the point is just reading scripts will not help you understand how to write scripts.

reading a book on format will help you understand what you're reading. you yourself even said >Google a few articles
which is essentially reading a book on formatting.
you act like you'll just know how to do shit through osmosis, which is not the case.
>>
>deleting posts
seriously?
>>
>>79117813
>>79117817
I said articles >>79115605
since the beginning. If you two had any semblance of reading comprehension, you wouldn't have chimped out like two dumb niggers.

Fuck off back to /r/eddit.
>>
>>79117426
>creenwriting articles
recommend some articles that will help me understand format please.
>>
>>79117941
it just took me awhile to realize how your argument was full of holes
>>
>>79117951
https://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/
2 seconds in google, first link. If you can't do that, just jump off a bridge with a screenwriting book.
>>
>>79117941
you're the one that chimped out for us having the audacity to read a book specifically about formatting instead of some article that only touches on the subject.

Hey this is a brilliant idea, I can do both read articles AND read books on formatting. hen read scripts and see different styles of formatting becasue now I'll know the difference between standard and stylization.

but that seems like too much work for you.
>>
>>79117993
>>79118057
You two act like everyone is dumb as you. I gave two good easy options. Read some scripts. And read some free articles online. Both are sufficient for learning the format. Just admit you have 80 nigger IQ and it took you a whole fucking book to learn something as basic as format.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (70KB, 923x259px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
70KB, 923x259px
>>79118026
thanks reddit
>>
>>79118026
>>79118110
>you have 80 nigger IQ

says the idiot that cant read a "thick book".

that site you recommend had some good information but even they gave you recommendations on books to read becasue there is way more information to be had for a screenwriter to learn.

if all you want to do is have basic knowledge and hope that gets you by, then good for you.
some people want to learn more than the basics.
>>
>>79118224
Ask me a question then. What complex format don't you understand? Since you refused to show me what you learned from your comprehensive book.

I said knowing the format is basic to screenwriting, not learning the basics if screenwriting. Holy shit, work on your rading comprehension.
>reading a whole book
>not reading a short article with all that shit condensed
>>
>>79118337
I'm in school learning all of this. and I have books on the subject already. I'll learn it when I get to it.

honeslty I wouldn't know what to ask you anyway. and I'd have to weed out all of your bitchy attitude.

>reading a short article with all that shit condensed
while its nice to have things in a condensed format , I like having as much information on a subject as possible. so taking the long way is preferable to me.
the basics of screenwriting are only few pages in my book, and there's way more to learn. Also there are difference when you're writing for tv than film. so , there's a lot of stuff to learn that articles can only touch on.
>>
>>79118524
Nigger why did you pretend to know more when you are just starting?
>complete newb
>give advice on how to learn
>give experienced person advice
YOU have an attitude problem. Not me. Good luck kid. Next time don't be this retarded.
>>
>>79115026
>No it's not obvious. And tutorials is a horrible way to learn format.

>He was being stubborn and dense. If that's his attitude, then he might as well kys.

>>79118882
the above was literally you before I even came into the discussion. you don't even realize it but maybe you've been on 4chan too long. you picked up an edgy attitude.

and I never pretended to know more than I do. I was an advocate for learning more than just reading scripts. also you kind of contradicted yourself unless you don't count the article you posted as a tutorial.

don't knock people for trying to learn.
>>
>>79112477
not good
it's unfilmable in fact
>>
>>79119084
>it's unfilmable
its an exercise on dialogue.
>>
>>79118882
autism
>>
File: 32848.jpg (374KB, 990x742px) Image search: [Google]
32848.jpg
374KB, 990x742px
>>79112477

Been brainstorming a couple of ideas with friends for a low budget monster horror/comedy movie, my idea was to base it on that fungus that infects bugs but instead infects humans

>school camp in the woods
>local Indian warns them of evil, stoner bus driver dismisses him
>arrive and make camp, etc
>next day some of the girls/women teacher start acting all overly sexual
>female teacher tries to seduce boys
>girl students try to seduce male Teacher (fan service for /tv anons)
>every time a guy bangs one of the effected girls he goes loopy and runs into the woods, never to return
>the affected girls slowly start to loose their memory
>last unaffected boy and girl follow affected boy into woods
>bus driver goes back into town
>Indian tells him local legend of evil spirit that returns every century resulting in all the men of the tribe disappearing and all the women becoming pregnant.
>last boy and girl find monster fungus in woods using spores to make females horny and infect males through sex
>yadda yadda yadda bus driver saves them, twist is last girl starts rubbing boys leg on way home suggesting she too is infected
>>
>>79119127
this is actually pretty good.

thought it was going to be cliche at first but the sex thing was a nice twist on the spore/zombie thing.

though it almost sounds like a softcore skinemax direct to video thing.

not that that's a bad thing. I would definitely watch it.
>>
>>79119242
In case it wasn't obvious the sex thing is because the fungus needs the humans to reproduce so it doesn't exhaust it's food supply and I like sex scenes with 16yo actors.
>>
>>79119046
>stop being mean
>>>/r/eddit pls
Just fuck off and read your book. Regurgitate whatever lies your instructors tell you to keep buying their books and pay for their classes.
>>79119100
Great argument.
>>
>>79119345
no I understood it.

>and I like sex scenes with 16yo actors.
as do we all.

just get parental permission (if you live in the states) in writing so you aren't producing "cp".
>>
File: 0005-1484358789920.png (167KB, 272x319px) Image search: [Google]
0005-1484358789920.png
167KB, 272x319px
>>79119465
>Regurgitate whatever lies your instructors tell you to keep buying their books and pay for their classes
this delusion.

see you at sundance
>>
>>79114774
Sounds like the first season of The Sopranos but way more convoluted and with a heroic psyche that makes less sense.
>>
>>79119523
>can't stand 4chinz banter
>can't even write a short scene
>reads FULL books on basic format and still doesn't fucking know it
>film school freshman
>no original ideas, just repeats what film school hacks teaches about reading books on format
JUST
>>
a character study set within the framework of a detective story/context, kind of like true detective.

After returning from a leave of absence due to injury, our protagonist finds himself displaced; most of the people he knew on the force have left, there's a new chief, and he even gets kicked out of his apartment.
So he gets partnered up with a young guy, Colten, affable, has a passion for his job that has by contrast eroded in Alex.
They get tasked with a Jane Doe ID case, i.e. there's a body, they need to identify it by asking around, cross checking missing persons etc. The killer has already been caught, so everything seems straightforward, usually these cases don't take long.
However as the story unfolds, stranger and stranger things start happening; they think they find the identity of this Jane Doe, but there's all sort of contradictions.
Still working on the ending, but yeah, basically using this search for an identity as a parallel, as our protagonist is vicariously sort of searching for himself. kind of surreal.
definitely more atmospheric and poetic than dramatic, because my synopsis probably doesn't seem very substantial
>>
>>79119790
you don't explain too much about the twist but the theme sounds interesting .
>>
Script's going bad. Have seven solid ideas and outlines but they're all part of a shared universe and my inner voice says figure out which format you'd prefer each of them in particular to exist as. Having more satisfaction writing movies in music than music in movies.
>>
>>79116946
Sounds like a pretty decent deal
>>
>>79115404
>I can create a backstory for the character but it would be difficult to incorporate it in the short monologue.

It only takes a sentence of dialog. But, you have to think about that utterance for a while. And, sometimes, you have to rework, rework, rework.
>>
>>79112477
Fear of the future and the unknown, will I ever make it, will I ever get married, will life suck forever?, How do I get to pursue my dreams IDK how to even get started on them
>>
>>79116126
no,no ,no, go "basic" if you're writing a spec script. You only need to know how to format your slugs (slug lines), your action, and your dialog
>>
>>79116824
format has a history. It is best to not disregard it.
>>
File: 1478799501002.png (75KB, 1248x956px) Image search: [Google]
1478799501002.png
75KB, 1248x956px
>>79118057
this guy knows what's up
>>
>>79122251
it has to be written on a typewritter

or at the very least use stylized font
>>
>>79122517
no. there are a bunch of books that will teach you that format and there are a bunch more screenwriting sofware apps that will do all that slightly heavy lifting for you.
>>
>>79122668
>bunch of books
>software does it all anyway

ok, anon
>>
ITT: poor fags who don't have Final Draft or equivalent and have to read books to learn format. Should have read literature instead.
>>
>>79121499
I might give it a shot. I probably wouldn't have any say in the director though. If they gave my script to some shaky cam, self-consciously "indie" director rather than someone with a more subtle Woody Allen style, I'd probably kill myself.
>>
>>79113975
I'll teach you, bruh
>>
>>79112477
Nice thread, friendos.
What's the consensus on writing a script tailored to a specific actor?
Theoretically, if I write a really good script, how can I make sure said actor hears about it somehow (thru agents, studio whatever)?

Also, holy fuck, just rewatched The Nice Guys yesterday, and it must have had the best script I've seen in years.
>>
>>79112477
A pedophile's daily struggle to get through life.
>>
>>79122835
>look this up
>it's actually real and people are paying $250+ for a literal text editor
>>
>>79123978
dude I need typewriter font
I don't have all day to fuck with my computer or figure out millions of settings in general-purpose text editor

how does it feels to be poor?
>>
>>79124105
Just use this.
https://storywriter.amazon.com/
>>
>>79124105
Courier New
>>
File: landing_formatting.gif (243KB, 551x313px) Image search: [Google]
landing_formatting.gif
243KB, 551x313px
>>79124132
>https://storywriter.amazon.com/
forgot pic
>>
>>79124160
>mucking around app settings instead of doing actual work
go back to >>>/g/ autismo
>>
>>79124160
>download font (probably illegal)
>install it on your system (probably breaks it)
>find a way for your editor to use this (probably can't)

I'm sure you can justify this somehow, but fuck that shit. Stay poor.
>>
how much research do you guys do when writing a period piece?
do you seriously get into how life must have been living in that time, or do you just 'wing it', and base it on other movies?
>>
>>79124239
So I'm new to this thing. Why are some passages capitalized?
>>
>>79123978
t. Amateur
>>
>>79124528
I suppose it would depend on how deep you get into the politics and general idiosyncrasies of the period you're adapting.
>>
post some shit and get some feedback. Also some people that can help with production in here

https://join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M
>>
>>79112477
What's the best place to get actual, constructive critism on your screenplay?
>>
>>79114774

its good, but its a bit heavy

you might add a goofy qt gf romance part to lighten it up
>>
File: images-24.jpg (35KB, 460x319px) Image search: [Google]
images-24.jpg
35KB, 460x319px
>>79112477
Pretty great, thanks. I fleshed out my antagonist a lot and did some great work on the scene where the protag gets brutally raped by a troll.
>>
>>79112477

Awful. I have yet to get past outlining anything because I lose faith in my abilities very quick. Hope to break that with my latest idea, but it'll probably end up the same as the rest.
>>
>>79127840
Share your idea, senpai
>>
>>79119588
Ah right what would your suggestion be?
>>79127688
Yeah that's true, I think I want it to be more of a black comedy with a train spotting-esque voice over which could possibly lighten the tone
>>
>>79128483

An ex-neo nazi who's views have changed since getting out of prison starts being blamed for serial killings against young black women in his kind of small town. There's no evidence so he's not held in custody, but the townsfolk harass him and such. So he has to find the killer to clear his name. Theres also a detective that doesn't believe he's guilty, as opposed to police who think he is.

That's a really basic idea of what it is.

I have plenty of scene and dialogue ideas in my head, so I feel a bit better about this idea compared to some of the others.
>>
>>79127207
>>79127540

Friends from the business. Feedback groups, art college groups. Research groups, producers usually do well with giving notes but don't show up expecting them to just be your sounding board.

Basically anywhere as long as it isn't with friends or family because they won't be honest. Also people who have no interest in it or understanding will usually just say something along the lines of "I like it"

But to keep it easy try online groups. We just started doing feedback calls again to help each other out on the Skype.
>>
Finished my first screenplay recently and have been storyboarding this last week. Plan on shooting the first scene this coming weekend. Most progress I've ever made on any of my ideas so it feels good man.
>>
>>79113975
This series was quite useful for me anon.

https://youtu.be/sWbZZdmSCD8?list=PLZwEw424xkjwuuTjFrmMwOYHipDZLxvlh
>>
>>79128776
I think it sounds cool. Which country is it set in? Nowadays or in the past?
Just avoid being preachy, because no one wants to see another, 'HEY, NEO-NAZIS ARE BAD, KIDS!' movie nowadays. Concentrate on the public 'shaming' side of it (like the Mikkelsen movie The Hunt, but with nazis instead of pedophiles). If it's set in <current year>, you can also factor in online harrassment.
>>
It's about a woman who leaves an abusive relationship and takes up therapy with a psychoanalyst. Initially all goes well, she feels lively, but as the sessions go on she is put in an increasingly emotionally distressful position, the psychoanalyst brings up (possibly fake) memories of incestual abuse by the woman's brother. The psychoanalyst also starts subtely blackmailing her and forcing her to attend group sessions, which are so abusive that she starts halicinating. I still haven't figured out the end.

I've only written a general outline of the story. Is it any good? Is it too much like The Master?
>>
>>79112477
Repostin' my idea.
La La Land made me think how cool a classic-style screwball comedy (It Happened One Night, Some Like It Hot, One, Two, Three etc.) with Emma and Gosling as leads would be, with some added elements of newer, Coen-style screwballs (Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy). They've got phenomenal comedic rapport, and a kind of 'timeless' aura like the stars of Old Hollywood.
They would play Lois Lane and Clark Kent expies, with Emma as an aggressive, career-minded, strongheaded reporter (who is also a trained hypnotist), and Ryan as a timid, bumbling ornithologist photographer in glasses (except he is no Superman without glasses). They are investigating a dadaist-anarchist performance terror group in a romanticized version of the 68' May Paris riots (with subtle criticism of today's protests).
Lots of fast-paced repartee and slapstick.
Stuck on researching that era and creating believable and funny dadaist groups.
>>
bunmmp
>>
File: tmp_26751-1479947305050175293668.jpg (664KB, 1991x3000px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26751-1479947305050175293668.jpg
664KB, 1991x3000px
>>79130151
Does nobody have anything to say about my story?
>>
>>79131895
>>79130151
I think it's too grimdark. Abusive relationship, abusive psychoanalyst, incest, blackmail, abusive group sessions, hallucinations? It's just too much.
Why not concentrate on some of those elements? How about a movie like The Secretary? The woman is really sexy, and the analyst makes her constantly relive her past abuses (instead of forgetting them), because he is aroused by them. She slowly starts to realise what's happening, but can't let go.
Just throwing out some ideas, senpai.
>>
Bumperino
>>
File: 1486300075061.jpg (604KB, 2400x3600px) Image search: [Google]
1486300075061.jpg
604KB, 2400x3600px
>>79132173
>Abusive relationship, abusive psychoanalyst, incest, blackmail, abusive group sessions, hallucinations?

I was thinking the same thing, but it's better to write a lot and then edit things away than the other way around. But it is difficult to make the plot go forward without them.

I just feel like I've hit a pretty decent concept but I don't know how to end it. I don't want to make it so that it all ends magically well for everyone, but I don't want to make it completely depressing either. I think I should build some kind of suspence or struggle, until either one gets killed or imprisoned, preferably something like the psychoanalyst having brainwashed several powerful people.
>>
Last script I worked on was about a young smuggler and his alien friend. They had to deal both with an evil intergalactic empire and random space criminals. Had fun writing it. The producers can be a pain in the neck though.
>>
File: 1486298240591.jpg (2MB, 3277x4096px) Image search: [Google]
1486298240591.jpg
2MB, 3277x4096px
>>79134939
>he producers can be a pain in the neck thou
what did they do? did your script get accepted?
>>
>>79135121
Yeah, after like seven drafts and a dozen rewrites.
>>
File: 1486242048700.jpg (517KB, 1238x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1486242048700.jpg
517KB, 1238x1500px
>>79135261
How did you get your script accepted by a studio? Do you have connections or previous experience?
>>
>>79135358
Yeah I got two TV shows and two movies under my belt. Nothing big though.
>>
File: 1486284607246.jpg (447KB, 1280x1725px) Image search: [Google]
1486284607246.jpg
447KB, 1280x1725px
>>79135606
Which ones? How did you get your first gig?
>>
>>79135778
I won't give you the titles 'cause I'm here to be anonymous, but I will answer your question. I got my first gig by simply sending out movie treatments to film studios. Turns out they actually read the shit people send them. I sold one or two ideas, then they asked me to work with an experienced screenwriter to learn a few tricks, then they let me write my own stuff.
>>
>>79112477

Theme's you'll usually see with internal conflict are stuff like Identity, justice or the law, fate, desire, crime, death. Ignorance versus bliss. your purpose or place. Old versus young. materialism

What usually helps is when you have a theme or subject you can search for words in the opposite and find an arc.

Also I have some time tonight so I'll be able to read some stuff to feedback on. Ill be in this Skype:
>>
File: 1486273699677.jpg (54KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
1486273699677.jpg
54KB, 640x468px
>>79136698
Pls join the skype group senpai
>>
>>79112477
bump
>>
File: 1486281401577.jpg (501KB, 1324x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1486281401577.jpg
501KB, 1324x1800px
>>79139188
Bumping with kstew
>>
>>79130110

Haven't decided on country yet, so for now it's just in the US. I'm thinking like early-mid 2000s? Yeah it's not gonna be "This guy was evil now he's good yay" it's gonna be about struggling to escape his past and stop being harassed (like, actual harm, he's gonna get attacked by 3 guys at some point and try to fight them off without seriously hurting them for one example). I'm hoping to make it far from preachy, because the idea I hope to put forward is not that Nazis are bad (wow who would think that) but the persecution of a reformed man is torture. But yeah, the main focus is him having to find the guy. Another reason he has to find him I didn't mention is that in prison, one of the people who helped him change his views was a black guy, they became good friends blah blah, and then like the third victim is the black guys sister (he knows because she visited him often) so he's avenging that too.
>>
BIG BLACK BUMP
>>
>>79112477
Thinking about writing a horror romance.

Basically a guys GF's family are like succubi, but they brainwash whoever they sleep with. The guy would find out about it pretty early on and try to stay away from his GF, but he is always being pulled back by her. She would want him with her.
It'd probably end with the entire town being brainwashed, and the guy gives into his GF's wants so they can be together, (not being brainwashed).

It'd only work under a pretty surreal tone, and it couldn't be too serious. Almost Coen-like mixed with more surreal feelings.
>>
>>79142013
I'd just it just a tiny comedic twist.
>>
>>79112477
I'm about 97% there. I keep going back and forth between a few different endings. I see the pros and cons of each, but the important thing is that they all have cons and so I hope to imagine an ending that satisfies me.
>>
>>79124757
this is the reason why its better to learn format before you read scripts and get software.
>>
>>79129431
good work anon. you're on your way.
>>
File: tmp_4109-1480432932012-279813192.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4109-1480432932012-279813192.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>79144350
Superb owl bump
>>
>>79134505
I think a good angle would be to accentuate the fake memories plot.

Seeing how she deals with this, the whole questioning, would be very interesting. Challenging to write though.
>>
>>79124757
To draw readers attention to them.
Mainly new/important characters for the directors or new/important props for prop master.

But you should read 14 books to understand that.
>>
fuck off sony
>>
>>79128776
That sounds pretty good, man. If you ever someday get it off the ground, I think Ben Foster would be great as the lead. Good luck.
>>
>work on prologue for an entire week
>done
>realize its SHIT and is 60 pages long
S H I T
>>
>>79146288

Thanks, appreciate it dude
>>
>>79146400
I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to make it long enough. my first act is like 8 pages
>>
>>79146400
Why do you say it is shit?
>>
Gonna start filming this summer my first written script, already got financial support, camera rental, etc. As well as started a production company.
>>
>>79130151
>>79134505
Perhaps you could have the brother visit, and through his behavior she believes he couldn't possibly have done such a thing?
>>
Working on my first feature.
Its a tiny bit too short and i feel like beginning is a bit lacking, but i feel it will be a fun movie.

I dont know should i cut a scene or two and make some sequences longer or what.
>>
just fuck film production general huh
this is what we doing now? y'all ain't got no fucking links.
>>
File: 1486323084029.webm (3MB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486323084029.webm
3MB, 1000x800px
>>79148127
Join the skype group
>>
File: sad leo.gif (485KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
sad leo.gif
485KB, 245x200px
>tfw wrote a15-page script i was really happy with that was best work
>tfw didn't have the time needed and couldn't find actors who would commit considering the subject material (spousal abuse, sexual aggression, drug abuse etc)

>tfw gave up on it and wrote 2 shorter scripts
>tfw can't make the 2nd one as I've now run out of time and need to dedicate any remaining time to finishing post on the 1st one

the 2nd one was really cool... it was about pirates...
i can't wait to finish uni
hopefully the first one turns out well
>>
>>79148303
fuck your skype group you pedophile piece of shit
>>
File: suicide note wilfred.png (345KB, 498x568px) Image search: [Google]
suicide note wilfred.png
345KB, 498x568px
>>79112477
>upload script to Black List after 9 months of work, good reviews from contests
>First eval is a 6
>Second eval is a 5

I'm fucking crushed, bros. How do you deal with rejection?
>>
>>79149210
Don't ask questions you already know the answer to.
Get back on that horse
>>
>>79149258
What if you don't know where to begin? Or how?
>>
>>79148303
Who do I add?
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.