[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sansho The Bailiff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 386_box_348x490_original.jpg (63KB, 348x490px) Image search: [Google]
386_box_348x490_original.jpg
63KB, 348x490px
Dear lord... who else was lift a sniveling mess by the end of this?
>>
>>79051494
It's devastating. One of the finest films ever made.
>>
I love the final shot, where the camera pans away from the reunion almost as if it's too much for even the objective point of view to bear.

Scorcese used the same technique for the scene in Taxi Driver where Travis tries to call Betsy back after that disastrous date. It's just so awkward and pitiful that the camera just pans away.
>>
>>79051534
It's rare for me to cry at films these days and consider myself desensitized to most things, but I was a leaking faucet throughout this movie.
>>
Turned it off after a while. Japanese overacting ruined any chance of immersion for me
>>
Apparently I saw a different film...I did make the mistake of watching it after Rashomon.....but, no, I was not left in tears. Nothing in this one struck me, sadly.
>>
>>79051789
Pleb filter status:
[x] filtered
[ ] not filtered
>>
>>79051838
Rashomon is another excellent film. Of the two though I was definitely more moved by Sansho. Not meant as a slight to Rashomon in the slightest because it was also very engrossing.
>>
>>79051937
Try these if you liked Sansho:
Pigs and Battleships
Pale Flower
The Human Condition Trilogy
Life of Oharu
>>
>>79051854
Erm, why don't you discuss the film and how it works instead of picking an internet fight with a random anon?
>>
>>79051980
I've seen all of those except Pale Flower and it's been on my list for a while. Love Japanese New Wave. Thank you for the recommendations, punk ; )
>>
>>79051990
It's just bantz, calm down anon
>>
>>79051937
Sansho, i dunno: it felt too artificial. (I know, saying that while praising Rashomon is a bit crazy.) I felt Rashomon cut right through to the very heart of the human condition. Sansho felt like melodrama in comparison. And please understand: I am not disparaging Sansho per se. It just didn't hit any chords with me.
With Rashomon, I was thunderstruck.
>>
>>79052081
Now now: you don't play with memes if you're here to discuss nicely. So keep the 'plebs' and the 'autism' off the thread, eh?
>>
File: 1485418042006m.jpg (139KB, 1024x948px) Image search: [Google]
1485418042006m.jpg
139KB, 1024x948px
I watched it with my mom.
>>
File: scenesfromamarriage.jpg (28KB, 230x130px) Image search: [Google]
scenesfromamarriage.jpg
28KB, 230x130px
>>79052208
I'm also >>79051980
So I'm doing my best to give a mix of content and memes.
>>
>>79052147
I wouldn't disagree with your classification of Sansho as a melodrama. It is definitely operating on a heightened level of reality. Normally this would distract me too, but it's opening text specifically introduces it to us as an old folk tale which immediately, for me anyways, gives it a more mysitc quality where scenes like the sister voluntarily drowning herself, and the brother's ascension to governor more believable. It is able to ground itself with it's themes of human endurance in the face of both apathy and suffering.

Rashomon is top fucking tier though and I can't fault anyone for liking it more. makes me want to give it a watch right now honestly lol. Been a while. C:
>>
>>79052441
Well, as I cannot for the life of me recall very much of Sansho, I will hafta watch it again, too. Glad I could inspire you to venture back along the twisting forest path, anon.,....Remember: it's the woodcutter's story.....................
>>
>>79052564
I won't tell nobodeh............................................

As for you, I hope you get more out of Sansho should you sit down to watch it again sometime. ; )
>>
>it's another "omg japanese movies are so deep and better because they are japanese" thread
>>
>>79052887
I hope I do, too, anon! It's really bugging me that it didn't stick with me - although I'm getting bits of the boat ride creeping back into my head....
>>79053055
Oh, dear! You mistake me for someone else - i don't worship foreign films; but i do respect what is good, that which has something meaningful to say. Rashomon is one of the most important stories about the human condition that we have on film.
>>
File: damnit.jpg (121KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
damnit.jpg
121KB, 780x438px
>>79051494
I had to read the Mori Ogai story first before watching the film for class. I think the story made me feel emotional more than the film, but the film is also pretty evocative as well.

interestingly, i just got back from watching Silence at the cinema and I have to read that book later in the semester
>>
>>79051494
I didn't like it very much. I should watch it again soon.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.