[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I watched the first two episodes of The Young Pope. The main

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 19

File: untitled.jpg (62KB, 644x360px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
62KB, 644x360px
I watched the first two episodes of The Young Pope. The main character was a complete piece of shit with no redeeming qualities. Why should I even think about finishing it? The show just made me feel bad.
>>
Typical pleb reaction, to hate when they do not understand.
>>
>>79050929
stick to marvel all their characters and likable and quirky.
>>
>>79052281
Was just saying the same thing in another thread, man. The only thing interesting thus far is the head of the church not believing in God.
>>
>>79052286
Explain the appeal. I'm serious, I want to know what you find interesting about him. I'm not calling you and edge lord, but I genuinely want to better understand.
>>
>>79050929
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lux49tqeOlE

But seriously, he's a saint.
Tbh if you are willing to watch it until the end I can assure you that you will be blown away. This is not series is about pure love and faith.
>>
>>79050929
Because the general arc of unlikable characters is that they learn why they were wrong and the whole point of stories is understanding that transformation.
>>
File: 1485778443844.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1485778443844.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>79052393
>doesn't catch quote from the show
>>
>>79052364
are you fucking kidding me REEEEDDDITTT
>>
>>79052364
>not believing in God
I keep seeing this and it needs to stop. Lenny obviously believes in God it's just that he's struggling with his faith
>>
The show is thrusting you into the position of the cardinals. They've just elected a pope they don't understand, and they're terrified and bewildered by his erratic, seemingly insane behavior. As they spend more time around him and get to better know him, the show starts to humanize him a lot more.

Also, what >>79052467 said as well.
>>
>not liking based Lenny
Fuck even my SJW friends like that dude
>>
>>79050929
This show is kino.

He's not a "villain protagonist". He's the protagonist, and he's deliberately trying to appear to be a "villain" because that's what he sees his job as. The GoT/House of Cards political conflict is not the focus of the show, it's just a plot point in the early episodes as to whether he as protagonist will succeed in "breaking in" the political machine within the Vatican, which he does.

This view of him as a "villain" only gets stupider when plebs try to make the opposition to his papacy be the protagonists or "heroes". It's pretty frigging silly to make blackmailing money-grubbers and oath-breakers, and even literal child molestors be held up as the heroes just because the protagonist is a sincere right-winger who does what he says he'll do.

The biggest thing that's open to interpretation in my view is whether or not he is a "saint" being guided by God, and which of the two opposing interpretations of him, (that can be seen at the same time), are true: whether he's a sincere, devout man who's dealing with the pain of his parents' abandonment and questioning God over it, or a self-obsessed lunatic who is using that pain as an escape from his self-doubt, or possibly as a means to challenge God.
Personally I hold the former view, but it's pretty clear from the last episode that they left things open to interpretation.

TLDR: Good show, you should watch it because whether you like it or not, it has great semi-surreal comedic juxtaposition, and because it is inherently abrasive to the reddit mindset.
>>
>>79053046
making himself a mystery and making the church a mystery, closing it off from the outside world under the guise of drawing people in; I always saw as a depresed isolation while still holding out hope, almost desperately that his parents would come back.

Almost fooling himself that closing off the church would bring people in, and closing off himself would bring his parents in
>>
>>79053103
That was pretty obvious, it was commented on in the show.

Though it's not so clear-cut a case of psychoanalysis when it comes to his papal policy.
Tightening attitudes keeps out fairweather friends and draws in "fanatics", who he even says are what he wants more than popularity.
>>
>>79050929
You can't judge the show on a few episodes. at least watch up to episode 6.
>>
>>79053397
Episode 9 in my opinion is where the show could have ended.
>>
File: 1463267849120.jpg (10KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463267849120.jpg
10KB, 180x200px
>be Christian
>watched The Young Pope during the Euro airing
>tell everyone how great it is
>now it's in the US
>christbros watch the first episode and immediately assume it's just a catholic-bashing circlejerk and me being lutheran is the reason I like it
>>
You'd love Lenny if you were an actual Catholic. The Church is infested with literal Marxists and liberal nonsense. Something like 60% of American Catholics are okay with abortion. The Church becomes more and more """progressive""" with each passing year and soon the only people left will be the elderly riding out their twilight years in a dwindling congregation that wants female priests and more Christian rock played during services.
>>
>>79053470
Ep 9 was certainly the high point of the series and cemented Gutierrez as best character, but ep 10 was still top-tier. The show ended perfectly imo.
>>
>>79053474
Same, except Catholic and have to explain to other Catholics why the show is great
>>
Think of it as a 10 hour film (it sort of is since Sorrentino co-wrote and directed all of it). 2 hours is like 20 minutes of a 2 hour film. You're judging the entire character on your initial impressions, ones that are sort of designed to make you see him one way when he *spoilers* really isn't

>>79053555
>>79053474
What's odder is being an atheist and explaining to other atheists why I loved this and Silence. I can't even explain to myself why I love films about faith so much, when I have none myself and no qualms about that
>>
Does the HBO release subtitle the latin parts?
>>
>>79053617
Faith and how someone deals with it is complicated and personal, it's only natural that it makes a good story. I don't know if you've ever read The Brothers Karamazov but if you're looking for a story about faith you won't find a better one.
>>
>>79053634
That would be pretty pleb, I hope not.
>>
>>79053267
even sister mary betrays him with the fake parents, what does that mean
>>
>>79053539
I'm generally not a fan of "whoa dude, what really happened" endings.
When there are endings that don't just wrap up every possible character flaw or plot point, I prefer them to leave it clear what HAS happened, but leave it totally up in the air as to what is going to happen in future to these characters. A work that emphasises the possibility of multiple interpretations should let the information that has been revealed to the audience be the source of confusion and dispute, not leave cliff-hangers.

>>79053634
IIRC the only Latin parts are from mass and other ritual proceedings, not speech that directly or even indirectly means anything plot-crucial. The only non-English parts are Italian and a handful of snippets of Spanish.

>>79053617
I don't find it hard to understand, I find it hard to understand how apparently the "consensus" of critics dislike this show because they expected the show about the Catholic fanatic to portray him like he would be in plebbier shows like Game of Thrones or House of Cards, and how they can be so repulsed by the idea of, if not an actual "holy man", then a devout/fanatical Catholic, that they will hold up Voiello as the hero, when he's a Lannister/Underwood archetype at first and what they seemed to think Pius XIII was going to be.
>>
>>79053730
>The Brothers Karamazov
Good choice
>>
>>79053880

Are the Italian and Spanish parts important?
>>
>>79053880
>I find it hard to understand how apparently the "consensus" of critics dislike this show because they expected the show about the Catholic fanatic to portray him like he would be in plebbier shows like Game of Thrones or House of Cards

This, for whatever reason people don't understand an honest reactionary played straight, he's got to be some cynical manipulator.
>>
>>79053934
Italian, yes, especially if you want to understand Voiello, Spanish not really.

I watched it without subtitles, and though I understood the Spanish, I looked at the transcripts for context on the Italian.

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-young-pope-2016

>>79053961
It goes against their worldview that someone could be like that.
>>
>>79050929
The whole season has three arcs and should be considered as a long ass kino.

It's not a TV show. It's a film.
>>
>>79050929
Time for your snack Holy Father.
>>
>>79056590
Where's my cherry coke zero!?

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Mediocre show.
>>
>>79053521
Isn't there a growing split between trad Caths and liberal Catholics?

I've heard a lot of the former talking about how shit will eventually hit the fan with Pope Selfie
>>
>>79056861
t. Protestant
>>
>>79056886
I'd call myself a more liberal Catholic but if he was to ever support the ordination of women that would be the final straw for myself and many other Catholics.

But I never see that happening in my lifetime.
>>
>>79053617
Silence is easy for an atheist to like, considering most atheists dream of the kind of Christianity the apostates practice. Hidden away, completely unseen in public society.
>>
File: nervousness increases.jpg (275KB, 1555x737px) Image search: [Google]
nervousness increases.jpg
275KB, 1555x737px
>>79056886
>growing split
There've been splits before, it's not a question of "splits" anymore so much as people peeling off from Catholicism.
Pope Francis has been a major disappointment from a tradcath perspective, but from another perspective it's interesting to see what "third rails" and irreversible policy decisions even a hardcore liberal can't touch.

>>79056994
>ordination of women
Not trying to start a /pol/ flamewar, but what do you define yourself as "liberal" on if you don't even accept liberalism 101: "gender equality"?
>>
>>79057023
I support gender equality but the ordination of women is not that, or at least not to me.

Episcopalians can have all they want of that, it's just not the way of the Catholic Church and I feel that it is not even sexist.
>>
Why was his dream speech so drastically different?
>>
>>79057199
Because it was his nightmare, which is basically the modern Vatican/church.
>>
>>79057157
What about removing celibacy as a expectation for priests?

It's actually just a tradition so apparently a Pope through a Council could end the celibacy requirement.

Personally, I wouldn't fight to see celibacy end but at the same time I realize it's pretty awful having to choose between human instinct to reproduce/have a family and God. Especially when the Apostles all had wives and shit.
>>
>>79057311
I don't really have a source for this beyond some Canadian anon on /int/, but aren't they implicitly vetting for that now to stem the influx of homosexuals with no socially acceptable alternative?
>>
>>79057345
Not sure, I'd imagine that'd be big news if Pope Francis was planning anything like that.

It wouldn't help fag priests any though, they still can't fuck men and would still need to be married to any women they fuck.

I guess it would make the job more appealing to heterosexuals though.
>>
File: vatican pepe.png (211KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
vatican pepe.png
211KB, 499x499px
>>79057157
It is technically "sexist" though. Nothing wrong with "sexism" as in treating the sexes differently.

In a historical context, I suppose it would be fine to call yourself a "liberal [who is a] Catholic", but in most modern contexts "liberal Catholic" usually means heretic, or someone who plays dumb to raise doubt about the possibility of formally approving heresy.

Conflating "liberal" in secular politics (which was historically looked down upon and should still be IMO) with """liberal""" in adherence to the religion is a deliberate rhetorical ploy designed to guilt-trip people into equating conservation of religious order with the boogeymen liberal society indoctrinates people to fear as the only alternative to social liberalism. It's dishonest enough word games in secular politics, worse in religious.

>>79057345
>A FUCKING LEAF
Not sure what you're talking about. What are they vetting for? I can't parse this post.
>>
>>79057311
I see that also as a core part of the Priesthood, I don't see how your can devote and serve your life to God and of course your congregation if you have wife and kids.

When I was young I was of course more enamored with the Church than I am now and saw Priests above those things. It also made it feel more serious than other denominations that and the pomp and circumstance of it all and it's extremely hard to be above something like sex when we are sexual beings and only devoted to God; which is basically the definition of being pious.

I feel it would take away some of the credibility of the Catholic Church, they might as well be a different denomination.
>>
File: 1482823063812.png (633KB, 613x753px) Image search: [Google]
1482823063812.png
633KB, 613x753px
>>79057466
Well something about Pius Xlll going full Wraith of God in his actions and speech have me smiling check to check so maybe this will make me more of a Traditionalist.
>>
Young Sister Mary is so qt

that scene with her playing basketball made me feel things
>>
File: 1485967627248.jpg (60KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
1485967627248.jpg
60KB, 640x854px
>>79052579
LMAOING @ THIS POST
>>
>>79053521
Religion is stupid, the fact that because of a dogma they consider abortion to always be a bad thing shows you how truly stupid religion is.

Get your spirituality back in your own hands and don't let some faggot in robes tell you what is correct based on some interpretation of the words and acts of guy who lived more than 2000 years ago. Which is not even true because first the gospels ain't even univocal and second the church later made up theory which had no connection at all with the old and new testament.
>>
>>79052393
It's not our job to prove to you that the show is good, it's your job to prove to us that it isn't good.
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
>>79058672
>religion is stupid because it doesn't agree with my 21st century liberal secular morality

not even a christian but fuck off dude
>>
>>79058698
Never said a word about myself so I don't know where you got all that shit. Note how you haven't responded to single thing I've said.

You must be retarded.
>>
>>79058690
Not really the case. The natural order of the world is for the show to not exist. Since it was made it needs to justify itself.
>>
>>79058735
>Never said a word about myself
You told us what you think about religion, you idiot; that anon is criticising you for it.

>>79058756
Even if we "argue" with your reddit-tier faux-philosophising, you come out as an idiot.
Its existence is its own justification, particularly when its specific nature as a TV show means that it was brought into existence by the efforts and resources of hundreds of people who thought it worth making.
>>
>>79058824
Mentioning reddit is an instant disqualification. You lose the debate.
>>
>>79058871
Not being able to handle the use of a synecdoche and getting triggered over a word is the real disqualifier m8
>>
>>79050929
>The show just made me feel bad

that's god chasing your faggotry and perversion
you'll be alright
>>
>>79058824
>Even if we "argue" with your reddit-tier faux-philosophising, you come out as an idiot.
>Its existence is its own justification, particularly when its specific nature as a TV show means that it was brought into existence by the efforts and resources of hundreds of people who thought it worth making.
This would imply that no bad product of the same kind can ever be made.
>>79058824
I didn't tell you what I think about religion, I told you facts about religion. It's different.

Instead of going "but those aren't facts, they're just your opinion" please tell me how any of those aren't facts.
Tell me how can they know life is sacred? How can they know an inseminated egg is alive as a human being? Isn't the whole religion based on some unverifiable sources? Aren't the gospel not univocal? Didn't the late church make up their religious theory with no connection to the original sources?

Use your brain.
>>
>>79059018
>This would imply that no bad product of the same kind can ever be made.
Wrong. You said that the natural order of the world was one where this show would not exist, and that justification was needed for it to exist. I rejected that belief, and provided a reason for its existence to boot.
This isn't the same question as the one that was being addressed previously.

>I didn't tell you what I think about religion, I told you facts about religion. It's different.
Do you even read through your own bullshit?
You clearly made a value judgement and expressed your opinion on it.
>>
it was shit
>>
>>79057639
what is that pic?
>>
>>79059086
>that justification was needed for it to exist
Not what I said at all.

Considering all the expressed facts I would say that calling religion stupid is only natural.

Notice how you haven't responded to one single thing yet again.
>>
its funny watching /pol/ shit themselves over this show, when in the end lenny had to embrace love and all the closed off traditionalism was literally just a coping mechanism for his parents
>>
>>79059228
>>79057639
nvm shitty asmr whore for lonely losers
>>
>>79059236
I've been in enough "arguments" with people who can't keep their questions and positions straight from post to post to know not to bother. Maybe when you get out of high school you'll be able to deal with religion on a philosophical level, but shitposting is something (You) can do without us. Preferably back on reddit.
>>
>>79053046
>sincere right-winger who does what he says he'll do.

he folds on every single policy that you think is so edgy and hardcore , you're an embarrassment

the director of the young pope hates you
you do not have a place in his church
>>
>>79059290
Leave my judgement with that "stupid" aside for a moment, simply tell me if you don't think the things are listed are proven facts.
>>
>>79059262
If you're talking about faggotry, then you're reading too much into it for this baitpost.
All that Lenny agreed to was to allow Gutierrez to remain his advisor and confidante, because he trusted him and knew his status as a homosexual addled by rape as a child would make him ideal as a weapon to use the gay-pedo underculture against those who spread its influence.
He also kept him on his side from the outset of his papacy, not after some watershed moment the damage-control types are claiming.

>>79059306
>this is a fisher of men
>>
File: McGregor is not impressed.jpg (13KB, 244x257px) Image search: [Google]
McGregor is not impressed.jpg
13KB, 244x257px
>>79059377
>Leave my judgement with that "stupid" aside for a moment,
No, because that was what I took objection to, and I refuse to have strawman words put in my mouth, particularly when you don't maintain any consistency in those coming from your own.

You said "religion is stupid because [*tipping*]". >>79058672
Another anon said "fuck off dude". >>79058698
You then said, (incorrectly) that you never said anything about your own religious views, when your previous post was all about religion.>>79058735
I pointed this contradiction out >>79058824, and then your response was to double down on the incorrect assertion that you did not state what you think about religion, and started trying to reframe the discussion by shifting the focus from your pleb opinions to a deluge of contextless pre-packaged atheist rhetorical irrelevancies you only brought up for damage-control purposes, and are now trying to pass off as having been the object of contention all along. >>79059018

HEEM yourself.
>>
>>79059580
>No, because that was what I took objection to
Christ, religiousfags are so insecure.

Go hang yourself so that you can be with your god now, I've had enough of you, I'm not even going to read your post, I tried to discuss calmly but you've your head deep up your ass.
>>
>>79050929

I love americanposting, best meme of 2017
>>
File: na na na na.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
na na na na.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>79059659
>Christ, religiousfags are so insecure.
Funny considering how you got so touchy about others presuming to know what you think based on what you told them what you think, that you'll project so strongly onto religious people.

> I'm not even going to read your post, I tried to discuss calmly but you've your head deep up your ass.
I conclusively proved that you did not, and it was in fact your anus that was obstructed by your cranium.
>>
>>79059735
>dumb frogposter
I'm not reading your comments anymore, you wasted your choice.
>>
>>79059765
I think I made the right choice given how buttflustered you are.
>>
>>79059790
Thanks for the (You), feel free to give me more.
>>
File: d07.png (622KB, 680x629px) Image search: [Google]
d07.png
622KB, 680x629px
>>79059817
(You)'s are only consolation if you were only pretending to be retarded.

You're just wallowing in your patheticness at this point.
>>
Would what Lemmy is doing actually destroy the Church?
>>
>>79050929
you've been primed to hate egoists so much so that you can never learn from them and improve yourself. Imagine the ego on the (((people))) who made you believe that.
>>
>>79060170
I like the show a lot, but /tv/ trying to be "deep" about it like this is the most reddit thing I've seen in my life.
>>
DUDE CATHOLICS LMAO
>>
>>79060249
your mom is deep
>>
>>79057157
Why?
>>
>>79058672
Opposing abortion seems like a pretty reasonable thing for a religion to do, you know with the whole sanctity of life thing

Why wouldn't you pick something that's less about morality like them opposing homosexuality which really hurts no one?
>>
>>79059659
I'm not even religious and I think abortion is wrong
I'm not going to make it illegal, I'm pro choice, but it's something I would never want to happen to my child and I would oppose someone wanting to abort my child regardless of circumstances
>>
>>79060694
>all religious believe human life is sacred. But only human life, hehe ;)
>>79060803
>only religiousfags can be stupid
I don't like abortion either per se. I don't use any dogma to hide behind, though.
>>
why the fuck did the protagonist have to be this HAHA FUNNY SARCASTIC FAGGOT? couldn't there be just one show with a super serious no-smiles protagonist?
his character was just so fucking retarded with the constant out of place awful jokes for no reason, and whilst i'd like to say that the plot is too deep for the likes of you but perfectly intelligible for intellectuals such as myself the plot wasn't deep it was pointless
i didn't like this show all that much, it wasn't worth watching at all, sure some of the things he says and does makes me think the character is smart, just what i want, but then he does something retarded and i lose all sense of respect for him and the writers, there are several completely out of place scenes just for the FUNNIES, why did they need to be there?
not to mention that they just make him "smart" and "knows everything" without proving that he's actually smart without displaying how he gathers whatever information he pertains

maybe i'm just a fucking faggot myself for not wanting to witness him dealing with his inner turmoil about his parents, but what sort of plebeian plot is that? inner turmoil is for wusses
>>
>>79060883
have you ever considered that some people agree with their religion and that's why they follow it?

People within a religion can still read into their beliefs, I'm a strict vegan and I think this brings me closer to what god wants
>>
>>79061051
God gave us dominion over animals, dumbo.
>>
>>79061051
>have you ever considered that some people agree with their religion and that's why they follow it?
That's a stupid behaviour symptom of not having a will.
>People within a religion can still read into their beliefs
No, you can't. Certainly not if you're catholic. It's called heresy.
>>
>>79060022
Maybe the way he's going about it.
But going back to tradition is going to be the answer eventually. Traditionalist churches are the only ones that are growing and have young families in love with the faith.
>>
>>79059228
plebeian asmr hag
>>
>the main character was a complete piece of shit with no redeeming qualities

I love when people fault works of fiction for realism.
>>
>>79060249
Reddit seems to be trash-talking this show, saying that it's NOT deep.

>>79060918
It's a bit jarring sometimes, but Jude Law makes it work.
I accept it as part of the show not being about hyper-realism; the characters do things and think things in ways that aren't exactly "true" to life, but are designed to be evocative more than in a "descriptive" portrayal.

In that context, the quippiness and sarcasm make sense as a "flighty" way to portray the character as incredibly smart but incredibly abrasive.
The early episodes especially make him come across as perhaps the greatest autismo to ever be put on screen, though as the show winds on the emphasis on his weirdness is on him as a "misunderstood artistic soul".

K I N O
>>
>>79052307
This. OP is too pleb to understand how a tv series is supposed to work
>>
>>79059306
>getting this triggered

He doesn't fold on too much actually. So far
>>
>>79060022
The Church is already destroyed. Christian Europe is being invaded and the only thing that the Pope does is kiss the feet of migrants. Lenny would be a step in the right direction, though.
>>
>>79052364
> Lenny
> Not believe in God
You have to listen. He's believing in God because he's doubting Him. You can't doubt if you don't believe.

He wants to show God how his faith is perfect and how God failed him despite that. God failed him (because of his parents) so sometimes Lenny thinks He failed because He doesn't exist, sometimes he thinks He failed him because his faith wasn't strongh enough (meaning Lenny believes in God)

That's the story of most deeply religious people. They just don't get to be Pope most of the time.

Also is show is extremely esthetic and that's why we love it. For the italian parts, get subs.
>>
>>79062949
>I don't know anything about the history of the Chatolic church: the post
The more they get attacked, the more the get strong, as any other cult.
Indifference and the progression of society will kill them.
>>
File: travolta.gif (870KB, 320x258px) Image search: [Google]
travolta.gif
870KB, 320x258px
>>79063028
>Indifference and the progression of society will kill them.
This is a modern conceit. The church has always been attacked by those who want it destroyed. All it is nowadays is a siege action rather than bloody upheavals and onslaughts.

Plus the idea of religions becoming weak from indifference and the so-called "progression" of society is rather laughable when Islam is resurgent and this "progression" necessitates and revels in the weakening of the supposed replacement for "cults".

Co-option and collaboration is the real killer.
>>
>>79062949
>and the only thing that the Pope does is kiss the feet of migrants

not even the second pope to do that
>>
Ben Shapiro on why the Young Pope is an insult to believers of God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=567ShunCZfU&t=1m35s
>>
>>79050929
It's a humanist/existential show that just happens to be in the vatican. The point of the show is the "growth" of the "young" pope
>>
File: lenny.jpg (60KB, 1200x1081px) Image search: [Google]
lenny.jpg
60KB, 1200x1081px
>>79063175
I don't take this stereotypical American badger seriously anymore.
>>
>>79050929
>Why should I even think about finishing it?

you shouldn't. It's shit, just like everything else /tv/ likes
>>
>>79053046
you're a literal retard
>>
>>79063237
Thank (You).
>>
>>79063115
Western society has been declining for a century now, friend, never said it's an actual on-going process, I was only speaking idealistically.

Meanwhile islamic countries haven't had real societies for a few centuries, if they ever had one.

Think about what happened to science and faith in Childhood's End.
>>
>>79060022
Let's be serious on that subject (even if it's not).

Lenny has a radical opinion on the Church and its rules: He choose to actually believe in it.

It should be obvious but since Jean Paul II, we clearly realise a Head of the Catholic Church is forced to ignore large part of the Dogma to be credible in this day and age. Like people can't say every part of the Bible is literally true if they want to be taken seriously. Lenny is some kind of creationists of the Dogma (but less stupid).

Lenny thinks a Church who bows down to the social realities is useless and doesn't help anyone. He wants a "hard" Church, Faith should be difficult, Faith should force you to do sacrifices, things you don't want to do because Salvation isn't easy, leading a good life isn't easy and Faith is not for the lazy.

So he makes himself cold and mysterious, he applies rules without considering the effects on today society, he refuses to trivialize any part of the Church and fight hard to recover some meaning for the Catholic Church. For Lenny, only a Church capable of taking itself seriously on EVERY part of its doctrine is capable to be powerful and change lives.

But Lenny realise gradually he CAN change lives with his decisions... but not for the better. Several things make him realise his methods actually work but not in the way he likes. He broke the selfish faith of his female friends (Mary and the blond one), he made his brother miserable for showing his lack of faith, he pushed homosexuals (or not) to suicide.

Lenny used to believe that pushing people will lead to a new stronger faith. He didn't realise their faith was already there and was already important to them and removing it would have so much consequences. That's why he soften in the end.
>>
>>79063175
>shapiro
>jew telling christians why they should get offended about their religion by a tv series
Oy vey!
>>
>>79063294
It would literally not surprise me one bit if it turned out that he's saying all this shit about the show for any of the following reasons:

>he got paid to by a rival TV company
>he got paid to by the TV company (free publicity)
>he saw it as an opportunity to stir up controversy for his own sake
>>
>>79063175
This idiot fell for the first 5 minutes parody of the show, which is the complete OPPOSITE of Lenny's character.
>>
>>79050929
americans, atheists and women will never understand: the show
>>
>>79050929
>The main character was a complete piece of shit with no redeeming qualities. Why should I even think about finishing it?
Because Lenny is literally a saint
>>
File: received_10154755467401265.png (454KB, 933x663px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154755467401265.png
454KB, 933x663px
>>79050929
Watch the third episode.
>>
>>79063175
did he even watch the show?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV6b4-9jPHA

idc how corny it is, this may be one of my favorite scenes from a television show in years. Paolo isn't the greatest writer, but this and pretty much all of the Popes monologues are brilliant
>>
who /voiello/sistermary/ here?
>>
>>79064133
would you suckle his big guy mole?
>>
If you don't enjoy it don't watch it. Critics shit on it so you won't have to justify your views, it's not like not liking the wire, than you do have to figure out why it's good or bad.
>>
>>79064228
>If you don't enjoy it don't watch it.

Plebeian remark
>>
File: CzetfEhXAAAvJD6.jpg (56KB, 990x658px) Image search: [Google]
CzetfEhXAAAvJD6.jpg
56KB, 990x658px
*Walks towards you*
>>
>>79063293
the homosexual pushed himself to suicide for living a life where the greatest and most important value, emplaced upon a pedestal, was his vile degeneracy to gain pleasure for himself
if he cared for god at all he would have refused these temptations, yet what he ultimately ended up doing was trying to pin the blame onto someone else so that they'd feel like they had directly murdered him

the lenny character was not wrong to assume that religion truly only shines if it gives people a struggle, a very daunting and difficult task to have to keep up with, rather than compassion and forgiveness. it gives people a purpose in this vast sea of meaninglessness. you cannot have true believers when they only do it out of selfishness, to go to heaven, lazy fucks. the true test of christianity is realizing there is no heaven but only hell, that if you misstep but a single time you are going straight to hell with no salvation. it should be more than enough for these people to not only have the utterly selfish fulfillment of not going to hell, but also to be able to improve the lives of others, if this is not enough then they do not deserve christ nor god
but the lenny character was not serious enough and not well thought out enough by the writers, i thought my previous paragraph was what he was going for this entire show, yet he then goes on to say that he did this exclusively because he's an orphan, utterly ridiculous and undermines his every decision for the church, certainly the show still tells a story, perhaps even a good one, but it was not the story that i had in mind
>>
>>79066145
OR maybe it is you who have a very narrow vision of life and can't understand things in reality don't go as straight as in your head. If you don't understand why Lenny changes his mind, you're probably very young.

Also the guy who suicided never had sexual relationship, he just wanted to join the Church.
>>
>>79066336
it doesn't matter that he never had a sexual relationship, he killed himself and attempted to pin it upon someone else, that in effect amounts to practicing what was initially thought of him, perhaps even worse

i did not make it very secret that i wished for a very narrow set of ideas and was disappointed when it were not so, a lot of the things he does just don't add up, and his change in opinion really ought not be on a personal level relating to his orphanage but rather as a strategy since his former was a vast failure
i just wanted some good old fashioned zealotry yet instead the character had to go through needless developments and contradictions
>>
>>79063175
what a retard
>>
File: 1390143697520.jpg (92KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
1390143697520.jpg
92KB, 571x540px
>>79066145
I really disliked how everyone blamed Lenny for the kid who killed himself. If anything, his suicide only proved Lenny right.

How could that kid, who wanted to be a priest, be so weak that when he didn't get what he wanted, he killed himself? Had he been patient, he would have been allowed to try again really soon, but instead he killed himself. He would have made a terrible priest. How could someone so easily pushed to suicide help guide and shepherd those in need?
>>
What happened to the stigmata guy?
Are you guys expecting much for s2?
>>
>>79068420
>s2
>>
>>79068143
I agree with this. Lenny and the church are not to blame for the mental instability of that kid. I was actually surprised Lenny didn't offer more resistance to the idea that he was responsible.
>>
File: 1485624713998.jpg (76KB, 358x477px) Image search: [Google]
1485624713998.jpg
76KB, 358x477px
>>79066145
>homosexuality is vile degeneracy
Explain to me what exactly is wrong with being gay.
>>
if you don't like The Young Pope you probably have an IQ less than 90

Nothing you can do to help it but accept your mediocrity
>>
>>79068589
Because Lenny knows he couldn't have survive without the Church and he blocked that way for many people.
>>
>>79068931
It's icky
>>
>>79068931
Ask Paul.
>>
Pleb filter of the decade. Based Sorrenkino.
>>
>>79057157
i agree, the fact that there are distinctions between men and women is totally okay on a religion, specially when the rules are the same for both.

That a woman cant give mass or be pope is just a rule of the Church, if you changed it it wouldnt be catholicism but another thing. (Same for abortions, gays, etc...)
If you dont like the religion dont follow it, dont be a noun, its not the only way to god
>>
>>79068931
>what is wrong with being gay?
nothing

>what is wrong with being a degenerate and practice sodomy?
i don't think i have to explain...
>>
so when did lennys character start to turn? In the last episode I thought the change was too abrupt, almost suddenly opening himself up after the love letters were released But then I decided to think about it some more
was it after his brother died?
after spencer died?, maybe the removal of his 'family' represents growing up; but it was still very sudden to me
>>
I love this show because it's great and I love it more because everytime someone brings it up fedora fags get butthurt because of Christianity
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.