[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stephen Colbert DEMOLISHED by Ricky Gervais

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 24

File: Ricky.jpg (47KB, 492x397px) Image search: [Google]
Ricky.jpg
47KB, 492x397px
Christ Cucks on suicide watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZOwNK6n9U
>>
File: 1456069399172.jpg (10KB, 189x201px) Image search: [Google]
1456069399172.jpg
10KB, 189x201px
>>79029657
Little monkey fella.
>>
>>79029657
>it's a manlet is scorned by God so he goes full ragemode and only reinforces his image as a bitter child episode
>>
>>79029657
Why do his eyes look so wet and shiny? Was he crying or something before the show?
>>
>>79029704
Ricky is a bitter child on facebook on other social medias, but he was not on ragemode on this vid baka desu senpai
>>
File: 1485583736601.jpg (121KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
1485583736601.jpg
121KB, 569x802px
>you're an atheist, correct?
>yes
>audience claps
>>
>>79030002
this
wtf is this autism ? why applaude someone for something he doesn't chose to believe in ?
>>
>>79030033
It's a talk show, you autistic mong. What, did you expect: silent discourse and a q&a?
>>
File: 1479651233020.png (134KB, 323x241px) Image search: [Google]
1479651233020.png
134KB, 323x241px
>>79029657
christcucks on suicide watch
>>
>>79030033
Normalfags still think this is the middle ages and that there's no freedom of religion so Ricky is "brave" for saying he's an atheist.
>>
>>79030002
>weed
>audience goes wild

Talk show audiences are some of the worst gatherings of people the West has to offer.
>>
>If there's no PROOF then i don't BELIEVE you

I am not a religious person but I detest this fucking brain dead argument.

There is no incontrovertible proof that ANYTHING will happen. There is no definitive proof that the sun will rise tomorrow. Earth could be extinguished by a solar flare before then. There is STRONG EVIDENCE to suggest that the sun MAY rise tomorrow. Your BELIEF that the sun will rise tomorrow is WELL FOUNDED based on the available EVIDENCE.

Fuck ricky gervais
>>
File: 1299665342384.jpg (27KB, 174x167px) Image search: [Google]
1299665342384.jpg
27KB, 174x167px
>>79029657
>god of the gaps

at least use the moral code argument
>>
>>79029657
LMAO lefties already turning on each other

It's a new world f a m
>>
>>79030183
Autism. Make a claim and prove it.
>>
>>79030183
blame it on philosophy courses (or the lack of thereof) in America
>>
>>79030183

>There is STRONG EVIDENCE to suggest that the sun MAY rise tomorrow

Exactly.

>Your BELIEF that the sun will rise tomorrow is WELL FOUNDED based on the available EVIDENCE

Exactly.

>Fuck ricky gervais

I don't follow at which point you disagreed with him.
>>
File: 1484045757119.jpg (45KB, 720x374px) Image search: [Google]
1484045757119.jpg
45KB, 720x374px
>>79029657
>>
he still at it? grow the fuck up you twat
>>
>>79030183
It sounds like you agree with him.
>>
File: 75668.png (591KB, 895x955px) Image search: [Google]
75668.png
591KB, 895x955px
>"I know that you're an atheist."
>"Yea."
>*CLAPS*
>>
>>79029657

YAWN

same argument I always hear. Religious people rarely betray what mommy and daddy taught them. Logic and reason mean nothing as long as big guy in the sky fairy tales exist to scare them. If you wanna see your folks again in the afterlife have to say you believe. Cause god is really insecure and needs to have a lot of followers on twitter.
>>
>>79030247
>>79030362
>Fuck Ricky Gervais
Maybe he just wants to homosex?
>>
>>79030247

I disagree with him on putting forward the lack of "proof" as a reason not to believe something. Literally everyone in the world operates on the faith that things will happen short of definitive proof.

As I said, I am not a religious person, but there are things about the world, reality, consciousness, whatever, that leads people to suppose the existence of "god". How exactly "god" is defined is also a massively complicated question which has been the subject of theological debate since the beginning of time.

People like ricky gervais are reductionist fuckwits who don't realize how complicated the question of religion is.
>>
>>79030329
This he has been rehashing this thing for over a decade now. Every sentence you hear in this video has been tweeted by him at least 15 times already and he didn't come up with them himself in the first place yet he recites it every time as something revolutionary and unheard.
>>
>>79030294
hey, he's a real jerk!
>>
>>79030423
>don't realize how complicated the question of religion is
It's not complicated at all. Majority of people are just retarded and can be easily manipulated by fear.
>>
>>79030423
you know how you mention that the sun rose the day before and whatever, that's what he means when he says he needs proof. You're the only one getting butt rustled because of the wording.
>>
>>79030423
>People like ricky gervais are reductionist fuckwits who don't realize how complicated the question of religion is
Care to elaborate for us reductionist fuckwits?
>>
>>79030183
You agree with him, proof in this case clearly means "evidence sufficient enough to indicate a strong possibility of your religion being true". Of course nothing is certain.
>>
>>79029657
I literally heard all his arguments on his twitter before this video years ago, and these arguments aren't new or constructed by him. He's literally repeating, word-for-word, thoughts of other atheists.
>>
>>79030002
t. Reddit
>>
>>79030514
ok
>>
>>79030483

See, you're exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. A fedora tipping high school dipshit who sees the obvious flaws in the common mainstream conception of how "god" is defined and thinks he's some kind of intellectual.

God does not have to be interpreted as a sentient man in the sky who causes things to happen through action and intent.

As far as I'm concerned, if you believe the universe follows a set of rules that cannot be broken (like, i dunno, the law of gravity?) then you believe in god under a different name.

retard
>>
File: 1473651968750.jpg (176KB, 664x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1473651968750.jpg
176KB, 664x1203px
>>79030535
>As far as I'm concerned
that's where you fucked up.

>calling others a fedora tipping high school dipshit
toppest of keks
>>
>>79030535
>God does not have to be interpreted as a sentient man in the sky who causes things to happen through action and intent.
Yet all major organized abrahamic religions do think god is a sentient man in the sky who causes things to happen through action and intent.
>>
>>79030485

And I'm saying that there is evidence that leads people to believe in god. And that people interpret god in different ways other than the mainstream idea of a man in the sky.
>>
>>79030002
Daily Show and Real Time with Bill Maher just demonstrate how easily excited crowds get when famous people have compatible political/social views as them. It's not just American custom, I've seen it in Canada, UK, and many parts of Europe. It's honestly strange.
>>
>>79030535
Gervais rejected mainstream religions, which for the most part do believe God is a sentient man in the sky.
>>
>>79030601
>And I'm saying that there is evidence that leads people to believe in god.
no, there isn't.

>And that people interpret god in different ways other than the mainstream idea of a man in the sky.
the ones in organized religions don't
>>
>>79029657
Christ, all I saw was the title and I'm already feeling like defending Colbert for the first time in my life. I'm not even religious. Fucks sake Gervais is a fag
>>
>>79030589

See, this is where you're fucking wrong. You should read some christian intellectualism some time - Thomas aquinas, Cloud of unknowing, or any fucking major philosopher in the enlightenment period. These people all had conceptions of god that were radically different than the mainstream idea.
>>
>>79030535
What a dumb argument. The God being debated is obviously the anthropomorphized one that most people believe in. Of course if you reduce the word to broader and broader meanings it becomes less clear.
>>
>>79029657
Jeez, colbert got raped
>>
>>79030642
Who would people pray to something non-sentient according to you?
>>
>>79030635

Yes there is. Or are you the kind of close minded moron who thinks that evidence, even scientific data, can only lead to one conclusion? There are different ways to interpret evidence and statistical misrepresentation is a huge problem in the scientific community these days.
>>
>>79030642
Uh theres only one god bro you said it yourself its mother nature
>>
>>79030681
>he believes in alternate facts
please provide sources of a repeatable experiment that provides evidence of God.
>>
>>79030535
>w-well if i redefine god to be anything i want then you believe in god too!!! checkmate atheists!!!
>>
>white male
>brings up spree killing first chance he gets

white males are literally not human and the enemy of mankind

>ignores the prime mover argument

kek. guess those protons at the dawn of time just willed themselves to existence and supercollided
>>
>>79030681
Astrology is also an "interpretation" of evidence.
>>
>>79030670

Prayer is opening up an entirely different argument.

>>79030646
I've never heard Ricky Gervais say, "Oh, I'm just refuted the commonly anthropomorphized god that most people believe in. I accept the notion that are metaphysical phenomenon which aren't quantifiable in scientific terms."
>>
>>79030423
>People like ricky gervais are reductionist fuckwits who don't realize how complicated the question of religion is.

You're so off base it's sad. Most atheists do not dismiss existence so haphazardly. Gervais certainly does not either. He simply dismisses god created the air and sun and man. Creationists don't ask questions. The question of religion is a dead end subject. It is not complicated. It is simple, it is "fan fiction". The real questions like, what caused DNA to exist on our planet, does it come into existence on other planets, would they need DNA or some other form of life? What happened before the big bang? These questions ARE complicated and serve to explore life and existence in a far more concrete and dynamic way than religion ever has. Anyone can understand spooky rules made by ghost people, but can everyone understand why kids like cinnamon toast crunch?
>>
File: 50 cent - walk away.gif (987KB, 271x226px) Image search: [Google]
50 cent - walk away.gif
987KB, 271x226px
ITT: Stupid fucks believing that talk shows interviews are spontaneous and not prepared in advance
>>
>>79030642
Of course, because intellectually the mainstream conception of God is completely untenable. The character himself might even be the most loathsome and evil ever devised.
>>
>>79030727
You're being purposefully obtuse. It's pretty clear that Gervais is rejecting the commonly believed concept of God.
>>
>>79030727
Prayer is opening up an entirely different argument.
No it doesn't. You said that god is not a sentient man in the sky. If that is so then why do people pray to non-sentient natural laws like gravity for instance?
>>
>>79029657
wehter god is real or not religion is a evolutionary safe mechanism so the species wouldn't go depressed and extinct
just check the birthrates between religious people and atheist
atheist barely breeds
>>
>>79030727
What metaphysical phenomena? No there aren't. People thought the mind was metaphysical but then science showed brain injuries directly change thoughts.
>>
>>79030681

Show me scientific data that leads to the conclusion that the God from the Hebrew bible exists
>>
>>79030781
Prayer in the sense of attempting to cause change is obviously intellectually undefendable. There are other ways of thinking about "prayer" - i.e. a form of meditation which brings you closer to understanding the way the world works.

>>79030778
But he never once has articulated this point. That's why I think he's a reductionist retard.
>>
>>79030109
Atheists are the most distrusted demographic in the US, even more so than Muslims or Communists.
>>
>>79030855
>But he never once has articulated this point. That's why I think he's a reductionist retard.
because he's not autistic and the context the of the argument he had with colbert did it for him.
>>
>>79030727
>Oh, I'm just refuted the commonly anthropomorphized god that most people believe in

Once you realise the anthropomorphic God doesn't exist you realise that any other gods also don't exist and for the same reasons.
>>
>>79030183
So show me the strong evidence that God exists then?
>>
>>79030855
He doesn't need to articulate that point because it's quite obvious to everybody but you apparently.
>>
>>79030855
>There are other ways of thinking about "prayer" - i.e. a form of meditation which brings you closer to understanding the way the world works.
>"prayer"

So not prayer then?
>>
>>79030535
well, if you're gonna go ahead and say "god is the laws of the universe", then yeah i believe in what you call "god", cause i have reasons to believe these things i.e. science.
but that is not what a god is in any religion.
if you're just gonna go ahead and call all the provable circumstances of the universe "god", then you are not religious at all, you just gave a different name to physics.
that's just a cop out. the god in the bible isn't real.
>>
>>79030828
That shows correlation, not causation. You can see similar trends if you look at feminists, liberals, access to sex education, prosperity etc. There are loads of factors to consider. The Chinese are traditionally quite atheistic yet had to introduce a one child policy because their population growth was so out of control.
>>
>>79030514
and that makes them invalid ok
>>
>>79030855
when people pray, they don't go "i wanna understand the mechanisms of the universe and find a sense of purpose", they go "i will worship you god, please don't smite me and give me what i desire".
You are simply not describing religion.
>>
>>79030002
i hate the excessive clapping in american audiences.

sycophants make me feel ill desu
>>
>>79030183
to believe in a god is not well founded in anything though. there is no evidence for you to reach that conclusion and that's what the argument is about.
people just believe in a god, there is no real logical reason to do so.
>>
>>79030109
lmao no. Most people just don't care or don't believe and therefore label themselves as atheist.

They're applauding because it's a fucking chat show where the crowd is supposed to suck the chosen celebs dick.
>>
>>79030828
that's not an argument on wether religious beliefs are justified, just the fact that humans like to make stuff up to feel better about themselves.
pretty irrelevant to the discussion at hand to be honest.
>>
>>79029657
>DONALD TRU-
*BOOOOOOOOOOOOO*
there.
Summed up the entire show for the next 8 years.
>>
File: 1473300457689.jpg (258KB, 724x541px) Image search: [Google]
1473300457689.jpg
258KB, 724x541px
Atheists believe that mouse traps evolved.
>>
>>79030423
There are many tells throughout history that religion is just something to manipulate the peons with, even the vatican has ridiculous politics and power struggles and they are supposed to be altruistic.

Also why is the holy bible take on religion the only shit that people discuss? Gervais makes a good point with his "you don't believe in 2999 other gods and I just don't believe in that one extra god" line, there has been MANY religions throughout history that have just been completely discarded in favor of a religion that showed up out of nowhere and immediately had agents trying to subjugate other groups of people with said religion. So much for the religion that the people who basically created philosophy followed, its just trite bullshit for movies and video games now.

There is so many holes in modern religion, and even as you say you aren't religious, all you have done is change the definition of god to fit your dumb ass argument to begin with, so sure, once you start calling gravity god, then yeah it gets harder to argue against
>>
>>79029657
That's disappointing, I had hoped Colbert would have a more sophisticated view of god than that. Jumping into the rational discussion will just get you mangled every time which I figured someone like him would understand.
>>
>>79031004
It''s nothing new. Any atheist and even well-informed religious people heard this before. Why is the audience acting in awe about Rick repeating the objections that better atheists have put forth? Colbert does the same thing, but the audience has the same reaction that I have for Rick.
>>
>>79029657
Literally a shell of a man after Merchant dropped him. Sad!
>>
>>79030642
you do realise thats kinda the point he is raising
>>
>"why" is irrelevant

No Ricky I think it's incredibly relevant, because if there is not only a "how" but also a "why" it literally changes EVERYTHING.

The fact that he ducked out of discussing the issue of a prime mover tells me that this guy has never actually thought very hard about theism or atheism. If Ricky's atheism is actually part of a well thought out world view, he's never gone into any detail of it. His atheism just seems to be part of his schtick, he just repeats the same phrases verbatim, says something edgy and the audience claps on cue. The fact that his atheism is almost exclusively aimed at that 1 extra God that he doesn't believe in is telling in my opinion. It's kind of sad in my opinion to watch a grown man try to be edgy by going after Christianity in this day and age when the western world is almost entirely secular in nature. If he wanted to be REALLY edgy he'd go after secular humanists but I don't think he's prepared to bite the hand that feeds.
>>
>>79031256
it's a talk show audience. you just have to tell them "this is the best audience ever" or "this is my favourite city" and they eat that shit up.

the arguments are strong (they're old, but they're still good arguments), the clapping-at-anything culture is annoying.
>>
File: nice ass.png (251KB, 407x369px) Image search: [Google]
nice ass.png
251KB, 407x369px
Damn, Ricky looks like THAT?
>>
>>79030002
Liberals need constant affirmation from celebrities that their beliefs are cool and witty, making them more clever than others.
>>
File: Ralph.jpg (33KB, 366x555px) Image search: [Google]
Ralph.jpg
33KB, 366x555px
>WATCH MILO ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING HYPOCRITICAL SJW IDIOT (HILARIOUS) (MUST WATCH) (TRIGGERED)

Getting really tired of this shit desu.
>>
>>79031328
>His atheism just seems to be part of his schtick

/thread
>>
the idea that science will be replicated 1000 years after being destroyed while religion wouldn't be seems wrong to me

aren't there lots of science articles that basically get debunked? will they be replicated? how are faulty scientific articles not the equivalent of 3000 deities, i mean if someone presents two scientific articles and you choose to believe one over the other that's like believing in one god over an other right
>>
>>79031577
i think what he meant was that, over time the same scientific principles would be replicated as they are consistent regardless of who or when the test is carried out.

someone else would eventually come up with the theory of gravity, or calculus or whatever
>>
>i know that you're an atheist...
>yeah
>*audience applause*
how embarrasing
>>
>>79031577
What he means is that science is the search for knowledge, for truth of how this world works. And the answers to that won't ever change, it simply exists. If you kill every believer of a religion, their faith is gone forever and no one will find it again.
>>
>>79031328
To be fair it is a talk show. He's going for maximum laughs.
>>
>>79029657

God exists. Not in the classical sense of the world but there is a fabric that weaves this universe and every other universe together. I like to think about the concept of atoms, and us just being atoms to some other being beyond our understanding. Anyway yeah religion came and shat on all that and we probably knew a lot more in terms of spirituality back in the day, but we tend to be greedy so obviously some cunt sussed how to be the top dog before others did. Hence the Pope. Atheism seems to derive from a fear of not knowing, or being proven wrong, so they like to denounce religion loudly. People who feed into religions are oftentimes just born into it sadly, though it still attracts it's fair share of the lonely and unfulfilled. Try not to dwell on it guys, it just hurts your head. Enjoy life and spread that message instead :)
>>
File: into the trash.jpg (10KB, 285x200px) Image search: [Google]
into the trash.jpg
10KB, 285x200px
>>79031706

>God exists
>>
>>79031630
to add to this:

while religion will change. People will probably come up with another religion again that follows a singular god or whatever, but it won't be God and it won't be Jesus. It'll be something new.
>>
Why are atheists so angry and hateful about other people being religious? They always bring up about how they can't have respect for someone who lacks "critical thinking."
>>
>>79031729
What if he has proofs?
>>
>Do you ever have feeling of great gratitude for existence?
>Of course!
Pfffft dropped.
>>
>>79031640

But new faiths/doctrines/religions will always be born. As long as questions of purpose in relation to life and what follows death are asked, this will always be the case.
>>
File: into the trash 1.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
into the trash 1.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>79031769

Present proof then

inb4

>The bible
>>
>>79031577
Because if a scientific article has been proven to be false, people stop quoting it because it's wrong. And sure, not all the scientific articles and experiments would be identical, but overall they would come to the same conclusions. The same mathematical concepts, the same gravity, the same advances in any sort of technology.

The whole point is that the question about a god is redundant, because there can never be proof he does or doesn't exist simply because it's a supernatural concept.
>>
>>79031706
>Atheism seems to derive from a fear of not knowing, or being proven wrong, so they like to denounce religion loudly.

What makes you say that? I think it's more born out of practicality and skepticism. It simply can't be proven or disproven.
>>
>>79031729

Well done for pretty much confirming my thoughts on atheists. x
>>
>>79031633
>talk show audiences clap
shocking, isn't it?
>>
>>79031328
Any discussion about religion is useless because it's all based on beliefs. Either you believe in a god or you don't, end of story. There can be no proof in favour or against a god, since the whole point of a god is that it's a supernatural being no mortal could even begin to understand.
>>
>>79031776
yes, that's part of his argument. They will always be born, but they will never be the same as the ones that were wiped out.
>>
>A magic man in the sky created everything and then made a list of arbitrary rules that he told some bloke on a mountain 2000+ years about and then never told anyone else
>>
>>79031577
>faulty scientific articles

All scientific articles are scrutinized until they can be replicated consistently or corroborated. Religion isn't.

Checkmate, religion.
>>
>>79031706
>God exists
stopped reading right there
>>
>>79031776
but faiths/doctrines are not based on objective truths or the behaviour of nature, so the answers to the questions that will always be asked will be different.

the answers to scientific principle should in theory always be the same but answers to existential/religious questions will be different person-to-person
>>
>>79031800

Perhaps I was wrong to use the term atheist, but rather people who are proud of their atheism? Most of my friends aren't religious, some don't believe in God, some do, others like myself just don't believe it's as black and white as that. But yeah, back to the point. I've noticed a lot of "public" atheists, for want of a better word, have a tendency to put their fingers in their ears and shout loudly in the face of opposition. Which in my opinion never helps anyone.
>>
>>79031450
something something peak performance looks like
>>
>>79031328
Atheism doesn't require a thought-out world view you braindead fuck. You just have to not believe an arbitrary made-up concept, which most people in England where he's from don't get taught about to begin with. The only reason there is an argument at all is because theists keep pushing it. It's like saying you need to have deep introspection and understanding of human biology in order to be "cis" rather than a tranny. Or you need to understand psychology to be sane rather than insane. Nope, it's just the default state you are born into, and you are not directly opposing the outliers simply by not being the same as them. YOU are the one with a point to prove so you better have something good.
>>
>>79031855

If you did you would see I'm not religious. Are you guys really that ignorant? Arguments stem from reasoned discussion, you are quite literally doing exactly what I said most atheists do (fingers in ears analogy).
>>
>>79029657
I couldn't imagine doing a bit for 10 plus years. Especially edgy atheism bit
>>
>>79031913

>Atheism doesn't require a thought-out world view you braindead fuck

But believing in a magical man in the sky does? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>79031918
Says the guy who says God exists. How can you open with the argument god exists when there's zero proof he does or doesn't?
>>
>>79030613
Maher is the worst in terms of playing the crowd - and his crowd is the worst in return.

Ironically a hardcore atheist called him out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA
>>
>>79031940
he didn't say it did.
>>
>>79031931
it's not really a bit. stephen asked his opinion on something and he answered him.

also if this is considered "edgy" you must be very sheltered.
>>
>>79031967

Did you read the entirety of the post? I answer your question within about 3/4 sentences, so no need to read it all if that's too much for you to handle.
>>
>>79031983
>it's not a bit

I'm sure he believes it but this is literally his biggest sell of all his comedy and has been for a decade
>>
>>79031776
And none of their believers will ever know the truth. Science is exact. Humans may get some things wrong, and there are many things we don't know yet, but there are things we have confirmed, and those things we find to be right are objective truth.
>>
>>79031983
Even the slight doubt in the bible is considered edgy in America.
>>
>>79031706
>God exists. Not in the classical sense of the world
so He doesn't exist. You can't just change the meaning of words because then you literally have the problem with how literally is used these days.
>>
>>79031931
>edgy
>atheism
Is this an American thing? You guys need to loosen up some.
>>
>>79031990
Your argument is the same. You envision the idea that maybe there something beyond our comprehension and we're mere atoms to that being or force. But again, there's zero evidence for that, it's just faith.
>>
>>79031688

I know it's probably just my autism but just once I'd actually like to see some solid discussion value and interactions between theists and atheists. There never seems to be any middle ground between discussion of this calibre and a 3+ hour formal debate setting, it's a shame.

>>79031795
>Because if a scientific article has been proven to be false, people stop quoting it because it's wrong.
>implying

>>79031833
>discussion about religion is useless

Only if you presume that the only reason to discus religion is to try to empirically prove or disprove the existence of the supernatural. Religion is often the tool which shapes a person's entire world view, there's a lot of value to be had discussing religion.
>>
>>79032018
Where is the atheism in The Office, Extras, Life on the Road etc?
>>
>>79032019

Will science ever answer questions of purpose though? We have a primitive understanding (breed/stay alive), but nothing beyond that. That's the problem, we are essentially so insignificant that we will never understand it, as there will always be more questions to ask. So how do you eradicate religion?
>>
>>79032070
>but just once I'd actually like to see some solid discussion value and interactions between theists and atheists.

Im honestly sure that exists somewhere, just not on the Colbert show.
>>
>>79032072
>implying there is a purpose.

human extinction is the only way to completely remove religion.
>>
>>79032071
The Office was a fucking 6 episode thing always near cancellation until Americans brought it up.

His number one shtick has always been atheism brohanamus
>>
>>79032018
i've never really picked up on that strong of an atheistic vibe. i know he has one standup special about religion but you make it seem like all of his work has an undertone of atheism, but i just don't see it.
>>
>>79032043

Language evolves constantly, God isn't even the original word of the concept we're discussing so your point is irrelevant. You understood what I was saying so to focus on the semantics is childish.

>>79032060
Finally, someone who read my post in full. Yeah I completely get what you're saying but that's not my belief, it's more a metaphor for how large and full of wonder the universe still is. It's why I rounded up my post with "try not to dwell on it" etc.
>>
>>79032070
>Because if a scientific article has been proven to be false, people stop quoting it because it's wrong.

I'm talking about the scientific community here. If a biologist had written a paper about something that gets disproven by another biologist later, the first biologist will not simply say "fake paper" and push his own shit still.
The religion point is solely about the question whether or not he exists. Any discussion about that is useless. You can discuss the influence religion has on the world, but that's about it.
>>
>>79029657
Why does Ricky Gervais always "demolish" Christians?

Has he ever challenged any Jewish or Muslims?
>>
>>79029657
PLAY A RECORD
>>
>>79031918
i just read the rest of your post and it's just some gibberish about atoms and life force and fabric and shit?!?! you high nigga?
>>
>>79031940
I'm not sure you understood the point of my post whatsoever dude. What I said was that there is NO obligation for an atheist to justify themselves. The only reason people like Ricky even argue about it is to humor theists, but in reality there is no reason for him to do so and all he has to do is say "prove it" and they are instantly shut down.
Atheism shouldn't need to exist as a term, just like cis or straight or sane, it's simply a word that means "normal" made to be used by people who are abnormal to label their opposition.
Think of it like this, I could decide to believe that all people on earth are controlled by a puppeteer who is invisible and undetectable to humans. Since you do not believe this concept I just made up, that makes you an "apuppeteerian". Of course this is not an actual position that you consciously thought about, took up, and strongly believe in. It just means you don't believe in my made up nonsense. You could decide to come up with arguments to disprove this to me but you're under no obligation to do so, after all I just made it up. And if I called you edgy for being an apuppeteer that would probably be seen as quite ridiculous. Atheism is literally this.
>>
>>79032162
>Language evolves constantly
saying god means something else isn't evolution

>>79032165
I'm pretty sure his stance is that they're the same as Christianity. I don't know because I've never watched it, but maybe jon stewart tried the same bit with him on the daily show.
>>
File: 1455843912333.png (194KB, 1251x585px) Image search: [Google]
1455843912333.png
194KB, 1251x585px
>>79030403
you should get out more then
>>
>>79032165
i imagine it's because he grew up with it. and his atheism would be a rejection of all religion not just christianity.
>>
>>79031820
no
>>
>>79030423
It's not complicated at all. To a person who hadn't been indoctrinated into religion it seems like basic common sense. Here's a guy who wants to shill a whole system of belief and huge rich as fuck organisation based on a retarded prime mover argument. He's other guys shilling other deities with similarly hilarious arguments. All those arguments are convoluted as fuck so you can hide a logical mistake inside. It's like that math thing you do in high school to prove that 1+1=3.

As for the complexity of theology and dudes writing volumes on why Jesus was half man and not a full god based on a couple passages of the new testament, this stuff is obviously only relevant to someone who has bought into the religion already.
>>
Ricky should have prepared for this more, don't they discuss and rehearse the questions before hand? Maybe he thought sounding too rehearsed would make him sound fake?

Still the puddle in a pothole analogy is a perfect response to "why" the universe exists.
And there are much better reasons to explain why you would trust science over the bible.
>>
>>79029704
>christfag starts asking you a bunch of questions about your atheism
> answer calmly
>"KEK Y SO TRIGGERED NERD?"
>>
>>79032226
>>79032238
But he always just mocks christianity and christians. How come he never says anything bad about muslims or jews?
>>
>>79030535
>As far as I'm concerned, if you believe the universe follows a set of rules that cannot be broken (like, i dunno, the law of gravity?) then you believe in god under a different name.
The difference being that a belief in god is a belief that the universe was created for some explicit purpose and that you have to follow a very specific (relative to the literally endless options) way of life to live life the "right" way so that this universe creator will be happy and send you to heaven. 'Science' tries to understand the universe without a bias towards here or here. Trying to understand the actual observable logic of the universe doesn't include telling people how to live and prosecuting those who don't.
>>
He's put the weight back on.
>>
>>79032377
He doesn't mock any particular religion. None of his beliefs can possibly be biased against Christians because he doesn't have any. You're just insecure.
>>
>>79032189

>Atheism shouldn't need to exist as a term

Yes it should. It literally means lack of believe. You either believe in something or you don't. Doesn't matter what kinda supreme deity we're arguing about, you either do believe in it or not.
>>
>>79032189
>atheism is the "default" position meme.

If Atheism is the default position and we're all born atheist then how do you explain the fact that mankind since time immemorial has held strong spiritual beliefs?

The idea that atheism is the default stance while theism is an aberration flies completely in the face of thousands of years of recorded human history.
>>
>>79032319
Yeah his explanation wasn't top notch but it's not like the people who watch Colbert's current show have any brain cells. He was also pretty respectful there, unlike all the triggered Chirstcucks ITT.
>>
>>79030002
This must be an American thing. Is it a big deal to be athiest in murrica? Back in UK Ricky's beliefs wouldn't even warrent questioning let alone an applsuse break.

For a country that loves freedom of expression/religion so much you sure are obsessed with what everyone believes...
>>
>>79032377
a. probably because he knows chrstianity best
b. scared muslims might become violent
c. jews who control media will blacklist him
who knows, but just because he doesn't focus on them doesn't mean he says they're the exception to his criticism
>>
>>79032377
does he? i think what he says is pretty universal to all religion.

but maybe he just has some kind of subconscious bias toward the one he is most familiar with, so he unknowingly says things that are more relevant to christianity.
>>
>>79032473
Mankind is the only species in the world asking "why", but only recently has started really exploring the "how". Mayans 2500 years ago thought their explanations made perfect sense, they thought it was logical, they didn't think it was 'belief'. The idea that religion isn't a fact of life but rather something you can choose to believe or not to believe in is fairly new, at least in Western society.
>>
>>79032473
Why do people born into different cultures end up following different religions, or none? Isn't it interesting that people have the exact same beliefs as all of the other people around them? I mean if it's innate then it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it seems like people are being pressured into it by their environment. Hmm.
>>
>>79032473
curiosity is a natural human trait, so of course people will ask questions and eventually land on the topic of "why am i here?". doesn't mean there is an answer.
>>
File: Gervais1.jpg-original.jpg (183KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
Gervais1.jpg-original.jpg
183KB, 600x780px
>>79032436
>He doesn't mock any particular religion.

pic related.
>>
>>79030247
His point was semantic bullshit about "proof", "evidence", "belief" and so son.
>>
>>79032468
But you also do not believe that the universe exists inside the stomach of a giant blue whale, and you also do not believe that there are invisible fairies flying around your head and giving you intrusive thoughts, and you also do not believe that mirrors are a window to a parallel universe where everything is horizonally flipped. The point is that there is an infinite number of made-up conjectures that people do not believe in. We do not need to justify our disbelief in these things and we do not need a word for the lack of belief in them. It would be impossible as there is a literally infinite number.
>>
>>79031833
then the concept is flawed and we should reject it
>>
>>79029657
It's just a plaisant interview.

Everything must be BTFO this SUICIDE WATCH KEKS that with you people.
>>
I guess they clapped because in Murrika being a Atheist is still social stigma, while the rest of the world would just say ''whatever''.
>>
>>79032631
>and you also do not believe that mirrors are a window to a parallel universe where everything is horizonally flipped
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>79032436
He does go after Christianity specifically. And that's fine, because he's from a Christian country, but at the same time there is a really irritating trend of atheists all over the west solely attacking Christianity (and to a lesser extend Judaism) while ignoring Islam. Why? Because attacking Islam is a nice way to get yourself stabbed.
>>
>>79032667
indeed, and now that they have a new government, being an atheist will become cool again
>>
>>79032566

If he'd lived in the Bible belt his whole fucking life or something that might not be the cringiest thing I've seen for about 8 months.
>>
>>79032667
>Obama implies we might have some wierd tranny, otherkin, robot presidents someday
>the idea of an openly atheist president is still too unbelievable though
>>
>>79032566
ooph he really should not have let this photo go out
>>
>>79032664
this.

don't know why these videos send people into a fury.
>>
File: 1480646636117.jpg (144KB, 618x597px) Image search: [Google]
1480646636117.jpg
144KB, 618x597px
>>79029657
>Its an atheists vs religion episode

Sure is 2011 in here
>>
>>79032691
Well yeah with a fucking bible-thumping creationist VP no kidding.
>>
>>79032436
I have never seen him mocking any other religion than Christianity, but if you know a video or something else that proves me wrong then i'd like to see it. I dont see how that makes me insecure.

>>79032500
This is most likely the probably reason. He's afraid the he will be labeled as anti-semitic or anti-Muslim because it would hurt his public image and his career.
>>
>>79030535
The worst part is you will go through life thinking you are smart.
>>
>>79032667
>I guess they clapped because in Murrika being a Atheist is still social stigma

It isn't at all. The way that foreigners assume they know everything about us based on our tv never ceases to amaze me, especially when those same people turn around and complain that we're ignorant about the rest of the world.
>>
>>79032530
>if you were "ethnicity X" you'd be "religion Y" instead meme

Are you just parroting Dawkins at this point? Anyone who actually takes the time to study the growth of religions will know that this is factually incorrect.

If atheism is innate then how to do you explain the existence of a religious culture in the first place? You can't.
>>
>>79032689
Atheism is not an opposition to Christianity though, it's just a neutral position. The reason all his appearances on talk shows etc are Christian-oriented is because he works in the US where all of the people arguing with him are Christian. It's not his fault any further than the fact he chose to live in the US. If a muslim person argued with him he'd say they are wrong as well.
>>
>>79030201
If the Jew God exists he is evil, ff the old gods exist they are week. Praise Kek, shadilay.
>>
I have a question for all murrikan fedora tipper atheists: you are just being elected president of the USA, but you have pledge on the Bible.
Do you do it (and are an hypocrite) or tip the fedora so hard that you lose the presidency?
>>
>>79032689
they grow up in christian (or not so christian anymore) societies. Most of them know muslims from women pushing prams wearing hijab or turkish chicken shops. The dont know the nuts and bolts of the faith, and it doesnt intrude on their lives so they dont bother.

In saudi arabia however, if you are an athiest and resent islam and the dumb praying and fasting, and make a facebook comment saying 'mohammed is a dickhead'; you get hanged in public. the west could do something but they are the kids who only knew islam from the chicken shop so they dont really care and put it down to culture and race
>>
Stephen's kind of a dick, apparently.
>>
>haha 97% of climate scientists believe something so it must be true
>haha 95% of the world is religious to some degree but they're all stupid idiots unlike me and my fedora
>>
>>79032737
The same way you assume you know everything about America, considering athiesm is still a social stigma in a very large percentage of the country. Sure, not so much in the larger cities, but outside of those it is not uncommon for the first thing an American asks you when they're getting to know you is "which church do you attend?".
>>
>>79032773
>Atheism is not an opposition to Christianity though, it's just a neutral position

I agree, or at least I agree that it should be.

>The reason all his appearances on talk shows etc are Christian-oriented is because he works in the US where all of the people arguing with him are Christian.

And when he goes back home to the UK, presumably he criticizes Muslims, who form a significant minority of the population of that country?
>>
>>79032838
who are you quoting?
>>
>>79032838
I cant pick holes in the climate scientists evidence
>>
>>79032838

Ah yes good argument, since subsistence level farmers are as good at reasoning as scientists.
>>
>>79032846
That's because being religious is the default, not because atheism is a stigma. You might as well complain that being Jewish is a stigma because nobody asks what synagogue you go to.

>>79032875
Nobody, he's just baiting.
>>
>wasted hours on twitter
>after karl and steven left him all his ventures failed
>mocked based mel gibson who is literally back
>mel has an oscar and nominated this year
>ricky gervais
>0 oscars
OI M8 BRITISH COMEDY IS 'ERE
>>
>>79032631

>We do not need to justify our disbelief in these things and we do not need a word for the lack of belief in them. It would be impossible as there is a literally infinite number.

Yes we do. I just said it doesn't matter what proposed ideology/deity you are presenting me with. If i don't believe in it, it makes me an atheist. It's a lack of belief. That lack of belief can extent to just one possible deity or an infinite amount of proposed religions. There are no different words for each and every one of them since it all comes down to the same point...i don't believe in it.
>>
haHA!

He's mental
>>
>>79032838
>this is the average level of argument a /pol/fag can form when he's not autistically memeing
haha lmao
>>
File: CT0yGg9UAAAsFb_.jpg (18KB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
CT0yGg9UAAAsFb_.jpg
18KB, 400x408px
>he believes in an old dude sitting in a chair in the sky
>>
>>79032903
>Oscars suddenly aren't pure tosh just because muh based Mel has one
come on now
this isn't a defence of that obnoxious faggot Ricky btw
>>
>>79032750
>religicuck accuses someone else of "parroting"
fucking kek
If religion is innate then how come there are so many of them and how come they are incompatible? It's not a meme to say if you were born somewhere else you would not be Christian, it's literally true.
It's pretty fucking easy to explain the existence of religious culture. Someone made it up to control the population with fear. It's the equivalent of your media telling you lies about politicians to control their views and actions. I don't see how you can't come up this explanation yourself considering new cults and alt-religions are springing up even in this modern age and people believe it. You can observe it happening in real-time.
>>
>>79032903
i thought the mel gibson jokes were pretty funny.

and they were jokes so you don't need to get so defensive.
>>
>>79031191
I genuinely can't tell if this is bait or if you're just retarded.
>>
>>79032880
>>79032892
>haha I don't actually have a degree in climatology but I trust the scientists blindly
>haha scientists always act in everybody's best interests completely without personal gain
>>
Why do people get so heated about bullshit like this?
>>
>>79033008
if you can't tell that this is bait, it is you who is the retard
>>
I was surprised Stephen didn't mention Trump at any point during that interview.
>>
File: haha.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>mfw in 2000 years time naruto will be considered a religious book
>>
>>79032905
Well you better explain yourself then dude. WHY don't you believe in mirrors being a window to a parallel universe? Since you don't believe it that means you must have thought long and hard about it, and you have a list of well-reasoned arguments to prove it wrong. So let's hear it, after all you are the one taking this fierce position of opposing the parallel-mirror-universe theory you fucking edgelord.
Do you see what I mean?
>>
>>79032956
>>79032978
yeah but you can hear jealousy in ricky's '''''jokes'''''. Mel is a legend, ricky is nothing without karl and steven.
>>
>>79032750
No, not just ethnicity. If you are adopted into Christian household, you're much more likely to become a Christian than the religion of your biological origin.

Religious cultures all started because it is human nature to question existence, and early humans had a lot of imagination to go around. Religious cultures persist mostly because the long lasting ones were designed to be self sustaining, and most followers of them follow because they were taught to.
>>
>>79030855
Man you're a fucking retard.
>tee hee im not religious im spiritual xD
>muh meditation
>muh universe is god
Kill yourself.
>>
>>79032838
Yep, and since Islam is the fasted growing religion, you've made sure to lay out your mat and submit yourself to Allah already, right?
>>
>>79033070
which joke struck you as malicious?
>>
>>79033026
It's hard to come to terms with possibility that Bible is made up non-sense and that you and the majority of people are retarded and naive.
>>
>>79032838
So it doesn't matter WHICH religion you believe in, even though they're all incompatible with one another, as long as you're not a filthy atheist?
>>
>its a ricky never bashes Saudi Arabia for officially having slavery till the '60 episode
>its a ricky on twitter for hours episode
>its a ricky photoshopped his bitch tits but they still prominent in his photo op episode
>>
>>79033118
Lots of projecting there. Calm down, buddy.
>>
>>79033129
just because he doesn't bash the saudis doesn't mean he absolves them of being the scumbags they are.

you have to remember he is a comedian. you can't really choose what ideas pop into your head.
>>
>its a ricky has a beer on stage episode

What a man of the people lad! haHA
>>
Notice how the whole edgy atheist thing seems to have completely disappeared? It was fucking huge a few years ago

I think it might have something to do with Islam now being higher on the totem poll
>>
>Atheism isn't a belief system

Not this shitty meme
>>
>>79030294
There's nobody in the world as fucking stupid as a fucking stupid christian. Fuck them.
>>
>>79033186
more like hes a pussy who never bashes jews for killing women and children of jericho because their (((((God)))))) told them so. more like hes a pussy who will never ever make mohammed was a goatfucking pedo jokes. british comedy is low tier garbage because anglo saxons are poofters.
>>
>>79033066

Take it easy there dude. Since you're coming up with invisible cavetrolls, faries, giant turtles outside our Universe you're clearly invoking Russell's teapot analogy here in which you will know...the burden of proof is on you. You are the one making a claim, not me...you are. You are coming up to me and saying "Hey man there is this giant Unicorn outside our Universe who farts out multiple dimensions." I'm asking you. "Do you have any proof for that." You say "No." I say "Well then i don't believe you." I have a lack of belief in what you presented in what you said to me. I didn't come up with that. Same as in the video
>>
File: IMG_3453.jpg (166KB, 531x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3453.jpg
166KB, 531x800px
>>79033118
Because people shouldn't stick by their beliefs
>>
>>79033254
>not believing in any religion is a belief system
>implying every atheist believes every word that comes out of a man with a white coat
>>
>>79033295
It's the Christcucks who get heated up though. Used to be the opposite but that's just how it is right now.
>>
>>79032976
>If religion is innate then how come there are so many of them and how come they are incompatible?

You are conflating two separate questions.

1. Are people are naturally religious or not?
2. Are religious claims true?

>It's not a meme to say if you were born somewhere else you would not be Christian, it's literally true.

I guess someone forgot to tell all those Chinese Christians that they're supposed to be Taoists.

>entire civilisations were duped into religion by 1 guy because CONTROL.

It's like I'm arguing with myself when I was 15 years old.
>>
>>79033282
That is EXACTLY the point I am making dude. Replace all the shit I made up with the Abrahamic god or any religious belief and that's exactly how religion works. And as you say, the burden of proof is on them. Not the people not believing in arbitrary things some guy conjured up.
>>
>>79033254
it isn't tho.
just imagine living your life without any influence of an outside higher power. that is it.

i think irreligious is a better name for it. just a lack of religion.

"you christian?"
no
"well what are you then"
i'm not anything

pretty simple
>>
>>79033360
>without any influence of an outside higher power.
One could argue religious people also have zero influence of an outside higher power since they get no benefit from it or any proof it even exists and and act purely on faith.
>>
>>79033360
Atheism is the explicit and thoughtful belief that you don't believe in God

You're describing apathy. Atheism is a belief that you do not belief, not a lack of any belief in anything. It's a specific claim about lack of belief.

If you never think about then of course it's not a proper belief system, but then you can't really claim you're atheist, you just never thought about it
>>
>>79033275
ok you win he's a puss
>>
>founding fathers were christian
>lincoln freed the slaves because he believed in god
>many scientists and scholars, explorers of the old time were christian
>because they were christian they wanted to find god and the answer to life itself
BUT DUDE LIKE CHRISTIANS ARE BAD LMAO
DUDE ABANDON RELIGION UNLESS YOURE A MUSLIM WHO FUCKS GOATS AND KIDS THEN YOU'RE BETTER THAN EUROPEANS LMAO
>>
>>79033360
It's not that simple tho. You can't simply logic with religious people. If they could into logic and reason they wouldn't be religious.
>>
>>79033417
The discoverers of logic and reason were religious
>>
>Still debating Jewish fairy tales
>Current year
I thought the internet would make humanity smarter, apparently they are stubborn in their stupidity.
>>
>>79033439
No they weren't.
>>
>DUDE CHRISTIANS ARE THE REASON WE HAVENT EXPLORED SPACE LMAO

Bill Hicks waz 'ere 2017
>>
>>79033350
There is no one point where all religions on earth overlap. People might be naturally obliged to explain things they don't understand using supernature, but there is not one point where all religions agree. So what exactly is supposed to be innate? The ability to guess?
Please explain why any old religion is different from religions that originated in the modern day by a single person. There must be a quantifiable reason why people can be duped into believing things today but in the past everything was 100% genuine (even though all religions are contradictory).
>>
>>79033402
Slave owners were christian too, so I guess I should just capture the nearest black guy and whip him into submission.
>>
>>79033400
No, he is describing ahiesm, you just don't understand what athiesm means.
>>
>>79033458
Descartes, Bacon, Aristotle, all theists
>>
>>79033400
Atheism means you don't believe in god. Babies are atheists. Dogs and cats are atheists. They do not have a belief system, they just are.
>>
>>79033039
You overestimate theists.
>>
>>79033355

But then why say you don't need a word for lack of belief? It's like a constant, you either believe or you don't. And atheism directly refers to the rejection of belief that any deities exist. If you wanna talk about skepticism that's entirely different. Like saying ghosts exists and then doubting the persons claim.
>>
>>79033490
Thanks for proving that religious like you are retarded.
>>
>>79033402
Any atheist will agree that religion is generally good thing for humanity, the fact that the majority of people alive today are religious means that their societies were more successful than atheistic ones, proving that point. That doesn't change the fact that it is wrong.
>>
>>79033498
>Babies are atheists

Babies don't have the faculties to tell whether they believe in God or not

>>79033484
Not thinking about the topic at all is not atheism
>>
>>79033483
>christian countries abandoned slavery
>muslims and africans still have it
>saudis officially had slavery until 1960s
DUDE CHRISTIANS WERE SLAVERS AND SHIT LMAO
BUT DUDE MUSLIMS WHO HAD AND STILL HAVE SLAVES ARE OK LMAO
>>
>>79033523
>he says as he frantically googles the names

Why are atheists so self-assured in their own ignorance? At least religious people admit they don't know everything
>>
>>79029657
there's something about this guy that makes me want to punch him in the face. I don't know if it is the way he talks or his face but he looks like a fucking asshole to me. no I'm not a christian.
>>
>>79033574
hes british.
>>
>>79029657
I'm impressed that this discussion happened on a talk show. Why is there something rather than nothing is one of the most interesting questions and to be able to discuss this between stupid jokes and Doritos commercials is great.

Also I just want to post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORUUqJd81M
>>
>>79033536
Do babies believe in God, yes or no? You are a fucking moron dude. They can't tell whether they believe or not so we can't say they don't believe, are you fucking joking?
>>
>>79033402
>>many scientists and scholars, explorers of the old time were christian
And now they're not since they became free to work in nonsecular institutions that don't have a theocratic powers breathing down their neck. Coincidence?
>>
>>79033331
>christcucks
See it's shit like this that gets us pissed off. Because if someone was making fun of your beliefs and religion you would defend them.
>>79033417
>>79033523
Look in the mirror pal.
>>
>>79033536
But they don't believe in God. That's not an assumption, That is pretty clear cut. Until they are introduced to a belief system, they are atheist.
>>
>>79033590
oh, it makes sense now
>>
>>79033532
>Any atheist will agree that religion is generally good thing for humanity
No they won't. And they shouldn't.
>>
>>79033597
>Do babies believe in God, yes or no?

Babies don't believe in anything on this specific topic.

You need to make a specific claim about God to be an atheist: that you do not believe in God.

Can a baby reason the following?:

>God
>rejecting God

No. therefore the baby is nothing, it is not atheist and it is not not atheist.
>>
>>79030483
>Majority of people are just retarded and can be easily manipulated by fear.

That dosen't explain Buddhism, Hinduism or Sikhism at all.
>>
>>79033609
>But they don't believe in God.

They don't believe in anything.

This is like saying rocks are atheists because they don't have brains, it's a category error
>>
>>79033597
>Do babies believe in God, yes or no? You are a fucking moron dude. They can't tell whether they believe or not so we can't say they don't believe, are you fucking joking?
Are you retarded? How can you believe in something without knowing it? Atheism isn't the belief that no gods exist, it's the absence of belief that they do. A baby doesn't even know what a "god" is, so of course they're atheists.
>>
>>79033417
People are complicated. Well, most of them. We're made up of many parts in mind as well as body. Nobody is perfectly rational all the time, nor really should they be, which you'd know if you've ever taken a cursory glance at the history of the 20th century. You might see flaws in a religious outlook but there's no doubt you fail in reasoning in other areas, take certain things on faith, ignore evidence to the contrary, allow your bias to win out, perhaps more often than someone who professes to be religious. Bashing religion doesn't make you smart. Smart people might sometimes bash religion.

Why, 30 minutes since I returned to this site for the first time in years, am I already replying seriously to an edgy 13 year old from the American Midwest who're angry that their father shouted at them when they found weed in their sock drawer?
>>
>>79033400
i've thought about it quite a bit actually. i just can't find a reason to subscribe to the label of being religious because i don't believe it.

>atheism is a belief that you do not believe
this just doesn't make sense to me, feels like a redundant statement.

>>79033394
some people live their lives by the teachings of the bible so their behaviour would be directly affected by religion. doesn't matter whether the benefit or not. they act in a certain way because they think they are going to be judged.
>>
File: IMG_0595.jpg (35KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
35KB, 367x500px
>>79030535
>>
>>79033635
>therefore the baby is nothing (no religion)

i.e. Athiest
>>
>>79033683
That's what I'm arguing fuckface, learn to read.
>>
>>79033601
yeah but they are slaves to corporations and rich donors. not to mention identity politics and muh womyn struggle. remember that guy with a shirt with naked chicks on it? space-x is a fucking meme. religious barriers are gone only to make place for other bullshit. good job science.
>>
>>79033646
>Buddhism, Hinduism or Sikhism
They do explain shitting on the street and later eating oil made out of that shit tho.
>>
>>79033646
Most people prefer a shit answer to no answer at all.
>>
>>79033635
There is nothing about Atheism that means you have to reject God.

Atheism literally just means that you don't believe in him. It is that fucking simple.
>>
>>79033686
People who are religious are automatically braindead morons with no capacity for reasoning, so yes bashing religion automatically makes you smart relative to that.
>>
>>79033673
I mean, it would be dumb to call a rock an atheist, but by definition it would not technically be incorrect. It would just be really stupid, and miss the point entirely.
>>
>>79033693
"No religion" is not atheism, atheism is the rejection of the existence of God, it's a metaphysical claim. If you can't even imagine God then you can't reject its existence, and therefore you can't claim describe that as atheism.

Cats are not atheist. They are also not not atheist. They can't think of God therefore they can't reject him.

>>79033736

>Atheism literally just means that you don't believe in him

That's a belief in and of itself.

The level of basic philosophical understanding shown by atheists never ceases to amaze me. Maybe it's just American "education" at play though.
>>
>>79033532
>the fact that the majority of people alive today are religious means that their societies were more successful than atheistic ones,
People are religious purely because their parents raised them that way and go to church twice a year. You can't call those people religious really.
>>
>>79033778
>admitting that atheists are as dumb as rocks

Well there it is
>>
>>79033402
>the founders of civilizations were Mesopotamian polytheists
>the creators of the collective texts were Egytian Polytheists
>the first artists and toolmakers were Animists
Why aren't you any of those, anon?
>>
I don't believe in god, but why do other atheists have to act like religious people are retarded or ignorant? Being an atheist does not make you smart, its parroting people you think are smart.
>>
>>79033794
You're the one that's ill-educated dude. Atheism means you do not believe in god(s), you do not need to know about religion or comprehend the idea or even be a conscious being to not believe in something. Unless you do believe it, you don't. You don't have to be specifically opposed to the idea.
>>
>>79033825
yeah I forgot ricky never mocks these too. what a fucking hack. based centuries old people.
>>
>>79033825
I think his point is that pretending that religious people are inherently stupid (the way a lot of people in this thread have been doing) is ignorant.
>>
>>79033778
>rocks can have beliefs and beliefs in a lacks of beliefs

Atheist intellectuals everyone
>>
>>79029657
"You're just believing in Stephen Hawking and that's a matter of faith in his abilities. You don't know it yourself - you're accepting that cause someone told you."

did he just use the fucking Mac argument?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNO1LFQBWI
>>
>>79033838
>its parroting people you think are smart
How? Where is that in the definition?
>>
>>79033853
>you do not need to know about religion or comprehend the idea or even be a conscious being to not believe in something
>you do not need to be a conscious being to not believe in something

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>79030033
Because people are sick of retards using their imaginary friends as excuses for bad behavior.
>>
>>79033794
>>79033862

I think what >>79033689
just said fits quite well.

If you classify atheists as the lack of belief in the way that your are, and you also consider the lack of belief as a belief, how can you possibly consider anyone atheist? The term atheist under your incorrect definition would be an oxymoron.
>>
>>79033825
This kills the fedora
>>
>>79033011
scientists definitely act for self interest. they lied to us about results of dietary experiments to help the sugar industry demonize fat, as joe rogan will chimp out about. But I couldnt see what was wrong with their evidence, being uneducated. But it doesnt take education to see the logical holes in faith
>>
oh remember last year or so atheists had a gathering, something like a con or a summit that supposed to be the biggest event in the "rational" crowd and it fucking failed with less than 200 showing up? lmao
>>
>>79033794
>atheism is the rejection of the existence of God
False. It's not a belief, it's the absence of a belief.
>>
>>79033890
Does the chair you're sitting in believe in god? No because it's a fucking chair. Therefore it's atheist. It's also apolitical and asocial. It's a pretty easy concept to understand.
>>
>>79033907
>If you classify atheists as the lack of belief in the way that your are,

you need to be able to have beliefs to have a lack of beliefs
>>
>>79033910
The Christian fedoras? I mean, yeah.
>>
>>79033794

>If you can't even imagine God then you can't reject its existence

Of course you can. What kinda reasoning is this?
>>
>video about religion in general
>christfags make it about them (again)
>christfags whine about atheists even though they're still the least socially/politically accepted in the world (again)
>>
>>79030002
>you're an atheist, correct?
>yes
>a talk show host employee directs the audience to clap and cheer as a big sign lights in front of them with the words APPLAUSE
>audience claps

Do you people not honestly know how these things are set up?
>>
Might as well throw my two cents in. I was raised in a Catholic household, and I started to doubt religion when I was 15.

What started it for me was taking a World History class in high school and learning about all of the various religions that have existed throughout human history. I came to the conclusion that the only reason I believed in Catholicism was because that is what my parents raised me to believe, not because it was inherently true. If I was born in Iraq, I'd be professing my faith in Mohammed. If I was born in Ancient Greece, I'd be professing my faith in Poseidon.

I thought about it more, did some reading, and would now currently describe myself as an Agnostic Atheist, just as Mr. Gervais has. My basic worldview is that we are nothing special, just a genetic offshoot of primates that happen to have higher brain functions than other species. We live on just one of the trillions and trillions of planets that are out there, and are almost certainly not the only life out there in the universe. In the grand scheme of things, our lives are totally inconsequential, but that doesn't mean that we can't each derive our own sense of meaning from life. Everything about us can essentially be boiled down to just chemical reactions and synapses firing off in our brains. There's no such things as souls, an afterlife, or in all likelihood, God.

Though I'm certainly willing to here others opinions on this.
>>
>>79030183
The problem with most religious folks is that they make bold claims, act as if they are absolute truth and law, then get buttravaged when anyone disagrees with them. Even when the other person hold the exact same opinion, but preys to anoher god.
Hey're also the epitome of "because my parents said so!". Because that's almost universally the basis of all arguments.

They start shit out of nowhere, then get mad when you give them the troll argument of "prove it". Honestly, it's hillarious, sickening and saddening all at once.

I personally don't care what they believe. It's the fact that it's their whole existance and they feel threatened by other people's thiughts or opinions. It's pathetic.

And in casual conversation with christians irl, they've asked me if I go to church, then tell me i'm going to hell when I answer them. All the time acting like it's the most normal thing in the world to say to a stranger...
And not just one time. They do his shit all the time.

I don't believe in anything at all. No religion, not even an athiest. I reject all of it. And I don't go ariund telling people hey're wrong, or anything. I simply don't care. And to them, i'm a bad guy who needs to be proven wrong.

Now tell me athiests are the bad guys.
>>
>>79033605
Christcucks are specifically the reactionist homos around 4chan, mostly from /pol/, who sperg out whenever atheism is even mentioned and usually only follow religion because their meme board follows it. I'm fine with actual Christians who aren't impulsive neckbeards.
>>
>>79033925
Almost by definition, atheists don't really care. It's not surprising that an atheist gathering wouldn't attract much attention. Hard to get zealous over the idea that nothing matters.
>>
>>79033925
Remember that time Christians had a "Jesus camp" and they prayed to a cardboard cutout of George W. Bush?
>>
>>79033934
>It's not a belief, it's the absence of a belief.

That a belief in and of itself
>>
>>79033939
Uh, exactly. Thanks for agreeing with me?
>>
remember when feminists, anarchists and communists buried their way in atheism+? lmao more like autism +
>>
>>79033964
remember when Christians created the greatest country in the world? US OF A! YOU COMMIE C U C K S!
>>
>>79033942
>atheist blows himself the fuck out
>f-fucking Christians!

Keep going Rick
>>
>>79033400
>a belief that you do not belief (sic)
What the fuck am I reading. You retard
>theism: belief in a religion
>the prefix "A": a lack of something
Example: apolitical (not political)
Atheism (not religious)
You absolute retard. Fuck.
>>
File: 1410292929399.jpg (166KB, 1045x698px) Image search: [Google]
1410292929399.jpg
166KB, 1045x698px
>still arguing with 'religious' people who browse a porn-filled, idol-worshiping imageboard
>>
>>79033961
Exactly.
"Hey dude do you want to go to the nothing convention and do nothing and talk about nothing"?
Passing-by Christian: *tips fedora*
"Nah wouldn't want to be too edgy".
>>
>>79034005
Ah, but they created a secular country, free from religious influence, and that's why it's the greatest country. They purposefully rejected including the Christianity.
>>
Remember when follower of a religion asked his leader "Could you please explain what is this "god" that you are talking about?"
>>
>>79034018
>American education
>huuuuh, I'll just use a dictionary because I'm incapable of reasoning

Why are atheists consistently the least informed on philosophy?
>>
>>79034005
>Christians created the greatest country in the world
Yeah, by literally running away from religion
>>
>>79034005
Remember when one of our founding fathers edited his bible by cutting out all the unbelievable supernatural stuff to make it more to his liking, and proclaimed that in the future those beliefs would be seen the same as people of his day see other mythologies?
>>
>>79033943
Very basic reasoning, no surprise that idiot Americans are having trouble with this
>>
>>79033925
atheist gatherings are pretty lame. the kind of people who go to those things are the ones who have only just decided they're atheist and think it's some rebellious counter-culture when in actuality it's pretty vanilla
>>
>>79034045
>changing the definitions of words to suit your argument
Retard logic
>>
>>79034049
religious prosecution, not religion itself you commie cuck.
>>
>>79034069
>he uses dictionaries instead of reasoned philosophical inquiry building on the canon

Wanna know how I can tell you're a thick as shit american?
>>
>>79030183
t. Hume
>>
>>79030727
There are no metaphysical phenomena that cannot be defined in scientific terms though anon. If a thing exists, it can be observed. We can even observe the effect imaginary shit like god has on the brain using neuro imaging.
>>
>>79034033
>They purposefully rejected including the Christianity.

Not exactly. They created a country with a secular government, but its culture and even some of its political ideals had their roots in religion.

"That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator...."

"to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them..."

"with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence...."

These were religious men. They just had the good sense not to base their government on their religion, partially because you can't trust people to effectively carry out God's laws and because they came from different religions and it would have gotten very confusing very quickly.
>>
Why in these sorts of discussions are the theists almost always better informed and more reasoned than atheists?
>>
>>79034095
>I got proven wrong so I'll try to redirect the argument and make assumptions regarding my opponent's nationality
>>
>>79034079
*persecution

;)
>>
>>79034067
more like they are afraid of stairs. or other non autistic people.
>>
>>79034141
They aren't. There are just more atheists here, so you see a lot more idiotic posts, giving the impression that most of them are idiots. Kind of like how on /int/ and /pol/, Americans aren't actually the dumbest posters, they just seem that way because of sheer numbers.
>>
>>79034141
Because atheists today are just people who never thought about it

If you read even the most basic philosophy God comes up as a topic constantly, so it's no surprise that those identifying as theists will have been more likely to have read around the topic more than atheists.
>>
>>79034053
remember when atheists created communism, leninism, stalinism and other forms of autism?
>>
>>79034042
I don't.
>>
>>79034188
It's funny, because statistics show that it is the other way around.
>>
>>79034141
because atheists are no longer people of science and reason but twitter wars and likes and youtube and commie propaganda and antifa garbage.
>>
>>79034201
I can't recall such occurrence either.
>>
>>79034065

You're an idiot.
>>
>>79034261
Is the burger upset?
>>
>>79033934

>Before nu-atheism and atheism+
>Theist: I believe A, B, C because reasons X, Y, Z
>Atheist: I reject the belief in A, B, C because reasons, X, Y, Z

>After nu-atheist and atheism+
>Theist: I believe A, B, C because reasons X, Y, Z
Atheist: Atheism is just a non-belief I don't have to explain myself!

There is no such thing as a non-belief. The process by which you come to belief or disbelief is the same.
>>
>>79034214
IQ doesn't measure analytical reasoning ability

I doubt a mental mongoloid atheist such as yourself could tell the difference
>>
>>79034125

>If a thing exists, it can be observed.

What is Dark Matter, Dark Energy etc. I get your gist but it's not entirely true.
>>
File: 1482298012302.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1482298012302.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>79030762
One with props and shit -- yes. But more often than not they go unplanned.

Past example: Johnny Carson. Guests have described being interviewed by Carson as being in front of a "firing squad"

Current example: Seth Meyers. On a given shooting day, Meyers spends about two hours in the middle of the day researching his guests and trying to figure out questions most interviewers tend not to asks. He only introduces himself to his guest about 15-30mins before it airs.
>>
>>79034280
Jesus, fucking this

The amount of people in this thread thinking inanimate objects are atheists is fucking tragic
>>
>>79034276

No he's right, you are an idiot.
>>
>>79034045
>Why are atheists consistently the least informed on philosophy?

Millennial atheists don't believe in philosophy because it makes being an atheist difficult, so they just throw it in the trash. 21st century SCIENCE! has made philosophy obsolete XD.

If only Nietzsche or Hume had the wisdom of Sam Harris or your average internet atheist.
>>
SCIENCE IS A LIAR ...SOMETIMES
>>
>>79029657
fugg that's true, if all holy books were destroyed a 1000 years later there would be brand new gods and all that bullshit. Rickey is BASED AS FUCK PRAISE RICKEY AS NEW GOD!
>>
>>79029657
>How is there something rather than nothing?
YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ZEUS INNIT
>>
>>79032777
7 trips and no one checks baka
>>
He says that science 900 years later is same results, even with all data erased
But numbers, for example, or alphabet, which are our way of representing the world are different on different places.

Same for religions, the fact that they are different doesnt mean that they are all wrong, but different interpretation of the same reality. GOD

Debate should be, why does Christian God is the actual god, or why one god is Truer than another.
I believe in Catholicism, but thats just a feeling
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.