[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dune Reboot with Denis Villeneuve confirmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 24

File: dune.jpg (317KB, 792x446px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
317KB, 792x446px
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/01/official-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-director/

CAST EM
>>
Idris Elba as Paul
>>
Reddit: The Director
>>
>>78993507
So /ourguy/?
>>
>>78993471
Lupita Nyongo in an iconic meta-role of playing Idris Elba playing Paul
>>
>>78993521
Nolan is already /ourguy/
>>
Villeneuve is a gross shit
>>
Idris Elba as everyone
>>
>movie set in far off future
>white people still exist
>>
wouldn't it be great if he/they just try to make it as close to the book as money will allow?

don't be like David Lynch
>>
>>78993439
>The director of Arrival
This is going to be one of the best sci fi films ever
>>
wonder if American audiences are really ready to root for an Islam-based martyr cult leader that performs acts of terrorism and uses the drug trade to disrupt and control an established government
>>
>>78993748
They won't and can't. Dune doesn't work as a 2 hour movie. It needs to be at least 4 or 5 hours long.

That's why the mini series (3 episodes of 80 minutes) did the book justice and the Lynch movie did not because it was too rushed.
>>
>>78993439
I think after Blade Runner he's a meme director.
They've selected him because of pre-release hype and expectations that he can do well by Blade Runner so they get him to reboot all sorts of shit. That'll work!
>>
They will fuck it up. I guarantee it
>>
>>78993439
>Dune Reboot

just no
>>
>>78993799
Well to me, his Arrival movie had some of the best pacing when it comes to sci fi

>Slow driven
>Not an action movie at all
This is what Dune needs to be to work

I prefer Children of Dune to Dune when it comes to the mini series and COD has the least action. It is very story driven and all the performances, acting works so well.

I am sure this director will make a perfect Dune movie if he doesn't focus on action or fast pace.

JJ Abrams' Force Awakens sucks so much because the pacing is so fast.

If this guy directed TFA, then I am sure it would have been an amazing movie.
>>
>not Jodorowsky

fuck off
>>
>>78993781

they've got to 3 hours, 3.5 on the directors cut

otherwise don't even bother
>>
>>78993781
The miniseries was closer, but flawed in a few bad choices (whiny Paul, Irulan doing nothing at all) and in the lack of budget for some scenes.

You can't do the book justice in film form because it relies heavily on introspection. Worm riding, shield-lasgun nukes and crysknife duels are mere stuffing to the actual story of Paul's internal process of decision.
>>
I know it's cool to hate directors who are "in' now and reddit likes, but Arrival was a shit screenplay that Denis somehow made work

Prisoners and Incendies are all good and they could do worse, and Villeneuve is actually passionate about it
>>
>>78993853
>This is what Dune needs to be to work

It also needs to be 4-5 hours long so that pacing doesn't end up like the first half of the Lynch Dune. That had great pacing until he realized "oh shit i still have 80% of the story to tell."

If you're going to have slow pacing, you need to do more movies. Theres literally too much to explore that will just blow normies brains out.

> What the fuck is a quidditch haddorack?
> Why do the space nuns transfer brains?
> So why does everyone snort red cocaine?
> JIHAD?! MUFUGGIN TERRISTS!

Arrival was literally kindergarten level information, teaching ayylmaos to write hello. You can easily tell that story in a super drawn out slow paced way.

There is NO way to do a Dune adaption in a single movie that isn't prohibitively long.
>>
>>78993940
>It also needs to be 4-5 hours long so that pacing doesn't end up like the first half of the Lynch Dune. That had great pacing until he realized "oh shit i still have 80% of the story to tell."
I agree. I was rewatching Lynch's Dune and loved the first hour
>>
>>78993439
Do I read the whole series or just the first book?
>>
After the abomination that was Arrival, I have very little faith in this. Lynch's version was amazing, they should've given it to him again.
>>
>>78993632
Well, planets were isolated for a long long time before Spacing Guild become the norm so sure. And not like noble Houses want free travel for their serfs anyway.
>>
>>78993980
Up to Chapterhouse: Dune.

The very best is up to Children of Dune.
God Emperor is great, and the ones after that are also pretty good. But while the first ones are more self contained, after God Emperor you start wondering what is the "Danger" that must be prevented/that everybody runs from.

And you'll never get a proper answer because the author died. So it feels a bit unsatisfying.
It compensates by giving you Miles Teg: Space Badass.
>>
Frank Herbert wrote the saga continuosly with major reveals planned way ahead all the way to books 5 and 6. Haven't read his son's continuations but will soon. I wish they could do a GoT style long running series but better planned, closer casting ressembling the actual characters and the internal processes and minutiae stuff being expressed properly.

>>78993861
With ya brother

>>78993779
Also this very strongly
>>
>>78993779
You kidding? This is PERFECT time to for Hollywood to go full contrarian with something like Dune. Sadly, it also means property itself will get fucked because message will be the focus, but what can you do?
>>
>>78994027
>Haven't read his son's continuations but will soon.

Don't. Continuations or prequels. Just don't. It's like his son completely missed the point of Dune and wrote fan fiction.
>>
>>78993632
The Bene Gesserit Order manage a very long-term careful breeding program that controls the genes of the human population thorough hundreds of planets.

It's also a plot point that all sorts of populations crossed with each other innumberable times, so even if the "white people genes" got brought forth, it's out of a genetic code has bits and pieces from every other possible outcome of the human spectrum.
>>
>>78994021
Dude, when I came to that part I was like holy fuck I wish I could see this on a screen (Miles Teg Badass), I'm about to read Chapterhouse and I'm sad Frank didn't finish the whole thing himself, not too sure about his son's (and that other dude's) writing capabilities, Frank was great.
>>
>>78993853
exactly what dune needs to be is a series again. there is no way it'll work as a movie, precisely because no matter how many movies get approved simple fact it's a movie brings with it separate conditions and problems.
>>
>>78993541
I'd watch it
>>
>>78994027
>Haven't read his son's continuations but will soon
Evil Paul ghola called Paolo.
Yueh ghola, Baron ghola, Alia ghola. Everything comes back like it's freaking C3P0 and R2D2 in the prequels and sequels.

Do yourself a favor and don't. Just don't. You'll be happier.
>>
>>78993870
>You can't do the book justice in film form because it relies heavily on introspection.

Fucking THIS. The genius of the book relies in the inner monologue. It simply does not translate well to film, even if you managed to get everything to look great.
>>
Needs to be a LOTR style trilogy
>>
>>78994049
I mean technically they used his dad's notes, similiar to the Silmarillion, and I'm sort of OCD on finishing things that I've started, but yeah, I'm gonna go into it with "fanfiction" in mind...
:(
>>
>>78994021
People miss the point of the last two books by calling them "too weird" or thinking Herbert lost his mind when that's precisely the point - humanity becoming free and kinda going apeshit after centuries of tyranny under their God-Emperor.

Courtesy of pasta

Dune - charismatic and exciting.
Messiah - Heart-breaking, with a small glimmer of hope
Children - you build faith in the twins throughout the book
God Emperor - you get to hear the monster speak and it's bone-chilling
Heretic - Back to the action
Chapterhouse - rebel base, last hope vibe.
>>
>>78993781
>the Lynch movie did not because it was too rushed.
Because the studio massacred it.
>>
>>78993595
FUCK OFF REEEEEE VILLENEVUE IS THE GOOD NOLAN.
>>
It's going to be a shitty action movie with no philosophy or monologues. Oh and he fremen will be white because you can't portray Arabs as terrorists
>>
>>78994102
>humanity becoming free and kinda going apeshit after centuries of tyranny under their God-Emperor

It's only sorta apeshit. The Scattering effect was exactly what Leto planned. But so is the realization that someone needs to take control, it's just that the BG (and everybody else) are too afraid to do it after they saw the worst possible example of someone taking control of humanity.
The result is that mixture of wild, constant change, but with enough control to direct it when it's needed.
And it all had to come into place in time to be tested by whatever the HMs found in the Scattering.
And we never got to see it.
>>
>>78994082
>Evil Paul ghola called Paolo
>not Pauul
one job you FUCKING HACKS

>>78994084
I just want a movie that captures the visuals of the book. Desert sunrises and sunsets, coriolis storms, Shai-Hulud trashing random spice crawlers, the uniforms, enormous heighliners the look of the past-in-the-future universe. For the themes I still have the book itself.

>>78994167
It's funny because the whitest characters in the book are the Harkonnens.
>>
>>78994229
I always wondered if all those ancestral claims noble Houses boasted about were just bullshit PR. Like how Atreides claimed ancestry from Agamemnon, Harkonnen were Russian, etc.
>>
>>78993439
>dune movie
>with SJW still in full swing

fuck no. something like dune would be hard to make even in the best of circumstances.
>>
>>78994102
It is undeniable that his wife passing away changed Herbert, though.
>>
Tom Holland would be a great Paul.
>>
>>78994382
^this
>>
>>78994330
It's definitely not bullshit in case of Atreides (Alia is pestered by Agamemnon's memory-personality in Children), and I don't remember any other House "boasting" about their ancestry, really.
>>
File: 8361000871_53de696e2d.jpg (42KB, 475x267px) Image search: [Google]
8361000871_53de696e2d.jpg
42KB, 475x267px
Cool
>>
>>78993439

2017 Hollywood making dune movie

Get ready for

>Vladimir Harkonnen being whitewashed since he's gay
>Chani refusing to be a good wife because she's a strong woman who don't need no man
>Atreides are the goody guys because poor people lmao, forget about aristocratic virtues

And so on and so forth
>>
>>78994545

Baron Harkonnen was white in the David Lynch movie too.
>>
File: leto2.jpg (363KB, 550x1001px) Image search: [Google]
leto2.jpg
363KB, 550x1001px
Post your favorite depictions of Leto 2
>>
>>78994545
>>Vladimir Harkonnen being whitewashed
Harkonnens were white, what are you talking about? It's Atreides who were Mediterranean. And Atreides were good. Did you like, miss, the part where Leto laments that he has to live by the rigid codes of Imperial class system?
>>
>>78993439
So much for Villeneuve directing The Batman. DCcucks on suicide watch.
>>
They're definitely going to have Count Fenring getting cucked tho
>>
>>78994592
>>78994576

The other meaning of "whitewashing".
>>
>>78993439
Let's see how his Blade Runner turns out first
>>
>>78994592

Also, when does Leto I ever complains about something like that?
>>
>>78993439

Holy shit.
>>
Let's speculate how Hollywood will ruin this by inserting inane social justice commentary
>>
>>78994669

You're a retard.
>>
>>78994710

>implying that's not going to happen
>>
>>78994652
>"Our Sublime Padishah Emperor . . . "

>If the people of this decadent garrison city could only see the Emperor's private note to his "Noble Duke" - the disdainful allusions to veiled men and women: " - but what else is one to expect of barbarians whose dearest dream is to live outside the ordered security of the faufreluches?"

>The Duke felt in this moment that his own dearest dream was to end all class distinctions and never again think of deadly order. He looked up and out of the dust at the unwinking stars, thought: Around one of those little lights circles Caladan . . . but I'll never again see my home . The longing for Caladan was a sudden pain in his breast. He felt that it did not come from within himself, but that it reached out to him from Caladan. He could not bring himself to call this dry wasteland of Arrakis his home, and he doubted he ever would.

>I must mask my feelings , he thought. For the boy's sake. If ever he's to have a home, this must be it. I may think of Arrakis as a hell I've reached before death, but he must find here that which will inspire him. There must be something .

>The Duke felt in this moment that his own dearest dream was to end all class distinctions and never again think of deadly order.
>>
>>78993748
>wouldn't it be great if he/they just try to make it as close to the book as money will allow? don't be like David Lynch

Reminder that Herbert worked with Lynch on that movie and completely approved of his adaption of it
>>
dude sand people lmao

dude gary stu who can do anything with his mind magic lmao

dude old ladies in robes planned every detail of his farts for generations lmao

dune is shit
>>
>>78994732

For fuck's sake I didn't expect you to be so dishonest.
What happened right before that? Does that kind of behavior fit with the rest of the Duke's character?
>>
>>78994761
you are a shallow and base creature.
>>
>>78993632
>not a single nigger or spic in Lynch's Dune, or the miniseries.

Good guys won. We did it!
>>
Villeneuve is good but he's no Lynch.
>>
>>78994589
he's leto iii, leto ii died in a sarduakar raid while paul was still fighting the war on arrakis.
>>
>I’m always looking for sci-fi material, and it’s difficult to find original and strong material that’s not just about weaponry. A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt “Dune,” but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed.

I'm glad he was wrong.
>>
File: duncho.jpg (51KB, 300x414px) Image search: [Google]
duncho.jpg
51KB, 300x414px
>>78994806
>In Dune (1965), Duncan is described as a handsome man with "curling black hair" to whom women are easily attracted. Paul Atreides notes Duncan's "dark round face" and "feline movements, the swiftness of reflex that made him such a difficult weapons teacher to emulate."
>>
>>78994793
>I didn't expect you to be so dishonest
I'm not trying to win an argument here.

And yeah, an attempt on his son's life happened. But you can see that he genuinely believes all his charges to be equal, the way he's treating them. Remember the spice crawler thing, where he takes a risk to save as many people as he can? He's such a good ruler exactly because he doesn't see himself as superior. He was born into that role and he does his best, treating it as a responsibility and not just a right. And sometimes he wishes he didn't have that responsibility.
>>
>>78994856
technically, you are correct, but history does not remember it that way.
>>
File: Bait is the mind killer.png (17KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bait is the mind killer.png
17KB, 600x600px
>>78994761
>>
>>78994886
Big deal about Atreides is they're sensible, balancing altruism with political reality. I think Paul's father brings up how one house basically fell to ruin because they were too good or something along those lines.
>>
File: thopter.jpg (40KB, 464x298px) Image search: [Google]
thopter.jpg
40KB, 464x298px
How would they do Ornithopters?
>>
>>78994084
messiah and god emperor are even more focused on inner monologues (or soliloquies? i can never tell) they're amazing for witty observations the way pratchett was, but unlike dune or children or pratchett's stuff, those two especially are very ill-fitting for the screen.

still, i'll enjoy it if it has cool desert visuals and decent costume/prop design. i just hope the casting doesn't go full memes.

>>78994898
depends, god emperor is referred to as both ii and iii.
>>
>>78994856
While that did happen, the second son was also given the name Leto II
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-02-01-03h03m03s43.png (2MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-02-01-03h03m03s43.png
2MB, 1920x816px
No Sting no sale.
>>
>>78994830
Yet he'll likely make a better Dune movie than what Lynch ended making.
>>
>>78994886

>Remember the spice crawler thing, where he takes a risk to save as many people as he can? He's such a good ruler exactly because he doesn't see himself as superior

Of course he sees himself as superior, otherwise why would he hold himself to such a high standard compared to everyone else?

You have the very modern, almost contemporary idea that being superior to someone means you can disregard those who are inferior to you. No, a regent has a duty towards his people, not in the democratic sense that the will of the people make the regent, but that the ruler exists for the people, as in, his existence serves the purpose of following moral principles that are superior to him and by doing that he manages to guide the people under him towards the Good.
>>
>>78994925
Well, the direct opposite is the Harkonnens, who believe that things are "good" if they strengthen their rule and "bad" if they weaken it, that fear is a good way to rule and all that. We don't get much insight into other Houses except for Corrino, and Corrino do seem to live by the same rules - Shaddam seeks to destroy Leto only because Leto is "too popular" in the Landsraad (exactly because Leto is a humane and charming fucker) and he sees it as a general threat to his rule and seeks to destroy it.
>Paul's father brings up how one house basically fell to ruin because they were too good
I don't remember that, and I've re-read the first Dune pretty recently. Can you find the exact quote?
>>
>>78994997
Sadly I can't. It was about their leader who grow old and only indulged his children, who grew up spoiled and useless, while neglecting the affairs of his House. Maybe that will spring someone else's memory.
>>
>>78994995
>You have the very modern, almost contemporary idea that being superior to someone means you can disregard those who are inferior to you.
That is exactly what the Harkonnens do, and it works for them... to an extent. We don't have any real evidence what is the norm among other Houses, but I'm pretty sure Leto's disposition is mentioned to be pretty different. That's also what Kynes notices as a dangerous thing, how he inspires fanatical following through the way he sincerely cares for his charges.

>>78995064
I don't remember that. Doesn't sound a bit like altruism, at any rate.
>>
>>78994997
I think it's kinda hilarious Shaddam's gross overreaction to Atreides' popular opinion lead to the entire Dune story kicking off. Considering how much military power Imperial House held and what leverage the Emperor has over pretty much everyone, doubly so if he the Guild and CHOAM openly support him, it was ridiculous to think Atreides could've been a realistic threat.
>>
>>78995074

>That is exactly what the Harkonnens do

Yes, and Herbert criticizes this. He also criticizes the Harkonnen by stating that their aristocratic titles are the result of merchantile activity rather than an ancient lineage.

Which reinforces my original point that Herbert is praising aristocratic values and for that I'm highly skeptical of Hollywood being able to represent this well and not produce some kind of pro-democratic caricature.
>>
>>78995128
atreides were also largely an irrelevant house exporting rice and fish. fact they were honorable and stand-up guys were really their main characteristic.
>>
File: mobis.jpg (356KB, 1268x685px) Image search: [Google]
mobis.jpg
356KB, 1268x685px
wouldn't mind some of the Moebius designs being incorporated.
>>
>>78995128
house atreides was known for being very good military leaders though. while they couldn't take on the empire on their own, they could potentially be used by a coalition of other houses to to overtake the throne, or so the emperor thought. just because a royal house is small doesn't mean it isn't a threat.
>>
>>78995209
It's been a while, but I remember the fear being that Leto and his popularity had the potential to bring the minor houses to bear behind him, which would bolster the Atreides beyond their own power
>>
I feel like you can't adapt Dune well into a movie. TV series maybe but Dune is massive and can't really be done justice in two or three hours.
>>
>>78995208
No thank you - they look literally like circus freaks.
>>
>WAHHHHHH BUT SJWWWWW
>WAHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously shut the fuck up
Stop being a whiny little bitch
>>
>>78993439
Holy fuck Denis is saving Sci Fi
>>
>>78995128
Corrino's military might is Sardaukars, and while one of those is probably worth a ten House soldiers, the Houses have way more troops. Of course, transportation is a concern, it's ludicrously expensive considering the Guild monopoly.

>>78995178
Herbert might be praising Leto's values, but I very much doubt he was praising the Faufreluches system, especially considering how Baron is another product of such system. Okay, you might say Baron's ancestry was ignoble, but what about the Corrinos? They might not be as disgusting as the Baron, but they scheme and manipulate and do everything they can to gain power just as he would do.

You must also consider that the premise of the series is strictly anti-messianic. Paul has all the characteristics of a classic "good ruler" - his father raised him well, his ancestry can be followed way back ancient Greece, he genuinely cares... and yet he makes a colossal mess of the situation and after his not-quite-death his ideals are perverted and used to control people in ways that make him sick. That doesn't make Dune essentially pro-democratic (I remember BG having a pretty funny assessment of democracy in book 5 or 6, haven't gotten to re-reading those yet), but I think there's more to it than "aristocracy and rigid social orders are good".
>>
>>78993439
Someone redpill me on dune, whats it about that makes it such a cult classic ?
>>
>>78995413
It's a nice book.
>>
>>78995413
how about you just read it and decide on your own, fag
>>
what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>78995413

it's the Lord of the Rings of science fiction
>>
>>78994882
Idris Elba confirmed

>>78995208
Me in black, on the middle-left
>>
>>78993439
Watched this recently. A lot of the scenes were really disgusting, especially anything to do with the Harkonnen.

Is that just Lynch doing what he does, or is it similar to the book?
>>
>>78995413
>>78995468
Stop
>>
>>78995508
It's in no way similar to the book
>>
>>78995387

Praising aristocratic values and praising totalitarianism isn't the same thing.

You can be very much in favor of monarchy and against centralization, in fact that was basically the situation in the HRE.

Also, take another societal system that Herbert seems to praise or at least respect, that of the Fremen. It's basically social darwinism + theocracy. Whatever Herbert was doing, he was clearly not writing praise of liberal progressive democracies.
>>
>>78995530
This. He went out to create a harsh universe, and shit like democracy won't fly there. Hollywood will completely shit all over Dune.
>>
>>78994965
Sting for the Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
>>
>>78995530
Emperor rule wasn't total, though, he was a part of that complex system. And who's to say his values were less aristocratic than those of Duke Leto?

It's interesting that he respects the Fremen despite the fact that a lot of their religious beliefs are a bunch of bullshit planted by Missionaria Protectiva. I guess it's not what exactly they believe in, but how they manage to thrive in such a hostile environment.

Then again, the Jihad, which Paul resents but can't stop, was born in their psyche. I mean, one of their rituals is remembering all the wrongs the others did to them, back when they lived on Betelgeuse etc. It's like a spiral in their mind, so when it gets released everyone else suffers.
>>
>>78995598
I second this
>>
>>78995607
It's clear Padishah Emperor obviously detested being held in check by Landsraad and Spacing Guild. He really only held power because Imperial House held majority share in CHOAM stocks.
>>
>>78995644
>He really only held power because Imperial House held majority share in CHOAM stocks.
Are you sure you aren't confusing cause and effect here? I don't think it's ever stated in the original books which is which. And he also held the power because of Sardaukars. People feared them.
>>
>>78995644
And because this little thing called Sardaukar
>>
>>78995508
The grossness/body horror aspect of the Harkonnens is basically unique to film, one of the things done in adaption as a kind of shorthand since the story is too big for a movie.

The Atreides 'Weirding Way" in the movie that is a system to turn sound into physical form? In the books it's a martial art, where absolute control of a persons nervous system gives an expert in it speed and abilities that can appear superhuman to a normal person. The movie changed it to weapons because they thought hand-to-hand fighting in sand dunes wasn't compelling visually.
>>
>>78995707
That's not exactly true, the Baron is morbidly obese in the book and Giedi Prime is a dirty shithole.
>>
Unless it's a 10 part adaptation or at least a 3 hour per film trilogy AT BARE MINIMUM why even bother.

Also...I wonder if he can borrow designs from Lynch's Dune. I really like some of them.
>>
>>78993861
Jodo's too old nowadays to control such a beast again. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but he's past the prime that almost did his Dune.
>>
>>78993861
Jodorowsky's thing was fucking retarded and I'm glad he never got to shit on Dune with it.
>>
Quebec wins again!
>>
>no 12 hour Pink Floyd soundtrack
What is the motherfucking point?
>>
Kinda nervous t b h. I've been reading the series lately and I don't want it to turn into some action-packed DUDE EXPLOSIONS AND QUIPS HAHA flick. I feel like a series would have been the proper path to take.
>>
>>78993632

Do you think in the future the lighter beige people will rule the muddier brown people?
>>
File: 1.jpg (324KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
324KB, 800x600px
>>78995598
It will be the dude from grand budapest
>>
>>78993993
First half of Dune is the best Sci-Fi ever filmed. But yeah then he rushes through the rest of it. Probably not his fault. Imagine 3 films per book all directed by Lynch. That would be a good send off for one of the greatest Directors to have ever lived.
>>
>>78995814
He'd make a better stilgar imo
>>
Wtf happened to Jodorowsky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GybdZJepQU
>>
>>78995778
>no Magma throatsinging their weird shit as the BGM for the sietch Tabr
just kill me already
>>
File: duncan.jpg (90KB, 1024x869px) Image search: [Google]
duncan.jpg
90KB, 1024x869px
>>78994882
>>78995469
>>
>>78995814
it's weird you call him the guy from the grand budapest and not Salieri
>>
>>78995468
That's Foundation tho'.

Also what ever happened to that adaption to HBO? Also went to development hell like all the previous attempts?
>>
>>78995945
Foundation is on hold because Nolan is busy with Westworld, is my understanding.

A few projects seem like that. 3001 is in limbo the same way.
>>
>>78995911
Yeah, but Amadeus was a while ago, his latest work is Homeland, and GB.
>>
>>78995980
>3001
Wait wait wait there's a current project of adapting 3001? Who's doing this? Source?

Also Westworld just finished the first season, hopefully it makes the Foundation project go forward a little bit.
>>
>>78995945
seeing how their adaptation of got has turned out I hope it's dead and buried
>>
>>78996017
The source material is waaaaay different in Foundation's case. And Nolan's brother was the screenwriter in charge last I checked so it won't be DUDE SEX IN SPACE LMAO at least. I'm just worried about them fucking up the pace or the dialog-based narrative.
>>
File: IMG_0857.jpg (64KB, 425x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0857.jpg
64KB, 425x600px
>>78993439
Finn Wolfbard as Paul
>>
>>78993926
Direction was DEFINITELY the stronger point of that film, script was terrible.
>>
>>78996007
Ridley Scott is doing 3001 for Syfy.

Hell, Syfy have announced plans to do Hyperion too.
>>
>>78996046
More like young Leto II
>>
what about woody for halek or not potato face enough?
>>
>>78993439
ugh why are they rebooting dune the original was fine
>>
I'll forever struggle with the fact they'll never get a better cast than the Lynch movie.

The miniseries just felt so amateur in comparison.
>>
>>78994096
The story points are fine, it's just that writing style isn't introspective at all anymore, all the philosophy is gone, it's now only action.
>>
>>78995607

This >>78995644
The emperor clearly doesn't approve of that, as he secretly tries to go around the rules he should obey.
>>
Did the last novel suck with the asspull of water breathing sand trout?
>>
>>78993439
Holy shit yes. Unironically excited for this.
>>
>>78996212
That and I think they openly admitted they were just 'inspired' by Herbert's notes.

They had something like a 30 page synopsis for Frank's Dune 7, and ended up writing something like 12 books before getting there.

And their two book version of "Dune 7" (which is something like 1500 pages?) pretty obviously ain't what Frank was going for.
>>
>>78993507
then whom is JJ and Refn?
>>
>>78994096
>I mean technically they used his dad's notes, similiar to the Silmarillion
I'm sceptical about it, I think they lied about the notetes. the even missed what Butlerian Jihad was and turned it from civil war among humans which is what Herbert alluded to into some shitty Marix in space with human on machines war
>>
>>78996052
Oh please no.
They butchered Childhood's End, and now it's Hyperion.
Is there any brakes on this helltrain ?
>>
Patrick stewart can be gurney hallick
>>
>>78996392
>supposed to be butt ugly
>let's cast Patrick Stewart lol

Lynch go home
>>
>>78996392
>>
>>78996392

It's not like he looks any different
>>
File: 1.jpg (229KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
229KB, 600x399px
>Jihad
hmmm.
>>
>>78996463
Was he supposed to be ugly or just fucked up because of his time spent on Giedi Prime?
>>
File: patrick_stewart_a_l.jpg (67KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
patrick_stewart_a_l.jpg
67KB, 768x433px
>>78996610
he realized the secret to looking young is to get rid of as much of the facial hair as possible
>>
File: dune-07.jpg (105KB, 1400x600px) Image search: [Google]
dune-07.jpg
105KB, 1400x600px
>>78993439
The normie remake must leave!
>>
>>78995903
>>78994882
This is like that Harry Potter play all over again
Describing someone/a part of someone as dark is not the same as them being black
>>
File: atreides.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
atreides.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>>78997343
You better not be forgetting about Worf.
>>
>>78994882
i always imagined duncan looked north african/meditteranean, sort of oded fehr.
>>
>>78997379
that's from a not-canonical video game, though
>>
File: 1423031455703.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1423031455703.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Just replace Feyd, Paul and Chani with 3 competent actors who are above the age of 12 unlike these pisspoor choices.
>>
>>78997398
This.
>>
>>78993748
>don't be like David Lynch
Nigga what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQFhPJuxgk
>>
>>78997457
Bottom line is the only good part of that image. The rest is absolute trash.
>>
File: 1398474585209.jpg (26KB, 358x354px) Image search: [Google]
1398474585209.jpg
26KB, 358x354px
>>78993980
>downloaded all the books a few months ago
>don't feel like reading them
>>
>>78995980
>Nolan
Dear God, no.
>>
>>78995980
>foundation
>nolan

could they have found a worse fit this side of michael bay or something? that shit WILL be an action spectacle in space.
>>
>>78993980
the first three is a trilogy, the 4th one is a bridge, 5th and 6th are the first two parts of an unfinished second trilogy (the author died before finishing). So either read the first book and leave it there, read the first trilogy and leave it there, or read the whole thing and read it there. Never EVER touch anything written by the Brian Herbert. Seriously, stay away from that shit.
>>
>>78997544

Just read the six Frank Herbert ones. Feel free to delete the others to save hard drive space immediately.
>>
>>78995759
thank you
>>
>>78997544
>not reading Dune on microfiche
>>
>>78997457
de vries is supposed to be young, no? Cillian Murphy would be better. Don't know who would be playing Yueh then.

And I'd rather have Hawat be payed by Clint Eastwood.

Aside from the ones you've mentioned it's a pretty good cast
>>
>>78997343
This is nothing like what happend with HP
>>
>>78997457
That's one of the worse possible choices for Duncan
>>
>>78993439
>legendary
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>78993861
>his own son as the hero
dude nepotism lmao
>>
>>78997457
Ew no. Piter is supposed to be an androgynous trap. The book mentions many times that he is effeminate.
>>
>>78993507
Fuck off, hes based kino
>>
File: Dune.jpg (14KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
14KB, 182x268px
>>78993781

desu they should just re-vamp it, improve Irulan, improve some of the acting, improve CGI.
>>
>>78993827

Yup. Expect a CGI cashgrab explosionfest
>>
>>78993861
Jodo better write the second part of Sons of El Topo before he becomes one with the cosmos.
>>
>>78993507
>Denis Villeneuve not Zack Snyder
>>
>>78993507
>became popular so instantly reddit
apply knife to neck
>>
>>78993632
don't worry they're all muslims
>>
File: Duncan Idaho.jpg (57KB, 480x540px) Image search: [Google]
Duncan Idaho.jpg
57KB, 480x540px
>>78993439
Assuming it is good, and they make more, I just hope they don't go beyond God-Emperor. It's ending works great as a finale for the entire series, and the second story arc that follows is a mess anyway.
>>
File: 61q+dQRE9gL._UY200_.jpg (15KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
61q+dQRE9gL._UY200_.jpg
15KB, 300x200px
>>78999678
Just dont go to the prequels and we're fine.
>>
A part of me wants this is fail critically just like the David Lynch attempt, just so we can get hollywood to stop using Villeneuve for sci-fi films.
>>
>>78993940
arrival is based on a 20 page short story, dune is based on a long ass novel
>>
I just want muh sand worms fucking shit up
>>
>>78999753
better him than abrams, unless he fucks blade runner up massively.
>>
>>78999779
well he didn't fuck up Arrival

it was somewhat bland, but nothin outrageously bad
>>
>>78996343
> whom
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.