[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shannara

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: Shannara_header.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shannara_header.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Someone recommended this to me, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Going by the first episode, it just looks like an annoying teen romance steeped in tired fantasy cliches. Does it get better later on?
>>
i really liked the books when i was a kid, but this does not appeal to me at all
>>
>>78935256

No.

Are you blind?
>>
>>78935256
essentially its a retelling of Star Wars and Indy even down to of the Sankara stones from TOD.
it's Joseph Campbell's hero's journey
i wouldn't say it's good but i am looking forward to the second season
>>
It does get a bit better, but still not worth watching
>>
becuase Pan's Labyrinth girl has a fat ass and the lead girl is qt as well. Even if the acting and Manu Bennett desperately trying to hide his mangled New Zealand accent is unbearable to watch
>>
File: LOTS.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LOTS.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>78935256
Watch Legend of the Seeker instead. Same type of shit, only headed by Raimi. And better girls.
>>
I watched like 3 episodes of it with the gf

it is ridiculously bad, do not bother
>>
File: 1510159.jpg (100KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1510159.jpg
100KB, 1080x1080px
>>78935372
Ivana is wasting her talents on this crappy show
>>
>Start episode
>Female protagonist is challenging a tradition
>She almost doesn't make it, but hey, she's a protagonist
>She turns out to be a universally-loved (ugh) elven (goddammit) princess (end my suffering) with a chiseled and dashing love interest (fuck's sake)
>Touching the stationary mcguffin (why lord) gives her ominous visions (MEDIOCRE)

>Male protagonist loses his ma (oh the drama) and inherits shiny mcguffins (stop this)
>He leaves Snooze Valley and nearly gets killed on day one by a post-apocalyptically mutated 'troll' (can we not do this)
>Tsundere girl ranger (no more) saves him, takes his ass back to her place for no apparent reason
>Suddenly, sexual tension between the survivalist bad-ass grrl with inexplicably perfect skin (fuck this) and the incapable man-child she has zero obligation to care for

>Stationary mcguffin starts bleeding (wat)
>An original donutsteel !NotOrc demon rises from the ground and gets all sinister (crawling in my skin)

2/10 would not watch again. Lightning isn't going to strike twice, networks need to stop jumping on the GoT bandwagon.
>>
Thats the whole Shannara series in a nut shell, you just forgot LotR ripoff.
>>
It find it interesting solely because it's set in the far future in the ruins of Washington state. Loved the books when I was a kid, but they're not exactly high art. The show isn't trying to be GoT, more like ... the OC in a fantasy setting.

If you can accept that it's just a silly teen drama with some TnA and a somewhat interesting setting, it's fine. Also it's got based Gimli.
>>
It seriously used the line "It has begun".
>>
Incredibly shitty series, but I kept watching because Ivana Baquero is insanely beautiful.
>>
>>78935780
same reason for me
>>
No. The first episode is as good as it gets.
>>
>>78935340
Is 2nd season confirmed?
I really enjoyed 1st season, while recognizing it's not very good.
Eretria a super-cute.
>>
I cat sorry. Watched a few episodes and dropped it. Cloud not find a thing to keep me interested.
>>
File: shannara106_2372.jpg (142KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
shannara106_2372.jpg
142KB, 1916x1076px
>>78935256
The scene where the guy has the girl imprisoned and tells her he's going to hammer this spike up her nose until she's retarded and then rape her until she's pregnant made me pause and go jerk off.
>>
>>78935452
wtf? I love Spaniard girls now
>>
Is it ever explained why everyone apparently forgot magic exists in less than one generation?
>>
>>78937373
Palpatine did it
>>
>>78937211
That's rad, does he actually do it?
>>
>>78937211
That guy was stupid then, oxygen deprivation thought choking and strangling can cause the same effect while being more erotic, hot and less bloody
>>
>>78937419
Yes, the entire remainder of the series is just her getting creampied over and over while babbling incoherently.
>>
>>78935256
nope. it won't get better. In fact the melodrama just continues on.
>>
>>78935631
>Also it's got based Gimli.

Not any more, it doesn't
>>
File: 1482618460076.jpg (104KB, 500x613px) Image search: [Google]
1482618460076.jpg
104KB, 500x613px
Manu Bennett is the only reason to watch this show and for Lucas Till, but that's because he's hot, not because he's good at acting.
>>
>>78935256
Wait until you get to the elf nightclub
>>
>>78937913

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>78935564
to be fair shannara is nothing like game of thrones. everything you said still absolutely stands, though. even in the books.
>>
>>78935288
>>78935589
>>78935631

My mom fucking loves this series and has been trying to get me to read them since I was a kid. She even bought me the first few a few years ago.
She keeps talking about this show and wanting me to read the books and watch it so we have something to talk about over the phone. I finally started reading the first book a week or so ago and am only halfway through... but.. umm.... I love fantasy, and I don't mind when something borrows a few ideas or "pays homage" to Lord of the Rings.. but... goddamn. This is pretty blatant and shameless.

Also.. does there ever come a point when I'm going to actually LIKE a single one of these characters? They're all annoying idiots and assholes so far.
>>
>>78939915
Your mom's most likely a secret fangirl.
>>
>>78940020
Her favorite books are shitty romance novels. So it's not much of a secret.
Her taste in fantasy, sci-fi, and horror are usually better than this though.
I just keep thinking "It's only the first book, maybe it will get better?"
>>
File: 1352661224109.jpg (32KB, 353x676px) Image search: [Google]
1352661224109.jpg
32KB, 353x676px
>>78939915
Just do it for your mother Anon, she isn't getting any younger
>>
>>78935372
this

the only reason I watched it was for her
>>
>>78940856
I am. I would have stopped halfway through the first chapter otherwise.
>>
Is the first novel worth reading? Seems like a generic JRPG but Frank Herbert backed it up and is the only reason apparently Brooks has a career.
>>
>>78937913
lies
>>
File: dune-worms.jpg (195KB, 1000x742px) Image search: [Google]
dune-worms.jpg
195KB, 1000x742px
>>78940951
>Frank Herbert backed it up
what the fuck?

I fucking love the fuck out of Dune. Herbert is awesome for the way he created a whole ridiculously huge backstory for his novels, rivaling(or possibly exceeding) Tolkien.. but that is.. really... fucking odd...
Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm only half-way through the first book, and so far its a blatant Lord of the Rings rip-off.. maybe it gets better?
>>
these books were barely readable when i was 14 i couldnt imagine being lonely enough to see some shitty tween tv adaptation just because it has some cute girls in it
>>
File: Why am I doiing this.png (690KB, 880x548px) Image search: [Google]
Why am I doiing this.png
690KB, 880x548px
>watching MTV original programming past 2003
>>
>>78941170

My mistake. He defended it after everyone called it a LOTR cash grab trying to imitate the success of the 80s movie.
>>
OK TV

I need to tell you something
I watched the first 4 episodes because the girls are just too fucking hot

like really, what the fuck, my fucking dick jesus
>>
>>78941170
frank herbert was losing it by the time shannara was written, if you read his books after children of dune theyre fucking retarded garbage, he died pretty soon after (probably from cancer after reading his own shit)
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.