[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Force Awakens really need to retread everything in A New

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: starkillercrop.0.0.jpg (120KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
starkillercrop.0.0.jpg
120KB, 1600x900px
Did Force Awakens really need to retread everything in A New Hope to the extent it did?
>>
Of course not, but JJ is a fucking shit tier director with nothing new to add to cinema
>>
File: 1449870560094.png (83KB, 339x329px) Image search: [Google]
1449870560094.png
83KB, 339x329px
How else would fans lose their shit?
>>
>>78931843
It's not an expansion of the universe it's a wallet expansion
>>
rehashing the same shit is a safe bet, because star wars fans are dumb and there are millions of them

making something new is a risk because you might pull in one discerning filmgoer for every 10 star wars fans you piss off
>>
>>78931868
IT'S THE MILLENARIAN FALCON
>>
>three planets get blown up for no effect other than spectacle

what great storytelling
>>
TPM was basically a retread of ANH too but with more pointless filler
>>
>>78931958
See, the Death Star could blow up one planet.

But this Death Star will be able to blow up FIVE planets. All at once.
>>
>>78931843
It's a soft reboot of Star Wars, of course it did.
>>
It's all in the name of pottery
>>
>>78931843

it's to help us member
>>
>>78931843
It was literally Star Wars: Give Us Your Money, Filthy Goyim. Of course it did.
>>
>>78932001
Honestly kinda weak by EU superweapon standards

Has nothing on the Sun Crusher.
>>
FUCK i took the bait hard and wrote out a bunch of shit but accidentallied the tab oh well. give me a min
>>
>>78931843
Not really, but that's what the fans wanted.
>>
>>78931843

could have done without the planet blowing up machine, could have been something else this time.

i was fine with starting on a desert planet then leaving with the millennium falcon. that all felt like purposeful nods to the original trying to get star wars grounded back in "star wars" after the prequels took us so far away from the feel of the originals.

but a bigger planet blowing up machine felt like they couldnt think of a new idea and it didnt have the effect of the death star this time around anyway, hard to say why but the death star felt menacing this didn't.
>>
I don't understand why the empire needs a death star.

they have a huge fleet and an army. why would they blow up planets along with their economies and natural resources when they could just send their ships and force people to do what they say?

like, has the rebellion ever had a plan that DIDN'T involve blowing up the death star? If not, then just don't build the death star and there will be no rebellion.

This is why Empire is the only good star wars film. No stupid death star.
>>
>>78932299
It's not bait you baka, it's a legitimate question.

Which leads into the question of Star Wars hanging onto the original trilogy that strongly for Disney in the future due to everything that came before.
>>
Not as bad as Phasma only existing to sell toys
>>
>>78932427
why do countries on Earth have atomic bombs?
>>
>>78932436
She's in SW8

She has 2 scenes. She's revealed as a Resistance spy (wtf?) and killed in the next scene(???)
>>
>>78932466
you read the script?
>>
the rehash arent as bad as they seem desu.

>desert planet
first off george used tatooine in fucking 5 of the 6 episodes. at least jakku doesnt have two suns. also, the planets in the other episodes are all based off realistic environments, theres only so many you can use. nothing really wrong here

>droid with super secret stuff
this is just a generic spy/action cliche (briefcase with a bunch of shit everyone is chasing after) put in the star wars universe again. its more about the questions than the droids carrying info (wheres luke, whyd he leave etc) at least give credit for the BB-8 design

>deathstar three
okay its hard to defend this. the best i can say is that it establishes that there's lots going on in unknown space that we dont know about. since sheev taking a serious interest in unknown space is canon now all we suspect is that starkiller base is just a part of other extremely interesting things going on there.

>cantina scene
its fun . what if it was at maz's crappy apartment on nar shadda and they were just in the living room talking? (the hutts would have the apartment rigged with spy stuff then tip off the first order but maz's resistance friendly neighbor would tip the resistance off) then rey leaves to go take a shit and stumbles into the toy room and finds the lightsaber? that wouldnt have the same effect as a lively fun situation getting interrupted by a sudden battle. plus, its a cliche being used tons of other fucking movies (people doing shaddy shit hanging out at a bar). it had good character designs as well.

>obi wan jr having super secret droid stuff/getting killed by darth vader jr.

this one is a little too obviously ripped off as well but i guess its passable because it all over in less than 10 min. i could easily say its an excuse to show off new force powers (relates to there being a new dark side order) by showing kylo stop the blaster bolt

i cant think of anything else major that got ripped off.
>>
oh and ill concede that phasma was complete dogshit. my point is the recycled stuff raises interesting questions in a well delivered context.

just think about, ever since episode 3 galaxy has been a clusterfuck. jedi get rekt by their own chosen one, sith cant even openly be sith to an extent, sith get rekt from the inside, jedi manage to land successful hail mary, and bring the empire down only to get rekt by little shit nephew. not to mention all major factions power bases are btfo. basically TFA sets up the perfect 'now what?' scenario
>>
>>78932313
>but that's what the fans wanted
You mean normies.
The fans wanted something new.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.