[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: Marco-Polo.jpg (158KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
Marco-Polo.jpg
158KB, 1200x628px
What went wrong?
>>
Having Marco Polo as the main character, which basically stops in season 2. Fuck Netflix, show was just starting to get really good.
>>
>>78922966
Like Rome, it was very expensive.

Also the primarily Asian cast, while excellent (based Hundred Eyes), made it hard to connect with Westerners.
>>
Boring 2nd season, 1st season was pretty good though
>>
having a whitey as the protag

Kublai should've been it
>>
File: MP-Promo-Art.jpg (267KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
MP-Promo-Art.jpg
267KB, 2048x1152px
>>78922996
This guy comes up to your girl in the dojo and teaches her ass quong fu.

What do you do?
>>
>Marco polo
>played by a white guy
Is it so hard for shows and movies to be accurate
>>
>>78922966
Kublai Khan's story was about a billion times more interesting.

But sure, make Polo the focus.

It'd be like having a movie about General Washington as told from the perspective of a house cat.

The novelty wears off fast.
>>
File: latest.png (969KB, 804x1024px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
969KB, 804x1024px
>>78923082
What?

He was an Italian. Played by an Italian.
>>
>>78923048
More like Genghis followed by Kublai, his life had may more actual adventure scenarios like rescuing his fucking wife from wife thieves on the steppes before he was even having the thought of conquest.
>>
the racist attitude of needing a white protagonist to cater to a meme audience

it could've gone without mr. generic brunette white guy #7230
>>
File: blue princess6.jpg (410KB, 1926x1384px) Image search: [Google]
blue princess6.jpg
410KB, 1926x1384px
Mongol history not being mainstream enough.

It was a good show, wish it got renewed ;_;
>>
>>78922996
Racism, and for a show this good that's sad.

But hey at least we get more Stranger Things.....that will certainly be worth it I'm sure
>>
>>78923317
you really don't know where you are, do you
>>
>>78923317
I don't know that racism is exactly what's going on. White people don't watch Tyler Perry movies, and they still get made, just on a smaller budget.

>Sources told The Hollywood Reporter, the series' two seasons resulted in a $200 million loss for Netflix, and the decision to cancel the series was jointly taken by Netflix and The Weinstein Company.

Does China even have Netflix? What about Mongolia? What kind of numbers are they putting up?

So then, like it or not, you need white people watching to make it profitable.
>>
>>78922966
Somone's going to do a Hanibaal Barca show at some point right?
>>
>>78922966
With a big enough fan reaction Netflix would revive Marco Polo, but the longer we wait the less likely that will happen and the show was hardly watched, I'm guessing many of its potential biggest fans never even saw an episode.
>>
What the hell, they aren't going to make a third season of this show? Dammit, I really liked this one. Mostly because of Kublai though.
>>
File: Le accountant man.jpg (79KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Le accountant man.jpg
79KB, 1024x682px
>>78923459
So like Rome it's going to be realistic and expensive? Or do we go all out with cheesy CGI war elephants?

Do we make Hannibal white (causing backlash, at least until a few more years of Trump), brown (causing people to not give a shit), or black (bonus WE WUZ points)?

Have to throw historical caution to the wind for the mass market (see: shit's expensive). What kind of gimmicks and characters can we stuff in there?
>>
>>78923452
>Does China even have Netflix?
Srsly? What do you think?

Westerners don't even recognize some of the stars
>>
>>78923082
So now Italians are white? fuck, choose a side and stay with it, you call us white or non white when it's on your interest.
>>
>>78922966
Only one other axing has hurt me as bad as this one, and it was Flashforward.

Kino shows my brothers.
>>
>>78923575
>As Chinese streaming companies boost their spending, they are unlikely to face short-term competition from Netflix. The U.S. streaming service said Monday that the regulatory environment remains challenging and its efforts in the world’s most-populous nation will be limited to licensing shows it owns to existing online service providers.
-https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-17/china-s-netflix-wannabes-spend-billions-in-fight-to-win-viewers

Well, maybe some Chinese billionaire will want to revive Marco Polo then.
>>
>all these Marco Polo "racism" comments
Fucking Christ /pol/, no one gives a shit. Post your shitty bait somewhere else
>>
>>78923592
Rome was also cancelled too soon, but although there's a lot of stories we won't get to see in that series I think it wrapped up the ones that it's started well.

I just hope Vikings is safe from the axe.
>>
>>78923776
>Vikings
Absolute awful shit.
>>
>>78923718
Well it's not malicious racism, just an existing bias towards entertainment . That's not so bad.
>>
>>78922966
Nothing about the show appeals to me. I usually like shows set in the past with real historical figures but this looked too much like Da Vinci's Demons, which was like Sherlock in that Da Vinci could do literally everything ever.
>>
>>78923831
;_; it's true
>>
>>78923718
Look, it's not racism.

Just going by cast, Tyler Perry movies, BET, and Family Feud have black viewership.

Univision and Telemundo? White people aren't the primary viewers.

And a primarily Asian cast in Marco Polo? It's going to predominantly appeal to Asian demographics.
>>
>>78922966
will not watch it but i didn't envision a great man like marco polo played by nu male in front of aftereffects production value
>>
>>78923878
anon is still going on about tyler perry
>>
>>78923910
The truth is that marco polo was a fat old jew, not a handsome lad
>>
Marco Polo is classic Chinese Wuxia genre, which already dooms it to failure.

I don't know what it is about American culture, but Americans can't accept certain things as serious alongside other things. An example being that all the Marvel movies are tongue-in-cheek and adored while DC tries to make a point and is shot down for it.

In the Wuxia genre, serious political drama is juxtaposed next to fantasy elements and martial arts. This show took itself too seriously for an American audience.

Another big problem was, as many of the posters here already realize, was that the main character was a white man who barely has anything to do with the main events in the show beyond the relationship with his father.
>>
>>78923981
Italians are white
>>
>>78923932
I'll pick on telenovelas then.

You could launch a telenovela on a network in Mexico City, Laredo, Los Angeles, no problem.

But Vancouver? Fat fucking chance.
>>
>>78923981
10/10 post

What did you think of The Last Samurai and The Great Wall?
>>
>>78923776
It's great, but I hope it doesn't go beyond a 5th season. It's enough already.
>>
Why is everyone here complaining about Marco Polo being white, the guy was white. Why are you guys so shitty at creating bait
>>
>>78924090
Because Americans don't want to accept that "Europe" and "Asia" don't exist, it is Eurasia.
>>
>>78923981
>In the Wuxia genre, serious political drama is juxtaposed next to fantasy elements and martial arts.
I can think of a bunch of wuxia with no political elements. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, for the most known example.
>>
>>78924061
Oh god...
>>
>>78924069
I haven't seen the Great Wall yet, but The Last Samurai definitely suffers from the same problem as Marco Polo given that Tom Cruise being there is mostly extraneous to the plot. Its definitely a lot easier to become sympathetic towards the Samurai though then any of the Mongol characters (besides Kublai) in Marco Polo
>>
>>78924178
I keked hard. Beautiful.
>>
>>78924178
Yeah, it sucks when you first realize that "multicultural" doesn't mean everyone's interchangeable. You'll get over it as you grow older though.
>>
>>78924236
Do People not understand that Marco Polo and Nathan Algren are supposed to be our (the West's) window into their world? Why do they get so triggered about these characters being white?

I think it's because they didn't watch at all.
>>
>>78924265
You are not wrong, but that post deserves a fedora, kid.
>>
>>78924345
From their perspective they think that you should just watch their culture as is and appreciate it which I understand is a tall order since they give very little context that is understandable

Its like the liberals who say that white people performing hip-hop is appropriation, they just want you to hang out at a black club in the corner and be silent for it to be enjoyed "correctly"
>>
wait I though this was based on the book Marco Polo wrote and that's why he was there
>>
>>78922966
>What went wrong?
Nothing.
Kino isn't always marketable.
>>
>>78922966
Like most anons said here, they follow the wrong MC, his character arc pretty much like every other white-guy-go-native journey, so nothing really new there.

I think they should have improved the Chinese bits of the story. Jia Sidao and his sister are actually one of the more interesting character for me. I think changing Sidao into a mustache twirling villain halfway into the show is a mistake.

Also, maybe its just me, but i think the show feels a bit trying too hard to be like GoT with all its unnecessary obligatory sex scenes for every episodes. The Wuxia addition also a bit mixed, at times it can look cool, yet other times it feels a bit out of place (just because they are Asians don't mean everyone can do kung fu). But i can accept that.

Haven't seen S2.
>>
>>78922966
Absolutely nothing. Awaiting news. It shall return some day.
>>
>>78927164

The sex scenes aren't even good because all the chinks have itty bitty titties.
>>
>>78923410
Lurk more
>>
polo was just boring

the khan and mongol political chess games were much more interesting and of course based hundred eyes

michelle yeoh is always great, so they fixed a lot of problems in s2 but it was too late
>>
>>78923048
this is why you're not a millionaire making tv shows, you actually think westerners want to watch a primarily asian cast? HAHAHA you dumb jewish faggot
>>
>>78927164
well at least they spent a good few episodes teaching Marco Polo Kung Fu so it makes sense for him to know how to fight. It was also nice of him to make him lose most of his fights. Its kind of sad that they made sure not to make Marco the center of the show but at the same time the show really didnt need him
>>
Wow, racism as the reason for a show being cancelled, that's a new level of scapegoating.

I watched and enjoyed both seasons, but it's clear that the show didn't know what it wanted to be. There were many different tones being conveyed to the viewer - was this a ridiculous action a'la crouching tiger hidden dragon, an intriguing political epic like Game of Thrones, a fictionalized historical series like Rome? Who knows.

The show found a more even style in the second season, but the pacing of the second season bored me to tears at points.
>>
File: 1485154464001.gif (615KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1485154464001.gif
615KB, 320x180px
>We'll never see Prestor John wreck shit up
>>
File: 1472579700977.jpg (50KB, 440x429px) Image search: [Google]
1472579700977.jpg
50KB, 440x429px
>mfw

not cool
>>
>>78930240
Exactly. I'd say a grounded fictional historical series ala Rome would have been a fitting tone for this show. I think the fight scene is relatively reasonable/believable enough instead of being too flashy like CTHD.
>>
>>78930295
The crusader in Mongolia and magical evil Christian story arc is probably the least sensible part of S2.
>>
>>78927979
They already cancel it a few weeks/months ago. So... unlikely.
>>
>>78924393
>resorting to the fedora meme
>using the angry buzz word kid

Ok.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.