[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This film was practically flawless, why is no one talking about it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 10

This film was practically flawless, why is no one talking about it?
>>
You know why.
/tv/ hates black people and allows their politics to get in the way of enjoying film.
Brats on this board whine about the lack of a /film/ board but we dont deserve it.
>>
It's on my list of things to watch. I'm from Miami, not Liberty City.. I guess where I'm from is called Little River now, near Liberty City.
>>
>>78922087
We should stream this
>>
There have been a lot of threads but they all turn into annoying /pol/ boogeyman stuff. Before that happens lets try to get a real discussion going.

I saw it a week ago. I thought it was good. Not great, but good. The first third of the film was the most compelling and interesting in my opinion. I really think it was a poor move killing off the drug dealer character off screen, I felt as though that character's story had so much left to offer and yet the narrative shifts solely to Chiron. I would have preferred a story about Chiron's relationship to the dealer developing over time as Chiron comes to terms with his sexuality rather than just the focus on his sexuality.

Second and third act could have been a lot more developed, especially the ending, which felt almost anticlimatic. Really wish Chiron talked more too.
>>
>>78922087
it was not, it was very flawful. for instance, the rape scene
>>
Because we hate niggers here.
>>
>>78922480
What rape scene?
>>
I just hate that the discussion of Moonlight is grouped in with the retardation that is #oscarsowhite the movie stands on its own merits. It's sad that its going to be forgotten in 5 monthes.
>>
>>78922087
>practically flawless
It's very good but it doesn't deserve all the praise it's getting.

>why is no one talking about it?
This is pleb central.

>>78922636
Don't fall for it anon...
>>
>>78922087
it triggers /pol/

/tv/ is a /pol/ spillover board
>>
>>78922636
are you kidding? it this a meme? it was over the top and ridiculous, how do you not remember it? you didn't even see the film
>>
>>78922452
I felt removing Ali's character was a good choice. He was the only father figure Chiron had in his life, so it felt natural for him to follow his destructive footsteps as he got older.
>>
>no-one talking about it
>multiple Oscar nominations
>>
>>78922087
I can only relate to films that are about humans.
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
not even being racist but i'm not interested in the struggles of a gay nigger in our modern society
>>
>>78922087
It was such a good love story.
But did Chiron and Kyle fuck?

ITS KILLING ME!!!!
>>
>>78922087

It was a solid 7/10

best thing it had going for it was the acting, and maybe the cinematography but the kids they casted didn't look anything like their older versions

the third act could have been a little bit longer
>>
>>78923425

I'm not interested in Zimbabwean basket weaving but here I am on a website about just that
>>
>>78922087

>twoniggaskissin.jpg
>>
no one will tell me if this is better than Tales from the Hood
>>
desu I only watch lesbikino.
>>
>>78925039
Of course it isn't. Moonlight isn't THE SHIT.
>>
I watched it today along with Hidden figures. This one by far had a resonating message and was a better film.
>>
>>78922087
>gay nigger
>>
>>78922087
When is Marvel going to make the Moon Knight movie?
>>
I also noticed the color blue constantly in the film. What did that mean?
>>
I hate seeing this poster here so much so people are talking about it.

It annoys me because I don't want to see a gay black film.
>>
>>78923378
strange you relate to films about a species you are not a part of. The fil is about humans. just not the very small subset your bigoted mind chooses to accept.
>>
>>78925720
It's the warmest colour
>>
File: 1464806121073.jpg (42KB, 480x477px) Image search: [Google]
1464806121073.jpg
42KB, 480x477px
Had the feel to "Blue is the Warmest Color" at the end. So it didnt an impact on me or anything. Still a good movie
>>
>>78925722
Then maybe stop thinking of it as a movie about blacks or gays and a movie about people.

The theme is love and struggling with oneself. Everyone does that, you did to as a teenager or probably now.
>>
>>78922087
Almost everyone is and this was probably one of the best films of the year.
>>
>>78923425
Then don't watch it.
>>78923617
If you count handjobs.
>>
>>78925741
All films are about humans, its human to not want any thing to do with some of them
>>
>>78922964
blacks don't rape
>>
Because the left-wing refuse to see its nomination as a response to the #oscarssowhite nonsense, and the right-wing refuse to see it as anything BUT a response to the #oscarssowhite nonsense.

Both sides are now poisoned and nobody can walk into the film and actually judge it based on its own merit.
>>
I honestly found it underwhelming. I guess I was just too hyped up.
>>
>>78926657
>Then maybe stop thinking of it as a movie about blacks or gays and a movie about people.

But this was the problem with the movie for me, this was literally all it was about. I guess I just expected a little more content. Acting was subpar too.
>>
>>78926725
only to a bigoted mind.
>>
>>78922087
omg a black gay man how progressive!!!!
>>
>>78922087
>Gay niggers
>>
>>78925741
Gay nigger detected
>>
>>78926852
Did you read the rest of my post?

It was a movie about love and dealing with ones self-identity.
>>
File: born_in_1961_puzzle.jpg (21KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
born_in_1961_puzzle.jpg
21KB, 225x225px
>>78927887
very bad detector you have there. Hetero white 55 year old male
>>
>>78922087
So much better than la la land.
>>
>>78922452
Lots of people seem to have a similar opinion to yours, but I felt the opposite. 1st act was background; the crux of this movie was the transition from 2nd to 3rd act.

I liked the choice to not have Juan back and not even show his funeral. Adds to the dreamlike presentation of the whole movie.
>>
>>78922087
Great movie, certainly among the best of last year.

/tv/ doesn't hate it, it's just memes. If anybody actually buys into those memes personally, that's their own loss. The thought is sad that people actually take anything on these boards seriously, but some do apparently.

>>78928284
Just have to say, I watched La La Land with a lot of prejudice, only to realize in the end that, yes, the movie is overhyped, and the target audience probably is annoying, but overall it's still not a bad movie, and having watched it with a precooked opinion on my mind was a mistake. Really regret that now.
>>
>>78925722
I enjoyed La La Land despite not being a struggling straight white actress.
>>
>>78923425
this
>>
>>78927976
Doug?
>>
File: cool.gif (578KB, 483x324px) Image search: [Google]
cool.gif
578KB, 483x324px
>>78923425
>>78925722
This is /tv/ - Television & Film. Naturally, you are going to see people on here discussing various films. Sometimes, you might not be interested in the subject matter one of those films. This is perfectly OK. You don't need to get annoyed or start telling other posters about your feelings. You can just hide these threads and go about your buisiness.
>>
It has one major fault. It killed the best character 30 minutes into the movie(Juan)
>>
>>78922087
gay niggas
gay niggas
>>
>>78928996
this is all fine but OP said the movie is flawless. being about such an obscure and pity party subject doesn't imply flawlessness
>>
>>78927888

And he addressed that point. And tb h I feel a bit similar to him. He's suggesting he got misled because the movie was mainly sold as a movie about a poor gay black man instead of a story about man's self discovery. Both /pol/tards and libs ruined my expectation of the movie because they oversold those aspects of a movie and said those were its defining points.
>>
>>78929098
>being about such an obscure and pity party subject doesn't imply flawlessness
I don't follow that logic at all. The fact that some people wouldn't be interested in seeing this film doesn't make the film flawed. The vast majority of people aren't interested in seeing the vast majority of films.
>>
>>78922087

Haven't been able to see it yet, but I'll probably watch it this week.

Honestly, it looks really good.
>>
>>78922229
/thread
>>
>>78922087
someone explain the ending shot to me
>>
I thought it was pretty great but the third ct felt oddly conservative, I wonder if the main dude just didnt wanna do anything too gay? i still do like tht they turned it into that he really just wanted to be held the way men are not allowed to be held
>>
>>78922087
I hear it's really good, is it graphic enough that it's inappropriate or awkward to watch with friends?
>>
>>78922452
>I really think it was a poor move killing off the drug dealer character off screen

He died?
How??
>>
GAY NIGGERS
A
Y

N
I
G
G
E
R
S
>>
Really sad to see all the /pol/ filth getting through. I don't understand why the new people think that boards like /TV/ are appropriate forums of their bigotry. I think we all have to do a better job of cementing our own board culture so that new people don't think that this is OK!
>>
It's a pretty dull movie, though I'm glad they didn't have a Hollywood ending.

I mean it's just sort of there.

Janelle Monae is pretty fit.
>>
>>78930106
It's like a safe space for racist whites. You could never discuss blacks films and shows like Atlanta, Luke Cage, O.J Simpson, Hidden Figures, and Moonlight with someone saying DUDE NIGGERS LMAO. their ideas blocks them away from the entertainment
>>
>>78930036
There is one gay sexual scene which isn't too graphic and a very brief straight sex scene.
>>78930006
He just dies between act 1 and 2 and they don't elaborate further. If you remember the scene where the two older kids are making fun of him on the street (0:59 in the trailer) one of them says something to the effect of "Don't you stay at Teresas place? She used to be with Juan but he died a while ago"
https://youtu.be/9NJj12tJzqc
I can easily see how someone would miss that though, that's the only reference and it's a pretty quick, offhand line.
>>
Two acts of empty character going about and in the third we are.supposed to feel for him?

pretty shit
>>
>>78930106
Go back to your reddit safe space, fag.
You are not wanted here.
>>
>>78930106
You don't have to be /pol/lack to realize the film was mediocre to bad.
>>
File: you-have-to-go-back.gif (348KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
you-have-to-go-back.gif
348KB, 350x233px
>>78930976
Oh the irony
>>>/pol/
>>
>>78931056
No one is complaining about the fact that some people disliked the film. It's shit like this:
>>78922582
>>78923378
>>78923425
>>78925697
>>78927208
>>78927501
>>78927887
>>78930102
>>78930976
which is ruining /tv/
>>
File: 1448594787442.jpg (90KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1448594787442.jpg
90KB, 500x492px
>>78931058
Dumb reddit shill tries weak bait, fails terribly. Many such cases! Sad!
>>
>>78931081
>Falling for the (You) fishing.
>>
>>78922087
this thing is basically Gayniggers from Outer Space minus outer space.
>>
>>78930976
Reddit's pro Truml though.
>>
its SJW propgranda and a waste of cellulite, next question
>>
>>78922087
>dude gay niggers lmao
>"flawless"

Everybody who sucks this movies cock is just retarded. This crap was really bland.
>>
>>78931081
kys retard, 4chan was always like this.
>>
File: 1485749860323.jpg (113KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485749860323.jpg
113KB, 640x960px
It's a good movie, but let's be honest here. If it was about a gay Asian or a gay Mexican, it wouldn't get as much press.
>>
This shit is basically the Boyhood of 2016 - Gay Nigger edition.
>>
File: 180px-Bitchesradio.jpg (11KB, 180x211px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Bitchesradio.jpg
11KB, 180x211px
>>78931303
No it wasn't newfag, you have no idea what you're talking about. Back before /new/ 4chan was almost entirely politically neutral (except for Paultards and some liberals) and the racism was just light bullshit done for laughs (spamming nigger on /b/, Habbo Hotel etc). People we're just as happy to fucking racists (Hal Turner etc) as they were spamming nigger and such, because nobody took any of that kind of stuff that seriously. The culture has entirely changed since then, if you don't see that then there is no way that you were here pre /new/ and gamergate.
>>
>>78931510
>people fuck around calling people niggers and making racist jokes because the site allowed for tongue in cheek shit like that
>inbred white supremacist hicks believe they're in good company and turn the place to shit
>>
>>78931540
>Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.

you meant to quote descartes, you bumbling faggot
>>
>>78931510
>No it wasn't newfag
Oh great, another fucking idiot who thinks 4chan was some ultra liberal paradise before /pol/ was created. You fell for a retarded meme you dumb ape, fuck off and lurk more.
>>
>>78931564
Descartes never said that
>The original source for this quote, as far as I can tell, is a Y Combinator user named DarkShikari. See https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1011498
>>
>>78931582
It wasn't a liberal paradise either, but there weren't as many deranged cucks like you with their us vs them bullshit that ruined all discussion with their liberal/conservative dichotomy and calling everyone who disagreed with them a liberal instead of a dumb fuck retard
>>
>>78931510
>racism was just light bullshit done for laughs
the term nigger was used on every board, and how would you possibly know it was done "for laughs" or "was satirical" on an online medium? Unless it was specifically stated to be so, you would have no idea.
>>
>>78931564
Fucking idiot.

>>78931594
>call someone a nigger 6 years ago
>"..."
>call someone a nigger now
>"REEEEEE /pol/!!!!!"

Do you see how fucking dumb you look? You're just an idiot.
>>
>>78931582
>Oh great, another fucking idiot who thinks 4chan was some ultra liberal paradise before /pol/ was created.
Yeah because a place where pools get closed due to AIDS was a "liberal paradise". Actually read the posts you quote.
>>
>>78931606
>>call someone a nigger now
>>REEEEEE /pol/
You're a nigger, also wrong
>>
>>78931606
>call someone a nigger 6 years ago
>"..."
>call someone a nigger now
>"REEEEEE /pol/!!!!!"

Oh perhaps, who knows, that 6 years ago politics weren't as fucking invasive as it is today and people are getting fed up.
>>
>>78931594
It wasn't a right-ring paradise either, but there weren't as many deranged cucks like you with their us vs them bullshit that ruined all discussion with their liberal/conservative dichotomy and calling everyone who disagreed with them literally Hitler instead of a dumb fuck retard

4chan was known at the internet hate machine full of sexist and racist idiots for a reason.
>>
>>78931606
6 years ago you'd have people linking you to /b/ if you said nigger with no context, then again the average has has really decresed on most boards
>>
>>78931606
>>78931583
>dodging the fact that not only did you get the quote wrong, it applies to anyone claiming to have been oldfag material, because it was all MUH PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED

at least i can accept that this was brought about by tomfoolery on a regular basis and don't have go complete spastic looking for anywhere to point the finger that isn't inwards
>>
>>78931644
>people go out of their way to inject all their left wing political ideologies into all forms of entertainment
>is somehow surprised when political discussion of all kinds ends up being the norm on the website
>>
>>78931644
So its no longer okay to make nigger jokes because of politics now?
>>
'life is shit if youre gay black and poor' the film
>>
Am I the only one who feels that Trevante Rhodes should have had more awards attention over Ali? Ali did a good job (particularly that table scene) but I thought that Rhodes was on another level. It was really impressive that he was so convincing as "Little" considering how huge/unrealistic he physically is compared to the younger versions of himself.
>>
>>78931705
They stopped being jokes when every single thread which discusses content which offends /pol/ types turns into a shitshow of triggered retards seriously complaining about "cultural marxism" and "degeneracy." I would love it if this site went back to the days where it was just nigger spam and Habbo raids. That stuff was actually fun.
>>
>>78931705
>have anything involving a black guy
>ironic BLM/WEWUZ shitposting
Aha
Hilarious
Just like the thousand time you've made it before
It's fucking annoying
>>
>>78922087
I thought it was great, but I went in knowing nothing about it. The acting was fantastic.

I think this movie is threatening to a lot of people here. It must hit too close to home by touching on too many of 4chan's favorite topics to be bearable: the scary black man myth, social awkwardness/autism, drug use, kissless virgins, loneliness, closeted homosexuality, penis inspection day, etc. You'd think it would be /tv/'s favorite movie. But honestly? I bet most people who talk shit about it never actually watched it.
>>
Very good and subtle. Fucking Hidden Figures and Fences should be ashamed.
>>
>>78922087
Everything is so above average, screenplay, acting, cinematography, not better than a good indie film, it's a good film but there are and must be better films from 2016, the thing that bugs me the most about it is that everyone is so biased because it features controversial trending topics (blacks, homosexuality, poverty), forget about that for a second and just see the reality, is a good film but nothing more.
>>
>>78932118
>the thing that bugs me the most about it is that everyone is so biased because it features controversial trending topics (blacks, homosexuality, poverty),
Why? It's good that a film like this can now be made, and it's thanks to the more forgiving climate with regards to those topics.

I cannot name another film that handles all those themes, like ML does.
>>
>>78922480
there was no race scene
>>
>>78923617
Didn't they fuck at the end?
>>
>>78922229
word, great movie
>>
>>78931741
yeah I thought he was better than Ali. That whole kitchen finale was great
>>
I wonder how many posters here remember when /new/ was shut the fuck down
>>
Third act was boring. It's nice and subtle and well-directed, but we've seen this story about a shy boy trying to get the girl a million times, that I'm not impressed just because they made it a black/gay fantasy.

And it is a fantasy. The main character never does ANYTHING. One of the most passive protagonists. His mom's problems with drugs literally fixes itself. A boy likes him "just for who he is."

The last act is so long, and anyone who isn't autistic knows that they're interested in each other, so it's just boring to watch.
>>
>>78922087
because dude gay nigs lmao
>>
>>78932547
>but we've seen this story about a shy boy trying to get the girl a million times, that I'm not impressed just because they made it a black/gay fantasy.
FUCKING KEK

You don't get your ass ostracised and beaten to a pulp for being a nerd going after a girl, he basically spent 25 - 30 years repressed with one hand job
>>
>>78932547
>The main character never does ANYTHING. One of the most passive protagonists
He is literally not even a proper character, just something for the audience to self-insert to

Go on, describe young Chiron to me lol
>>
>>78932158
I think is pretty disguting that people politicize films and think a film is a good film because it morally fits whatever he thinks is good or right without being able to distinguish between cinematography and the message that's trying to convey, but whatever, if you think a good film is one that talks about the current social trends and handle them in a way that please you diminishing all the other components of a film then that's up to.
>>
>>78931510
yes it was stop pretending to be an oldfag. that's something only newfags do
>>
I hate you momma

Man that line killed me
>>
>>78932850
>I think is pretty disguting that people politicize films
Ok, but some films are obviously political. This was not.

>think a film is a good film because it morally fits whatever he thinks is good or right without being able to distinguish between cinematography and the message that's trying to convey
I think it's inspring and good that film with themes like this can be made and become mainstream film. You don't think so? But again, that's different from the film's qualities as cinema, obviously, where this film fails in my opinion, but even so - I can be happy this was even made in the first place.

>if you think a good film is one that talks about the current social trends and handle them in a way that please you diminishing all the other components of a film then that's up to.
So, because people are now accepting towards gays, films like these shouldn't be made because of it? Why are you so patronizing with regards to its narrative themes and content?
>>
>>78932718
?
Young Chiron is coming from an abusive family. He's quiet and avoidant, OBVIOUSLY. Plus he's developing his sexuality in a world that doesn't accept faggots.
>>
>>78933075
I, as a person coming from absuve family, have more character traits than being quiet. I for instance, have hobbies and points of interests. Tell me about Chiron's hobbies, point of interests, character traits?
>>
>claim nigger film is good, without discussion
>"wtf why isn't it more popular"
>must be WAYCISM

Get taste you racemixing dumbass
>>
>>78933069
I know is not a political film but you are politicizing the whole thing, I don’t believe it’s inspiring and good because that’s not I what I identify as inspiring and good, I’m able to form my own opinions without using people as moral machines, You use the film as an instrument to fulfil your necessity of justice (“It's good that a film like this can now be made” “I can be happy this was even made in the first place” “good that film with themes like this can be made and become mainstream film.” “So, because people are now accepting towards gays, films like these shouldn't be made because of it?”) I think there’s a word for that: propaganda, see that’s what I say you are politicizing the whole thing, the good thing about this is that you recognize the cinema quality which was my main point.
>>
>>78933388
Propaganda? Man you are wild. I'm just happy for the gay niggas out there that this film could be made even in the first place.

>politicizing the whole thing.
I don't consider it a political film. I'm just happy it was made.
>>
The writing is so good that it almost feels wasted on such a simple story.
>>
>>78926852
You're focusing way too much on the fact that he's gay and black. Yes, those are parts of his character, but in the end of the day it's a pretty simple story that a lot of people can relate to regardless of race or sexual orientation. It's about a guy who gets alienated from other people because he's different, then feels pressured to become something he's not as he becomes an adult because of how he was raised, the people he surrounded himself with, and the environment he lived in.

Like the other anon said, you have to approach it as a movie about people and not focus solely on him being gay and black
>>
>>78922087
>why is no one talking about it
except for literally fucking everyone
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.