[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peter Jackson's Hobbit films

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

What did everyone think of pic related? Just marathoned all three.

I've heard mixed things about them but I personally thought they were all right. As a huge fan of the book/s I didn't like some of the changes that were made (ie having the dwarves and elves actually fight each other in the extended edition of Battle of Five Armies, kili and fili dying to their own weakness in combat as opposed to dying while defending their uncle Thorin's corpse like in the book), and I thought that some of the action scenes were too "Hollywood"-esque, but otherwise they were pretty entertaining at the least. I did like the music and special effects.
>>
>>78914487
If you want an honest opinion they were ok. Since star wars is dead and harry potter is over they were at least watchable compared to the franchises now
>>
>>78914487
an unexpected journey was fine, the second one was worse, and If I've been in the third one on my own, it would have been the first I would have walked out of. absolute trash, below videogame movie tier, below marvel tier and warcraft was probably even better, though I havent seen that one
>>
I think some people expected to be as good as LOTR and got disappointed. It's a kid's movie based on a kid's book. For what it is, it's watchable.
>>
they didnt focus on the main character enough. especially the last one was a clusterfuck.
freeman did a good job but the "awkward bilbo" was a bit off at times.
>>
>>78915486
Personally I thought that it was an adult's movie based on a kid's book. The extended edition of Battle of Five Armies actually got an R rating due to all the gore, and a lot of the stuff with the orcs and Azog didn't really fit in the film.
>>
>>78915491
>awkward bilbo
That's not awkward Bilbo, it's just awkward Freeman. He can't act in another way.
>>
massive disappontment unfortunetally
>>
>>78915436
Captain America Civil War was another movie that I thought was entertaining to watch, but had less substance than the hobbit. Otherwise the marvel films are good for killing time. What exactly makes you hate them so much?
>>
>>78915491
I always thought that Bilbo was way too confident, especially in the first movie. That scene where he jumps into the middle of the orc pack to try and save Thorin despite being hopelessly outnumbered was completely stupid.
>>
>>78915582

>What exactly makes you hate them so much?

I dont want to express my hate I just wanted to point out that the third hobbit movie was just as brainless as marvel movies, but executed worse. I juust dont like the kind of movies marvel make and I havent seen a bunch of them. but I can see thery were executed better than the last hobbit. what I mostly don't like about marvel movies is the humor, just not my type, and the purposely clumsily edited action scenes.
>>
>>78915815
I see. What exactly do you mean by execution though? I thought that the third hobbit film at least had fantastic visuals and music, and had more character development than the marvel films (bilo, thorin, bard, thranduil were okay characters).

The humor in the third hobbit was way worse than the marvel films, but at least it wasn't as prominent as in the first hobbit film. Some of the lines in Civil War weren't that bad I thought, but otherwise the humor was really more of an afterthought.
>>
>>78915960
the action looked extremely cheap to me to be honest. it looked much worse than lotr and I can understand the characters, music and story not being as powerful as in LOTR, but at least it shouldnt look worse 10 years later. too much CGI, generic action, generic shots, everything looked the same, nothing stood out. I dont have the strongest memeory of it since the last time I watched it was when it was out in theaters, but all I can remember is that it was really bland and dull

the only specific scene I remember is legolas jumping around on falling cgi bricks and all I could do was roll my eyes what a retarded attempt of being epic that is
>>
>>78916227
I see what you mean. That legolas scene was pretty much the worst in the entire movie. The additional action scenes they added in the extended version added some variety I thought, but otherwise they could have edited the film a bit to make the scenery different (everything was light blue and grey).
>>
The first one was pretty good, even with all of the extra added shit but then it just progressively got worse and worse. The second one was tolerable but the last... WTF?
>>
BEST CHARACTER COMING THROUGH

ALFRID LICKSPITTLE
>>
>>78916759
thanks for the memory of him dressing as a woman. didn't need that. no one did in fact
>>
>>78916759
WIWLL NOUBUHDDY FINK OF DA CHILDREN?
>>
File: B7aC0JuIEAA4eND.jpg (35KB, 600x270px) Image search: [Google]
B7aC0JuIEAA4eND.jpg
35KB, 600x270px
>>78916809
Not every man's brave enough to wear a corset.
>>
>>78914487
Peter says in the making of documentary's that the final movie is not at all a hobbit movie. He had no time to film the final battle and put it at the end of the second movie so he had to write it into basically just a war movie.

If you watch the appendices you can see that they in no way sugar coat their short comings but I think you will appreciate the movies more if you know how much of a fucking unbelievable up hill climb it was to make for him and his team. The fact that he even finished them is impressive and I think the good parts of the trilogy out weigh the bad
>>
>>78914487
Won't see them as a matter of policy

It was origionally supposed to be one long movie but once I heard it was being split up into 3 I knew they were milking it and they would be shit.

And it turns out they were cgi-fest war movie with lots of filler that wasn't true to source material

So fuck it I'll probably never see it
>>
>>78914487
all 5/10
>>
>>78917004
5-6/10; 4-5/10; 2-3/10
>>
File: 1484496191252.webm (3MB, 1024x427px) Image search: [Google]
1484496191252.webm
3MB, 1024x427px
>Mixing in GoPro footage
What were they thinking?
>>
>>78916899
Personally the problem is that he didn't know what he was doing. It started out as one movie, then two, then all of a sudden three with extended editions released a year later.

They actually took a break from filming for a few months because Peter literally had no idea what to do for the entire battle, so they sent everyone home while Peter and Fran worked on the storyboard. The issue is that they should have known exactly what they wanted to make before they started filming. Regardless, it definitely took a lot of talent and hard work to make the films come together and the sheer scale of the movies is just astonishing.
>>
>>78917071
Wtf? I don't remember that. What a terrible choice.
>>
It's harder to flesh out 13 characters own separate personality in a movie than in a book, so I blame Jackson for half of the dwarves being unmemorable and just in the background. But the azog and the female elf were a bad idea. Should not have been included.
The scene with the goblins inside the misty mountain was shit. Just terrible shit. They shouldn't have been cgi and it shouldn't have felt like a light hearted ride at universal studios.
Riddles in the dark scene was good but I felt like it should have been creepier.
Radagast and Beorn were both badly represented in the movie. Especially Beorn, he's supposed to be this really intimidating and unique shapeshifter and he should've had a bigger part in the movie.
The part where they were in Mirkwood forest should've lasted a lot longer and it should've included the several nights where they would approach the dining elves who would just disappear.
I understand why Legolas was in the movie. It would've been weird if he wasn't. His dad was well cast but was badly written.
There's so much more to say but I don't want to type out all of it.
>>
>>78917374
don't blame*
>>
>>78914487
>I thought that some of the action scenes were too "Hollywood"-esque
random unnecessary fight scenes against orcs compose half the movie
>>
>>78914487
As someone who's actually read JRR tolkiens books I thought they were utter trash.
>>
First two were surprisingly good

Third one had a few problems but otherwise not bad

I like fantasy and there's precious little quality fantasy movies out there so I'm fairly forgiving of its faults
>>
>>78917374
in the book the Dwarves weren't memorable either
>>
The book description of the battle of the Five Armies was the perfect example of why a visual adaptation can be a good thing. Tolkien was super brief describing in a paragraph or two how Thorin got surrounded by orcs, how Kili and Fili died defending him, how he got stabbed by a bunch of spears, then Beorn comes in and pulls his mortally wounded body to safety, and then goes back and murders the fuck out of Bolg and his bodyguard and singlehandily turns the tide of the battle. That would have made for a great action sequence.

But no, Thorin gets a boring fight with Azog, Kili and Fili die far away from him, Beorn shows up for like 2 seconds, and it's fucking Legolas who kills Bolg.
>>
>>78914487
They were as good as they could possibly have been given the studio interference and strict "one movie every two years" deadlines.

As someone who's been reading Tolkien almost yearly since grade 4, it was a solid 7.5/10 trilogy. Lots of issues, but forgivable ones.
>>
>>78914487
I wish that romantic subplots and those who like them would die.
>>
>>78917374
I agree completely. In theatre class a few years back I actually had to film a version of the riddles in the dark based on the book, and I tried to make it as dark and creepy as possible. The movie came out a few months later and I was completely disappointed by how the movie did it. They turned Gollum into an autistic circus freak while making Bilbo a typical Martin Freeman character.

Azog detracted completely from Smaug and it doesn't make sense as to why an orc is physically much stronger than a dwarf (Thorin of all dwarves).

Radagast was an okay character considering they had barely anything of him in the book to go off of (except that he was obsessed with plants and animals, which they captured well). Beorn was criminally underused and never had any of his character shown. The scene in the fifth movie where the eagles drop him into battle like some sort of SEAL team six aerial insertion commando was ridiculous.

All of the orcs should have been real actors and not CGI. The lord of the rings orcs just look so much better compared to the hobbit ones.

Thranduil's actor did a pretty good job but his lines were terrible and his acting direction was bad in the second movie. He seemed more like an edgy gay ballet dancer than a powerful elf king.

Legolas being in the movie could have been better if his action scenes weren't ridiculous.
>>
>>78917534
Not only those, but also some of the really unrealistic action sequences, like Bombur in his barrel rolling down a hill and miraculously crushing fifteen orcs, Legolas jumping up falling stone blocks in the third film, the wooden platform falling down the cliff in the goblin tunnels, etc
>>
>>78917786
Kili and Fili dying far away from Thorin on a suicide mission was a terrible choice. It would have made more sense for them to die with honor defending their uncle.

I thought that having Thorin die while fighting one-on-one was a good choice, as it made him seem like he was dying with honor rather than getting ganked by a bunch of lesser orcs, but his fight was rendered pointless by a villain who shouldn't even have been in the movie.
>>
>>78914487
first one was the only passable film in the series.

second was bad.

third was complete shit.

that forced romance between the one dwarf and that elf girl was stupid and cringy.

legolas was basically mario in one pure kino scene tho :^)
>>
>>78917071
Link? Can't view webm on iPhone mane
>>
File: 1448140090004.jpg (135KB, 1134x815px) Image search: [Google]
1448140090004.jpg
135KB, 1134x815px
>Go north. Find the Dunedain. There’s a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good friend. His son might grow to be a great one. He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself. Legolas! Your mother loved you.
>>
File: 1401046822346.jpg (184KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1401046822346.jpg
184KB, 500x370px
>>78918135
>Go North, by which I mean West because there's fuck all North of here but more dragons and then more fuck all and then snow, find the Dunedain, who I know you're intimately familiar with because we both remember the entire history of mankind. There is a ranger among them, you should meet him, he's ten years old so he's still living in Rivendell. His father Arathorn was a big guy, for me, which you know already, his son may be a big guy, for you. He will be known in a little shitburg town you'll never visit as Strider, I'm not telling you his real name but it rhymes with Arathorn and he's the only ten year old human in Rivendell, probably. Legolas, your mother loved you, which of course you know because you spent thousands of years together and as we're empathic elves I don't think we're capable of not loving our children, but maybe in AD&D or Warhammer or something we'll look like assholes.
>>
after 2nd one I have no intenetions of ever watching 3rd
>>
>>78917962
https://youtu.be/JTSoD4BBCJc
I was so hyped when this trailer came out years ago. I must've watched it like 300 times. But sadly it was misleading and the tone of the movie was nothing like the trailer.
>>
>>78914487
first was meh
second was pretty bad
third was atrocious
>>
File: 1484551851860.jpg (20KB, 284x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484551851860.jpg
20KB, 284x281px
>>78916851
Looks like the Osgiliath level of the RotK videogame.
>>
>>78917071
No idea but it looks even worse on bluray quality. You are watching a movie and then suddenly you are watching national geographic. Cutting out those 2 seconds of footage couldn't have been that hard.
>>
>>78915486
This. I still think three movies was a mistake.
>>
>>78919933
If they had just made it one movie and given them proper time to do It things might've turned out alright. That said unexpected journey is still pretty comfy, but the other two are almost unwatchable.
>>
>>78917071
Jesus, is this real? Who approved of this?
>>
They had a lot of promise but then the last movie fell apart. Too much legolas. Too much Alfrid.
>>
>>78914487
For me it didn't capture the essence of the books. It tried too much to make it into an action fantasy rather than just a series of adventures on a quest.

The climax of the book is the confrontation with Smaug and in the movies they bisected it. Half at the end of the second and the rest before the opening title of the third.

Focusing the whole third movie on that battle that I don't even recall from the books. I know it's in there but ask anybody and the part that sticks out in their mind is the dragon.
>>
Awful padded garbage. I only saw the first one and it was 45 minutes too long. And I like the LOTR special editions.
>>
>>78915960
I thought the Lead Dwarf was developed terribly. He suddenly develops gold list and goes all wacky doodle, then has a cray vision about drowning in gold and just as quickly is cured.
>>
>>78916899
I appreciate the pressure Peter was under and how little prep time he had but that doesn't change the films being let details downs.
>>
>saw the first in the cinema
>pirated the second
>didn't even watch the third
>>
File: 1390072696650.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1390072696650.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
I really enjoy the first movie.
The next two are mediocre-bad with only a couple of good scenes.
It was the only thing I looked forward to in High School no matter how bad they were going to be. A part of me will always truly love some of the Hobbit movies.
>>
>>78914487
It's superior to the original LOTR Trilogy because it's more fun, has better characters, and a more interesting story.

The only ones will disagree are dorks obsessed with the dull books which they expect both series to copy word for word, and autists blinded by nostalgia because they pretended to be Legolas on the playground.
>>
>>78914487
Decent fantasy films.
Nothing like the book.
>>
>>78922559
>>78922481
>>
the physical comedy was incredibly bad and confusing
>>
I enjoyed them as middle of the road fantasy films.
Its no LOTR and no The Hobbit (book) but the lack of high medieval fantasy films made me crave something like this.
>>
>>78916759
Fucking hell.
>>
>>78917071
I think they should've just used a gopro for the whole scene. It all looks dismissably fake and uncanny except for the shit-quality gopro footage, which actually has presence.
>>
>>78922481
They're terrible movies because they're padded with non-sequitor horsecrap in a transparent studio-driven effort to recreate the cash cow of the LOTR trilogy. Those movies had to cut out huge portions of what was in the book in order to keep them from being an unwatchable slog. The hobbit movies raided ever scrap of garbage tolkien ever wrote and stitched it randomly onto the final film.

You don't have to have any connection to the source material to watch those movies and notice how they awkwardly shift into completely unrelated sidestories, killing the pacing and boring the audience to death.

But if you're a manchild retard on /tv/, I could see how you would like it because it's "fun".
>>
File: 1485722327082.png (159KB, 477x359px) Image search: [Google]
1485722327082.png
159KB, 477x359px
They were mediocre, 3 movies that easily could have just been 1 or 2 instead. Also Del Toro fucked things quite a bit and Jackson admittedly was just guessing his way through the whole mess. These types of movies require extensive preproduction with a director who is hands on as possible, Jackson came into at the 11th hour and basically told them to remove any Del Toro influence from the movie and make something completely different.

The studio wanting suck the money dick of Tolkien movies dry till they can get their hands on the rest of the properties after Christopher dies didn't help either.
>>
>>78922177
At least he had an arc, which is more than can be said for every other dwarf except for maybe kili (who falls in love with tauriel the elf)
>>
>>78922998
triggered
>>
>>78914487
The first movie is the best because it works on it's own while also setting the stage for an ongoing adventure.

We meet Bilbo and understand that he's a homebody and reluctant adventurer. Thorin doubts Bilbo and isn't sure Gandalf has made the right choice of burglar.

The movie includes several of the books best set pieces; The absent minded trolls. Capture and escape from the Goblin King. The game of riddles with Gollum.

The movie gives us a decent villain in the form of the Orc chief Azog who killed Thorins father and who in return chopped off his forearm, setting up their mutual hatred.

When the confront each other at the cliff near the end we know who they are and why they hate each other.

And when Thorin is wounded by Azogs warg Bilbo steps up and saves Thorin, finally proving not only his cleverness but his bravery in Thorins eyes.

Then in the second movie they send Azog away to see Saurons and the company of Dwarves does battle with waves of unnamed Orcs. It turns into a videogame because the protags have no relationships with the hordes of orcs. They double down in the third movie by turning it into a giant CGI war.

TLDR: First movie, best movie.
>>
>>78918198
that was great
>>
>>78923668
The first one is very good. It would be on par with the LOTR trilogy if its source material was as rich (Hobbit is more of a kid's book, nothing wrong with that).

The scene with the dwarves around the fire singing about home was fucking KINO

The second one was okay. Smaug and Gollum made a pretty bad movie into an okay one.

The third one was really bad. Moving Smaug's death to the beginning of the third movie was a disaster. The battle was pretty bad and all of the scenes with Bard and his family and Alfred were unbelievably bad. The only good things in this movie were the acting of Thorin and Thranduil.
>>
>>78923668
>And when Thorin is wounded by Azogs warg Bilbo steps up and saves Thorin, finally proving not only his cleverness but his bravery in Thorins eyes.

That scene actually led to a great interaction afterwards between Thorin and Bilbo ("Never have I been so wrong" etc) but the entire premise of that battle scene with Azog was stupid. Why would Bilbo charge blindly into a pack of orcs surrounding by fire just to stab one of them? Did he not think that Azog would immediately kill him?
>>
>>78914487
It made me understand prequel hate.

I PrequelHate this bullshit awful fable about getting what you wish for.
>>
First movie was good
Second movie was meh
Third movie was Emmerich-tier awful
>>
>>78915436
I'd agree. The first one was great, but I didn't care for the azog parts.

Smaug had too much fan fic elf girl action.
>>
>>78917786
>>78918077
What really bugs me about the whole Azog thing is that not only would having him stay dead in the past have been book accurate, but having Bolg be Thorin's nemesis gives you a more compelling cycle of revenge thing going on.
>>
>>78914487
First one is super comfy. Watched it in one of the theaters where ushers bring you meals and booze and I left feeling like the most relaxed man in the world.

Second was so so. I liked the city of Dale, minus the fat homo and his lackey. The barrel ride was a jarring indicator of the garbage that was to come and the forced romance was gayer than cum on a mustache but the elven forest and city was kind of neat.

The last movie was one of the most appallingly awful things I've ever seen. My then girlfriend who is the most positive cheerful person in the world couldn't think of a single good thing to say about it. I was almost in shock leaving the theater, that such a travesty was allowed to leave a studio for the big screen with such an incredible lack of any redeeming for qualities. I still can't wrap my mind around it. The CGI, the dialogue, the unbelievably godawful alfred: it was a perfect storm of dogshit and lazy unprofessionalism. I still can't believe it.
>>
>>78923933
I thought Azog functioned as a decent antagonist for the first movie.

The next two were lacking that outside of the unnecessary plotline about Sauron returning which was only there to connect the hobbit to LOTR. As if the connection between the two needed to be made clear?
>>
>>78924301
Jacksons LOTR films are the only franchise my whole family goes to, probably true for most Kiwis, but we walked out of the third one totally underwhelmed.

Smaug is very clearly the climax of the story but they bisected it and focused the third movie on what? Dispute over who has rights to the castles strategic position? Yawn.
>>
>>78924301
I don't think it's cynical to say they added the one dimensional lady elf and the love triangle subplot in a bald faced attempt to get women to go see a fantasy movie.
>>
>>78924653
I think that's exactly the case, but it was done so poorly, it comes off as a slap in the face to anyone with the slightest amount of brains. Every chick I knew that saw them was as disgusted by it as I was and most of my girl friends are complete plebs when it comes to movies. Although I am too, to be fair.
>>
4/10 trilogy ruined by meddling for a big cash grab

The movies would have been better of being made before LOTR because then they wouldn't have a reason to try and grab LOTR fame
>>
>>78924739
It's pretty insulting. If we put a chick in the movie and have her unable to decide between two handsome men, women will flock to see it!

I don't even remember how it was resolved.
>>
>>78924578
Yeah I was legitimately upset after walking out of the third one. That had the potential to be a strong trilogy if the last movie was decent. But damn, that was a slap in the face.
>>
The real reason it gets railed is because when we were younger LOTR movies were the shit so we went and read the books for more middle earth and realized how much the movie fucked with it but we forgave it because we were attached to the universe already. Hobbit trilogy just made us see it with an adult mindset and see first hand how a book could be gutted like a fish. The LOTR movies are just as shitty and hammy, search your hearts you know it to be true.
>>
>>78924903
only 90s kids will remember
>>
>>78924903
I prefer to not think this way.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.