[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Perfect films dont ex.....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 14

File: the-thing-poster.jpg (247KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-poster.jpg
247KB, 1000x1500px
>Perfect films dont ex.....
>>
-is Childs the thing? I feel like Macready being the thing would be a stronger twist
>>
>>78885411
this is the worst meme ever. please stop
>>
Neither does Candleja
>>
>>78885451
They are both the Thing, that's why Mac is laughing
>>
>>78885486
oh fuck
>>
I agree

>Deep Red
>Blair Witch Project
>Electric Dragon 80.000

They are among us
>>
>>78885411
God I wish Eric Roberts had a cameo in it
>>
>>78885451

There actually never was a thing. If you pay attention you can see that after MacReady loses the game of chess to the computer he embarks on a rapid descent into psychotic insanity.

The film is basically a MacReady fever dream of hallucinations, paranoia and murder. It's a poignant critique of the extrapolated effects of isolation on the human psyche... A commentary on the isolation we impose on ourselves every day.

I mean it really couldn't be more clear but I guess, like most, it just went right over your head and you took everything literally.
>>
Somehow this movie was me and my brother's favourite movie from about the age 11 onwards. Every sleep over that age onwards, we'd always bring this movie out.

Been spreading the kino from the age of 11.
>>
>>78885486
spoopy
>>
>>78885411
>tfw the videogame is almost as good as the movie.
>>
File: 1485407512903.png (88KB, 634x566px) Image search: [Google]
1485407512903.png
88KB, 634x566px
>>78885451
We solved this like 2 days ago

Childs was a thing
1. It's clear he was lying about seeing Blair
2. His coat was different and has been proven with many scenes of him lit only by fire clearly wearing a blue then beige coat
3. He had no breath
4. MacReady had a flamethrower under his blanket
5. Childs is dead in the (canon) Thing video game
6. Childs drank whiskey without even thinking twice about infection

Childs was the thing. The End
>>
File: thing.jpg (110KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
110KB, 728x409px
>>78885924
you are fucking retarded kill you are self
carpenter was fucking trolling and contradicting himself for 35 years now
no breath hurrr he has fucking breath only its in shadow and hard to see
he just wasted a mad fucking monstrosity of course he is armed
game is noncanon
they know theyll freeze to death and there is no escape, last drink is very much in fucking order
>>
>>78886017
So you still can't disprove his coat or his clear lie about Blair. The game is canon and yore fucking retarded to think you can overwrite the creator. I'll give you the breath not meaning much because of Bennings, but it's clear Childs was a Thing.

You're wrong and being mad won't change it
>>
When the Thing multiplies are they two separate entities, or are they both controlled by the "original"?
>>
>>78885486
SPOOKY
>>
>>78885924
>>78886017
>>78886147
you plebs, clearly this>>78885486 is the only explanation
>>
>>78886172
It doesn't multiply, it assimilates. It becomes you and all extra mass is probably used as fuel for the act itself
>>
>>78886172
they're seperate, they don't have a single hive mind or anything.

maybe macready was so quick to kill aliens because it wanted to be the only one left to rule the roost
>>
File: the-thing-ufo.jpg (190KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-ufo.jpg
190KB, 1920x816px
>>78885411

What a glorious movie this.

The paranoia, the fear, the Ennio Morricone soundtrack, the acting, the dialogue, the monster, the environments, the ending, the lack of women, the zero fucks given animal violence, the gore, the mind games, the puppetry and special effects.

What a fucking master piece of a movie this film is.
>>
File: 1313692651895.jpg (93KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
1313692651895.jpg
93KB, 576x384px
>>78886274
>tfw saw it with a buddy a few months ago in the army
>"well I didn't like it anon"
>>
File: fmjacket.png (479KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
fmjacket.png
479KB, 800x453px
>>78886404
I hope you did the right thing.
>>
>>78886404
eh I didn't really care for it either. I don't think it's bad but overrated.
>>
File: Childs-Thing_(CoF)_-_Profile.png (582KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Childs-Thing_(CoF)_-_Profile.png
582KB, 500x500px
Anyone read the comics?
>>
>>78885411
ist

Fuck the fucking thing it's such a fucking overrated movie holy fuck horror movies are shit
>>
>>78885473

That takes me back.
>>
>>78885469
Honestly the whole website is nothing but nigger Twitter memes now
>>
-st
>>
>>78886147
they didnt see each other why the fuck wouldnt he think mac was trustworthy?
if you think the game is canon everything you say is disproved you bellend
>>
>>78887331
He was still standing guard by himself right next to where Blair-Thing was hiding, ran out into the snow right before the generator went out and came back right after the end. Why would he have not gone back to Mac, Garry, and Nauls when he "saw Blair" and if he was lying because Mac might be a thing he could probably come up with a better excuse than "I ran off to fight it alone"

Again, being mad doesn't make you right
>>
>>78887632
and spouting shit doesnt make you right
>>
>>78888461
No, but all of the evidence I've provided that has yet to be disputed does

Childs was a Thing and if you can't accept something with so many clues pointing to it I'm sorry.

The better question is when everyone was assimilated
>>
>>78885411
Perfect winter movie
>>
>>78886274
>the lack of women,
lel
>>
>>78885924
I like the theory that Mac actually gave Childs one of the molotovs to drink and Childs just downs it because as a thing he has no concept of taste. After he drinks it, Mac laughs a bit because his theory has been proven right.
>>
>>78885510
Kys, Blair witch my ass
>>
Was Childs infected or eaten by Thing and then replicated? Why are the coats and boots so messed up for those two eerie tracking shots of the hallway and Childs' position? If it was just one coat missing, then I'd say Childs was definitely duplicated, but the coats are just all over the place compared to the previous shot. Was it a continuity error and hiw did is slip by Carpenter in editing and post-production, considering it's probably meant to be a key clue. Why the goof?

In all the brutal honesty, Carpenter sacrificed a lot of of logic, continuity and "rules" in order to create paranoia and dread. The fact there's so many theories, options and schools of thoughts on various topics and details means some things simply don't add up. The fact that even after 34 years we know jackcrap is the result of both careful writing/directing/editing and deliberate omissions where (IMO) Carpenter just said FUCK IT during the editing and post-production.

TLDR, it's still one of my very favorite films ever simply due to the unmatched isolation terror atmosphere, but it's not some high-end masterpiece where just about every puzzle is carefuly put there.
>>
>>78886553
>Childs turns into a monkey-thing
how did they get away with this?
>>
File: cute doggie.png (472KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cute doggie.png
472KB, 1280x720px
Something doesn't make sense:

a) Dog-Thing comes to the station, consumes Palmer or Norris and thusly creates a replica of the aforementioned Palmer or Norris. And then Palmer/Norris-Thing (probably) infects or assimilates Blair. Now we have two (three with Blair) Things + Splitface.

b) Mac and Doc bring Splitface-Thing from the Swedish camp (fatal mistake), for some reason Blair doesn't destroy it despite knowing it's still active, he stashes it instead, and thusly it kills and tries to imitate Bennings. But if we know how The Thing works, didn't it "eat" Bennings and then create the copy of him? If so, where's the original biomass, aka Splitface? And how the fuck could Bennings-Thing put on the jacket on with those damn hands?
>>
From the script:

>The Pub Area, like most of the rest of the camp, exposed to the outside. He sits down with his bottle of Scotch. A figure enters the frame. It's Childs. White and black blotches cover his frostbitten face. Both men speak guardedly and stare at each other suspiciously. He looks as weak as MacReady. A beat. Childs keeping his distance.

Scripts are not written for the audience or to "fool" the audience. They are written for the actors and film crew to understand the story. If Lancaster wanted the Scotch whisky to be poison or gasoline, he would have wrote that in for the actors to understand that ploy.

The bottle was filled with whisky, no fan fiction is ever going to change that.
>>
File: 1485407576101.png (41KB, 633x306px) Image search: [Google]
1485407576101.png
41KB, 633x306px
>>78889492
Yeah
>>
> perfect film
> no women characters

now, let's hear from all the bitter misogynists -
>>
>>78889333
Split face was burned along with the dog corpses
>>
Isn't it possible Mac was assimilated when he drank Blair's vodka in the shack? Which would explain his torn jacket being found?
>>
>>78890205
>Which would explain his torn jacket being found?

That was just either Palmer-Thing or Norris-Thing stirring a pot and creating paranois in the camp.
>>
>>78889531
>>78889492
So it it scotch or whiskey? From scotland it's whisky, from retarded bog hoppers it's whiskey
>>
>>78885924

>1. It's clear he was lying about seeing Blair

How so?

>2. His coat was different and has been proven with many scenes of him lit only by fire clearly wearing a blue then beige coat

Unsure about this

>3. He had no breath

He actually does. Watch the scene again. He sits down and you can see breath

>4. MacReady had a flamethrower under his blanket

so?

>5. Childs is dead in the (canon) Thing video game

lol

>6. Childs drank whiskey without even thinking twice about infection

He doesn't give a fuck at that point. He's been up for days straight, the base is gone, he's 100% dead. Do you really think he cares about what happens at that point?
>>
>>78889741
The Remake tried that and it was terrible.
>>
>>78889333

My personal theory is somewhat different. It is not norris-thing or palmer-thing which kills Blair, but instead the pile of thing-stuff which had been burned, /again/, and buried. This pile of biomass has just enough heat-juju to rejuvenate /again/ (we know that burnt carcasses can rejuvenate when sufficiently warm), and furthermore it makes total sense that during the two days of time not depicted on-screen, during the storm, that this carcass is able to re-activate and go for Blair in the shed as the easiest target.

In my view, the big biomass then goes into the basement area to hide, knowing that there are multiple things playing chess upstairs with the humans. To make a hackneyed analogy, the king (queen?) lies in wait while the remaining material mostly-cancels out and advances toward end-game.

It is this pile of biomass which marries up with Blair-thing, out-of-sight (and new-meat Garry, and possibly Nauls), to produce FINAL FORM Blair-thing. seen at the end.
>>
>>78890463

No it wasn't, it was perfectly fine. When you actually take in the prequel's story, there is no girl-power nonsense or love interest bullshit taking place. There is, in an early scene, a very practical piece of advice that maybe she doesn't want to be cooped up with a dozen guys all winter. This simple and natural mention is not parlayed into any raunchier jokes, "sexism", etc. And the sexism which is displayed advances the story in a useful way, a la Ripley: let's not take the woman seriously even though she does turn out to be totally right, but we only recognize it once it's too late. She honestly isn't that unrealistic of a Mary Sue.

Now if the film had depicted these (two) women shut in with the men for more than a few days, then it would naturally follow that some love interest/ etc bullshit might develop. the events of the film unfold so rapidly that happily, there is no time for that. e.g. Juliette was maybe fucking some guy on the side, but happily we never have to hear about any of that or even get a tangible hint of it in the movie. Alien, too, axed the idea of Ripley and Dallas being sexual partners IIRC.
>>
>>78890694
No, I mean the movie was terrible.
The MC could have been a man, and the movie would have still be terrible.
>>
>>78890463
>The Remake tried that and it was terrible.
Wasn't it a prequel?
>>
>>78890772
Was it?
I didn't even notice, and I just rewatched it a week ago.
>>
>>78890829
It was anon, Notice the axe and how the movie ends with the russian trying to kill the dog
>>
>>78890761

It wasn't though. It was an amusing companion piece to the Carpenter film.
>>
>>78890896
>The only guy that didn't knew english was the only survivor
Well, That's some shitty luck
>>
>>78890896
Oh shit, right after she burned the dude I stopped watching, so I never saw that scene.
>>
>>78886404
>watched it at long last with two closest friends
They fucking loved it. No bigger feeling of relief.
>>
>>78885924
>We solved this like 2 days ago
I too have seen Rob Ager's analysis
>>
File: latest.jpg (18KB, 640x260px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
18KB, 640x260px
>>78885411
The sequel was amazing as well. 10/10
>>
>>78886553
It can talk?
>>
>>78890438
>how so
Blair was clearly in the generator room since the power goes out right after Nauls sees Childs run out into the night. With everyone else dead who could he possibly have seen?

>not sure about this
Watch any scene in the movie where the only lighting is fire or a flare (Bennings scream, Fuchs discovery) his jacket is noticeably blue while standing next to people wearing jackets that match the one he's wearing at the end

>he does
I take that back after watching the scene again and conceded that earlier with Bennings having breath

>so
That was more to put any "was Mac the thing" comments that might come up from the picture saying only one of the thing

>lol
I'll drop the video game angle despite John Carpenter signing off on it and voicing a character if it pleases you

>Do you really think he cares what happens at that point
Yeah, I do considering their entire plan was to die AFTER killing it so it couldn't reach civilization through a rescue team. A Childs who was still human wouldn't risk assimilation at the very end
>>
File: 1465566910507.jpg (16KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1465566910507.jpg
16KB, 189x189px
>post YFW Mac wants the flamethrower
>>
>>78885924
>Childs was a thing

So, you didn't solve anything.

>3. He had no breath

STOP REPEATING THIS FALSITY.
>>
>>78890438
>Do you really think he cares about what happens at that point?

how about you watch the movie before you shitpost on /tv/
>>
>>78891459
Read the thread before posting
>>
File: 1448912328672.jpg (221KB, 626x958px) Image search: [Google]
1448912328672.jpg
221KB, 626x958px
>>78891417
>>
>>78890975
Me too, after she had her 'reeeee' moment and roasted the guy for no reason and took the vehicle I was done. Especially since she was all like 'I'm going to go to the russian base n' chill' so it implies that she made it. Absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>78885520
I thought eric did have a cameo. He was the trash bin in the rec room
>>
>>78891600
>roasted the guy for no reason

see >>78891481
>>
The figure ran out the door, THEN the lights went out. The generator was taken, did you see the figure carrying the generator outside? And when the lights went out, how would that put him in the generator room? Are you suggesting he was in the generator room, went upstairs, absorbed Childs, ran back down to the generator room I guess apparently the light switch is there? But he ran so fast back up stairs, we were able to see him outside before the lightbulbs went dark? He can run faster than the speed of light?

Or are you saying there is now a Blair-Thing and a Childs-Thing? Now Blair Thing absorbed Garry. Any particular reason Blair-Thing chose to absorb Garry, but chose to allow Childs to be a separate Thing in your fan fiction?

Did you think PalmerThing was trying to absorb Windows? Or was he trying to make him his little alien brother? He got chased out before absorbing him.

Did you think split face was trying to absorb Bennings or make him a little split face brother? Again he too got interrupted and escaped out the window.

Did you think the dogthing was trying to absorb the other dogs or make more dogthings? (BLAIR: "When this thing attacked our dogs, it tried to digest them. Aborb them.")

But let's assume for now Blair-Thing was "feeling generous" and allowed Childs to be his own alien. Did you ever see the aliens working together as a team? The novel is more clear on this - they will just as easily kill their own as they would a human.

With BlairThing now busy in the basement, if Childs was a thing, what was it's plan? To just go run around in the snowstorm? The point in that? If Childs was indeed attacked by Blair Thing, I want to see even a small hint Childs was attacked.

But a "coat goof" and "proximity" does not automatically equate to "Childs was attacked by Blair, so therefore he is a Thing!"

Your fan fiction contains zero common sense.
>>
>>78888656
He's not wrong. The inclusion of an American scientist chick would send a red flag that this is the protagonist, the way the prequel did. Having all men lets the movie play rough.

In some movies the inclusion of women is almost warranted, like Elm Street. The Thing didn't need it though.
>>
In shot 1: Childs (looking out the window) is wearing a medium blue coat. There are a total of 6 coats hanging on the wall shown on screen.

In shot 2: Childs missing. There are still 6 coats, if Childs is now a Thing, grabbed one of those coats, wouldn't there only be 5 coats left? Plus, now the coats are a mixture of different colors, likely because when the film crew re-staged it with props they didn't place everything back accurately.
>>
>>78890438
>people can redditspace on /tv/ now and not get called out for it
this place has changed
>>
>>78885486
Wrong. Neither are the Thing.
>>
>>78885411
>no MEW
>perfect

Pick one
>>
for it to be intentional, it would require shot 1 (with Childs) and shot 2 (Child missing) to be identical minus one coat. And those two scenes are completely different. Here's a more detailed break down.....

In shot 1:

1 - There are a total of 6 coats hanging on the wall shown on screen.

2 - The coat colors - 1 deep blue, 1 green, 1 light olive, 2 cream color, 1 black (can barely be seen stuffed between the two cream colored coats).

3 - 3 pairs of boots - one pair in the room corner, toes pointed out; 2 pairs shoved under the bench, toes pointed in.

4 - Coats are placed on various hangers.

5 - Childs (looking out the window) is wearing a medium blue coat.

In shot 2:

1 - There are still 6 coats, if Childs is now a Thing, grabbed one of those coats, wouldn't there only be 5 coats left? Plus, now the coats are a mixture of different colors.

2 - Now there are 2 green coats. Where did the second green coat come from?

3 - The other four coats are all now cream colored. What happen to the black, deep blue, and olive color coats? Well, Childs-Thing might be wearing one of them, though that doesn't account for the other two colored coats mysteriously disappearing...but lets go on for now...

4 - The coats are now rearranged somewhat, on different hangers. A cream colored coat is now hanging where the deep blue coat was. The newly appeared second green coat is now hanging where the olive coat was.

5 - The 3 pairs of boots - all three pairs are now shoved under the bench....but this time all of them with toes pointed out.
>>
>>78891675
No, she actually freaks out and roasts the dude for nothing. earring or no the dude more than likely wasn't a thing.
>>
File: 1485448863732m.jpg (78KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1485448863732m.jpg
78KB, 1024x576px
Ok so if Childs was the thing at the end why would he even come back to see Mac. I know the base blew up and he may of wanted to see what survived. But couldn't he have just ran off and stay out in the storm. No one could ever find him and he would freeze to be found by the other people. I just thought that if he was the thing he wouldn't have bothered with even going back to base as everything was destroyed and no one was going to live. Or is there a reason Childs (thing) came to see Mac at the end and risk dying?
Anyways just wondering what you guys think?
>>
>>78891773
Cont::

So the only way that theory would hold up is if this event happen:

Blair-Thing ambushes Childs and assimilates him. The room shows no sign of struggle. Perhaps a surprise ambush that renders Childs completely helpless. I will give some leeway there that Childs had no chance of fighting back for benefit of doubt.

But then this is what would have to happen next -

1 - Blair-Thing (or Child-Thing, whatever) takes the time to dispose of Child's medium blue coat....assuming it was shredded. Or at least it's now somewhere off screen.

2 - Grab the black coat, the deep blue coat, and the olive coat, hand carry them somewhere else in the facility where it could find 2 cream colored and another green colored, coats. Bring those coats back into the room, and rehang them. This is the only way for the colored coats mentioned for shot #2 could be there.

There was no one else there that could have possibly did all that rearranging and replacing of coats. Why would the alien bother doing all of that?

3 - Blair/Child-Thing then takes the boots and lines them up under the bench and makes sure the toes are now pointing out. Again...why would it bother with such an odd task?

All of that is quite the illogical stretch for all those off screen events to happen, not to mention that theory turns the alien into a fussy neat freak.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. And sometimes an inaccurate resetting a stage with props to film another scene is just an inaccurate resetting of a stage with props to film another scene.
>>
>>78891754
To continue: It's essential for the theme of paranoia being a tool of mankind's undoing if the surviving characters are both uninfected.

You WANT one of them to be infected, because that's human nature. You crave conflict and the destruction of potential threats, even when no actual threat is present.

Most of the deaths in the movie are the result of humans not trusting each other.
>>
Anyone see this before?

http://rflynn.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-thing-plot-narrative-chart
>>
>>78891677
Blair is in the generator room, goes upstairs to assimilate Childs. Assimilation can be done with just a finger if they feel like it. There is now a Blair-Thing and a Childs-Thing. Childs-Thing runs out into the snow in case Blair-Thing doesn't win while Blair-Thing destroys generator in the generator room. Where are you getting the idea that the generator was taken?

Blair-Thing absorbs Garry to bulk itself for the fight with MacReady. I thought that was obvious

Childs runs out into the snow to not be at the final showdown. When Blair-Thing lost he returned to make sure everyone else was either dead or eliminated. They aren't "working together" they're just looking out for each individual interest in the drive to create and assimilate more
>>
File: 1479350287124.jpg (17KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1479350287124.jpg
17KB, 500x372px
>there are people in this thread right now who believe that either of them were things
>mfw
>>
>>78892268
This was always my first thought as well, just two regular dudes so paranoid from all the shit they went through that they can't trust each other and can only laugh.
>>
>>78892268

>posting 'Childs is thing' bait
>the How To Get (You)s guide for dummies
>>
>>78885486
Holy shiiiieeeeeet

Never thought of that. Ties it all together, lol.
>>
Why are The Thing threads so fucking comfy?

We should get a an periodical stream of The Thing going and have this thread
>>
>>78893305
I miss the old school /tv/ streams. how can we revive them?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.