[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brit driving in France?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: france.png (19KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
france.png
19KB, 300x292px
I see there's a few threads here about France, but none of them address this. I never thought driving rules here would be so impossible - I'm not a native Brit, but living here for work now.

I have insurance and all my paperwork, but do they really expect everyone to have vests, breathalyzers, flares and headlight kits?

A few buddies were planning to head to Normandy for a 3 day weekend, but it seems almost like it would be easier to book a tour from Paris at this point
>>
>>1293365
I bought a cheap headlight kit but I never heard about the rest of that stuff.

I highly doubt they're gonna do much to a foreigner especially if you show you at least made an effort.
>>
>>1293365
Hi Opee,
French here.
I don't have a headlight kit because most modern cars won't allow you to change a lightbulb by yourself. Not to mention xenon. Not enforced.

Breathanalyzer was a scandal because there is no warranty of effectiveness, after a couple weeks in the summer inside a car it turns to shit. The real reason was because the senators who voted the law were shareholders of the only factory making those. So the law was voted but the gov had to backpedal and although you are forced by law to have one on board, there is no penalty for lack of one. Police won't even bother. Not enforced.

Safety kit (reflective vest and triangle) is pretty much standard and doesn't cost much. Usually they won't ask for it, however if your car breaks out on the highway and you don't have them they can fine you. Enforced if you don't have one when needed. Just buy one, it can really save your life.

Wtf would you need flares for?

What local law enforcement may give you shit for: search for drugs, especially if you are a bunch of 20 something in a foreign, funny looking car. Customs can search you and your belongings thoroughly without a warrant within 20km around a border, airport, Port, station...

Also due to the real danger of brits going Gumball 3000 in France because they couldn't have their license revoked, there have been an agreement that the cars could be seized if caught speeding. If you happen to drive a fast car and are tempted to race it from Calais to Normandy, know that local popo is waiting for you.
>ctd
>>
>>1293416
Continued
I wouldn't fear about police as much about migrants right around Calais area. Especially on your way back to England, no need to be paranoid but watch out when driving under a bridge and such, and keep focused on the road ahead, they are known to drop stones and stuff over cars, or put tree trunks and obstacles on the highways to create traffic jams, then climb aboard stopped trucks to try and go through the channel.
They really don't give a fuck if someone is harmed or killed in the process.

Sadly, if you see a gipsy looking guy in the middle of the road, step on the pedal and make him jump away, do not stop.
If you have room to drive around the obstacle, do so and then call emergency asap on the 112.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>1293416
Also I forgot, use the small deflectors on your headlights. It really is painful when you cross an English car with beams on. Police MAY enforce that, but French WILL resent you.
>>
>>1293419
>>1293417
>>1293416
Thanks, Anon! I've already picked up most stuff, surprisingly it's sold pretty cheaply at a local store. My main deal is going to be buying a warning triangle and some spare parts - a tire and bulbs.

I thought that the Calais jungle had been cleared? Sounds pretty terrible, Anon.
>>
>>1293529
At worse you can get the safety kit at the first supermarket or gas station (a bit more expensive) in France.
If you cross at Calais there's a huge Carrefour mall right away. So many brits drive thru just to fill their cars to the brim with cheap(er) alcohol but it's also a real hypermarché where non tourists shop too. You can find anything you need there, for the legit price.
Depending on your itinerary, if you need to hit the autoroute (blue signs, number starts with an A, speed limit 130kph) know that everything is more expensive there so I'd also advise to get stuff to drink and eat, as well as fill up gas at that Carrefour.
If you are not in a hurry, "freeways" (green signs) are high speed routes nationales that were basically traced across fields, speed limit is 110 unless specified otherwise. You may happen to cross small towns and stuff.
If you have time, the smaller nationales and départementales (white signs) usually are more scenic and can be less crowded. Speed limit is 90, unless specified otherwise. You get to cross small villages and stuff, not exciting in the north but can be beautiful in Normandy and southbound.

And you are right about the jungle, which makes them even more desperate to cross! Hence the hardened situation.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.